Oilers at Ducks, G2/08-09

This is Anatoli Semenov. He was an Oilers draft pick back when they were winning Stanley’s and had a bit of a career. He played much of the 1990s in the show and started his career with the Oildrop.

There was a time in this fair land that an honest hockey fan couldn’t really work up a lather about the Ducks. They were kind of silly, from their uniforms to their performance.

Those days are gone. Shooting Ducks is now considered sport of the highest order and a win tonight would be music to Oiler fans.

A quick note about the team: they won the first game while playing horribly but said all the right things. If we see sloppy play tonight and for the rest of the week then the people who believe this is a playoff team (me) are going to have to re-think the position.

A few roster items are coming in to view: Jason Strudwick’s simple approach is a perfect match for the Huddy regime and he appears to have knocked Ladislav Smid’s icetime upstairs and into a glass. A good sign for the veteran, yet another warning bell for this generation’s Alexei Semenov.

The Oilers will be on the road tonight, so protecting the kids won’t be easy. I’m also interested in seeing how MacT uses that 4line, as they got a lot of minutes against good people (as outlined by Jonathan over at ON) in a home game.

MacT’s a smart guy, so he must have his reasons.

259 Responses to "Oilers at Ducks, G2/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Earl Sleek says:

Those days are gone.

Ugh, you obviously haven’t been watching the Ducks so far this year. Silly status would be a step up for the web-footed ones, based on results thus far.

2. doritogrande says:

Wonder who Maguire’s going to fellate this year. Could it be the old standard of Hemsky, the young kid on the block Gagner, or the grizzled vet Moreau? I say Gagner.

This is going to be a big game. I’m still not sold on this team as playoff calibre yet. If they can keep pace with the Ducks, I may change my mind.

All reports are that MacIntyre draws in today at the expense of Stortini. Makes no sense to me. If they want to be able to stand up to the likes of Parros and McIver why not have more guys that can chuck knuckles not named Moreau and Souray.

Here’s to hoping Penner gets some elevated PP minutes with Hemsky/Horcoff. After the second goal he scored Sunday I can feel confidant in saying he’s learning the Ryan Smyth role at an accelerated rate, thanks to some bitchin’ juggling skillz.

3. Doogie2K says:

That’s pretty clever, and something I wish I’d thought of myself. You need killer hand-eye coordination and reaction time to play the Smyth/Holmstrom game, and juggling is a pretty simple way to work on that.

4. Showerhead says:

earl: cherry picking karma, perhaps? we’ll have none of that! as a team that was lucky to win in the face of a huge shots disadvantage and 3 posts, Edmonton cannot afford to ascribe silly status to any foe.

5. Earl Sleek says:

I’ll tell you this stat about the Ducks, though. Dating back to the last playoffs, the Ducks have been horrific when falling behind.

The last eight times an opponent has taken a one-goal lead against the Ducks, the Ducks are 8-for-8 at extending that to a quick two-goal lead and 7-for-8 at extending that to a quick three-goal lead.

It’s a crappy formula that predictably yields crappy results.

6. Coach pb9617 says:

MacT’s a smart guy, so he must have his reasons.

I would love to hear them, because I can’t come up with a single one.

7. Coach pb9617 says:

Agreed, he was the best player on the ice in all facets for the Oilers and he needs his large ass parked in front for Hemmer and Scorecoff.

8. namflashback says:

LT, I speculated over on ON that MacT didn’t even bother to try to match out his forward lines — knowing that on this long stretch of road games, the 2 and 4 line were going to face a higher degree of QUALCOMP. Looks like the kids handled it okay. 78-51-46 got burned for a GA though.

9. Steve says:

The thing that I always remember about Anatoli Semenov are the ears. That, and for some reason I kept confusing him with Norm Maciver, who was an Oiler at the same time.

In my defense, I was eight years old or something.

10. Sean says:

I’d rather see Poo take a night off that Stortini. Stortini out means Sourray is next up to fight. Although 78-51 were effective on the PK so perhaps thats MacT’s logic.

11. doritogrande says:

“I’d rather see Poo take a night off that Stortini. Stortini out means Sourray is next up to fight.”

Strudwick? Isn’t this what we got him for?

12. Coach pb9617 says:

Strudwick? Isn’t this what we got him for?

Nope. We got him to be the reliable, steadying, stay-at-home rock on defense.

Apparently.

13. Dennis says:

Knowing MacT’s MO, the only reason why I can see him keeping in 78 as opposed to 46 is that he wants 78 around for his PK reputation.

How does that weigh when contrasted against 46′s toughness?

I’m not sure but that’s the only reason why I can see MacT employing one over the other.

BTW, I kept track of scoring chances for the opening game vs Col and I’ve posted my findings over at Ty’s site. I’ve also included Jon’s HTH work from that game and he was nice enough to take my info and go over the shiftcharts and do a final +/- for each player in terms of who was on the ice for scoring chances for and against.

Early thoughts are that the Kids were fed the soft min and did the job outchancing and that the 10 line saw the toughs and had a bad game.

14. Sean says:

Point taken on Strudwick. Missed him on the fight chain somehow. Still the PK reasoning does justify it. Maybe MacT is saying to Parros “you arent taking the easy out and fighting Stortini, meet the new guy”

15. Phil says:

Forget how Anaheim is playing – it’s not like the Oilers were lighting Colorado’s tits on fire the other night. Methinks that a single point tonight is a success. Looking ahead, if they can come away from the next 3 games with 3 points, that would really be something.

16. doritogrande says:

As odd as it sounds, Laraque just looks good in the blue and red. Seems he’s pretty popular in la belle province too.

17. Doogie2K says:

Seems he’s pretty popular in la belle province too.

He’s a media-friendly, outgoing Francophone. Manna from heaven.

18. HBomb says:

This is a nice pre-game ceremony and all, but by the time the game gets started, it’s going to be almost 6pm Edmonton time. The Oilers/Ducks game starts at 8pm.

Do you REALLY think TSN will flip over early so that we’ll see the start of the late game if the Habs game isn’t over?

I’ll say it in advance so that Dennis doesn’t have to….Stupid Cuntreal!

19. doritogrande says:

I miss Georges Laraque. Think MacIntyre can do that for us tonight? Good tilt between Laraque and Thornton in the early game.

20. HBomb says:

I like what Maguire was talking about better, how Laraque took on Chara as a member of the Penguins last year.

In other words….Chris Pronger, meet Steve MacIntyre….hey, a guy can dream, right?

21. doritogrande says:

hbomb:

To be honest, I’d much rather MacIntyre ran Corey Perry instead. Loudmouth little pissant.

22. HBomb says:

Perry would be my second choice.

Third would be Sami Pahlsson.

23. Traktor says:

“Looking ahead, if they can come away from the next 3 games with 3 points, that would really be something.”

We’re not going to give MacTavish another free pass again this year are we?

It’s time to raise those expectations.

24. HBomb says:

RE: BOS/MTL

Assuming the Oilers extend Garon and Cole at reasonable dollars beyond this year, I know EXACTLY who I want them to target in the UFA market next summer if he becomes available.

Mike Komisarek.

Deal off Grebeshkov, dump Staios and Moreau….I’m sure there’s ways to clear salary to make it work. He’d probably be requiring Regehr money over at least six years, but that’s the kind of D-man the Oilers could badly use.

25. doritogrande says:

I’m starting to see why Montreal’s being pimped as contenders this year. Boston’s actually got a pretty good team, but les habs are just feeding it to them shift after shift.

26. doritogrande says:

h-bomb:

Agree 100%. He’s got top-pair written all over him. Thinking of him with Gilbert for 24 minutes a night got me all worked up.

He’s going to get 5-mil from a team and be worth every penny.

27. Dennis says:

HB: I would Hope that TSN will use Tsn-A to show the start of the Oil game because, yes, it’s unlikely that the Cuntreal game will be over by then.

Just how much do the networks have and/or who had the foresight to believe they could show both games in it’s entirety considering that it was opening night for The Entitled?

BTW, one of the reasons why I hated HNIC was the pro-Leaves coverage by Cole and Neale but McGuire’s just as fucking bad when it comes to Mtl.

I will never forget the way he behaved last trade deadline day when he was all excited about a potential big move the Habs were about to make (he had the stupid awkward smile on his face when combined with the head nodding makes me think about your buddy in school who was sure that because a girl talked to him she wanted to date him). Him and lots of other people were talking about how Hossa as a Habs rental was a near lock.

Anyway, when the Pens picked up him, Macguire went back to the schoolboy persona to embody the newly scorned and he’s been petulant ever since regarding Hossa.

Years ago when the Expos were still en vogue, I’d listen to a lot of CJAD which is the major Mtl anglo radio station and also is the rights holder for Les Scabitants. I heard Maguire on there many times and you should never forget he’s a Habs fan first and foremost.

28. PDO says:

The good news?

We’ll have Cuthbert and Ferraro…

29. Dennis says:

Boston’s got a lot of skill up front but not enough size and the D is super suspect.

In Lang, Tanguay, Koivu and Kovalev, they do have more age up front than people give them credit for; Markov also has more GP than I’d bet people would bet on:) and Kommisarek’s in his third or fourth year.

So, yeah, they are loaded for bear no question.

30. HBomb says:

I sure as shit could live with Gilbert-Komisarek taking on the toughs and Souray-Visnovsky as pairing two.

Staios (and Moreau) are past their primes and if Lowe can move them off at some point and ditch the last two years on their deals, it would be smart.

As for Grebeshkov, yes, he’s improving, but I’m still not sold he’s got upside beyond a 4th defenseman, we’ve got what he brings in Gilbert and Visnovsky, and he’s a KHL flight risk.

31. doritogrande says:

To tie this in to the Smid development theory, Komisarek needed three seasons with AHL time (you could argue only two because the third was the lockout) before he reached the level of NHL player. He also didn’t seem to accomplish much in his first full NHL season (5 years after his draft year). His real coming out party was his 6th year after being drafted.

Ladislav Smid has time to become our own Komisarek. Though it’d be real, real nice to have our own.

I’d rather have Smid-Visnovsky as our 2nd with Souray-Strudwick as the 3rd next year, but that’s just me. A pairing of Gilbert-Komisarek would probably be the best thing going since Lidstrom-Rafalski.

32. Jonathan says:

He’s a media-friendly, outgoing Francophone. Manna from heaven.

Who punches people. Don’t forget that he punches people.

33. NBOilerFan says:

hbomb: “They’d have to go cheap on the 3rd set (say Strudwick-Smid), but I say it’s worth it.”

You meant Chorney-Peckham…. right! ;-)

34. spOILer says:

Re: Komisarek

Tyutin was once available, which kind of pisses me off. Komisarek-lite with a little more offensive upside. Over a year younger and only 45 less games played.

I hope we see better timing and a little more spirit tonight.

And Pouliot between Penner & Pisser. Or else we're going to see little of the 4th as the game goes on.

35. doritogrande says:

Updates to the All-star game are already being discussed. To me, the most important idea discussed:

Giving the All-stars a Rolex to show up.

Is it this bad that we’re forced to give our stars a ‘bonus’ to get them to show up? That’s pitiful.

36. doritogrande says:

No overtime, please.

37. Phil says:

Isn’t that just a little bit generous?

Completely off topic, I sure hope Tambellini can talk Risebrough into a straight up Gaborik for Sugartits swap.

38. Coach pb9617 says:

Toby Petersen with an amazing play and then assist.

Make sure to check the Stars highlights tonight.

39. doritogrande says:

FUCK! Overtime.

40. T. says:

No overtime, please.

You were saying?

41. doritogrande says:

“Isn’t that just a little bit generous?”

We’d have to wait until they’re in the 35 year-old range to close that chapter. Dare to dream though.

42. doritogrande says:

“t-minus 20 minutes til the game’s supposed to start. With the score 3-2 Montreal, there’s no way they’re cutting away to the West Coast.

No overtime, please.

You were saying?”

It’s a sign. The hockey gods are telling me to keep working on my limnology paper. Damn hockey gods.

43. NBOilerFan says:

Getting set to drop the puck in Anaheim.

44. NBOilerFan says:

Just interviewed Pronger… my god he looks different sporting that beard.

They are now onbserving a moment of silence in memory of Alexei Cherepanov.

The anthems are being sung… looks like this will drag out long enough to not miss anything on TSN.

45. Oilman says:

“I heard Maguire on there many times and you should never forget he’s a Habs fan first and foremost.”

remember when the habs picked Price and McGuire went right off the deep end…he said something like the pick was “right off the reserve” or some such. And Price is part native right? that right there should have been enough to get that little weasel off the air.

46. PDO says:

Game live on TSN2.

47. Dennis says:

Miller just said puck’s gonna drop in Ana at 1147 nst and you can see it’s beginning on TSN2; of course, TSN will go right there as well as soon as Mtl beats Bos in the SO.

I’ve broken out the Kommisarek/Smid comparison before; but I broke it out to show that offensive stats don’t always translate. It was once thought that Smid would have an offensive clue in the NHL but I saw Mike K in the A and that guy just controlled all aspects down there and he’s brought nothing offensively to the bigs.

And neither has Smid for that matter.

48. HBomb says:

Just interviewed Pronger… my god he looks different sporting that beard.

So instead of a cunt, he’s now a hairy cunt, eh?

OH COME ON! You guys were thinking it, you just didn’t say it!

And of course, MTL/BOS going to a shootout….watch this go about 12 rounds.

Thank GOD! Oilers/Ducks on TSN2….beautiful!

49. kinger says:

This might be ugly…

50. NBOilerFan says:

The puck has dropped in Anaheim…

… the Ducks forechedck hard in the first coupel minutes. Then teh Oilers came back and Grebs almost scored on a beauty Nilsson feed.

51. HBomb says:

BAM! Horcoff and die! 1-0!

52. kinger says:

Scorecoff!

53. doritogrande says:

Ryder can’t get it done. Canadiens win. Price stops 3 of 3.

GOILERS!

54. doritogrande says:

sonofabitch. I missed a goal already!? Whahappened?

55. T. says:

Wow! That’s one serious delay on CHED.

56. doritogrande says:

I forgot Moreau had wheels. Pisani’s flying too.

Fuck. Who’s Kent Huskins? Are we about to get Stempniaked?

57. Coach pb9617 says:

Please split up 44 and 71.

Please.

Please.

58. PDO says:

3 points on that GA:

#1) Fantastic play by Pisani to pick that puck up and move it north.
    #2) I don’t care if Moreau is Moreau… he has to bury that. No excuse.
    #3) Why the hell did Visnovsky try to jump that puck? Not really a pinch per say… but all he had to do was keep skating backwards and there’s nothing to worry about on that play….

59. HBomb says:

Apparently Anaheim is the only team in the league without a powerplay goal yet.

Which guarantees they’ll score like three tonight.

60. raventalon40 says:

They’ll fight hard for that first win. Hopefully our boys will fight them off. I will be in class until 9:30 and will miss most of the game…

:’-(

61. Coach pb9617 says:

#2) I don’t care if Moreau is Moreau… he has to bury that. No excuse.

Which is why they should have the Poo on that line.

Especially knowing that “Wheels” Souray is behind you…

62. doritogrande says:

Ray Ferraro is like a calming influence on me. I’m going to miss having him for every second Oiler telecast.

63. HBomb says:

Offside on a clear 3-on-2 by the top line.

Sloppy.

Little things that make a difference.

64. HBomb says:

#2) I don’t care if Moreau is Moreau… he has to bury that. No excuse.

Betcha Glencross buries that….at 60% of the cap hit too.

I’m not sayin, I’m just sayin….

65. HBomb says:

Tracking the matchups so far…

Horcoff line vs. the Pahlsson line.

Pisani line vs. Getzlaf line.

Kid line vs. Selanne line.

66. kinger says:

44-71 CONTINUES to be a gong show.

67. doritogrande says:

Over/under on shots on the night? This continues I'm confidant in saying <20.

It's an entertaining game, but I think I'm growing greys watching the lack of defense.

68. HBomb says:

Souray after Getzlaf. Now THAT would be fun to watch…..guess that’s in response to the late stab that Getzlaf took at a puck that Garon appeared to have frozen…..

69. Coach pb9617 says:

PLEASE SPLIT UP 44 and 71!

70. T. says:

Is it me or does Pronger make the kid line look especially wee?

71. PDO says:

That’s a penalty?

72. HBomb says:

As for the team defense….it’s a clusterfuck out there. No other way to put it.

This team needs a Kyle McLaren.

And now a fucking chintzy hooking call on Nilsson. If anything, that’s a penalty on the “bearded clam”.

73. PDO says:

There’s the even-up for the phantom.

74. doritogrande says:

“bearded clam”

I prefer the term unshaven pussy.

75. HBomb says:

I prefer the term unshaven pussy.

As I said above, Hairy C. Unt.

Call it what it is.

76. RiversQ says:

Penner is playing very well in the o-zone. He really is like Laraque with hands and a clue. I can do without his work in the other zones though.

77. PDO says:

Ray: Do you see the A on Getzlaf’s jersey? He’s supposed to be a leader on the Ducks and that is his seventeenth penalty minute….

Cuthbert chimes in: He does lead the Ducks in PIM!

Bwhahaha.

Shots don’t tell the whole story… we had quite a few missed shots on five bell chances from what I saw. Fucking Moreau has to bury that puck though.

78. HBomb says:

Ok, the problems consist:

Outshot 12-5.

5W-11L in the face-off circle.

Problems.

79. HBomb says:

Hmm, Horcoff on pace for 82-goal season. Interesting.

80. Quain says:

It would be nice if Hemsky showed up at one of these games eventually.

81. doritogrande says:

The Bruunstrummian one with two goals tonight. Might actually live up to his extreme hype.

82. Coach pb9617 says:

Outshot 12-5.

Eh. The Oiler chances were beauties. Mandlebaum junior screwed the pooch.

83. doritogrande says:

Deslauriers is the listed back-up for tonight’s game. I’m not sure, but are they doing this stupid “backup rotation” thing that we saw in the Playoffs behind Roli again? Does MacT not remember how much that cost us?

84. Coach pb9617 says:

Yeah, that’s the guy that Lord Toby assisted.

Hoo-baby. This is like cheering for the guys playing against the Harlem Globetrotters. I sure hope MacTavish is watching this game.

86. T. says:

Yeah, remember Hemsky? He seemed like he might be good someday…

87. honkey says:

HAT TRICK BRUNNSTRÖM!!
    Amazing debut.

88. Dennis says:

Neither of 44 and 71 wants to be “the” defenseman on their pairing.

Break ‘em up.

No one looks interested in playing defense.

Bad GA by Garon and then bounces back with a couple of dandy saves

All of the 10 line looks to have jump, Kids have confidence and the 4th line misses Glencross.

89. T. says:

Sorry… I know it’s the second game but Hemmer just seems awfully “floaty” so far… including the preseason when I was giving him the “it’s preseason” as an excuse.

90. HBomb says:

Yeah, remember Hemsky? He seemed like he might be good someday…

Cripes guys, it’s four periods into the season. That whole line looks out of sync.

Signed, the guy joking about an 82 goal season for Horcoff…..

91. T. says:

Wow. Toby’s got a pretty dandy linemate there. Career year for Petersen?

92. Matt says:

Visnovsky is worse defensively than Pitkanen. Huddy is going to have to have a word with him.

93. HBomb says:

Souray with Staios

Gilbert with Visnovsky

Grebeshkov with Strudwick

Would that make more sense?

Between Souray, Gilbert, Visnovsky and Grebeshkov, we’ve got too much of “that”, even though Souray’s skill-set (besides the shot) would fit the mould of “stay at home” guy…..he’d do this team a real service if he turned into Jason Smith with a slap-shot over the next, oh, 48 hours….

94. HBomb says:

Pitkanen was never bad defensively to start with (no matter what horse-shit the error statistic might say), and he was playing the toughs.

Visnovsky’s no slouch and isn’t awful defensively, but him and Souray together is just a bad fit.

95. T. says:

I love that Gilbert had to “scamper” back… what is he Bambi?

96. doritogrande says:

“I love that Gilbert had to “scamper” back… what is he Bambi?”

Is Grebeshkov Thumper or the horny skunk?

97. DBO says:

winning a faceoff or two would be nice. Hope it’s not a trend. The kids are almost too creative as they tend to pass too much. And cole is clearly not comfortable on the off wing.
    Any guesses as to how long he keeps the lines this way?

98. Coach pb9617 says:

lifeless….

99. doritogrande says:

Crap. Beer me.

100. Coach pb9617 says:

Move your feet boys. Watching that little black puck won’t move it, unless you are Scott Baio and you just got zapped.

101. HBomb says:

Rob Niedermayer? Fuck me.

Buchberger’s Springfield Staios-Style Strategy (hammer it around the boards) fails miserably.

102. Coach pb9617 says:

Souray with Staios

Gilbert with Visnovsky

Grebeshkov with Strudwick

Would that make more sense?

Souray and Staios is like wondertwins activate, form of hitless tough guy!

103. DBO says:

worst camera guy ever. giving me a head ache.

104. PDO says:

Just beered me.

Cole was terrible on the GA…

105. RiversQ says:

When Penner is on the forechecking is too much to ask him to at least seal off Montador there? Realistically he should have pounded him into oblivion but I’ll settle for “pressure”.

106. Coach pb9617 says:

Any guesses as to how long he keeps the lines this way?

Week or two at least. Have to give everyone a chance.

That’s when he realizes that Moreau is a fourth line player. Penner and Pisani are awesome at holding onto the puck and moving it cleanly. Moreau crashes in and turns it over.

Lack of chemistry is painful to watch, but if you’ve watched the Pens thus far, you’ll see Crosby is in a world of hurt trying to make it work with Satan and Fedotenko. They moved Dupuis up with Satan and Crosby last night and it helped, but only marginally.

107. RiversQ says:

Ugh, brutal writing there but you get the point.

108. DBO says:

does that count as a shot?

109. Coach pb9617 says:

Cole was terrible on the GA…

He’s not a LW. LT and I told the fanbase that in July :)

110. HBomb says:

Penner is among the least of this team’s worries right now Cam. Bigger issues, strategic (i.e. line combos) and systemic. Not to mention the lack of a proper 3rd line center and the need for a steadying blueline influence….

111. T. says:

We’re getting brutalized in the face off dot. Oddly % wise Fernie is doing ok…. comparatively.

What’s going on with Horc? He’s usually pretty steady on faceoffs.

I think Hemsky misses all his buds. I saw an interview with him where he talked about losing alot of friends this year…

112. PDO says:

Nilsson – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Cogliano – Gagner – Cole
    Penner – Pouliot – Pisani
    Moreau – Brodziak – Stortini

.. please?

113. danny says:

On pace for 12 total shots.

Thats what happens when:

a) You start 65-70% of every shift without the puck (losing a faceoff)

b) you have a roster of ‘puck movers’ that do very little puck retention, and force very few turnovers.

114. Pat H says:

riversq:

re: Penner

I don’t mean this as a slight against the guy at all, but I truly think that his pacifistic nature (Mennonite) precludes him from playing a la Bertuzzi circa 2002. He does not play with an edge, and he never will. I know, I know – he had a fight with Regehr last year (interestingly, another Mennonite). But that was more like a friendly wrestle. And again, I don’t mean this as an insult in any way. If that’s the way Penner plays, then that’s the way he plays. He has enough skill to get by with that.

What does upset me, however, is the possibility that Lowe was banking on Penner becoming something that he clearly isn’t, and never will be.

115. doritogrande says:

Oilers PP.

The unshaven pussy with the minor.

116. HBomb says:

The unshaven pussy with the minor.

Ok, this nickname is going to stick around.

117. HBomb says:

Even the damn powerplay is disorganized. This is hard to watch.

118. PDO says:

Why don’t we just call him Bush?

119. HBomb says:

Unshaven pussy back to the box.

Hehehe, double entendre.

120. Tyler says:

I’m working up a monster post on the Oilers PP and why I’m not as wild about this edition of the Oil as everyone else and they’ve been astonishingly bad at generating shots on the PP for two years now. If there’s a damning mark on MacTavish, it’s the continual inability to figure out a way to get the zone and generate shots.

121. doritogrande says:

Alas, so many nicknames, only one douchebag.

122. T. says:

I love how the guy wouldn’t deign to grown a playoff beard when he played here and now his beard is earning him a delightful nickname. Seems abundantly fitting and fair.

123. HBomb says:

THANK YOU. I’ve been screaming for years it’s the system that’s the problem and not the personnel….even in the Pronger year with Smyth/Hemsky, they were only 15th in a 30 team league. In other words, mediocre.

They’re the antithesis of the Habs. They lost Souray and didn’t skip a beat.

124. Tyler says:

Well, that and the Criminal Code.

Dodgers go quietly into that good night. FU Rick Monday, and the horse you rode in on.

126. doritogrande says:

Souray’s bomb?

I think not. Still counts though.

127. Tyler says:

Well it’s kind of hard to say for sure, but I just don’t know what to make of Hemsky. He seems to turn it over a ton gaining the zone. He also loves to play pitch and catch on the outside. I think I’m nitpicking a bit – he’s been insanely productive on the PP since the lockout but that troubles me.

128. HBomb says:

Seconded, despite the fact that Blue Monday happened four months before I was born…..

129. Coach pb9617 says:

Kid line is still fine.

130. Tyler says:

If my powers on the home team in Boston are real, the Phillies are well and truly fucked when I show up for the WS.

131. Pat H says:

Well, that and the Criminal Code.

lol. Thanks Tyler. Throw Bert a bone though – that was 2004, after all.

132. HBomb says:

You know when it looked the best with Hemsky? After the trade deadline in 2006 when they overloaded the one side with he and Samsonov.

Maybe they need to do the same thing with him and Gagner, plant Penner’s ass in front, let Visnovsky play the far side and sneak in a la Spacek, and then put Souray on the left point?

Then, do the same thing on the other unit, but use Cole in front, Horcoff and Nilsson overloading the right side, with Grebeshkov and Gilbert on the points. Same idea, just “flipped”…..

133. HBomb says:

Red Sox in seven. Gut feeling.

Well I’m happy with the WS winner any way it slices now. BOS had a long wait and for those older folks who remember the bad days why the hell now (although the younger BoSox fans appear to be dinks just as much as Yankees fans are. Frontrunners are stool), the Phillies have a wonderful history of sorrow (except for 1980 and Mike Schmidt) and Tampa Bay deserves it just so the fans can die of shame.

135. RiversQ says:

Actually the Oilers PP in 05/06 was easily top ten in terms of scoring rate.

Tyler’s right though they don’t generate enough shooting opps. They are moving the puck a little slowly tonight especially at the point with Souray there.

136. B.C.B. says:

This is painful to watch: we NEED MacBlender, I never thought I would say that. but I agree with the rest of you (or most of you) Penner to Hocorff and Hemskey and cole anywhere else. Please put Penner back on the power play

137. HBomb says:

It’s almost like having Souray back there gives the whole PP tunnel-vision. All they’re doing is looking to set up THE SHOT.

I’d like to see them get Gagner and Hemsky on the same unit. I get the idea that 89 is going to put up some disgustingly awesome PP rates once he starts getting first unit time….

138. Tyler says:

I hate to say it but there were a lot of dbags at Fenway last night. I got a picture of this guy with a glorious moustache, hair down to his shoulders and a sleeveless shirt to show off his pipes. Most of our section was shitfaced – fair enough, it was a terrible game – but they didn’t know it would be when they showed up hammered. I need to throw up my picutres.

With that said, there’s no better place to spend an evening than Fenway Park.

139. Dennis says:

I actually like this idea of SMac as the 12th forward knowing that he won’t play much and you can give some of the top six an extra shift here and there.

You could honestly see an extra jump in the legs of 51-78 when 83 was out there.

The Oil gradually started to take control of the game and now you wonder whether Ana can find it again.

And, yes, I pimped 71 and his EV stats a couple of years ago but he’s not off to a good start to say the bloody least.

Souray is Souray; or at least he is to me.

The again, I actually watched him play before he became an Oiler so that might seperate me from guys like Lowe and everyone else who thinks he’s an all-around dman.

140. doritogrande says:

We had 12 shots in the second period.

What?

141. Julian says:

I can’t imagine Penner’s pacifist nature is getting in the way of him playing rough. Has it stopped Regher? It may stop Penner from literally going to war, but if he’s the type of player to pound the crap out of someone, he’s gonna do it. His Mennonite beliefs (if he has them) may prevent him from being the type to sucker punch people in the back of the head, but I’m ok with that.

142. Ichiro says:

primetime is showing a “day in the life of eric cole” showing his million-dollar house, shopping in Future Shop, driving the Honda Odyssey down Stony Plain Rd.

143. Dennis says:

I’ve asked for this before but what do the numbers say about the success of our PP with 83-89 together?

I seem to recall they clicked last year and fuck the two units: but 83-89-27 together and go from there,

144. kinger says:

Just a few thoughts:

- 44-17 is a joke.

- As Dennis mentioned, 78 and 51 had some real jump with 83 on their line.

- I hate to say it but 18-34-27 has been decent tonight.

- In the two games so far the kid line has been solid.

- 24 is having another rough game.

- I like the 37-77 pairing. 37 with his usual gaffs but also some nice plays. A very strange player.

- You hardly notice 43, and that’s a good thing.

145. doritogrande says:

It’s been mentioned before, but why can’t we double-shift Hemsky on the Powerplay? The best powerplay producers are out there for huge powerplay minutes. The Ovechkins, Crosbys and Kovalchuks come immediately to mind. I think Hemsky’s (usually) that kind of player on the powerplay.

Why not let him have his two minutes straight, half with 10-26, the rest with 89-27.

146. HBomb says:

Dennis, I know I’ve said this before, but if you’ve got one killer unit playing 90 seconds of every 2 minute PP and they’re producing, who gives a damn about the second unit?

Hell, it gives you the opportunity to play Horcoff-Cole at the ass-end of the powerplay and take on the tough sledding that usually immediately follows a man advantage….

147. doritogrande says:

Is 38% on the faceoff dot a good thing?

Based on Sunday’s performance, at least we’re improving. …Right?

148. HBomb says:

Ok, by my count, the Oilers have had the post-gods on their side SIX times through less than two games…..

149. Loxy says:

It’s terrible to watch us running around after every lost faceoff.

150. doritogrande says:

See. Much better when we leave Souray alone.

PP goal Visnovsky.

151. Coach pb9617 says:

Gilbert – Souray
    Grebs – Lubo
    Staios – Strudwick

152. HBomb says:

Well holy shit, that power-play was ultra-effective. Horcoff going Smythian in front….

And Corey Perry was in the box for it. Even better.

153. Tyler says:

Horcoff/Niedermayer is one of my favourite battles. That moment in the 06 WCF, when Horcoff just ate him up in a footrace…great stuff.

154. Bruce says:

- 44-17 is a joke.

Kinger: 17 is retired. I know who you mean, but LV is 71 in Edmonton.

How about this defence combination?

Grebeshkov – Gilbert
    Souray – Staios
    Smid – Visnovsky
    [Strudwick]

Absofuckinlutely. That trio had great chemistry down the stretch last year. Penner led the team in PP goals and he’s not on either unit? Whazzup with that??

155. HBomb says:

Perry snows Garon, Moreau headlocks Perry.

Next time Ethan? Just punch him. Totally worth the 2 minutes.

156. doritogrande says:

Corey Perry is going to put some poor california woman in jail for pedophilia.

157. doritogrande says:

I think Kinger’s been playing too much NHL09. Visnovsky’s #17 there. And Brule’s 7.

158. danny says:

Minus a terrible first 25-30 games, EDM had one of the better powerplays in the NHL last season. I think they were above 20% through the final 50 games which puts them in the leagues top 3.

Where in between do they belong?

Interested in your analysis MC.

159. HBomb says:

Between not knowing what Oiler numbers are retired and who got put on the cover, I refuse to even rent said video game on principle.

160. Tyler says:

Cole’s Notes: It was all shooting percentage. 11.9% through the first 42 games, 19.2% therafter. Shooting percentage has on predictive value from one half of a season to the next, or at least it hasn’t in 2005-06, 2006-07 and 2007-08. I think that they caught a run of good cards. Their shooting rate barely moved during the good streak – just horrible throughout. As they were the year before.

161. HBomb says:

On this note, a memo to Tyler…I’d love to see some sort of “split” on the Oilers PP performace with and without Souray last year. I seriously think they may have been more effective without him in the lineup….

162. speeds says:

One thing I don’t understand about the NHL is why they allow things like Perry spraying ice in the goalie’s face.

There’s no value added from that, nothing good is going to come from that. Why is that not an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty every time that happens.

Admittedly sometimes a guy can’t help it to avoid hitting the goalie, so it’s a judgement call, but there’s not reason to allow that.

163. doritogrande says:

Dynamite shift by Pouliot. Kid looks like he wants to keep his NHL job this time.

164. speeds says:

Pouliot’s had really good period on the forecheck, he’s stripped the D of the puck a couple times.

Would have been nice for the Oilers to get a goal out of that hard work by Pouliot, Pisani, and Brodziak.

165. HBomb says:

Well, the goalpost Gods evening things up….two posts on ONE shot…

I’ll say this: the Oil have gotten a lot better over the course of this game. More shots, more chances. It is sure high event out there though….

166. T. says:

What is this odd surge of intensity I see before me.

Can Brodziak, Pouli and Pies stay together?

167. gary b says:

some guys are waking up finally.

another nice game from Chopper. Horc and Cole are comin’ on, too.

168. danny says:

ok this means something because ive never been one of you poo shills around here…

But the game has slowed for him. He looks up to speed, finally and hes letting his head into the play. hes looking like a player tonight.

THAT would be huge for this team moving forward.

169. HBomb says:

There it is again. Pouliot and Pisani with the chemistry we’ve seen before….take notes MacT!

170. Loxy says:

Well, that was 2 minutes of brilliance. It’s really too bad nothing could go in.

171. doritogrande says:

“What is this odd surge of intensity I see before me.

Can Brodziak, Pouli and Pies stay together?”

Think man. That’s three damn centers on the same line. Of course it’ll happen.

172. B.C.B. says:

SMac 5 shifts, 3:07 ice time, 0 hits, 0 fights: why do we have him? Why isn’t huggy bear dressed?

173. Loxy says:

I think Pouliot is buoyed by the Hot Off round win.

174. honkey says:

Nilsson having a great 3rd period too. Ducks looks tired and this should be a win now.

175. Phil says:

Say what you want about the Harry Cbomb/Bearded Clam, but we have him to thank for those two weak penalties in the second that turned the momentum. Seems like chemistry is setting in.

WHL HIJACK:

- Plante 0-2-2 even in 7-2 win over Prince George

- Eberle with a goal at Rexall tonight.

176. RiversQ says:

Great work from Pouliot this period. He’s winning puck battles and getting first to the puck. Good choice keeping him in the lineup.

177. HBomb says:

In a roundabout fashion, this makes the fourth line better.

If Stortini was in, MacT would just roll over four lines and not think twice. With Smackintyre “in” the lineup and guys like Hemsky, Nilsson and Pisani taking double shifts with 51-78, that “line” is way more dangerous, at least from what I’m seeing.

178. doritogrande says:

Phil: Thanks for the update man. I was meaning to check those stats earlier. Of note: Eberle had the only two Regina goals last night also. 3 in his last two games is pretty impressive.

179. HBomb says:

Anyone got a beat on the scoring chances tonight?

I haven’t been counting, but the Oilers appear to be grossly outchancing Anaheim in the 3rd period.

Big save Garon.

180. doritogrande says:

A serious question: Is anyone missing Ladislav Smid from the Oilers tonight? Strudwick’s taken his job and ran with it.

181. T. says:

“Lack of Quack”? Really?

Nilsson looks good. Brodziak just always looks good – he’s like Fernie, at worst he’s not noticeable at best you notice he’s doing all the little things.

Pouliot really does look like a different guy out there lately.

182. doritogrande says:

Clusterfuck!

Great save Garon. MacT better be calling Timeout.

183. doritogrande says:

Can we bring Marty Reasoner out from the bullpen now?

Seriously, we HAVE to win this draw.

184. Phil says:

He’s off and running so far this year:

7-4-11 +4 in 9 games so far.

185. T. says:

There was in interview with Eberle on the TEAM earlier. It was pretty entertaining in that God that kid loves playing hockey – he was also talking about being comfortable in Rexall what with playing there already. I love that kid – he’s going to be golden.

Please let us hold on to this game.

186. gary b says:

i don’t think Garon has bones. he’s like one of those Halloween wall skeletons with the rivet-y legs

187. gary b says:

nice, lucky win.

makes me wanna shed a Lubo-tear.

188. HBomb says:

2-for-2.

WHAMMY.

Take that Pronger, Perry, Pahlsson, et al!

189. Loxy says:

Can we bring Marty Reasoner out from the bullpen now?

Who cares about faceoffs.

Heh.

190. Quain says:

Two games in a row ending in wins where we either took the lead late or held onto a late lead?

I don’t even know this team anymore.

191. T. says:

Ha! Phil – I thought for a minute you were talking about Reasoner!

Yay we won! That last bit was actually somewhat encouraging.

Comparatively.

192. doritogrande says:

Not pretty by any means, but I think MacT may still have lipstik left.

Interestingly enough, is this the team everyone told me about in the preseason? Because I could get to like this team.

193. B.C.B. says:

hbomb:
    having stortini in instead of SMac, doen’t mean MacT can’t double shift players when he feels like they have to get into the game ( you are right Hemsky played better after getting his leg moving on the fourth line), but it does mean we have some level of pest/enforcer that can play and hit.
    I do not think SMac makes the line better: Hemsky/Pisani/Nilisson does, I don’t have a problem dressing and sitting huggy bear for a few shifts. Unless you have another Hem/Pesani/Nilisson you and the oilers are hiding.

194. Bank Shot says:

“In a roundabout fashion, this makes the fourth line better.”

I agree Hbomb. The Oilers have 11 forwards that can play hockey, and Hemsky and Horcoff were the only ones to get 20 minutes.

No Stortini means more icetime for all the guys that are better at hockey then him. MacIntyre still gives the Oilers the nuclear threat, that Stortini provided. Oh wait… he doesn’t provide that at all.

I won’t be upset to see Storts back in the lineup, but I don’t think anyone could make a good case that it hurts the team when he’s absent.

195. Coach pb9617 says:

Poo lee ought had a helluva game tonight except for one shift when his line couldn’t clear the zone.

196. Bank Shot says:

I mean Stortini didn’t provide the nuclear threat.

197. Scott says:

I’m pretty sure that the way MacT is using MacIntyre is exactly what he said he would do with him. He’s only going to play eleven forwards when Steve is in the line-up. Unless, of course, a message needs to be sent, in which case it will be sent in all its glory.

198. Phil says:

Sorry T… slow typer :(

Also got to listen to a bit of the Hitmen game on the radio tonight. It happened to be during the PP where Plante got an assist, and the broadcasters were raving about his physical play tonight. Healthy sign.

199. kinger says:

Anyone else see that rush Cole had down the RW? It didn’t lead to much of a scoring chance, but you could see a comfort level that he hasn’t been on display thus far.

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Gagner – Cogliano – Nilsson
    Pisani – Pouliot – Cole
    Moreau – Brodizak – Mac/Storts

Souray – Staios
    Grebeshkov – Gilbert
    Smid/Strudwick – Vishnovsky

We may be 2-0, but I think this lineup could have gotten there without a lot of the mistakes.

As for the 71-17 thing, I actually catched a ton of Kings hockey last year (fun team to watch), and still see that 17 on the back of Lubo’s jersey.

200. doritogrande says:

To continue on Phil’s report:

Kytnar held scoreless, 12 PIM.

Cornet with two goals. Now 3-5-8 in 7 games.

Newer Comments »