Sommer’s Gone

This is Roy Sommer. He was born in Oakland, California and played hockey there for Skyline High School 73-74. The following season he moved to Calgary to finish high school, eventually playing for Spruce Grove in the AJHL (then the Edmonton Oil Kings of the WHL). He was drafted by Toronto in 1977 (6th round, 101st pick overall) and then signed by Edmonton as a free agent by Edmonton to begin a new decade-January 1, 1980.

Roy Sommer had one shot in his entire NHL career. He scored.

Sommer got into coaching after his career and has been sending Sharks to the NHL for awhile now.

If Guy Flaming had been around in 1980, Roy Sommer might have been on his Oilers Top 20 Prospects list. Guy’s final list is here and contains the usual interesting facts I’ve come to look forward to almost as much as those July issues of the Hockey News that hilighted my childhood.

Among the nuggets in this edition:

• He has Jeff Petry #1 (he’s wrong, it’s Riley Nash)
  • Vande Velde has improved in many facets of the game including his physical conditioning and overall fitness levels. He has developed slowly but big centermen don’t grow on trees and if he can keep up and score enough this guy could be extremely valuable.
  • All those puck moving college kids (Chorney, Petry, Wild) are still under 200 pounds. How many of those guys can a team run out there every night?
  • Alex Plante survived the Mandelbaum’s and is completely healthy.

And with that, he’s gone. Flaming has signed on as contributor to the Hockey News, has his own radio show and can be read on his blog (Coming Down the Pipe!) which appears to the right on the Oiler blog list. He is no longer a writer for HF, robbing Oiler fans of the number one reason to visit the site.

Was it a requirement of employment by the Hockey News that Flaming give up his post? Did Hockey’s Future pull the plug when Flaming received a very impressive opportunity? Whatever the reason, Hockey’s Future lost the most compelling reason this reader had for visiting.

14 Responses to "Sommer’s Gone"

1. Scott says:

LT,

It was my understanding that Guy would remain on HF’s staff, just not exclusively to HFOil.

Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m going off month old news.

Scott: His value was as a resource for Oilers prospects that was unavailable before him. No disrespect meant to any of their previous writers, but Guy’s ability to get quotes “on the record” and track down obscure pieces of information was/is unique in my time as an Oilers fan.

3. Hoos says:

This is a bitter sweet time for Oilers’ information out into the world. Lowetide, you’re dead on about Guy, he added to the stuff “I didn’t know” sphere (which most people may tell you is more of a globe). In any event, Guy first and Stauffer next, there will be a void of “insiders” that made us look at this organization in totally different ways.

4. PunjabiOil says:

I agree. Guy did a fantastic job.

Wish him well at the THN.

5. Dennis says:

THN certainly isn’t what it used to but it certainly still is something.

Guy was a guy I used to really like giving a hard time because he started out as one of the typical Edm media suckholes but by the end of things he would actually sometimes criticize the org and we all know he was always the man for quotes when it came from or about the kids.

I’d imagine he’s the first guy to ever go legit from the Edm scene when it came to making his initial name on the net.

All the best to him.

6. Ribs says:

This news truly does suck. We can only hope that his duties at The Hockey News are Oilers centric.

Nice off season signing by THN. I haven’t subscribed to the mag since I was a teenager but I’ve picked up the odd issue here and there over the years. Sometimes they have some very thought out articles and touch on some interesting topics but for the most part the rest is just filler. Maybe adding some quality guys like Guy will make the mag better on a more consistent basis and worth picking up regularly, who knows.

7. Guy Flaming says:

hey… I haven't died ya know!

Thanks for the kind words everybody, even you Dennis. I'll try to explain in 50 words or less:

Have not quit HF, just not writing 100% Oilers. The Oiler stuff I did for HF you'll still get, just on the air and at the blog for the show.

THN stuff will be new to me as it is 99% NHL topics… no prospects stuff there.

And LT is the one who is wrong. A top pairing D-man > a 2nd line center, therefore Petry > Nash.

:-)

What’s Petry up to now? 175 pounds? No wonder HF fired you.

:-)

9. Brock says:

I have been a lurker @ HF boards since the Ninimakki (spelling???) draft. I have read every article Guy has ever posted, I even PM’ed him once. As a matter of fact my greatest pleasure as an oiler fan has always been reading anything authored by G. Flaming. As a reader, not a poster, I will sincerely say good-bye to a great era in Oiler blogging.

10. Ribs says:

Congrats on the job, Guy.

Maybe you can help steer the ship towards some prospects stuff?

11. PDO says:

I don’t follow prospects overly closely… my exposure is basically Guy, LT, Stats and World Champs.

That said, I’d have Petry at one and Nash at two…. Petry just looks like one of those rare guys who does everything exceptionally well.

Tom Gilbert with a shot.

Nash looks fantastic, but he still has a long way to go, and a lot more to prove thus far, especially with his cool 2nd half. Still sounds a lot like Scorecoff though…

12. jon k says:

Petry is currently within a handful of pounds of 200 now I believe.

He’s going to be a treat of a player.

13. Asiaoil says:

Guy did a great job and I enjoyed almost all his stuff – except each year when he speculates that a highly rated 19 year old prospect at a quality US school is going to quit and ride buses for the Bumfuzz Broncos of the CHL :) Not happening big fella :) Anyway – onward and upward – good luck with the new and existing gigs.

14. Cloned says:

PDO:

I think Gilbert has a pretty decent wrist shot, but he needs to work on his slapper and onetimer (I only recall him scoring one onetimer goal last season against Phoenix).

The thing I’m excited about with Petry is that he can play a physical game, something that Gilbert isn’t suited for.