AHLer Punches Ticket to Show

He wasn’t the obvious choice but he’s the one who got the call. Tim Sestito is on a plane to the NHL and good for him.

Edmonton’s coaching group have said many nice things about him, pointing out many assets he possesses that don’t show up on the scoreboard.

These intangibles apparently contribute to wins, although they are not measured by any known gauge.

I wrote about Sestito here, and I’ve never seen an intangible score a goal, but I’m absolutely certain Kelly Buchberger is convinced this is the right move.

I think Craig MacTavish may see it as sending a message to the troops, Kevin Lowe is apparently in love with the word “throttling” and Steve Tambellini is not helping.

Wins and losses and how they happen will have to wait for another day.

69 Responses to "AHLer Punches Ticket to Show"

1. DeBakey says:

That's interesting

Before Liam "The New Thor" Reddox was called up,
    He, Lefebvre & Sestito were playing together.
    The tough minutes line by the looks of it.

Now Reddox & Sestito have been re-called.
    Both are mius players,
    meanwhile Lefebvre is +6.
    Lefebvre also has a Falcon-leading 55 PIM -indicating jam?

Ya think Buchberger is pimping the guys he knows?

On a slightly related note,
    I see Goulet & Macdonald have been sent to Stockton.

2. Black Dog says:

I keep thinking of that club, it was big when I was little and remains so, almost forty years later.

How does it go?

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Does Smid at least go back to the blue?

3. DeBakey says:

Think then type.

Pursuant to my earlier comment.

Lefebvre may not have been called up due to his contract status.
    Is he an Oiler or a Falcon?
    Also, there is the waiver question.

There,
    I’ve just cut Bucky some slack

DeBakey: That isn’t it, they could just purchase his contract and delete someone on the 50 man list. Colin McDonald is a candidate.

5. IceDragoon says:

Goodness gracious…

If this call, to give a guy a taste of the NHL and some coin for all his hard work in the ‘A’, is going to send you into a tizzy… you need a perspective adjustment. Oh the horrors… if he happens to see a few minutes on the 4th line.

Good grief.

Can’t stay and chat with you ladies.

I just wanted to give Dennis a heads up that I finally reponded to him… now in Lt’s archives.

L8r
    Louise

Louise: I think it’s impossible to argue this was the best possible callup. Other forces (waiver worries, etc) had an impact and so when we ask “is the best possible player in the system to address need” it’s completely reasonable to question this transaction.

7. IceDragoon says:

Lain, whoever we call up is not going to fill the team’s need. We need a veteran, right-handed, centre.

Why begrudge a young guy getting some props for his effort in the organization? This is done all the time.

I really do have to go.

L8r

8. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m assuming that he was recalled to replace 71 on the first pairing?

Louise: Gilbert Brule might be able to fill what we can agree was an effective “Curtis Glencross 4line” role that hasn’t been replaced. That’s not nothing.

This is one of those galling Kevin Lowe asset management deals that tells me Tambellini probably isn’t in charge, or at least not to the point where silliness like this is no longer part of the equation.

Use your best people, give your coach the best possible roster. Who disagrees with that?

10. Jonathan says:

It was inevitable that at some point Tim Sestito was going to end up with the Oilers at the big league level. Undrafted guy, has his name thrown out there by some higher up every so often, and then the NHL contract despite the 50-man list and his obvious low-end upside.

I’m not sure if Sestito’s played centre (he’s listed as a winger), so uless MacTavish is going to pull both Stortini and Reddox out of the lineup, either Sestito isn’t playing or Smid’s going back to his natural position.

I don’t read this like you do LT – since Tambellini was brought in this summer, the organization has taken a run at Laraque and another (as far as I know still unnamed) enforcer who they didn’t get. They’ve grabbed MacIntyre off waivers and he got hurt, so they went after Boulerice who has no discernible NHL ability. The guys they’ve recalled – Peckham, Reddox and Sestito – with the exception of Reddox (an agitating role player), they’re guys whose main calling card is hitting.

This is a new pattern, and not a recognizably “Kevin Lowe” pattern. For as long as I can remember, the Canucks have had a hit-first, play hockey later 4th line, and it wouldn’t surprise me if Tambellini institutes that here.

Jonathan: Good point on Tambellini. I believe Sestito has been the 4line center in Springfield for some time.

12. Kris says:

1. I can’t say I like the call-up, but I do appreciate how patient the brass are being with Brule. Probably a good move to give him a few more weeks in he A.

2. I can’t help but think there’s a really good, possibly mildly lewd nickname for Sestito. I just can’t quite figure out what it is.

Which of the follwing works best?

Titso
    Titter
    Sestitty
    Titsy
    Zesty
    S-diddy
    S-titty
    Crapstito

Or can any of you think of something better?

13. Baroque says:

Too bad he wasn’t called up to Montreal. With the Kostitsyn brothers, some fans have already labeled them Big Tits and Little Tits. Sestito on the same team would be several different flavors of funny. :)

14. B.C.B. says:

I hate to say this (because I hoped to be wrong), but I thought so. Why? because it is the pattern, thanks Jonathan to let me know where it is coming from.

15. mc79hockey says:

16. Kris says:

“I think we should call him Personality. I mean, Sugartits are great, but at the end of the day, when you’re staring down the barrel of fifty years – the wise man goes for Personality.”

???

Why capitalize ‘Personality?’

Are you okay mc79? Marriage issues?

17. mc79hockey says:

Confidential to Kris: A search for the word “sugartits” on this blog turns up a surprising amount of hits.

18. hunter1909 says:

I can imagine Schremp finally getting a “chance” to play for the Oilers, and by the time it finally happens the entire arena will be booing him every time he touches the puck.

19. mc79hockey says:

Yes, they’ve clearly turned fan sentiment against him. Just the other day I saw a fellow mention his name and fail to genuflect as he did so.

20. hunter1909 says:

Schremp needs genuflecting.

21. Doogie2K says:

@Jonathan: The thing is, Katz was trying to woo LeGG back to the team since free agency started (they work out at the same gym, was I believe the story), several weeks before Tambellini was even hired. I wonder if the goon show isn’t really a directive from on high.

22. Coach pb9617 says:

Given that, Horcoff is Personality.

Annnnnnd man, do young men HATE personality.

23. hunter1909 says:

“She’s no Miss World, but she’s got a great personality.”

Beware Young Man!

24. Dennis says:

He’s here for the hard-to-fine ‘pop’ I guess but maybe he’s here to kill penalties as well; he was the guy who dropped down to block that shot in the preseason and then hobbled back to the bench after staying on to eventually clear the zone, right?

JW makes a good point about how the Dys used to have a “no hands Ma!” line so maybe that’s the way our last troika’s going. Though I’d imagine it’s a reflection of”

- Brule’s special case waiver restrictions

- Schremp’s square peggedness

- Sesito’s Pking acumen though that hasn’t worked out that well for us with young Reddox.

We’ve already seen something sensible reported today with the news of the latest top nine formation so maybe two sensible news items in one day is too much to ask for.

note: please don’t throttle me, mr. lowe!!

25. raventalon40 says:

Lowetide: Anybody missing on the Oilers management page here?

I like Reddox and Sestito but I don’t agree with the Sestito call up. I would have preferred Tyler Spurgeon based on PK and FO skills alone. He’s no veteran RH center but he’s the closest thing on the farm besides Ryan O’Marra…

Also, I think either Moreau or Reddox could fill the GlenX role amiably though Moreau would probably be a bit more dependable in that regard based on experience alone.

raven: the hockey ops pecking order, here:

I miss Earl Weaver. He’d always bring the best 23 men north and work them into situations in April and May. He wouldn’t let the kids out of the bullpen, it was verboten to throw fastballs in fastball situations and he usually had somebody playing third base in April who didn’t really play third base.

But come June 1 he’d have his rotation in order, he’d have found a gem amongst the bullpen kids and darned if the third baseman/catcher/left fielder wasn’t contributing somehow.

There was logic and reason. MacT used to be like that, too. I think it’s plenty of reason why the Oilers have so many bloggers, there’s an actual thought process one can follow.

Or was, anyway.

27. Coach pb9617 says:

To be fair to Powder, he hasn’t had a chance to kill penalties since Penner and Gagner won’t come off the ice when they are short-handed.

28. hunter1909 says:

It seems MacT has been given a team he cannot coach.

29. Traktor says:

“he was the guy who dropped down to block that shot in the preseason and then hobbled back to the bench after staying on to eventually clear the zone, right?”

That was Spurgeon.

I just read that Springfield was 27th out of 29 teams in the AHL in PK proficiency.

If we’re looking at one of the worst PK units in the AHL to help us in this regard then management has set a new all time Lowe.

Basically when you call up Reddox and Sestito it says a whole lot about what the coach thinks about Pouliot and Brodziak. If MacT doesn’t trust Pouliot or Brodziak with real responsibility then why in the world are we holding on to them? There’s always a new batch of kids on the way and lets be honest – players like Pouliot/Reasoner/Brodziak who’s game plan is based around not messing up are a dime a dozen on the UFA market for 700k.

It’s clear with a bunch of players like Schremp, Pouliot, Peckham, Smid, Chorney, JFJ ect all within a few months of development to each other and with the daycare already full on the Oilers that management was going to have to make a bunch of decisions and a few of those guys mentioned would be sent out for rentals. If were going to be cutting bait with a bunch of players in the near future why wait? If you don’t believe in Pouliot or Brodziak then why hold on to them?

I’ve always been a Lowe guy but he’s definitely not helping out MacTavish’s hand right now. You either fire the coach or trade the players that he refuses to put trust in. I’m starting to agree with those who bitched about Lowe waiting until the last song playing before he asked another GM to dance.

30. jameskong123 says:

two teams in toronto? This is a pretty interesting article. Y’all should check it out

31. Dennis says:

It very well may end up reflecting upon 51 or 78 but 46 is the first guy whom the Reddox call-up impacted and now perhaps Sesito after him.

32. Bill Needle says:

Any other AHL fourth-liners to call up? Claude Lemieux?

33. Bank Shot says:

I don’t, but how do you know that Mactavish didn’t request Sestito?

The guy has made it fairly deep into camp the last two seasons despite not having any kind of success at the pro level.

Schremp was cut earlier then Sestito in 07.

This year he was cut at the same time as Potulny, and Reddox.

Mactavish has backed this kid as much as anyone, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s the one who made the decision in this case.

34. St George says:

I don’t think it really matters who we bring up at this point – one AHL player isn’t going to fix the issues that the Oilers currently face. (I will grant that it is interesting to read the various arguments for one player vs. another, but it really is a moot point.)

To the “hitting” discussion that went on earlier today … I wanted to point out that the Red Wings outhit the Oilers in both games they played the past few weeks.

The Oilers are currently a soft club that don’t make use of physical play, either normal hits to take people out of the play or big hits to intimidate or force turnovers (see Stanley Cup run for a few beauties on opposition D). It seems pretty clear to my eye, so I guess that puts me in Traktor’s side of the ring.

Interesting quote from KP in the Republican:

The big news of the day centered on Falcons captain Tim Sestito, who earned his first-ever NHL call-up when he was promoted to Edmonton. Unlike the earlier call-ups of Liam Reddox and Theo Peckham, Sestito’s elevation was not an injury induced response by the Oilers. Instead, according to Kevin Prendergast, Edmonton’s VP/Hockey Operations who on hand, here, Sesito was brought up to fill a specific need. ” We felt that we needed a little bit more grit,” Prendergast said. “Timmy, being the captain (there) was bringing that every night. “He competes hard. He’s feisty and gets in your face. He’s a good checker. We just felt that was one thing we were missing up there. He’ll get an opportunity, and we’ll see how it goes.”

36. spOILer says:

Isn’t Sestito the kind of round peg round hole stuff people here have been begging for?

I just can’t see the Oil turning their backs on the Brule game plan. Would Earl Weaver really have traded for an still young ex-phenom with the intent of letting him re-find his swing in Triple A and then bring him up as soon as he needed RF fielding?

And for all of MacT’s talk about needing goals (after shutouts mind you), checking, PK, GA, tenacity are apparently the perceived needs, as it has been on this board.

Myself I would have preferred Potulny to play with Brodz, to fire a lot of rubber at the net a la Glencross.

And Louise is right, this isn’t about fundamental need…

This team really needs a decent catcher. They miss Stoll, in many ways, and the lack of plan behind moving him, or the sheer optimism in what remained have been the crux of the first 20 games to me. I’d be pissed if it turned ut contract was an issue. Fisher gets how much, has a little more upside and brings a little more, but gets paid more than what Stoll would’ve brought. Quality RH centres are few and far between, and usually when you have one you overpay a bit to hang onto them. But I suppose there was no way Raffi was going to bring Vish, nor was Joni, and that’s a tough trade to turn down because we got the best player.

Now there’s a need to be addressed that probably should’ve been filled for the cheap price of retaining the services of Mr. Martin J. Sakic, Esq. Either that or there’s a difference of opinion between MacT and Lowe on the quality of their Pou, and it seems we shall get to see who’s right. I just can’t believe Dennis is backing Lowe here:)

DeBakey said
    Now Reddox & Sestito have been re-called.
    Both are mius players,
    meanwhile Lefebvre is +6.
    Lefebvre also has a Falcon-leading 55 PIM -indicating jam?

Ya think Buchberger is pimping the guys he knows?

I also think bringing up a coachable guy has an effect on those bucking/not learning the system. That’s an important reward, even if it ends up just being symbolic. If we didn’t have 3 goalies he might have been here already.

37. Lord Bob says:

Incredibly bad omens for an NHL callup #166: LT’s comment thread is filled with people asking “why didn’t we just call up Guillaume Lefebvre?”

Incredibly bad omens for an NHL callup #167: LT’s actual post has an out-of-focus picture of our newest NHLer in the preseason wearing a number in the sixties.

I don’t get this callup. I mean, we already have Zach Stortini and Jesse Boulerice on the roster and they both duplicate Sestito’s skillset of “none”.

38. Yeti says:

Perhaps you missed Boulerice being put on waivers and claimed by Colorado; and MacT’s recent and rather unenthusiastic comments on Stortini?

39. Lord Bob says:

On the former charge, I plead I-wrote-that-at-five-in-the-morning insanity.

On the latter, justifying a callup on the basis that our coach apparently expects fourth-line pluggers to be Bob Freakin’ Gainey does not improve matters. :P

40. Yeti says:

For sure – I wasn’t attempting to justify the call up. I feel Stortini is getting short-shrift in all of this. He must have had such a sinking feeling in his stomach when Laddi Smid got put on the fourth line in his place. Then he concocts a cunning plan to run over Visnovsky in practice, hence cleverly demoting Smid back to defence, only to find Tim bloody Sesito called up for the fourth line spot. The guy just can’t buy a break at present.

41. mc79hockey says:

Dennis joked once that Lowe couldn’t lose the Salo trade unless Gilbert injured Smyth in practice. I think that the same rule applies to mid-round draft picks.

42. quain says:

I enjoy the whole coaching experience this season. Figuring out what crazy thing is going to happen next is just as much fun as the actual games.

Newsflash MacT: Stortini hasn’t become slower or worse at hockey since this time last year when you were sticking him on a checking line to counteract Sidney Crosby. Either use him or explain why you blew enough smoke up everyone’s ass to get him a new contract, so you could pressbox him for the next three years. And for the love of God, stop calling up shittier versions of him.

43. Lord Bob says:

I predict it here and now. At some point in the next couple weeks, the Oilers will be losing a game by four or five and MacTavish will pull the goalie with, like, six and a half minutes left.

It feels like the next stop on the What Do I Have To Do To Get Fired? Express.

44. danny says:

MC, it was one of the memorable jokes indeed. I think he said “murders Ryan smyth in his sleep” or something close to that.

45. St George says:

Indeed. I remember a few times last spring where MacT gushed publically about how coachable the guy was and how that was helping him develop quickly. I am sure you could still dig them up on the Oilers site if you had the time to listen.

To my eye, his play hasn’t changed, so MacT must have.

46. Coach pb9617 says:

I think it’s just swell that it took Mac 20 games to set the fairly obvious lines that everyone else set up in August.

47. DeBakey says:

"I think Reddox and Sestito likely saw a much different level of competition than Lefebvre."

It is hard to say for sure while
    sitting here in my basement,
    typing with orange fingers.

However
    On Oct 31
    The Springfield line of 9-11-14
    was on the ice for
    an ES GF & an ES GA.
    Then
    On Nov 8, that same line was on the ice for an ES GF.

Scant evidence I know, but it appears Lefebvre was playing on a line with Reddox & Sestito

48. Dennis says:

It isn’t as much backing Lowe, though I guess you could frame it that way considering Lowe seems to like 78 more than MacT, as it is to say it would’ve been better to play 78 as the secondary tough min pivot instead of trying 89, 13 or 34 in that role.

49. spOILer says:

Yeah, I was just kidding, Dennis. But it does seem to me Lowe and MacT have a difference of opinion on 78.

50. Alice says:

What annoys me (aren’t we a cranky lot this week!) is the 4th line blender was completely unnecessary – it worked pretty well last year and they stand up GlenX for what, $200k? At that price it would have been worth it just to have it sorted out. Worst case he’d have been a tradeable asset. Strange choice of situation to showcase your backbone, Mr. Lowe.

51. Dennis says:

And to go a little further, I would rather we had a vet 3rd line pivot and then have 78 as our 10th forward to step in on the top nine in case of injury but given what Lowebellini supplied MacT, I thought it was better off to give 78 a shot.

Personally, I think 37/12 should be shopped as a package to bring in an affordable vet to play with 71-77-44 in the top four AND we should pluck a vet pivot for the second tough min if 78 doesn’t show promise after an 8-10 trial.

Things can be viewed through many prisms and 78′s probably gonna look good to start because he’ll have a few more home games to get his feet wet and while 10-83 will take on O’Sullivan-Kopitar-Brown on Wed night, ColeMoriot will only have to deal with Frolov-Stoll-Moeller.

BTW, I’d do the 16-71 trade again and again but I was one of the few guys who thought 16 still had some usefulness left.

52. Kris says:

Dennis’ last comment that,

“…78′s probably gonna look good to start because he’ll have a few more home games to get his feet wet..”

is quite insightful.

In fact, it got me thinking that we might not be giving MacT enough credit. (Though I still won’t wail and nash my teeth if he gets fired.)

That is, I guess it makes sense that MacT wouldn’t want to put a rookie or sophomore at 3C until after this 5000 game road trip.

I mean, it makes sense; it’s harder to teach young players when you’re on the road. There’s more travel time and less practice/video time. And I suppose not having the last change is relevant here, too. When you’re rooking is looking a little weak it’s hard to protect him, if you don’t have last change.

53. Kris says:

rookie, not rooking. God, I blog badly.

54. slipper says:

I’m really buying into Yeti’s theory.

Stortini surely injured Vish on purpose and nothing could convince me otherwise. Desperate times for 46, but atleast he’s showing drive.

55. St George says:

Amen sister. That’s less than one-half of one percent of the Oilers payroll for a experienced and consistent fourth-line player (who is doing quite well in Cowtown from the 3-4 games I have seen). Any way you look at it, Lowe held up his reputation for botching deals over inconsequential amounts of dough.

56. Traktor says:

Glenx has 1 less point than Shawn Horcoff right now – so yeah, losing him over 200k seems moronic.

57. relic says:

I don’t think it’s valid to criticize not signing GX without considering the context of the whole situation at the time. I’m sure there’s old threads for it but I can’t be bothered to link to them or rehash the whole thing. I will add that I haven’t been blown away by what I’ve seen of GX this year. Would this team really be better with GX and Reasoner on the fourth line? no doubt there would have been screams about not playing the kids, ruining development curves, not knowing how to handle prospects, rotting in the minors etc….

58. Sean says:

Apparently TSN thinks Sestito plays for Columbus

59. Kris says:

It’s hard to say that GlenX would’ve solved all our problems. It’s true that the fourth line was flying last year, but then again… so was the kid line! Sometimes things don’t work out from year to year.

BTW, GlenX is still replaceable: the brass just haven’t tried to replace him.

60. R-Gib says:

Good point Kris.

Reasoner was an easy sign that Lowe walked away from as well. Would’ve made sense (to me, anyway) to sign the guy since Stoll was shipped. Worst-case scenario? His role is filled by one of the kids and you ship him out for a Messier rookie card. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

61. Ribs says:

Sean – Columbus has Tom Sestito, we have Tim Sestito. I remember getting them confused when reading something from Gare Joyce a while back. Confusing, indeed.

62. HBomb says:

Hey look kids! There’s Big Ben! And there’s Parliament!

GlenX is still replaceable: the brass just haven’t tried to replace him.

Kris: right on the money. Sestito isn’t the answer, nor is Reddox. An actual NHL’er would be nice.

63. doritogrande says:

Our options for a young checking centre just got a little thinner today.

The leaves traded Alex Steen along with Ambulance Coliacovo for the guy who Stempniak’d us.

64. gary says:

Sestito’s fun to say, but he’s no Cal Clutterbuck.

65. HBomb says:

Sestito’s fun to say, but he’s no Cal Clutterbuck.

If there is a better name in pro sports today, I haven’t heard it yet.

Cal Clutterbuck. Sounds like the name of a Texas ranchhand to me….

66. Doogie2K says:

If there weren’t regulations to consider, Clutterbuck would be a Sun headline writer’s wet dream. Just imagine the first time his turnover loses the game.

67. Darcy says:

During the exceptional run at the end of last year, the Oilers often started the game out slow.

The 4th line then came out and either dominated the boards in the offensive zone, or plastered a few players into the boards.

This energy got the rest of the team going. As funny as it sounds the Oilers went as the 4th went.

They are looking for that again this year.

They have to give their scorers a chance to score, but you can rotate the energy guys until you find some who do what you want them to do.

With MacTavish going back to a reasonable mix on the first 3 lines tomorrow (27,10,83)(12,13,89)(18,78,26) lets hope the 4th line can do their job and amp the team.

I am in the camp that at the professional level the coach cannot motivate the team alone, the players must do that themselves.

What the coach can do however, is provide the structure to succeed, and MacTavish has been a little suspect on that this year, but the players have been suspect as well.

68. IceDragoon says:

Lain: might??? Looks like high risk with limited reward to me.

Brule’s not ready. The plan was/is to bring him along slowly.

Yesterday Jason Gregor relayed the opinion of a scout, not with the Oilers or Jackets. Last year in a nut shell – Brule’s confidence was gone, he’d lost his game, and the only constant was his indecisiveness. After viewing him in four games this year – his game is coming back, but he still second-guesses himself at times.

“At times” is progress, I think. We should let it continue.

Looks more like a coach cracking a whip to me.

Now, that is funny.
    ;-D

Dennis: It was only a matter of time. I’m hoping 89 will be taking draws tho, even if he then shifts to RW. He will be a centre on this team.

MacTavish may have only added the ‘bat****’ last year, but he’s always been ‘crazy’, most notably, early in each season. A little crazy always seems to accompany brilliance tho, as all you crazy cats would know.
    ;-D

MacT has a few tendencies that make me want to smack him upside the head, and he’s never been able to read a goalie. But, when it’s crunch time, the man has some of the calmest feet in the business, and his team follows his lead.

It’s MacT that sees a Carbonneau in Pouliot. He also has a pretty good handle on learning curves, imho.

Before we knew Reasoner wasn’t coming back, a top DD was #1 on my wish list. I don’t expect {expect the unexpected? riiight;-)} any moves till January, tho.

Perhaps, if the team plays well enough, Lowebellini will finally fill in some holes and maybe… give our coach the best possible roster. Wouldn’t that be nice for a change. Oh, look… that cloud looks like lemon meringue…
    ;-D

L8r
    Louise

69. Bruce says:

Right you are, Louise, as usual … and thanks for the compliment. :D I especially agree about the early-season-especially-crazy notion; MacT tries all sorts of weird shit early in the season. Last year it was right around now that he ran Stortini on to the line with Stoll and Torres, in which MacT discovered his 220-lb. agitator was defensively aware and responsible, and that his temporary linemates were whiners. After 8.66 mostly successful games and 1 horrid period in which Crosby & Co. burned the Oilers badly, it was the whiners who wound up in the pressbox, and eventually at new addresses.

Just because you don't always learn what you wanted or even expected to learn doesn't mean it isn't worth learning. As has been discussed in some of the threads that you may have missed during your prolonged silence — and welcome back!! — some of it may be a deliberate attempt to take players outside of their comfort zone. Hence, Pisani (or Smytty) at centre, Gagner and Penner on the PK, etc. If it doesn't click, the players still learn from the experience and perhaps build on the weak parts of their game. If it does click, well …