Snake Eats Frog. Film at 11 (Riesen to Believe Update)

This is one of my favorite times to be a hockey fan and the reason is this man, Larry Mavety. Back in the olden days, fans would get “HOCKEY PREVIEW” magazines in September that predicted the rosters and standings for each NHL team.

Larry Mavety showed up in those magazines every year. Oh sure it was at the end of a sentence (“and Larry Mavety who put up solid numbers on the farm might get a shot this year”) but he never did play in the NHL.

And he was all around it too. IHL All-Star team in 1966 and 1967, WHL (the pro league) All-Star in 1970 and 1971. When the WHA arrived he was an obvious choice for the new league and posted solid numbers (40 assists one year, 51 points the next) and had a nice run over 5 WHA seasons.

He never played an NHL game though, and because Mavety’s career was one I followed (surely he couldn’t have been worse than some of the Seals and Capitals) for a few years the period of time when players are cut before opening night has always held an interest for me. Kind of like a car crash or those nature shows where a snake eats a frog.

I think last night’s game made MacT angry enough to say goodbye to all the pretenders and get down to the serious business of choosing the men he’ll go to war with in 08-09. It’s an important year for him: expectations are high enough that an extremely slow start might force Steve Tambellini to replace him (remember, best friend Kevin Lowe wouldn’t be the man doing the shooting) with one of the assistant coaches or someone from outside the organization.

The players sent out today clear the decks, and make the Riesen to believe update extremely easy tonight. Let’s start by listing the players who have NHL jobs unless they suffer injury or the Oilers make a huge end-of-camp trade:

1. Horcoff
  13. Souray
  14. Staios
  15. Grebeshkov
  16. Gilbert
  17. Garon
  18. Roloson

That’s 11 forwards, 5 defensemen and 2 goalies. The Oilers would need to add at least one forward and one defenseman among the final 5 players (making a roster total of 23 which is the likely number). Here then is the new list:

1. Smid 98% (slight chance of trade)
  2. Brule 85%
  3. Pouliot 79%
  4. Strudwick 75%
  5. Jeff Deslauriers 60%
  6. Schremp 57%
  7. MacIntyre 38%
  8. Roy 5%
  9. Peckham 2%
  10. Chorney 1%

My guess is that the “group of 5″ are as slotted here, with Schremp and the rest sent out. It is not a slam dunk, however. The Oilers clearly like MacIntyre enough to claim him off waivers and that might impact Pouliot, Deslauriers or Strudwick. Also, Brule has the edge on points over Schremp currently but there’s still time and should the Oilers dump Pouliot in favor of MacIntyre that may mean the more skilled Schremp wins the day. The 8-10 slots here are window dressing imo, although Mathieu Roy is a nice hockey player and deserves better.

One final thing: I think the Oilers are going to make a trade. It might be a minor one, but all of Roy, Deslauriers and Pouliot are waiver eligible and none of them are certain to make the big club. I suspect they’ll shop one or three and someone will have interest.

Fun times. I wonder if Larry Mavety is paying attention.

45 Responses to "Snake Eats Frog. Film at 11 (Riesen to Believe Update)"

1. Doogie2K says:

Denver Spurs/Ottawa Civics is a new one for you, LT.

The way everyone was raving about him, I was sure Spurgeon would survive at least one more round of cuts. It’s also interesting how we’ve gone from Brule being an almost-sure AHLer to an almost-sure NHLer in less than four weeks.

2. Lord Bob says:

It seems to me that the mistake Columbus made with Brule was throwing him in as a scorer rather than in the fourth-line chaos role perfected by Messrs Torres and Glencross.

Playing that role, it turns out that Brule is pretty good. And if his scoring touch comes along, great, but I’m frankly okay with what we have so far.

3. Doogie2K says:

LB: In other words, it comes back to putting the kid in a position to succeed. It’s an obvious concept, really, but it’s something that Columbus generally failed at during the Doug McLean years, which is one of several reasons why I used to frequently forget that that team even existed.

4. Mark-Ryan says:

I feel Delauriers is as certain as Roloson is. All he had to do was not look bad, and he hasn’t.

5. DeBakey says:

Smid was always 100%.

“in favor of MacIntyre that may mean the more skilled Schremp wins the day”

MacIntyre AND Schremp in the same line-up?
    That sounds like molasses in January

6. toqueboy says:

for what it’s worth, i definitely didn’t rollie as “good” lastnight and other than his backbreaking contract, i can’t see him placing higher than JDD on any reputable depth chart…alas, life is full stumbling blocks.

also, i haven’t seen brule as “good” yet either. i’ve seen shifts where he has 4 hits, but i haven’t seen him make smart plays in the defensive end at all and it seems that once he’s jacked up after a few hits he forgets that he can pass…seriously, like a peewee puck hog.

if the call is between brule and pouliot, i keep pouliot up without a doubt.

toqueboy: I’m of the opinion a struggling veteran goalie is worth two rookie goalies. Every time. Ideally, you’d like Deslauriers to see some game action mid-season and spend the rest of the year in the minors.

If the Oilers deal Roloson before camp breaks and run with JDD as the backup, the playoffs become a (more) distant bell.

Pouliot would be ahead of Stortini on my depth chart and alongside Brodziak (seriously), so you’re preaching to the choir.

8. mjsh says:

13 of your top guys were on the ice last night. Notice I did not say played last night. I am still pissed as hell at that performance. I said in another post, where was Lee Fogolin? Where was the professionalism? Some heads should have been banged together between periods last night. My optimism is gone. There is something missing with this group. Leadership in the room. No Messier, Smith, or as you can guess my favorite Fogolin. I do think Rolly was decent last night. Maybe one bad goal. The rest were bad plays from the bodies around him. I agree that a trade is coming. I think Macintyre stays if he beats Roy tomorrow night and Brule has to stay. I wonder how long the members of the “kid line” stay up.

None of the Kid Line are going to be sent out. I still haven’t seen confirmation that they took two days off but if they did wouldn’t that be part of the reason for Tuesday?

10. Dennis says:

Brule goes out there and hits people but I don’t see a whole lot else from him.

Maybe the Oil keep the kid around but 78 has to stay because the brass isn’t struck on 34 as a pivot and 78 has to be the other bottom six pivot alongside 51.

In other news, Dempster doesn’t lose at Wrigley all year; we’re one game into the playoffs and the Cubs are in trouble already.

I’m not told enough to remember ’81 but I still hate the Dodgers and outside of the 89 season with Jerome Walton and Dwight Smith, I’ve never had a reason to hate on the Cubs.

The Cubs have Lou so that series isn’t over. You can pretty much count on one weird Piniella win every time he gets to the post-season, suspect it’ll be G3 (Cubs should win G2 imo).

The Angels have Vladdy so they’re the guys I’m cheering for, never thought I’d cheer against the BoSox in the postseason but their fans are dinks now.

12. Jonathan says:

You know, Dennis, everything I’ve seen/read tells me that Pouliot fits that third line centre job better than any other candidate currently on the roster. I’m not as high on him as you or LT, but I like the guy and I think he’s a player.

That said, everything I’ve seen/read tells me that the Oilers don’t feel the same way. I don’t think he’s in the plans – the quotes aren’t there, the ice-time isn’t there, and everything seems to indicate that he just doesn’t see eye-to-eye with MacTavish and co.

Jonathan: Perfectly put. Absolutely spot on.

14. HBomb says:

Hey! I take offense to that, especially as a disenfranchised Expos fan who only started cheering for the BoSox when Pedro got traded there….

I bet Grabia takes offense to it too!

15. Schitzo says:

jonathan – I have to agree with you. The last time someone disappeared into the MacT no-comment zone, we were wondering what Raffi’s role would be this year. And Lupul the year before that…

HBomb: Well I don’t mean Expos fans, they’re the cream of the crop. :-)

17. mjsh says:

LOL. They took last night off too. It is not unheard of for a player to play well in his rookie season, get a bit of a big head and need something to awaken him. Do not get me wrong, I love the kids, just think that maybe there is a bit of fat catism showing up. ie. not having to work as hard. Good leadership in the room can deal with that. If not, management has to do it and my guess is that any of the three of them could be sent down without having to clear waivers. Not necessary for a long time, just for a wakeup call.

It was terrible watching the flames bottle them up in the oilers own end.

18. Lord Bob says:

Here’s my question. I posed it on BoA earlier today so my apologies for the repeat, but here we go:

Why can’t the Oilers waive Roloson and stash him in the minors if necessary, sign, say, Jocelyn Thibault for $850,000-ish a year, and use the $2 million-odd cap savings with one of the forward prospects to land a slightly overpaid veteran defenseman?

What’s the flaw in this plan? How big a drop is it between Roloson and Thibault for twenty games a year?

19. Jonathan says:

Thibault:
    2005-06: 1-9-3, 4.46 GAA, .876 SV%
    2006-07: 7-8-2, 2.83 GAA, .909 SV%
    2007-08: 3-4-2, 3.31 GAA, .869 SV%

Roloson:
    2005-06: 14-24-5, 2.73 GAA, .899 SV%
    2006-07: 27-34-6, 2.75 GAA, .909 SV%
    2007-08: 15-17-5, 3.01 GAA, .901 SV%

I think the drop off is significant. If salary is really an issue, Moreau could always be shipped down the river.

Roloson's number counts toward the cap no matter, and if you plan on convincing me that JDD>Roloson this season you better pack a lunch because it'll take all day.

mish: How many games has Gagner looked horrible since the pre-season began? According to the Oilers site he's 2gp, 1-1-2 E so far with 8 shots. He was bad last night, no doubt. He's going to get hemmed in this season like he did last year, no doubt.

But good grief man he's capable of doing incredible things. WHY would you send him down even if he struggled for a time?

21. Coach pb9617 says:

Some of you fellows need to take a valium and stay off of the wagon until the regular season starts.

I just looked it up and, sure enough, the Stanley Cup has never been awarded at the conclusion of preseason. In fact, I did some research and found that playoff spots have never been awarded at the conclusion of preseason.

Preseason is for learning about your new teammates; finding a role on your team both through play and psychology; getting in game shape; and avoiding injuries. No one cares about records except for the obsessed, those guys sending out the best line under 25 since, well, 1983.

Entire teams take preseasons off and manage to win championships. See: Colts, Indianpolis, [NFL]. Taking a look at the MLB, since LT is so inclined:

The White Sox, Red Sox, Phillies, and Dodgers combined to go 42-68 in preseason and somehow battled it out out to get to the playoffs without fanbase meltdowns.

22. Asiaoil says:

Still think half a season in the AHL would do Brule a world of good to re-find his scoring touch and fine tune his defensive game. My dream package is Schremp and JDD for a decent vet 3rd line center who can win a few faceoffs.

23. Lord Bob says:

Jonathan: Who the hell was Thibault playing behind, though?

LT: You’re sure that Rolo’s on the cap regardless? I know there’s that over-35-on-signing clause but I thought that only applied in case of retirement.

Lord Bob: I think the only way you can get out of it is if the player signs in Russia or you’re Lou Lamoriello.

25. toqueboy says:

LT:

or you’re burke and believe you’re the best team in your division by far, so you just farm out your excess talent within the other tourist states.

and for the record, i would rather play rollie for 20 games than JDD, but i’d rather neither play and we had a direction that was a little stronger…

after last night’s game, i’m really worried about the oilers…we have looked bad all preseason and last night was a men/boys situation…gagne being the smallest most error prone boy of them all…this doesn’t bod well and for all the talk of the cup isn’t won in the preseason…the cup is certainly lost when you come out of the gate on the road with a team that can’t win a faceoff or get out of their own end…

two weeks ago i was super pumped about the oilers…4 webcast/tv games later combined with the huge swing in macT’s plans has me thinking we’re still a 9-12 team, as much as i hate that thought.

26. nancy says:

Could Gagner even be sent to the minors or would they have to offer him to his junior team first? I know what the rules are for 18-19 year old players coming out of junior, but I have no idea if they still apply if that player has a full NHL season under his belt.

27. HBomb says:

I’m 98% positive he’d have to go back to junior, believe it or not, since he’s not 20 years old yet. But that’s not going to happen. Gagner is here to stay.

And Lowetide…the second Martinez went to the Red Sox was about the time it started to become VERY apparent that the Expos were “terminal” and it was only a matter of time. I may have cheered for the Jays in the World Series in 1992 and 1993, but I always considered myself an Expos fan first. Even at age 11, I loved the underdog. Case in point, the Dallas Cowboys were dominating the NFL, but I decided to become a 49ers fan….that sort of thing.

HBomb: Yeah, I’ve had a hard time since the Expos left. I sort of cheer for the “Red” teams, Angels, Cards, BoSox.

I miss the Expos. A lot.

29. Coach pb9617 says:

Just. Stop.

30. NBOilerFan says:

I just caught the Oiler video showcase on Brule and watching it you clearly see his potential upside… great shot, great speed, great finish and not afraid to crash and bang.

We haven't seen the great shot yet in preseason and still needs to pull everything together, but I really think Brule will end up being a heck of an additon for ths club.

I was always a huge Torres fan and I Brule is indeed looking like a nice replacement.

31. Black Dog says:

coachpb9617 – man I am with you

should Flames’ fans now commit suicide en masse due to last night’s “debacle”?

Jesus

The only concern coming out of preseason is health and so far (knock knock) things look good.

Anyways, I figured Spurgeon still had a chance and I’ll bet we see him again soon.

And I thought this McIntyre was headed for Springfield but more and more it sounds like they are seriously considering keeping him. What, Marc LaForge wasn’t available?

A guy who could play would be nice.

32. mk says:

Did anyone see the Angels play at commonwealth stadium when Reggie Jackson took the lead off only to swing through three straight pitches and make the stadium explode? I too was onboard the expos wagon at that time (up until that little lock out fiasco) but that one game in 1978(?) made me a California Angels fan for life. As it turns out.

I think the Oil are setting up a cup run three years from now. Core signed through 2012, I think KLo has no plans to win this year. They still have their own pick in the 09 draft, seems to me.

Best Oil move, imo, is to build the players to be contenders future. Not much value in the 8th spot when home playoff games no longer translate to the ability to sign doug weight.

I would love to see them roll JDD Dubnyk and Fischer through the back up slot all year, see players like Brule and Sestito roll through the 4th line, and Penner learn to check like Fernando.

With a Klo/MacT development program focused four years down the road, a home ice first round game may be more probable than likely. As for me though, I’ve seen enough of the 8th seed in the west, maybe cause I was badly spoiled with football and hockey titles in my youth.

I want a contender and if that means I gotta watch 37 cough it up a bunch more times over the next three years, then I’m cool with that. What will 3 years beside Lubo do for Grebs really? Kid could become dynamite for defensive outlet, gonchar style. Not there yet, and probably not by the beginning of the coming season either.

Didn’t last year the Oilers have the youngest team in the league? Does anyone honestly think they’ve got any chance to contend? And if they’re not contending, can it be fun to watch them grow rather than us demand wins to land the 8th spot and the 15th pick? again?

As for me, I wanna see kids become men and grow into playoff champions. Like Pedro and Randy and maybe this year we can add Vlad then in three years maybe add sam, cogs, ales…

33. Sean says:

coachpb9617 – man I am with you

I second that.

34. toqueboy says:

i’m not sure why i’m just supposed to “stop”

since the cup run, the oilers have been good for exactly 20 games out of 164…we’ve won 3 playoff rounds in 9 years? 7 years maybe?

i don’t know why i’m being told to stop when all i’m paving is the road we’ve been on consistently under this regime.

young kids starting the season on the road is super troubling to me, let alone without a third line centre, our captain looking old and out young kids looking, well, young. the oiler’s have the toughest first 1/4 season that they’ve maybe ever had. this is along with all the uncertainty is plenty of reason to have a little concern

althought we have 15 centre men in the system, we only have on our team. we’re going to give up a lot of shots on the road.

imagine if all of cogs, gagne, gilbert and brodziak all have less than 20 points…i’m not saying it’ll happen, but imagine if it does…we’d be fucked, which isn’t to say i don’t like those guys, but we’re putting a surprising amount of trust in really green players, which bodes well for us in 3-4 years and could mean we struggle for another two years.

we only won 22 games last year (without shootout), so i think my tempered enthusiasm is warranted

i don’t live in edmonton, so i’m a little out of the rosey glow that seems to be surrounding the team/blog. i think there are more concerns on this team than positives.

now. i’ll. just. stop. bah humbug.

35. Coach pb9617 says:

Preseason – The period immediately before the start of a new season, in which athletes undergo intensive training and participate in exhibition* games.

*exhibition – a game whose outcome is not recorded in the season’s standing

36. toqueboy says:

@ pb

i think record is absolutely irrelevant in preseason as well, given a ridiculous amount of parameters.

player’s apparent preparedness to come out of the gate is a much larger indicator and we have significant portions of our lineup that do not look sharp and perhaps they can flick the switch, but we have a large number of veterans and rookies who are fighting the puck, so i don’t think we’re sitting that pretty to take it on the road (especially without a centre) and i think it’s within the realm of possibility that given the looksies so far, this team is a 5-15 team out of the gate given the schedule.

i hope i’m wrong, but our individual player performance has been even worse than our “record” so far

37. Coach pb9617 says:

Dustin Pedroia hit .152 during spring training*.

Now he’s the American League MVP.

*spring training – preseason1 training during the spring.

1 Preseason – The period immediately before the start of a new season, in which athletes undergo intensive training and participate in exhibition2 games.

2exhibition – a game whose outcome is not recorded in the season’s standing

Cliff Lee was 1-1 with a 5.68 ERA and gave up 27 hits in 19 innings during spring training.*

Now he’s the american league Cy young winner.

*spring training – preseason1 training during the spring.

2exhibition – a game whose outcome is not recorded in the season’s standing.

It doesn’t count, no one cares except for the meat fighting to make the show. There are all of 4 guys on this team that should be playing their collective butts off, and the rest should be getting in some decent workouts and avoiding injury. Injuries during preseason* destroy teams.

*Preseason – The period immediately before the start of a new season, in which athletes undergo intensive training and participate in exhibition1 games.

1exhibition – a game whose outcome is not recorded in the season’s standing.

Flip the switch? They’ve all been playing hockey since they were four years old. They can certainly flip the switch whenever they’d like.

How can all of you make these broad, sweeping judgements on this team without having seen a single meaningful game? You’re basing pronouncements and making roster moves off of series of games that no one is actually trying to win. Have any of you ever actually been through a preseason* before as a fan or is this a brave new world?

1exhibition – a game whose outcome is not recorded in the season’s standing.

38. Coach pb9617 says:

Would you be so kind as to compare this year’s roster to the rosters of those other teams and tell me what those other teams have to do with this team?

That would be great.

39. Black Dog says:

toqueboy – I’m with you in being concerned about the first quarter of this season and the season in general – I think this team has a shot at the playoffs – we’ll see

this team lacks a veteran third line centre and a shutdown Dman (or two) and goaltending may be an issue

but worrying because of a preseason result that mattered so much to the coach that he gave the team the weekend off right before it? and the stuff the week before when it was scrubs upon scrubs

these guys are easing into it – the season is ten days away – when it comes they will be ready to play

whether or not they are good enough is another matter but don’t sweat Monday night’s loss. I doubt Flames’ fans are sweating last night

40. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh, I’m not saying they are going to be good. For all I know, they are going to finish 14th. But I do know that I’d never base anything I thought, and especially anything I set forth publicly for discussion or criticism, based on preseason performance.

It’s like judging a mill worker on the last eight minutes of a shift, or an office worker on the last 30 minutes of a week prior to a three day weekend. Generally, it’s just asinine.

41. Dennis says:

Cliff Lee? He was once Expos property.

Of course.

One of the things that’s bothered me about watching the EX Oilers is that the 37 that’s shown up is the one that placed in the first half of ’08 and the 77 that’s shown up is the one from the second half of ’08; these are the inverses of what we need.

And you start to consider that and the fact that Staios is getting older and Souray isn’t a puckmover and that Smid’s so young and this is when you start to panic a little.

Regarding the roster make-up, the Oil might not be high on 78 but he is a legit pivot and 88 has done nothing major in this camp and unless they’re gonna bring in a vet pivot, you’ll see 78-67 as the 12-13 guys and then Macintyre as the 14th guy.

I’m convinced they’re gonna hold onto to the Ox as the 14th guy and that means JDD will be chanced through waivers as soon as the 23 man roster has to be set.

42. Bruce says:

Cliff Lee? He was once Expos property.

Dennis: Remeber this trade?

Cleveland trades Bartolo Colon, Tim Drew and cash to the Expos for Lee Stevens and three prospects: pitcher Cliff Lee, outfielder Grady Sizemore and shortstop Brandon Phillips.

The Expos sure knew how to scout ‘em, what?

43. Bruce says:

Speaking of young talent, Evan Longoria came up for his first postseason at-bat this afternoon and crushed the first pitch for a home run to open the scoring. Two innings later he came up with the score again tied, and once again hammered the first pitch out of the park to put the Rays out in front yet again. Third time up with the score still 4-3, he slumped to an RBI single, driving in the insurance run which by hockey standards would be the “game winner”.

What a debut on the Big Stage.

44. Dennis says:

Bruce: Yeah, I remember where I was when it was announced.

45. toqueboy says:

well…we disagree on the merits of preseason …coach

if preseason doesn’t matter than why do they select their teams during it?

you honestly think that a 33 year old can just turn it on after two full years of injury? you’re either not old enough or haven’t had a serious enough injury…and not only is our captain like this, but our only real centre and our only really physical dman…etc

since everyone comparres to other sports i’ll posit…could you make it through q-school in golf by just switching it on? not a chance, situational conditions are required… could you win a f1 race if you didn’t work/prepare hard during qualifying?

re uselessness of player evaluation in preseason. at what point do you stop the slide you’ve started…does the regular season not count because the playoffs are all that matter, which would make claude lemieux ten times the player that joey t is? the super series last year was exhibition, but gagne sure looked good by all those who watched…needless to say…i disagree immensely. pre season is a huge part and while record doesn’t matter you’d like to see some positives, which are pretty far and few between right now

two last things…i believe that calgary is a little conceerned about kipper based on preseason…their backup, the amount of money tied up in kipper and his declinning play. it’s a potential weakness in their franchise and it’s once again painfully obvious in what, oh yeah, the preseason.

anyhow i’m a huge believer in task management and preparedness and the oilers look a far way from being ‘ready’…maybe hemsky can flip that switch, but he’s maybe the only one with elite skill to do it against othe elite players.

shit…do we even have a bright spot like brodziak or cogs last year? if anything this meaningless preseason has illustrated our deficits more than any other year.

moss isn’t going to lead the flames in scoring but he’s certainly showed that he’s prepared…we have 9 goals so far against ahl opposition…last in the nhl…to me this says that we’re not yet prepared for the regular season, which is why i’m happy there’s still another week of preseason/practice for the oil.

anyhow we obviously disagree but next time i’d appreciate it if you didn’t treat me like a highschool kid…i know the definition of preseason just fine thank…and also, for every baseball example you came up with it would be easy to find the opposite…and to quote you, what does baeball have to do with this year’s version of the oil?