The Building of a Dynasty Continues

This is Scott Gordon in the uniform of the Halifax Citadels (AHL). He played goal in college for the Boston College Eagles and then pro in the AHL, ECHL and 23 NHL games that saw him give up over 100 goals in over 1,000 minutes.

That isn’t good.

Among his teammates during his career were names like Tony Amonte, Cory Cross, Bill Derlago, Brent Gretzky, Bill Guerin, Claude Julien, Guy Lafleur, Risto Siltanen, Peter Stastny. It might be hard to see in this photo, but he seems to have the Mike Comrie haircut.

I don’t actually recall too many goalies as head coaches, and can’t recall any GM goalie hiring a goalie as his head coach.

It’s not a bad situation for Gordon. I can’t imagine the Islanders expect to make the playoffs this season (if they had planned on it they wouldn’t have fired the last guy). All he really has to do is roll all the players under 25 out there a lot (Bergenheim, Comeau, Nielson, Okposo, Tambellini, Campoli, Gervais) and make sure Rick DiPietro stays away from the guys who do stuff that is damaging to long careers.

His pro coaching resume looks very good, and I think we can safely say the Bruce Boudreau success story in Washington has NHL general managers looking toward the AHL more than they have at any time since the days of Don Cherry.

If this keeps up, maybe John Paddock gets another chance.

20 Responses to "The Building of a Dynasty Continues"

1. Cloned says:

I still don’t know what they’re doing there. I mean, Snow looks competent one minute, and the next you can literally see the puppet strings on his arms. Hopefully Katz will be like the anti-Wang.

As for Paddock, one of my friends is a diehard Sens fan. He hates Bryan Murray for destroying Muckler’s team. And I don’t blame him.

2. Ribs says:

The Flyers promoted from within last time they needed a coach…Maybe Paddock will make his way up the ladder in Philly some day. Oy.

3. uni says:

I still don’t know what happened to the Sens. Then went from a yearly power with excellent drafting and prospects always bubbling under to their current state.

Never did get that goalie though; I have fond memories of Joseph then Belfour defeating the Sens playoff after playoff.

Also I don’t know how much of that blame can be placed on the coaching of Martin. That said it’s funny how he went from a team loaded with talented players but lacking goaltending, to a team with an elite goaltender but lacking depth =). I’ll never understand how Hitchcock remained without a team for as long as he did.

4. Doogie2K says:

The only goalie-turned-coach I can think of off the top of my head is Glen Hanlon, formerly of Washington. I’m sure there’s more, but he was the first to pop into my mind.

5. Oilman says:

Glen Hanlon and Ron Low are the two that immediately pop into my head….beyond that – I can’t really recall. I’m sure Patrick has his eye on an NHL job if he can stay out of Jail.

6. Bill Needle says:

I seem to remember that Emile Francis was a pioneer of sorts, being a goalie who went on to coach the Rangers, then later Hartford. Ed Johnston, I believe, has coached prior to moving to the management side with the Penguins.
    None that I remember had any kind of success.

7. Dennis says:

I don’t think I’ve seen any of the numbers guys take a crack at the ’08 Sens but it was shocking to see how that team crumbled. We went from looking at that late fall-early winter team to just knowing they didn’t have a chance against the Pens in the playoffs.

Is there anything to be pointed at outside of the hard-to-quantify Emery situation?

I’m not saying Gordon’s the right or wrong hire on the Island but if Nolan wasn’t going to play the kids, then I think it’s just as well that they fire him. It’s not an org that’s a big draw for FA’s so they’ve got to build through the kids and like the Oilers they’ve got to put the cart before the horse in terms of showing they can win before a FA might come and help them out. From what I’ve read, Nolan didn’t seem to believe in the kids so unless he was to make a sea change in his approach, it was best to turf him.

8. Doogie2K says:

Bah, how did I forget the namer of this blog?

Also, wasn’t it Lester Patrick who made the rather bizarre move of going from coach to backup goalie with the Rangers, thanks to a penalty or injury back in the 20s?

9. Jonathan says:

The complete collapse of Wade Redden, perhaps? It’s hard to know without looking at the splits.

And if Nolan was going to undermine Snow’s position as GM, as he seems wont to do. I can’t imagine he gets another NHL gig anytime soon.

10. Dennis says:

See, I find it hard to get on Nolan because the first GM he clashed with is that certified super-arsehole, John Muckler. I’ve got a feeling that it’s easy to have a falling out with that guy, so, when Nolan went head-to-head with him, I took Nolan’s side.

Now, if Nolan’s had another big split with his boss – and this appears to be the case – then we’re looking at:

A: a guy who has problems with authority figures

B: we can put this episode in it’s own guide because Nolan believed — and certainly truthfully so — that playing vets will get you closer to the playoffs than playing the kids and he followed that ago-old axiom of trying to save his job by playing vets.

We’ve seen lots of guys do this.

11. Jonathan says:

A: a guy who has problems with authority figures

Either way, though, A and B are the same thing- Nolan figures he knows better than the GM, and maybe he does (I think Nolan’s an excellent coach) but when it comes to job preservation, rule number one is not deliberately disobeying your immediate superior or disagreeing with him in the media. I can’t see another GM taking a chance on a coach that doesn’t properly understand the coach-GM relationship. At least, not at the NHL level.

12. andy grabia says:

Check this out, LT. Hard to believe it was 14 years ago.

My son was born day after Valentine’s day, 1994. I told him I’d be a good Dad and that the Montreal Expos were going to win the World Series.

Thanks, Bud.

14. Oilman says:

that was a helluva team

15. Scott says:

“The strike also led to an absurdity: Minnesota traded Dave Winfield to the Cleveland Indians for a player to be named later before the season was officially canceled, so no player was named. To settle the deal, the executives of the teams went to dinner, and Cleveland picked up the tab, meaning Winfield had been dealt for dinner.”

A funny story I hadn’t heard before today. Do you think we could trade JFJ for a nice steak and lobster dinner if he’s pointless again this year?

As for the strike, if that happened to the Oilers I’d curse the NHL and swear never to watch again… but I don’t think I could stick to my guns like you have, LT.

16. Art Vandelay says:

Gerry Cheevers coached the Bruins.

17. James Mirtle says:

Jacques Martin was a netminder in the NCAA.

There are a few goalies turned GMs, too.

18. Dennis says:

When Randy Milligan comes off the bench to hit three run homers at Wrigley field in the 9th inning, you’re gonna have a season.

Fuck, that still hurts and you’d think you’d grow out of stuff like that but it will always hurt.

Summers are much longer and somewhat boring since that team franchise was annulled.

19. Oilman says:

Randy Milligan – are you or LT ever going to mention an old Expo that didn’t play for the Mets?;o)

Oilman: They all played for the Mets eventually. Hell even Pepe Mangual played there.