Oilers at Hawks, G5/08-09

This is an SI from a long time ago featuring the patented hockey smile of a warrior (in this case the late, great Keith Magnuson who is also pictured on right).

The Hawks of my childhood were a strong, strong team. Maybe like Colorado now (or over the last 10 seasons). They had Tony Esposito in goal, a quality blueline led by Magnuson, Pat Stapleton and Bill White and a forward group that was among the best in the league–Stan Mikita, Bobby Hull, Jim Pappin, Dennis Hull and many others.

They were a terrific team and one of the “group of 4″ from the late 60s/early 70s who had a chance to win every season (Habs & Bruins, Rangers & Hawks).

These days they’re a team on the rise and currently with a brand new coach in Joel Quenneville. The firing of Denis Savard has received a lot of play but it’s my opinion that Chicago upgraded with a coach who ranks among the 10 best in the business.

Chicago’s arrows are all pointed in the right direction. My guess is an L for the Oildrop in Chi-town tonight.

Why? Despite the quality kids and the increased number of NHL veterans on this year’s Oilers team, my guess is that they are not an elite team. 4-0 teams who are not elite level wander back to the median.

225 Responses to "Oilers at Hawks, G5/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. PDO says:

Roloson in net tonight…

I think he’ll have a big game. Very big. He’s going to be pissed off, and that’s when he tends to be his best…

2. Doogie2K says:

So here’s the thing: Magnusson was just killed by a drunk driver this past summer, right? So then the Hawks go out, fire their coach four games in, and hire…a drunk driver? Maybe not the same guy, but seriously, what the fuck, Rocky? The words “too soon” mean anything in Illinois?

3. HBomb says:

d2k:

It wasn’t just this past summer….

I know, I’m shocked that it’s been almost FIVE years since the tragic accident that claimed Magnuson’s life. Time flies….

4. toqueboy says:

i don’t think there’s anything to suggest this chicago team is “elite” yet either and as such, i think it’s a coin flip on who’ll win. we’re certainly harder up now that they have quenville, because at least they’ll have someone taking advantage of home ice match ups.

my biggest concern in this game is roli giving up two soft goals and losing 4-3

5. goldenchild says:

I think they are much more likely to lose tomorrow night. This Chi team is a lot like the Oil without as many vets in the lineup, they will want to play a style Edm is very comfortable with. I think the loss comes tomorrow night in Col. Unless their goalie stands on his head or ours shits the bed I think they start 5-0

6. Doogie2K says:

I swear I heard about this a lot more recently than that. Maybe it was only this summer that Ramage’s case went to trial or something. Point stands, it was in the news recently enough.

And if we’re going to argue on the strength of goaltending, I hate to say it, but I’d bet on Huet before Roli, any day of the week. If it’s Khabi, though, we could see another 7-5 barnburner.

7. Dennis says:

GC pretty much nailed every one of my points.

THis is a night where I need two receivers because I really don’t want to miss G1 of the WS but I’m trying to keep track of the Oilers chances.

8. raventalon40 says:

I hope he bats something out of the air or shakes off his helmet.

If he gives a referee heck, take a drink from your beer. :-P

GOILERS!

9. george says:

if you ask me, i’d have to say that edmonton is further along than chicago. it’ll be a close one tonight.

The issue imo isn't whether EDM>CHI. Clearly the Oilers are a better club based on recent history.

This is math. The longer EDM continues to win the more improbable it is because they are not an elite team.

Average teams don't go 10-0. They just don't.

11. Alice says:

LT,

If you take a roll of nickels and peel off 9 straight heads, what are the chances of the 10th one being a head? About 50-50? The 4-0 is history, it has no weight in righting the ship towards the mean.

That’s not to say I’m going to wager anything they’ll Win it, mind you ~

12. PDO says:

Alice beat me to it…

Outside of that, I did bet on it :D

13. goldenchild says:

But LT avg teams or slightly above avg teams can go 5-0 its not all that more improbable than 4-0. They are looking for a split out of these B2Bs and tonights game is the easier win, I can;t see them winning in Col on the 2nd of the B2B against a divisonal opponent who surely feels they deserved better on opening night.

Btw I can’t say enough how impressed I have been with Row-bert. He is making plays in all 3 zones, skating better than we have seen and not afraid to go into trouble areas. Last year the coach made some comments that seemed really out there to me about him being a guy that could end up on the first line and if I recall correctly something about him leading the team in scoring. I’m not sure he has quite that level of upside but he is becoming quite a treat to watch.
    LT has made the case many times about the quality job KP and the scouts have done in the draft and even though 12 wasn’t drafted by the Oilers its been no secret that he was the apple of their eye that June.

Okay, fine. You’re all wrong, though. :-)

15. Vic Ferrari says:

The dice have no memory, Lain.

I wouldn’t be all that surprised to see the Oilers outchance the Hawks tonight, not by a bunch or anything … still.

And Pouliot and Brodziak have been pleasant surprises so far to my eye, as has Strudwick, of all people (ridiculous own goal excepted), who has looked downright quick at times. go figure.

Only card carrying fanboys really believe that the Oilers deserve to be 4-0, of course. Thank Christ MacTavish is speaking towards the sane this year BTW, the Oilogosphere’s goalies needed a break, and we needed a break from them.

Still, they’re getting a hell of a lot better of the chances and the possession than they were a year ago, and they should get better yet. Hemsky is their best player, and he hasn’t played like it yet (not at evens, anyways).

Love the stuff that Dennis and Jonathon are doing with the scoring chances BTW. I don’t comment because I don’t have anything to add or argue about, but great stuff, guys.

Vic: So you’d bet on the Oilers to put up a W tonight? Seriously?

17. Coach pb9617 says:

I don’t care if they win or lose tonight, I’m looking for continued high level play from Strudwick and the Kids along with the 3rd line.

I’ll take a loss tonight if I see that the 1st line has begun to find their legs and chemistry tonight. I thought maybe there were flashes last game, but that was mostly Cole-based and had little to do with Hemmer or Scorecoff. This team is going to wallow in average if that line does not play like an all-star line.

18. Mark-Ryan says:

LT, Chicago has been a bad team this year. I’m sure they have a bright future; they have nice kids and some nice vets – but their record has been more inflated then ours has, and they’re only 2-2-2.

I’m betting on Edmonton tonight, I just wouldn’t be too shocked if they lost.

19. raventalon40 says:

Chicago has averaged more goals for and averaged less goals against. We have better special teams, though.

Got these stats from Addicted-To-Oil

20. Jeanshorts And Baggedmilk says:

Sir wise and mighty Lowetide,

I am not a fan of this pessimsm as far as tonights game goes. I would not predict an Oilers loss tonight. These two teams are high flying and it should be a beauty.

Even though it’s a PPV and there will be far too much Gene Principe for my liking.

Jeanshorts and baggedmilk salute to Patrick Kane tears of misery tonight in Chi town.

-baggedmilk

21. GSC says:

IMO, Roli’s performance determines whether we end the night 5-0-0 or 4-1-0/4-0-1. That being said, I’ve lost more and more confidence in Roloson’s ability to provide consistent goaltending, so I’m thinking the winning streak ends tonight.

Here’s to hoping I’m wrong…

22. Phil says:

Average teams don’t go 10-0. They just don’t.

The odds are with you on this, LT, but Ottawa started last season 15-2, and ended up 7th in the East and were barely a road bump in Pittsburg’s post-season. I’d call that an average team.

On the other hand, a 5 game win streak for this team is damned rare. It’s only happened 3 times since the lockout.

Just sayin.

23. Vic Ferrari says:

Well, the oddsmakers give Chicago a 56 to 57% chance of winning, and that seems a bit fat to me. Still inside the hold, and I certainly wouldn’t bet against the Hawks having the better of the territorial play or scoring chances, but it should be near as dammit.

The optimist in me sees Hemsky finding his form and the Oilers playing well. :)

This game is a classic under bet on the goals totals though. If you can get -110 on five and a half … then you take it. Without doing the math, that’s probably 7 to 10 points south of the hold. Of course it’s a game of probabilities, not certainties. And that’s not betting, not at all. That’s taking margin.

24. Ribs says:

Ottawa boasted 3 players who were in the top 15 points totals…hardly an average team…just sayin…

25. danny says:

LT the best way to look at it, is to decide if these teams played 10 games against each other, what would be your prediction on the final series score?

Lets guess, 6-4 Oilers?

Well you’re in effect saying that tonight the Oilers have a 60% chance of winning the game.

I know what you mean, a 5-0 start isnt probable, but that probability stretches through the whole 5 games, when it comes to tonights game, a 4-0 record is meaningless in regards to the probability of winning game 5.

Also, its just plain old natural tendency for successful teams to slack off and struggling teams to hit a wall and overachieve, if only for 1 game. A lax practice on the heels of a 4-0 start is all they need to wake up 4-1 tomorrow morning.

26. Coach pb9617 says:

The optimist in me sees Hemsky finding his form and the Oilers playing well. :)

Well, that means that Scorecoff goes with him. This team needs the top line to start lifting.

27. PunjabiOil says:

Staios out due to a personal matter (hope everything is alright) – Souray draws back in.

28. Bruce says:

Average teams don’t go 10-0. They just don’t.

LT: The 1993-94 Toronto Maple Leafs started the season 10-0-0; after that they went 33-29-12, which is pretty close to “average”.

Of course, that is the only team in NHL history to start a season 10-0. So great teams don’t do it either … 10-game winning streaks are damn rare at any time of the season.

5 straight wins on the other hand is eminently achievable … hopefully tonight. GOILERS!

29. Schitzo says:

The dice may have no memory- but players aren’t blank slates and the idea that “holy hell the bubble has to burst some time” must be in the back of their minds

30. Jonathan says:

They look lots more average when you factor in their goaltenders.

Lets guess, 6-4 Oilers?

If they're playing all ten games in Chicago, with the lines they're going with tonight – 5-5. And only because IMO Roloson>Khabibulin.

31. Steve says:

Schitzo said something like what I was going to. Hockey games aren’t determined by dice but by human beings, and it’s as foolish to treat human beings like dice as it is to treat dice like human beings.

That said, I have no idea whether the human factor goes with the Oilers (“We’re 4-0! We’re unstoppable!”) or against them (“We’re 4-0! We’re complacent, or a bundle of nerves, or something!”). But the result of a hockey game is not independent of the results of past games.

32. doritogrande says:

Goddamn. Why are we playing Souray? He’s freaking INJURED. And as such, runs a risk of getting MORE INJURED.

Everyone ready for another round of 5.5M PB junkie?

33. Lord Bob says:

You mean… long-term injured?

34. B.C.B. says:

DG: if Sourey is hurt and we are playing him, it is because we have a third goalie eating a roster spot it happen to late and we could call anyone up (even if we had the roster spot) and something serious has happen to Staios (I aslso hope everything is all right)

35. Mike says:

Is this game being streamed anywhere?

36. Matt N says:

hawks feed is streamed at nhl.com

37. Matt N says:

smid in . staios out.

poo. brodziak. huggy bear on the 4th

38. CrazyCoach says:

Maybe Souray is pushing himself a little this year to try and make up for last season.

39. doritogrande says:

So, that’s not the way for Stortini to stay in the lineup. Contributing to a goal against in the box.

40. Coach pb9617 says:

Hrm. An entire penalty kill was out of position.

41. doritogrande says:

thanks much Danny.

FU Oilers and your PayPerView.

42. Matt N says:

Getting outplayed early. This is getting to be a bit of a pattern.

43. Jonathan says:

thanks much Danny

Seconded.

44. Coach pb9617 says:

LT, I know it’s still early, but do you think Ales has maybe taken up smoking large quantities of Cannabis pregame?

45. Jonathan says:

Apparently Patrick Sharp wants to be Tyler Arnason*.

*note: except also good against other teams.

46. Vic Ferrari says:

I was talking to Lowetide with the “dice have no memory” remark. This is an old phrase, much like “the wheel has no memory”.

Now hockey players are neither dice nor wheels, obviously. Surely nobody here is so foolish as to think that was implied.

The saying is meant to express the notion that just because you’ve had more than your share of good fortune in the recent past doesn’t mean you are due for bad fortune. Lowetide is rational, and recognizes that the Oilers results are better than their play over this stretch. Not that they’ve played badly, just that they clearly haven’t been dominant.

I’m sure that we all recognize the fact that the Oilers were a bit fortunate with the bounces, especially in game one, where they were clearly outplayed in the eyes of all rational observers.

But that has buggerall to do with the likelihood of the crossbar saving Roloson twice tonight and Moreau having a centering pass deflect off of Seabrooke’s skate and into the net late in the third.

Shit happens when it happens. The wheel has no memory. That’s it.

47. doritogrande says:

Stortini trying to make up for his earlier brain-cramp perhaps?

Huggybear through and through.

48. doritogrande says:

Hemsky knows we’re wearing white tonight, right?

49. Jonathan says:

Cute play by Seabrook there.

50. Jonathan says:

This “invisible in the first period” routine is starting to bug me.

51. Matt N says:

The Oil are a better team with SMACKintyre at 3 minutes a game than Huggy at 8 minutes (IMO).

52. Mike says:

Danny – thanks.

What in the world is wrong with Ales Hemsky? He looks ordinary – which we know he is not.

53. Jonathan says:

Vague poll question of the night:

“Do you think the NHL needs any new rule changes?”

That said, this Chicago feed isn’t bad.

54. doritogrande says:

This entire period is just screaming “clusterfuck”

55. doritogrande says:

Why in the name of the little baby jesus is Sam Gagner on the penalty kill?

56. Matt N says:

“That said, this Chicago feed isn’t bad.”

I will take Olzyk over Principe any day.

57. Mike says:

Sweet move by Gags off that turnover. GO IN.

58. Jonathan says:

I will take Olczyk over Principe any day.

And I’ll take 0.00$ over 11.95$ everyday too.

59. Jonathan says:

Why in the name of the little baby jesus is Sam Gagner on the penalty kill?

He tried it in the preseason too. Be interesting to see if he sticks with it; with three legit forward lines and a nice set of guys on the fourth too, I guess ice-time is hard to find.

60. Scott says:

“thanks much Danny

Seconded.”

Thirded.

And we wonder why the Oilers think of the blogs as competition:)

61. Mike says:

FUCKING RIGHT LADDY

62. doritogrande says:

Ladies and gentlemen, Ladislav Smid has arrived.

63. Matt N says:

S M I D !!!!!!

64. Coach pb9617 says:

Wow. Hey there Ladi.

65. Jonathan says:

The lowest PIM total Fraser has had in the past five years is 145.

Very nice, Smid.

66. Black Dog says:

Wow that’s a great feed – thanks Danny.

67. Mike says:

Yes Storts! BLEEEEEEEEED!

68. Jonathan says:

Ben Eager=quality hockey player

69. Scott says:

Ben Eager = Hilariously Stupid

70. Coach pb9617 says:

I am not at all averse to macblending Hemsky to the fourth line and promoting someone.

71. doritogrande says:

Shorthanded…shit.

72. Black Dog says:

wow that’s terrible

73. Jonathan says:

…and a classic example of how stupid penalties can hurt the opposition…

74. Scott says:

So apparently Horcoff and Hemsky have agreed backchecking isn’t really important.

75. Matt N says:

That was Hemsky’s man on the SHG. He has been horrible this year.

76. B.C.B. says:

Smid fighting before the whistle. Love it

77. Jonathan says:

I remember last year, how everyone was talking about players that the play died with – I give you Tom Gilbert.

78. CrazyCoach says:

Ladi steps up. Is Vish ok?

79. Coach pb9617 says:

This drives me nuts. When Hemsky starts his floating shit turning the puck over, getting cute and throwing limp-wristed passes to the other team, the whole team seems to follow suit.

Can someone get the damn puck into the corner and hit the shit out of someone on the other team please?

80. doritogrande says:

There’s a period to forget. LT’s looking like a prophet tonight. Everyone seems sluggish and are making terrible decisions with the puck.

81. Bob Arctor says:

Oilers are trying outdo Washington for worst powerplay attempt of the year award.

82. Jonathan says:

Ladi steps up. Is Vish ok?

He played after the hit, so I’d say he’s probably alright.

83. Scott says:

As soon as I saw Smid fighting with the visor on I thought we were getting four minutes in penalties for sure. Pretty impressive that he managed to retaliate without getting the instigator.

84. Coach pb9617 says:

Everyone seems sluggish and are making terrible decisions with the puck.

I’ve got Hemsky with 5 turnovers in that period. He has no jump at all.

This team needs more Pisnereau in the second period.

85. Black Dog says:

Someone’s been reading their press clippings.

We’ll see if they can turn it around in P2.

86. honkey says:

The only positive is they are only down by two and Roloson has played a solid period.

87. Quain says:

I’ve been on an ice rink twice in my life. Both of those were over a dozen years ago. I’m fairly certain I’d have better legs right now than the Oilers just showed.

88. Scott says:

In terms of optimism, the Oilers didn’t look any better in the first period against the Flames, and they managed to carry the play through the second period, so they’ve established an ability to improve through the course of a game.

Smid was impressive that period for the fight, Grebeshkov for the all-world play in front of the net. The rest of them are porridge so far.

WHEN in the name of Baby Jesus are they going to break up the top line?

90. Jonathan says:

Does Gary Bettman really count as a “star”?

Also, and I know this has been pointed out before, but he is very, very short.

91. doritogrande says:

Beer me.

92. Jonathan says:

Or maybe Hemsky and Gagner.

Gagner needs to score.

94. docweb says:

Not quite as bad as the Calgary first but the same score. Can’t count on a SMacIntyre tonight though to turn it around. A Huggybear moment is not going to cut it

95. Dennis says:

The Hawks had more SH chances than the Oilers had chances period.

83 is off a super slow start and more than ever it looks like he’s content with turning the puck over at the blueline. That being said, the whole first period was about the Oilers refusing to dump and chase and the Hawks just stacking the blue and refusing to back in.

And, yes, no doubt that 77 is off to a rough start. Heading into this season Some of us were Aware that kids like 37-77 had only put together Half-seasons and that a guy like Souray has never been much of a defender anyway.

So, a lot of bills are coming due tonight but hopefully MacT changes a few things to start the second and maybe gets a spark going but this for all the world looks like a 5-2 loss.

BTW, why is 24 out?

96. Jonathan says:

“Eddie, as Sidney Crosby’s old coach the Hawk’s play-by-play man, you’ve seen some amazing goals…”

97. Matt N says:

Is the Penner, Pisani, Chopper line even playing???

Hemsky is scaring me a bit. 5 games in and he is looking like he is sleepwalking through the season so far.

Roli is solid so far despite 2 GA

Smid should be in the lineup full time.

Stortini should not.

98. Jonathan says:

BTW, why is 24 out?

Personal matter, as per Gregor at ON.

99. Dennis says:

BTW, I’d say the Oilers looked worse tonight than they did in the first period vs Cgy on Sat. I just started digging into that game tonight and I had the chances as 7-1 for Cgy but at least the Oilers had penalty troubles to blame for that one.

Tonight, the Oilers gave up three Huge chances While enjoying their own PP’s.

100. doritogrande says:

Dennis:

It’s listed as “personal reasons”, and he has returned to Edmonton.

Does he have a pregnant wife? Because that’s about the only thing I can think of that would make that a positive detour.

101. Jonathan says:

Amid harping on Cogliano’s shooting %, I don’t think I mentioned Gilbert’s ridiculous number, although Lord Bob and possibly others did. 13.7% or something like that, so even if everything else was good, it would be hard to see that repeating.

102. Black Dog says:

btw jonathan when are those guys going to figure out how to put up a blogroll? when they started I remember them saying they would once they figured it out

is it that hard?

103. Black Dog says:

good news is this team is 4 and 0 and a whack of guys can play a whole lot better

bad news is a whole lot of guys have their heads up their asses

104. Bruce says:

Many thanks to Danny for the link, though I think I’m glad I missed the first. Just reading the summaries and stats now. Stortini takes a minor and Hawks score. Stortini draws a double minor, and Hawks score a shortie. Goddam him anyways.

Seriously, was the roughing minor warranted? That’s not Zack’s usual style, but having seen the roughing penalty he took against Colorado — which was a horseshit call of the first order — I’d prefer to see for myself or at least get a first person account.

What led to the fights, and how did Zack and Ladi do? Seems like they’re fighting for their spot on the roster …

105. Jonathan says:

is it that hard?

They are planning a whole site relaunch, but for some reason things are dragging out with whoever’s doing it for them. I think it’s going to happen ASAP.

106. Jonathan says:

I’d give them both the edge, although Ladi was a cleaner win. Smid also had the virtue of avenging a hit on 71 from behind, and didn’t get the instigator.

107. Black Dog says:

Cogliano is definitely a guy who has come to play this year.

108. Jonathan says:

Hey, even the Chicago guys say “Fernando Pisani” with reverence.

The legend grows.

109. Jonathan says:

Is Hemsky injured, or just indifferent?

110. Bruce says:

I’ve got Hemsky with 5 turnovers in that period. He has no jump at all.

officially he was charged with 0 GV. i agree he has been playing like shit outside the PP. Just made a brutal play to not control a promising pass from Horcoff … it’s just not working for those two so far.

The Oilers as a team have 0 TK, and the defence corps has 0 hits. Not good.

111. Black Dog says:

He really looks terrible, eh? That was a nice rush by Horcoff and it just died on Hemsky’s stick in the slot.

112. Jonathan says:

Brodziak!

113. Jonathan says:

Also, Fernando Pisani’s the solution, and I don’t care what the problem is.

114. Black Dog says:

MacBlender – we’re going to see Pouliot, Pisani and Moreau for a stint I bet

115. doritogrande says:

“Is Hemsky injured, or just indifferent?”

Wondering that myself. Did he have surgery on the wrist this offseason, or is he still playing through that? He doesn’t have his dangle and seems (even more) reluctant to shoot.

Cogliano needs more ice-time. He’s been the best forward the last three games.

116. Matt N says:

Bfyuglien looks great. Keep in mind he is a 23 year old, 6’3″ 250lb converted defencemen.

117. doritogrande says:

Just thinking out loud, but if you want to fine people for walking over a logo, don’t put it on the goddamn floor. That’s just not smart.

118. Jonathan says:

I thought exactly the same thing.

119. Jonathan says:

This second PP unit looks worthwhile.

And more like a 1st pp unit than the 1st pp unit tonight.

120. Bruce says:

Does Ales get extra points for putting Both of his linemates offside?

121. Jonathan says:

The first couple of games, I was thinking Cole was the drag on the first line.

I’m rethinking that, because there’s three guys out there and only one of them isn’t forechecking consistently.

122. doritogrande says:

“This second PP unit looks worthwhile.

And more like a 1st pp unit than the 1st pp unit tonight.”

Gagner-Penner-Nilsson(Hemsky when he wakes up)
    Souray-Visnovsky

That would seem like the better powerplay lineup. I don’t know why we’re still running Horcoff out there. He’s not our best point-producing C on the powerplay.

123. doritogrande says:

There’s your guaranteed softie.

124. Bruce says:

78 back with 34 and 18.

Oh goddam it Roli, stop the puck. Your goalie just has to stop shots like that. Killer goal.

JDD woulda stopped it.

125. Jonathan says:

27-51-83 out right now. It’s an interesting combination – maybe MacT thought that if he put Hemsky with two slower skaters, he wouldn’t look so lethargic.

I almost bought it, until Penner had to break to avoid being put offside by Hemsky.

126. doritogrande says:

Just how close was Ales Hemsky to Stoll, Torres and Greene?

Seriously, this isn’t the 83 we’re used to seeing, and there HAS to be a reason.

127. HBomb says:

MacBlender set to “frappe”: Penner-Brodziak-Hemsky.

Seriously, I’d staple 83′s ass to the bench for a period and send a fucking message. He’s got to get his head out of his ass. Maybe it’s time to send a message, yes?

128. grease trap says:

I wonder how Springfield would in this game…

129. Scott says:

Moreau was pretty owned with that Campbell spin move, although I guess it’s not much different than a guy breaking up the wall.

130. Matt N says:

Did Hemsky get whatever disease Stoll had last year. He seems to have the same feel to him this year.

131. Jonathan says:

A moment in Brian Campbell’s mind:

“A little spinorama… sucker… now I’ll do whatever I want.. which is throw a weak backhand from a bad angle…”

132. Black Dog says:

Horcoff has woken up.

133. Bruce says:

Ales skated into another trap, surrounded by three guys at the blueline. Of course the concept of shooting the puck past those guys and into the corner never fucking occurred to him … odd-man rush, Chicago.

134. Jonathan says:

Well, it only took me five games to turn on Hemsky.

I’m a fickle creature.

135. Bruce says:

IMO Roloson>Khabibulin

Care to elaborate on that, J?

136. Jonathan says:

So to solve the powerplay, MacT sends the kids out with 71-44.

Because clearly, 37-77 were the problem.

137. Scott says:

Souray must have a pretty terrible wrister if he feels the need for the wind up on that one.

138. spOILer says:

And Hemmer with another giveaway at the blue line while getting the double-shift with Brodz.

Have we seen Brodz’ panic point twice from that same side of the Chitown net?

Johnson got all of a rolling puck, but Roli was caught unprepared, deep in his crease.

PP Oil.

Great feed, danny. Mucho thanks.

139. Jonathan says:

Care to elaborate on that, J?

Uhhh… small sample size… badly outplayed… mutter… Hemsky… team defense… Joel Quenneville is clearly a genius…

No, not really.

140. doritogrande says:

chicago announcer- “boy, the Oilers are slow.”

It took you this fucking long to realize this? This hurts to watch.

141. Jonathan says:

The Hawks play-by-play tandem is now openly mocking the Oilers. They seem to be enjoying the game.

142. Scott says:

Whew! How long until the penalty ends?

143. spOILer says:

Line of the night: “boy, the oilers are slow.”

144. Jonathan says:

Wanna bet that Cogliano wouldn’t have tried the slapshot if he and 27 were reversed right there?

145. grease trap says:

This game is so painful I’m actually looking forward to Principe’s interludes.

146. Bruce says:

Great steal by Pouliot. Tonight I’d be giving him Hemsky’s time rather than the other way around …

147. Scott says:

Scoring chance Chi 13 Edm 8. Is that close to what you’ve got so far Dennis?

148. Jonathan says:

Who is this Chicago play-by-play guy – I like him.

149. Scott says:

They showed it on the television. I thought it was way too close myself, but someone in Chicago is counting, so I thought I’d see if they were similar.

150. Matt N says:

If your offer me 4 and 1 at the beginning of the season I will take it. However, this team scares me right now. Their best players are not their best.

151. spOILer says:

If he keeps this up, it could be some time before Roli gets another start.

152. danny says:

I wouldve guessed they were somewhere around the 16 – 4 area heh…

153. Jonathan says:

Wow. Doesn’t feel that way at all. Maybe the Chicago broadcast team is trying to influence NHL scouts who haven’t been watching too closely.

154. Bruce says:

Much better period: 1 takeaway by the Oilers, 1 hit by a defenceman.

Time to go grocery shopping, it’ll be more fun.

Fuck.

155. Loxy says:

Bring back Reasoner.

Why?

Just cause.

Heh.

156. Jonathan says:

If he keeps this up, it could be some time before Roli gets another start.

Although in fairness, Roli’s made at least a half dozen great saves to balance that bad goal.

He doesn’t look any worse than JDD did, does he?

There’s an old baseball line that goes 50 games you’re going to win no matter what you do, 50 you’re going to lose no matter what you do. Winning the pennant depends on how well you play in the other 62 games.

I know which column this puppy is in, followed by a tough tail end of a btb in Denver tomorrow night.

158. Jonathan says:

Raycroft or Budaj?

159. spOILer says:

He’s also looked shaky on a few that didn’t go in. That said, he’s gotta have more rust than a 1974 Plymouth Fury.

Omly 12-11 in shots. Must’ve been 10 PP shots, cause I didn’t see much Ozone possession at evens other than Brodz’ fanner.

160. Jonathan says:

UFC guy must be a little embarrassed that Rachelle out-shot him.

161. mjsh says:

my wife just said, I bet you wish you did not spend the money to buy this game. Yikes. Not good at all. No legs, no Hemmer, no power play.

162. mc79hockey says:

“You have a smaller hole to get it in.”

I laughed.

163. mc79hockey says:

Jesus Christ the Hawks between periods is bad. They’re showing footage (I assume it’s not live) from the shoot the puck contest held between periods in Chicago. The guy is pretty much openly drooling over the woman.

164. Jonathan says:

Which puts it pretty much on par with a standard Principe interview, yes?

165. Matt N says:

Lovin the Hawks feed.

Cheesy commercials. Hot chicks taking shots vs. UFC dudes. No GP.

FTW

166. Jonathan says:

Hey, are those Chicago broadcast guys wearing the “Hockey Fights Cancer” ties that the HNIC crew had on the other night?

167. grease trap says:

So at this point do the Oilers phone in the 3rd period to save something for tomorrow night?

168. doritogrande says:

Jesus, we’re even in faceoffs.

Small victories boys. At least one thing’s improved.

169. danny says:

She was pretty impressive, definitely drool-worthy.

170. Black Dog says:

Lots of great memories in the United Center?

Not so much.

171. docweb says:

Big Steve on with Principe…talk about the “just glad to be here” look!! Somehow he didn’t look that big though, I wonder how big Principe is.

172. CrazyCoach says:

OK, Rachelle was the highlight so far.

Hemmer needs to sit a period or two. Not sure whats bugging him or why MacT continues to play him as much as he does.

173. Dennis says:

Scott: I tape the games and then count the chances when I re-watch them.

Off the top of my head, I’d say 2nd period SC’s for the Oilers were:

- Cogs on the break
    - Cole with the wrister and then the rebound

I would say that’s about it and the only bonafide chances that jump out at me from the from the first period would be Horc with the tip off the bar and 71 from the high slot with a slapper. So that’s five I can think of and I know there’s a bunch of guys who absolutely haven’t had any SC’s: 83-12-89-43-5 etc etc.

So, 7 wouldn’t be a bad guess; maybe a tad high but nothing off the charts or anything like this.

Overall, it’s better that you get your ass kicked in the First half of a BTB because logic dicates it will stick in the craw and they won’t play as badly as they have tonight. Then again, we’re five games in and the Oilers have been awful in the first period in 4 of those 5 games.

That’s pretty close to being a pattern.

Despite the 4-0 mark, it’s been a pretty uneven start to the season. They’ve been:

- awful in the first 40 vs Col and then came back with a good third plus Garon to win

- awful in the first 30 in Ana but Garon plus the PP helps them win.

- a really good road effort in Cgy to win

- awful start and then good finish to win vs Cgy

- awful in the first period tonight and then when they had a couple of good shifts, the Tane line pinned in 18-34-78 and after the puick made it to the N zone, Chi came back and Tommy Salo let in a terrible goal.

So, to summarize, Oilers are as lazy as fuck tonight but if Garon’s in the net, it’s probaly still only 2-0 and he moves better laterally so maybe he stops that Seabrooke goal as well.

That’s not to blame Roli but I’m just laying out how I’ve seen the first few games.

Oh, and BTW, without looking to see what our PK % has been, it seems to me we’re giving up a lot of chances while shorthanded. Yes, that’s how it’s supposed to go;) but I’m always the guy who says they can field a good PK unit no matter what but early on that looks like it’s gonna be tested.

174. Jonathan says:

Good grief Hemsky. You need to stop that pass.

175. Jonathan says:

MacT and Co. seem to like deploying 12-13-89-37-77 as a five-man unit. I really don’t mind that, except that it makes that first pairing a little scary.

176. Jonathan says:

Nice mobility, 44.

177. danny says:

My love affair with Hemsky ended last year. He is too much Alexei Zhamnov and not enough Patrick Sharp, for too much of a season. His off games are really the kind that disrupts the entire team. he can win games by himself yes, but he can drag his line out of the game as well.

If we have a top-tier talent, id just be happier with more of a North-South guy, that is an effective player rather than counter-punch artist as is hemmer.

i DO really bow to Hemskys talent… I’m just tired of the enigma that he will probably be his entire career.

178. Jonathan says:

Bobby Nilsson looked pretty solid there :)

179. achtungbaby says:

Screw Nilsson, look how good Bolland looked on that play.

180. Coach pb9617 says:

I haven’t seen an entire Oilers team float through an entire game for about…six years?

Anyone know when their flight got in? This is ridiculous.

181. Jonathan says:

There’s the whistle, and there’s some more Smid aggression.

I like reliability.

182. Coach pb9617 says:

officially he was charged with 0 GV.

Bullshit. I rewatched it during the second intermission and he had 5, possibly 6. The official scorer stinks.

i agree he has been playing like shit outside the PP.

He’s playing like shit on the PP

183. mc79hockey says:

Wow. Not sure what set Moreau off there but that was a little nuts. Nice vertical to throw that punch.

184. Coach pb9617 says:

MacBlender – we’re going to see Pouliot, Pisani and Moreau for a stint I bet

Will It Blend? Let’s hope Hemsky finds out. Someone kick him in the ass.

And if this downer has something to do with Staios being out or whatever personal situation surrounds that, please get back safe and healthy Steve.

185. Jonathan says:

Apparently the penalty kill is what’s going to get the team back into this game.

186. Matt N says:

Ales Hemsky = Alexei Kovalev

always leaves you wanting more

187. Jonathan says:

89-83 as a penalty-killing duo. Because Hemsky clearly needs more ice-time.

188. Bruce says:

Anyone know when their flight got in?

Anyone know IF their flight got in?

189. Coach pb9617 says:

Jesus, we’re even in faceoffs.

Small victories boys. At least one thing’s improved.

Yeah, but they’ve taken it upon themselves to turn the puck over as soon as they win the faceoff.

Mac, please play will it blend tomorrow.

190. Coach pb9617 says:

Guy in goggles = Mac

Glowsticks = Hemsky's boys.

191. Scott says:

Hemsky with the stick lecture. Ha!

192. doritogrande says:

Sweet, Ales Hemsky getting told off by the Chicago commentators. Too bad he can’t fucking hear them.

193. Jonathan says:

And Ed Olczyk finds a somehow missed bad habit of Hemsky’s. I thought that as a group we’d been pretty thorough.

194. Julian says:

el-oh-el at the hawks broadcasters scolding hemsky for taking off his glove on the ice.

195. doritogrande says:

Something woke up the 83 of old. Too little too late though.

196. grease trap says:

Look who just realized he was in a hockey game!

When he’s good he’s great.

197. mike w says:

I come home to this. TO THIS!??!

198. Jonathan says:

Did Hemsky get pissy at Olczyk for lecturing him? He’s awake now.

199. Scott says:

I’m reminded now of my dislike for Andrew Ladd. Ladd and Roloson on the same ice. Sigh.

Newer Comments »