Attention-Getter

I had an interesting exchange today with a former pro hockey player. This fellow played a little here and there, attended a pro camp and has oodles of connections in the hockey industry.

Anyway, we talked a little about Geoff Paukovich and the hit from last night’s game. He didn’t see the play, so I described it to him (basically a reaction play after taking a clean hit. Paukovich may not have had death and destruction on his mind but his actions were outside what we might term “a hockey play”) and was surprised by his reaction.

My friend said that despite the danger and the reputation a hit of this nature might bring, getting the attention of the coaching staff is paramount even this early in training camp. He then went on to say that one year he attended NHL camp he ran the goalie in the first scrimmage he played in for that exact reason. Seriously.

So despite what we might term a cheap shot or a dangerous, ill-advised hit there may be method in the madness. A team looking for toughness at the big league and minor league level got a little reminder about Geoff Paukovich’s presence on the roster.

23 Responses to "Attention-Getter"

1. Scott says:

I admittedly did not hear the interview last night, but Guy said that Paukovich sounded remorseful and a bit upset about the hit and that ‘he isn’t trying to hurt anybody’.

Given how the Bina hit affected him in college, I would guess that he’s not so physical in the next couple games and is an early cut.

Not that I disagree with the theory, just it’s application to Greg Paukovich.

2. Matt says:

If he really wants to get the coaches’ attention, he should do it to Cogliano next week…

The point, though — that most coaches are willing or even eager to have a guy on the roster who’s shown they will hurt someone (provided they’re not running around trying to do it every shift) — is obviously true. It’s good to hear someone close to the game (even secondhand) acknowledge as much.

3. mc79hockey says:

I fully expect to see NHL personnel cross-examined on this post during the inevitable case of [INSERT PLAYER NAME HERE] vs. Paukovich and [INSERT NHL TEAM NAME HERE].

I didn’t see the play but if he was trying to make a mark, running the goalie would have been a better idea.

I do know Marc Crawford told him to do it.

5. the gabe says:

Paukovich and Garet Hunt were right in it with the Bears on their first shift tonight, and Paukovich also had a huge shot block on the PK.

6. spOILer says:

Sounds like Maslonka had a good first period. 6’6″ 240 lbs. Sheesh.

7. mike w says:

I’ve missed the first. Any standout players, in as far as the radio can tell you anything?

8. doritogrande says:

mike: I’ve liked the work of Eberle, Maslonka, and Hunt.

From what I’ve heard (and read) Lerg, Eberle and Cornet have done some nice things. Gregor is blogging over at Oilers Nation, some interesting viewpoints including being unimpressed with O’Marra.

Here’s hoping he can turn it around.

10. Ribs says:

Hitting people from behind will start heads to shake before they start to make them turn. Immediate ejections don’t really help you in the long run, I’m afraid.

Then again, the man called Mush somehow played over 1000 NHL games.

11. doritogrande says:

Quick, who’s this Bernier character. Is this the dude that played for my Moose sparingly for a couple seasons?

12. doritogrande says:

Yep, remember him. Thanks ribs. He seemed inconsistent with the Moose.

13. Ribs says:

Yup. This from Hocey’s Future 06/14/08

“Marc-Andre Bernier, RW – 2nd round, 60th overall
    Status: Bust
    NHL Games Played: 0

At 6’3 and almost 220 lbs, Bernier was touted in his draft year as a big winger with a very hard slap shot who might be a better professional than junior. Bernier was never able to put it all together and struggled with consistency as a junior bouncing back and forth between the Halifax Mooseheads and the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles during his tenure in the QMJHL. Most concerning at the time was Bernier’s seeming lack of progress year to year.

Bernier has been a professional for three seasons now and with the exception of 39 AHL games, appears destined to a career in the ECHL, where he has settled in as a decent offensive contributor. The Laval, Quebec native will have difficulty raising his game to another level in North America due largely to his below-par skating.”

Not very promising.

14. doritogrande says:

Perugini’s making a solid impression. Don’t think he belongs back in the OHL.

15. Bruce says:

Perugini’s making a solid impression. Don’t think he belongs back in the OHL.

I was one of 3000+ who attended the game tonight. I made a point of watching the two goalies, and actually had some idea who Perugini was thanks to some posts Jonathan made about him at C&B. Who he was tonight was by far the more impressive of the two goalies, earning third-star honours with 30 minutes of shutout work.

Both Pitton and Perugini made a number of fine stops, but the difference was in the little things. My scribbled notes on Pitton included these comments:

– trouble with carom off backboards
    – poor rebound control
    – puckhandling error
    – couldn't find puck
    – adventure!

.. describing five different plays during his 30 minutes of work.

Meanwhile, my comments on Perugini were things like:

– excellent rebound control
    – no rebound on screen shot
    – again, no rebound
    – battled hard against crease crashers

… and he just looked by far the more polished, professional goalie at this point. Not saying that Pitton can't file off these rough edges in time, and perhaps he's the better pure stopper, who knows. But for right now Perugini looks more comfortable and commanding in the crease.

16. therealdeal says:

When I heard about that hit last night all I could think of was ‘what a jerk.’

17. raventalon40 says:

I was also at the rookie/golden bears tilt. I didn’t find Maslonka as impressive however. He’s got some great tools and a hard point shot but he’s almost always over-committing and out of position. On multiple occasions I saw him pinch at the wrong times.

Eberle, Lerg, Chorney, and Hunt were really impressive, however. Milan Kytnar was very good on faceoffs.

Surprisingly, O’Marra wasn’t as effective as I would have expected him to be.

18. B.C.B. says:

I was watching some oiler rookie hockey fights: and I really did not like Milan Maslonka hitting the Canuck when he was down (and usually I have no problem with some kicking the crap out of Van: boy do I hate them).

I know it is ‘attention-getting’ time but that and possible the Paulovick (I didn’t see it) are without reason: the opponent didn’t do anything to our skilled players so they should be treated fairly. AND I AM A MOUTH BREATHER AND LIKE A LITTLE GOOD OL’ FASHION THUGGARY (only if the other player deserves it)

19. CrazyCoach says:

Wow!

A big hit will do it. I usually tell players to wear two different coloured socks. The gaudier the better. Wear those, run the goalie during warm up, and you are going to be noticed by the coach!

20. GSC says:

This hit happened years ago, it’s old news. And I completely agree with the old pro, getting the attention of a coach is paramount during camp. Want him to remember you the next time he sees you on the ice and you aren’t exactly able to dangle your way to a roster spot? Throw with someone or do something like that pro did. It’s about making a name for yourself, no doubt about it.

21. sexy says:

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,a片,情趣用品,視訊聊天室,聊天室,視訊,ut聊天室,聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人電影,

A片,A片,AV女優,色情,成人,做愛,情色,AIO,視訊聊天室,SEX,聊天室,自拍,AV,情色,成人,情色,aio,sex,成人,情色,色情,情色電影,色情網站,av女優,av,自拍,成人,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,AV女優,成人,聊天室,ut聊天室,av女優

免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,言情小說,愛情小說,AV片,A漫,av dvd,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,情色文學,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,成人論壇,色情

微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

22. sexy says: