Hrabal Hrabal

Josef Hrabal is playing tonight for the Falcons. Guy has a nice item on it over at Coming Down the Pipe.

Hrabal has a lot of pro experience and his resume reads a bit like a young Jan Hejda (in terms of lots of pro experience in high Euro leagues). I’ve written about Hrabal 5 times now (it’s on the menu, spelled as “Hrabel) and have him ranked as the Oilers 14th best prospect.

His skill set and experience may push him past a few of the highly rated kids playing the blue in Homer Simpson’s town.

27 Responses to "Hrabal Hrabal"

1. doritogrande says:

I was just about to go and bitch about this in the previous thread. Didn’t they say 6-8 weeks recovery time?

Seems like short-term gain for potential long-term problems. I’m not a fan of this at all.

Hrabal with an assist on a PP goal. Springfield up 3-1 and this just in, Schremp has 5 EV points in 4 games.

3. Dennis says:

Didn’t Hrabel leave the game in the first period with a torn dress?

Finally, I’m pretty neutral on RS but it’s his third year in the A so he Should be pretty close to tearing it up.

It’s not like I’m against guys that are offense-first but I wish Hrabel more Hejda in him than Grebeshkov.

Hejda would be a godsend to this team right now but saying that kind of thing would probably have you banned from Rexall.

Or at least the pressbox!

4. Asiaoil says:

Lowe and Co have not many many bad moves when it comes to dmen – but letting Hejda walk for no reason was a doozy. He has exactly the kind of cap-friendly contract a team needs in the top 4 if you want to be super competitive.

5. dubya says:

Phew, I was worried we might get through a discussion of Oiler D prospects without mentioning Hejda.

6. Dennis says:

All moves and/or acquisitions aren’t created equal and it would take a whole lot of good moves — or say Grebs signing for as cheap as Hejda did — to make up for having this guy under your nose and letting him go.

7. oilerdiehard says:

So Hrabal got a point but still ended up a -2. I guess he is a high event player at both ends. Much like Chorney was after only 2 games? :)

Sorry I could not resist.

Here is to hoping Hrabal has a smooth transition. It would be great if he turned into something decent at the NHL level. His cap hit for the next couple is nice and low.

8. kinger says:

dubya: Letting a guy like Hejda go unsigned while throwing a bunch of money at the likes of Tarnstrom and Souray deserves to be brought up again and again and again…

One hopes that Kevin Lowe would have shown the presence of mind guys like Dennis and I displayed prior to Hejda signing with Columbus in the summer of ’07.

02-19-2007

07-02-2007

Now keep in mind that Hejda signed for 1.3M in 07/08, then reupped for 3 years @ 6M in 08/09 (Tarnstrom signed for 2M in 07/08). Not only did Lowe f’up by letting Hejda walk, he spent his money on Dick Tarnstrom.

Whoops.

9. dubya says:

Umm, congrats? I, too, felt that we should resign Hejda (and that he should’ve been in the lineup much earlier)…though I have no internet record to prove my genius. Guess that means it doesn’t count. Sad, too, because there’s nothing better than being right on the interweb. Regardless, I have a statute of limitations on whining about moves gone wrong. Just like I’m no longer singing Lowe’s praises for acquiring Pronger, I’m no longer bitching about losing Pronger. Life’s too short, and I’d rather talk about the players that are actually ON the Oilers in 2008.

10. dubya says:

Also…LT, well done on the “Rebel, Rebel” title. Long time coming.

11. kinger says:

Yep, it doesn’t count.

Clearly you are not a member of the card carrying armchair GM elite.

Perhaps you should start a blog?

12. Bruce says:

Funny, the people who still haven’t stopped bitching about losing Hejda never seem to get around to the singing Lowe’s praises for acquiring Hejda part.

Hejda looked real good to me too in that midseason stretch in 2006-07, but he also got hurt during that nightmarish stretch run and may have fallen victim to out of sight, out of mind syndrome. He was one of those “invisible” defensive blueliners who has to be observed long term to be appreciated. He only played 39 games for Oil and his numbers weren’t that impressive (1-8-9, -6). Not enough to make him a priority, which in retrospect was a mistake. To those who predicted the matter correctly before it became “retrospect”, good call, but it’s spilled milk today. And goddam sour milk a year and a half after the fact.

There’s this old saying you may have heard that goes something like this: Shit happens. Roster management is a numbers game and sometimes dice get rolled. (See also: GlenX, who would look mighty good in SMac’s spot right about NOW.) Sometimes there really are other priorities, e.g. while Lowe was letting Jan Hejda walk for $2 MM a year, he was also signing Mathieu Garon for half that. Sure the moves were unrelated, and absofuckinlutely it would be great to have both Garon and Hejda today, but the nature of the beast is sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.

Uh, yeah. Funny thing, Dubya, you and I may be going at it hammer and tongs over at Bryanbryoil’s Place, but we are in complete agreement here.

13. raventalon40 says:

Speaking of guys we shouldn’t have let go of… Reasoner. Oh well.

14. Schitzo says:

Also…LT, well done on the “Rebel, Rebel” title. Long time coming.

Rebel Rebel? I just assumed that he was the hamburgler.

15. Dennis says:

Bruce: it comes down to the fact that you win or you don’t.

We haven’t made the playoffs in two years so I feel fine complaining:)

The thing about everything going back to Pronger is that he put us over the top and a guy like Peca wound up being useful in the playoffs as well.

And, for as much as the EIG cried poor and took the money before the lockout, the fact that they Had been so cheap was the reason why Lowe was allowed to take on big contracts like Pronger and Peca in the first place. So, yeah kudos to him for getting the jump and good on him and good for us.

Since that? Not so much.

I’d still rather have Smyth for 5.5 instead of Penner and Nilsson for ~7 mill and I’d still rather have Hejda than Matt Greene.

When we start making the playoffs again, then maybe the Lowe guys will have a defense.

16. Schitzo says:

Dennis: Really? I’d be hardpressed to say Smyth straight across for Nilsson is a good idea at this point. Unless Penner has negative value, I think you’re exaggerating somewhat.

17. Bruce says:

I’d still rather have Smyth for 5.5 instead of Penner and Nilsson for ~7 mill

Hmmm … $4.25 MM + $1.833 MM = $6.083 MM, let’s just round ‘er up to an even 7. Meanwhile at $6.25 MM Smyth has a cap hit more than the two of them combined. So I’m having a little trouble with your math on this one Dennis. (Ryan’s “home town discount” of $5.5 MM remains, as it always was, a rumour.)

and I’d still rather have Hejda than Matt Greene.

Last time I checked, we don’t have either. Life goes on, opportunities get missed and other opportunities arise in their place, rosters change on an almost organic level. Hell, I still think it was mistake to let go of Ray Whitney. But after 4 or 5 years I entered a 12-step program and let it go.

If Greene over Hejda was indeed the decision (I can’t seem to find it under “Transactions”), some of the considerations included the fact that Greene was (and is) 5 years younger than Hejda; that the organization would continue to hold RFA rights in him after the 2007-signed contract expired whereas Hejda could have walked in 2008 the exact same way that he did walk in 2007; that the organization had invested a 2nd-round pick in Greene and a 7th-rounder in Hejda; that Greene had played 25 minutes a night down the stretch while Hejda limped around the catwalk; that the team was rebuilding and trying to build a young core of guys “growing up together”. It would have taken a hockey genius of Dennis’s calibre ;) to project Hejda “over” Greene at that point in time.

As a more recent marker, both just signed new contracts with their new clubs that in at least theoretically reflect their current value in the NHL: Hejda 3 years @ $2 MM, Greene 5 years @ $3 MM. Funny that.

18. Bruce says:

We haven’t made the playoffs in two years so I feel fine complaining:)

You’re right, Dennis. So were Spacek and Samsonov. That all four of those guys walked at the end of the Cup run was almost entirely beyond Lowe’s control. You can argue ’til the cows come home — and believe me, Dennis, you have :) — that Lowe shoulda got more for Pronger instead of cashing in his chips for a rebuild, but there was no trade out there that would replace Pronger himself, let alone all the other vets that walked.

Lowe cashed in quite a bit of “future value” to try and win in 2005-06, very nearly pulled it off, came crashing to earth in ’06-07 and did a very credible rebuild in 2007-08 that wasn’t quite enough to get back into the playoffs in one year. But to simply say “Lowe’s teams haven’t made the playoffs for two years” without acknowledging what happened the previous year when Lowe fired and fell barely short, puts the “dis” in “ingenuous”. :)

//You can argue ’til the cows come home — and believe me, Dennis, you have :) — that Lowe shoulda got more for Pronger instead of cashing in his chips for a rebuild, //

Lowe didn’t realize at the time he made the Pronger trade how hard it was going to be to make trades or sign UFA’s in the “new” NHL. (Remember, he was coming off making the Roloson, Space, and Tarnstrom deals.)

How many Stanley Cups did Doug Wilson throw away in San Jose by not offering enough for Pronger?

Lowe made the Pronger trade because he mistakenly assumed that he would be able to make a trade for a veteran defenseman or sign a UFA, so he took the five assets.

Does it make the Pronger trade a good trade? No. But Lowe had a plan. It is just that the rest of the plan to replace Pronger got all f$^%$d up with UFA’s hesitant to come to Edmonton, and a frozen up trade market.

The Pronger trade was a bad trade, but it was a forced trade, and Lowe was unable to execute the followup thing he hoped he would be able to execute to ameliorate the loss.

Yep, it turned into a fiasco, but Lowe has recovered exceptionally well from that fiasco, so I think he can been forgiven for it.

20. raventalon40 says:

This is what the trades work out to after taking all the draft picks involved into account:

Oilers Give Up: Joel Gistedt, Chris Pronger, Tyler Myers, Travis Hamonic, Justin Shultz, Kirill Petrov

Oilers Get: Smid, Plante, Cole, Eberle, Allan Rourke, Penner

I italicized the important names. Now the question is, is Cole + Penner worth Pronger? (assuming the draft picks are and prospects are non-factors)

21. raventalon40 says:

After that, you have to determine which prospect collection is better:

What we gave up: Joel Gistedt, Tyler Myers, Travis Hamonic, Justin Shultz, Kirill Petrov (I forgot Jason Smith in here)

What we no longer have: Smid, Plante, Eberle, Allan Rourke, (I forgot Geoff Sanderson in here)

22. raventalon40 says:

Not that Smith and Sanderson are prospects but I forgot to mention them in my first post

23. Doogie2K says:

I thought we were talking on the order of multiple months for Hrabal? I seem to recall writing “four months” in my little song parody I did in the last post.

24. Dennis says:

Bruce: If you want to get saucy, I can throw down like that no problem at all:)

You can take all your time at your 12 step programs and hanging out under Lowe’s dress and I’ll just look at the standings.

25. Bruce says:

Just yanking your chain, Dennis. :)

But it pains me to think how differently we might all be looking at this if Game 7 in Raleigh had turned out differently. That one still fucking hurts.

26. Dennis says:

Bruce: The way I read it — rightly or wrongly — was I shouldn’t live the past and still keep harping about Pronger etc etc but you’re allowed to go back there and talk about how close we came in ’06.

27. Bruce says:

Dennis: Wrongly. But I see how you might read it that way.