Oilers at Flames, Pre-Season G6

This is Marc Pouliot and some other guy. It’s among my favorite photos and to tell the truth Pouliot is among my favorite prospects, has been since the day they drafted him in 2003.

It’s impossible to cheer for a Sam Gagner or an Ales Hemsky the way a fan can cheer for a Marc Pouliot. Samwise and the Hemmer were touched by God, given something extra that makes it obvious they are on a higher level.

MacT told us in the daily fishwrap today that Pouliot had made the club (“And I like Pouliot, Brodziak and Stortini. So you’re looking at your 13th and 14th forward and your seventh defencemen.”) So that means we’re down to Brule, Schremp, MacIntyre for the 13th spot and possibly the 14th should the Oildrop figure out a way to get down to 2 goalies.

The “7th defenseman” slot is also interesting. I’ve long held that Ladislav Smid is not a 100% lock (although very close) and Jason Strudwick is certainly a veteran who spends much of his time on the bubble. The Oilers are impressed with Chorney and Peckham, reflected by their staying power this deep into camp.

The battles are winding down with some surprises still to come. One of them may be a trade. Oh and Mathieu Roy is hurt again. Lordy.

123 Responses to "Oilers at Flames, Pre-Season G6"

1. Black Dog says:

Good for Pouliot. I’d like to see him get a shot between Pisani and Cole. I think that would be a terrific line.

Its been a long road (and God knows he still hasn’t established himself fully) but here’s hoping that he’s learned a little bit about hard work – it will serve him well.

Peckham and Chroney have done well but I would guess they’ll go with the seven we have figured all along unless Strudwick is pencilled in as a forward. They’ll see time soon enough I would say.

Poor Roy. Jesus.

2. Traktor says:

Was that quote from the pregame?

3. Scott says:

Is Roy “injured” to avoid waivers, or injured and actually hurt? Do we know the problem?

4. B.C.B. says:

Does anyone know if the game is on the interweb, tonight, anywhere?

5. Dennis says:

It was said that Roy hurt his hand the other night during a fight.

It seems like 78′s made it but in today’s pregame scrum MacT commented on how Brule’s intriguing because he offers a little of what Glencross did for us last year; I don’t think 51 will be drawing the short straw anytime soon so I think this means 78 should be on alert.

I’m sure the Oilers have a contingency plan if 34 doesn’t wind up meeting their second-PVP-pivot-needs and I’d like to think that entails trading or signing a vet. If that’s not the case, past history says you’d give Pouliot that gig given how well he’s played with 34 in the past plus his GAON/60 history.

I don’t think that’s even a consideration, though, and as long as Brule goes out and bangs around in the last two games, Pouliot shouldn’t fooliot himself into thinking he’s anywhere close to being written in ink.

6. doritogrande says:

Is this pre-season for refs too, or are they going to be calling every little thing this season?

Didn’t Kiprusoff get lit up yesterday? Odd that he’d be playing so much in pre-season. They usually run him out of gas in February, you’d think they would try and keep him going as long as they could.

7. doritogrande says:

Gagner = Jesus. What a bloody pass.

Cogliano = Marchant.

8. doritogrande says:

Oooooohhhhh. There’s a ticket back to Springfield. Iginla makes Delauriers look real bad.

9. doritogrande says:

Maybe Kiprusoff needs some AHL seasoning too, based on previous logic. What’s with the terrible goals tonight?

I’m sure Cogliano will take it any way he can.

Interesting pace to the game tonight. Oilers seem to have their legs and are in it physically. I loved that 60-seconds or so when the Pisani line were running all over.

Even more impressive than the 2 goals, for sure. Chorney exposed a couple of times and the veteran D have been passing along gifts here and there so far too.

11. mjsh says:

Thankfully, this looks like a different team than Tuesday night. It was nice watching Penner et all hem the Flames in their own end even if it was the Roy line on the ice for the flames. How long until mcIntyre does something?

12. BenJammin says:

Glencross looks really good. I think he’s going to become the Flames version of Tyler Arnason.

13. doritogrande says:

To quote Lowetide from last year:

Pouliot gets a stat!

14. kinger says:

A goal by the potential fourth line.

15. doritogrande says:

That offensive creavity is something we didn’t see from Smid last year. Look at what’s been created by his rush. Cogliano was able to miss a wide open net!

16. doritogrande says:

I’m curious about whatever Garrett’s talking about with Iginla and the icing call. Anyone know what the old man’s bitching about?

17. NBOilerFan says:

My god… I forgot just how fast Cogs is.

18. HBomb says:

4-0 Red Sox, top of the first inning.

So far, not a bad Friday evening.

19. ryan says:

good to see brodziak getting one, he hasn’t been having the best linemates thus far. didn’t do to bad on the draw either, but we are asking a lot of them. how about grebs and lady on the rush….. a whole team of d men that lug the puck

20. Dennis says:

Maybe it’s just because the Oilers are playing better but this seems like more of an approximation of an actual regular season game.

Some thoughts:

- the 89 line has been on fire from the get-go with a few chances and a lot of shifts carrying the play.

- Not sure whether it was 67 or 88 but one of them created a chance right off the bat to a slot-positioned 67. As for 88, there was one play where he took the puck in his own end on the left wall and curled and then skated it out and it was the first time I could see tangible evidence that his skating has improved.

- MacT fools around a little and puts 78-51-46 back together and it results in a goal.

- One decent shift from the 34 line and then one outstanding shift; actually, 18 showed some jam right off the bat.

- I thought JDD was moving well but then he lulled a little bit on the Iginla goal and you can see why you’d rather have Roli as the back-up.

- The progression in Smid’s offensive confidence is clear for anyone to see but when it comes to defending, not so much. Some nice flashes from 37-77 but then mistakes that illustrate their age.

21. Dennis says:

HB: the Angels are the Atlanta Braves of the AL; if you hate them and want them to lose, just wait for the playoffs!

22. kinger says:

@Dennis:

By my eye his own zone work has improved. He still makes mistakes, but at least he now has the strength to win battles in the corners.

BoSox are an impressive team but can anyone beat the Rays. Their baserunners are all Jetsons.

6/17 35% in the FO circle so far tonight.

24. doritogrande says:

Dennis:

Yeah, it does look like Schremp’s skating has definitely improved. I agree completely with you on the play in question. Problem is, he hung on to it, and then hung on to it. He’s going nowhere in the NHL if he can’t/won’t use his linemates.

25. doritogrande says:

Pouliot an assist short of the Gordie Howe trick… in a single second.

26. NBOilerFan says:

… cue MacIntyre.

27. doritogrande says:

Hey MacT. I can read lips! That wasn’t PG-13.

28. Kara says:

i missed the play. pouliot is injured? how did this happen?

29. HBomb says:

Yep, Vandermeer is fighting again tonight.

Going after Pouliot is completely gutless on his part. Get MacIntyre’s on the ass right now to kick Glencross’ ass.

Dennis: nice comparison, Angels/Braves. Difference is, I like the Angels somewhat (Guererro = ex-Expo). But the Sox are number 1 for me.

30. HBomb says:

Frig, they didn’t even scrape the blood off the ice yet. That’s just wrong.

Oilers speed might be exposing a lack of mobility on the Flames blueline tonight…..a top six of Phaneuf/Regehr/Sarich/Aucoin/Giordano/Vandermeer isn’t exactly fleet-of-foot, IMO….

31. doritogrande says:

kara: Poo scored on the powerplay, then was forced to fight Vandermeer, who bloodied him up real good. Looks like he caught him just above the eye. Went straight to the lockerroom.

32. kinger says:

That Brule is one tough kid.

33. doritogrande says:

MacIntyre’s endearing himself to me already. Schremp 3-on-1 and it’s time for big #25 to go to work.

34. BenJammin says:

I love seeing Strudwick, McIntyre, and Stortini together. Even if it is in penalty box. What a gongshow.

35. doritogrande says:

did they just fucking *toss* MacT?

36. HBomb says:

Stortini, Strudwick, and MacIntyre all in the box at once. Team toughness indeed.

And now Schremp joins them. MacT just got tossed…WTF?

37. B.C.B. says:

What the hell happened? You go out for a smoke and the 630 Ched folks and barely get it right the first time, but they just mutter in the replay.

This is a beautiful game!!! Unless Pouliot bleeds to death I’m going to remember this game fondly for a long, long time.

Did Bertuzzi get hurt too? MAGIC!

39. doritogrande says:

Somewhere, Steve Moore is smiling right now.

40. doritogrande says:

PK looks good.

41. BenJammin says:

Holy crap.

42. HBomb says:

This is the worst fucking officiating since game 6 of the 72 Summit Series.

Well, maybe not….but shit, how many PP’s can Calgary get?

43. B.C.B. says:

Can MacT and Bily Moore switch positions (in the Press box and on the bench)? OR is it like soccer and the coach has to sit in the seats? can MacT go into the dressing room? Do you think Moore will show up on the bench, so you can have one coach running the defense, another the forwards, and the last one running the show?

44. HBomb says:

Give a team five straight PP’s, and that’s what will happen right there…..

45. Quain says:

Toby Petersen is coming out to replace MacT.

46. doritogrande says:

Ok. We all know that had to happen sometime. Deslauriers I think makes up for his earlier weak goal. The only penalities I want to see from the Oilers now are of the 5-minute or game misconduct variety.

47. doritogrande says:

quain with the line of the night.

48. NBOilerFan says:

Whats the record for the most 5-on-3′s giving up by a team in a game?

… I bet it was Oilers that set it…. and might break it tonight.

49. doritogrande says:

Pou’s back.

50. BenJammin says:

What’s the Oiler’s penalty kill at for the pre-season? Do they keep those stats?

Nice to see the CNIB sending refs to the NHL now.

52. doritogrande says:

“Nice to see the CNIB sending refs to the NHL now.”

Do they have parking lots?

53. BenJammin says:

Schremp has improved his skating.

Stortini doesn’t go out there wacking the sisters of the poor, and that’s for sure.

55. kinger says:

Ladies and gentlemen, your 14th forward.

56. NBOilerFan says:

THAT!!! Is why MacIntyre needs to be on this team!!

57. HBomb says:

Vandermeer vs. MacIntyre

Decision: MacIntyre.

Gotta love southpaw scrappers. Reminds me of “Brownie”

Now Moreau and Roy….and Penner fighting Prust? I like this….

58. B.C.B. says:

did Penner just fight? What . . . why did this happen last year?

I wish this were a regular season game. The roster spots are closing up tonight, no doubt about that.

Can I ask something? Is Smid among the 6 best D on this club?

60. NBOilerFan says:

This is feeling like a good ol’ battle of Alberta match.

The difference between Stortini and MacIntyre’s fights are pretty obvious. Stortini is a tough customer and I applaud him for his no fear to go toe-to=toe with anyone… but MacIntyre will be the big enforcer. There is room for them both on the roster, IMO.

61. speeds says:

LT:

It’s like you think that writing about Pouliot and Smid will act as a reverse jinx, keeping them on the squad ;)

Pouliot has seemingly grabbed an opening night lineup spot tonight. Though I think he probably had it anyways, tonight’s game can’t have hurt his chances (thru 2 periods).

I’d be surprised to not see Smid in the top 6 as well, I don’t see any of the remaining D as having played their way ahead of him.

62. trader says:

Lowetide, after you run Smid out of town who will be next?

63. B.C.B. says:

from what I have heard (and seen in replays) over the last two weeks Chonrey has played better: but Smid’s best plays never make highlight reels , and Chorney’s do.

According to the Oilers website Pouliot has a Gordie Howe hat trick: just add a block shot, a couple more shots, and a hit- and he is a lock no matter what anyone else does in the next two ames

trader: I’ll probably aim higher, maybe Horcoff.

speeds: re:Pouliot, I’m hoping he has a fast start to the season. Tonight is a really nice game for him but we’ll see who is in the starting lineup next weekend.

65. Jennifer says:

Wow, who else saw that little kick to the stick when Gags was carrying it out of the zone. That was sick.

66. trader says:

LT, that makes sense as I am sure you would want Pouliot to take his spot.

67. kinger says:

^<—-

That was me.

trader: I think Pouliot’s close to taking over for Horcoff. Certainly by Christmas. I’m surprised he isn’t captain yet.

69. trader says:

LT, we all know you are only half joking.

kinger: Dammit man! I wait MONTHS for a stray female to wander over here and you seem to wait just long enough for me to forget your wife’s name is Jennifer.

I bet I’ve “welcome Jennifer!” ‘d about 10 bloody times!

trader: You’re kidding, right? I’m a Pouliot fan but clearly he’s an end of the roster player who has not outperformed his draft number.

Smid on the other hand was rushed to the NHL and despite all kinds of promise appears to be running in place. I was asking an honest question: IS he among the top 6? I ask because my eyes tell me he’s in danger of having other people pass him. I’m looking for insight from others, that’s what we do here.

As an aside, long time posters at this blog must be smiling about someone thinking I don’t like Smid. I like him fine, always have. I do think he’s in some danger, though.

72. NBOilerFan says:

I don’t know… seems like JDD is intent on continuing to make the goaltender situation an issue for the Oiler brass.

I think he’s looked very good tonight.

73. NBOilerFan says:

“According to the Oilers website Pouliot has a Gordie Howe hat trick”

I don’t know…. didn’t Gordie win his fights…. or at least look decent while fighting?

;-)

74. trader says:

LT: I’m just teasing, I just like to throw a little gas on the fire.

trader: Okay, then. I’ll put the power saw back in the garage.

:-)

76. trader says:

LT: guys like us should not handle large power tools.

77. kinger says:

18-34-27 is not looking too good. There was a stretch in the first, but since then it’s been a lot of running around in their own zone.

trader: lol. Agreed. My wife gets nervous when I’m near any of the FANS in our house let alone a saw of any kind.

Great game tonight imo, the Oilers looked much better despite the flagging play since fight night in P2.

It would be nice to win it, though.

btw, on the farm Lerg scored twice in a 2-1 win and has scored all three goals so far in pre-season for the Falcons.

80. trader says:

LT: I agree, and Kinger I also agree with your view on the 3rd line.

To start the season I would like to see:
    27-10-83
    12-13-89
    26-78-34

but I don’t think it will happen

81. NBOilerFan says:

My god… Staios has not looked good.

82. kinger says:

trader said…

To start the season I would like to see:
    27-10-83
    12-13-89
    26-78-34

That’s how I feel as well. I also share your pessimism toward it actually happening.

83. kinger says:

Garrett’s analysis of #5 is pretty piss poor.

84. NBOilerFan says:

… your watching Lowe…. right?

HA!

85. NBOilerFan says:

Glencross is the latest Oiler killer to be.

He is going to continue to be a favorite of mine… even on the Flames. Nice goal.

86. HBomb says:

I’d certainly rather have Ethan Moreau than Curtis Glencross at 60% of the price, several years younger, and flat out more skilled….

(end sarcasm)

87. BenJammin says:

Glencross- Oiler killer all year. Book it.

I enjoyed this game a ton. Oilers lose in OT and really they should have won the thing but there’s all kinds of jam on this team.

So, anyone care to guess the next group of cuts?

89. NBOilerFan says:

LT…. I’ve been meaning to ask… but who is that goalie on the site and what teams’ uni is he wearing

90. ryan says:

i think that that will be the last look for chorney and he will be on his way down. he looked good for his stage, but not enough to pass smid, and definatley not going to sit in the pb. i also wonder if we didn’t see the last of sugart.. i mean wonderboy.

91. speeds says:

Why is sportsnet not cutting to the baseball game?

92. HBomb says:

So, anyone care to guess the next group of cuts?

My guess is that’s the last we’ve seen of Schremp, Brule, and Chorney.

Roy’s going to go on IR. So they’re down to 24 right there.

Peckham plays Sunday while Staios removes his head from his ass, but otherwise it’s more or less the opening night lineup against Dallas, I hope.

And I’m hoping Glencross doesn’t become Lowe’s “Satan”, but I’d sure as shit rather have that guy than Moreau right now….

93. NBOilerFan says:

One last thing… I believe you are correct regarding Smid, LT.

He is darn close to be being passed by both Chorney and Peckham.

I am not a Pouliot fan like most seem to be on here… and I really trully believe we need to make a pitch for a veteren 3rd-line C if we want to be a playoff team.

I’m still leaving some glimmer of hope that Lowe pulls of a trade in the coming days’weeks and pulls the trigger on a deal.

94. trader says:

LT: my guess is

Chorney
    Peckham
    Schremp
    Brule
    Roy – Injury List

to get to 23

Once the goalies are figured out they recall Brule.

nboilerfan: That’s Daniel Bouchard of the Atlanta Flames. He was a terrific goalie in the 1970s.

96. Matt says:

LT, like you have said they obviously picked up MacIntyre for a reason, but I wonder if tonight’s events maybe made it less likely that the Oil keeps him.

Forget the roughing minor without a scalp to show for it (though that doesn’t help him). The whole idea has been, “If we have a super-heavyweight, certain things won’t get done to us anymore”, am I right? So:

Vandermeer pounds Pouliot a bit, then says fine to big Steve later on and takes a bit of a licking. No doubt most Oil fans were happy to see JV given the shiner, but do you get the feeling that there was a wave around Edmonton going “THIS IS WHAT WE’VE BEEN WAITING FOR, NO MORE GETTING PUSHED AROUND!!!” Cause I don’t.

In life as well, sometimes it’s only by finally getting what you want that you realize it’s not what you need. One of tonight’s lessons is surely a reminder that there’s a certain quantity of pretty tough guys in this game who simply will not walk on eggshells just because there’s an A+ goon on the other bench.

I’m not trying to be partisan here either; have you ever heard an Oiler fan say something like, “Too bad we can’t play a more physical game against the Wild, but that Boogaard’s a bad-ass and we can’t risk the retribution.” I haven’t, I’ve only ever heard “I wish we had someone who could kick Boogaard’s ass like Georges used to.” And I think that’s revealing about the way these things are perceived vs. the reality.

JMO.

35% on the dot tonight. Lordy.

matt: I think MacIntyre makes the team. MacT has stated that they need to have a guy who can protect their players and it also sounds like he’s okay rolling 4 lines with someone double shifting. So it comes down to the Oilers having a 4line that sometimes includes MacIntyre (with say Brodziak and Stortini) that sees someone like Erik Cole double shifted.

I think MacT is going to try it.

98. Dennis says:

- 4/20 from the dot for 34; that’s over

- it took awhile but I was glad to see the Oilers taking back their pound of flesh for 78. Macintyre had the lawn mower going on Vandermeer and the latter’s face has to be made of leather because I can’t believe he didn’t bleed.

99. Matt says:

I guess you’re probably right (about him making it), I just still don’t get it. How does this blank get filled in:

“With a heavyweight on the roster who can handily pound even a relatively tough guy like Vandermeer, it means __________.” As far as I can tell, the correct answer is ‘now we have a heavyweight on the roster who can handily pound even a relatively tough guy like Jim Vandermeer’. Muscle for its own sake.

Which has its own value, just pride-wise. But if anyone thinks it means that Hemsky can rest easy in the corners now, they’re… mistaken, I’d say.

100. Matt says:

I guess I’m also a bit surprised at MacT. Considering that he really does have some nice depth at fwd AND he has recent experience with the thrill of a 4th line than can actually play, he’s one of the last guys I would have expected to dress a player for 2:30 a game, on purpose.

101. Ribs says:

Interesting game. Family was over so I couldn’t pay as close attention as I would have liked to, but I did catch a few things…

Poo really did himself some favours tonight. This is why we like the kid. Leaking onto the ice in a scrap and coming back always tends to quiet the critics at least a little bit. Adding up on the scoresheet doesn’t hurt either.

McIntyre passed his first test of destroying someone. With the lacklustre games the bubble boys have been having, he may just have the chance to stick…..which is kind of sad when you think of it.

Brule and Schremp…bleh. They need to be better. They really do.

Kid line shined for a few shifts. I do worry about Gagner getting injured watching this. A couple of times where he turned his back in the corners made me cringe. Hopefully Hemsky can give tips here on not getting creamed into the boards.

JDD had an impressive showing. If he can ever get a handle on some consistency he might have something.

Why is Chorney still here? I think he has plenty of potential but I think he’s a ways away. The guy must have the best agent in the league. I see him everywhere. Blogs, papers, websites, interviews…What the hell? Good luck to him anwyays.

Strudwick looks like my new favourite d-man to hate (later, Greene). He’s shaky but could be worse.

Brodziak looked pretty awesome. I tend to cheer against him a bit because he’s battling (or going to be battling) Poo for the nice spots but he’s juist too damn good to hate. Storts was good tonight as well.

It’s hard to gauge the vets in pre-season so I can’t say much about them.

I called Cogs shootout attempt perfectly and it’s probably the same thing I would do with the same result.

Damn Glenncross. He couldn’t have just waited a week or two for the Oilers to sign him? Heaven forbid if him and Chimera ever get to play a game against the Oil together.

102. Schitzo says:

Matt: I think MacIntyre’s value will depend entirely on whether he’s willing to play like a lunatic and beat the living tar out of a Regher, or a Phaneuf, or better yet, a Cammellari.

103. Ribs says:

I just realised I had siad “shootout” when I had meant penalty shot. Whoops.

Listening to the postgame, sounds like MacT’s frustration started with the Regehr hit on Cogliano just a few seconds into the game. I’m an Oilers fan and wish Regehr was on our team but unless the camera missed something (or I missed it) that wasn’t a blatant crosscheck.

The Pouliot fight was Vandermeer trying to draw attention away from the fact that 78 had about 60 whacks at the damn puck without falling on his ass, but MacT I guess went balls out and said one or more of the George Carlin words.

This game could be important for this club though, because they’re sure as hell more of a team than they were in the game at Rexall.

105. Doogie2K says:

I bet I’ve “welcome Jennifer!” ‘d about 10 bloody times!

The best part is, he’s not even the only commenter married to a Jennifer. I can think of at least one other one, maybe two.

That was the feeling I came away with live, when I wasn’t dodging douchebags who don’t know what “sit the fuck down during the play” means. I was close to breaking out some of the old leatherlung standbys (“Get off your knees and stop blowing the game!” “Bend over and use your good eye!”) with all the Goddamn penalties in the second; I think they really killed the momentum of the team, wearing out the PKers and taking the non-PKers out of sync. Still, the goaltending was solid after that first goal, and there was a lot more to like and a lot less to dislike than Tuesday’s debacle.

I also have to admit to jumping and shouting when MacIntyre lit Vandermeer (can I call him VD?) up like a Christmas tree. You knew he was waiting for his moment, and he sure as hell didn’t waste it. The man can throw ‘em, if nothing else. Too bad he took that dumbass penalty behind the play that started the parade to the box. Oh, and fuck you, Saddledome ice crew, for not even trying to clean the ice until after the next play.

An unfortunate reality, as LeGG himself proved on many an occasion over the years. That being said, I think it’s good for team morale, if nothing else, to have Goon A lay a licking on Enemy B for taking a shot at Good Guy C. Guys tend to play a bit more fearlessly, even if the actual deterrence factor is decidedly weaker, in most cases, than the pure retribution factor.

I can’t think of what you’re talking about, either, but as noted above, I had assholes cutting across my vision for most of the first five minutes, so I dunno.

106. doritogrande says:

Went out for the night after the fight night in stanza deuce. Did the pile of shit known as Bertuzzi return?

From what I caught of the game, Pouliot locked up a roster spot as did MacIntyre (for the pb role). Deslauriers deserves to be here, but there isn’t really room for him so I really don’t know what’s going to happen there. Smid was cheating towards the offensive side, which really doesn’t suit his skills. I thought Ethan Moreau was told not to fight. If we lose him, it’ll make losing GlenX a lot harder to stomach. the G-pairing made some strides, but has a long way to go still until they’re ready to handle the tough minutes.

107. ClaytonMagnet says:

Was at the game tonight, and even though I’m no expert, I thought I’d share some impressions. (Haven’t had time to read thru the other comments yet, so don’t know if I’m just repeating stuff others came up with…)

- Staios was the worst Dman on the ice. Slow in foot and decision making. I wonder if the writing is on the wall for him, what with all the kids knocking on the door. Peckham could’ve given the puck away just as much, but he would also have laid some hits.

- Mind-numbingly stupid penalties from Moreau. Also looked a step slow. Hopefully someone tells him about these ‘new rules’ they brought in since the last time he played anything close to a full season.

- Liked Strudwick. Boring, calm, sizable, stay at home. Made some of those little defensive plays that you can’t remember specifically, but overall give you the impression that he can handle himself in his own end. At least against softer comp.

- Smid looked ok to me. No big gaffs come to mind, and he had a nice rush there that led to a chance for a kid. Cogs maybe?

- Speaking of Marchant’s bastard child… The building was buzzing after some of his rushes. It’s not just that he has an extra gear, it just seems effortless for him. Kariya like.

- MacIntyre. I was worried for a while he wasn’t going to do anything about the Pouliot incident, but then he made Vandermeer swallow his own teeth. Pretty to watch. The direct quote from the Flames fan I was sitting with was “Jesus fuck”.

- Most of the ‘bubble’ forwards had decent games. I was impressed with Brule. I saw what I’ve heard about him – likes to hit, but with a purpose, not just a pinball out there. Good on Pouliot for not backing down. Schremp. If only he could find a second dimension. Any second dimension would do. He seemed to be skating well, but still afraid to go into the corners.

- Penner. I don’t care how big MacIntyre is, Penner still looked like the biggest guy on the ice. I just wish he would use it. Prust is 5’11″ and 195lbs. It looked like the Michelin Man dancing with a hobbit. AND IT WAS A DRAW. Penner should be tea-bagging him just for kicks. He couldn’t even wrestle him to the ice. That is fucking embarrasing. If Brule had Penner’s size, there would be lawsuits after every game. If Gagner had Penner’s size, he’d be the next Mario.

- Oh ya, Gagner. The type of player you do whatever it takes to keep him on your team for his entire career.

- Nilsson. Of the three kids; Cogs is fastest(duh), Gagner is the most dangerous, but Nilsson is the best all-around (at this point).

- Pisani is a fantastic winger. He is NOT the answer at centre. He lost two huge draws in a row during that last PP at the end of regulation, and lost them clean.

- Deslauriers looked nervous at first, but calmed down after the first goal. I like how he stands up on a lot of shots rather than butterfly right away. Whether that’s better goaltending or not, I have no idea.

Finally if I may… I am no expert on marriage, but when you get a call at work from your wife, and she explains how she pulled a few strings at work to get the two of you into the firm’s private suite for the BOA, for free, with all the free beer and food you can stand, you know you’ve married better than she. And when you hear her explaining to her co-workers what the Allen Cup is, well, that’s just gravy.

108. ClaytonMagnet says:

One more thing. I don’t know if anyone else saw this, but just before the Regehr/Huggybear fight, MacIntyre was skating beside Regehr discussing dinner plans. Regehr wouldn’t even look at him.

109. RiversQ says:

Actually, I think “Moreau” is French for mindnumbingly stupid penalties. Either that or “2min for useless shenanigans”

110. RiversQ says:

Just one thing about Pisani at centre – it ain’t all about faceoffs. I haven’t seen any preseason but I think he can handle the bulk of the job. Just have Penner or Pouliot on the wing on his line to take the draws so that Pisani can do the rest of the job.

111. Dennis says:

I’m not advocating it by any stretch but I think someone’s going to have to hurt Regehr to make him stop and I think someone will eventually do it. I”m not saying it’s gonna be a check-from-behind or anything like that; moreso it might wind up being a flying elbow to the jaw.

The guy has the Oilers number and though I did see what MacT was talking about re: Regehr vs Cogs (the first shift of the game Cogs went to the net and was crosschecked twice even while covering up the second time) it wasn’t an overly big deal but it got on MacT’s nerves right off the fucking bat.

This will trickle down to the point where someone takes the law into their own hands.

On Moreau vs Glencross: it was never a consideration. Sure, I’d take Curtis as well but the Oilers have chose Moreau as one of their hills to die on.

112. NBOilerFan says:

Lowetide: Thanks… I’ll have to look him up on google. I love that jersery and helmet paint scheme combo… and perhaps its just that photo but Bouchard looks Ken Drydren big in the pic.

matt: I don’t think anyone was thinking… “Oh we’ve got MacIntyre, now no one will dare touch our young guys”. But I for one was sick and tired of seeing Hemsky (and to a slioght lesser degree the rookies) get creamed into the boards and no one have to answer to it. With MacIntrye this now changes… and although it will take more than just one game, it will have a deterent effect before long and lessen the occurence to a certain degree. I’m certain that even Vandemeer will have some second thoughts the next time he picks on a non-fighter on this club.

This is another reason why I agree with LT that Smid is very close to being passed on the depth chart. He came into camp stronger and is trying to do a very good job of clearing guys from the front of the net… but Peckham’s ability to lay the big hit on players in the defensive zone is a aspect we have not had as much since losing Smith and now Greene. I think Peckham is close to making the club due to that role.

113. HBomb says:

All the more reason to play those three as a unit, don’t you think? Better yet, Pisani can return to RW where he is most comfortable.

114. mc79hockey says:

I was out last night and didn’t see this game but I was checking out the video on the Oilers website with the post-game interviews. Has anyone else seen this? Pouliot appears to have stitches over both eyes. It sounds like he took a Slapshot style beating.

115. Doogie2K says:

@MC: Sounds about right. He was leaking pretty damned good when he went off. Three separate trips out to scrape off the ice didn’t get it all off.

116. HBomb says:

That’s a good way to describe it. It wasn’t pretty.

Then again, neither was what MacIntyre did to Vandermeer as a response. No blood, but one NASTY uppercut…

117. pboy says:

I gotta agree with Dennis. The quantity of cheap shots that Regehr takes against the Oilers is going to lead to a “Bertuzzi” incident at some point and really only the refs are going to be able to prevent that. If Regehr is allowed to continue his bullshit this season, some young goon like McIntyre is going to do something stupid to try and rectify a situation and something bad is going to happen…… Of course, with Regehr, it couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

118. Sean says:

Penner didnt lose a puck battle with Rhegher all night and on serveral times won 40/60 battles. He was good and on home games should be on to neutralize that beast.

Morreau -1 (I’m giving him slack here)
    Staois -2
    Pouliot +1
    Schremp -0
    MacIntyre +1
    Strudwick +1

I actually like Smids game. He made several unnoticed good defensive plays. Brule does more than Schremp. Gagner is the man and I’m starting to hate Glencross. He can have Bertuzzi’s spot haha. I like

27-10-83
    12-13-89
    26-78-34
    18-51-46

Keep 25 but I dont know who you sit when he comes in.

119. toqueboy says:

i don’t think macintyre changes anything, yet. if he ragdolls a guy a game for the first five games of the season i’m sure you’ll see fewer cheapshots coming our way. i mean, who in their right mind would cheapshot gaborik? i think macintyre could have a similar effect, unfortunately i think we need to dress him for 60 games at least in order for that line of thinking to effective

just for everyone’s reference, lemaire has played boogard 65, 48 and last year 35 games, although he missed 46 games last year with decent injuries…he also hasn’t had more than 160 pims in the show… i think lemaire uses him very effectively.

as was noted, it was already working lasnight when reggie woeldn’t fight macintyre…last year reggie was afraid of no one…all of a sudden their nuclear detterent in roy looks more like a circa ’90s scud.

i think it forces storts to really up his game in all other areas though in the vein of a mccarty.

120. toqueboy says:

i wish we could trade penner for a young defensive stud center.

penner for stoll in january if it looks like stoll is back?! just kidding, sort of.

121. Dennis says:

I like Sean’s lines.

– 26 hasn’t shown anything close to chem with 10-83

– We know that 78-34 have a little juice together

– We know 27 has worked with 10-83 in the past

- 18′s on his last legs.

122. Henry says:

Penner, Pou and Pisani will eventually be an ace 3rd line. 78 skates ok and passes well, Penner makes room and Fernie finds holes and can bury it. Line should be about even in +/- against good opposition and score 50 goals.

This team absolutely needs MacIntyre to play 25 (Cal, Ana, Van, Min, Avery) games and really mete some justice. It was the missing link. Take the instigator after a cheapshot. Hemmer is a sick talent against a #1 D even when nicked up. You have to take the crosscheck/elbow out of Regher/Pronger’s game and force them them to back in and the other D to cheat. This is Hemmer’s year to light it up, especially with Cole around. The kids will get lots of cheapshots without protection too.

Moreau with Brodz and Stortz/Brule is a nice 4th that can function almost as a 3rd against most teams.

If Penner fought 10 times a year, he’d be on the 1st line and close to an allstar.

Brule has versatility and an upside, keep him as the 13th. Do we need Strudwick if MacIntyre is here other than that he’s a cool guy? 3rd goalie = anchor.

123. zh01 says:

最新的深圳市房地产北京翻译公司了。深圳翻译公司搜索巨头谷歌、俄语翻译
    韩语翻译广州同声传译上个月成交量放大广州翻译公司上海翻译公司。,德语翻译,,但这种趋势能否持续,还令深圳各界忧虑。商务口译,料就在昨日下午稍晚时间,同传设备已经说明一切。翻译是一门严谨不容践踏的语言文化。同声传译,凡购买中国移动手机充值卡深圳同声传译翻译部署促进房地产市场健康发展措施出台,深圳翻译.深圳英语翻译 ,无需制作炫丽的界面和复杂的操作功能深圳日语翻译,中国移动后台词库和网络搜索资源来获得。一时间采访的开发商、地产中介、银行 广州翻译公司,用户的体验不能停留同声传译一扫而光”,接受本报广州翻译公司,韩语翻译的今天,同声传译偶尔会和翻译公司东莞翻译公司。在线翻译工具。法语翻译同声传译设备租赁,是会议设备租赁,一项调查显示法语翻译几乎将深圳地产的阴霾情绪同声传译设备租赁,是会议设备租赁深圳手机号码网,深圳手机靓号,有的用户同传设备出租会议同传系统租赁1—11月份报告昨日公布选择在线翻译会议设备租赁乘坐和所有客户一起分享奥运来临的喜悦。新疆租车,奥运喜充天”活动更多的是通过线翻译同声传译