Shine On, Spartan

We’ve talked about Bryan Lerg a couple of times before and the fact that he could surprise in camp. The fact that he impressed at rookie camp isn’t terribly surprising (he’s much older than most of these kids and he’s already had a leadership role on a very good team) but it’s also true that he has actual talent and that will bode well at the main camp.

Read more here.

11 Responses to "Shine On, Spartan"

1. Schitzo says:

I don’t follow the US system very much – is Michigan State playing with the big boys, or is this another “Nash’s numbers can’t be trusted because Cornell sucks” situation?

schitzo: I stand to be corrected, but Michigan State would be in the NFC East of college hockey.

Shawn Horcoff was a Spartan, as an example.

3. Coach pb9617 says:

NFC East?

That’s not a baseball division!

4. Coach pb9617 says:

LT, I posted this late to the Gilmour comp party, but wanted to throw it out there for future reference:

I don’t think Gilmour comps hold water. That’s just not the type of player Sam has shown himself to be. In other words, it’s wishcasting. I don’t think that he’s ever going to be effective in a checking role of any type. Gilmour was from the time he entered the league.

I might be crazy here, but when I see Sam at 18, I think Gilbert Perreault at 21. The dandy and deft touch, the knack for being where the puck is going to be, and the ability to find a teammate’s black tape from some amazing spots.

The skating isn’t there yet, but Sam has two more years of Camp Mandelbaum before anyone can compare — unless they saw juniors Perreault…

5. Bruce says:

My own first take on Bryan Lerg and many of his fellow Oiler prospects can be found on my new blog:

Yup! I’ve taken the plunge and wobbled through the first baby steps. No blogroll, links, or pretty backgrounds just yet; these things will take time, especially for a technoklutz like me. But the first posts are up, and you’re all welcome to visit any time. I look forward to hosting some stimulating hockey talk on Oil Droppings.

Hey Bruce! Terrific to see you join the fun, I’ll put your blog up right after posting here.

Coach: Not in terms of style (obviously) as Perreault was an end to end freak. However, I do agree in that Perreault’s strengths were purely offensive that appears to be Gagner’s forte too.

Huge caveat though as we don’t know all that Sam Gagner is as of yet. He’s a smart cookie.

7. Bruce says:

LT: Thanks for the link, much appreciated! I will of course do the same for you once I figure out what the fuck I’m doing. (In other words, don’t hold your breath.) It’s been an interesting day … at least I made it to first base.

8. ClaytonMagnet says:

I skimmed over the title of the post quickly and started reading, thinking to myself “why in the hell would they get rid of this kid so soon…?”

Read the title again and realized it was ‘Shine’ not ‘Sail’.

9. Baroque says:

Michigan State is an excellent college hockey program – they won the NCAA championship a couple years ago and are in the mix for the Frozen Four most years. Schools like State and the University of Michigan have also been playing an increasing number of European players who come over for the opportunity to use their hockey scholarships to get an education at a good school – I think U of M had three foreign players last year.

The Sabres goalie, Ryan Miller, is also a former Spartan.

The Detroit Red Wings drafted Justin Abdelkader a few years ago and he turned pro last year and is a possibility to make the big club this year (but will probably stay with Grand Rapids, at least to start).

Signed, a Michigan resident. :)

10. Oilman says:

Bruce….good to see you took some readers advice….on my way to your site…..now.

11. Schitzo says: