Weir Ready for a Jagrmeister!

• Pittsburgh’s 1st, 5th overall, in 1990
  • WJC-A All-Star Team (1990)
  • NHL All-Rookie Team (1991)
  • NHL First All-Star Team (1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000)
  • Won Art Ross Trophy (1995, 1998, 1999, 2000)
  • Member of President’s Trophy winning team (1993)
  • NHL Second All-Star Team (1997)
  • Won Lester B. Pearson Award (1999, 2000)
  • Won Hart Trophy (1999)
  • Played in NHL All-Star Game (1992, 1993, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000)
  • Traded to Washington by Pittsburgh with Krantisek Kucera for Kris Beech, Michal Sivek, Ross Lupaschuk and futures considerations, July 11, 2001.
  • Traded to NY Rangers by Washington for Anson Carter, January 23, 2003.
  • Scored his 600th NHL career goal Nov. 19, 2006
  • Scored his 602 goal and surpased Jari Kurri to become the top scoring European born player Nov. 21, 2006

47 Responses to "Weir Ready for a Jagrmeister!"

1. PDO says:

You could at LEAST include Stan Weir somehow.

Stan Weir is sacred.

How’s that?

4. PDO says:

Damnit.

Well now the question is:

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky

OR:

Cole – Horcoff – Pisani
    Jagr – Gagner – Hemsky
    Penner – Cogliano – Nilsson
    Moreau – Brodziak – Schremp
    Pouliot/Stortini

I include Schremp, simply because we may as well try to become the Globe Trotters while we’re at it.

5. PDO says:

How’s what? I think you forgot to update it whilst blue skying :-).

It’s in the title.

7. dwillms says:

Missed a few (I had to look it up b/c I didn’t believe he hadn’t played in an All-Star Game since 2000):

NHL First All-Star Team (2001, 2006)
    Art Ross (2001)
    Lester B. Pearson (2006)
    NHL All-Star Game (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004)

8. Hoos says:

Ladies and gentlemen, Stan Weir!

9. James Mirtle says:

You’d have to think Vancouver and Minnesota would be really interested, too, given, you know, the general suckiness of their forward lines at the moment.

10. PDO says:

Mirtle:

Would Jagr be interested in playing for either of those coaches?

You’d be hard pressed to find teams that play a more boring style of hockey than Vancouver and Minny, and something tells me that instantly factors into Jagr’s decision.

11. DBO says:

i think if Jagr is here, then LT gets his wish and cole is on the third “outperform” line.
    horc-hem-Jagr
    gag-Nil-Pen
    Cog-Cole-Pis
    Brod-Mor-Stor
    Pouliot/Brule

the issue remains, what do we shed for salary to fit $7 – $7.5 mill under the cap this year? Assuming we keep the d as is (with Roy as the 7th) we still need to sign Stortini and Pouliot (assume $1.75 for both). that puts us around $2.5 mill over the cap. So Rollie’s $3.6 (minus JDD $.500) leaves us just around $500K under the cap, with no room for movement. So this begs the question? Who does Lowe have naked pictures of among his fellow GM’s, because no one is taking Rollie’s $3.6 million.

12. PDO says:

Jagr’s explicitly said he’ll take less money to have a two year contract.

NYR offered him $6,000,000.

So we offer $9,000,000 / 2 years.

$4,500,000 cap hit.

13. Ducey says:

Thanks for posting this LT,

I don’t want Jagr, and given your recent track record, now that you have posted it, he won’t be coming :-)

I can see it now, he signs for two years, but after flopping around Rexall for a year, he retires, leaving the Oilers with a major cap hit.

14. Ribs says:

If Tony Stark and Lowe can lure Jagr to Edmonton I should really just move and save myself the gas money I’ll be spending on going to games.
    My favourite player since Coffey retired in an Oilers jersey would make me silly giddy for a long time.

So c’mon! Third times the charm!

15. Coach pb9617 says:

Alright, that’s it. I refuse to root for this because blog commentors and message board posters keep moving Jagr to the left side. Not because he can play there, or has EVER played there, but because it fits their verkakte lines.

This willy-nilly wing flippery has me about to chew my own face off.

Willy-nilly flippery? Are you A. A. Milne?

:-)

17. Coach pb9617 says:

Look, I have to get creative and express outrage if I’m not allowed to offend your daughter.

Coach: And I thank you for that, believe me.

19. Coach pb9617 says:

If they can’t add a rabbit-puncher on defense, DON’T ADD ANYONE AT ALL DAMMIT.

Keep the cap room, extend Horc NOW, kick Cole’s tires (if things go awry in the injury department again, Cole for Halak is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighty interesting come March time), if we get Grebs over the last 30, extend him too, extend Garon…

Lots of stuff to do besides make offers to wingers just to cheese me off because 17 year olds in central Canada move them from the positions they’ve played their whole career.

20. CM says:

Question for any of the Capologists out there. Does the over 35 clause apply to a players option? i.e. if the oilers signed Jagr to a 1 year plus a 1 year option and Jagr declined after the first year then does year 2 still count against the cap?

lol. I don’t disagree with a thing you said there, those all are huge issues and getting Horcoff, Grebeshkov and Garon under contract beyond ’09 is a bigger deal than getting Jagr for one season.

Still, it’s pretty fun.

22. Pat H says:

ribs: I like the Tony Stark tag.

23. Ribs says:

So then, the new rules of this blog are that you have to place Hemsky on the left wing if you want him on a line with Jagr.

Here Ye! Here Ye!

24. allan says:

There are no more option years under the new CBA, probably to close that very loophole.

25. Ribs says:

pat h – I just hope he isn’t a Skrull!…..Too much?

It’s an interesting question. I imagine the Oilers are trying to acquire Jagr to play with Hemsky, but how do you put them together.

Has Jagr NEVER played LW?

27. Ribs says:

LT! I just layed out the rules a second ago, man!

Hemsky played Left wing with Jagr at the right and Straka down the middle back in those ol’ 2005 IIHF World Championships.

28. CM says:

yeah its Article 11.13 about the option year

SPC shall not contain any option clause or voidable year, whether automatic, optional or otherwise.

29. heed says:

i refuse to accept jagr unless he comes to training camp with the mullet.

Horcoff-Hemsky-Jagr
    Gagner-Penner-Nilsson
    Cogliano-Cole-Pisani

Look okay?

31. Slipper says:

Marek Malik is unsigned.

The Rangers will sign him, they only have 5D.

33. Ribs says:

Looks better than okay, LT. Not having to worry about your top line not clicking is something the Oilers have needed for quite awhile now. Once that’s set it’s a lot easier to jumble your 2-3 lines without throwing games away into the blender like MacT likes to do so much.

34. Pat H says:

ribs: the skrull comment was too much. don’t “out” the comic nerds here.

35. jd says:

Jagr would be a great signing. could throw hemmer under the wing. he actually requested to have hemsky added to the czech national team a few years back to skate alongside him on the first line.

36. Jonathan says:

The Rangers will sign him, they only have 5D.

No, they won’t, he had a massive falling out with Tom Renney last year. Malik probably won’t be here, but he won’t be a Ranger next season.

As for lines (ordered by level of opposition difficulty):

Cole – Horcoff – Pisani
    Hemsky – Gagner – Jagr
    Moreau – Pouliot – Brodziak
    Penner – Cogliano – Nilsson
    Potulny, Stortini

Jagr gets to play with Hemsky, Gagner gets skilled linemates, we have a super-duper outscoring line that should keep Horcoff and Cole’s counting numbers to a level where they’d be resignable, Penner, Cogs and Nilsson are still in a scoring role, Pouliot gets a shot at his natural position, and we aren’t relying on Moreau. What do you guys think?

37. CM says:

to be honest Jonathon I think mac T changes the line up ever 3 games or so…

38. CM says:

on a side note my 12 year old brother told me last december that Jagr was going to sign with the oilers on independence day…I bet him a coke it wouldn’t happen…I’m laughing now that he may be right…I guess he may be right I “heard it [T]here first”

39. Coach pb9617 says:

Horcoff-Hemsky-Jagr
    Gagner-Penner-Nilsson
    Cogliano-Cole-Pisani

Look okay?

I wish nothing but the best this summer for Ribs and LT.

40. Bill Needle says:

I don’t know what’s the bigger fantasy: seeing Jagr play for the Oilers, or seeing him on the second line for the Oilers.
    Why not just put him on the fourth line with Stortini already?

41. dwillms says:

After signing Naslund today, Sather said he told Jagr they were “moving on”.

The Pens are in the mix, but after signing Satan & Fedotenko today, I’m not sure they still have a spot in their top-6 open with Crosby/Malkin/Sykora/Staal already there.

They have a little less cap room left than us ($3.8 mil vs $4.5). If the deal is for more than one season, Malkin’s big extension starts in 09/10 as well.

42. Daniel says:

Jagr signs with Omsk

I’m sure Stan knows best.

43. honkey says:

Many players have deals in place in Russia if they can’t find the right one in NHL. Wonder if that’s the case with Jagr too or if he really goes back to Omsk for only 7M a year.

44. Jonathan says:

I’m not sure if you’re referring to my lineup, but those line are by difficulty of opposition, not icetime.

45. jon k says:

Looks like LT is 3/3.

46. Marchantfan says:

Here’s the CBC story: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/07/04/jagr-russia.html

If the agent confirms it, you know it’s for shiznit.