Panthers at Oilers, Pre-Season G3: Riesen to Believe Update

I did one of these 10 days ago and will do another one before the end of the week.

Idea being it’s fun to guess at the final roster spot based on performance, comments by the coach and injuries.

The big mover in the last 10 days up front has been Brule, with Smid’s solid performance this week improving his cause.

Forwards

Horcoff, Hemsky, Penner, Cole, Gagner, Nilsson, Brodziak, Cogliano, Pisani and Stortini are all at 100%. That’s 10 of the 13 (or 14) slots up front. Here’s the rest:

1. Pouliot 95% (could be traded)
  2. Moreau 95% (injury risk)
  3. Schremp 50%
  4. Brule 50%
  5. Potulny 41%
  6. Reddox 10%
  7. Lerg 5%
  8. Trukhno 3%
  9. Sestito 1%

Defense

Souray, Staios, Visnovsky, Gilbert and Grebeshkov are all at 100%. Here are the rest:

1. Smid 94% (could be traded)
  2. Strudwick 90%
  3. Roy 11%
  4. Peckham 5%
  5. Bisaillon 1% (new)

Goalies

1. Garon 100%
  2. Roloson 85% (could be traded)
  3. Deslauriers 64%

144 Responses to "Panthers at Oilers, Pre-Season G3: Riesen to Believe Update"

1. Jonathan says:

The way he’s played so far, I have to think that Colin McDonald is worth a 1% shot at forward.

2. Jonathan says:

Also, the way he’s played so far, I think Reddox is below Lerg and Trukhno right now too.

McDonald’s chances are tied to Pouliot’s imo. He’s not going to be in the LW sweepstakes (Schremp, Brule, Reddox, Trukhno) and until one of the two frontrunners grabs the job they have a stronger chance.

Lerg is a guy I like a lot but he hasn’t played a game yet so it’s hard to elevate him past anyone.

4. Jonathan says:

But Reddox has, and he doesn’t look good so far, at least to my eye.

Has McDonald actually hit the net?

6. Dennis says:

Schremp’s already had some minor league success so I’d keep him up and bring him in out of the bullpen for a few spotstarts — think Gil Heredia — and I’d put Brule back down in Triple A so he can learn an off-speed pitch to go along with his fastball and slider.

Dennis: For me it’s such an interesting contest between Brule and Schremp.

Brule has all kinds of interesting little things going on and one suspects he’ll be in the NHL at some point this season, but it is certainly Schremp’s turn.

Can he pop 2 goals tonight? 3 assists? I think if he has a big game here this week the talk of Brule making the team will die down.

Is tonight the night?

8. kinger says:

RE: Brule.

I definitely ‘saw him good’ last night. By my eye he was pretty much Torres + agility and stick handling. Potentially a great addition to this year’s club.

Did anyone else notice the Torres-like quick short strides before he throws a hit. That in particular stuck out to me like a sore thumb.

@Dennis:

I’ll just copy and paste what I wrote in the comment section over at blog.

“I’ve always been a BPA guy (my fantasy hocking drafting record reads as such) so I lean towards keeping Brule up on the big squad. I’m not convinced of the logic that sending him down the minors will be good for his confidence or his game. I’ve heard him in a couple interviews and he gave me the impression that he’s not exactly thrilled with the prospect of getting sent down to Springfield. Sure, sending him down to rediscover his offensive game sounds good, but what if it has the opposite effect (crushes his fragile confidence and eliminates the positive effects of the ‘change of scenery’).

In the likely scenario that we have an injury in the top 6 (Regehr, meet Hemsky), Brule will have ample opportunity to move up from the Stortini-Brodziak line into a more prominent role. Also, as we saw late last year, Brodziak has a lot more to his game than just grinding. I can see Brule getting his confidence back by playing a Glencross-like role just as easily as I can see him getting it back beating up on AHL scrubs. However, in the former scenario there is no risk of negative reaction from a demotion to the minors (for the first time in his career).”

9. kinger says:

The game is available online via the Oilers site.

10. B.C.B. says:

Why does the Oilers only show their live streaming in the Prairie Region?
    It is like they hate us, out east. It does not hurt their gate, since we don’t live in town. we can help drive up their tv ratings and I believe the NHL is a TV and corperation driven league (or they wouldn’t say no to more canadian teams in strong markets). Please Nichols and Klowe: we love the oil, just like us back and put the preseason games in all regions

11. doritogrande says:

“Has McDonald actually hit the net?”

Yeah, he was the poor bloke who was absolutely robbed by Jesus in the opening period yesterday.

12. doritogrande says:

“Pointless”

It’s written on the palm of my hand.

13. doritogrande says:

Anyone else’s feed incredibly choppy?

14. honkey says:

I got picture but no sound on that feed.

15. Kara says:

My Oilers feed suddenly began although I’m in Northern Ontario. Sound and video working fine now, bit choppy at beginning.

Choppy feed. Paul Loreau looks much better this season, though.

17. doritogrande says:

I don’t even think I can watch this. The quality is so terrible.

18. doritogrande says:

Deslauriers looks to be fighting nerves something fierce.

Was that a good shot or a bad goalie?

20. doritogrande says:

I miss CanucksTV. Taylor and Garrett were easier to handle than this shit feed.

21. doritogrande says:

FINALLY! An Oiler than can fight. Attaboy Theo!

22. kinger says:

Feed seems a lot better after what seemed like a restart.

23. doritogrande says:

kinger: Yeah. I noticed that too. Thankfully.

24. ClaytonMagnet says:

Feed not working at all for me. I get some British guy telling me the URL is invalid…

25. doritogrande says:

Wish I could’ve seen that “great save by Deslauriers.” Thanks OilersTV.

26. B.C.B. says:

Well the feed doesn’t work in southern Onterrible. I m going back to write scholarship proposal: I finally found something more frustrating then writing SSHRC applications, trying to watch oiler’s games online (see previous irrational posts)

27. honkey says:

The feed might be better but the Oilers play is getting worse by the minute :)

28. doritogrande says:

Christ. Deslauriers must be thinking he’s back in Springfield considering how much rubber he’s faced already.

Anyone else seeing a Tim Thomas sized clusterfuck in the crease tonight from the big man?

Oilers are doing a lovely impersonation of the 74-75 Capitals. Lordy.

Deslaurier’s SP must be .970.

30. Ofer says:

BCB:

The feed works for me in Southern Ontario.

The only reason that the Vancouver games weren’t available on the online feed is because they were available on NHL CI.

Tonight’s game isn’t on Centre Ice so we get the online stream. The Oilers aren’t trying to “hate” us in the east, they simply weren’t allowed to show the game to us last night.

31. honkey says:

At least JDD is getting a good workout.

32. doritogrande says:

Visnovsky’s not impressing me tonight at all. I counted 3 turnovers by him within 10 seconds.

33. Quain says:

Oh, I’ve missed Hemsky to Horcoff.

34. kinger says:

Scorecoff

35. B.C.B. says:

ofer: I watched half of the feed last night . . . but tonight it is not working. maybe they don’t hate us but for christ sakes you think they would make it easier. I’ll check again later.

You would think for someone in grad school my grammar on posts would be better.

36. doritogrande says:

I like Penner out there better than Cole. We don’t need a 5th shooter on that powerplay line, we need someone to plonk his royal ass in front of the goalie.

Nice to see the Oilers figured out that Souray was going to be covered and took the play down low.

That powerplay is going to have to hum this season. Having said that, they have some guns out there.

dorito: I’m still convinced Penner will end up with Horcoff and Hemsky. Cole plays with Pisani and one of Brodziak, Cogliano or Pouliot.

It just makes the roster so much more dangerous.

39. kinger says:

Woot Pelts!!!

wait a second…

Rookie defensemen. Hockey’s base on balls.

41. doritogrande says:

Don’t think Deslauriers had much of a chance on that goal. He’s played about to the level I thought he would.

42. Paulus says:

Captain Moreau is having a nice game, I see. Also, I find it amusing that Florida has their own Mr. Glass in the lineup.

“Rookie defensemen. Hockey’s base on balls.”

Right on, LT. I’ve always thought of a powerplay as a lead-off double.

43. Schitzo says:

Woot, Reddox for 4LW!

44. kinger says:

Real nice pass by Schremp.

45. doritogrande says:

Great pass from Schremp.

46. Quain says:

Oh, that’s why people like Schremp.

47. doritogrande says:

What the hell is a “European big man”. Does that mean 27′s soft?

48. Schitzo says:

Dorito: I assume it has something to do with his rippling, waxed chest.

Schremp with a nice pass there for a point blank shot and then Reddox with the goal. Assist for Schremp and well deserved.

Good for him.

50. kinger says:

Cody Wild just showed off some pretty nice hands.

51. Schitzo says:

Damn, great work by Penner. Good to see him looking interested

52. doritogrande says:

How’re we still on the powerplay?

Lefevbre is the most dangerous player on the ice.

To everyone.

54. doritogrande says:

Playing Cyprus Hill to give out free “munchies”

On the pun’s not lost on me.

55. Schitzo says:

That was House of Pain, you idiot :D

56. doritogrande says:

Some real cuties in the stands tonight.

57. Paulus says:

Holy crap, Lefebvre…

58. kinger says:

Poor Mr. Glass.

59. doritogrande says:

Lefevbre for 4th line.

Instantly.

60. Schitzo says:

68 concurs. It IS a house of pain.

Well there goes Jacques job. :-)

62. Dennis says:

My connection is shitty so there’s no way I’d be able to sensibly watch a live feed.

So, a few thoughts while you guys are checking out the action:

Kinger on Brule — I made the Tootoo comparisons early on when it comes to hitting but your Torres point is bang-on as well. BTW, looks like Torres could be playing on a line with Peca and Chimera this year. CBJ and Chi are two teams I’ll try and watch when the Oilers aren’t on.

Scremp vs Brule: I’d keep Rob up as well. Seriously, what else can he do in the A? I guess he could score at EV;) but you know what I mean. I’d keep him up and show him how the pros eat, train, prepare and live and see if he can get a little something going when he gets the occasional call. I still think he’s in the wrong place at the right time but if he’s working hard and keeping his mouth shut then that plus two years exp. in the A entitles him to the 13th spot, at least IMO.

First unit PP — can we get some numbers how how the PP trio od 27-89-83 made out? I seriously like that more than the current 26-10-83 troika. Are there any numbers that support my theory?

63. rickibear says:

Moreau-Pisani-Penner When penner is leading your line out of the zone consistently. Not good. Split them up.

64. Schitzo says:

Did anyone else notice Lubo pick up the puck deep on the PK and skate it out himself? Goddamn, he’s just so smooth out there.

65. Coach pb9617 says:

Which is why LT [and I] is correct: Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky will be reunited. San Fernando and Cole will play together with either Brule, Pouliot, Brodziak or Sugartits.

66. kinger says:

Dennis said…

MacT is running 27-10-83 tonight and Penner is doing a better job in front of the net. His screen played a part in the Horcoff goal. It looks to me like the unit as a whole is running a lot smoother.

I’m leaning towards keeping Gagner on the second unit if Scorecoff can replicate that PP goal on a regular basis (he drifted med-high on the right side then buried the Hemsky x-ice pass). That would give us a deadly combo of 89-13-12-37-77 hitting the ice for the last minute. With the possibility of pissing him off in a contract year notwithstanding, I’d keep Cole off the PP and run him against the opponents bests in the shift after.

67. Coach pb9617 says:

Makes perfect sense, and fits well with playing him with Pisani and the kid that ends up being the preseason superstar.

68. kinger says:

Right on cue, Oilers PP. I’ll let you know how it goes Dennis.

69. Dennis says:

Kinger: we are on the same page tonight, my friend;)

I’d have no problem busting Cole down to the 34 line and I’d do so at the expense of pissing him off in his contract year because there’s no way he can be in the plans longterm anyway.

The guys who are gonna make the forward paper for the Oil are 10-27-83 — 12 to a lesser extent — and I think you’ll see 13-89 getting contracts before next season begins.

There’s just no room to keep Cole around as well so I’m not worried about pissing him off by not giving him PP or first line time.

So, maybe we Should keep Schremp around and next year he’ll get to play with 89-12 when 13 joins 34 on the secondary tough min line;)

Though, I still say one of 12 or 13 winds up being dealt for an EV stopper.

One last note on Schremp: he really is in the wrong place at the right time no matter how he swing it. If we only had two kids that were going — instead of all of 12-13-89 — then you could play him with them and shelter them and see what we had. But he’s not going to get that chance this year and he needs to be in a place like Atlanta where they’re dying for any kind of skill and it doesn’t matter if he racks up huge minus numbers while the club loses OR even a place like Ana where the Pahlsson lines takes on the toughs so he could earn his stripes playing against secondary lines with the likes of Perry-Getzlaf or playing against dummies with a guy like Selanne.

70. Schitzo says:

Things I hate: Cole on the PP

Things I love: Coronas with a neck full of Bacardi Limon instead of a lime

71. Vic Ferrari says:

“With the possibility of pissing him off in a contract year notwithstanding, I’d keep Cole off the PP and run him against the opponents bests in the shift after.”

That’s the thing though, I’d rather that they didn’t piss off Cole. I’d like him to have fun playing for the Oilers, and want to sign on for a few more years.

The 12-89-13-77-37 combo for the second PP unit makes sense. And it keeps life simpler in terms of bench management when regular 5v5 lines stay together on the PP.

Of course whenever the first unit struggles I’m sure that we’ll see some things shifted about pretty quickly. Still, it would be good if they could roll that way quite a bit of the time.

72. kinger says:

First minute:

26-10-83-71-44

Can’t get out of their own zone. 83 gains it then they move it around a bit before 10 and 26 lose a 2 on 2 puck battle and puck is cleared.

27-85-88-41-5

Not a whole lot happened.

Pretty much a classic Oilers PP.

73. kinger says:

Gotta love that sequence of events from Peckham.

74. Schitzo says:

Man, Vish sneaking in like Spacek used to is going to be deadly.

75. Schitzo says:

Goddamn, Souray hasn’t been laid in YEARS

76. doritogrande says:

Sheldon Souray, two minute penalty for being too damn strong.

Anything that PP did was Hemsky so who was on the ice aside from 83 was window dressing.

78. doritogrande says:

Deslauriers and Peckham team up for a beauty sequence of goaltending.

79. Dennis says:

Vic: do you really think the Oilers can afford to keep Cole, though? The Can dollar isn’t likely to increase in the near future so that means the next flux of rev will only come from that magical US national TV deal.

Plus, we’ve already got a tonne of money tied up and Garon, Gagner and Cogs are next in line to get paid.

I don’t think we can keep him and I really don’t mind that because he’s here as one last year of security blanket before some of the kids actually have to play real players.

80. Dennis says:

Just saw the highlights on Hardcore Hockey Talk and wow, if JFJ ever did in one game what Lefebvre did tonight, LT would start a new blog just for that very occasion.

And of course I was post there regularly:)

On another note, they’ve got a new blonde missus handling trivia and she’s as hot as hell but possesses nary a bosom.

81. Schitzo says:

Dennis: Unless Garon knocks our socks off this year, I’d hate to give him the big money deal. If Ken Holland says its dumb to pay big bucks for anything less than a top-5 goaltender, then goddamnit, it’s dumb.

Dennis: I think we have to ask ourselves this question: how many years in the distance will Cogliano be what Cole is now?

WILL that happen? I like Cogliano but Cole is a guy you can sign for a nice three year run during the Hemsky years.

83. Schitzo says:

Get the stretcher ready, Paukovich will be boarding someone soon

84. doritogrande says:

I like this Peckham kid. He’s definitely been an upgrade over the other knuckle-chuckers we’ve seen this pre-season.

lol. The Flyers used to be like that. Some Leaf would glare at Schultz and next thing you knew there was blood all over the ice.

86. Vic Ferrari says:

Dennis:

Yeah, I agree with everything you’ve said about Schremp. I mean there is no way in hell he gets the gig on Pisani’s line, and Cogliano is surely two or three years away from having enough game as well, so it’s not like there is a trickle down effect just waiting to happen there.

Nilson is a guy who they could bump back I suppose, MacTavish seems to trust him more than I do. That would open up a spot on the kid line for Schremp.

And with the way the early schedule looks so tough, I don’t think that MacTavish will have much time for player development exercises. Not if he has a mandate to take this team to a playoff spot.

If Schremp really has rounded out his game in the minors, then he should be able to contribute on the fourth line anyways, or at least not hurt the team. And he can wait for an injury to get his chance in the top nine.

87. McKenzie says:

Penner is damn good on the PK

88. Dennis says:

True enough, LT.

I still say some of the kids have to be dealt for true help on the backend so maybe that’s how we could play it.

Dennis: Yeah, the cluster is a little buggered because all of the D is going to be young (or almost all) to do much good before Hemsky’s contract is up, so maybe Cogs and a young D for one of those “grizzled veterans” on the blueline.

90. Dennis says:

Vic: I don’t really buy that he has indeed rounded out his game without the puck; but he’s put in his time in the A and if he’s putting in his time in the gym as well, then I’d keep him around and give him a handful of games to see if he has any spark.

91. doritogrande says:

Fuck you Hemsky. Shoot that puck.

92. Vic Ferrari says:

Dennis:

Yeah, I think that Cole is the type of player that you keep if you can. So long as you’re confident that’s he’s fully healthy.

They have a few young guys that might be as good as Cole one day. On the other hand, maybe none of them ever quite make that grade.

With Schremp ready for the show, and Trukhno and Brule not far away … there just isn’t the type of ice time available for them now, with Cogliano, Nilson and Gagner probably not quite ready to step up in weight class.

I would bet that Gagner will be the first to take the jump. If they can get him working at centre, and then bump him to the Hemsky line … leaving Cole or Penner with Horcoff/Pisani to form another line that would be a nightmare to play against.

It’s not Forsberg/Sakic or Fedorov/Yzerman … but it is still potentially a terrific 1 two punch down the middle, with some damn good wingers on the ice as well.

Of course rushing Gagner would be madness. But that’s how space has to open up for the other kids imo. Either that or through trades.

93. kinger says:

Is Rod high?

94. Schitzo says:

Lubo is a joy
    I like his skating and smile
    powerplay goal oil!

95. doritogrande says:

That was a haiku.

A freaky little Oiler haiku.

96. kinger says:

Now THAT’S how you turtle! Did you see Ballard wrapping his arms around Souray’s legs??

Hahahaha

97. Schitzo says:

Apparently haiku does not impress Ballard.

98. Dennis says:

That makes sense and it probably happens as soon as the start of the 2010 season.

I saw 89 playing with 78-88 and I honest to fuck thought he looked a bit bored and disinterested. It was like he’s not yet to the point where he can make guys like that hum but he knows he’s good enough to keep up offensively with the older established guys.

99. Schitzo says:

Sheldon Souray: The Aggressor

100. Coach pb9617 says:

The only “show” that Schremp is ready for is his guest appearance on the View as “Sugartits, Thong Boy”

101. doritogrande says:

schitzo:

Sounds like a glossary term to me.

102. Quain says:

I think I’m starting to share LT’s affection for Peckham. Not quite ready for the show yet, but I’m quite looking forward to when he is.

103. doritogrande says:

I call Peckham-Chorney as the best pairing in the AHL this year.

They’ve been lights out tonight. High praise for their collective defensive awareness, positioning, puck rushing and, in Peckham’s case, ass-whomping.

I’m ready to see a game with the entire team:

Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky
    Cogliano-Gagner-Nilsson
    Brodziak-Moreau-Pisani
    Pouliot-Schremp-Stortini

Souray-Staios
    Grebeshkov-Gilbert
    Visnovsky-Smid

Garon

How many play tomorrow night?

105. Schitzo says:

Dorito – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Souray

I am now banned from Wikipedia

106. doritogrande says:

Hemsky = stunning deke.

107. doritogrande says:

sugartits not to be outdone.

108. kinger says:

Lowetide said…

I’m ready to see a game with the entire team:

Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky
    Cogliano-Gagner-Nilsson
    Brodziak-Moreau-Pisani
    Pouliot-Schremp-Stortini

You missed Cole LT.

109. Schitzo says:

Dammit Fernie, backhand!

110. Steve says:

I am now banned from Wikipedia.

Nowhere near it – you got a friendly little warning about your “test edit”. You have no idea how much you’d have to do to actually get banned.

Signed,

Your friendly neighbourhood Wikipedia administrator

111. Schitzo says:

Bwahahah. thanks steve.

Oh yeah, oilers lose. doh.

112. doritogrande says:

Damn. Still very impressed with Deslauriers. He just made the crease a proper three-headed monster. If he can duplicate this performance once more, there’s no way he goes back to Springfield.

kinger: DAMN! I ALWAYS DO THAT!

Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky
    Cogliano-Gagner-Nilsson
    Brodziak-Cole-Pisani
    Pouliot-Moreau-Stortini

114. Coach pb9617 says:

Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky
    Cogliano-Gagner-Nilsson
    Brodziak-Cole-Pisani
    Pouliot-Moreau-Stortini

I really think Brule makes the team.

I thought Schremp and Reddox played well among the forwards, and the Frenchman who pounded sand (or glass) is also interesting.

Chorney and Peckham were fun, Wild did all kinds of things to get noticed and JDD didn’t hurt his chances.

Colin McDonald apparently played.

116. doritogrande says:

I’m sorry, but “you can’t always get what you want” just makes me laugh right now.

Though we did “get what we need”ed. A positive showing from 88, the Chorney-Peckham tandem and the big man Deslauriers.

117. doritogrande says:

“Colin McDonald apparently played.”

Lerg too, apparently.

118. Tyler says:

LT – re: the 4th line, I don’t really see what Stortini brings to the table there, and why no one is talking about him getting bumped. He was a great compliment on the GlenX Brodz line, but if you’re going with MP/Schremp, why not round it out with Brule?

119. PDO says:

Anyone know where I can catch some highlites?

Tyler: I’d be fine with it but that won’t happen unless Stortini has a long stretch of shittiness. Now I believe the odds are very high he will fall back to earth but how many games will MacT need to see before Stortini finds pine?

10 for sure.

121. rickibear says:

“Nilson is a guy who they could bump back I suppose, MacTavish seems to trust him more than I do.”

Of our top ten forwards Nilsson faced the 5th toughest comp team combinations. That was in similiar range as Cole and Moreau. Nilssons GA/60 was freakishly low. Detroit low. So I guess MacT trust him enough to drop him down to a brodziak Pisani line.

NAME (Team-Comp) GA/60
    BRODZIAK (-0.12) 3.44
    COGLIANO (-0.03) 2.99
    PENNER (0.07) 2.78
    HEMSKY (0.00) 2.94
    GAGNER (0.15) 3.19
    NILSSON (-0.07) 2.29
    MOREAU (-0.08) 2.63
    PISANI (-0.16) 2.74
    HORCOFF (0.03) 2.67
    COLE (-0.09) 2.64

“That would open up a spot on the kid line for Schremp.”

Replace Schremp with the name Cole in the above sentence.

122. Tyler says:

LT – There’s no doubt your right, just seems like a waste to me…

Based on the way Brule has played so far, wouldn’t a reasonable expectation for this year be that he equals or exceeds Glencross’s production and energy from last year, with a much higher ceiling going forward?

Oh yeah. The saving grace here is that MacT is a pretty smart guy and he’ll see what he has in Brule. But I do think the victims are far more likely to be Schremp and or Pouliot than Stortini.

Moreau’s still healthy, so I’m still thinking it is one of Schremp or Brule with Potulny fading and Pouliot the wild card.

124. gary b says:

i’d love to see Brule on the 4th line, too – Stortini and Brule and Moreau wreaking havoc all over the ice. i love Captain Chopper, but at this point i think he’s most useful in a limited energy role, and killing penalties.

Leave Cole on the 1st line, and put Brodziak between Penner and Pisani. i think #51 is ready to take a step up. and i’d rather have one guy on that line playing an unfamiliar position than two…

125. Jb says:

Lowetide said…

I’m ready to see a game with the entire team:

Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky
    Cogliano-Gagner-Nilsson
    Brodziak-Moreau-Pisani
    Pouliot-Schremp-Stortini

I was relieved this Pouliot making the team talk finally died like it should have… but Pouliot making the team over Cole is slightly more than shocking…

I know your rooting for the guy but wow, slight bias here.

edit: oops I see its been pointed out and was an “accident”. ;)

126. DeBakey says:

I was at the game.

1st Panther goal – Pisani lost 2 d-zone draws in a row & his line was pinned. On the goal Chorney got stuck Betwixt & Between.

Lefebvre vs Glass – Glass tied up Lefebvre's right arm & got hit about 52 times with his left. Lefebvre also didn't get the puck out at the point on the 2nd Fla. goal.
    Lefebvre can skate, but the end boards have more scoring ability.

The NCAA line – Lerg, McDonald & Paukovich didn't make much happen. MacT had Paukavich killing penalties tho, did OK

Schremp doesn't accelerate. I think Reddox has a better chance of helping the Oil win games.

Like many others, I don't see the Penner, Pisani, Moreau line working.

Wild played a nice game.

In the 1st Period Horcoff looked rusty, Hemsky asleep. that changed later.

127. Vic Ferrari says:

Lefebvre is left handed you think? I really like the idea of a left handed fighter, if he can play at all. Georges of course is equally good with both hands, but he’s in a class of his own.

128. spOILer says:

I don’t get it.

Didn’t MacT just comment that Brodziak was going to be taking quite a few important face-offs and get minutes at the end of a period, PK, that type of thing?

Understandable since he’s one of the best RH options on FOs. Fernie is a LHer, no?

Isn’t it the hope though, to ice a 2nd toughest minutes guy who swings the opposite way the 1st toughest does?

How is this going to be accomplished the way the 3rd line is presently structured? Penner sits in these situations and Pisani moves back to RW?

What’s the point of all this positional shmuggly-juggle, if they’re going to have to switch it up yet again at key times?

Or is this just MacT’s way of training a good 2nd-one-in FO guy, to cover for the inevitable greenhorn at 3C, whomsoever they turn out to be? And adding another overall FO asset.

Of course the problem with this whole 3C situation is the adherence to the Kid Line. In one sense it’s logical that if there’s players that need shelter, shelter them all at the same time. And the cluster can grow together.

If they go that route I think they’re going to have to exchange some pieces, especially if they’re serious about keeping Cole.

There’s a lot of pressure on the beginning of the season, including future contract negotiations with Cole’s agent.

I can’t see the Kid Line lasting long if the team struggles early on.

If the Oil can stay close to the top of the division, they may hold off till the deadline or run with what they’ve got.

But there could be some good deals out there right now while there’s still pre-season cap grief.

129. Vic Ferrari says:

Even though the only stat that matters in preseason is injuries, some bits and pieces:

The Oilers veteran forwards aren’t blocking many shots at all. This is a good thing.

It is helped by the fact the the veterans seem to be getting the lion’s share of the offensive zone draws, the rookies are starting more in their own end.

Fun Fact: In the two games played at Rexall, an Oiler all-rookie/bubble guy line has yet to even be on the ice for an Oiler shot-on-goal. (Pouliot and Schremp were on the ice for a whack of Oiler shots when they played with Gagner, and none at all when they didn’t).

Peckham would seem to be the best Oiler rookie D by most accounts. And the numbers bear that out … though getting outshot 18-5 while you were on the ice at evens, and being -1 … that’s still bloody awful.

The simple sum of shots-while-on-ice for rookies/bubble guys:

Shots+/-: -87
    Fenwick+/-: -102
    Corsi+/-: -122

Obviously that’s awful, ’74 Caps awful.

The guys who are going to be on the roster for sure:

Shots+/-: -13
    Fenwick+/-: -4
    Corsi+/-: +33

No hell, but the important thing about this … Fenwick should be -18ish and Corsi -23ish. Unless, of course, absolutely no bugger is standing in the shooting lanes, then you get numbers like above.

My point: I think MacTavish finally has this preseason thing figured out.

130. Lord Bob says:

…what?

I’m fairly sure that if you picked any three regular Lowetide commenters and chucked us out against the Florida Panthers ‘B’ squad, we could get a shot on goal.

131. PDO says:

That is utterly amazing.

…. do you have any idea how much ice time has been given to three of them at once? That’s about the only caveat I can think of.

132. Bruce says:

maybe Cogs and a young D for one of those “grizzled veterans” on the blueline

LT: How about, say, Stoll and Greene for Visnovsky?

Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky
    Cogliano-Gagner-Nilsson
    Brodziak-Cole-Pisani
    Pouliot-Moreau-Stortini

I like this a lot. IMO it’s an optimal deployment of wingers. Might take a while to shake out the 3-4-5 centres, for sake of discussion Brodziak, Pouliot and Brule. Poo did all right playing with Fernando in March, while Brodz was very effective paired with Stortini. If Kyle can win the tougher assignment on the third line, Brule might give Pouliot all he can handle for the 4th line spot, as the newcomer’s style of play might be better suited to the bull-in-a-china-shop style of Stortini and Moreau.

133. Traktor says:

If anyone suggested that Moreau Pisani Penner should be our 3rd line a few weeks ago they would have been laughed at. Only MacTavish…

The guy is smart enough to build a plane but too stupid to fly it.

134. Traktor says:

Frank Musil’s 15-year-old son David, who grew up in Edmonton, is playing in the Czech Elite League for Dukla Jihlava. The six-foot-five blue-liner isn’t eligible for the Canadian Hockey League’s European draft for two years.

“He’s just graduated Grade 9,” said Musil.

David, the youngest player in the Czech League, played here with Kevin Lowe’s son, Keegan, and Craig Simpson’s son, Dillon.

Future #1 pick?

135. kinger says:

Bisallion falls victim to the curse of the ‘picture on the side of LT’s blog’.

136. HBomb says:

Bisallion falls victim to the curse of the ‘picture on the side of LT’s blog’.

I worry this guy is going to make the team as the “spare forward” and will end up getting a ton of 4LW time that should be going to Schremp, Brule or Pouliot. Potulny I could live with, because he might actually have some upside….

137. doritogrande says:

“With that, I request that Lowetide please put up a picture of “the new Toby Petersen”, otherwise known as one Liam Reddox, immediately.”

I’m more worried that it’s going to be Sestito, based on how much Bucky loved him on last year’s Falcons team.

Perugini sent out without getting any action in? That’s a damn shame. I wanted to see him play.

138. doritogrande says:

Reading between the lines of today’s pre-game banter, looks like these three lines are set:

Nilsson-Cogliano-Gagner
    Penner-Pouliot-Trukhno
    Brule-Brodziak-Stortini

Looks like Brule’s audition game for the 12th F spot. Hope he brings it, and that Pierre Maguire blows his was over him.

139. spOILer says:

Sestito, Reddox…

Hmm, didn’t MacT tell Gregor that he had three options w.r.t. the spare 4LW spot. He went on to discuss Schremp and Brule and never mentioned the third. I think Gregor just kind of assumed it was Pouliot (who normally doesn’t play LW, but there’d be shuffling).

It might not be, though.

140. Ribs says:

Cuts for those who don’t want to search….

Assigned to Springfield were:

Garet Hunt (LW)
    Bryan Lerg (LW)
    Colin McDonald (RW)
    Sean McMorrow (RW)
    Ryan O’Marra (RW)
    Geoff Paukovich (LW)

Right winger Jordan Eberle was returned to the Regina Pats of the Western Hockey League.

141. digger says:

Roster for tonight, as per Gregor:

Nilsson – Cogliano – Gagner
    Trukhno – Pouliot – Penner
    Brodziak – Brule – Stortini
    Goulet – Spurgeon – Sestito

Staios – Smid
    Gilbert – Grebeshkov
    Chorney – Strudwick

Garon and Roloson, Garon will start.

Gregor also makes mention that it sounds like MacT’s starting to sour a bit on that whole ‘Pisani as a center’ thing.

142. Traktor says:

Interesting that Mac had Brule at C tonight and Brodziak on the wing.
    To me that suggests that MacTavish might be thinking Brule for the 4c which probably means that he’s also thinking of Brodziak at 3c and Moreau at 4lw.

143. spOILer says:

The quote courtesy of Brownlee, Gregor and ON:

Craig MacTavish might be changing his third line. Fellow Nation writer, Robin Brownlee, asked MacTavish about the line and he said, “I’m having some second thoughts about that, but we’ll see how it progresses. Sometimes it takes the veterans a bit longer to get into things. I will give them another shot, but it’s tough on the face-offs right now. We are giving up too many chances in the defensive zone, and I doubt I can live with that.”
    Gilbert Brule will play centre tonight with Brodziak and Stortini, and with MacTavish questioning his third line, Brule suddenly becomes part of the equation for that line.

Very interesting. Brodz was decent at the dot last year and Pouliot the year before that. Brule, I'm not sure.

Traktor>

To me, that looks like MacT has a whole 4th line together and two thirds of a possible 3rd line.

____ POUL PENN
    BROD BRUL STOR

With Penner playing LW in that scenario, maybe it's his adjustment on the 3rd that's been the concern.

So why not try MORE PISA COLE instead?

144. Lord Bob says:

Lerg, Bisaillon, and Hrabel take the pipe on one day? No wonder LT’s been quiet; he’s probably devestated.

That said, Spurgeon, Goulet, Sestito, and Reddox (aka the first-line centre and entire second line of the 2006-2007 Stockton Thunder) can go home any time now. Really.