This is Bryan Lerg. Plenty of his arrows are pointed in the right direction this fall. Although the Oilers have all kinds of candidates for the forward positions 11-14, Lerg is in a strong position for many reasons.
- He’s a shooter (somewhat unique at the back end of the roster)
- He’s older than many of the prospects (22)
- He can score goals (43 goals in his final 83 NCAA games)
- Left Wing is a fluid position (injury concerns, Glencross leaving)
- Salary is $568,500 (fills the Brad Winchester salary slot)
Size (5-10, 175) is a concern but this is a player who could make the roster for all kinds of reasons. The salary item could be a big deal, as Lerg is value priced considering the other players trying to win roster spots after the top 10 (Horcoff line, kid line, Brodziak-Cole-Pisani plus Moreau makes 10 locks for the roster).
- Ryan O’Marra ($1.267M)
- Gilbert Brule ($1.247M)
- Marc Pouliot (about $1M unless he signs for less than qualified #)
- Rob Schremp ($775,000)
- Ryan Potulny ($707,000-that’s a guess)
- JF Jacques ($701,000 or thereabouts)
- Slava Trukhno ($683,300)
- Zack Stortini (about $587,000)
- Bryan Lerg ($568,500)
- Liam Reddox ($508,000)
- Tim Sestito ($487,000-I think)
Lerg is at the tail end of the group and fits the “skill group” that would include Schremp, Potulny, Trukhno and Reddox. At a guess, I’d say the favorites for 11-14F going into camp will be a signed Marty Reasoner and Stortini, Pouliot and Schremp. The Oilers have also talked at length about adding toughness, so a UFA signing or trade for a tough guy will further tighten the roster. If Bryan Lerg comes to camp and pops a few goals, he could make the this roster and send someone like Potulny or Pouliot to another team or Rob Schremp back to the Black Hole of Calcutta.