Eager Eberle

Jordan Eberle is burning down the house in Regina tonight. 2-1-3, +2 and in 3 WHL games so far this season he’s 3-2-5, +4.

Stu MacGregor’s first trip to the podium as the man in charge of the Oilers draft netted the club Eberle. He may not reach the heights of Prendergast’s first pick (Hemsky) but Eberle is having a very nice start to the season.

15 Responses to "Eager Eberle"

1. doritogrande says:

Both goals at even strength to boot. Nice to see he can get this stuff done without the extra man. Odd though, I thought Regina had no scoring prowess.

He’s got a good chance to impress, but looking down the line there doesn’t seem to be much room available for him to crack this lineup unless we see some people moved over the next two years. As good as his goal scoring is, he might not be able to pull a Hemsky and make the team as an underager.

I think a spot on the U20 squad should be a line in the sand for his development.

2. doritogrande says:

As an aside, Cornet would appear to have had a two-assist game his last time out. The Q website is possibly the hardest league site I’ve ever seen, harder to navigate even than the site for the Stockton Thunder.

Anyone got any stats on his play so far?

He’s also Captain of the team apparently. 5th round steal?

3. Lord Bob says:

God, I dunno, LT. If I had kids I’d love Eberle more than them. I think he’s fantastic.

Of course, I used to ride the Michael Henrich bandwagon pretty hard.

4. Bruce says:

Michael Henrich was the only guy drafted in the first round in 1998 who never played a single NHL game. The other 26 first-rounders have combined to play 9,946 GP. So far.

5. jon k says:

As far as I’ve heard from reports, the Pats actually play a very offense-oriented game. Their problems oddly enough stem from not enough offensive horsepower. It should be noted though that Eberle likely benefits from the system.

6. B.C.B. says:

He may not be Hemsky, but at least he can’t be Niinimaki. Good job, stu.

7. Master Lok says:

Knock on wood! Knock on wood!

8. Dennis says:

I saw Henrich down here with the Bulldogs and was I ever disappointed.

9. uni says:

I’m hoping Cornet really is a 5th round steal, two good NHL players with the limited draft picks for ’08 would be pretty damn sweet. Also I want Lord Bob to eat his hat =).

10. T. says:

Lovin’ Eberle.

Everything from the draft excitement, to his great attitude to this early season impressiveness. One to watch for sure.

May he put on a few pounds of the right kind of weight, stay healthy and continue the upward trend.

11. Asiaoil says:

Got to admit that I was pretty impressed with Cornet while he was up – he was very different than his draft reviews which were just awful: slow, soft, injury prone etc etc. The kid seemed to have a lot of battle in him and something between his ears as well – so here’s hoping he can turn into a bit of a poor-man’s Pisani.

12. Doogie2K says:

Since we’re talking Dub, I have impressions of tonight’s Hitmen game. Plante’s line: 1A, +1, 5 PIM.

I don’t anticipate doing that every time, but every so often, I might throw something up on the subject. And no, I still have no clue what the status of his trade demand is.

13. NBOilerFan says:

Doogie2K – Plante has recinded his request for a trade…

14. Doogie2K says:

@NB: I must’ve missed that being in the “Other News” section. Thanks for the tip.