Reasonable Expectations for 08-09 (Pisani)

If you watch a team long enough there are experiences you associate with specific players. Marc Andre Bergeron is all about anxiety, Michael Peca’s play made me think of a coma, as there just wasn’t much happening anywhere. Ales Hemsky? Fast car. Ty Conklin? The worst of times.

Fernando Pisani? Calm waters, trusted skipper at the helm, clear sailing, blue skies.

I think his illness last season had a huge effect on the roster, as part of bringing along youngsters is giving them quality veterans to show the way. Pisani is a very smart player on a team that collects them, and there’s no doubt in my mind a player like Brodziak would be farther along had he enjoyed the opportunity to play for a long stretch with a healthy and effective Fernando Pisani.

This season all reports are that he’s fine and will be at full strength in the fall. Although Pisani did in fact play 70% of the season there were many games where Fernando wasn’t close to 100%. He’s such a valuable player in a variety of areas that his being healthy will have a major impact on the young player he’s paired with (just ask Stoll and Torres) and on the overall performance of the team.

In my roster setup Pisani plays with Cole and a rotation of Brodziak and Pouliot. The truth of course is that he’ll play some with everyone and will get more PP time than we as fans think he should, but he’ll earn his dough at EVs and PK. Here are his 5×5/60 numbers for the last three seasons:

• 05-06: 1.84
  • 06-07: 1.39
  • 07-08: 1.55

A healthy Pisani playing with at least one solid offensive option should be able to do some things at 5×5.

Prediction for 08-09: 77gp, 17-19-36 (.468 per game).

16 Responses to "Reasonable Expectations for 08-09 (Pisani)"

1. Schitzo says:

I’ve got to say, 17 goals seems low. Heck, he was on pace for 19 this year had he played a full season, and that including those lost games where he clearly didn’t have his stamina back.

Assuming injuries don’t strike, he’ll have a quality LW of some sort to play with, so unless the centre rotation slows him down, I think this is the year he hits 20.

2. spOILer says:

He’s been nibbling away at the 20 goal mark for some time now.

If he stay healthy and has a passer in the middle—someone different than the crash and banger Stoll—he might finally get a bite of that 20 goal cheese.

And in Fernando’s case, that would be vecchio asiago.

I hope he gets it. I’m sick and tired of hearing about his contract being an overpay.

3. Traktor says:

There isn’t many wingers out there that I would happily pay 2.5M in exchange for 30 points but Pisani is one of the rare exceptions. Having said that, I think he is capable of putting up 50 points with the right opportunity and linemates.

I think he hits around 18G 22 assists 40 points and makes whoever gets the assignment to take draws on his line a lot better than they actually are.

4. misfit says:

Brodziak certainly could have benefited more, but I might almost go as far as to say Torres and Stoll could still be Oilers had Pisani started the season on the roster.

Players have a tendancy to do great things with Pisani as a linemate. Nilsson and Gagner never looked better last year then they did with Pisani. Torres and Stoll were our best line two seasons ago with Fernando. Peca was a disaster as an Oiler until the playoffs when he was lined up with Pisani. The examples are numberous.

Pisani doesn’t need to score a bunch of goals or get 50 points for his season to be a success. His contribution is more likely to be shown through the play of his linemates.

5. Ender says:

If Pisani plays most of the season with Cole, He gets 50pts minimum. You heard it here first.

6. mjsh says:

I watched Pisani a lot when he was in St. Albert. He was better than Reinprecht or Comrie when they were there. What can you say about him, he is not flashy, but very solid both ways. I think 50 pts would be a good year for him with Cole and Brodziak.

7. Bank Shot says:

I don’t think Pisani gets enough PP time to hit 20 goals this season. The Oilers are just too deep in the type of guys that way more suited to PP time then ES time.

He probably take the crap end of the stick going against killers all season long and nets himself 15 or so pizzas into the oven.

8. transplantedjetfan says:

He’s the forward I think is most likely to not miss a game.

9. boopronger says:

I agree 100% with spoilers comments. I too am sick of the overpay comments along with some of my buddies telling me that Pisani is nothing more then a glorified 4th liner.

14 goals in the playoffs in ’06 then playing at what, 60% health after that? I think he gets 20 this year.

10. James Mirtle says:

Should I bring up the Masterton?

11. PDO says:

Only if you want to start a rant about idiotic writers having no business voting for anything of any significance :]

12. ClaytonMagnet says:

I think the perfect scenario is that by mid-season, Gagner and Hemsky develop some real chemistry, leaving Horcoff to centre Pisani and Cole. That would be a line I’d be comfortable with against any opposition, and in any situation.

13. raventalon40 says:

If Pisani plays with Cole/Penner and one of Pouliot/Brodziak, he is definitely going to score more points, I think. However, how many goals we give up at EVs will be another question altogether.

14. Sean says:

Pisani is the reason I’m willing to role the dice on a kid in the 3C spot. He is so sound positionally and makes players around him better. The guy is also as clutch as he is reliable.

I’ll peg him at 22-22-44 (82 GP).

15. dave says:

In addition to being airt tight on D, I think where he makes his contract is that 10 of his 17 goals will be absolutely clutch.

16. RiversQ says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Pisani centre a line actually.

With all the crazy predictions for this coming year, I’ll hang my hat on that one – Pisani will play at least one 5 game stretch as a centre on this team.