Crossing Jordan

Jordan Eberle has a hat-trick tonight, and as of now his WHL stats read 17gp, 14-12-26, +4. That would put him in a first place tie in goals and tied for second in points.

Stu MacGregor you magnificent bastard.

25 Responses to "Crossing Jordan"

1. Schitzo says:

I’m loving this policy of drafting for brains and hockey sense, and assuming the rest can be taught.

The only problem is that to get the total package of size AND smarts, you need to be drafting a heck of a lot lower than 22nd. At some point I think we’re going to see the cluster of small, smart forwards thinned out for other assets.

Which is absolutely fine by me – I’d rather we use our prospects as currency and let some other team draft a bunch of coke machines looking for the home run.

Speaking of which, how’s JVR doing this year?

2. PDO says:

Hot damn.

Can’t wait to watch this kid at the World Champs…

3. Schitzo says:

PDO: Think he’ll make it as an 18 year old? I’ve always assumed that 18 year old = 4th line = grinders and 2-way players (give or take the odd Tavares or Gagner)

4. She says:

Hubby and I took the kids to the game tonight. Blades took the day off, but Eberle was very impressive. Nice player.

5. Sean says:

Excellent start for Eberle. I really liked his game in the Oilers-Bears game the one time I saw him. MacGregor’s track record is making the Penner OS look worse.

6. PDO says:

Schitzo….. isn’t he technically a 19 year old in hockey terms? Give or take guys like Gagner who scrape into the draft by a couple days. He only has one year of the WHL left after this one. AFAIK, he’s considered a lock for the team baring health (knocking on wood).

I’m more than a few Pilsners in, so I’m fully willing to admit being way off base here….

7. Schitzo says:

PDO: It’s meant for U20s. Eberle was born in May of 1990, so he’ll only be 18 in December 2008, and 19 in 2009.

From what I remember from the last few years, that’s pretty much par for the course. There’s a couple of undrafted 17 year olds who make the team, then you get two cracks at it after being drafted.

For players who turned 18 in Oct/Nov of 2007, they would have been drafted in Sept 2008 when only a few months shy of 19. Those are the types who only get one kick at the can.

At least I think. I’m also a couple of drinks in.

Yes, that's it (and I'm a few into the case as well).

Sam Gagner is eligible (technically) for this winter but it would be his last one.

Eberle is eligible this season and next fall. An east rule of thumb on this is that the year a player is going to be drafted will be his 17-year old season and only the truly elite make it to the U20 WJC roster.

Age 18 & 19 you've got to be very good or a Maple Leaf draft choice to make the team.

:-)

9. PDO says:

Alright.

We need someone sober to come in here and clear this up, because I’m becoming more confused here by the minute.

10. PDO says:

Or LT answers me while I leave this open..

So the next question is, is Eberle making this team like I think he is, or am I out of my bloody (pissed?) mind?

11. Schitzo says:

PDO: Assuming he’s good enough to beat out kids a year older than him, he’ll make the team.

The one I’m more interested in seeing is Riley Nash, this is his last kick at the can.

Any chance in hell that with all Doughty/Schenn/Hickey/Bogosian making the NHL we see Plante get any consideration?

12. raventalon40 says:

Wow. Jordan Eberle is a stud.

schitzo: I don’t think Eberle will make the team unless he goes to camp and outshines all the same guys in the same category or player “demographic” such as:

Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson, Schremp, Brule, Trukhno

Not that I’m saying Eberle wouldn’t, but IF he does then we would be forced to trade one of them.

13. PDO says:

Raven.

Welcome to the conversation.

We’re talking about Team Canada :D

14. Doogie2K says:

Not necessarily. I mean, an undrafted 18yo can still make the team just fine, no? Or am I misunderstanding what you just wrote?

15. Jonathan says:

Cornet’s got 15 points in 13 games for Rimouski too, which isn’t bad considering his age/draft position.

Now, if only those Euro kids could get some playing time, this could be a very nice draft.

16. Jonathan says:

And since I brought them up, Linus Omark has 8 goals and 14 points in 17 games; just three goals shy of his career high in 55 games last year.

17. Schitzo says:

Doogie: You’re absolutely correct. An undrafted 18 year old is eligible for the team.

What I (poorly) was trying to say is that if you’re the fan of a team who drafts someone with a Sept/Oct/Nov birthday, you only get to root for them at the WJHC once.

I know I was rooting for Gagner in the Summit harder than the rest, simply because he was “ours”.

18. honkey says:

Motin played ~15 minutes and seem to have established himself on the 3rd pairing which is good. Omark had an assist and with his 8+7 he is now tied 11th in league scoring which is very nice.

19. doritogrande says:

God guys, just because the Oilers play a morning game is no reason to hit the sauce before noon. That only leads to trouble, perfectly outlined by LT’s stat-checking.

Jordan Eberle is tied for second in goals (three behind leader Jamie Benn of Kelowna), but is tied for 4th in scoring (leader again is Jamie Benn). He’s also +5.

Speaking of prospects:

VandeVelde: shorthanded assist, -1, 5 shots in a 1-1 weekend.

Petry: even strength assist, +1, 1 shot in a 2-0 weekend.

Riley Nash: better be bench-pressing the shit out of every other prospect or else keeping him at Cornell has been a waste for his development. Plays first game of the season Nov 7.

———————-

I know that we’ve got more than a few little guys on this team, but I can’t overlook a guy like Jordan Weal, Eberle’s teammate who is tied with Jordan for the team lead in points with 26 in his rookie season.

RE: Plante, you’d have to thnk that with the mass exodus of major players from last year’s blueline (Alzner, Doughty, Schenn, Pyett, not sure on Ellerby and Wishart) that there’s going to be some new talent. Now Plante’s having quite the bounce back season, but he’s got a lot of younger guys with previous team Canada experience seeming to have the inside track. In my opinion, he’s in direct competition with the names of Colten Teubert, Tyler Myers and 09 elligible Jared Cowan for the 6-7 spots behind (at least) Thomas Hickey and PK Subban.

20. Doogie2K says:

@Schitzo: Ah, gotcha. Makes sense.

@DG: The other question is whether Plante was even invited to the pre-camp. If not, it’s almost a lock that he stays with the Hitmen for Christmas/New Year’s, because you have to really blow minds to get a sniff in that scenario.

21. kinger says:

The Flyer’s broadcast team is retarded. They were crying about that obvious trip on Hemmer, even when presented the replay.

22. kinger says:

Nice shot. Good to see Cole get on the scoreboard.

23. Bruce says:

Yeah, Danny Syvret is about the only one I can remember who made the WJC team without playing summer camp. He turned heads by racking up points and plusses with that powerhouse London Knights club. But it’s a rare feat.

24. Paper Designer says:

Nice. When was the last time the Oilers had a prospect who did nothing but pump pucks into the net? Even Schremp in his heyday with London played more of a playmaker’s game.

25. honkey says:

Omark with 1G 1A tonight and now has 9+8 in 19 games which puts him tied 8th in scoring.
    Motin with just over 17 min today in a 2-2 tie so our two SEL prospect is doing well for themselfs. SEL is now on a 10 day break for Karja Cup.