Oilers at Canucks, Pre-Season G2

This is Glenn Anderson. He used to fly into Vancouver and lay waste to the Canucks on a regular basis.

The Vancouver Canucks have Jesus Luongo in net tonight and that has to be worth a goal or two.

The game starts at 8 which means I can watch some baseball and read a book before turning on the radio. I’ll be asleep by ten bells and snoring by 10:15. At my age anything that starts at 8 better be over by 10PM.

My wife certainly knows this is true. :-)

The Oilers lineup looks like this:

Cogliano-Nilsson-Trukhno
Brodziak-Lerg-Eberle
Brule-Potulny-Macdonald
Spurgeon-Sestito-Stortini

Grebeshkov-Gilbert
Strudwick-Roy
Young-Taylor

Roloson
Perugini

The list courtesy PDO via Dan Tencer. I like the lineup tonight, wish it was on TV (I don’t get CI because if I did leaving the house would be extremely unlikely) and am cheering for both Trukhno and Lerg.

I’m also please Bryan Young gets a chance and wonder if Perugini gets a chance to play. Love spring training!

125 Responses to "Oilers at Canucks, Pre-Season G2"

1. Bruce says:

LT: Nice pic. Anderson always did like home cooking, which in his case was likely to be caught by his father, Magnus, a fisherman by trade on the Sunshine Coast.

The Vancouver native used to tear it up in the Pacific Coliseum, didn’t he? He just loved playing those home games, and any time Glennie was enjoying the game the other guys always had their hands full.

2. doritogrande says:

Gregor over at your other site says Lerg didn’t make the trip, and that Huxley is in his place.

On an off-topic note: The Wings season just got a lot easier. They won’t have to play against Erik Johnson until probably after the new year. Poor bloke tore his ACL and MCL getting out of a damn golf cart.

3. Doogie2K says:

Poor bloke tore his ACL and MCL getting out of a damn golf cart.

Did he remember to stop first?

4. doritogrande says:

Dougie: he's 20 and golfing.

I'm surprised he didn't try and clear the sand trap.

Report from TSN said he was about to get out when he accidentally hit both gas and brake at the same time. Might actually miss the whole season.

5. doritogrande says:

Tonight's game appears to be offered live on the Oilers website.

6. T. says:

Dubnyk backing up Roli according to Tencer just now on the radio.

7. gary b says:

should be another fun match tonight. i think the kid line is gonna rip it up this year… hey, living in BC has it’s goo dpoints (SN Pacific).

tragic news about Jussi though. that’s tough.

8. PDO says:

Did he remember to stop first?

Apparently not…. his foot got stuck between the gas pedal and the brake.

Is this streaming? Anyone?

And LT the key to staying awake is to drink beer while watching this on the interweb :-)

9. doritogrande says:

pdo: drinking beer makes me sleepy.

Drinking redbull gives me wings.

It’s apparently being streamed online, as of about 45 minutes ago.

10. PDO says:

DG:

Your liver is clearly not well trained :D.

… I had a redbull before my workout at 5 ;).

11. doritogrande says:

Nope. She’s like an 07 Mazda. Lots of miles left in the tank. I expect yours is more similar to an 88 Crown Vic.

I’ve got the game streaming through the oilers website. Just waiting for 9 bells.

12. doritogrande says:

and just like that, I have video.

Fuck. It’s CanucksTV again. Guess this means another night of Taylor and Garet. Maybe tonight CHED will be in sync, and it’ll be a good night.

13. doritogrande says:

I’m more worried about that Grabner-Sedin-Hansen line than the Demitra-Hodgson-Bernier trio.

If Demitra thinks he’s going to be able to get more offense in the Vancouver system compared to Minnesota’s, he needs a CT scan.

14. Doogie2K says:

DG: Good point. When I was 18, I had my own golf-cart mishap, which I compounded by using rum to treat my wounds instead of rubbing alcohol. I still have the scars from that one.

(And yes, I see now that it was probably accidental. Still, it's a pretty ridiculous way to lose effectively an entire season.)

And yes, we have streaming! I'm assuming it's the Snet Pacific feed, since I'm currently watching a (terrible) Budget Brake & Muffler commercial.

15. doritogrande says:

Shit. Luongo forgot it’s preseason.

Nice chance there for McDOnald.

17. Traktor says:

Trukhno just got absolutely destroyed…. then gets back up and almost sets up a goal.

Gotta love that..

18. doritogrande says:

Nice cycle-job by the kids feat. Trukhno.

Gilbert with a nice pinch.

Oilers PP.

19. doritogrande says:

Wow that’s a weak goal. Horribly weak.

20. doritogrande says:

#43 in white with a clusterfuck at the own blueline.

Brodziak was drafted 214th or something. That final season in junior he took such a step forward.

22. doritogrande says:

poor decision by Grebeshkov on the PK leads to a canucks chance.

Wasn’t it Gilbert who made that errant pass?

24. doritogrande says:

Grebeshkov could have cleared the puck, instead he tries to rag an additional second off the clock before trying to fire it down the ice.

25. ClaytonMagnet says:

The puck’s sticking to Roli’s chest so far – good sign.

26. doritogrande says:

Did a single punch get thrown? That makes Stortini look like a boxer.

27. ClaytonMagnet says:

Huggy Bear must’ve been giving Huxley some pointers :(

28. Traktor says:

Matty Roy first guy in to stick up for teammates again.

29. T. says:

These commercials are BRUTAL!!

30. Slipper says:

I thought the Budget Brake and Muffler commercial was the worst I’d ever seen, until I saw that Moores advert.

31. doritogrande says:

that’s Roli bein’ Roli, I guess.

32. Slipper says:

Yeah! Dwayne-o’s busting out the bitch early this season.

33. doritogrande says:

would that error stat go against Young, or Nilsson?

34. doritogrande says:

Cogliano’s gotta get that off much earlier against NHL goalies. Great vision by Nilsson to set him up though.

35. Traktor says:

Nice to see Cogliano still finding the scoring lanes even if he didn’t score.

Sestito does little things well around the puck. Made a nice play on the PK hurrying the D and had an active stick there on the forecheck that forced a do-over for the Canucks when an Oiler line change was in order.

Nothing earth shattering, but interesting in a “he’s a smart player” kind of way.

37. doritogrande says:

The “Original” huggy-bear. Show em how it’s done Sasquatch.

38. ClaytonMagnet says:

…not to be outdone in the hugging department…

39. doritogrande says:

Brodziak showed up to play tonight. He wants that 3-line job bad.

Kyle freaking Brodziak. Is he getting better? He did this in junior you know, passes through the draft, then got picked a year after all the other kids and then blossomed.

Interesting player, he seems to have a little of the “Pete Rose” effort in him.

Nice shift by Trukhno. This is what Schremp has to worry about imo.

42. Traktor says:

Schremp just got passed by Trukhno.

Pouliot will be lucky if he becomes Brodziak.

43. boopronger says:

Geez what a beauty pass from Trukno.

44. T. says:

Jeez Trukhno almost dances out there. I really like that guy.

45. doritogrande says:

First period notes:

- The 12 and 13 cycled very well together at EV and the PP. Nilsson’s vision is making me wonder whether it’s he, and not Gagner that stirs the drink on that line.

- Trukhno is a talent. He knows to get into the shooting lanes, and has some Schremp-like wizardry with his passing game.

- Kyle Brodziak is a player. Just how high is his ceiling?

- Tonight’s top-pairing is having trouble co-ordinating. Here’s to hoping they can fix it fast.

- Huxley’s been taking lessons. Unfortunately he doesn’t have a good fisticuffs mentor in Edmonton.

- McDonald had some effective shifts bulling his way to the net, similar to what Brodziak’s doing.

- Potulny’s gripping the stick to tight. Missed on two decent opportunities.

- Roli hasn’t had to be spectacular by any stretch, but he’s getting the job done effectively.

- Team’s sticking up for the little guys. Too bad we’re taking penalties to do it.

46. namflashback says:

Brodziak had that flat stretch from about game 15 – 30 last year but had shown stuff like this in the first 14 and the last 50 games pretty consistently.

There is much made of the GlenX effect, but I remember savvy observers around these parts had seen Brodziak show stuff like this before. Dennis and I had commented that he would get/create a grade A chance like that split the D push he just did at least once a game. If your 4-line guy is doing that on an everygame basis — you can be pretty pleased.

I like the player. If he grows into it I wouldn’t mind seeing:

27-51-34 –3 line
    18-78-46 –4 line

That would make 2 lines that are pretty energy consuming to play against.

47. doritogrande says:

Did anyone else’s feed shut-off right as the period ended?

dorito: Yes. I think they turned off the intermission because they know it’s shitty. :-)

49. HBomb says:

namflashback: I’d flip the centers on those two lines based on Pouliot’s chemistry with Pisani and Brodziak having similar chemistry with Stortini, but yeah, that’s a nice bottom six.

50. PDO says:

According to Garret it’s a problem to have so many skilled guys in your lineup….

You know you’ve been a Canucks fan too long, when….

51. Traktor says:

HBOMB: Every player looks like they have chemistry with Pisani.

The gap between Brodziak and Pouliot is huge.

52. doritogrande says:

Holy hell did Bobby Nilsson get burned.

53. Quain says:

Not exactly a Grade A hip check by Nilsson.

54. Traktor says:

Error to Gilbert.

I was about to go apedoodle on an Oiler defender when I saw it was Nilsson.

Gilbert should have dumped that puck into the Canuck corner and gotten back in position, though.

56. trader says:

I agree LT…bad play by Gilbert

Brule is a fiesty prick.

58. grease trap says:

re Gilbert: When your position is secure, might as well try a few things in pre-season.

59. danny says:

ouch. 77 was terrible on that 2nd van goal… The entire shift.

60. Coach pb9617 says:

Interesting player, he seems to have a little of the “Pete Rose” effort in him.

Was this off the cuff or a serious comparison? If so, you have some really lofty thoughts on the kid and I’d be interested in this discussion.

61. trader says:

The more I watch Trukhno the more there is to like.
    Hats off to you LT as you have been singing his praises for some time now.

62. ClaytonMagnet says:

What a steal and pass there…

63. PDO says:

Truhkno is here to win a job.

64. doritogrande says:

Um, can we decline the icing, to let Sanford on the ice?

65. danny says:

that Bryan Young clearing attempt just really captures the evolution of this team from two years ago to today.

Nilsson, cogs and brule all look very impressive

66. doritogrande says:

Looks like Roli’s getting the whole game like Garon did yesterday.

67. Coach pb9617 says:

Truck and Creme Brulee are well seperated from Sugartits.

68. PDO says:

Coach:

Agree… but the entire Brule line (Mcdonald/Potulny) has been fantastic. All three of them drive possession north and get a SOG every shift….

69. doritogrande says:

coach: I don’t want to compare Brule to Schremp. They aren’t fighting for the same job classification.

Marc Pouliot however, should be shitting bricks.

coach: Yeah, I’m serious. I’m not saying he’s going to be an All-Star every year but he clearly works like a bugger and is very focused on success. If you track his career from:

1. Not being drafted.
    2. Having a much better year and then getting picked late.
    3. Blossoming to the point that his final year of junior he’d added real offense.
    4. Started slowly in the minors, not putting up much in terms of numbers.
    5. Working very hard over a period of years in the minors.
    6. Becoming an “overnight sensation” after a lot of minor league time.

I’d say there’s some Pete Rose in there. Rose for my purposes would be described as a player whose career was way beyond his actual level of talent.

Brodziak fits.

71. B.C.B. says:

Strudwick is playing real well. . . nothing fancy and has been a part of any staple’s errors (to my eyes), been physical- I like the way he and Roy been playing. Strudwick will be pushing Smid

I hope to see him fight

72. ClaytonMagnet says:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

Is it too late to sign Big George?

73. B.C.B. says:

Who is taylor Lowetide?
    I can’t figure it out, and I am sure you know

74. ClaytonMagnet says:

Was that a hook, or am I looking at that with homer eyes?

75. Coach pb9617 says:

That’s precisely why I perked up when I read the comp.

I knew you weren’t talking about all-star potential, but a guy with a work ethic and on-field ethic that drove him well beyond his actual talent level.

And I’m still a little shocked that I read it. Happy, but shocked.

76. doritogrande says:

clayton: I saw that hook too. If he was free, Nilsson would have gotten that pass sooner, and buried it.

Jake Taylor, 25: Taylor signed a two-year AHL contract with Springfield, and their GM Bruce Landon said “Jake is a big, strong, physical defenseman who has the reputation of being tough to play against.” I assume he’s an AHL only option but Taylor does have over 200 games of AHL experience at a fairly young age. 6-4, 225. Chances of Making the Oilers: Zero.

78. B.C.B. says:

Thanks LT. . . I can’t remember everything you say/type. If I did my friends would think I was the coolest, but I am sure my girlfriend would less impressed.
    Your knowledge (and how you navigate your own site) is impressive.

BCB: Have teenagers who take all your spending money, a limited budget they don’t know about and a completely unhealthy love of beer and you too can have a blog like mine. :-)

80. ClaytonMagnet says:

Wow Roli saving the bacon there…

81. doritogrande says:

Well, Roloson’s in mid-season form.

Our powerplay’s a different story.

82. Showerhead says:

Gotta keep that puck in Grebs.

Gilbert’s shift was something of a clusterfuck.

A huge part of how well Edmonton does this season is determined by at least one of these two guys being solid top 4 D-men. I know it’s early but both have short term track records and in Gilbert’s case especially Edmonton made a huge bet on the come.

83. B.C.B. says:

I love crazy goalies. I hope Roli’s hornet in his pants stays and he really challanges Garon

84. PunjabiOil says:

I usually have negligible interest in pre-season. Sure I’ll read the stories, check the scores – but really have no passion to watch the meaningless games. They’re a cold harsh reminder that the regular season is still a way away.

Showerhead: I think they’ll both be fine. They’re both making silly mistakes tonight but it’s very early on.

If they’re making these mistakes in their 5th pre-season game then there’s concern imo.

86. ClaytonMagnet says:

LT – WTF, it’s 10:08???

87. PDO says:

LT, I’m working on a blog post, and I swear I didn’t steal anything from you in regards to 5th game…. :)

88. danny says:

Gilbert is in late season form… And that’s not a compliment to the guy who looked like janne spaz niinimaa for the final 25-30 games.

Grebs has looked decent.

Gilbert needs to get some of his cool back.

Clayton: Don’t worry, I’m nodding off.

PDO: I believe you.

90. doritogrande says:

Much better work from the young kids today. The likes of Sestito, Huxley, Trukhno, Eberle are still getting minutes in the third.

Ryan O’Marra yesterday, different story.

91. danny says:

quit yer belly achin’

It’s 1:49 am here in NL

Frickin’ Newfoundlanders. DO YOU EVER SLEEP?

93. Bruce says:

Finally tuned in to the webcast, been listening on the radio up ’til now. Glad to hear John Garrett is still doing Canucks games, I was worried he might wind up back in Edmonton with the latest personnel shuffle. He’s terrible. I’ve watched one sequence and already Garrett is way out to lunch.

Oilers made a good play, a long breakout pass to Stortini just over centre. Zack neutralized icing by getting his stick on the puck and redirecting it into the corner, then busted ass after it and won possession with a strong forecheck.

So Garrett showed the very first part of the replay, talked about Vancouver’s successful trap in which the Oilers “couldn’t make a good pass and turned the puck over.”

Looks like Oilers will tie it on a shortie. I call Brodziak.

95. doritogrande says:

Lack of NHL players. No big loss.

Roloson was very solid. In the same area code as Luongo tonight, and feasibly that’s all we can ask him to be.

Trukhno and Brule were the best Oilers tonight. Schremp and Pouliot better be scared.

Did anyone else hear from Potulny starting the 3rd? I didn’t.

A few things to like tonight imo. Trukhno showed well, Brodziak looks really good, like an NHL player and that’s one more the Oildrop have to start the year.

Roy did some nice things, Strudwick too. The Oilers have some nice depth back there.

Sleep well!

97. danny says:

even at 0-2, i’veliked a lot of what I’ve seen this far. The kids are flying, which should enable mact a bit of leeway in his matchups.

I think brule will win the 4th line spot, soon thereafter be adopted and legally change his name to mactavish.

Goodnight Alberta :)

98. Bruce says:

DG: thing is, it’s both of them. Both are creative playmakers with elite passing skills who like to get the puck to the goal mouth in a hurry. Fortunately, Cogliano generally arrives at the goal mouth in a similar hurry. As I concluded in a discussion over at (shameless plug alert) Oil Droppings today, these guys play what I consider Oiler Hockey (TM). They’re fun to watch.

99. Bruce says:

This is perfect, Canuck fans will be bragging about how they swept the Oilers and planning the parade route, while those of us who have won before :) know that September is who-gives-a-flying-fuck season. Vancouver got the same zero points for the last two nights that we got.

Bragging rights, shagging rights (or something like that).

100. PDO says:

If Bruce is throwing out shameless plugs, I’ll point out I have stream of consciousness on Punjabs… which we’re still trying to figure out a new name for :D

101. Lord Bob says:

I’ve written absolutely nothing on the South Smythian Rolo-Gator. READ IT NOW!

Also, pdo: I suggest naming your blog in a way to lure visitors meant for other blogs. Suggestions include “High Tide”, “Battle in Alberta”, and “Irrelevant Oiler Fans”.

102. PDO says:

Bob:

You mean relevant?

Other wise pure gold ;)

103. Ribs says:

…was worried he might wind up back in Edmonton with the latest personnel shuffle.

Who’d we end up with by the way? Is it Big Louie DeBrusk? I was hoping for Ron Low…

104. rickibear says:

“thing is, it’s both of them. Both are creative playmakers with elite passing skills who like to get the puck to the goal mouth in a hurry.”

Bruce I knew you see (EV 1 Asst/60)Hemsky(1.35), Nilsson(1.15), and Gagner(1.04) the same way.

I am of the belief that these three men should be on three seperate lines with these three centers (Goal+1Asst/60): Horcoff(1.89), Brodziak(1.87), and Cogliano(1.56).

The other three wing positions filed with the next best scoring options (Ev Goals/60).Penner(.90), Pisani(.82), and Cole(.72).

The bottom of the roster is going to be an interesting fill. Can’t wait to see the last three games after they have cleared the bodies and run some work with the final options.

105. Doogie2K says:

Or you could do absolutely no self-promotion, like I did. ;)

(visit my site)

I missed all but about ten minutes of the first, but what I saw wasn’t particularly entertaining or impressive. Yeah, I know, preseason, but both goals were weird, the fight was lame, and there were a bunch of times where the play died where it really needn’t have (example: first or second shift, Nilsson puts a brilliant pass on a Vancouver stick). At least the PP looked okay the first couple of times it went; seems like it got worse as the night wore on, judging from the comments/results. Also, I see from Mirtle’s site that they’re back on the phantom-hook bandwagon. I guess if we have a decent PP that’s to our advantage, but I’d still rather jab rusty nails through my eyes and into my brain, if it’s all the same to you, Messrs. Bettman and Walkom.

(visit my site)

Anyway, I guess it’s just a matter of working the kinks out, though I do wonder if many of the guys, particularly the older ones, are a bit distracted with Jussi’s news. It’s something Horcoff commented on already, and especially during something silly like the preseason, it’s easy to see how the family men might be more concerned with how their kids are doing, at least for a day or two.

(visit my site)

@Rickibear: The idea of putting the lines together based on balance over role is interesting (and advocated by blogmate Ender), but I think for that to work, the kids need a bit more experience against tough opposition, since I would suspect that the operating assumption here is that it really doesn’t matter who you match against whom, which doesn’t entirely work with youngsters. It’s definitely an idea to build towards, though, since it’d give MacT more flexibility, and I like the idea of the offence coming in waves — you can’t hide forever. ;)

(visit my site)

106. Coach pb9617 says:

Yes they are. It’s call “last guy in”.

And Schremp is trailing by a large margin at this point. He’s going to need some pollsters in Ohio to save him now.

107. HBomb says:

doritogrande: PP not in midseason form? Wouldn’t history dictate that the PP going 0-for-whatever IS midseason form?

The gap between Brodziak and Pouliot is huge.

Traktor: all due respect, I completey disagree with this statement. I think they’re almost identical and Pouliot takes a lot more crap due to his status as a former 1st rounder. The expectations, naturally (and perhaps correctly), are much higher for him.

108. Coach pb9617 says:

Ricki, so you’re suggesting:

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Nilsson – Brodziak – Pisani
    Gagner – Cogliano – Cole

That last line there makes a guy smile. I’m picturing an old-time war movie with a three Japanese Zeroes buzzing around.

109. goldenchild says:

I was at the game, a couple of things.

1. I think MacT will turn Brule into an NHLer, he prob won’t make the team out of camp but he will be an Oiler at some point. they need a guy who plays with some sandpaper.

2. Of the non NHLers I thought Trukno really stood out, first time I have seen him, looked really strong.

3. Kenta’s son has some magical hands, sees things that few do.

4. Rolie is one ornery fuck, its Sept 23, 2nd pre season game and it took him about 6 mins in to deliver his 1st punch. Thought he played well.

5. Who is this jerk off Spurgeon wearing 66? How you gonna be a nobody and wear 66?

110. Doogie2K says:

To be fair, odds are he was tossed a pinny with a 66 on it his first day of camp and that was that. I wouldn’t take any significance out of training-camp numbers. If he’s been told to get an apartment in Edmonton (or wherever) and he still wears 66, no, that’s probably not cool, but when the games don’t count, I don’t think it’s that important.

111. Schitzo says:

Here’s something I was wondering – if Cole is comfortable on the RW, and Penner is usually a LW, why don’t we switch those two back?

Penner-Horc-Hemsky will work, and I think that Moreau-Pisani-Cole would be awfully unpleasant to have to play against.

112. Coach pb9617 says:

Awcomeon. It’s not like this is 42 or something. Who cares if he wears it?

113. Traktor says:

hbomb: Pouliot is to Brodziak as Schremp is to Nilsson. If Pouliot is lucky he will have a season like Brodziak last year. I think Pouliot’s upside is a Marty Reasoner. Brodziak I think has much higher upside. 55-60 point 2 way force. If you want something in this life you have to work for it. I know Brodziak will be working for it. Pouliot? I don’t see the hunger.

114. HBomb says:

Now I like Brodziak and all, but that’s a pretty glowing review of his upside. When it comes to upside, Pouliot’s the guy with the raw potential for 2nd line duty someday.

But as you correctly mention, Brodziak’s got him licked at this point in terms of effort. Pouliot’s not chopped-liver by any means, however – the guy is an NHLer at this point in my books. How he fits into this lineup is anyone’s guess.

After last night’s game, he might be the 13th forward – based on the guy’s skill set, Brule might be the guy making a push for the 4LW spot on this team alongside 51 and 46…..

115. Traktor says:

Can Pouliot play in a top 6 scoring role? No.

Is Pouliot a fighter/banger/energy player? No.

Is Pouliot even as good as Bryan Smolinski who could be signed without giving up any assets? No.

Is Pouliot as good as an avergae 3rd line C that could be had for a 3rd round pick? No.

Does Pouliot have the upside that he is worth developing over better veteran options? Not imo.

He might grab that 13th forward spot but it won’t be because he earned it. It will because some of the others can be sent down to the AHL.

I think Brule is probably the best fit on that 4th line.

116. Bruce says:

(visit my site)

D2K: You’re getting there, but you still have to name drop. Let me demonstrate …

Over at Ice Droppings there’s been an interesting conversation about line combinations (under the header “MacOmelette”). Kind of an automatic topic every September, which is probably the only time we can fantasize about what our team might really look like if only it were healthy. :)

The logic of a Penner-for-Cole switch was discussed in the comments section. I for one don’t like the idea of both Pisani and Penner learning new positions on the same “checking” line: that’s a recipe for occasional-but-deadly blown zone coverage IMO. I’d rather have Cole’s speed for the counter attack, and Penner’s offensive zone presence on a line with two guys driving the play in that direction. If Erik expects to lead the rush on the Hemsky line he’ll be dragging his leg on the blue line a lot, whereas Dustin already knows that when it comes to playing with Ales, patience is a virtue: the puck is much more likely to arrive late than early.

That such a switch would return both to their preferred position is a bonus.

And all that said, it may take about two shifts of seeing Cole up front with the big boys to change my mind. Until they actually try it, who knows?

117. Asiaoil says:

At this point – and it is early guys – I’d be happy having both Brule and MAP on the roster rotating in the PB/4th line until injuries happen. Both of these guys can make a contribution to the bottom 6 that Schremp simply cannot. If someone wants to give us a 2nd round pick for sugartits at this point I’d be taking it and move on – not every pick works out or fits.

118. Lord Bob says:

Is Pouliot as good as Smolinski today? No.

Are we going to win the Stanley Cup this year no matter who our third line centre is? No.

119. Traktor says:

“Should be be retarding Pouliot’s development further in favour of a brief rental in a year we don’t really have a shot anyway? You tell me.”

I answered that: Does Pouliot have the upside that he is worth developing over better veteran options? Not imo

I’m not worried about losing a potential 3rd line player. Especially one who thinks he is too good for the role.

If it’s Smid vs vet defensemen then it’s a different story. I just don’t think Pouliot is worth developing when Pouliot 3 years from now is available for a 3rd round pick or free on the open market right now.

120. rickibear says:

“If Pouliot is lucky he will have a season like Brodziak last year. I think Pouliot’s upside is a Marty Reasoner. Brodziak I think has much higher upside. 55-60 point 2 way force.”

Pouliot had 1G 6A +6 in 155:12 EV TOI over the last 15 Games. A 2.31 assits/60 pace and 1.38 1asst/60. An interesting tease at the end of the year. If he maintains that this year he and Moreau would be productive with 8-9 EV min a night.

Brodziak deserves legit linemates at EV playing 11-13min a night. He would be a 16G 24A guy with those ev min.

121. Dennis says:

This thread’s probably about to go cold but just throwing a few things about about last night’s game and some other stuff:

- not sure what it means for the longview but I have doubts whether 18′s anything more than a 4th liner and PKer these days. He’d be an expensive one at that and he’s the captain and blah blah blah blah. And this isn’t a pimp for 51 to take the third line spot — people seem to forget that his GAON/60 isn’t great — it’s just that when we’re looking longterm or perhaps even halfway through this season, I don’t know if 18 Should be in cement.

- 51 is certainly ahead of 78 in terms of offensive skill; no question about it. He did look faster last night and his play looked elevated when considering both the quality of his competition and his linemates. He had a knack early on for creating scoring chances and I think that will continue.

- Brule looks like a sparkplug and last night he had a couple of Tootoo-esque shifts and I say that in a complimentry way. I said this earlier yesterday but if we’re looking for the type of player that made the Brodtini duo go last year — in that case it was Glencross — Brule comes closer to replicating that skillset rather than 78. I guess the question is do you want to give him an NHL job as a plugger and hope he shows the hands at this level OR do you send him to the A and put him in scoring mode with first line time and PP privileges?

- Truk just looks solid and he can take a hit and he’s got vision and he could be a help.

You know, I’ve been a Gilbert fan since Day One and I’m not totally drawing a comparison with Conklin but I never did draw any connections with Ex games and the real play until I saw Ty play the last Ex game in the ’06 season. He looked rusty and off and then he was bad that year and ever since that I’ve always wondered what the deal is between training camp performance and how ready you are. I know LT had a post on Cogs and what his Ex totals meant and I still like Gilbert but man did he look bad last night.

He looked bad in the sense that he has a full year under his belt, bad in the sense that he was so fucking good in the first half of last year, bad in the sense that he’s going to be leaned on at EV and bad in the sense of that contract.

Sure, it’s just one game but some of the things he did, it just drove home the point that was first made by perhaps me and then seconded by Vic: some of the young skill will have to be dealt for a true EV Dman if we’re going to be ready to win.

I found last night’s game boring and not all that engrossing; but in a different way than the opening game on Mon.

Monday saw a lot of vets playing but there was a lot of sloppy play but at least you knew the numbers. Last night was like watching a bunch of linebackers out there.

122. Doogie2K says:

You’re getting there, but you still have to name drop.

Ahhh, I see. Next time, then. Next time.

*steeples hands*
    *leans back in chair*
    *falls over*

123. Bruce says:

I never did draw any connections with Ex games and the real play until I saw Ty play the last Ex game in the ’06 season.He looked rusty and off and then he was bad that year

Dennis: I went to Conklin’s first exhibition game in ’05-06, and I was scared right away. He let in two bad goals in the first 80 seconds to a couple guys named Vojtech Polak and Matt Nickerson, and looked Nothing like the guy who had outplayed Salo in ’03-04 and everything like a guy who was totally in over his head as the presumed No. 1. The lockout didn’t help in his particular case, but you’re right sometimes guys just aren’t in the right head space right from Day One.

It’s one thing if it’s a veteran pacing himself through camp, but these younger guys don’t necessarily catch up for awhile. (Think: Smid last year, or Pouliot every year.)

124. Dennis says:

Baseball’s got a longer Ex season so that means more AB’s and a bigger sample size to judge come the last week of March when the final cuts were made; plus, the steady vets would always start to pick it up at the season drew closer.

I know there’d be a few guys who’d show up to camp and hadn’t stepped in a cage all winter and would be a second late on fastballs during the first week of March. But, as I said, these guys had the time to catch up.

But this is hockey and the Oil are playing just seven games and to me it just looked like second half Gilbert and not a guy who could be counted on for 2nd EV duty.

125. zh01 says:

最新的深圳市房地产北京翻译公司了。深圳翻译公司搜索巨头谷歌、俄语翻译
    韩语翻译广州同声传译上个月成交量放大广州翻译公司上海翻译公司。,德语翻译,,但这种趋势能否持续,还令深圳各界忧虑。商务口译,料就在昨日下午稍晚时间,同传设备已经说明一切。翻译是一门严谨不容践踏的语言文化。同声传译,凡购买中国移动手机充值卡深圳同声传译翻译部署促进房地产市场健康发展措施出台,深圳翻译.深圳英语翻译 ,无需制作炫丽的界面和复杂的操作功能深圳日语翻译,中国移动后台词库和网络搜索资源来获得。一时间采访的开发商、地产中介、银行 广州翻译公司,用户的体验不能停留同声传译一扫而光”,接受本报广州翻译公司,韩语翻译的今天,同声传译偶尔会和翻译公司东莞翻译公司。在线翻译工具。法语翻译同声传译设备租赁,是会议设备租赁,一项调查显示法语翻译几乎将深圳地产的阴霾情绪同声传译设备租赁,是会议设备租赁深圳手机号码网,深圳手机靓号,有的用户同传设备出租会议同传系统租赁1—11月份报告昨日公布选择在线翻译会议设备租赁乘坐和所有客户一起分享奥运来临的喜悦。新疆租车,奥运喜充天”活动更多的是通过线翻译同声传译