No Need to Repot a Plante?

Don’t look now but someone named Alex Plante has an assist for the Calgary Hitmen tonight. He’s halfway to last season’s total. Weird, real weird. I guess a trade demand in junior hockey isn’t worth much.

17 Responses to "No Need to Repot a Plante?"

1. Cloned says:

What I’m getting out of this story is that Lowe should have kept Pronger.

What?

;-)

2. Schitzo says:

I haven’t followed Washington’s camp at all – is Alzner likely to return to junior?

If not, I can see how it’s in the Hitmen’s best interests to mend fences with Plante.

3. Mark-Ryan says:

Alzner is 20. Would he not go to the AHL?

4. Schitzo says:

He’s 19, isn’t he? Same as Gagner…?

5. Mark-Ryan says:

Alzner turned 20 on September 24th. He was born in ’88. Gagner is 11 months younger.

6. Paper Designer says:

Classless thing to do by the Hitmen. If you want the player, play him. If you don’t want him, trade him.

They’ll probably deal if a team is convinced Plante is worth whatever the Hitmen believe he should command. Jerks.

7. Schitzo says:

mark-ryan: Still, doesn’t WHL eligibility go by draft year? I thought all 2007 draft picks could play this year.

8. Schitzo says:

A followup: According to this article:

he attended the Hitmen’s camp at the end of August before reporting to Washington.

9. Mark-Ryan says:

Schizo: I asked because I didn’t know. I’m not sure it would be in the Capitols best interest to send him back to junior, he’s ready for pro and I think he’s eligible, but I could be wrong.

10. Hemsky is a gangsta says:

I guess a trade demand in junior hockey isn’t worth much.

It’s not, really. Which I tried to explain on HF. I’m surprised his even leaked to the media.

11. Schitzo says:

Yeah, I can’t see how a trade request holds much weight. At that level of development, a holdout only hurts the player.

12. Doogie2K says:

Alzner is indeed 20 and would go to the A.

As for Plante, I was as surprised as anyone else. I sat down in my seat five minutes into the first (I missed the opening faceoff and it took that long to get a whistle), and noticed that #4 no longer belonged to some kid I’d never heard of. There’s nothing about it on the Hitmen website, but the report in the Herald suggests that the demand has been recindend, at least for now.

Wait, what? You have no idea what’s going on here, nor do any of us. For all we know, Plante and Kisio made nice, and Lowry agreed/offered to give Plante a chance to be the all-situations guy he was in ’07. Actually, if anything, I would submit that even if they were going to trade him, they would play the shit out of him so that (a) other teams would be able to see that ’08 was the aberration, not ’07, and (b) so that the Oilers can’t make any fuss about the Hitmen sabotaging Plante’s development.

I can appreciate the willingness to believe that the Hitmen are evil because they’re owned by the Flames and largely run by Flames alumni, but the facts simply aren’t in evidence.

13. Ribs says:

So…did he play? Did he get some ice time? Was he on the 1st unit powerplay?

He played, got a second assist at EVs and finished at even which means someone scored later against the Hitmen at EVS when he was on the ice.

Actually, the minus came with less than a minute left the the other side pressing. It was an EV goal but only 3 Hitmen got a minus (4 Kootenay skaters got a plus). Bad line change? Anyway, it was Plante, Postma and Sonne so he was out with good players late defending the lead.

15. Doogie2K says:

@LT: It was actually the elusive regulation-time 3-on-3. From the scoresheet:

17:52 Bailey Ktn, McMillan Cal (slashing)
    17:59 Barteaux Ktn (tripping)
    18:32 Bortis Cal (interference)

It should be noted that the last penalty against Calgary came on a blatant dive that was blindingly obvious from my perspective, facing the play directly five rows up. Bortis tried to argue at the time and during the break before OT, but the referee (Herman) was unsympathetic. Anyway, the Hitmen had all kinds of trouble clearing the zone — I dunno if they were too tired at that point or just too slow — but after 40 seconds, the Ice finally capitalized.

As for the situations he played in, I’m still figuring out with “first” versus “second” PP unit, especially with guys still returning from NHL camps, but he certainly got a number of minutes in all situations, and was one of the three guys on the ice defending a one-goal lead with an empty net at the other end, so clearly Lowry wasn’t holding back on him at all.

Amusingly, at one point in OT, he was the second man on a 2-on-1, but got caught up to and ran out of real estate before he could make a play. He may be a decent point man, but his offensive instincts below the hashmarks, at least on this night, were a bit off. =)

16. Ribs says:

Thanks,guys. It should be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Doogie, Please keep us updated if you’re a regular at the Hitmen games!

17. Doogie2K says:

I am indeed a regular: a season-ticket holder, in fact. I make no guarantees about my scouting reports, especially since I go to Hitmen games specifically not to pay too much attention, but as things strike me, I’ll certainly mention them.