Training Camp Rosters

This is Adam Huxley. He was on the Oilers 07-08 training camp roster, and over the years has appeared in training camps for Phoenix, Washington and Calgary.

Training camp rosters are always interesting, but for the Oilers I think there may be some surprises.

Why?

Two reasons.

First, there is a plethora of unsigned free agents with NHL experience, and these men have to land somewhere. Second, if we add up all the players we know will attend Edmonton’s camp this fall we’re going to get a big number (70+, probably) but there are still some holes (a veteran RW center and possibly a veteran D).

Last season’s official training camp roster read like this (with those players who made the opening night roster in bold and dates for send out for the others):

Goalies

1. Dwayne Roloson
  2. Mathieu Garon
  3. Jeff Deslauriers (9/29)
  4. Devan Dubnyk (9/27
  5. Glenn Fisher (9/16)
  6. Bryan Pitton (9/16)

Nothing astounding there, although I do find it interesting each fall that Dubnyk seems to get about as much playing time, attention and days in camp as Deslauriers. I’d love to know what the coaching staff really thinks about those two.

Defensemen
  1. Joni Pitkanen
  2. Steve Staios
  3. Sheldon Souray
  4. Matt Greene
  5. Dick Tarnstrom
  6. Tom Gilbert
  7. Denis Grebeshkov (HS opening night)
  8. Ladislav Smid (10/03)
  9. Mathieu Roy (10/03)
  10. Alex Plante (10/03)
  11. Sebastien Bisaillon (9/26)
  12. Danny Syvret (9/26)
  13. Bryan Young (9/26)
  14. TJ Kemp (9/24)
  15. Theo Peckham (9/16)
  16. Rick Berry (9/16)
  17. TJ Reynolds (9/16)
  18. Allan Rourke (9/16)

Important to note that Plante was injured so his being taken off the roster as part of the final cuts was basically house keeping. Final cut Smid was back October 24th. Roy, Young, Peckham and Rourke also say playing time with the big club. Something we also need to remember is that Gilbert was no lock for the opening night lineup but he made it and then had a helluva year.

Centermen
  1. Shawn Horcoff
  2. Jarrett Stoll
  3. Marty Reasoner
  4. Andrew Cogliano
  5. Tyler Spurgeon (10/03)
  6. Ben Simon (9/27)
  7. Jonas Almtorp (9/27)
  8. Rob Schremp (9/26)
  9. Fredrik Johansson (9/26)
  10. Vitaly Karamnov (9/16)
  11. Milan Kytnar (9/16)

I’ve tried to list the forwards by their positions on opening night/exiting camp, so because of that fact three natural centermen (Brodziak, Pouliot and Gagner) are listed elsewhere. Spurgeon (like Plante) was injured and removed from the roster at cutdown time. I don’t think we can draw much of a conclusion about when Schremp was sent down except that he was coming off surgery. Schremp is the only player not in bold on that depth chart who played in the show last season.

Left Wing

1. Dustin Penner
  2. Raffi Torres
  3. Geoff Sanderson
  4. JF Jacques
  5. Ethan Moreau (IR, 10/03)
  6. Patrick Thoresen (10/03, waivers)
  7. Tim Sestito (9/27)
  8. Liam Reddox (9/26)
  9. Slava Trukhno (9/26)
  10. Troy Bodie (9/26)
  11. Adam Huxley (9/24)
  12. Ryan Flinn (9/17)
  13. Stephane Goulet (9/16)
  14. Jacob Micflikier (9/16)
  15. Geoff Paukovich (9/16)
  16. William Quist (9/16)

Lots of turnover at that position year over year with Raffi, Sanderson and Thoresen among the notables being sent away. Look at how late that bugger Sestito got sent out, I swear he’s one to watch because they love the guy. Reddox played a little with the big club from the bubbling under pile as did Thoresen before finally getting plucked off waivers by the Flyers.

Right Wing

1. Ales Hemsky
  2. Robert Nilsson
  3. Kyle Brodziak
  4. Sam Gagner
  5. Marc Pouliot (HS opening night)
  6. Zack Stortini (10/03)
  7. Anson Carter (released October 1)
  8. Ryan O’Marra (9/26)
  9. Colin McDonald (9/16)
  10. David Rohlfs (9/16)

Interesting stuff here, including Stortini getting sent down but coming back October 13. Anson Carter was an interesting name and O’Marra had the training camp (and season) from hell.

I think that’s everyone. If the list is correct, the Oilers invited 6 goalies, 18 defensemen and 37 forwards (61 players) to training camp one year ago. It varies from season to season, but I’d guess Edmonton will add to the list below:

2008-09 (A Work In Progress)

Goalies

6. Gilbert Brule
  7. Tim Sestito
  8. Ryan O’Marra
  9. Tyler Spurgeon
  10. Jacob Micflikier
  11. Toby Lafrance

Interesting list. Players 4-6 offer an interesting array of skills and that should be the most interesting race of training camp.

Left Wing

1. Dustin Penner
  2. Sam Gagner
  3. Erik Cole
  4. Ethan Moreau
  5. JF Jacques
  6. Ryan Potulny
  7. Bryan Lerg
  8. Slava Trukhno
  9. Geoff Paukovich
  10. Kelly Czuy
  11. Garet Hunt
  12. Philippe Cornet

I don’t want to get into a debate about where Cole is slotted, he certainly is the best player in the group. There’s just a ton of talent here on this depth chart and if Jacques is healthy a lot of the Garet Hunt’s on the TC list are going to be sent out early.

Right Wing

1. Ales Hemsky
  2. Robert Nilsson
  3. Fernando Pisani
  4. Zack Stortini
  5. Liam Reddox
  6. Carl Corazzini
  7. Stephane Goulet
  8. Colin McDonald
  9. David Rohlfs
  10. Justin Chwedoruk
  11. Hans Benson
  12. Jamie Bates
  13. Jordan Eberle

That’s 64. I think the Oilers will add several to the list and may approach 70 names this fall.

25 Responses to "Training Camp Rosters"

1. HBomb says:

If Cole IS the best player on the LW list:

a) He should be listed first.

b) He should be playing with Horcoff and Hemsky.

Simple as that.

There shouldn’t be a debate – when you bring a LW in who is that good, he’s got to play with your best C and RW. How Penner fits in on lines 2/3 with the likes of Cogliano, Gagner, Nilsson, Pisani, etc. is the subject of another discussion altogether.

It’s going to be interesting, that’s for sure.

3. James says:

Penner had some chemistry with Gagner last season. A line of Penner/Gagner/Nilsson would be pretty damn good.

I still think Cogs is more of a “marchant with hands” like MacT said. Reminds me of a young Peca. He should be between Pisani/Moreau.

But that isn’t the point, really. In the reasonable expectations post (Erik Cole post) I said:

There’s a decision to be made in regard to Cole and Penner. In a perfect world, MacT would line Cole up with Horcoff and Hemsky and run power v. power every night in the heart of the order. However, if this team is going to have some balance and be able to send more than one heavy lifting line over the boards (especially on the road) it’s probably necessary to place Cole on a line with Fernando Pisani. Cole got results in Carolina in a somewhat similar situation and must have had exceptional value to the team. If they go that route, what will it affect?

Do the Oilers have enough talent to run 2 power vs. power lines out there? I don’t know, but it’s an interesting option for the coach.

5. Gord says:

I'm not the coach but I totally agree james (especially at ES). Penner has the size, experience & more important – the demeanor to keep Gagner & Nilsson relaxed.

And Cogliano's defensive skills would increase immensely by playing with Pisani & Moreau.

Halfway through the season (or earlier if injuries occur) the lines can re-juggled; but for the short term, everyone benefits with your concept.

6. nancy says:

You have Gagner listed under right wing for the 07-08 TC and left wing for the 08-09 TC, which leads me to ask, do you think Gagner stays on the wing this year and if so, which wing?

Nancy: I listed him at RW because that’s where he played opening night (according to nhl.com).

I think he’ll be a center on this team as soon as this season, but don’t know how it’ll work. I mean, Gagner is kind of on his own timeline, when MacT’s comfortable with him there then someone moves.

8. HBomb says:

I guess it depends if MacT is comfortable with the “third” line (i.e. second toughest matchup) line being either of the following combinations:

Penner-Pouliot-Pisani (kid line as “second” line)
    Moreau-Cogliano-Pisani (Penner with Gagner/Nilsson on soft minutes duty)

My preference is to have Moreau as the 4LW with Brodziak and Stortini, if they think Pouliot and Penner with Pisani can handle some tougher matchups.

MAP is a huge X-factor on this roster this year, unless Bryan Smolinski shows up as a training camp invite and plays his way onto the team…..

9. spOILer says:

HBomb…

Tanguay spent a good part of the Flames season, albeit unhappily, on the second line for the exact parallel reason LT is proposing… to stop being out-scored whenever Iginla wasn’t on the ice.

I don’t think it is any sort of lock that the best 3 players at their position all play on the same line.

Hence Dave Semenko, Clark Gillies, maybe even Jacques Lemaire.

I understand the inclination to do things that way, but I don’t think it is the only way or necessarily the best way.

Why can’t there be a debate?

10. HBomb says:

Why can’t there be a debate?

Maybe I should have phrased that differently – sure there can be a debate, and even though I can make sense of other scenarios (such as a Cole/Pisani pairing on the wings), it still comes back to the same thing for me.

You've got a guy in Cole with speed, size, and finish who plays LW. Sounds like the perfect complement for one Ales Hemsky to me. Not only that, you traded your best "chip" (Joni Pitkanen) for him. You don't make that kind of investment asset-wise and put the guy on the 3rd line.

Furthermore, you've sighted an interesting case in Tanguay and his wanting out of Calgary because of his role. Do you think Cole even entertains re-upping with the Oilers if they play him on the 3rd line? You put him with H&H, and the guy not only rolls up some nice counting numbers, you've got a line capable of playing power-vs-power with just about anyone, a la the Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky trio we all came to know and love in 2006.

I've gone through several 'scenarios' with line combinations (because that's what I do) and I always arrive back at the same conclusion. I know it may sound too much like that "It HAS to be downtown" line from the arena report, but Cole HAS to play with Hemsky and Horcoff. Putting that kind of talent on the 3rd line LW spot seems like a waste, with all due respect to Pisani and whomever ends up centering that particular unit…..

11. Vic Ferrari says:

Hbomb:

Well whether everyone agrees that Cole is playing on the third line or the first line or whatever, there is no doubt that he’ll be logging the most minutes of the LWs on any given night at evens, and largely at the most important times as well.

I mean in the 05/06 season Horcoff played more against good players (certainly not every game, but on the whole), and was on the ice for nearly twice as many own zone draws as Peca. The fact that 99% of guys in the coffee room, at the sports bar, and calling into talk radio had decided that Peca was the Oilers shutdown guy is immaterial. Same goes for Smyth over Moreau for that and other seasons. In Canada we generally seem more comfortable with the pigeonholes than the actual roles on the ice. I don’t know why.

I’m with LT as well, in thinking that Gagner is a bit of a wildcard in terms of role. I know he’s barely started shaving, but it wouldn’t surprise me a bit to see the guy being drifted towards centre at times, and maybe playing a dozen or more games in against the other teams best players (probably against the teams whose best offensive players give a lot back the other way … so vs Cammaleri and Bertuzzi, but not Iginla. Against Kopitar but not Frolov, Against Stastny and Wolski but not Sakic and Smyth, against Ribiero but not against Richards or Modano … that sort of thing.

Just a guess, mind. That’s what I would do. You hope that he’s got the Hemsky mindset, that he wants to play against good players, that he’ll start figuring out when not to force plays at the blue lines.

12. HBomb says:

I completely concur Vic, and I hope he’s doing that power vs. power. If he’s in the same league as Smyth in the two way department (which I believe he is), Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky can handle that gig.

We have seen that the “checking line” myth rarely works, and when it does, the guy playing the centre spot is usually a veteran who is exceptional defensively (think Pahlsson and Madden). If the Oilers decide to go with a checking line facing the Zetterbergs, one of Cogliano/Pouliot/Brodziak is going to be the pivot on that line. I don’t care how good the wingers are (Moreau/Pisani), that’s an awful lot to ask of any of those three players.

Hence, I firmly believe the best bet is power-vs-power with CHH. The only other alternative I think we could see that might work in short stretches would be Penner-Gagner-Hemsky playing as a trio getting protection from a 2nd line of Cole-Horcoff-Pisani (think of how the Rangers deployed Jagr the last couple years). And the problem with this scenario is you’re left with Moreau babysitting two kids (Cogliano/Nilsson) on the third line. Too much responsibility for one trio, IMO.

13. raventalon40 says:

No Vitaly Karamnov this year? He was pretty good at training camp last year, wasn’t he?

14. Asiaoil says:

Cole Horcoff Hemsky
    Penner Gagner Nilsson
    Moreau MAP Pisani
    Brodziak Cogs Stortini

The top line plays PvP and lots of defensive zone draws for obvious reasons. Penner with Gags and Rowbear could do some serious, serious damage against the softies and with 2nd team PP minutes. No contract issues with this pump either as both Penner/Nilsson are signed and Gags will get his anyway. The 3rd line has two very solid vets and the mysterious Mr Pouliot who has the size, defense, passing and game to handle tougher matchups with these wingers…….in theory. Finally I’m totally OK with Cogs/Gags flipping around between softer 2nd/4th line minutes as Bordziak/Stortini can out-perform most other 4th liners.

PS….now I have always been a Cogliano booster since the beginning but I have this funny feeling that his trade value may never be as high as it is right now. So much went right for the kid last year that I will not be disappointed or surprised by a less stellar year offensively. In fact I would be surprised if he matched last year’s numbers with Horcoff healthy and Gags a year older.

15. doritogrande says:

Look, we all know MacBlender loves to fuck with his lines. I'm pretty confidant in saying both Penner and Cole will get playing time with H&H in any given game. It just depends on situation.

Asia: Putting Cogliano on the 4th line is kind of eye-opening, especially when you're already annointing Gagner with centre-ice duties. I remember him not doing so hot at the face-off dot last year. And unless this has changed in the off-season (highly possible) I don't think we can trust him to centre that 2-line yet. We're still better off with Cogliano there.

hbomb makes a good point about the PvP line-up. Take Detroit for example. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are on the same line, and can do enough of the heavy lifting that they can shelter the 2-line of Mule-Filppula-Samullson(sp?) without question. And given the ages of Maltby/Draper, arguably the best shut-down tandem of the past decade or so, I think it's fair to suggest they aren't playing the toughs anymore. Can anyone else agree that Maltby/Draper will be somewhat equal to Pisani/Moreau this season?

So if we're using Detroit as the standard, we throw Cole with H&H to give us the Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Holmer type of PvP first line attack, throw Brodziak (a young up and coming bottom-6 threat) in with Pisani/Moreau to create a decent 3rd line option (to play the #2 tough minutes) similar to the way Detroit will be using Draper/Maltby to train up Darren Helm. The kids are again re-united on the 2-line to take the easy minutes, as will Detroit's second.

We've got the talent to ice a forward crew very similar to Detroit's. Let's go for it.

…aaaand I just realize that I've forgotten to slot Penner. Crap. There goes my Kid line.

I'm loathe to put Cogliano on the 3rd line, because I don't think that's where his career potential lies, but it may have to be the option this year, with Brodziak dropping to 4-line.

We've really got 7 legitimate top-6ers this year. How odd is this?

Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Gagner-Cogliano-Nilsson
    Moreau/Penner-Brodziak-Pisani
    Penner/Moreau-MAP-Stortini

16. Schitzo says:

Not to become an annoying echo, but give it a month, someone will get hurt.

17. HBomb says:

Not to become an annoying echo, but give it a month, someone will get hurt.

On that specific topic and the idea of “Moreau insurance”, I’m going to throw out a veteran name for a training camp invite for consideration.

Martin Gelinas.

Listed as LW, but maybe could he still play a little C as well? Could be the perfect fit for the 13th forward spot….

18. knighttown says:

An interesting take (or maybe it isn’t. You decide!) from The Hockey News is that they have Andrew Cogliano as one of the top upward movers in terms of points this season (mid sixties?). I believe the quote was that Horcoff was basically holding the #1C spot until Cogs is ready, maybe this year, maybe not.

If not seen that scenario discussed at all on the Oilogosphere but would that look like this?

Cole-Cogliano-Hemsky
    Penner/Nilsson-Horcoff-Gagner
    Nilsson/Penner-Pouliot-Pisani
    Moreau-Brodz-Storts

The lines that don’t make much sense often seem to get used, so maybe?

Well I think eventually Gagner is going to be the top minutes center but it’s unlikely this season and he’s a fair poke from taking over Horcoff’s tough sledding.

20. HBomb says:

No kidding – Gagner turns 26 about seven weeks after the end of Horcoff’s current contract. I think that’s our 1-2 punch for the forseeable future.

Saying Cogliano is going to take over Horcoff’s role sounds like something that came straight off HF boards.

21. Asiaoil says:

Like I said – Cogs trade value will likely never be higher than it is right now – it’s THN but overall the expectations are grossly inflated. The kid could surprise but he’s never been a prolific scorer at the NCAA or WJC level – much more of a smaller-faster Horcoff perhaps. I hope he has a great year but a return to reality is likely in store for him.

22. HBomb says:

Cogliano’s a good player, but if on January 1st, the Panthers offered Boumeester for Souray and Cogliano and we had an agreement in place with J-Bo for an extension?

I’d pull the trigger without hesitation if I were GM.

23. oilerdiehard says:

Asia – The kid could surprise but he’s never been a prolific scorer at the NCAA or WJC level.

You mean as a 2nd year player not getting the heavy rotation minutes (those went to Hensick, Porter, Rolhfs). I know because I watched a lot of Michigan games that year. A guy who played on the 2nd line and was 8th in the nation in points and 7th in nation in goal scoring does not count as prolific in any way?

24. Hockey4Life says:

Just as an FYI to everyone, Erik Cole has played RW his entire NHL career. He is a left handed shot that prefers to play the right side.

25. Jonathan says:

Don’t forget about Andrew Perugini on the roster, LT ;)