Job Opening

The Edmonton Oilers don’t have very many job openings available for fall and they could probably go to camp with what they currently have and Marty Reasoner.

Why Marty Reasoner? Because the Oilers need someone who can fill that role. Faceoff man, blocking shots with face man, guy who’ll accept 15 minutes one night and a HS the next. A penalty killer, a guy who helps the kids who will eventually take his job to perfect the exact skills that have him on the roster. A class act who does his job well and makes himself valuable by doing everything asked while being a positive influence.

It’s a very important role, especially on a team with a lot of youth.

Reasoner is a utility outfielder, a guy who can field well enough to fill-in at centerfield and hit well enough to get a few spot starts in left and right. He’s Del Unser. Pretty decent hitter who could play regularly for a few weeks and then come in the day after losing his starting job and rip a double off the wall as a pinch-hitter.

Del Unser’s don’t have huge value in free agency and their skills are duplicated throughout the roster, but they’re extremely valuable because the things they do well are quite often areas of weakness for young players. The Del Unser’s of hockey don’t get signed July 1st, but they come in pretty fricking handy from October to June.

If Marc Pouliot had stayed healthy during the spring of 2006 (the Mono year) or if Kyle Brodziak had another year of experience then Marty Reasoner may already have signed in Los Angeles or Columbus or Jokerit or Yaroslavl. One day not too far in the distance, Marty Reasoner will be waiting by the phone for the call from the Edmonton Oilers and it won’t come.

I don’t think this is the year.

26 Responses to "Job Opening"

1. oilcountry says:

As always your blogs are a great read. Marty is valuable to this team no matter what anyone says. He knows his roll and plays it well…

Hoping I can get a link to my blog up with you.

oil country: Thanks. Your blog is on the menu now.

3. Traktor says:

I’m hoping if we bring in a player for our bottom 6 he will at least be able to drop the mitts.

4. PDO says:

I’m just going to sit in the corner banging a drum about Curtis Brown until he signs somewhere else or we pick up Marty.

Though…

I’ve read somewhere Neil is all but done in Ottawa?

That works too.

5. Kish says:

I’ve read somewhere Neil is all but done in Ottawa?

That works too.

woah, klowe has to take Chris Neil in a heartbeat, no? A physical presence, can fight, can play and by all accounts a good guy… I’d love this move. If its for real…

6. Dennis says:

I just sorta wonder why he isn’t here already if he’s still in the plans?

On the one hand, I have a hard job believing the club will roll with either of 13-51-78 to flesh out the second tough min line but OTOH, I thought Marty would’ve been brought back just as soon as 16 was sent out because, yes, they could use another older hand.

And what it all comes back to is if they’re OK with the possibility of missing the playoffs again and that possibility looms larger by throwing the kids such a plum role. And because we know they tried to move heaven and earth to bring in Hossa or Jagr, then I guess we know they’re certainly open to moving some things around and cutting the apron strings on some of the kids in order to make the playoffs.

So, that seems to point to Marty coming back but I just don’t understand why he’s not here by now? Are they secretly talking to Peca and Reasoner’s the fallback plan?

7. doritogrande says:

He’s still got a servicable body for the most part. Decent speed and character that’s really missing with the departure of Stoll.

I think you’ve hit it on the head in that he’s willing to take a 13th forward spot for the good of the team. Like the guy, he’s similar to Harvey in that matter. Shame he’s not still playing.

8. Traktor says:

You know who we need right now?

Ryan O’marra or Jean-Francois Jacques.

Both have the elements that we desperately need to fill out our 4th line. If one of them could step up and grab a spot it would be huge.

I will detest MacTavish if we sign Reasoner. What opposing player wouldn’t love to play against Reasoner? He isn’t a threat offensively or physically. We have too many easy players to play against to bring in Marty. JF at the very least will keep you on your toes.

9. Jonathan says:

I just sorta wonder why he isn’t here already if he’s still in the plans?

I had the same thought. I wouldnt be surprised if Reasoner were to return, but on the other hand, if he were a shoe-in I would have expected to see him signed already. It would not surprise me in the slightest if Lowe is looking at making another deal.

10. oilerdago says:

Lowe may be looking at another deal but a choice is going to have to be made. Is it more toughness or is it the ability to win an important face off (and kill penalties).

For all the complaints about 19, he is a reliable face off man and I’d submit that the key to the break out, successful PK or holding on to a late lead is puck possession.

Who else is out there right now that gives us those qualities?

Sign Marty already!

11. Jonathan says:

Who else is out there right now that gives us those qualities?

Curtis Brown.

12. Doogie2K says:

See, now, you’re not supposed to make me sad that he might not come back. I felt bad enough for the guy when he was shipped off to Boston right before the ’06 run.

(What can I say, I’m a sentimental bastard.)

13. IceDragoon says:

Good day.

jonathan: Curtis Brown

A guy who will be 39 years old next February and took all of 179/59.2% f-os in 33 gms, for about 5-6 per game last year. Really?

Last year Stoll took 1229/55.1% f-os in 81 gms. I’m thinking a good chunk of them were in the D-zone. Ditto for Horcoff, who took 963/50.6% in 53 gms; and Reasoner, who took 906/52.8% in 82 gms.

I can’t see how Curtis Brown is going to be able to replace much of what we lose in Stoll and Reasoner.
    sorry :-)

I take Marty back in a heartbeat for every reason Lain mentions, plus the piece of mind he brings to his coach.

You can’t expect anyone to look very good when they’re hauling around kids and misfits; or when they’re a defensive C moved to a scoring line because of injuries. But, give Marty some real NHLers like Pisani & Moreau, and he can shut down with the best of them when the pressure is on. Horcoff can’t do it all.
    ;-D

L8r
    Louise

14. dwillms says:

Brown was 59% on draws last year, but only played 33 games. The previous two full seasons he was average (50.6 and 51.4%).

I’d have no problem seeing Reasoner back, just at a lot less than the $950 K he made last year.

With so many similar options out there, I don’t see any reason to sign Marty for more than $600-$700 K for one year.

15. Islandlife says:

Or perhaps you could find an elite 40 goal first line centre who can win more than 51 percent of faceoffs and forego the Marty Party altogether.

16. heed says:

i hear they grow on a tree just west of the city.

17. heed says:

ps there is exactly one centre in the league that met that criteria last year. his name begins with a z.

18. Ribs says:

I suspect Marty was told to listen for offers this offseason and bite at anything better than what the Oilers could give him.

A lot of these names being thrown around aren’t really much of an improvement over Marty. Curtis Brown, Jason Williams…Bleh.. the difference would be marginal at best and I say that while not being a big fan of Marty Reasoner.

If MacT wants him, the team wants him, and he can teach the youngin’s a thing or two, sign him. There are worse moves to be made.

19. dawgbone says:

Traktor, Ryan O’Marra couldn’t carry Marty Reasoners jock strap right now. That kid is so many levels of messed up it isn’t even funny.

And what exactly does Jacques do at the NHL level? He doesn’t hit, he gets beat up worse than Stortini and worse, he gets out scored by Stortini.

This team needs an NHL centre who can do something of value, and Marty Reasoner is that guy.

20. Asiaoil says:

As I said in the Pouliot thread – Gratton have any value? He’s big enough and mean enough when he wants to be – of course motivation was/is always the issue with him.

21. Jonathan says:

Brown will be 33 in February, and has was noted, has been consistently above average at faceoffs since the lockout. His success (albeit in limited minutes) against good opponents was better than Reasoner‘s and he is also bigger and adds a more physical dimension.

Curtis Brown is not a huge upgrade on Reasoner, admittedly, and I like Marty so I really will not be broken up if he is back and Brown isn‘t considered, but Jason Williams does not belong in the conversation with those two. His offensive skills are well beyond those of Brown or Reasoner.

22. Gord says:

Reasoner = Sanderson…..

I liked Sanderson as the throw in with Pitkanen because it was important for the kids (we have a lot of them) to have long term NHLers show them in the locker room that hockey is a team sport – even at the elite level.

Sanderson was worth every penny we spent on him last year – Reasoner will be a perfect 14th forward – quietly sitting until injuries give him ice time…

If that is the role Marty is willing to play…….

23. Traktor says:

dawgbone, I think this team needs a player that can punish rear guards on the forecheck. I don’t think it’s out of the question that either O’marra or JFJ could come in and fill Glencross’ role.

I agree that this team could use a useful vet center but I don’t think that is Marty Reasoner. I would rather trade some assets for a legit shutdown center than sign a reserve forward to play my tough minutes.

24. HBomb says:

Everyone can say what they want about giving Reasoner the 14F spot, but we all know that MacT will not use him that way, that he’ll play 75 games at the expense of playing time for guys like Pouliot.

In the short term, maybe that helps win a couple extra games, but I’m not convinced it helps in the long run.

Either find another forward with a physical dimension (preferably a centre), or stand pat with what they’ve got.

Just say no to Marty Reasoner.

25. IceDragoon says:

Jonathan: Sorry. 1976 looked like 1970 thru sleep deprived eyes.

26. sexy says:

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,a片,情趣用品

A片,A片,AV女優,色情,成人,做愛,情色,AIO,視訊聊天室,SEX,聊天室,自拍,AV,情色,成人,情色,aio,sex,成人,情色

免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,言情小說,愛情小說,AV片,A漫,avdvd,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,情色文學,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,成人論壇

av女優,av,av片,aio交友愛情館,ut聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,色情聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080聊天室,視訊聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,上班族聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,情色視訊

視訊聊天室,聊天室,視訊,,情色視訊,視訊交友,視訊交友90739,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,UT聊天室,聊天室,美女視訊,視訊交友網,豆豆聊天室,A片,尋夢園聊天室,色情聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,080中部人聊天室,080聊天室,美女交友,辣妹視訊