Kissing Cousins

The NHL does dumb stuff. The latest example is the situation in Anaheim where news today has Brian Burke “out” as General Manager and in a new position with the Ducks.

The story is here.

According to the article, Bob Murray is the new GM and Burke has a new role that allows him to consult the owner on hockey issues. Murray apparently has the final call, and Burke gets to freely negotiate with other teams for future employment.

I believe it starts now.

So, if I have my facts straight here Brian Burke is about to consult the ownership on vital information while pursuing his next career stop. Does this seem reasonable? Does this sound like the kind of thing that a 30-ownership club would approve?

How is this not crazy?

32 Responses to "Kissing Cousins"

1. B.C.B. says:

Damn you, you got your Brian Burke artivle up first.

If I was Murray, I’d have Burke scouting eastern teams till he found a new job (plus make him give long written reports, so the Ducks would get something out of it).

2. Coach pb9617 says:

Jersey goaltending falls apart again tonight.

Can we start a pool?

3. Dennis says:

Everyone knows the league is a Mickey Mouse operation and this is just the latest chapter.

Burke has a legit reason for wanting to work in the EST and the league knew this was coming given how they’d closely monitor any moves made between the Ana and TO orgs.

4. Ribs says:

Just get it over with already. Burke new Toronto GM, end. Eerything’s gotta be a soap opera with this guy.

Other news, Goulet and Lerg sent to Stockton.

5. Shawn says:

I just don’t understand your outrage here. It’s up to the Ducks how much information they give Burke. It’s up to the Ducks to cut him off if they really want to.

Shawn: Burke is a completely useless employee who is possibly harmful AND it raises all kinds of possible conflicts. This is a man who still works for an organization who can freely be interviewed by competitors.

It’s farce.

In order for this to be “no big deal” you have to be convinced Brian Burke is beyond reproach.

7. Black Dog says:

shawn – not so much outrage as bemused headshaking, once again

Spano, McNall, Boots, these guys in Tampa who are apparently in trouble financially already apparently, misguided expansion, constant tinkering with the rules, Colin Campbell’s wheel of justice, etc etc etc

in any business there can be no appearance of conflict of interest

so here we have a guy who is going to look for work while acting as an advisor? come on

8. Black Dog says:

Burke is a bully and the NHL won’t stand up to him

leave of absence, give him a package, send him home, whatever

what the hell is he going to advise Murray on? trades? drafting? sending guys down? waiving guys? contract negotiations?

he is going to be working for the competition within months

only in the NHL

9. Bruce says:

So … does Burkie wind up in T.O.? Hard to imagine the Centre of the Universe 67ers having two All-American A-holes running the show. Fortunately (?) TSN now has a channel for each of them.

Maybe Burke could run both Toronto operations. Jesus Murphy. What a way to run a railroad.

The NHL puts the FU in SNAFU.

11. Black Dog says:

Wilson and Burke have a connection too, don’t they?

TSN is saying its not necessarily a guarantee – the Rangers and Ottawa also beckon – but it has to be the Leafs – frigging Burke’s ego is gigantic – he wants the challenge.

12. Vic Ferrari says:

Pat

Burke and Wilson were roommates when they played collegiate hockey for Providence. Lou Lamouriello was their coach.

13. Black Dog says:

vic – thanks, thought it was something like that

three arseholes

pretty smart guys though, each and every one

Wilson has done a terrific job with the Leafs. Night and day this team from any team since Pat Burns was the coach.

Blake hates his guts.

14. Black Dog says:

Anyone watching the Canucks’ game?

This is ridiculous. Deflections, three guys whacking at the puck in the crease, fourteen shots ten minutes in.

I believe Luongo is in what they call ‘the zone’.

15. Alice says:

bd: Let us know when the BB parade organizers have the route all figgered out. I expect to see Simmons full report in the Free Press tomorrow morning :-)

16. Alice says:

Right about Wilson too, he’s got buy-in, and that’s a sea-change in TO.

17. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Did it occur to anyone that Burke’s role with the Ducks was merely a PR face-saving device for both sides?

He’s done.

18. Fake Craig McTavish says:

black dog said…

“Anyone watching the Canucks’ game?

I believe Luongo is in what they call ‘the zone’.”

If you watched the Canucks previous 3 games you would see that Luongo is not in the zone. He IS the zone.

19. Earl Sleek says:

Yeah, I don’t know if it’s going to be that bad, LT. The Ducks are so cap-strung that there’s not really any moves to be made.

Probably it’s just Burke showing Murray around and introducing him to the staff and the restrooms or something.

It’s only supposed to last a week, and then he’s allowed to look for a new job, so I don’t really get what’s outrageous. What is the big Anaheim secret that Burke isn’t allowed to know during the next week? I really can’t think of anything that sensitive.

20. Black Dog says:

alice – I had big doubts about Fletcher and I still don’t like that he has traded so many picks in the last year but he got rid of McCabe, Raycroft and Tucker who were all problems apparently in some way or another

Hagman is a terrific player.

Grabovski was a guy who did not have a spot on the Habs and this kid can flat out put points on the board

Throw in guys like Dominic Moore (just a terrific player imo), Antropov, Ponikorovski (sic), kids like Kulemin and ex scrubs like Mitchell and you have a lot of motivated guys. Plus in Kubina and Kaberle you have a couple of solid Dmen.

But the big thing that Wilson has done is bust Blake, who has been terrible and he has benched or cut back icetime for a lot of younger players who got comfortable really quickly here.

This city worships these guys – look at a guy like Domi – brutal – so guys like Steen, Stajan and Ian White got all of this adulation when they have never really doen anything. White is another piece of shit, btw, I’d be surprised if he has a career left in a year or so.

These guys got tons of ice the last couple of years but have never done a thing. Rude awakening this year.

Coliacavo is another although I actually like him a lot. You’d think he was Lidstrom for all the hype he’s gotten. He’s a local kid and he’s tough (tough luck too). Anyhow he’s been in the PB nearly all year and I’m sure Wilson is sending a message.

Don’t believe the hype.

21. MJT says:

I agree that Burke’s new title is in name only. No question the ownership in Anaheim knew by now that if something hasn’t been signed with Burke then it’s because he doesn’t want to come back. In knowing that the team would be silly to take his advice on any player moves when he would be better off keeping that information to himself for any future employment he may receive in this wonderful league of ours. This is actually a fairly astute move by Anaheim ownership if you ask me. If they know a conflict of interest could arise with Burke then they would be silly to have him in a capacity where he has the final say on any moves with the team. Giving him any sort of title with no power saves face though and sounds better than firing him.

We should probably ask ourselves this: With someone who has an ego like Brian Burke, why would they ever accept a demotion unless something was already in the cards? He would quit outright if this wasn’t just about saving face.

22. Black Dog says:

fake mact – yeah I haven’t seen any of those games

1-0 Avs now

man, Gillis better work hard to make this team a winner because if this guy leaves they’re fucked

it goes without saying of course

23. Fake Craig McTavish says:

black dog said…
    “fake mact – yeah I haven’t seen any of those games

1-0 Avs now

it goes without saying of course”

I wish I knew what the hell Gillis is up to but my best guess is he’s trying to ride Luongo and his defense until close to the deadline when he can pick up almost anyone he wants for a run at the Cup.

That $9M in cap space he started the season with must now pro-rate to about $12-13M and will be a lot more by the deadline. So far so good but next season will be a different kettle.

I think the sisters may be headed out of town and he’ll get a whack for them.

24. Jonathan says:

When the job goes wrong, you go back to the beginning. This is where we got the job; is the beginning. I am waiting for Vicini.. Sundin.

I’m torn on Gillis. He hires a bunch of guys with shaky qualifications for key positions, but he has largely acquired players that I thought were worthwhile. Wellwood was a good bet in terms of risk/reward, and I said so at the time too. Ditto Ouellet. Demitra I wasn’t sold on, Bernier seemed useful and cheap (well, until RFA sheets started getting tossed around).

If Sundin signs in the next little while, the ‘Nucks will be running something like:

Raymond – Sundin – Demitra
    Sedin – Sedin – Bernier
    Burrows – Kesler – Hansen

as their top-nine, although I suppose Raymond/Hansen could get swapped for any of Wellwood/Ouellet/Pyatt. Point is, that’s three lines with decent odds at outscoring the toughs, and this team already has average+ defense and Luongo in net.

It isn’t a risk I’d be comfortable taking, but come March, Gillis has as good a chance of looking like a genius as most NHL GM’s do.

25. PDO says:

Fake Craig… it prorates to about $27,000,000 if I’m doing this right in my head.

No reason to wait.. but man that team needs two real forwards in a hurry.

26. Bruce says:

BDHS: Yeah, there was a little section in Future Greats and Heartbreaks that was pretty unflattering about this guy. Sounds like a real douchebag. As a player he's got an excellent shot but at casual inspection — I picked him in my pool last year (before I read FG&HB) — he appears to be a one-trick pony.

27. raventalon40 says:

Mike Gillis has done what Burke could not do and in less than a season: build a competitive team with a low payroll and with the option of adding a player w/ scoring prowess, such as the deal tendered Mats Sundin.

Only time will tell whether Gillis can keep this team together though, so we’ll have to wait and see.

28. Doogie2K says:

I’m with Fake MacT: I think the title here is a formality, so he can continue to collect a cheque and keep up appearances locally until he can find a job “closer to” Toronto.

29. Black Dog says:

bruce – he got pulled over last season (or the one prior – my memory is shot)for driving without a license, a license which he lost for DUI

his attitude regarding that situation – well, lets just say he’s a punk – not even a hint of remorse

Wilson has barely used him and then just up front – he’s barely hanging on

30. kanadienkyle says:

“The NHL puts the FU in SNAFU”

Have truer words ever been spoken?

31. MattM says:

I’ve got a buddy who went to high school with Ian White. Douche bag then, and gauging by his lockout comments and DUI, a douche bag now. Nice slap shot, but that’s about it.

32. Shawn says:

LT what I was trying to say is that any information Burke does or doesn’t have is in the hands of the Ducks themselves. If they want him to have nothing to do with the team so he doesn’t have any information to take with him, they are absolutely within their rights to lock him out. If they don’t anything that happens is their own problem and their own fault. It’s not underhanded or sneaky. It’s up to them entirely.