Edmonton Oilers Rookie Points Record (D)

Tom Gilbert had a terrific rookie season for the Edmonton Oilers. He was rewarded with a big new contract and great expectations.

Gilbert is not the most gifted offensive defender in the history of the Edmonton Oilers. That honor belongs (and will for my lifetime) to one Paul Coffey.

The record for most points by a rookie defenseman no longer belongs to the smooth skating kid from Weston, Ontario.

Gilbert caught him at the wire and eclipsed a mark that had been written in ink for over a quarter century: points by an Oilers rookie defenseman.

Here’s the list of rookie D who passed the number 20:

1. Tom Gilbert (07-08) 82gp, 13-20-33
  2. Paul Coffey (80-81) 74gp, 9-23-32
  3. Randy Gregg (82-83) 80gp, 6-22-28
  4. Marc-Andre Bergeron (03-04) 54gp, 9-17-26
  5. Steve Smith (85-86) 55gp, 4-20-24
  6. Dan McGillis (96-97) 73gp, 6-16-22
  7. Kevin Lowe (79-80) 64gp, 2-19-21
  8. Tom Poti (98-99) 73gp, 5-16-21

Next up will be Taylor Chorney, Cody Wild and Jeff Petry. Chorney has a small chance to play some this season, but I don’t think anyone will make this list in 08-09.

15 Responses to "Edmonton Oilers Rookie Points Record (D)"

1. PDO says:

He’s a beauty. Not quite sure he’ll ever repeat those numbers… but those numbers are disgusting. Especially considering the era.

Three things:

1) Are the Cubbies actually getting swept after winning the NL? Really?

2) Hamitlon has dropped 38 points on Montreal. Seriously. After Montreal had allowed like 10 points in two games. I don’t even know what to think.

3) Esks need to win tonight, or they’re looking at a quick out in a crossover in Winnipeg in the near future….

1. Lou’s always good for a W on his own, so I think CHI wins tonight. He’ll probably decide to pinch hit Zambrano in the 15th and he’ll hit a big fly.

2. The Eastern Division of the CFL is a weekend beer league.

3. If Ray is healthy there’s nothing to worry about. He’s healthy. Right? RIGHT?

3. PDO says:

1. He is… but I’ve lost a lot of money because of that feeling the past two games, so I don’t know what to think any more. The Cubs can’t buy a hit for the life of them, and Mark Derosa is high on my shit list right now. I’m not a cubs fan by any stretch…. but c’mon. It’s been 100 years. It was a nice story.

2. Lol. That’s beautiful.

3. Ray’s not healthy….

… the good news is, our coach finally realized that it’s a good idea to play McCarty at RB instead of saving him for special teams when AJ can’t play!!

4. rickibear says:

“3. Randy Gregg(82-83) 80gp, 6-22-28″
    ???

Go Riders!

5. danny says:

Just curious, as I haven’t noticed it mentioned, have you (LT) officially ceased being an Oilersnation blogger? Not that I ever visit there, just haven’t seen the ‘read more here’ link in a while.

danny: I’m still writing for ON but I’ll be honest it doesn’t flow for me when I sit down to write something for them. The problem is, I don’t really write stuff for people, I write it for me.

So if I were to post the Lerg item at ON, would anyone really be interested? Honestly, the stuff I’d probably write is already being done by Jonathan and then Jason + Robin have the actual reporting covered.

So it’s a work in progress. I haven’t cut any tie to ON, certainly something will be sent to them sometime soon.

I just seem to be in an “obscure” mood right now.

7. danny says:

understood.

One question, do you hear the voice from ‘The Wonder Years’ narrating your minds memoirs?

Hehe for some reason thats the picture I got after the I write for me comment :)

cheers

8. Lord Bob says:

I just seem to be in an “obscure” mood right now.

Because your references are usually so contemporary and commonplace!

lord bob: lol. I’m positively mainstream. :-)

danny: It’s more Buck Owens on Hee-Haw, but you have a point.

10. Rob says:

What wrong with obscure? I come here for the obscure.

11. Black Dog says:

I don’t follow much CFL but I swear I heard a guy on TSN say that Hamilton, with three wins, has a shot at homefield in the playoffs.

Huh?

Tom Gilbert is a beauty.

12. Sean says:

Gilbert is a beauty but he kept getting skinned last night. But it was by Iginla so I’m not sure if its part of “learning to play the hard minutes”. That boy sure has composure with the puck.

I was at the Esks game tonight. 14-2 go for ATM pizza and a beer and by the time I sit down its 16-14 Esks. Schmooos didnt turn back after that. Jackson is also a beauty. 4 kicks to Stamps and Jacson returns the first one he touches. Esks are better 3rd in the East than 2nd in the West.

13. Doogie2K says:

Huh?

I believe whoever wins the second place in the East gets home field because the crossover team takes the third slot, even if they have the better record. I believe the crossover also means that it is theoretically possible to have a Battle of Alberta in the Grey Cup.

In case it hasn’t been mentioned yet, the CFL is kind of crazy. Lovably crazy, but crazy nonetheless.

14. Deans says:

Somthing tells me that either Gilbert or Greber will have a terrible season. Not sure why, but there is no way that all of the oilers outstanding rookies from last year can all have reapet performances

Are the oilers really improved? Are we just drinking the local kool-aid?

15. danny says:

Gilbert has a world class toolset. He really put it all together the first half of last season. The last half wasn’t nearly as impressive. That leaves me wondering about the guys head. I was alone last seaoson when I started pulling out the Spaz comparisons. His turnovers are usually of the epic variety, and his bad decisions usually stretch across entire shifts. All the while wooing you with his sexy tools.

Maybe he’s easy to figure out, maybe he’s a one trick pony. It’s a little unnerving. Grebs seems like a more cerebral and coachable guy IMO. That guy improved and rarely made the same mistakes. That’s what you really want to see.

I’m pulling for tom obviously, his contract just scares me a little. He’s easy to like, but breaks your heart much too often lately… Spaz II?