Oilers Sign Stortini

This is Zach Stortini. It looks like he’s punching Neil Young, maybe 1972.

Stortini signed for $700,000 and it’s a three year deal. This comes on the heels of a rumor his agent was playing hardball. No disrespect to Stortini or his agent, but perhaps next contract is when they can hold their ground.

A nice contract, a nice signing for a guy who had a wonderful season. I think his being able to repeat the season just past is asking a bit too much but he’s earned a roster spot all the same and will no doubt get plenty of 4line minutes.

20 Responses to "Oilers Sign Stortini"

1. Bruce says:

Yahoo!

2. rickibear says:

How is he at taking draws?

3. Dennis says:

It’s not for gaudy bucks by any means but was there any need of giving him that third year? I know, I know;), if the cap keeps going up, 700K for Stortini for 2011 won’t be all that hamstringing.

I’m just still suspect that he can keep doing what he does and I don’t want it to be another Roy situation where we’re left with a guy on the books that we might not have a whole lot of need for.

Then again, Zach’s a lot further in establishing himself at the big league level than Roy is.

Speaking of Roy and the roster in general, I imagine he’s gonna be waived in hopes someone picks him up. So, now, we’ve got our 7 D and our starting 12 forwards look set so the biggest story, IMO, will be if we go with 13 or 14 forwards and if so, just how JFJ and Schremp play into things.

I imagine JFJ sticks as the 13th guy if he’s healthy but I doubt Schremp’s kept up as the 14th guy. We still have waiver claims on the guy so we can farm him back to SF but LT threw up a cool trade proposal the other day with RS for that kid Finn currently #3 netminder in Chi right now and that seems like a decent shot in the dark.

The advantage of having an owner with deep pockets is that sending Roy to the minors is no big deal. Wealthy teams get to have a slightly more depth because they can afford to pay one or two Roys in the AHL.

5. Bruce says:

Au contraire, Dennis, I think that third year is a steal for the Oilers. I was hoping for two years at $700 K per, and IMO there’s a good chance Zack outperforms from the beginning. By 2010 the league minimum salary will be pushing $600 K, and for not much more than that we’ll have a proven heart-and-soul banger with four years’ experience.

He might even know how to fight by then. :)

The question we need to ask in regard to Stortini is “can he do stuff?” I mean, his sabr numbers are impressive but is there any sustain?

Sometimes a .300BA means you’re an excellent hitter and sometimes it means you keep facing the Cleveland Spiders.

7. Tyler says:

Sometimes it means that you just had a year where everything went right, too. That said, I can’t get too worked up about this. Given his age and the fact that he’s a middle to heavyweight, I imagine that this contract is pretty movable if he’s surpassed. In those circumstances, I don’t really care about it too much.

8. Schitzo says:

Tyler:

It doesn’t even matter if it’s a moveable contract – at that price, I doubt Katz even blinks if he ends up spending time in Springfield

9. Jonathan says:

Absolutely in agreement here. I’d much rather see a three-year, 2.1M contract than a two-year, 1.4M contract. Even if Stortini falters, it’s basically a league-minimum salary, so there’s very little downside. If he succeeds, on the other hand, that 3rd year is on the cheap.

10. Bruce says:

Sometimes it means that you just had a year where everything went right, too.

Zack Stortini, 2007-08

Raw stats
    ————
    201 PiM (1st on Oilers)
    23 fights (1st)
    99 hits (2nd)
    +3 (3rd, 2nd among full-season Oilers)

Per/60 rates (min. 20 GP)
    ——————————–
    11.0 hits/60 (1st)
    1.33 GV/60 (1st)
    1.8 penalties drawn/60 (2nd)
    2.04 GA/60 (2nd, 1st among full-season Oilers)
    2.38 GF/60 (12th of 23)

-0.18 QualTeam (3rd lowest)

You can argue the importance of this stat or that one, but I don’t think you can argue that’s a lot of things going right. As a development year for a guy who had barely lost his rookie status, Zack’s season was, in a word, phenomenal.

11. Lord Bob says:

You know, the more I think about it, what’s the difference between a young Zach Stortini and a young Kelly Buchberger?

Both middleweight guys who aren’t top fighters but would throw with anywhere, all the skill of blocks of wood, and an incredible facility on an energy line that still leads people to say ‘yeah, but has he got enough skill to keep up?’

I gotta tell you, I’m optimistic.

12. CM says:

I think this is a great signing…and this along with the nilson, hemsky, gagner and cogliano contracts give the oilers a potential to have 5 contracts that could well be out performed in the next 2 years.

I don’t think thats something we could say since the oilers made their fabulous run in 06.

13. Coach pb9617 says:

Tyler is the Eeyore of the blog world. The rageaholic Eeyore, but Eeyore nonetheless.

14. therealdeal says:

Fantastic news.

15. therealdeal says:

fan-tastic.

16. Doogie2K says:

I’ve been running off that comp almost from the beginning. So far, so good.

This comp…almost made me lose my drink. Nice, Coach.

17. Asiaoil says:

So JDD is the last RFA? Him signing a one year KHL deal could work for all parties concerned. He gets some cash and playing time – we free up the AHL starter slot for DD and get another year to evaluate Garon.

18. RiversQ says:

I’d say skating is a big difference there.

19. Peeeete. says:

^
    ^

and weight, I think…

(unless bucky at 20 was bigger than I recall).

20. AM says:

I like both Roy and Stortini.

I thought Stortini showed tremendous maturity last year in picking his fights, was effective and coachable.

Roy got really unlucky last year, but I enjoyed his brief stint as a forward:)