Oilers Official Training Camp Roster 2008

This week the Oilers released their TC roster. Sadly, there were no really good surprises. I always like to look for names like Anson Carter (a year ago), Esa Tikkanen (several years back), guys who are trying to hang on with an NHL team for one final go.

Graig Nettles as an Expo, that kind of thing.

Those player types may be added (there are still interesting free agent names available) but for now we’re left with the names we expected and a bunch of big men who may or may not be able to keep up at this level.

Read more here.

19 Responses to "Oilers Official Training Camp Roster 2008"

1. Doogie2K says:

I’m willing to bet that Hans Benson’s nickname is not “The Wizard of Menlo Park.”

Also, I should know this already, but Ryan Huddy is Charlie’s boy, right?

2. Dennis says:

Nice catch by Guy on the exact language of the new JFJ pact. Intially, this would lead one to think he’s gonna be sent down for sure because his waiver ineligibility combined with Schremp’s new found penchant for caring would give young Rob a crack to nail the last spot.

But, if JFJ’s willing to play the ruffian than I still say he gets the regular job out of the gate.

3. namflashback says:

Deslaurier taking up one of the extra roster spots is really inconvenient right now.

Bad asset management or not, Syvret wasn’t going to continue — i.e. a guy of similar skill could be had on an AHL only contract. So getting Potulny — another fringer — was gravy — and if lost to waivers, I don’t see it as a terrible waste.

4. jon k says:

The one guy who is 6-0 and 253 pounds? Jesus.

Anyway, you are partially correct about the LNAH. It’s basically a glorified Quebecois beer league where there are routinely 5 fights each game. I wouldn’t count on the guy being able to skate.

5. Peter Lynn says:

Sean McMorrow must be able to skate well enough to be a late-round draft by the Sabres, because he was. He doesn’t look much like Jon Voight, though, being black.

Oh Jesus! You’re kidding me? Can we PLEASE nickname him the black Jon Voight? Please?

7. trader says:

LT do you have a link to Guy’s comments regarding no waivers needed for JFJ?

8. spOILer says:

Ales is already in the locker room waitin for everyone to show up?

I could see Potulny making it, if they’re looking for a shooter at 4LW.

But JFJ would be my choice. We already know he has the tools to play in the Show, but does he have the nerve and the noodle to use them?

trader:

It’s on his blog and a few places on HF.

Guy says:

CONTRACT POLITICS – Who’s contract situation is most likely to help his cause of staying in or making the NHL?

1. Potulny – needs waivers to go down
    2. the rest of them are waiver exempt and can be reassigned freely… although Brule is just 12 NHL games away from crossing that line.

It’s in here:

He also says:

Although drafted the same year as Marc Pouliot, Jacques has not played enough NHL games where he would have to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL (According to Assistant GM Rick Olczyk). Being waiver exempt gives the Oilers an out to settle any close roster battle and they can use the excuse of wanting to give Jacques playing time to regain his form after the injuries.

And that quote is here:

10. spOILer says:

Hmmm… no mention of locker room boss Big Joe Moss on that list.

I noticed that too. I have last year’s and was going to check but haven’t had time to find it.

12. trader says:

Thanks for the links LT, you are the MAN!!!

13. HBomb says:

Slightly off-topic, but in the area of needing to “stabilize the blueline”, could this guy be the solution if the Sharks wanted to, ahem, “dance”?

I bet they would have liked to get their hands on Torres once upon a time, but he’s obviously not an option now. What would it take to maybe make something go?

And no LT, don’t say Smid. Schremp plus something?

Well if Smid isn’t part of the package then the Oilers should just stand pat. Making the playoffs becomes secondary and you’re spending a third season developing the young man.

Which is cool, he’s got lots of nice things going on. But we need to be honest about it and if the Oilers are going to get this guy from San Jose AND keep Smid in the lineup then we’re benching one of:

1. Souray
    2. Visnovsky
    3. Gilbert
    4. Staios
    5. Grebeshkov

I’d rather just keep those guys and wait until next summer when the Oilers are serious about winning (or Smid has developed to the point where he’s reliable).

Excellent article by Matheson in today’s Journal the echoes a lot of things I said earlier this summer about him. Good young player, Oilers may need to make a decision on him if he hasn’t improved.

15. HBomb says:

Lowetide: I raise the point again – why not look at dealing Grebeshkov?

The fact is that he’s not that far ahead of Smid on the curve (he was not good for a large chunk of last season), AND he’s an obvious KHL flight risk.

Might be the smart move to cash out on that asset right now and use it to fill a need for some experience. Because if Grebeshkov is going to be asking for a long term deal, I would be awfully careful about dollars and length if I were a GM. Those Russians have a tendency to become complacent, so my personal stance would be nothing longer than a two year deal at any point, unless we’re talking a Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Frolov or Zubov (in other words, super-elite).

16. Schitzo says:

I would love to know how Jacques is not required to go through waivers this year – the CBA is very explicit, you’ve got 3 years or 160 NHL games, whatever comes first. Hell, s. 13 even has this as an example:

(c) A 20 year old Player who plays in one or more Professional Games in the 2005-06 season will be exempt from Regular and Re-Entry Waivers as follows:
    Season Regular Waivers/Re-Entry Waivers
    05-06 Exempt
    06-07 Exempt
    07-08 Exempt
    08-09 Eligible
    Note: Once a 20 year old Player has played in his 160th NHL Game, he will immediately
    become eligible for Regular and Re-Entry Waivers.

I’ve been looking for any sort of exception for injuries, but it seems pretty explicit: Your waiver eligibility starts when you leave junior.
    Now, he did play 6 pro games in 04/05, I’m assuming after his junior season ended, but how on earth would starting early extend his waiver eligibility?

17. oilerdiehard says:

peter lynn – Sean McMorrow must be able to skate well enough to be a late-round draft by the Sabres, because he was.

I posted this in the OilersNation thread as well. But I might as well put it in here as well:

There are You Tube videos of Boogards fights in the AHL floating around. McMorrow took on Boogard twice.

In one I would either call it a saw-off or slight advantage McMorrow. The other is about even with Boogard getting the best of the first half and then ending with about 4 or 5 unanswered punches from McMorrow and momentum takes them to the ice and the refs jump in.

In both fights at certain points McMorrow believe it or not pretty much controls and rag dolls Boogard around.