Oilers Trade Torres for Brule

The Edmonton Oilers have traded Raffi Torres to Columbus for Gilbert Brule (standing in photo below). His cap hit is $1.247M and he’ll be RFA next summer.

Brule was a very high draft pick who failed to develop, as often happens with poor teams (call it the Greg Joly phenomenon). Brule is a natural center, and was the 6th overall pick in the 2005 draft (that was the Cogliano draft).
ISS compared Brule as a player (in terms of style) to Theo Fleury. They also said: he plays with intensity at all times and is a scoring threat whenever he is on the ice. This is a salary dump for a guy who might develop into something. His numbers in Columbus this past season were poor and he was no hell in the AHL either.
This is a salary dump and moving a player whose health was a concern. It also means the Oilers are softer in terms of established NHL players. Incredibly.

39 Responses to "Oilers Trade Torres for Brule"

1. Tyler says:

What a garbage trade.

2. Ribs says:

Another one bites the dust. Finally we give up on this guy. I like it.

3. therealdeal says:

Glass for sand?

4. goldenchild says:

And the first shoe falls, clearly a salary dump but suddenly the Eric Cole rumors sound a lot more likely.

Can we assume Brule would be in Springfield and that number wouldn’t count on the cap?

I am curious about the big picture here, Oilers have moved lot of grit off the roster

5. Jonathan says:

I agree with the consensus that this is a clear salary dump. It also makes this team weaker on the port side, and we are now forced to rely on Ethan Moreau in a third line role. I will reserve final judgement until we see what the next move is.

6. Traktor says:

I see Brule developing into a Kesler type player. Great deal for the Oilers.

7. PunjabiOil says:

He’s a 6th overall pick that got rushed. Made the team as an 18 year old, had 19 points in 78 games. Struggled last year, but obviously has talent.

Depends what Lowe does with the cap space.

Brule will need a season in the minors to get himself going in the right direction imo.

He’s about where Daniel Cleary was when he came over from the Hawks: dazed and confused.

9. CM says:

this sucks

If they do this deal and then sign Darcy Tucker this will be a terrible, terrible day.

And they better fucking sign Glencross now.

12. CM says:

If they sign tucker I’ll start forming a lynch mob

13. honkey says:

This means they to sign GlenX right?

14. goldenchild says:

I’m hping it means Glencross is back in the fold.

Brule’s style married to his size (5-10, 180) mean he’s going to be an injury risk througout his career.

His injuries are things like “broken leg” and “sternal clavicular sprain.”

16. Backhand says:

As it stands this is a terrible move. Our only physical top 9 forward is now gone for a project.

I was excited to see what Raffi does with out Stoll, i expect big things from him this year.

17. Dennis says:

If this means that Raffi’s out for Glencross and we don’t overpay Curtis in the process, then it also means that Curtis had better be ready to play against more than just the 4th liners of the world.

You wonder if the Oilers are gonna take Sortini off the 20-51-46 line and replace him with 34 and ask them to play the toughs?

It’s either that or the Oilers are going hell bent for leather for Hossa and we’re gonna be left with very little depth.

The whole picture isn’t complete right now and that’s the way Lowe has always done things; it takes about four movements to walk a step.

But straight up, this is a shitty move unless Torres discipline problems have reached the point where he’s no longer worth dealing with.

18. Jonathan says:

There is now nobody on the left side that I trust in the 3rd line checking role. I understand the need for the salary dump, but the only way this trade works is if Lowe picks up a top-6 LW with some of the money cleared.

19. Ducey says:

Great trade.

Glad to see that last of Torres. Way over rated.

Brule is very young and has been rushed. He went right from the WHL to the NHL. Half a year in Springfield and he should be ready. He serves as real nice depth with huge upside. Smart, skilled, has done it all in junior. Born in Edmonton too.

Only downside is that the Oil are more smurflike than ever. GlenX still around by any chance?

You know and I knew it. I knew it when the Oilers were giving updates every bloody 20 minutes on Ethan rifles and Sheldon Souray and Raffi could have joined the freaking Clash and there’d be no word on him.

I like Glencross, Dennis. But as “insurance” against injuries to Moreau and Raffi, not as the guy batting 5th or 6th at the end of the offense and playing 3b.

The one silver lining might be that they can keep Pitkanen. They better be on a LW like fly on stink now, though.

22. Dennis says:

Just to finish my thoughts on this. Brule doesn’t look like anything worth getting worked up about and perhaps he’s the guy to take Schremp’s place in the “potential” pile if we include Robbie in another quanity for quality deal; yes, Lowe did make one on Sunday night;)

Lowe just made room for Antoine Vermette or Erik Cole.

Vermette would be a great addition. Perhaps the most under-appreciated Senator.

24. CM says:

I miss Raffi…I freaking hate this trade…raffi can have a long carreer in this league as a larger meaner kris draper…

I just wish the oilers knew how to use him.

25. CM says:

Cole has one good season left in him and I doubt he ever gets 30 goals again. He’s 30 and hes already broke his neck once. and it makes no sense to pay 4 mil for something we could have had in torres for 2…If this was to make room for cole I’m gonna be some pissed…

26. Dennis says:

Yeah, I guess this does mean they can keep Pitkanen but only if they pick up a LW who has like one year left on his contract.

This saves them, what ~1.6, so that could go towards keeping Pitkanen but I sorta had a feeling that both 14-25 would be on the way out if a scorer’s coming in.

I still think Pitkanen goes for Cole or Cole-similar.

And, Lain, when you said, “you know it, I know it” do you mean the Oilers are shedding skin for Hossa or that Raffi’s off-ice stuff was to the point he was no longer carrying? You know, I was a guy who loved 20′s ball of energy demeanour and the like and I’m not a hater of his by any stretch. In fact, I also think he should take all the money he can get. But my deal was that for whatever goals Raffi didn’t score, he could still play top six tough min and keep the head above water. Heretofore, we have no indication that 20 can do the same.

Now, if he does score 15 and he’s even at season’s end and he’s making 1.5 or less, then this was the right move.

But I’m a “show me” guy.

27. therealdeal says:

Cole is in. Pitkanen out.

28. Oilman says:

Pits for Cole is done

Dennis: I meant “I knew it” that the Oilers were going to take him out back and shoot him. You can always tell with this organization going back to the Paul Coffey rip jobs Sather used to beat him down with before he was traded.

We got an update on Raffi maybe January 10th and then jack diddly right down the line. No “Raffi on a bike” features, that I saw anyway.

30. Jonathan says:

Off topic, I know, But the Wings just resigned Stuart at 3.75M/yr for the next 4 years. Somebody tell me he would not have gotten 4.5M on the open market.

31. Ribs says:

Cole. Awesome.

32. Backhand says:

Torres and Pitkanen for Cole and Brule. *Gag*

33. Showerhead says:

If Cole is a Torres replacement, then did we just trade Pitkanen for Brule?

I’m probably kidding, but shit.

Also, Cole’s 4M contract expires at the end of this season. Could the stars be aligning for one certain Marian? Dare to dream.

34. Bill Needle says:

I’m surprised the Oilers could get anything in a trade for Torres, a guy who has difficulty passing and accepting a pass and who just had an ACL injury.

35. Showerhead says:

Cole did, according to behindthenet, play Carolina’s toughest opposition, come out a plus, score 20 odd goals, and draw the 4th or 5th most penalties per 60 in the league. The intangibles are certainly there.

36. CM says:

I just hope showerheads dream comes true…

I should have taken my wife’s advice and stayed in bed this morning.

37. Jonathan says:

I’m surprised the Oilers could get anything for Torres, a physical LW who not only has a legitimate scoring touch, but can play the toughest opposition in the league and not get outscored in a checking role.

Wait, no, I’m not. I’m surprised that all they got is a fellow who scores at a rate that will make J-F Jacques feel better about himself.

38. Dennis says:

Nice find on the penalties drawn, SH.

The way you layed it out makes some sense and makes it look like 14′s a pure salary dump and had no value around the league OR the Oilers have some real faith in Brule.

I’m not advocating that trade but I’m just trying to see things from a depth position forward wise; Oilers are starting to get thin at forwards who aren’t in the NHL. Schremp’s in his third year, Truk’;s about to start his second and JFJ’s no longer waiver exempt. So, we could use another guy to have a chance with.

But, Brule doesn’t look like anything much and Raffi was a tough min outscorer.

39. CrazyCoach says:

I don’t know why everyone is so down on Brule? The kid can play. The only knock on him right now would be that his skating is not quite up to par.

Columbus rushed him along too quick, and he’s paid the price for it. MacT will turn him into a player. Mark my words.