Jacques Should be Ready for 2022 Olympics

According to the Oilers website, JF Jacques is getting better and will hit the ice someday. You’ll recall that Jacques waiting about half a year after his injury to have surgery (herniated disc) and is now recovering.

It’s been about 8 weeks since the surgery.

According to the report (on edmontonoilers.com) it is not known if he’ll get back in time for this season. Jacques’ skill set is a pretty nice comp for the guy MacT has been looking for much of this season.

29 Responses to "Jacques Should be Ready for 2022 Olympics"

1. Dennis says:

In theory yes. But in practical application, no.

When you get owned by Kevin Bieksa than there’s really no chance you can hang in against the toughies so while there is a chance he’ll get his head straight and just try and destroy guys there’s no chance he’ll be successful if he ever tries to drop the gloves against guys his own size.

Dennis: As I understand it the guy MacT is looking for is a modern Eddie Shack. Jacques could fill that role, at least the non-fighting “he came from center ice to make that hit” Eddie Shack.

3. Lord Bob says:

“Eddie Shack’s Herniated Back” sounds like a bad Calgary-area club band.

4. Fake Craig McTavish says:

JFJ doesn’t have a discernible skill set. None.

5. Bank Shot says:

Mactavish has been looking for Glencross. He probably saw him scoring 3 points tonight on the highlights.

Kevin Lowe you magnificent son of a bitch.

6. Coach pb9617 says:

So now the natives are restless because of Glencross?

7. Hoos says:

Bankshot Said:

“Kevin Lowe you magnificent son of a bitch.”

There are times, like now that I would like to remove the “magnificent” from that quotation.

8. HBomb says:

Just like it makes sense to look at the trades with LA and Carolina “together” when assessing the outcome, so to does it make sense to look at the non-signing of Glencross when coupled with dealing Torres.

The trade for Brule, which I still don’t mind based on the upside of the player received, well, it would have made a hell of a lot more sense if Glencross had been signed, sealed and delivered and our LW depth was at least secure.

Of all the moves Lowe made between the end of last season and when he was “promoted”, the one I didn’t agree with at the time was not signing Glencross. And right now, given the Oilers 4th line issues and how he’s performing in Calgary, it looks even worse.

9. Ribs says:

Hey, check out the man-beard! The guy is starting to look like a hockey player! Now all he has to do is lose the fruity french name…Jon Franks, anyone?

I suppose there probably is a few other things he should work on first. I am glad to hear he’s feeling better. Back injuries are lifelong and are never fully recoverable. Hopefully he can get to a point where he can have another go at the merry-go round.

10. Bank Shot says:

So now the natives are restless because of Glencross?

Sure why not?

I was in favour of keeping Glencross at $1.2 over Torres at $+2 before they both got shipped out, and now is a pretty good time to remind everyone. ;p

11. DBO says:

While I like what GlenX brought last year, people are forgetting that we still have MacT as a coach. the only reason he let the kid line and the 4th get so much run last year was out of necessity. With no veterans around, he had no choice but to play the kid line, with a healthy dose of the 4th line. Now that he has more veterans on the team macT is more inclined to play the guys who won’t hurt the team. the problem is that those players will never win you many games. they have roles that complement a team, but they do not change the game. Pisani, Moreau (even Cole to some extent) as well as Horcoff are great complementary players that can have good seasons or some impact, but will rarely be a game changer. That is why Hemsky is so important, and why we need to add a top flight player who can change a game on his own. We do not have that player that puts the team on his shoulders. hemsky is learning, and has some great games but a true gamebreaker is what we need. and until we have that, MacT will continue to play his role players, and having GlenX on the 4th line would not make a difference on our record this year.

12. doritogrande says:

“Pisani, Moreau (even Cole to some extent) as well as Horcoff are great complementary players that can have good seasons or some impact, but will rarely be a game changer. That is why Hemsky is so important, and why we need to add a top flight player who can change a game on his own.”

Cogliano and Grebeshkov for Simon Gagne. I was beating that donkey all summer long. Think H-bomb was too.

But that ship has probably sailed, what with him being the leading scorer on his team and all. I’m just waiting to see what kind of return we can get for Cole and Grebeshkov at the trade deadline. I’ve always liked that Nigel Dawes guy from NY. San Jose seems to have the midas touch with prospects they’ve drafted, maybe we could swipe an up and coming goalie from them.

On Jacques…seriously, we gave that dude another contract? Christ.

13. raventalon40 says:

Kevin Bieksa is one tough customer, let’s get that straight.

Let’s see who else Bieksa has destroyed (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

JFJ has shown offensive prowess at least in the AHL. Wherever he’s gone he’s shown that he can take and throw a punch. How does he not have a discernable skill set? I still like Liam Reddox and Tyler Spurgeon better, though.

With a little retrospective, however, I would still take Zach Parise over what we got instead.

14. hunter1909 says:

Watching the Leafs v Thrashers game last night(really entertaining hockey btw), I couldn’t help but be reminded about the contrast between these two skating teams and the butcher boys who wear the Oilers colors this season.

Ham fisted hacking at the puck, 10 foot passes 80% of the time, let’s just clog up the offensive zone with bodies and hope we can fluke one in before the inevitable odd man breakout from the other team. Fucking goalies! Why can’t they play better?

Kovalchuck is astonishing. He makes Hemsky look like M.A. Pouliot.

Of course Oilers would never want such a player. He doesn’t play defence.

15. Jonathan says:

Kovalchuck is astonishing. He makes Hemsky look like M.A. Pouliot.

Of course Oilers would never want such a player. He doesn’t play defence.

Well, it isn’t like he’s helped the Thrashers win any championships… or for that matter, even a playoff round.

16. quain says:

Really? You’re swooning over two teams with worse records than Edmonton, to dis Edmonton? And you’re insulting Hemsky to raise up Kovalchuk? Hemsky has more points!

This is like the NFL equivalent of insulting the Packers by bringing up the Raiders and the Lions and then talking about how Aaron Rodgers will never quite be Jon Kitna.

17. quain says:

To be fair, I totally would’ve made fun of that post before Jonathan but blogger ate my first comment.

Now let’s all name thirty wingers better than Kovalchuk.

18. Ribs says:

I don’t seem to recall Hemsky cross-checking people in the throat when they called him names…..

Kovalchuk is a joke. Probably the biggest waste of talent in all of hockey.

19. hunter1909 says:

You guys don’t like Kovalchuck? Wow.

I thought the Leafs actually beat the Oilers at home the other day. But according to you they’re worse.

When I watched the leafs last night they didn’t spend the game clogging up the offensive zone like MacClod’s Oilers do. They actually skate end to end, the way entertaining hockey should be played.

Maybe it’s the NW division. Like the old Norris division, it’s full of also ran teams who seem more content to beat each other up in inter division games than to actually play anything resembling good, let alone championship hockey.

lol

20. Black Dog says:

hunter – why do you even watch the Oilers? you don’t like the organization, the coach, the way they play or any of the players

Yes the Leafs beat the Oilers and say what you will about Kovalchuk, I would take him on my team.

But I see a lot of the Leafs and they’re a terrible terrible team. And Atlanta is likely a good candidate for contraction.

You can have them.

21. doritogrande says:

Best thing about that Leaves game last night?

Someone ran that punk Blake. I woke up to that this morning, and it’s going to be a good day.

22. Jonathan says:

You guys don’t like Kovalchuck? Wow.

I like Kovalchuk, the same way I liked Pavel Bure. Fantastic players to watch, with a ton of top-end talent. Worth the price of admission all bythemselves.

Still, If I were an NHL GM shelling out 8-million or whatever for an unrestricted free agent, I’ll take a guy who knows where the defensive zone is and how to get there, and leave the offense-only players in the Southeast.

St. Louis beat Minnesota in Minnesota the other day. Doesn’t mean that Minnesota isn’t the better team, and by a fair bit too.

They actually skate end to end, the way entertaining hockey should be played.

I’ll take boring hockey over a 6-3 loss just about every time.

23. namflashback says:

hunter said: Of course Oilers would never want such a player. He doesn’t play defence.

Actually, the Oilers did want such (the better) a player who used to play for Atlanta. Marian Hossa.

So created the chain of events that led to Glencross not being the priority.

Your comments round these ‘sphere seem to imply that you think many of the writers and readers around here are Lowe apologists. Totally incorrect — I think this crew are some of the most concretely critical of Kevin Lowe.

Get off your horse — make an argument for Kovalchuk that is less about how you “saw him good” and more about how he helps his team win and you will advance the conversation.

24. Black Dog says:

dg – what happened with Blake?

25. hunter1909 says:

Re: swooning over two teams with worse records than Edmonton…

Checking todays ESPN standings, Oilers have 20 points, to the Leafs 19, and the Thrashers 18.

All three teams look well out of the playoffs as of today(Oilers are 11th).

Just for you fanatics who can’t bear to look at the top of the respective standings, in the East the Bruins lead it with 32 points, and in the West its the Sharks with 35 points.

And I’m supposed to be the delusional one here.

LMAO

26. Scott says:

Isn’t hunter about due for a writing gig at ON by now?

Of course we would take Kovalchuk on this team, he’s a fantastic talent. But there are very serious and pretty legit criticisms of his game. I really don’t think he’s a coaches kind of player, but what can you do when he can will a goal into the net.

And the ‘Leafs beat Edmonton last week, they’re better’ comment is about as asinine as it gets. We split the season series with Detroit last year, so let’s share the cup.

27. HBomb says:

Yes I was. Elite LW who I thought could have been had due to his “health concerns” for a depressed price. Now? Forget it. I never took the guy off my Team Canada 2010 list, for good reason…heck, at this rate, that team could be Philly-centric (Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and perhaps even Braydon Coburn are in the mix for the Olympic tea).

quain: I’d have trouble naming 10 wingers better than Kovalchuk. He’s no Selke candidate, but he’s got all world talent that would fit well with Hemsky.

hunter: Get a clue.

28. quain says:

Re: swooning over two teams with worse records than Edmonton…

Cool, you checked the standings too, and saw that the two teams you talked about had worse records… and then brought in a bunch of random teams we weren’t talking about.

AWESOME. GOLD STAR.

And the joke about Kovalchuk and wingers was me having fun with the lingering Horcoff-hate, I’m well aware Kovalchuk is pretty good.

29. HBomb says:

Kind of figured as much (ironic considering Traktor is actually floating around today).

Outside of Alex Ovechkin and his super-mega-all-world package of skills, Kovalchuk is right there in the argument with guys like Heatley, Zetterberg (when he’s not playing center) and Gagne in terms of the other “super-elite” LW’s in the game today.

Not a perfect player by any stretch, but probably exactly the type of “superstar” the Oilers could use. If a team could run out a top six of Kovalchuk-Gagner-Hemsky and Cogliano-Horcoff-Cole, well, that’s a pretty good top six if you ask me.

Start by offering Nilsson, Penner and Grebeshkov, add in Schremp and/or Chorney as required.