Word this morning that Kevin Lowe and Ritch Winter met long into the night (ironic, no?) in regard to Marian Hossa and closing the deal. Rumors abound that it’s 9 years, $81 million or thereabouts (SN talked about it yesterday) and people smart and dumb have been trying to figure out how Kevin Lowe will get down below the cap. Options:
- Trading Dwayne Roloson and stuff (first rounder, Schremp, Nilsson, etc) to a team with cap room for something small and tasteful, like a lamp.
- Trading Sheldon Souray and stuff (Chorney, Pouliot, Peckham, etc) to a team with cap room for a lesser draft pick.
- Buying out people.
- Blaming Glen Sather.
- Sending Souray to the minors.
- Trading Penner.
- Trading Visnovsky.
Some of those options are silly (why trade Visnovsky, I can’t spell his name correctly. YET!) and some of them are a dream (If Kevin Lowe can trade Souray’s contract he is G-O-D) but this is going to be close.
- GOAL: Mathieu Garon (1.1M), Dwayne Roloson (3.67M)
- LEFT DEFENSE: Sheldon Souray (5.4M), Denis Grebeshkov (1.5M), Ladislav Smid (.886M)
- RIGHT DEFENSE: Lubimor Visnovsky ($5.6M), Tom Gilbert (4M), Steve Staios (2.7M), Mathieu Roy ($.500M)
- CENTER: Shawn Horcoff (3.6M), Sam Gagner (1.625M), Andrew Cogliano (1.133M), Kyle Brodziak (.497M)
- LEFT WING: Dustin Penner (4.25M), Erik Cole (4M), Ethan Moreau (2M)
- RIGHT WING: Ales Hemsky (4.1M), Robert Nilsson (1.833M), Fernando Pisani (2.5M)
- TOTAL SIGNED PLAYERS: 19
- TOTAL DOLLARS SPENT: $50,894,000
- CAP: $56,700,000
- DOLLARS AVAILABLE: $5,806,000
SPOTS AVAILABLE: 4
Best choice: Deal Roloson for a pick, callup JDD and pay him $670k. It saves Lowe a clean $3M and based on the numbers above the Oilers would be within pennies. There would still be work to do and Deslauriers better be at least decent but that trade would swallow most of the problem. If needed.