Gilbert is not the most gifted offensive defender in the history of the Edmonton Oilers. That honor belongs (and will for my lifetime) to one Paul Coffey.
The record for most points by a rookie defenseman no longer belongs to the smooth skating kid from Weston, Ontario.
Gilbert caught him at the wire and eclipsed a mark that had been written in ink for over a quarter century: points by an Oilers rookie defenseman.
Here’s the list of rookie D who passed the number 20:
- Tom Gilbert (07-08) 82gp, 13-20-33
- Paul Coffey (80-81) 74gp, 9-23-32
- Randy Gregg (82-83) 80gp, 6-22-28
- Marc-Andre Bergeron (03-04) 54gp, 9-17-26
- Steve Smith (85-86) 55gp, 4-20-24
- Dan McGillis (96-97) 73gp, 6-16-22
- Kevin Lowe (79-80) 64gp, 2-19-21
- Tom Poti (98-99) 73gp, 5-16-21
Next up will be Taylor Chorney, Cody Wild and Jeff Petry. Chorney has a small chance to play some this season, but I don’t think anyone will make this list in 08-09.