Is he a player of interest for the Oilers?
Incredibly, the Edmonton Oilers still have some walking around money that could be spent on free agents or a rather large ticket item via the trade route.
Their value-wise signings of Pouliot, Jacques and Strudwick have (possibly) filled end-of-the-roll roster spots with inexpensive but effective options.
I haven’t done this since June 30, so let’s list the roster and the cap numbers. All salaries are from nhlnumbers.com or oilfans.
- GOALKEEPER: Mathieu Garon (1.1M), Dwayne Roloson (3.67M)
- LEFT DEFENSE: Sheldon Souray (5.4M), Denis Grebeshkov (1.5M), Ladislav Smid (.886M), Jason Strudwick (.650M)
- RIGHT DEFENSE: Lubimor Visnovsky ($5.6M), Tom Gilbert (4M), Steve Staios (2.7M)
- CENTER: Shawn Horcoff (3.6M), Sam Gagner (1.625M), Kyle Brodziak (.497M), Marc Pouliot (.825M)
- LEFT WING: Dustin Penner (4.25M), Andrew Cogliano (1.133M), Erik Cole (4.0M), Ethan Moreau (2M)
- RIGHT WING: Ales Hemsky (4.1M), Robert Nilsson (1.833M), Fernando Pisani (2.5M)
- TOTAL SIGNED PLAYERS: 20
- TOTAL DOLLARS SPENT: $51,869,000
- CAP: $56,700,000
- DOLLARS AVAILABLE: $4,831,000
- ROSTER SPOTS AVAILABLE: 3
- LIKELY ADDITIONS: Stortini (.700M?), Jacques (.700M?), Reasoner (1M?)
- LEFTOVER DOLLARS: $2,431,000
So if the Oilers decide not to sign Reasoner (and I think they’re going to sign him) and elevate Reddox (.508M) and Lerg (.568M) instead of Stortini and Jacques that would mean they could pursue Nagy with $3,755,000. The Oilers like to leave some cap room though, so maybe they’re done spending this summer. Looks like Brodziak, Pouliot and Stortini are going to play a bunch this season, Jacques too if he’s healthy. Rob Schremp has a nice shot at the roster based on the RW depth chart and even a guy like Sestito should feel pretty good about things.
I’d still like the Oilers to sign Marek Malik. They’d have to run with 8 defensemen, but there’s been talk of Deslauriers making the team anyway and Strudwick can play forward in a pinch. Could the Oilers start the season with 3G, 8D and 12F? Wild stuff.