Oiler Cut 3, Show some Compassion

The Edmonton Oilers sent down three today, forward Gilbert Brule and defenders Theo Peckham and Taylor Chorney. They did not send out Rob Schremp, as a death in his family recently meant he had other things to attend to and the Oilers waited a day to send him down (deadline is Wednesday afternoon).

Mathieu Roy and JF Jacques are likely headed to IR so will avoid waivers at this time. There’s a slight chance Roy will be sent down so the Oilers can get him through waivers when passing under the radar might be a little easier (there are some famous players on waivers right now).

I still think the Oilers could be active. They have several trade options:

1. The three goalie system is still bothersome to the overall makeup of the roster.
  2. The gap between Smid and Peckham/Chorney is not as wide as was expected before camp.
  3. The team still needs a veteran right handed center for the 3line.
  4. One more veteran D would be a nice addition.

The Oilers are more balanced than they’ve been on takeoff than any other season since the NHL came back from the lockout. A couple of tweaks here and there and this team could be quality from G1, and in a division as close as the NW 2 points in October come in real handy come springtime.

52 Responses to "Oiler Cut 3, Show some Compassion"

//The team still needs a veteran right handed center for the 3line.//

I think what is called for is for Pouliot or Brodziak to seize/claim the job for themselves by playing well, and playing themselves off the fourth line.

Both have the tools. This job was made for Pouliot. He better stand up and grab it.

It is like MacT is waving a piece of red meat in front of two dogs, and teasing them with it, waiting for them to demonstrate that they are worthy of the reward.

3. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh thank pete.

I haven’t read the post yet, I’m just glad it’s here!

4. bookie says:

Nobody wants Roli unless you throw in a 1st round pick or something. He is a net liablility. Shremp is not enough to sweeten Roli up. They will either buy him out now or wait until Christmas and do so.

Does anyone know if Buying a player out half way through the year have any salary cap benefits? (as opposed to doing it at the begining of the year.

5. Sean says:

Agreed. I wonder if JDD gets the first backup job or Roli. I’d give it to JDD and see if he does well. Wouldnt be long before Roli started pouting.

Agreed. Chorney was more surprising than Peckham for me.

3. The team still needs a veteran right handed center for the 3line.

Your comment on the 2 points big. Pouliot or Brodziak might be capable but its gonna cost something. At the same time you cant develop them without putting them in those situations. Are we in development mode or win mode?

4. One more veteran D would be a nice addition.

Trade who? I’ve like Strudwick so far and dont like trading Smid yet.

6. Sean says:

Bookie: I dont think you can buy out Roli as he was 36 when he signed his contract so he counts against the cap no matter what.

Roli is a good option to have just overpaid.

7. Schitzo says:

Bookie – you can’t buy a player out partway through the season. That window closed over the summer.

(Not that it matters given Roloson was 35+ on signing)

8. Doogie2K says:

I thought the 35+ rule only applied to retiring while under contract (like the Dave Andreychuk situation in Tampa a couple of years back).

9. Dennis says:

Cole’s on a one year deal but every other contract and/or DOB tells us that this is yet another development year.

So, to that end, I’d give the 3rd line job to 51 or 78 but that hasn’t been done yet so perhaps it’s not even being considered as an in-house option.

10. Lord Bob says:

My main hope is that after MacIntyre gets holes the size of Buicks blown through him when the game speeds up to full NHL level, he’ll be sent down and the very impressive Mr. Brule will come back up.

//If MacT felt Pouliot was suited to that role, don’t you think TC would be a good place to see if it works?//

Psychobabble speculation mode ON:

I think he did at the end of last year with the Carbonneau comments. MacT obviously doesn’t want to give the job to Pouliot or Brodziak. From the looks of it, he wants one of them to reach out and grab it, by playing themselves into the role.

And if he auditioned them there during training camp, it might have made Brodziak and Pouliot too complacent, and discouraged Schremp and Brule.

Plus, he needed to give himself a third option by trying out Pisani there, and TC was the only time where he could audition Pisani for the job.

Plus, he needs to give Moreau the time to adjust to the fact or come to the conclusion that the best way he can help the team may be on the 4th line with Stortini and somebody else.

Sometimes one tries things that won’t work so the players will accept what will work.

But if I’m Marc Pouliot or Kyle Brodziak, I see a 3rd line centre spot available if I play great on the 4th line.

The fun thing about this club is the amount of NHL experience. Seriously, this team has some people who’ve been to war and that is important.

13. stubby says:

I may be one of the few, but I thought Roli actually moved better in the net thus far than he did last year. With those knee injuries sometimes it takes some time to get back to feeling normal. Someone the age of Roli and myself might take a bit longer.
    He let in a softie vs Calgary but it wasn’t because of he’s down and can’t get up, just went through the wickets.
    Not the traditional team make-up of only 2 goalies but I think having 3 is OK at the start of the year, if a deal comes up and we need a roster spot make that decision then. Something about Garon just doesn’t feel right, like he’s a groin pull away from having a bad year and most likely that would occur the day we dealt Roli or lost JDD on waivers.

14. jdrevenge says:

I think they’re stuck with Roli this year. He only has one year left on his deal and they still need to see if;

a.) Garon is a starter
    b.) If JDD is a backup

Suprised not much has been made of Brule getting sent down… If Schremp gets sent out as well Springfield could be a fun place to watch hockey this year.

15. Asiaoil says:

I think your assumption about the gap between Smid and Chorney/Peckham being small is off my friend. Based on what – pre-season games? If that’s the measuring stick than the gap between Horcoff and Schremp is small. Chorney and Peckham are nowhere near ready for real battles instead of training camp scrums.

Suicidal to abandon Roloson when JDD has zero NHL games and a track-record of starting well and then having the wheels fall off part-way through a season. Garon could also get hurt and then we are pooched – we need to keep all three guys until after Christmas or even until the trade deadline and beyond if need be with AHL conditioning stints along the way.

As for the 3rd line center – of course MacT doesn’t want Brodziak or MAP in that role – he wants to win and putting a kid in that situation would not help. But if at the end of the day tomorrow Lowe says here’s your team – then he’ll make the best of it – and that will not include Pisani at center. But who knows what’s up with Lowe – every year he leaves some sort of ridiculous gap in the lineup and appears to hope it will all work out. I used to think it was about budget – but clearly that’s not the case anymore – maybe he just likes giving us something to bitch about or delights in tormenting MacT.

16. HBomb says:

Man alive, I wish the Oilers could find a way to fit Kyle McLaren into the structure of this team. Lord knows they could use that type of defenseman……

17. Vic Ferrari says:

AO:

Yeah, I’m not at all convinced that Roloson is done. For that matter I’m not at all convinced that Garon is a better goalie than Roloson.

Why they are insisting on keeping JDD around is beyond me, having three goalies on the roster is bad news. And there is no way in hell that they lose him to waivers if they send him down now.

18. doritogrande says:

“But if at the end of the day tomorrow Lowe says here’s your team – then he’ll make the best of it -”

I think you misspelled Tambellini.

19. Asiaoil says:

Hi Vic – yeah I don’t know where this idea that teams are lined up to claim a kid who never played an NHL game and took 4 years to become an average AHL goalie – supposedly McKenzie? Labarberra sailed through waivers 2 seasons ago in a similar situation – but his numbers in his previous AHL season blew JDD’s away. Giving JDD a one way contract didn’t make much sense either unless you want to discourage a waiver pickup.

20. Coach pb9617 says:

Easy there, Lieutenant Hyperbole. Roloson could easily move now, given the lack of solid goaltending at many stops around the league. However, I don’t think this team wants to deal him right now. And really, why should they? It’s not like he’s going to bring back a stud, but he is very serviceable as a backup and a veteran right now.

If things go bad with Garon or JDD, they have an option. If things go well, they send him to the team with the biggest need. Until then, they have enough kids with waivers left to move forwards back and forth to fill the roster.

21. Jonathan says:

Yeah, I mentioned the same thing the other day – the starter’s job is much more up for grabs than people seem to realize.

22. Schitzo says:

Doogie: I thought the 35+ rule only applied to retiring while under contract (like the Dave Andreychuk situation in Tampa a couple of years back)

The cap hit applies whether they retire, go to the AHL, get bought out, or are kidnapped by aliens. The only exception is if you can hide them on the LTIR, which is what the Devils did with Mogilny a couple of years ago.
    Of course, the league tends to look at you VERY closely when you start freeing up cap space by stashing old guys on the LTIR.

23. Coach pb9617 says:

Why in the world are you people trying to get rid of a goalie that could be a starter on this team?

It’s like HF boards invaded.

24. Lord Bob says:

Because…

a) Neither Garon nor Roloson is clearly better than the other.
    b) Garon makes under a million bucks per season and Roloson makes over three.
    c) Garon is thirty, Roloson is thirty-seven.

These, to me, add up to “if you trade anyone, trade Roloson”.

d) How many teams have had success platooning two average goalies vs. just riding one average goalie?

I think the answer is “not many”.

25. Schitzo says:

Bob: Sure, if someone puts a gun to Tambellini’s head and says “Choose which goalie you love best!”, we’re keeping Garon. But that’s not going to happen.

And can you point to a team that’s dumped one of their two platoon goalies and gone on to greater success?

San Jose was great platooning Nabby and Toskala, and they’re just as good now.

Colorado was awful platooning Budaj and Theodore, and for most stretches they were just as poor when they picked a firm #1.

Minnesota did fine platooning Roloson/Fernandez, and going to Fernandez alone didn’t result in much of a decline or improvement.

I think if you have two average goaltenders, you’ll end up with average goaltending. No surprise there.

26. Bank Shot says:

I could see Roloson having a hot streak or two, but I don’t see him winning the starting job. The guy hasn’t played well since the first quarter of 06-07.

He’s good for a softy a game these days.

Idon’t think the Oilers can move him now, but they shouldn’t even if they could. Roloson might be past his best before date, but JDD could be a disaster. I think they need to wait to game 40 at least to see what Garon does.

27. Lord Bob says:

Schitzo, I’m not saying “Garon over Garoloson is an upgrade”, but rather “Garon over Garoloson isn’t a downgrade”. When you pick up a veteran defenseman with the cap savings, you come out well ahead.

28. mc79hockey says:

Olczyk supposedly told some class at U of A that they know that JDD will be grabbed if they send him down. I have a hard time believing that myself. I’ve been meaning to take a look to see who has the room to take him but I have a hard time believing that a lot of teams don’t have better things to spend roster spots on at this time of the year.

I haven’t checked at who might claim Deslauriers, but do you really trust that “Quebecois” management in Colorado to leave him alone, since all they have is Budaj and Raycroft?

30. Schitzo says:

Bob: I get what you’re saying now. I’d agree with you, although I might grab a more expensive 3C over another defenceman.

31. Asiaoil says:

godot10….are you really saying that either Budaj/JDD or Raycroft/JDD is better than what they have now in net? I think it’s worse and that’s hard to do given how weak they are in net. Remember they have to keep JDD on their NHL roster the entire year or he ends up right back here. A tandem of Budaj or Raycroft with JDD sounds like a bus ticket to Lottery City to me.

32. Jonathan says:

Using that San Jose reference above, Shields/Nabokov was a much better tandem than Shields/someone else.

I don’t trust Deslauriers to hold the fort, and I don’t (at this point) trust Garon to not implode. Roloson is insurance, and disregarding price he isn’t bad insurance. If the Oilers really need to clear cap space, I can think of a few ways.

33. Jonathan says:

I’ll take JDD over Raycroft every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

But then again, I didn’t ink Raycroft to a contract as soon as he became a UFA either – I think Colorado’s goaltending is weak, but I think they’re going to give it a test drive before they grab someone else.

34. Black Dog says:

re: Raycroft – the Avs were successful with Theodore – maybe they figure the same magic will work on the ex-Leaf

35. Schitzo says:

Wait, when were the Avs successful with Theodore?

36. Dennis says:

Here’s the way I see things:

- Garon had some great stretches last year but I seem to remember — been awhile since I looked at his game-by-game splits — he was starting to fall down a little before he got hurt. I remember commenting that MacT was running the shag out of him so I think what I learned about Garon was he needs ~ 20 games off at least. And I think Roli can fill that right now better than JDD. I’m not sold on Roli carrying the mail anymore but I think he can take your route while your on vacation and his salary’s big and maybe could be used for McLaren but who’s gonna take DR at this point? And you know what else, we’ve missed the playoffs for two years now so I’d like to hang onto Roli as insurance.

- is there really a market for JDD if we waive him? I highly doubt it; though, like Ty, I haven’t really taken a hard look at tender depth league wide

- if we do lose him, is it a big deal? Sure, he’s a former 1st but couldn’t we see Dubnyk put up an ’09 similar to JDD’s ’08 and then all of a sudden we have depth again?

- is it a big deal if we keep three tenders for the foreseeable future? Sure, it won’t help JDD not to be playing a whole lot but that’s one concern and the other is that it takes a roster spot from one of the other two groups of players, forwards and D.

Well, three G means we’d only keep 13 forwards and 7 D and that means that guys like Schremp and Roy would lose out?

Once again, is that a big deal?

Roy’s star-crossed and can’t stay healthy and we have lots of kids down on the farm who can do what he would if needed in a pinch. Schremp’s shown improvement away from the puck but he’s not knocking down doors by any means. In the past I railed about us going on roadtrips without extra players — and in hindsight that was because the EIG was so fucking cheap — but in this scnario we’ll still have an extra forward and D so what’s the big deal.

JDD isn’t Brett Farve in Atlanta, Roy isn’t Steve Nash in Dallas and Schremp isn’t Brian Giles in Cleveland.

If we lose these guys by the waiver wire or we lose them mentally because there wasn’t a place for them to play, I don’t think it’s a big deal.

//are you really saying that either Budaj/JDD or Raycroft/JDD is better than what they have now in net? //

No. What I am saying is that Raycroft is easily replaceable for Colorado, and Raycroft would clear waivers easily.

38. Asiaoil says:

jonathan – so you would take JDD over Raycroft every day of the week and twice on Sundays…based on what?

JDD’s NHL track record which is….oh…zero? Or how about this AHL record which is…oh…stunningly average. Raycroft has been better at the same age as JDD throughout their careers – so what beyond pure optimism and speculation leads you to believe that JDD will suddenly be better now? It’s like saying that Rob Schremp would be better than Mike Comrie if only he got the chance – there’s just no substance to that argument.

39. Quain says:

JDD is an unknown quantity, he could suck, he could be decent.

Raycroft is a known quantity of exceptional suck.

If you have to choose between rolling the dice with JDD and employing Raycroft, you shoot Raycroft and run out JDD. If JDD fails spectacularly that basically means he’s done what Raycroft has done in the past three years.

40. Jonathan says:

Because we now have three years of NHL track record where Raycroft couldn’t crack the .894 SV% barrier – he isn’t an NHL goalie. Deslauriers is young enough that he might still be.

I’d be willing to risk Deslauriers on waivers, but if I had to pick between the two I take him over Raycroft every time.

41. Jonathan says:

And I was beaten to the punch, I see…

42. rickibear says:

3rd goalie in PB or 14th FWD in PB and the difference is?

43. Kev says:

Sorta adding to Dennis-
    I believe I remember your comments and/or a few others regarding MacT
    going hard with Garon.
    Wasn’t there an interview with Garon just awhile ago saying he would be working on how to endure a full season better? (I’ll be looking that up) I like Garon, he did well last year, but I’m not convinced. Yet.

True, Roli is older, but he doesn’t have the milage on him. He’s proved he’s a playoff warrior and not just here. A vetran with the extra gear still in him, showing at the end of last season.
    06-07 I thought he was MVP, I also remember what he had to play behind. I also kept in mind that when Pronger left, he screwed up a longterm plan and the D core had to be revamped. I forgot who commented once (here?) but agreed, I feel Roli’s years here kinda wasted.

Garon hasn’t proven but must be keen to shine, and Roli still has the jam for stretch runs. JDD needs some NHL games (given his rotten beginnings, I admire his attitude and fortitude to hang in there).

The whole situation is not ideal BUT could definitely be alot worse.
    And with the somewhat nasty beginning schedule to the season, perhaps this will prove to be a good situation to start out with afterall.

44. Asiaoil says:

….you guys miss the bigger point. You don’t want either JDD (totally unproven and mediocre AHL record) or a Raycroft clone (up and down NHL record but poor lately) when you have Roloson on the roster (proven vet with a good record – especially in tandems).

45. Jonathan says:

Oh for God’s sake. The question was Deslauriers or Raycroft, not Deslauriers/Raycroft or Roloson. To quote myself, from this comment thread:

So don’t give me that crap – I’m 100% on board with a Garon/Roli tandem over Garon/Deslauriers or Raycroft. You suggested that Raycroft was a better option. He is not.

46. Black Dog says:

schitzo – guy’s career was in the toilet and he had a decent year last year, not back to the old days but decent

I’m thinking the Avs figure thye can revive Raycroft’s career as well

47. Asiaoil says:

I didn’t suggest Raycroft – but even if I did – there is ZERO NONE NADDA proof that JDD is better other than your opinion.

48. Doogie2K says:

There’s also no proof he isn’t. That’s the point. We know Raycroft is balls; we don’t know that JDD is. I agree with Johnathan that it’s better, in theory, to take a chance on a goalie you don’t know, rather than going with one you can all but guarantee isn’t going to cut it.

49. Asiaoil says:

…and taking 4 years to be an average AHL goalie somehow qualifies you for an NHL job? JDD was like #14 in SP last year with lots of nameless journeymen performing better than he did. Raycroft as mediocre as he is is a far better bet than JDD to actually win games at the NHL level. Playing JDD could work out – but going with JDD instead of Roloson is a massive gamble for a team who has not made the playoffs in 2 years.

50. Quain says:

Taking four years to be an average AHL goalie in the Edmonton Oiler farm system apparently does qualify you for an NHL job. Case in point: JDD.

Raycroft isn’t mediocre. Roloson is mediocre. Raycroft is awful. If he were an Edmonton Oiler last season he would’ve had a 3.89 GAA. He had a 3.92 GAA last season on Toronto, on that same crappy team Toskala had a 2.74 GAA. I absolutely believe you can win games with Raycroft… because offenses are capable of scoring five goals and because average means that games where he lets in one goal are offset by games where he lets in seven goals.

Now, again, if the argument is JDD vs Roloson, I take Roloson every day. If the argument is JDD vs Raycroft, I say we just suit up Pisani and see how he does.

51. Doogie2K says:

I think you have to be a bit fairer than that with the four years thing, considering two of them were spent sitting behind other teams’ prospects. You also have to bear in mind that the Falcons were playing an ECHL defence for part of last year due to injuries. I’m not saying this because I think he’s better than Roloson — there’s reason to believe that. I’m just saying the odds are good that he’s better than Raycroft.

52. zh01 says:

最新的深圳市房地产北京翻译公司了。深圳翻译公司搜索巨头谷歌、俄语翻译
    韩语翻译广州同声传译上个月成交量放大广州翻译公司上海翻译公司。,德语翻译,,但这种趋势能否持续,还令深圳各界忧虑。商务口译,料就在昨日下午稍晚时间,同传设备已经说明一切。翻译是一门严谨不容践踏的语言文化。同声传译,凡购买中国移动手机充值卡深圳同声传译翻译部署促进房地产市场健康发展措施出台,深圳翻译.深圳英语翻译 ,无需制作炫丽的界面和复杂的操作功能深圳日语翻译,中国移动后台词库和网络搜索资源来获得。一时间采访的开发商、地产中介、银行 广州翻译公司,用户的体验不能停留同声传译一扫而光”,接受本报广州翻译公司,韩语翻译的今天,同声传译偶尔会和翻译公司东莞翻译公司。在线翻译工具。法语翻译同声传译设备租赁,是会议设备租赁,一项调查显示法语翻译几乎将深圳地产的阴霾情绪同声传译设备租赁,是会议设备租赁深圳手机号码网,深圳手机靓号,有的用户同传设备出租会议同传系统租赁1—11月份报告昨日公布选择在线翻译会议设备租赁乘坐和所有客户一起分享奥运来临的喜悦。新疆租车,奥运喜充天”活动更多的是通过线翻译同声传译