Shock and Roy

What can we say about Mathieu Roy that hasn’t already been written in Sports Medicine Journals. What’s that old country song? If it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all?

Sometimes I think Mathieu Roy thinks (and acts) like a football player. One time (I swear) he seemed to hurl himself face first into the boards and naturally he had to leave the game, arena and the lineup.

Since March of 2007, he has endured the following:

• Mar 1, 2007: Head injury, day-to-day.
  • Mar 24, 2007: Missed 11 games (concussion).
  • Apr 1, 2007: Concussion, day-to-day.
  • Apr 9, 2007: Missed the last 4 games of the regular season (concussion).
  • Oct 2, 2007: Aches and pains, day-to-day.
  • Oct 23, 2007: Missed 8 games (aches and pains).
  • Nov 5, 2007: Separated shoulder, day-to-day.
  • Nov 26, 2007: Missed 9 games (separated shoulder)
  • Feb 19, 2008: Bruised sternum, day-to-day.
  • Feb 22, 2008: Missed 1 game (bruised sternum).
  • Mar 7, 2008: Upper body injury, day-to-day.
  • Mar 13, 2008: Missed 3 games (upper body injury).

Roy has some nice things. He loves to hit (anything), he has proven himself more worthy than a truckload of first rounders by working his way up the depth chart and he is the third best 215th overall pick in team history (Matt Lombardi and Brad Norton). He also has a one-way deal in his hip pocket that pays him $500,000 no matter what happens. I like him because of the story about how mad he got when they sent him down one training camp. You have to like a guy who won’t accept failure.

On the downside he’s slow, Pierre Bouchard slow. It causes trouble on coverage and reduces options when he handles the puck. The chances of his making the big club were reduced in a big way the day Edmonton signed Jason Strudwick. I worry about his concussion problems shortening Roy’s career. He seems like a good sort and it’s easy to cheer for a guy who came from such a long way back.

14 Responses to "Shock and Roy"

1. Big Dave Semenko says:

While Hrabal-Rouser was a bit of a groaner for a title, Shock and Roy completely made it for it, an absolute classic.

Given the Oilers depth on d, especially with Chorney, Petry and Peckham knocking on the door, it makes you wonder why they haven’t tried to convert Roy to the fourth line energy player the team so covets. An in-house compliment to Stortini?

2. Fake Craig McTavish says:

“Siegfried and Roy” comes to mind.

If you can have the “Mendoza Line” surely there is a precedent for the “Siegfried Line”.

Never mind.

3. therealdeal says:

You have to think Strudwick was brought in as the ‘veteran presence’ on the back end of the defence group. I mean, if Strudwick isn’t going to be the 7th guy, why bring him in?

4. Bruce says:

Strudwick is #7 with a bullet, but you need more than seven. Defencemen get hurt. Last year we had “nine NHL defencemen” heading into camp and a month into the season we were using Allan Rourke. Top end guys go down, guys like Smid, Strudwick and Roy move on up the depth chart. C’est la vie.
    Isn’t that the way 3rd pairing defencemen traditionally learn to be 2nd pairing defencemen?

Sometimes they seize the opportunity and make an impact as, say, Gilbert did last year; he was under 17 minutes every night until Souray’s (first) injury and never hit 20 until after Pitkanen went down late in October with his own first injury/illness/paid sick day. By season’s end Gilbert averaged over 22 minutes, even with those lighter games at the first of the season. I suspect MacT’s first choice would have been to work him a little less, maybe he wouldn’t have bled quite so many GA down the stretch; but at the time Tom proved himself to be the best healthy option and earned himself those minutes, and is likely a better player today because of it.

5. Jonathan says:

By which you mean we had ten NHL defensemen, because Hot Doorknob was a heck of a fill-in last year.

6. Scott says:

I can’t imagine Roy will be an Oiler this season. He needs to clear waivers and I’d imagine that he will on the way down, but on the way up at $250,000 when other teams are starting to hit injuries? I can’t imagine it.

7. Bruce says:

By which I mean we need all the depth we can get. Rourke wasn’t one of the nine that were touted as NHLers before camp (and Roy was), but when the call came he did the job.

8. Jonathan says:

I wasn’t criticizing; I just wanted an excuse to use the “Hot Doorknob” nickname. Yet one more reason to read CinO.

9. Doogie2K says:

What happened to Rourke, anyway? He sign in Europe or another AHL team?

10. Vic Ferrari says:

I like Roy. I saw him good in the AHL during the lost year as well. The guy fights, hits, and most importantly moves the puck north-south. I have no idea why the guy doesn’t get more love around these parts.

One thing that did strike me about the guy is that like Niinimaa, the guy bought himself that extra fraction of a second to make a decision by being willing to take a hit. I worried that he’d have a shortened career because of it, on this blog I think, but I didn’t realize I’d cursed the poor bugger.

Good player though, good fight with Laperriere (sp?) last year too, good of Ian to give him the scrap I thought. He’ll play somewhere in the NHL until his body gives out, I suspect. Probably elsewhere though, and that’s a shame.

11. Dennis says:

The first thing I noticed about him was his ability to get his shot on net; I don’t know if that’s backed up by SOG/60 but it seemed to me that when he’d get on the 2nd PP unit, he really knew how to walk the blue and get his shot through.

But, the kid’s always getting himself in vulnerable situations and that was the end of him as an Oiler and will probably be the end of him as a pro. You’d have to imagine he’s one more concussion away from being a Brian Pothier case.

12. Jonathan says:

That’s it exactly. I like the player, but can’t ever see him being consistently healthy enouggh to rise signifiacntly above where he is now. Best case scenario IMO is that he gets a few years in as a third-pairing guy. I’m fine with him as a reserve defenseman, and I’m fine with him getting shipped to Tampa Bay for a 7th round pick too.

13. Scott says:

Why would Tampa give us a 7th round pick for him. They know the guy (and similar) is probably going through waivers and they are first in line on the waiver wire. It’s unfortunate, but I think this is a case where, unless we send Smid to Springfield, the Oilers are going to lose a guy of greater than no value for nothing.

14. Schitzo says:

One thing I like about Roy is that he can probably draw penalties with the best of them. Hell, I watch him on TV sporting that damn unibrow and *I* want to punch his face. I can’t imagine if he starts yapping at you with an accent.