Oilers at Stars, Pre-Season G7

The truth be told, Edmonton’s Oilers could save money on aviation fuel and stay on the tarmac drinking aviator fuel.

The Edmonton Oilers have as much chance in Dallas as Marian Crane had at the Bates Motel.

When it comes to their hockey teams, Dallas is Norman Bates and Edmonton learns about his hobby (taxidermy) every time they visit.

The game isn’t on TV tonight, which I find comforting. Looking forward to an EDM-DAL game is a distant bell for me. WHEN was the last time the Stars feared the Oilers? Modano wasn’t shaving.

On the Oilers website, Craig MacTavish says he’s leaning towards a lineup that is very close to what he’ll use opening night.

At a guess, the roster looks like this right now:

1. Mathieu Garon
  18. Dustin Penner
  19. Fernando Pisani
  20. Ethan Moreau
  21. Zack Stortini
  22. Marc Pouliot
  23. Steve MacIntyre (R)

This would mean Mathieu Roy would head for his home (IR, he’d join JF Jacques) and the Oilers would send out Gilbert Brule, Rob Schremp, Theo Peckham and Taylor Chorney from the players I’ve suggested still have a chance to make the opening night roster.

We should also acknowledge a trade could be coming.

84 Responses to "Oilers at Stars, Pre-Season G7"

1. spOILer says:

Lot of teams looking to make moves out there judging from Matty's column this morning.

Seabrook would interest me, but the cost would likely be a body we don't want to give up.

Skrastins… meh.

I'm not sure what a Schremp/Pouliot, &/or a Smid/Grebeshkov would bring.

Too bad for the Cubbies. Again.

2. Doogie2K says:

WHEN was the last time the Stars feared the Oilers?

Probably before the 1991 Campbell Conference Finals, though I suspect they must have started getting real antsy during Game 7 of the ’97 series.

3. spOILer says:

And Roli?

Just can’t see it till someone loses their starter to injury.

And wouldn’t you want to see how good Garon is going to be and have him signed to an extension first?

I think Roloson is important to this team. Deslaurier’s development is one thing, having two veterans who can really help is another.

WHY would the Oilers risk a playoff spot so Deslauriers gets NHL time? I have no idea and doubt it’ll happen.

The Oilers will carry three G’s imo until they get a clear indication of what they have in JDD. Should he stink out the joint then sending him down is probably less risky. Remember this isn’t the 1970 Dryden we’re talking about here (with due respect).

5. voxel says:

Please, we should dominate this game or there’s something wrong.

voxel: You’re testing the Gods here. Seriously.

7. Lord Bob says:

Seabrook would interest me, but the cost would likely be a body we don’t want to give up.

Gotta give to get. I wouldn’t be averse to trading a Bobby Nilsson or, god forbid, even an Andrew Cogliano for a Seabrook-type player.

First, because $3 million in cap room is good, and second, because there are a hundred Jocelyn Thibault types out there for peanuts who can at least provide replacement-level backup tending in a pinch.

Except that Garon + Roloson is such a superior tandem. Does anyone doubt Roloson could win the number job here at any point this season? Garon had a solid year and was the better man but the Oilers goaltending currently is maybe a hair better than average.

Replace Roloson with JDD and we’re talking something else again.

Lineup for tonight, per Tencer:

Horcoff-Cole-Hmsky
    Gagner-Cogliano-Nilsson
    Penner-Moreau-Pisani
    Brodziak-MacIntyre-Pouliot

Souray-Visnovsky
    Grebeshkov-Gilbert
    Strudwick-Staios

Garon
    Roloson

10. Lord Bob says:

Ah, okay. Then I agree. Establish that Garon is the Garon we saw last year and then offload Roloson and pick up a veteran D.

Agree completely.

12. Showerhead says:

So by “close to” the actual roster, he meant “exactly it”?

13. Lord Bob says:

Just Say No To Steve MacIntyre(tm).

showerhead: I think there may still be a move or two. Roloson moving to another town, a waiver pickup (Denis was cut by MTL today) or a trade involving a few players on this roster and the bubble boys is possible.

Tweaking could happen. Now or in the next few weeks.

15. Showerhead says:

LT: I’m not denying the possibility of tweaking so much as suggesting that given what MacTavish has right now, I think we can probably look at tonight’s lines as an indication of who has(n’t) made the team.

16. Showerhead says:

and as an addendum: I am pointing at Schremp and Brule as opposed to Pouliot – I realize there is a pressbox to sit in but probably not for those two.

also, did you see what I did there with all of those a’s? one more and I could trade them to Kevin Lowe for Chris Pronger.

17. kinger says:

I don’t get why MacT is still trying to run 44-17. 17 has looked better without 44 and vice versa.

18. Traktor says:

“WHY would the Oilers risk a playoff spot so Deslauriers gets NHL time?”

Because JDD has outplayed Roli thus far by a wide margin.

Why give time to Nilsson when we could just sign Dvo!

I like the balance on this team but it’s seemed to me from the beginning Penner needs to go with Horcoff and Hemsky.

Same with Lubo and Sheldon.

20. Traktor says:

“Does anyone doubt Roloson could win the number job here at any point this season?”

I do.

21. Showerhead says:

Kinger – hardly even a compliment on paper, eh? I think half of what coach is up to with the lines is a steadfast determination to keep certain groups together. IE if you’re reluctant to separate Cole/Horc/Hems or the kid line, there are only so many different ways you can arrange the bottom six to help you win games. Hence the Pisani experiment and then leftovers put together as they are.

If that 1st line can build some chemistry and the 3rd line experiment works, then Edmonton has a very good top 9. If it doesn’t? I’m still kind of concerned to be honest.

22. Showerhead says:

LT: regarding Penner, I definitely see where you’re coming from based on some of their results for a stretch last season. My question is how long does a coach keep Cole up there because it’s supposed to work?

23. Paper Designer says:

It’s the pre-season. Strange things can, and perhaps should, happen.

The thing that’s interesting is that the Oilers have the tools to win the division while Dallas is icing a good team that will have some problems in what’s now likely the toughest division in the western conference. Sixth place in the conference would sound about right for them, eh?

If the Oilers actually face the Dallas Stars in the first round with home ice advantage, I couldn’t think of a more full-circle set of circumstances. But it’s early yet… a lot of things can happen.

Showerhead: I don’t think it’ll take long. Cole has looked better anywhere else and Horcoff-Hemsky haven’t found the range yet.

It’s actually similar to last fall when Nilsson looked fine but ended up getting booted off the Stoll-Torres line. Nilsson wasn’t the problem, but he got sent out anyway.

Cole would make a terrific winger for Gagner too imo.

25. Scott says:

Hey Lowetide,

Thanks for the lineups. Did Tencer say that Penner was actually playing center on that line now or are you making a (reasonable) wish?

Scott: I think he mentioned that Pisani would be in the middle.

Here's the link:

27. Dennis says:

What do we make of both 5 and 46 being left out of what looks like the opening night lineup?

Dennis: I’ve made my views on Smid and his status on the roster clear, but Stortini is a bit of a head scratcher.

Maybe the rotation on the 4line is going to be MacIntyre, Pouliot and Stortini rotating and Brodziak playing every game?

Who did Stortini play with last game?

29. Showerhead says:

Dennis: to me it just looks like this is the “tough” lineup and that those two are the inserts into Strudwick and MacIntyre’s spots. Of course there could be minor injuries at play or hell even a trade or what have you but I don’t see either one as on the cutting block. Just my view though, maybe Pou and Mac are still auditioning.

30. HBomb says:

Cole would make a terrific winger for Gagner too imo.

Guess that begs to ask the question as such – could the “tough minutes” experiement for Gagner be coming?

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Cole-Gagner-Pisani
    Moreau-Cogliano-Nilsson

(in order of difficulty of minutes)

Don’t know if we’ll see that off the bat, but as Vic has pushed for elsewhere, Gagner’s so smart, MacT might try to push up his level of competition at some point. Best way to do that might be by giving him the best damned set of wingers possible.

And perhaps it’s Brule or Pouliot getting the shot with Nilsson and Cogliano against the soft – by the time this happens, the annual Ethan Moreau Injury will have happened, so Brule will probably be getting a recall.

31. T. says:

I don’t know if I’d trust Moreau at this point to keep up with Cogs/Nilsson. He seems a half step shy so far. Sad but true.

Although Cogliano’s speed is such that that might be true of alot of folks.

32. rickibear says:

“Cole would make a terrific winger for Gagner too imo.”
    Therefore Penner-horcoff-hemsky
    LT:Which center

1.Cole-Brodziak-Gagner
    Cogliano-Nillsson-Pisani

2.Cole-Nilsson-Gagner
    Cogliano-Brodziak-Pisani

3.Cole-Cogliano-Gagner
    Nilsson-Brodziak-Pisani

Or do you see something diffrent.

33. Scott says:

I think the implication is that Gagner is the center.

34. Ozzieoiler says:

LT,

It’s 8.30 am here and just got the bus to work. Stopped by the library on the weekend and just got a classic. Robert Bloch’s Pyscho. Read the first chapter and then Tune in here and there’s a Pyscho reference. Freaky De ja vue.

Here’s hoping for a win tonight.

35. Matt N says:

” We’re afraid of an injured and flu-ridden team that’s been 1-4-1 in the preseason?

Please, we should dominate this game or there’s something wrong. “

Bad form. Let’s not have this kind of hockey god baiting during the regular season please!!

” Well, here’s how I look at it. If Garon + Roloson is almost average and Garon + Say, Thibault is a bit below average, why not take the latter and put the savings towards some veteran defense? I think that would be a net gain. “

There aren’t any fits out there for Roli. I just can’t see him getting moved. You can pick up relatively equivalent help for a much lower cap hit.

LT: What are the chances of Schremp having some kind of meltdown if he is sent down. He has been the good soldier all summer, but remember last year and the swedish elite league episode?

matt n: I don’t think it would be a public request but his agent might ask for a trade.

Eventually, he might he end up in a Euro league at some point. But I don’t think it’ll be this year.

He’s 22 and should get his NHL chance some time. The question is will it be in the EDM organization?

37. PunjabiOil says:

In the spirit of a typical HFBoards GDT, please refer to the series of my subsequent posts

38. PunjabiOil says:

I think Gagner i sgoing to get at least 80 points this year.

Cogliano will score 30!

39. PunjabiOil says:

Souray! Rocket!

LOL @ those bloggers who thought Souray was a bad signing!

40. PunjabiOil says:

F***! My feed is delayed! Now I can longer read the GDT and listen to the radio at the same time.

41. PunjabiOil says:

Here's the GDT on HF, with a series of non-value added posts.

For amusement purposes only:

42. NBOilerFan says:

punjabioil: Haha… you summarized it very well… I had just spent a couple minutes scanning the GDT just before you posted.

TSN is reporting that the Habs have waived Denis…. I guess that means that there should be no concerns waiving JDD.

(I sure wish this one was being streamed somewhere…. will be longer week awaiting Game 1 now without todays fix).

43. NBOilerFan says:

Also… Brian Burke picked up McIver off waivers from the Canucks?

44. kinger says:

MacT is being pretty stubborn with this 18-34-27 experiment. I think he’s basically forcing two guys to play out of position to satisfy team politics (not putting Moreau on the 4th line).

45. HBomb says:

One of the many reasons I’d still support a coaching change.

Fuck stupid team politics. Moreau IS a fourth-liner right now. They should go the extra step and try to offload him if given the opportunity. Three years of 2 million dollars locked up in a fourth line LW is just terrible.

46. Schmidty says:

“Cole would make a terrific winger for Gagner too imo.”

I would like to see this:

27/10/83
    12/89/26
    18/13/34

Size/grit and speed on every line.

Nobody playing out of position. 18 and 34 could help 13 on faceoffs.

I think MacT is giving Moreau every chance to find his legs. Can’t blame a coach for giving his veterans every chance to find the range.

But yeah, that 3line seems to be a big bomb currently.

I smell a trade. RH C, veteran.

48. Showerhead says:

I’ll let you Edmonton folk decide what is and isn’t politics. My first thought is that MacT’s job gets really quite a lot easier if that third line can stay together and play some tough minutes. Between that line’s on-paper role and the again on-paper ability of line 1 to go PVP, coach’s job is simple as hell and it’s easy to exploit the kids’ strengths against soft opp. I don’t blame him for trying one bit but there will be real, valuable points on the line in under a week so it’s time for everyone involved to get their shit together.

49. bookie says:

I totally doubt it unless Garon goes in the tank…at which point we need someone to step up. Roloson has been a pretty poor goalie with the odd good game over the past 2 seasons. Lots of easily stopable pucks get by him (and I mean easily stopable for an NHL goalie not for your beer league buddy). At the end of last season he did ok because of a great deal of team effort to protect him.

JDD looks viable to me. Others have said he was the best goalie in the AHL. Sometimes you gots to take a chance. Besides as someone else noted, there are lots of ‘ok’ goalies out there that are as good as Roli.

Note:Nothing against Roli, I think he is a great guy and has done well, but I just think that on most nights, age has caught up to him.

50. suntory hanzo says:

How much pressure is there to keep the kids together? I know it sounds cool (and was/is cool) to have a kid line, but are the resources better used elsewhere to both balance the team, and prevent so many players from playing out of position? I’d like a crasher playing with Gagner.

I like schmidty’s line suggestions.

51. BenJammin says:

I’d like to think that MacT is taking a long view of the kid line. They have great chemistry now but if they continue to progress as they have been, by next year they’ll have Sedin-like intuition about finding each other in the offensive zone.

The Kid Line breaks up sometime this season I’d imagine. You’ve got all kinds of problems at center even now and at some point that’ll need to be addressed.

Since there are 2 centers on that line, moving it around would probably be part of it (when they acquire a vet RH center).

53. relic says:

LT: This trade that you smell, I seem to get the impression that you think it’ll be bubble players heading the other way. If so, a roster forward (top 12 or 13, ie someone other than Schremp) would also have to be included in the deal or there would be the danger of losing someone to waivers. So assuming it won’t be Stortini or MacIntyre, because they fill roles, who on the roster would they actually be willing to move?

relic: Well, at the risk of pissing everyone off here’s the group I can see them moving.

1. Roloson: For obvious reasons, he clears cap space and gives the roster more flexibility.

2. Smid: Everyone thinks I hate the guy, which is not true. However, he’s still at the back of the roster and the role he plays could be covered by Peckham soon.

3. Cogliano: His skills are NOT duplicated on this roster in many ways. He’s very fast and has a bright future but if the Oilers are going to make a trade for someone who is going to help at D or C he’s a guy who might be sent away. Obviously the return would need to be very strong if you’re trading Cogliano and for the record I love the way he plays.

The Oilers have a hole at center. That’s what this 3line experiment is all about, in fact MacT not elevating Brodziak tells us he doesn’t think that’s the way to go.

So, maybe you wait until next summer and sign a free agent for that role and maybe they don’t make a deal now.

But there’s a chance they make a move involving one or more of these three roster players.

55. HBomb says:

Lowetide: I think the only way they deal Cogliano is after Christmas and they decide to go big-game-hunting for the blueline.

Translation: they hope Cogliano starts hot and Souray plays well and stays healthy, and they try to turn those two into Jay Boumeester and sign him to a 10-year extension (why not? He’s only turning 25…)

In other words, if Cogliano’s heading out, it’s going to be something DAMN nice coming back, and it’s quantity for quality.

56. Lord Bob says:

Of the kids, I’d like to trade Nilsson first, simply because I think that in a pinch Schremp could be Diet Nilsson and it would allow us to go hunting for an entirely different sort of player without having to worry about a replacement.

hbomb: Oh yeah, should Cogliano be included we’re talking Duncan Keith or Brent Seabrooke plus. That kind of thing.

lord bob: All down the line the Desjardins’ comps have Schremp and Nilsson as a nice match. THere is the speed issue and remember it took awhile for Nilsson to establish himself too but I think you can make the argument that Schremp could put up points (providing his skating is enough now and he can compete physically).

58. HBomb says:

Given that Chicago’s looking for a second line center, I wonder if Cogliano plus Smid lands you one of those two guys. And it would be the kind of D-man we need.

Our only “stopper” right now is Staios, and he looks to be ready to fall over the cliff – Lowe’s going to be looking to divest that asset in the next 12 months, methinks….

Well if they’re out of the playoff running at the deadline Staios would be a very likely trade candidate.

60. Dennis says:

Outshot 26-6 in the last two periods combined in your last preseason tune; which was a game where you pretty much iced your best lineup.

Seriously, that’s a cause for concern.

From what I’ve seen, read and heard, as much as we have depth up front, two lines aren’t working: the top line and the third line.

I think it’s just as well to put 27 back with 10-83 and put 26-34 together on that third line and then figure out who’s gonna play between them, ie 51 or 78.

There seems to be a couple of things that are being considered and, at least in the EX season, are being prioritized over winning.

Those things?

- Trying to please 26 by giving him him the best linemates

- Being afraid and/or loathe to put 18 on the 4th line.

61. Dennis says:

I’ve always said that you could trade 12 for a good dman or 13 for a great dman and 12′s locked in for three years at a good rate so that makes him even more valuable and I’ve always had him on the block.

But, I have to say, I’m not ultra convinced that 12′s easily replaced; certainly not by Schremp.

Nilsson’s got great vision and hands and I’m telling you, he’s the best backchecker out of the kids.

62. Traktor says:

This team is a lot better on paper then what MacTavish is guiding them too.

We have no chemistry on the 1st line.
    We have a makeshift 3rd line that is a total disaster. We just ended the preseason with an average shot differential of -13.

If this team starts 0-5 do we make changes?

63. Schmidty says:

I don’t like the idea of trading any of the young guys yet. We’re not close to making the serious run…still 1-3 years away.

Build with the youth and make the trade for the key vets when its apparent what we need and who we can live without. I could live without Marchant but not without Gomez.

It’s guess work with 12 and 13 and for that matter 5.

I say keep ‘em until its obvious.

64. doritogrande says:

Nilsson’s a converted pivot, is he not? That’s 3 natural C’s on the 2-line. I’m loving our selections in this year’s draft, because they’re natural wingers, something this team’s seriously lacking in. Thinking about it, our projected 4 lines (Pouliot makes it here) starting the season have HEM, COL, PIS, MOR, STO as natural wingers. The other 7 have been converted from or are natural C’s. Fact is, there are more people playing out of position than we’ve been thinking.

If we’re going big-game hunting, and Cogliano’s in play I’m not looking for a blueliner. Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Peckham, Chorney, Petry and Plante are all coming into the roster or bigger roles on the roster soon. Betting is good there are at least two top-4 talents in there, and one may be good enough for top-pair with Lubo. Adding a Seabrook, Keith or heaven forbid Boumeester only complicates the depth chart. I want a winger. Could a package of Cogliano/Penner, Grebeshkov and a pick land us Kovalchuk at the deadline?

MacT postgame: It’s kind of been the model for the pre-season, is it’s pretty hard at the end of the day to judge it.

It looked like we were good 5×5 but we didn’t play 5×5 much.

It’s hard to judge your penalty killing too.

We have some things that need work.

It seems like we don’t generate enough shots, but every shot we get we have a good scoring chance.

We’ve gotta find a way to even the shots for and against. We’re concerned about the lack of shots and the number we’re giving up.

Strudwick did a good job for us tonight.

He also mentioned Garon being solid. That’s his word.

66. Dennis says:

Shields is throwing gas.

And Torri Hunter must be fucking sniffing it.

ANA wins this going away if the ghost of Steve Sax isn’t playing 2b.

68. PunjabiOil says:

How interested would Florida be in a Gilbert, Smid, 2009 1st for Bouweemeester swap?

Crazy talk I know, when you see crazy rumors like Gaborik for Malkin in Sunday’s Edmonton Journal, it’s all fair game.

I’m not terribly concerned with how the pre-season went. 2-2-3 with little contribution from the Hemsky’s, Horcoff’s, Penner’s and Cole’s. It’s pre-season for a reason, and the PP has yet to gel.

What we did learn was that there are encouraging things about Garon. JDD is also proving me wrong, albeit limited sample size.

Face-offs shouldn’t be that big of an issue if Brodziak is pushed to third line duties, while Pouliot marks the fourth. Don’t understand the rationale of giving Pisani and Cogliano an extended audition down the middle, but you would expect MacT to make adjustments by next Sunday.

I don’t see any trade coming in the near future. The Oilers may place Roloson on waivers shortly, but do I see Cogliano or Smid being moved? Not unless things are really bad 15-20 games into the regular season. Deals are just difficult to make in the cap world, as shown last year.

I do hope if Gaborik becomes available, the Oilers offer a package that make it difficult for Minnesota to refuse. Example: Cogliano, Penner, and Smid.

69. Dennis says:

LT: I wouldn’t have let Kendrick in the parking lot; let alone in the fucking batting order.

I would’ve bet a lot against Aybar getting a hit in that last inning.

Interesting that Bos has a series lead but neither of Ortiz or Pedrioa have done a thing. If I saw Beckett good tonight, I would’ve called the Sox WS champions but now I’m not so sure.

70. raventalon40 says:

Is it just me – or has Stevey Staios looked rather shakey this preseason so far? A sign of things to come – or just preseason jitters?

71. HBomb says:

Giving up Gilbert would be downright stupid. Of the seven guys on the opening day roster, he’s the absolute last defenseman you give up. End of story.

72. Lord Bob says:

That is a hell of a lot for a one-year rental when we’re not going for the Cup.

73. Steve says:

When’s the last time Tom Gilbert played like a reliable top four defenseman for several straight games? Because I don’t follow the team as closely as a lot of you do, but I’m not sure it was after the midway point of last season.

74. HBomb says:

First full season for a guy used to 50 games a year (US college schedule), difficulty of minutes went up (as far as I can tell), and, in my opinion, quality of teammate went down (I have yet to buy into the Grebeshkov hype).

Tom Gilbert is a guy I’m not the least bit concerned about. Out of he, Smid, Grebeshkov, and any of the young d-men in the system, his upside is still the greatest.

75. Coach pb9617 says:

Horcoff-Cole-Hmsky
    Gagner-Cogliano-Nilsson
    Penner-Moreau-Pisani

Mac is dead set on Cole on Line #1. Bummer.

76. pboy says:

I’m not as concerned about what lines we start the season with as some of you. Don’t forget the “MacT Blender” will probably be in effect by the 2nd period, so whatever lines start the game will probably be mixed up by the time the final horn goes. Personally, I would run with:

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Cole-Gagner-Nilsson
    Moreau-Cogliano-Pisani
    Pouliot-Brodziak-Stortini(McIntyre)

If I remember correctly, Staios is a notoriously slow starter. He looked pretty bad the last few years in the Ex- season and it usually takes him a about 5 or 6 games to find himself again. Last year he didn’t play well until 1/4 of the season was over. Either that or the two headed monster of K-Lowe and Steve Tambellini better look to shop him immediately.

77. goldenchild says:

Jaime Lundmark cut today LT, if I remember correctly you used to have a thread on HF every couple of months about aquiring him lol. Are we gonna at least get a Lundmark post?

78. Lord Bob says:

Sign Lundmark. Sign Lundmark now.

79. PunjabiOil says:

Lets not get carried away here. Gilbert’s good, but Bouweemeester he isn’t.

You give up any guy that can help improve your team. This list includes hemsky and Gagner. End of story.

80. HBomb says:

At some point it becomes shuffling deck chairs. You need to identify more than two core guys.

Gagner, Hemsky, Horcoff, Pisani and Gilbert would all fall into this classification right now in my books. Potentially Cole and Garon, if they perform well this year and are extended.

Bottom line is that Gilbert is the LAST guy you trade out of the current top seven. By your “logic”, should Anaheim have given up Niedermayer to get Pronger?

81. PunjabiOil says:

What’s the problem upgrading from a ”core guy” to a ”better core guy”

Core is such a vague term. The bottom line is; does the deal improve the Oilers? If so, you pull the plug.

And yes, if Anaheim could not obtain Pronger in any other possible package, trading Neidermayer for Pronger would have been a wise move.

82. Vic Ferrari says:

“trading Niedermayer for Pronger would have been a wise move.”

If not for the fact that Niedermayer is clearly a better hockey player than Pronger, that’s probably true.

83. Doogie2K says:

What’s the problem upgrading from a ”core guy” to a ”better core guy”

Long-term, that’s fine. Short-term, you fuck up the chemistry in the room and on the ice, and given that many of the “core guys” are at least decent at what they do, that presents a bit of a problem. Remember the Smyth trade?

84. PunjabiOil says:

I still have a hard time believing Gilbert, a guy who has been around for only 1 NHL season, has such an impact in the dressing room.

Personally, I think more talent exceeds the value of (subjectively determined) team chemistry.