Winner

He’s a bit of an odd duck but this man knows a little about winning. Congratulations Pat and best of luck in your next town.

7 Responses to "Winner"

1. HBomb says:

Philadelphia got what it deserved.

I am now watching the Ducks/Wings game and hoping the same happens to Corey Perry, but in a more negative sense. What a diving punk.

2. doritogrande says:

Canadian Matt Stairs gets a ring. That’s all I really care about here.

I was actually more interested in the Leafs game tonight. Say what you want about the fan-base, the Leafs are not the same team (and franchise) they used to be. They’ve gone back to basics and the guys that left actually “get it”.

Plus Jamie Moyer gets a ring, I believe it’s his first one (although I haven’t followed baseball much since Bud killed it in ’94).

I remember watching Moyer as a rookie and thinking his ballclub would win a lot of games someday. They did, just not for the team that brought them together.

4. raventalon40 says:

More like the Rays got what they deserved. I’m still upset they beat Boston. But being the marginal baseball fan that I am, seeing them lose means I’m over it now.

What do you think of my new prospect rating system guys?

5. stubby says:

Moyer’s 1st ring. Glad to see an NL team come out on top.

6. Bruce says:

I’m an NL guy too, and Philly has been building an exciting team without some of the world class jerk-offs that they have been famous for over the years (Pete Rose, Len Dykstra, Curt Schilling …) So congrats to them.

Sometimes it’s just your year. Case in point: Brad Lidge, whose perfect record of protecting leads was unofficially spoiled in the All-Star Game (exactly as happened to Eric Gagne a few years back). In Lidge’s case it came home to roost in that it was his own team that lost home field advantage in the Series … except in the end they got to play (and win) three home games in a five-game series, with Lidge himself sealing the deal in front of the home faithful. So even his one failure worked out pretty darn well.

As for Matt Stairs, the Phillies acquired him at the deadline for just that one swing in Dodger Stadium. Might have been the biggest single hit of the season for the Phils.

The Rays had a great run but their defence just fell apart in the Series. Both teams featured a nice group of young stars and played exciting, positive baseball all season long.

7. CrazyCoach says:

I was glad to see Moyer and Stairs win the rings. Both have given a lot and hung around for this day to happen.

Both Balfour and Howell let their team down when it counted.

The Rays may be back next year.