Something New

I’m adding “labels” to all the posts on this blog. Is it helpful? I think probably but it’s a huge pain in the ass to do. I’ll have a post up later tonight but have about 300 more of these bloody labels to add to posts from last spring/summer.

In the meantime, the Yankees are on television (Rogers) and the beer is cold. Jays have the Jesse Barfield uni’s going and Doc on the mound too. If only George Bell were here to throw to the wrong base.

19 Responses to "Something New"

1. rickibear says:

Be carefull LT: Please back-up all the posts until you are done.

Is this a comment on my “Al Gore” ability? :-)

3. PDO says:

LT:

I demand a label label for this post!

Don’t forget the Lions are playing the Bombers, in the matchup between the two gross underachievers thus far….

The beer here is cold too… and that matters far more than the label :D

4. Black Dog says:

Ah, the best outfield in baseball. Moseby running as the ball sailed over his head for extra bases. Barfield striking out on the breaking stuff. Bell being Bell.

I was in high school when they started getting good and this was my first experience with the T.O. media hype machine. Never could figure out why a team with Jim Clancy as their third man in the rotation and a guy hitting 200 at DH didn’t win 6 World Series.

never mind the d

And then White and Alomar and Carter and Guzman and Cone and Morris and Winfield and holy shit.

Wells and Key coming out of the pen in the playoffs and Ward as your setup man.

Airtight D.

Right. Now I get it.

5. rickibear says:

No there were lots of people just as heart broken as you with the famous page re-build.

6. dstaples says:

I can tell you one thing, Lowetide, you yourself are going to find these labels helpful when you have to suddenly find that post you did last November on, say, what great potential Ladi Smid has ;).

I’m going to find the labels helpful, too, so thanks. Good addition.

7. Jonathan says:

It also makes it easier for your opponents to pillory your silly opinions years later. I jest, I jest ;)

8. Knamely Lacked says:

“suddenly find that post you did last November on, say, what great potential Ladi Smid has.”

Or how he turned out to be Tommy Albelin (I’d be very happy if Smid turned out to have a career similar to his)

Damn, did Roy Holladay ever make short work of the Yankee batters tonight?

Yeah he’s pretty good.

9. DeBakey says:

Yeah
    But you’ll never have to worry about that Almtorp one ever again

10. Coach pb9617 says:

*AHEM*

You are missing a KEY label.

11. Coach pb9617 says:

The one between Strudwick and Syvret

Sykora is mentioned on the blog (ufa’s mostly) but I haven’t done a post on him.

Is that who you’re refering to?

13. Doogie2K says:

How did I miss your Valeri Kharlamov post? I named one of my old World of Warcraft characters after him.

14. Coach pb9617 says:

Awcomeon.

Sugartits.

15. Dennis says:

A thread that extols the virtues of both the Jays AND Smid?

It is to laomit; pronounced Laa-mit ie a combination of laughing and vomiting.

16. dstaples says:

I didn’t actually read Lowetide praising Smid. I just heard he had done so. But I’m as guitlty of over-hyping him as anyone, mainly because when I first saw this kid’s skill set (tremendous agility on skates combined with stickhandling ability) I thought: J.C. Tremblay.

Now I’m still guilty of over-hyping him because when I see his agility combined with mean streak, I think: Jiri Bubla.

Ah, J. C. Tremblay. That’s a name from the past and actually a really good name to bring up when discussing Smid. Kid has no idea what he’s doing but even at that can make people miss and carry the puck for long stretches. At this point he’s in over his head, has been for ages but still hangs in there. I’ve taken all kinds of shit and abuse for defending him and calling him Albelin but the shoe fits dammit and that’s just the way it is.

Remember Tremblay on the PK? He’d play keepaway.

18. Bruce says:

LT: You’re right. They used to call it “ragging the puck” back in the days when players actually used to do it. Dave Keon was a master of it, but among defencemen J.C. was one of the best, at least until Bobby Orr broke in.

The other thing J.C. was (in)famous for was his bounce shot. He’d lob it in from centre, the damn thing would take a hop (or two) around the hashmarks, and it could go anywhere. Son of a bitch scored about 5 goals a year and 1 or 2 of those would always be on that bounce shot. Used to give Terry Sawchuk in particular, fits.

Give or take Vesa Toskala, goalies have learned to play that shot far differently since J.C.’s day … now they charge out more aggressively and try to get right in front of that first hop.

One of the few helmeted players when I started watching the game, Tremblay had a reputation of being a bit soft, and was much more the playmaker than pure scorer. He was sort of the Sergei Zubov of his day, real cerebral although slightly more prone to brain cramps which could be very entertaining for Hab-haters like I was in my youth. J.C. spent his entire 20-year career (1959-79) in his home province of Quebec, putting up some pretty decent offensive stats in Montreal (where he won 5 Stanley Cups) and some outstanding ones with in Quebec. He was very nearly a point-per-game defenceman for the entire 7-year history of the Rebel League, twice winning the Dennis Murphy Award for top defenceman, and once winning the Avco Cup.

I never liked him much, but I think I’d like him fine today when I’m far less prone to judge a guy based on the colour of his sweater. Reputed to sneak a puff or two between periods, he was a real character in a Gallic sort of way.

19. Dennis says:

LT: the shoe won’t fit until he actually starts putting up a couple of points.

I like the kid more and more but it appears more and more that he’ll be one dimensional at best.