Roy Raived

This is Ron Hunt. He taught me the value of “HBP” many years ago. Although I didn’t understand the idea of adding it to OBP (the Baseball Guides listed total bases on balls, intentional base on balls, and hit-by-pitch in the miscellaneous section but there was no OBP. Even SP was in the second section) Ron Hunt sure got on base a lot and that was a good thing.

If hockey had a hit-by-pitch category the annual leader would be Mathieu Roy. He’d lead in hit-by-boards, accidental falldowns, putting yourself in an awkward position and times having your career stall due to untimely events.

Mathieu Roy has 10 fingers, 10 toes. After that it’s a blur.

The Oilers have waived Roy in order to send him down and he is not happy. Who in hell can blame him? He’s a solid defenseman, in fact I’d go so far as to say that Mathieu Roy is underrated by everybody, even his own organization. The Flyers have been losing defensemen by the day and could pick him up so most fans are hoping he doesn’t clear waivers.

In fact, so is the brass. Quoting the GM “there’s part of us that hopes he’ll be claimed, for himself, and the other part is we’d like to be able to keep him as depth” and despite how good that sounds it can’t be encouraging when your bosses are cheering for you to leave.

Roy is one of 5 Oiler picks from 2003 to make the show. Marc Pouliot, JF Jacques and Roy were all selected from the QMJHL that season and each has had all kinds of strange injuries along the way. All of them have had their careers affected but there are examples in NHL history of young defensemen getting their injuries out of the way early and then going on to many successful seasons in the NHL.

There aren’t a lot of them, though.

21 Responses to "Roy Raived"

1. Black Dog says:

Might be a fit in Philly, might be fit in a few places.

Like JDD though I wonder what type of market there is for a guy like this out there. Maybe on a team in full out rebuild mode – LA or the Isles?

Because otherwise what kind of demand is there for a guy who barely has had a cup of coffee. Or in JDD’s case, not even that.

I think he clears, comes up and gets hurt again. Guy is Bad Luck Schleprock.

2. doritogrande says:

My money’s on NYI or ATL putting a claim in. Atlanta’s so bad that an 18-year old looks to be the best on that blueline. They would figure to need a stopper.

Off topic, but what the hell is a WHIP? And how is it scored?

3. Matt N says:

Walks Hits per Innings Pitched

4. eidy says:

I am one of the people who don’t see the appeal in Roy, he just doesn’t seem to do enough things well to stick at this level. In the preseason games this year, the only thing i thought he did of note was get in the one scrap with a. roy. He does seem to be getting beat with the ugly injury stick and maybe he’ll surprise me and end up being a reliable d-man in the show, but likely will drift away into the abyss of almost nhl’ers

5. Dennis says:

You’d think someone would take him based on talent; then again, his injury rapsheet is something that would make anyone think twice.

When I think of Ron Hunt, I think of the chapter devoted to him in Dan Turner’s “Expos Inside Out.”

There are numerous Expos references in this blog — it’s one of the reasons why I keep coming back — and last night I got together with a buddy of mine and we watched both CS games.

I still love the game but it’s not the same and I’ve honestly had to let some of the Expos stuff go just so I can enjoy baseball again.

It honestly still hurts to the point that I feel embarrassed about it.

Dennis: Don’t. We own it. We’re this generation’s Brooklyn Dodgers and there’s just no way to cheer for another team the same way.

I mean how can one possibly explain the joys of being an Expo fan (Raines coming back May 1 at Shea and winning it in extra’s, El presidente el perfecto, Wallace Johnson’s triple, that beauty 1994 team) and then say “but I follow the Yankees now?”

It’s like changing your name. Go ahead, you’re still the same guy.

7. doritogrande says:

Soon to be challenging Mathieu Roy for most injured player in the NHL: Bryan McCabe. Poor son of a bitch apparently broke his back yesterday, fracturing at least one vertebrae.

TSN link: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=252302&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl

8. Dennis says:

Nicely put, LT.

I did follow the Nats in ’05 but I guess that was because there was no hockey and really nothing for me to throw myself into.

But then the Oilers rolled in the spring of ’06, the Nats started off on the suck and I read a few things in the Wsh Post that just tore off the ill-fitting “scabs” that passed as healing devices for wounds that seriously were too deep for anything other than stitches.

You’d get caught up in the rest of the league because you were following the Expos and when a club came to town, you’d look up their new players or shiny kids and, boom, they were in the database. I’ve lost so much of my league-wide knowledge because it’s hard to care anymore.

Sure, I’ll see a JP Howell and wonder where he came from so you look him up and you know he was a castoff from KC and he’s a failed starter. OK, you’ll never forget that because you have the aptitude to retain knowledge and there’s that little piece of you that once knew the towns for all the team’s AA and AAA minor league towns; and you knew a lot of A ball locales as well.

You’ll see that Greg Dobbs has 63 PH appearences this year and you’ll say, “Fuck, that’s a lot and remember when Greg Gross was the Phillies PH?”

I will honestly never get over it; I feel like Bud took away my summers.

You can’t almost get fired from a job because the VCR wouldn’t work and you couldn’t tape Jeremy Powell’s first MLB start and then just move on.

9. mc79hockey says:

As long as we’re talking baseball…I got tix for G3 and G4 at Fenway of the ALCS and I’m pretty sure I have WS tix for Philly. I cannot express how excited I am about this.

MC: Beauty. Phillies in 1980 were a terrific team and not really like this one (they had the best third baseman in mlb history, as an example).

But this is a fun group to watch. My sense is either of the AL teams will beat them but you never know.

11. raventalon40 says:

Speaking of defensemen: did anybody else notice how sound Bryan Young was playing during training camp.

raven: That’s what he does, quiet and steady. Guys like that usually get a few cups of coffee over a period of seasons and then find a job, hold it for a decade and become coaches.

Stats don’t mean much for guys like this, but staying healthy is really important and with regard to Young so far so good.

He had a nice second half of the season in the minors a year ago:

13. Coach pb9617 says:

Please hockey gods, let Mac see the error of his ways in keeping Cole on line 1.

It has to come, coach. Either that or they trade one of Moreau or Pisani.

15. Schitzo says:

So who wants to convince Howson that Peca is a loose cannon and he should trade him straight across for sugartits?

16. doritogrande says:

Speaking of the Hockey Jesus, is he still with family? Because he wasn’t in the lineup for tonght’s Falcons game.

4-3 win to open the season, but poor Dubnyk had to face 37 shots. It seems that with all the offense and puck-moving in Springfield this year, Dubnyk’s development curve will appear similar with Grant Fuhr’s. Potunly with two goals, Brule with a goal and assist to pace the team.

17. Schitzo says:

Dorito: One of him or MacIntyre must be back, because we’re carrying 23 players (not counting Roy).

According to the Journal, a quirk in the CBA meant we had to assign Smid to Springfield to get our roster down to 22, so that Roy could come off the LTIR and immediately go on waivers.

Given that information, I’m guessing Calgary will have to assign Boyd to Quad City as soon as Warrener comes off the LTIR, even if all Sutter is doing is waiving him down to the AHL. Ah, CBA quirks. Fucking waiver-eligible players since 2005.

One final thought – I forget who used the phrase, but describing a drunken typo as needing a “molson mulligan” made my whole damn week.

18. Bruce says:

LT: I remember the year Ron Hunt set a major league record with fifty (50) HBP, and it seemed like about 26 of them occurred on a Wednesday night. Hunt crowded the plate something fierce, and on any inside pitch he would turn away from it in such a manner that his front shoulder would actually dip a little closer to the plate. I’m pretty sure a few of those 50 HBP were strikes.

There was one night where Hunt got hit three separate times, and the pitcher was so pissed off he wanted to throw at him!

Dennis: Nicely put. As a lifelong Cards fan the ‘spos were always my #2, but they were an easy team to love right from day one. Unfortunately the games which had been an organic cultural experience at Jarry Park were sterilized by the blight known as the Big Owe. Team never did have a proper baseball stadium first or last, and that killed the Expos. A crying shame.

19. Schitzo says:

My condolences to all Expos fans in this thread. I’ve never gotten into baseball myself (beyond LT’s random references), but I can’t imagine how sick I would feel if the Oilers packed up shop and moved tomorrow.

This is why I hate the people suggesting american contraction. Sure, Nashville may only have 10,000 fans, but they’re diehards and don’t deserve to lose their team.

20. Asiaoil says:

Dubnyk with a decent night, Brule with a G + A, Chorney and Peckham good as well. Nice start for these guys and I’m really hoping that Dubnyk has a very solid year and Brule rediscovers his scoring.

As for Schremp – bundling him and Roloson together sometimes after xmas probably makes the most sense.

21. honkey says:

Motin played a whopping 14 min 15 seconds in last night win over Timrå.
    He wasn’t really noticable at all which should be a good thing when it comes to him. He played around 17 min thursday so it seems that he has passed at least the two other young deapth defensman on the team and is now on third pairing with Granak.