The 2009 Deslauriers

This is Jeff Drouin Deslauriers playing goal in the AHL. He’s without his stick and appears to be stopping a shot that originated from the top of the score clock.

The Oilers signed JDD the other day to a one-way contract. It’s a two-year deal that apparently pays him (thanks to Louiss at HF) $550,000 and then $750,000.

I like the signing. It’s very low risk for a few reasons. Unlike the EIG era paying Deslauriers $550,000 to play in the AHL is possible. Also, it’s a stretch to suggest that Deslauriers is one of the 60 best goalies available to NHL teams so the waiver risk isn’t huge.

Plus, and this is the important thing, if they lose the guy to waivers it isn’t the end of the world. Unless Deslauriers is one of those rare players who shows up in the big leagues and becomes better than the minor league numbers suggest (Matt Stairs was a little that way) due to ballpark effects et cetera then we’re dealing with a marginal NHL player who is likely to have several stops along the way.

One quote I found especially interesting came from one of our favorites: “Jeff made some significant strides last season and now appears ready to challenge for a spot on our hockey club,” Oilers VP Kevin Prendergast said in a statement on the Oilers site.

Let’s see it that’s true: Jeff’s made significant strides. The best way to measure goalie performance is save percentage, and although (like E.R.A.) it can change from season to season quality goalies finish in their respective league’s top 10 yearly. So in order for KP’s statement to be true then JDD would need to have improved markedly year over year. Right?

• 06-07 Deslauriers SP: .908 (tied for 21st)
  • 07-08 Deslauriers SP: .912 (16th overall)

Slight improvement, but enough for a one-way deal? No. Perhaps Prendergast meant Deslauriers was more consistent? Maybe Deslauriers had more periods of strong goaltending and fewer times in the sewer this past season.

2006-07 Deslauriers
  • months over .920: 3
  • months under .900: 2
  • Best month: .923 in 7 games
  • Worst month: .865 in 5 games

2007-08 Deslauriers

• months over .920: 3
  • months under .900: 1
  • Best month: .934 in 10 games
  • Worst month: .861 in 6 games

It doesn’t look like Deslauriers has shown tremendous improvement year over year but what I don’t know about goaltending is a lot. Deslauriers is 8 percentage points clear of his G partner Devan Dubnyk (.912 to .904) and was one of the two best options a year ago (JDD was at .908 with the Penguins in 06-07, compared to Andrew Penner at .891 but took a back seat to Nolan Schaeffer who posted an impressive .914SP in 15 games with Scranton).

I think this is a case the team deciding to give him a chance in training camp to push Dwayne Roloson for the backup job. If he performs well enough, the Oilers may very well keep 3 goalies until Roloson’s salary reduces to the point where Colorado takes him off the Oilers hands. If he doesn’t, they send him down and lose his rights or pay him a little extra for his trouble.

Not really an endorsement so much as a strategic use of assets.

63 Responses to "The 2009 Deslauriers"

1. Tyler says:

What in the fuck is this? They didn’t have to give him a one way deal – why would they? They could have qualified him at his old NHL salary + a raise.

I don’t really care one way or the other but this is kind of a pointless waste of money.

2. Ben says:

are you trying to tell me that you built a time machine… out of a deslauriers?

3. Schitzo says:

tyler – it also makes teams that are on a budget think twice before making a waiver claim. In his second year, Katz may not care about spending $700,000 a year extra if JDD is in the minors, but I bet Buffalo or Tampa Bay does

4. Asiaoil says:

So we just signed Steve Valliquette circa 2003 to a 2 year one-way deal – colour me unimpressed. Lowe love’s his assets – especially the bargain basement variety it seems.

OK so Lowe’s had a pretty good summer but these one way deals for 3rd rate prospects have gotten bit silly. I know we have money to bury guys in the minors – but let me get this straight – we didn’t want to give GlenX a couple hundred extra thousand but are perfectly willing to piss away couple million on Roy, JFJ and JDD on one way deals. All who will contribute little or nothing this year. That makes absolutely no sense. At least GlenX was a useful NHL player – and you can’t really say that about the other 3 guys. If we want to spend more money – how about taking the same dollars we will waste on those chumps and using it on elite level coaching (not Pete Peeters) and scouting in Europe (not Kent Nilsson). At least that may produce more wins down the road.

I’ve said my piece on JDD a dozen times on HF – there’s just nothing there to suggest he’s anything other than a journeyman backup except optimism and rose coloured glasses. Like Tyler said – a pointless waste of money.

Well hold on a minute, Asia. The Glencross negotiation (and dollars discussed) were at the beginning of the UFA season and the Oilers had bigger fish to fry at the time.

I can completely agree that signing Glencross was the way to go (said so at the time). However, using that decision in regard to Deslauriers is a stretch imo.

If this guy can play well enough for the Oilers to feel comfortable trading away Roloson at any time this season then it’s money well spent imo.

6. doritogrande says:

Asia: I thought JFJ was on a two-way this year and one-way next, no?

I think it’s in the best interst of the franchise to bump Deslauriers to the big club, if only just to get DD the starter’s minutes. I think there is little else JD can do at the minor league level besides steal development time away from the younger goalies. He’s a decent goaltender with lots of size, why not give him a shot to fight it out against a much more expensive Dwayne Roloson for the backup’s job?

While it’s true that a Garon-Roli tandem looks much better on paper than a Garon-Deslauriers twosome, we’ve got youth developing everywhere on this team but in the nets. Why leave them out of all the fun? There’s gotta be a team in desperate need to get to the cap floor (Atlanta? LA?) that they take on a year of Roloson salary for say, a 4th rounder.

7. Tyler says:

Well sure, LT. If that’s what you’re looking for though, you can find it somewhere else at the same price, with a greater likelihood of panning out for you though. That’s what doesn’t make sense about this deal – even if it works out and lets them move Roli (and really, who cares if they move Roli? So it saves Katz a few bucks great – he’s a very good backup), they have better odds of achieving that outcome if they sign someone else.

8. Asiaoil says:

But there is zero evidence that he can replace Roloson LT – and gambling 20-25 games on him makes no sense since that could cost us a playoff spot. I’m of the opinion that an elite backup goalie is the best money you can spend in terms of getting wins. What other player making a million or less can have that type of impact in about 20-25 of your games?

I’m just pointing out that Lowe got all tight-fisted with GlenX on one hand – but has been overly charitable with Roy, JDD, and JFJ. Sure these 3 contracts are smaller – but not that much and together they add up to a much larger number. It doesn’t make sense except that he is paranoid about losing any asset – no matter how little it’s worth.

9. Asiaoil says:

……and as Tyler said – add another $500,000 to JDD’s salary and get a proven backup – not a lottery ticket.

Tyler: I would have been thrilled if the Oilers had signed Emery to be honest. Failing that, they’ve drafted the guy and he’s developed to this point and it doesn’t seem like a huge issue to see if he can play a secondary role.

How many goalies are currently available who are clearly better than Deslauriers?

Asia: They can still do that at any time. Deslauriers is signed and coming to camp. His salary number can be flushed at any time and really I don’t understand the worry about Katz’ money.

I mean, as an Oiler fan since 1972 it’s kind of cool to think about pulling a Lou on some guy’s contract. Even if it is a marginal goalie.

12. Asiaoil says:

Who is clearly better than JDD – Roloson for one :)

….and when you are talking about a guy who can’t even break the top 15 in AHL save percentage – then there are a lot of better options.

Anyway – if we want to save money then why sign these fringe guys to one way deals? If we want quality then why sign these fringe guys to one way deals. Makes no sense.

In any case – I want Lehtonen :)

13. PunjabiOil says:

I agree with AsiaOil. JDD has done nothing of note that inspires confidence in me that he will be a good goalie in the NHL. He’s never posted solid numbers, even in junior.

Sure, Katz can bury him in the minors. Or Lowe could just have rather spent 2M/2 years on Auld. Or like suggested by Lowetide, gone after Ray Emery.

I am not certain, as bad as Roloson was last year, that JDD will be even better.

As Bob Stauffer suggested today in the Sun, why not spend the 50-60K on a proper goalie coach, when you invest 3M on your starting goalie?

It also pisses me off they didn’t buy out Mathieu Roy. He serves no purpose on this team this year. He could have been bought out for a mere 167K, spread over 2 years on the cap hit. With Chorney supposedly being ready, and Strudwick signed, what exactly will he be doing?

As mentioned by Asia, there are plenty of other better purposes this money can go towards. Scouts make peanuts – even the best ones.

I don’t really have any confidence in JDD. We’ll see what happens.

Actually, Deslauriers did post quality numbers in junior. Granted it was his final season, but JDD’s .916SP in his final junior season was third overall in the Q.

15. Jonathan says:

Last season, Souray, Smid and Greene were all down with long-term injuries, plus Pitkanen was day-to-day for practically the entire season. While predicting cataclysmic injuries to the Oilers defense corps may seem unlikely, the last few years it has been inevitable.

Last year Allan Rourke (13 games), Mathieu Roy (13 games), Bryan Young (2 games), Theo Peckham (1 game) were all outside the top-seven and played. Right now, outside the top-seven, the Oilers have Roy, Peckham, Chorney, and Hrabal. Outside of Roy, I really wouldn’t want to be forced to rely on any of them.

Roy’s a cheap decent, insurance policy, and he can live in the minors for as long as required. What is the problem with that?

Absolutely agree on Auld. Pass on Emery, thanks.

I’m actually quite surprised by the reaction on this signing. I would have thought that NOT signing Deslauriers would be met with this kind of reaction.

Again, I don’t think the signing should have surprised anyone. The one-way aspect of it is a “paper” only contract in that they can just send him down with no real worry from an asset or money pov

17. mjsh says:

I am still not totally sold on Garon. He had significant good games last year and was great on the shootout. However, just before he got hurt when Mac T played him a lot, he started to look like he was running out of gas. Rolly almost got us in the playoffs. I think that they should play 35 to 38 games each and get some rest. Deslauriers can play the other few games. I still think the Oilers need an upgrade on the first line. While I like Penner, Horcoff and Hemmer, we do not have an Iginla or a Nash.

18. Ribs says:

In year that sees us playing the kids a tonne I can’t complain about this signing. The guy’s been dragged along this long, we might as well see what he can do. I think he’s probably topped out at the AHL level and Dubnyk needs to see some ice time so this is the most logical move here.

Goalies are tough to read. At some point you have to put them into an NHL situation and hope for the best. JDD is clearly not a rising star goalie prospect and needs to focus on getting prepared to backup a starter if he wants to play in the NHL. The Oilers have believed in him up to this point and there’s little reason to give up on him now.

We just have to remember that he is just a small cog in the wheel right now. Nothing to get too worked up about at this point.

19. PunjabiOil says:

Thing is, JDD had little leverage in the negotiations. Why couldn’t the Oilers have structured the contract in the same manner of Roy, Brodziak, or Jacques?

I just don’t get it.

20. Ducey says:

“I’m actually quite surprised by the reaction on this signing.”

Yeah, well consider the source. Some half full glasses there.

This makes tonnes of sense. Roli is the backup fellas. Why should Lowe go out and get a “real backup” TM when he has got two real good goalies already?

Lowe is not totally sold on Garon. He still likes Roli. He is going to see what shakes out during the first half with them. If Garon is great again, he can move Roli at the deadline. If not then he has 1A.

On top of this he has JDD, who if he signs to a 2 way he is likely going to lose on the waiver wire. So he pays a little extra of Katz’s cash (not yours) to keep him around just in case – who knows, he might help out in pinch. He might be the backup after Roli gets traded. Whats the big deal?

Its called depth. It provides options. Its a good idea.

As for confidence and save percentage, well, Garon was no superstar before last year was he? I don’t think the Oilers pick him up for $1M a season if he was. Then some switch flips and blam, he is apparently a #1 goalie. If you look at his historical save % he has been all over the map. His early history is actually not that dissimilar to JDD.

Look at Conklin, I think he finished with the second highest save % in the NHL last year. He must be better that Kipper, Brodeur and Luongo eh?

Unless you are lucky enough to find a goalie who can keep it together season after season – and there about 10 of those guys – a good GM will get a bunch of goalies with good pedigrees and just ride the one that gets hot.

As for Glen X, its got nothing to do with JDD and everything to do with Pouliot, Moreau and Stortini. Lowe obviously decided that he was going to get a Cole or someone and Glen X was not going to play ahead of those three.

PJ Oil: I don’t see any real difference between the JDD deal and the Roy deal. Katz may pay a little more for a player the procurement department likes more.

Why is this such a hot button issue when it doesn’t hurt the cap number AT ALL?

22. PunjabiOil says:

What in the fuck is this?

There couldn’t have been a better post introduction than this.

23. CM says:

I like this signing…I doesn’t affect the team cap wise and it manages the oils assets. Whats not to like.

I agree with resigning Garon…his value is lower now than if he has a great season…if he has a poor season…well then we waive him and let him rot in the minors…but the benifit of the extra cap room if we resign him now and he has a great season is worth the risk imo…

24. PunjabiOil says:

I disagree. Roy’s contract was only one-way in the 2nd year.

Why is this such a hot button issue when it doesn’t hurt the cap number AT ALL?

It’s possible Katz will push JDD into the minors and continue to pay him his salary. At some point though, you have to consider whether Katz is really keen to pay 3/4 of a million dollars for a minor league calibre goalie. Katz didn’t become rich by throwing away money.

I’m personally upset that JDD was given an extra year. For a guy who rejected his qualifying offer because he wanted a one-way contract, he really had no leverage. I’m not sure why the Oilers brass felt they were obligated to give him a second year (at one-way). Further, as AsiaOil has argued very well – JDD is simply not an NHL calibre goalie.

The ”It’s not your money! It’s Katz’s money!” is hardly a strong argument. While we’re at it, lets give T.J. Kemp a three year, one-way contract.

Why not?

“It’s Katz money!”

25. Kev says:

I am actually supporting all three;
    I’m still a big Roli fan. Still a warrior goalie in my books.
    Also loved that we got Garon and at such a good deal, so lots of torn feelings when he took over starter duties.
    Always felt kinda bad for JDD because there wasn’t a team for him to start out with. I’m hoping it’s a sign of his character that he stuck it out.
    All in all, I agree it’s quite nice we have two good goalies frankly and we get to see what JDD is about.

And Lowetide, I seem to agree with(and always enjoy) most everything you write, but taking on Emery would’ve had me foaming at the mouth.

PJ Oil: This implies more knowledge than I think we really have here. When you say “JDD is simply not an NHL calibre goalie” it seems to me we’re really stretching it.

JDD does NOT have the resume of a successful #1 NHL goalie, that I will give you. However, arguing this is a player who has no value is a bit much I think and imo we’re getting into a “why bother with an AHL team” argument which is interesting but not really useful in a discussion about a single player.

Deslauriers falls short of what we would consider a sure thing. If Garon is Mike Fitzgerald and Roloson is Nelson Santovenia then what is wrong with having a Wil Tejada hanging around?

At some point I have to conclude that some of us in the blogosphere hate Kevin Lowe’s decisions just because they are Kevin Lowe’s decisions.

//Or it not in that manner, why not simply give him a one year deal at 500K, and let him earn the 2nd year?//

The second year means he is easier to pass through waivers, and forces JDD to do it twice if he “stops everything this year”, and begins channelling Patrick Roy.

This isn’t cap money they are spending. This is a wealthy team using the loopholes in the cap system to add depth.

The league is so tight now, that one needs good goaltending every game, so one’s backup goaltender better be able to hold the fort, or you are not going to make the playoffs.

28. PunjabiOil says:

I respectfully disagree. As AO mentioned, there are plenty of reasons that support this notion: JDD is a goalie who is in his 4th year in the AHL, has not made the all-star game once, nor has placed top 15 in SV%. His increasing SV% is more a product of professional experience, rather than talent.

The question becomes, is he a backup? It’s possible, albeit again, questions arise whether he will be a good backup. A guy who can only post a .912 SV% against has-beens and never-was’s, is going to have a difficult time against the Iginla’s, Gaborik’s, and Sakic. Just my opinion. At this point, I’m not convinced he’ll be a better backup than Roloson, which begs the question – what purpose will he serve, playing the third wheel?

LOL. I’m lost.

I disagree. People on the ‘sphere generally have the same opinions before and after a transaction. People like AO and I have had the same opinion on JDD for years.

//If he begins to ”stop everything this year” then why would you send him to the minors anyways?//

One signs him to two years, because
    1) if he is merely okay, it makes him easier to send to the minors through waivers.
    2) if he is horrible, it isn’t cap money, so no big deal.
    3) if he channels Patrick Roy, he has to prove the year wasn’t a fluke before you have to pay him.

2 years provides the best cover for all possible outcomes, great, awful, and mediocre.

30. mc79hockey says:

That’s ridiculous. Lots of people who thought that the start to Lowe’s summer was pretty good can still think that something else he did was stupid. There’s a limit to how much Katz will spend and it might as well be spent wisely – I can’t see how this is spending his money wisely. I think that the money could be better spent.

There’s absolutely no evidence he’s ready for the NHL LT. I don’t see how you can say that a bunch of people who think a one way deal when there are already two goalies signed who can play to a guy who hasn’t proven anything at the AHL is evidence that people hate Lowe’s decisions because they’re Lowe’s decisions. That’s absurd.

MC: What is the actual dollar difference between JDD’s AHL salary last season and this deal?

What will that buy you?

It seems to me this is hair splitting in the extreme. The Edmonton Oilers made a call on Deslauriers that says they’re not sure on him but are will to spend some dollars in order to let him get some middle relief innings without having to worry about wins and losses.

It comes down to this: in order for you to be as sure of JDD as you clearly are, the history has to be top dead center.

Is it?

32. PunjabiOil says:

What will that buy you?

I believe the AHL maximum salary in 100K.

This deal is $550K in the first year, and $700K in the second year.

The difference buys you 10 additional scouts, or can help you invest in other technological equpiment.

On the flip side of the coin, one can ask the question: How is it certain that Katz would be willing to pay that salary to JDD in the minors?

The Oilers giving one-way contracts like candy to marginal players (Roy, JDD, JFJ) who have not demonstrated in likelihood probability that they will be contribute to winning hockey games has to be a concern It has nothing, in my opinion, to do with people hating Kevin Lowe.

33. Ducey says:

“There’s absolutely no evidence he’s ready for the NHL LT”

Nobody said he was starting material now. As LT said he is going to get some low leverage minutes to see if he can develop. He will likely get a conditioning stint or two as well and worked like rented mule by Pete Peters in practice.

Hopefully he will be able to develop into a backup by midseason or next season. Try looking at the save % for you average NHL backup.

If you guys had your way he would be exposed to waivers and lost. Can you really say he will never be an NHL goalie?

In any event, it is a reasonable move for Lowe to give him more time to develop in the Oilers system.

You guys are really using up what little credibility you had complaining about the last guy on the roster.

34. PunjabiOil says:

The only benefit of this move is that Dubnyk gets 500 at-bats, and a full opportunity to earn his way up.

PJ Oil: So, if I’m reading you correctly it’s your opinion that all of Roy, Jacques and Deslauriers should have been sent packing.

Is this correct? I’m asking because I don’t want to put words in your mouth.

36. Oilman says:

55 30 21 2.78 0.894
    34 16 13 2.78 0.911
    31 10 19 2.77 0.908 20 5 14 2.92 0.909

Those are Dan Ellis’ AHL numbers prior to joining the Predators (most recent season at the top) – at what year did he look to be a legitimate NHL goalie?

37. PunjabiOil says:

RE: Roy

I was never a fan of the Roy deal. So it wouldn’t have bothered me to let him go. I would have offered him a two-way deal – if he accepted great. If not, let him go.

RE: Jacques

Again, not a fan of the deal. The guy had his shot, getting 53 NHL games and showed very little. His numbered declined, and he has a significant back injury. He was hardly in a position to demand a one-way contract. If someone claims him on waivers, so be it.

RE: JDD

It’s more of the fact he was given the extra year on the one-way. One year would be sufficient to determine whether to retain him or cut the losses and move on. The Oilers now have no such option, and for better or worse, are stuck for the next 2 years with in likelihood best case scenario, a career backup.

38. PunjabiOil says:

That’s a fair point, but that raises the questions: Is Ellis an outlier or a the norm? Was his last year a fluke?

The Oilers brass are higher on JDD’s potential than I am. I will have no problem taking my lumps if I am proven to be wrong. We will see.

39. Oilman says:

yep – Ellis might be an outlier – but I’d be willing to bet the Predators wish they had given him a second year at $750K

PJ Oil: That is EXACTLY my point. Look, my original post (imo) lays it out there that the odds do not favor him as an NHL player. However, at what point do you cut bait?

And more to the point, at what point do you go along with the scouting department and minor league people who clearly would have been in on the decision?

Because I’ll tell you, if I’m Kevin Lowe and the bunch that brought me Hemsky, Cogliano and Gagner says “we like this guy” then it is a pretty easy decision even if the kid doesn’t make the grade.

And if Deslauriers has a career, even a Wil Tejada career, then I really don’t see the harm in this contract.

41. mike w says:

Anytime a team can pay less, they should. Especially if the dude might make the team.

That’s the crux of it, no?

42. PunjabiOil says:

If ellis is an outlier, then they made the reasonable decision to give him only 1 year. Sure, after the fact of Ellis having a big season, they would have preferred to have given him a second year; however, you can hardly punish them for not giving a 27 year old goalie with an .894 SV% in his most recent season, a multi-year deal.

The question is, were there ways to NOT cut bait, and still retain him. As in, did the Oilers have to offer him a two-year one-way contract to retain his services? And if not, why didn’t they do so?

Lets not forget the minor league people let JDD rot on the bench, in favour of Devan Dubnyk, at one point of the year. If the guy can’t hold his starter position for a full year in the NHL, just how much faith do you put in him, regardless of what the scouting department thinks?

I’m thinking this signing is more as a result of the Oilers brass not willing to acknowledge the time and resouces put towards JDD’s development are a suck cost. The fact that he got higher signing bonuses in the ELC than Josh Harding or Cam Ward is irrelevant today.

It may be a ‘pretty easy decision’ from their POV. As a fan however, we may have different points of views.

I believe the harm in this contract in contingent as to whether Katz is willing to pay $700,000 USD to let JDD play in the minors, in the event the performance is not in close proximity of the cap hit.

Garon can't play 70+ games. Poor goaltending will cost us games, as demonstrated by Morrison & Corkannen. So, what happens next year in the event Katz says "NO" to sending JDD to the minors?

If Kevin Lowe is the GM next fall and decides JDD should go to the minors, he goes to the minors.

If Katz says no, then Lowe calls his agent and suggests a meeting where they can discuss the dollars required for Lowe to leave quietly.

44. Doogie2K says:

What that tells me is that MacT needs to learn to manage his goalies better. ;) I have no problem with giving Garon 50-55 starts, as long as they’re better spread out than they were last year, with him getting spelled off every third or fourth game, particularly against weak opponents, if we use JDD.

Why is this such a hot button issue when it doesn’t hurt the cap number AT ALL?

I think because, combined with other organizational comments, it carries the implication that JDD will be an NHLer next season, which seems to some like a waste. I would disagree, if for no other reason than the fact that we’re unlikely to resign Roloson this summer, and we need at least a backup from within the system, since I sure as hell wouldn’t rely on the free-agent market for anything cheap and reliable. That’s like going to a casino and assuming you’re gonna leave with more than you brought: it might happen, but you treat it like found money, because it doesn’t happen that often. :)

Some of us in the blogosphere have been saying this for months, even years. ;)

But to be fair, how much playing time did he get during those first three years? I would venture not nearly as much as if we’d had our own team. Surely that affects the development of a young goaltender. Does that mean his growth was stunted, or just delayed? Can we say that for sure just yet?

So, what happens next year in the event Katz says “NO” to sending JDD to the minors?

He’s still on the cheap buyout program, correct? $250K spread over two years is not that much money to cover a missed bet.

45. CM says:

I personally think that the benifits out weigh the risk when it comes to the second year.

I also don’t think that JDD will be much of a different goaler in the NHL than in the AHL. He’s a big guy who plays his position. If he was a reflex goalie I would be alot more concerned. But he’s got size and thats an atribute that can’t be taught.

46. Schitzo says:

Does nobody think that Lowe would have, you know, run this by Katz first?

I would be shocked if somewhere in the last 2 weeks Lowe hasn’t told Katz that one of the ways we can ensure our borderline players don’t get poached on waivers is by using one-way contracts.

I would be equally shocked if Lowe wasn’t subsequently given the green light to do exactly that.

47. speeds says:

I don’t get why the first year would be one way, it just makes no sense given the Roloson situation. I still don’t believe that the first year is one way, it just doesn’t make any sense.

Godot10 wrote: “Roy wasn’t bought out because he provides a depth defenseman, and will be a solid veteran amongst all the kids in Springfield. It gives the Oilers an 8th defenseman that poor teams can’t have.”

Roy and Deslauriers don’t give EDM surefire AHL depth because you can’t be certain you can recall them without losing them to half price recall waivers. Let’s say EDM farms Deslauriers out, one of Garon/Roloson goes on the IR in November, and EDM tries to recall Deslauriers. Some team claims him on recall waivers because they can now have a backup goalie at a 300K cap hit, and EDM has to take a 300K cap hit for 2 years. EDM still loses Deslauriers.

48. Traktor says:

I love how so many people are cut and dry that this is a bad move yet the majority of posters probably didn’t watch JDD play one game for the Falcons – just basing their opinion on stats.

Judging JDD primarily on his Save Percentage is ridiculous.

First off the Falcons had 21 different defensemen suit up for them last year! It’s pretty much impossible for the team to be on the same page because of this, thus you will have zero game plan and have to keep it simple as possible.

Which is probably why Springfield was out shot every night. JDD and DD were facing around 35 shots a night.

Oh and by the way, a lot of those shots came on the PP, where Springfield was one of the worst penalty killing teams in the AHL.

If you don’t think this would effect any goalie you’re an idiot.

Needless to say, I’m going to take the opinion of the Oilers scouting staff over hockeydb on this one.

49. Pat H says:

//are you trying to tell me that you built a time machine… out of a deslauriers?//

ben gets my vote for best line. well done, ben.

50. Asiaoil says:

I’m with speeds on this – the on way in year 1 makes no sense at all and I don’t really believe it’s there. Can someone like Guy confirm the terms of year one? That would be different from all the other similar contract recently (Brodziak, Roy, JFJ). As again as speeds points out – if we send him down this year – he is subject to recall waivers and we would be on the hook for half his salary both this year and next. So the one way actually gives us less flexibility and security not more.

Mostly this is just a waste of money and contrary to the stance we took with GlenX. In that case Katz’s money mattered – now it doesn’t – what’s up? The contract is small but it could also buy us the best goalie coach and the best goalie scout in the world over the same term – and that would do us a hell of a lot more good than JDD who is profoundly replaceable.

51. Traktor says:

“Tractor – is this the same scouting staff that has not developed a decent goalie “in-house” since Grant Fuhr that you are so comfortable trusting? Really – these guys couldn’t tell a goalie from car door with a metal detector.”

Edmonton just hasn’t drafted that many goalies since Lowe took over, it’s not like they can’t develop them.

Deslauriers and Dubnyk are the only 2 goalies we have drafted before the 5th round since Lowe took over and it’s too early to tell if they will have a future.

Realistically we shouldn’t expect much out of 5th-7th round goalie draft picks yet Jussi Markkanen drafted in the 5th round played over 125 games. The only other goalies that Lowe has drafted are Pitton 5th round(who had a great year in the OHL), Bjorn Bjurling 9th round (put up elite numbers this year in the SEL), and Glenn Fisher 5th (looking like AHL starter max upside at the moment)

People bitched about Hejda and Grebs receiving 1 ways a few years ago too saying the exact same thing, “What have they done to deserve a one way”

“he contract is small but it could also buy us the best goalie coach and the best goalie scout in the world over the same term – and that would do us a hell of a lot more good than JDD who is profoundly replaceable.”

I’m going to wait and see what he has to offer at the NHL level before I write my opinions in stone. If he sucks then he sucks but I’m not going to write him off because he wasn’t in the top 5 in save percentage in the AHL. Using stats logic Schremp is a future 1st liner because there wasn’t a younger player in the AHL with more points last year.

52. Doogie2K says:

In that case Katz’s money mattered – now it doesn’t – what’s up?

There’s a world of difference between giving a fourth liner $1.5M in real cap space and giving a third goalie $0.6M in maybe cap space: that much should be pretty obvious. And also, let’s not forget that three weeks ago, we were penny-pinching because we were trying to sign Marian Fucking Hossa.

53. Doogie2K says:

And also, can we please drop the “Katz’s money” bullshit? It’s a trope that’s already gotten old and ridiculous, and he hasn’t even owned the team for three weeks yet.

speeds: I think it makes perfect sense. The Oilers believe this guy has an NHL career ahead of him and that his time is now. The first season being a one-way is a tell that Roloson is going to be dealt at some point in the season if the kid can play. Plus I’d guess it very likely Garon will be signed soonafter a Roloson deal should he be performing well.

The second season is insurance against a solid performance and having to pay him $1M plus next summer.

If the bet is wrong, they send him out with two possible outcomes:

1. He gets sent to the AHL and Dubnyk is now the future or

2. He gets claimed on waivers and Dubnyk is now the future.

The only issue here is the money. Deslauriers either performs at a level most of us think unlikely or he’s in Springfield or another NHL town.

55. Ducey says:

“Really – these guys couldn’t tell a goalie from car door with a metal detector”

But you can right? How many times have you even seen him play?

56. oilerdago says:

Traktor got it exactly right on JDD and the “defense” that was in front of him last year.

The same “d” that lacked puck movers and couldn’t get out of their way in their own zone was – like the 06/07 Oiler “d”.

But it’s time to see what JDD can do in the NHL BEFORE Rolie’s contract is up and it’s time to see if DD can carry the load in the AHL full time.

What get’s me is how short sighted some of the blogging is here. If JDD cuts it great, if not, it’s a low risk contract all things considered.

57. Schitzo says:

Speeds/Asiaoil:

As per the CBA:

The Re-Entry Waiver procedure will not, however, be applicable to
    Veteran Minor League Players defined as follows: (i) for goaltenders, Players who
    have: (A) played in 180 or more professional games in North America (NHL, AHL
    and ECHL), and (B) not spent more than 80 NHL games on NHL roster over the
    prior two (2) seasons or more than 40 NHL games on NHL roster in the
    immediately prior season;

By my count JDD is at 149 and counting, so if he does get sent down, he needs to play 31 games before he’s safe to bring back up. My guess is that if he doesn’t win the job straight out of TC, he’ll get sent down to get 35 starts, then brought back up so Dubnyk can play the second half of the season.

58. DeBakey says:

Wow
    A big arguement over a third-string goalie!

I miss the the old daze,
    when it was 2nd pairing dmen &
    #1 LWs.

The Oilers had a nice long, close-up look at Deslauriers late in the season.
    It seems they like what they saw.

59. speeds says:

Great catch Schitzo. I was under the impression that it was only a salary thing, I didn’t realize there were exceptions to the re-entry waiver rules.

For Deslauriers (and all goalies), I believe I have read somewhere else in the CBA that credit is given (for a “professional game played”) when the goalie dresses as a backup but doesn’t play. So my guess is that Deslauriers has been the backup often enough that he would already have passed the 180 game mark, but I can’t be sure on that one.

60. Schitzo says:

Speeds: 10.1(c) says that a goalie must play 30 minutes for a game to count as a game played. Otherwise all goalies would count 82 games a year :)

61. Asiaoil says:

….good catch on the recall waivers issue schitzo – thanks – but it still makes way more sense to have him on a 2 way deal this year give that the kid had less than zero bargaining power.

As for the JDD boosters. How about providing ONE piece of evidence that indicates he will be anything but a career backup other than:

a) your opinion
    or
    b) your interpretation of the coaching staff’s opinion

Evaluating goaies relly isnt very hard given their very limited role…..keep the puck out of your net. They don’t have offensive or defensive roles….just keep the puck out of the net. Given this, save percentage is a great indicator – especially when supplemented by the ES and PP numbers. If your job is to keep pucks out of the net – SP shows how well you do that – and good goalies have good numbers irrespective of the team in front of them. The numbers will be better in front of a good team – but will still good even in front of a bad one.

JDD has been mediocre since his draft year and I don’t expect that to change any time soon. He’s the goaltending version of Rita and the results will likely be the same. Of course he will play well for 20 games at some point during the next season – the boosters will erupt in joy that he has arrived – I’ll say that’s nice but let’s see if he can keep it up – then JDD will return to being mediocre. Rinse, repeat….

62. Doogie2K says:

And if JDD shits the bed, he shits the bed. I would rather learn that he isn’t cut out for an NHL backup role now than next year and onward, when we don’t have the Roli safety net and are generally in more of a position to go deep. Same reason why I’m okay with 51/78 potentially costing us points this year as 3-4C, on the premise they get better for next year and onward. And again, it’s the league-minimum in dollars, and $100K in cap space. Whatthefuckever.

63. Dennis says:

I guess this thread is pretty much dead now but I was busy this weekend but I still enjoyed checking this out.

So,

- for the guys who didn’t get the Fitzgerald/Santovenia/Tejada reference, I’m guessing LT meant that neither of Garon or Roli aren’t exactly awesome so what’s wrong with having a third option around? I get that on the surface but the biggest question is bargaining power and waiver issues. BTW, Tejada was a recovering alcoholic with an unreal arm and an unwatchable bat;)

- the point about people hating Lowe’s decisions because they ARE Lowe’s decisions, you know that door’s been swinging the other way since Weight was traded.