Leafs at Oilers, G16/08-09

This is Frank Mahovlich. He played in an era when giants roamed Left Wing in the NHL. In the early 1970s the position boasted all kinds of depth, from the superstars (Bobby Hull, Frank Mahovlich, Johnny Bucyk, Rick Martin, Bill Barber), the cornerman to the stars (Wayne Cashman), the skilled checkers (Craig Ramsay, Don Marcotte, Bob Gainey, Ross Lonsberry) and the good scorers (Paul Henderson, Lowell MacDonald, others).

There was a long period after that where the NHL didn’t seem to produce many good LW’s, or at least not as many per capita. However, the NHL currently has some real gems (led by Ovechkin, Parise, Zetterberg, Kovalchuk, Vanek, Heatley, others) and this season there are some new men laying claim to the position.

The two teams we are seeing tonight are not flush in left wingers. The Oilers have guys like Dustin Penner, Ethan Moreau and Fernando Pisani (moving over from center) all of whom are useful NHL players.

The Leafs have names like Jason Blake, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Nikolai Kuleman and Ryan Hollweg.

According to nhl.com, here are the top 20 point getters among LW’s this season:

16. Ovechkin (WSH) 13
  17. Nash (CBS) 12
  18. Ponikarovsky (TOR) 12
  19. Chimera (CBS) 12
  20. D Sedin (VAN) 12
  21. Hudler (DET) 12

Ethan Moreau is the top scoring LW on the Oilers currently, with 9 points.

As for the game there are several things going against the Oilers tonight. First game back after a road trip is a tough game, the Leafs are way better than expected and the kid in net (if he plays) cannot sustain the Bernie Parent calibre goaltending.

Still, this is a pretty good hockey club despite the flaws. Should be a good game tonight, with the only real negative being the number of Leafs fans in the house.

221 Responses to "Leafs at Oilers, G16/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Black Dog says:

The Leafs are a much different team then in years past. Less pure talent (although this Grabovski kid is something) but they are the fastest Leafs team that I remember and Wilson has put the fear of God into them.

Anybody can be benched; probably at least half the team has spent time in the PB.

So they play with a lot more urgency then a lot of teams.

Coming back from a long and successful roadtrip – this is, what do they call it, a trap game for sure.

Take the Leafs lightly and it will be a loss.

Come to play and they should win.

One last thing – whoever is in net had better be on their game – Leafs throw a lot of pucks at the net and they go to the net hard. If they don’t do the latter then they sit.

2. rananda says:

grabovski can be very fun to watch. wonder how he slept last night with the specter of brian burke looming.

3. Ribs says:

I’m getting interested in this Nikolai Kulemin character. I’ve seen some impressive spurts from him that make me want to watch him more closely. The boy can sure skate. I seem to remember him impressing in the WJC but it’s foggy right now.

4. Kish says:

If I could take one person from the Leafs to add to the Oil: Ron Wilson.
    I like MacT, but Wilson is exactly what the Oil need to make the next step (playoff contender to cup threat).

5. mc79hockey says:

Am I crazy? The Leafs are on pace to be about -40 or so for the season. Their results look better than their record on a quick glance. I haven’t seen them play much this year, although I went to a Leafs-Bolts game earlier this year and wasn’t particularly impressed. I know that Ron Wilson invented hockey and everything but are we maybe crowning him a little too early?

6. Coach pb9617 says:

Sounds like JDD should be in net based on the expectation of a large number of shots!

7. mc79hockey says:

Anyone else been to OilersNation today? I had a mild seizure at the rotating advertising and such. Holy hell!

8. Coach pb9617 says:

I had a mild seizure at the rotating advertising and such.

Wait, wait, wait. You mean you go somewhere else besides edmontonoilers.com for your Edmonton Oilers needs? You deserve a mild seizure then.

9. Kris says:

I checked out ON too; their website is now fanicer than every other Oilers site but still -and this must’ve been difficult to do- uglier. (I’m just glad I don’t have to go there to read or comment on LT’s stuff.)

I haven’t watched Mayars play in a long time and can’t remember how tough/dirty he is. Is dressing Jesse “Stick to the Face” Boulerice going to happen tonight?

10. mc79hockey says:

Having been the proprietor of a pretty ugly website, I feel qualified to comment on this – I’m pretty sure that this is worse.

11. rananda says:

I’m getting interested in this Nikolai Kulemin character.

once kulemin figures out where to go on the small ice, he’ll be very good. (of course burke will trade him for matt cooke before that happens). it will take some time, though. he has some nice skills though. grabovski just pulls you out of your seat when he’s skating with the puck though. something about the oversized jersey tucked into too big pants as he motors with it.

12. fireside says:

Hello Mr. Lowetide,

First time Caller, Long time listener….

I was wondering if you could share your thoughts on the bruke situation re: the Leafs…

I would apericate it if it was in the form of an “Old Man Rant”….

- My Grand Father is rolling in his grave.

Love the Show,
    - Mike

13. Bruce says:

LT: Great picture of the Big M, hero of my youth. The straight sticks and the boards that were actually made of boards hearken back to a simpler time.

I assume this shot is from the famous Turofsky collection; many of their photos were taken from that identical angle, through a little camera porthole down near the goal line capturing the action around the net and the end boards. A selection of this HHoF collection was published in Andrew Podnieks’ “Portraits of the Game” a few years ago, well worth picking up if you see it in a remainder bin somewhere.

14. Scott says:

My favourite part about the new Oilers Nation site is they’ve finally put up the long promised blogroll… oh wait… um… it’ll be up in the third edition!

15. spOILer says:

Re: Oilers Nation

When are sites going to learn that it is GD hard to read with constant animation pulling at the eyes?

Oh, and nice blogroll.

Are they done with Hudson’s? Cause if there’s one thing uglier than that website, it’s a night at one of those gawdawful places.

16. spOILer says:

Damn, Scott beat me to it. Knew I shouldn’t have turned those sausages first.

17. Lord Bob says:

This is why I miss working on my blog. Say what you want about the content, at least the South Smythian Rolo-Gator had some style!

18. eidy says:

it will good to see how the team responds to home cooking. a long time since they have been in the friendly confines. looking at the schedule, this is a key time as we won’t be playing world beaters and there are points to be had. i don’t prognosticate much on lines, but if it were me, i’d like to see them role 4 lines that looked like this:
    10-34-26 (toughs)
    89-83-12 (soft minutes, and no muscle, but det does it all the time)
    13-27-78
    51-18-storts
    i could flip penner and nillson without problem, but don’t think cap’n can bring enough skill to line 1. good banger and that would give us 4 pretty good lines. not sure 12 should be in the doghouse like he is, i haven’t noticed him lollygagging or anything, hopefully it won’t be for long.

19. Vic Ferrari says:

I remember thinking before the last home game that they should be expected to outchance Boston by a mile. Maybe not 2 to 1, but close to it. With benefit of hindsight, the Bruins are a better team than I’d thought.

The Leafs aren’t that good though, we have to expect the Oilers to be the better team tonight. Outchance them 3 to 2 at evens and hope that the PP can find it’s range and that the PK smartens up as well.

If the Oilers in general, and the kids in particular, get outworked tonight, we’ve got reason to be pissed I think. But I’ve got a feeling that the Oil are going to come out flying.

20. Bruce says:

I would apericate it if it was in the form of an “Old Man Rant”….

Fireside Mike: Welcome! I’m not Lowetide, but I’m even older. “Old Man Rants” are pretty much all I got left.

With Burke being fired :D :D :D :D :D just as the Leafs roll into Edmonton for the first time in quite a long while, a timely question.

Things have actually been looking up in Leafland since the last housecleaning of GM and, later, coach. LT ran a thread in January when the noose was tightening on JFJ, in which I wrote the following:

“Fletcher would be a good interim choice IF the plan is to first tear down, then rebuild. He did a pretty good job of just that in an interim role in Phoenix, where he replaced Bobby Smith, oversaw the divestiture of the Tkachuk and Roenick contracts and the Khabibulin mess, and essentially cleared the deck for Mike Barnett who took the helm about six months later. Fletcher basically was a hatchet man in that situation, but to me he did a good enough job that maybe they shoulda stuck with him.
    “The heavens know that Toronto needs to add by subtraction first, JFJ has them committed to something close to $40 MM next year, so watch for a fire sale of assets (a.k.a. “liabilities”) if somebody like Fletcher moves in.”
    ***

And so history has repeated. Fletcher did an excellent job of cleansing the collective palate of Leaf fans, overseeing the departures of such iconic figures as Bryan McCabe, Darcy Tucker, Andrew Raycroft (don’t laugh, it needed to be done), and even Mats Sundin. He got less than he might in return due to unfavourable clauses in their contracts, but at the end of the day those guys are gone; the likes of Grabovski, Kulemin, Hagman, van Ryn and Schenn have moved into the roster; Ron Wilson is taking the Leafs in a new direction while lowering short-term expectations; and the Leafs have more cap room than 24 NHL clubs.

Cliff Fletcher has done the job, whoever ultimately moves in. It’s an ideal situation for Brian Burke to come in and look good, but as with the Coyotes again I say maybe they should stick with Fletcher.

21. eidy says:

of course i mean other than detroit, but 7-3 over the next ten is reasonable

22. Ribs says:

Vic – Leafs are 3rd in the league in shots per game. Outchancing them may be a tougher task than anticipated.

The defense will need to be awake tonight along with whoever’s in the crease. Keep them to the outside and all should end well.

23. namflashback says:

Vic,

Was it Jonathan that was running all the line matchup notes on the games? I don’t think he has done it lately, but it truly showed that MacT wasn’t bothering to find the kids some shelter, even when he had perfect situations to do so.

They got ambushed frequently by Therrien and the Pens. Not hard to have done to them, but the new lines came out afterwards. A little more protection for each of the kids. I’d think that with these lines and a coach who may start choosing to do what we know he knows how to do (match the opposition) — we could see them go on a nice tear.

As you’ve shown on your site, the underlying numbers would seem to suggest we’re about to see results above the waterline.

24. B.C.B. says:

eidy:

we are winning detroit. Me and my friends are making the trip and we will WILL and SCREAM them to victory. Oilers win in regulation tonight, in a shoot out vs Sakic and company, and be pure luck and accident in the grave of GM.

25. Black Dog says:

Yeah I noticed the blogroll at ON too.

What a bunch of tools. I don’t link to them anymore.

The Leafs throw a ton of shots at the net and follow them in.

But if the Oilers come to play they should be in business.

26. Dennis says:

Instead of just looking at tonight I’ll take a look at the big picture.

After the Oilers play in SJ on Dec 6th they’ll have played 26 games with a normally-daunting 18 of them having been road contests. I’m not sure what their record will be at that time but they’ll then play 12 of their next 15 at home and things should be looking up for us after G 41.

The thing is, however, the Oilers will only go so far as 89 will taken them if they are indeed comitted to him playing on one of their top two tough min lines and that seems to be where we’re headed.

The new 83 line got owned at MSG and I think that will continue to the case on the road when we play teams that have two lines that can really play.

Things will be easier at home because we can split that time between the new 83 line and the newly formed 27-13-78 line but I don’t think the latter can hang with the toughs either.

Roll it anyway you want but this team is still better off with 10-83 playing in tandem on one tough min line and then another one being based around 18-34. My vote is you put 78 between 18-34 because him and Pisani have showed some chem AND you put 26-10-83 back together because even though they didn’t score they still had some chances. That would leave the three kids plus 27 to construct the soft min line and receive the shelter.

That is the most sensible plan but right now this season seems all about putting Ganger on the accelerated track and letting the consequences be damned.

Now the only question is how fast he’ll learn – or if it’s the same thing that happened with the 18-34-26 line, how many games he’ll let them get owned before he devises a new plan of attack.

The 34 line last five games so let’s see how long the new 83 line lasts.

27. Bruce says:

It’s hard to fucking believe that the majority of our NEXT 11 games are on the road. A team ten (10) games in arrears home to road is usually only reserved for within-season new arenas. Does somebody know something I don’t? :D

28. Shawn says:

MC – if you want to crown them, well crown their asses! The Leafs are who we thought they were!

29. Chris! says:

“Yeah I noticed the blogroll at ON too.

What a bunch of tools. I don’t link to them anymore.”

I’m so pleased to see I’m not the only one who sniffs my nose at ON. I mean, they came late to the party, saw a marketing opportunity and capitalized on it, which is smart. But where’s the LOVE?

30. Chris! says:

And forgive me for being a thread whore, but just wanted to let folks know that reports of CinO’s death have been somewhat exaggerated:

31. Lord Bob says:

I always said Chris! was the best part of CinO. Just never on the record.

32. spOILer says:

Dennis,

Would you want to enter the post-season or next year with a hobbit who can handle the ogres, or one who can’t?

I know it’s making the playoffs far more tenuous than they have to be, but it’s not without logic either. Still early days, and we’re still in the hunt.

33. Dennis says:

Spoiler: We’ve been in the playoffs once in the last four seasons so I’d kinda like to enjoy that again before the cap drops and/or Cogs and Gagner get their raises:)

34. spOILer says:

Dennis:

Agreed, I wouldn’t want to see this messing around if we weren’t in the picture. Getting these kids at least a round of experience has to be foremost, not to mention a salve to my poor heart.

35. Dennis says:

Well, I imagine MacT believes more in 34 than he does 89 and he didn’t let the 34 as centre experiment last for too long so I assume he’ll do the same with 89 playing top six tough min.

36. Jonathan says:

Well, evidently I’m the only one, but I like the new OilersNation site design. Of course, I stuck with my old orange design as long as I could, so I may not be the ideal guy to judge. Also, I’ve already sold my soul to the idea of a website with ads, so anything I say is naturally suspect.

Also, I swear, the blogroll is coming. The developers are moving at a glacial pace (they’re only a month and a half behind schedule right now) but they are moving.

Moving on to tonight’s game, Wilson probably doesn’t deserve all of the love he’s getting. He’s not a media-friendly guy like Paul Maurice, so some of the media will turn on him, but others will love his manner and constant contempt. Personally, I think he’s a jerk, but I enjoy his manner with the media (much as I enjoyed Brian Burke’s time in Vancouver) because they deserve it.

Toronto’s not this good, but their goalie isn’t this bad either, so if they don’t do a massive firesale at the deadline they could hang around the playoff picture for a bit.

37. Kris says:

Jonathon: Bull. Why doesn’t ON just periodically post a list of blogs as links. Call the post “Weekly Blog Roll”. Seems pretty easy to do. “Oh we’re still working on it” Sure you are. Sure you are.

Wanye could even put some stupid picture up above the blog roll: maybe a picture of a kitten with the headline “Podody’s Nerfect!”

38. mc79hockey says:

Other than Brownlee and Willis (and Lowetide, to the extent that he posts there), there’s just not much there worth reading. Plus, the whole site feels like it was put together by the same group that put together Poochie the Talking Dog.

“OK – we need some Oilers themed faux outrageousness.”

“How’s the catchphrase department coming? Can’t we do better than calling our readers “lambs”?

“Feuds are BIG with the kids today. Can we start some feuds?”

“Statistics seem to be big with sports fans. Let’s get some!”

“This site needs to be more proactive! We need to change the blogging paragdigm – with Hudson’s ads!”

Or, in three words, “Where’s the love?”

39. Lord Bob says:

In the outtakes for my blog, I call my readers “sheeple”. Even that was an edit from the original line of “scum-sucking parasites devouring the beauty that once rested within the game of hockey”.

40. Jonathan says:

Kris: I’ve got a blog-roll on my site. I also link out with virtually every article I post there, so it isn’t like ON isn’t sending traffic to other peoples sites.

I’ve also linked to other blogs that have minimal blogrolls, or don’t have my site on their blog rolls. IOF, for example, doesn’t link to my site, while BBO’s place links to three sites only (not mine) one of which is the rather pathetic “Great NHL Hunt”. My personal feeling is that if a place is worth linking to, link to it, and if not, don’t, regardless of whether or not they reciprocate.

OilersNation is in the process of putting up a blog roll, but your idea is pretty good – and if you don’t mind, I think I’ll steal it :)

41. doritogrande says:

Not sure if anyone caught it , but Eberle’s Pats and Plante’s Hitmen duked it out last night. Add an assist to Eberle’s totals (-3), and a goal and assist to Plante’s (+2) in a Calgary 6-2 win.

Not too shabby for our last two first rounders.

42. Jonathan says:

Incidentally, what’s the difference between ON and something like Pensblog?

Both have adds and much of Wanye’s content is similar in nature (if a touch milder). I think it has a place, but if you want a serious discussion, Wanye’s posts generally don’t start it. But then, they aren’t supposed to, either.

I hate to seem pushy here, and I get that for a lot of people it just isn’t their thing, but I personally think it has a place.

43. Jonathan says:

That should read ads, above.

44. mc79hockey says:

I’m just speaking for myself here but I don’t think that either site is particularly funny. They’re obviously trying very, very hard, I just don’t think that they’re funny. I don’t have a problem with people taking the piss out of hockey situations – CiO was (is?) fucking hilarious. OilersNation feels to me like they’re ripping off their schtick, only they can’t really pull it off, so it’s louder, dumber and has more advertising. I don’t really care about the ads – if LT wanted to slap ads on this site, he wouldn’t hear me complain – but I kind of get the feeling when I read that site that the only reason that the content is there is so that there’s something to separate the flashing ads.

It’s kind of like the Edmonton Sun of the Oilogosphere.

45. Jonathan says:

I agree, and I disagree, Tyler.

Obviously the site is a commercial enterprise, so the ads are a big driving factor. That said, the guys who run it are passionate about hockey and about the Oilers.

People do respond to Wanye; I’ve seen the analytics data for OilersNation and there are a ton of people who read his schtick. It’s supposed to offer something for everybody – Wanye’s stuff isn’t always for me, and I see the game in a different light than either Gregor or Brownlee. Brownlee in particular writes some very good stuff though, and I think the ‘sphere is richer from having a chance to interact with him.

As for my own writing, I really want a broader audience – the wider the Oilogosphere’s view of the game gets spread, the better. I’m not in the same league as guys like you and Vic and RiversQ and Matt Fenwick, but I love the school of thought and it seems like the most valid way to view the game. It’s something the world in general should be exposed to.

The other thing is the possibility of pay – my wife will be a lot more understanding of my hobby if it’s generating a little revenue.

46. mc79hockey says:

Sure, and a ton of people like the Edmonton Sun. That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t suck.

I’m all for Brownlee having an outlet though, so I suppose on balance, it’s a good thing.

Meh, it just seems to me like they took something that other people were doing better, do it worse, aim it at a certain demographic and then slap ads on the whole thing. Wanye really does remind me of Poochie.

Odd thing – one of those guys is good friends of a friend of mine. I’m sure that they’re good guys, the content just doesn’t do anything for me.

47. Bruce says:

Thursday night, so off to class I go. The Oilers play five Thursdays in a row, it’s like the Schedule From Hell has become personal.

Sigh.

Enjoy the game, people. I’ll look forward to reading the game day thread after the fact. Again.

48. Lord Bob says:

It’s kind of like the Edmonton Sun of the Oilogosphere.

Except there’s no OilersNation Girl every day at the back of the sports section.

49. Jonathan says:

Now that’s just mean.

It is. Thing is, I’m looking at the change in my own thinking since I started reading the ‘sphere, and it’s been incredible. Even in the time since I started my blog, I’ve changed a lot of my outlook on the game.

The more interaction between blogs and the MSM, the smarter both become.

50. Vic Ferrari says:

Yeah, what mc79 said.

And I didn’t realize that you weren’t on the IOF blog roll, jonathon. Though it’s hard to imagine that anyone reading IOF is unaware that you’re out there. I only make the effort to add a link to the blog roll if I’ve found something that I think others may not know about.

I couldn’t give two craps about OilersNation, personally. I read your posts, and Brownlee’s usually, and occasionally the comments to said articles. But it just strikes me as a pathetisad imitation of CinO, though they sure are trying like hell.

I’m sure that it’s popular, but it’s not my cup of coffee, not at all.

As far as advertising goes, I wouldn’t give a toss if LT, BofA, BDHS, CinO, MC79, etc. added advertising. In fact I’d rather that they did, that way they might feel guilty if they don’t post enough, so it might keep them infotaining us more than normal.

And why on Earth would anyone even want OilersNation to have a blog roll? Them with theirs, people. :)

51. Ribs says:

Now there’s an idea! Funny that ON would seem like the most logical place for something like that.

52. Vic Ferrari says:

On the who new media topic:

It would be cool if one or more of you guys started up an Oilogosphere blog radio call-in postgame show. Not with a view of competing with AM radio, not at all, just a place for the folks in this part of the web to talk at each for a bit after the games.

53. Vic Ferrari says:

Dennis:

Yeah, I agree, I’d rather they put development on the back burner until they’re damn sure that they have the horses to make the playoffs.

They’ve picked the right kid to bet on though, and I don’t know TOR well enough to know what they’re second line is, but surely Horcoff’s line will be going out against the two big Russians and Stajan (I assume that’s line 1 for them?) or similar.

And Wilson is going to send his next best players out against Hemsky’s line, so it should sort itself out.

I’ll just be happy if MacTavish keeps Cogliano’s line away from defensive zone draws.

54. Black Dog says:

I like Brownlee’s work and yours is terrific Jonathan, of course.

And I don’t really care about the ads or the rest of the site either way. I’m sure people don’t care much for mine and that’s fine.

It does stick in my craw though that these guys have been saying forever that they are going to put up a blogroll but cannot figure it out? Come on.

I don’t expect them to link to everyone out there, hell I am sure plenty of people link to me that I am not aware of and I link to Mirtle, for example, and he does not link to me.

But to not put anything up at all? When others are directing people to their site.

Not cool. Whatever the content.

55. Black Dog says:

Vic – I’ve watched some Leafs, not enough to know how they run their lines but the Russians plus one and Grabovski/Hagman plus one are 1A and 1B. Probably the latter are 1A right now.

Lineup is pretty fluid. Stajan has been benched a couple of times but I think he may be with Antropov/Ponikorovsky now.

Hagman is terrific.

56. B.C.B. says:

personally I wouldn’t want ON to link to my blog. I am sure I would just get terrible comments: which maybe worse then no comments. The only thing I think ON is good for is getting the starting line up on game day: the sad part is that I compulsively read and respond (I can’t afford therapy). As vic said (I think) they can keep their people; I would add lets build a fence around them.

57. Jonathan says:

Maybe it’s just me; the more people who read my writing the better.

Of course, I’m awfully vain, so I probably am the only one.

58. doritogrande says:

Necessary homework for the night: Done.

Homework for Monday: will wait another night.

Goilers!

59. Jonathan says:

By the way, I fully expect that Ales Hemsky’s tombstone will contain the line:

Should have shot more.

I wish commentators would stop talking about it.

60. Jonathan says:

And a stream, for anyone who needs it:

61. doritogrande says:

Fuck you Leaves fans!

Fuck you Leaves fans!

Gotta drown out the idiot Leaves fans somehow. Thanks Zach.

62. Jonathan says:

Stortini wants to stay in the lineup.

When the other option is Boulerice, I do too.

63. Jonathan says:

Way to go Hemmer!

64. doritogrande says:

Okay, where’s this Boulerice fellow.

This fucker won a Masterson trophy? FOR SHAME!

65. Jonathan says:

What did MacTavish tell the team? Hits all over.

66. Scott says:

I’m with Black Dog as far as the ON blogroll. I could care less if they link to anyone at all, but they’ve been saying that they’re going to come up with one for months. It isn’t a tough thing to do and everybody knows that. The excuse has been that they’re waiting for the redesign, and now that’s come and gone. Issue of honesty more than anything else for me.

Also, Stortini with a nice hit and I’m sure glad that Blake won that sponsorship award. He’s really showing it off so far tonight.

67. doritogrande says:

Stortini making an early case for player of the game. Massive shot on Moore, and now draws a penalty.

Way to go Sasquatch!

68. Jonathan says:

Stortini looks like a wrecking ball tonight. Charging the net hard, hits all over, and just drew a penalty.

It’s good to see.

69. doritogrande says:

Visnovsky and Souray have been split up.

I smell PP goal. And Hemsky almost comes up with it.

70. Jonathan says:

Visnovsky and Grebeshkov as the powerplay pairing.

Let’s hope that sticks.

71. doritogrande says:

Jonathan: Apparently red bull gives me more than just wings :)

72. doritogrande says:

Who is 83 and what the hell did he do with Ales Hemsky?

Must’ve been the Atlantic seaboard air.

73. Jonathan says:

Hemsky’s just flying out there. It’s beautiful to see.

74. Jonathan says:

Good grief.

75. doritogrande says:

Leaves can’t stay out of the box. Another Oilers PP coming up.

Kinda disappointed to not see Smid in the lineup tonight.

76. doritogrande says:

Uhm, isn’t that a penalty for Visnovsky also for playing with a broken stick?

77. doritogrande says:

Move your asses on the powerplay guys. I saw 4 guys standing still and Gilbert sneaking down. Surprise surprise.

78. Scott says:

Smid’s been out with a ‘mild’ concussion for long enough that it may be worrying. Is he practicing regularly with the team?

79. doritogrande says:

SAM GAGNER!!!

80. Jonathan says:

I like this whole “collapsing on net” idea. I’ve seen other teams do it, but I didn’t know the Oilers could do anything other than passing around the periphery.

81. Scott says:

Sam Winning!

82. PDO says:

Hey, someone reminded the Oilers the game starts in the first period.

Nice.

83. doritogrande says:

This game is 3-0 without Toskala in net.

84. Jonathan says:

It’s been a dominant performance so far tonight. The Leafs aren’t even in the same class as the Oilers yet, so now I’m worried JDD is going to get really shaky.

85. doritogrande says:

Jonathan:

RE: Grabovski. You’re 100% right. Too bad he flops around like a drunk russian sturgeon for a living. He’d be a real nice player if he could tone down the soccer player attitude.

86. Jonathan says:

Blake’s starting to bug me. I think Stortini/Moreau needs to flatten him.

87. Scott says:

Jason Masterton strikes again!

88. Jonathan says:

Souray is snarly. I like watching him abuse opposing forwards in front of the net without fear of retribution.

The grumpier he gets, the better I like him.

89. doritogrande says:

Real good first frame for the Oilers tonight, and that’s not something we can usually say. I attribute most of it to Stortini’s play in the first 5 minutes to set the tone.

44-71 split up on the powerplay and Gagner gets his first. Love it.

Ales Hemsky is establishing himself as one of the premier forwards in the Western Conference. He’s flying tonight and has his vision back. Great feed to Grebeshkov on Gagner’s PP goal.

Deslauriers is getting the job done. Not much else to say on the topic but I like it when our goaltending is playing at this level.

We’re going to have to worry about that Grabovski-Kulemin-Hagman all night though. They’re a good offense-first trio that actually know their way around the defensive zone to boot. I guess that’s been the mark of a Wilson coached team for a bit though.

90. Jonathan says:

Nick Kypreos is an idiot.

And Jesse Boulerice doesn’t matter, no matter how many times these guys say that he “energizes” the Oilers.

91. Ender says:

@Jonathan:

There’s nothing wrong with ads. We have ads on our site. I mentioned my issues with the ON layout on the thread over there. To be honest, 2 things could really help them out – make the ads match the site (or vice-versa), and don’t promise simple things if you’re not going to follow through on it. Stillnoname didn’t have a blogroll for the longest time, but we didn’t promise we’d have one because it’s all of 10 minutes of work to make. Either you have one or you don’t.

The new layout has promise, but it’s being destroyed by the details.

92. doritogrande says:

I’d disagree Jonathan. If nothing else, Boulerice has put the pressure on Stortini to get it together. The big guy was in danger of losing his roster spot to MacIntyre, and now has to outperform an actual body of the same playing type than being compared to the IR. Boulerice on this roster to me guarantees that Stortini can’t get complacent even with Smac out for some time.

On Kypreos however, you’re spot on.

93. Ribs says:

It;s not often that the Oilers get to play a team that they are all-around tougher than.

Poo gets one tonight.

94. doritogrande says:

Out of town highlights:

Lucic is one angry sonofabitch. Killed Komisarek with the right hand. Real throwback to the days of the big bad bruins. Thank god he’s in the East.

95. Lord Bob says:

Our goons are like Mudcrutch’s old The Score blog? Stortini sucks, Boulerice doesn’t matter?

I like to be a little more optimistic than that.

96. Dennis says:

That was pretty close to a perfect period; I had the Oilers winning the chances battle at 8-2, three for 83 alone, and outside of 71 getting his pocket picked and the same for 10 at the end of the period that lead to 71 taking a penalty, that was as good as it gets.

BTW, did anyone noticed that when 26 got shook up and 78 got the chance to play with 10-34 he had TWO scoring chances? I guess MacT’s the only that doesn’t know this by now.

On ON: I’m pretty sure that years ago when I tried to write humourous, I did it better than that Wayne guy and I”m pretty sure I could do it again. And i know that the CINO boys do it better. I like that access reporting that Brownlee does and I love JW’s stuff but the rest is close to drek.

As for the postgame show for the hardcores, I’ve been after Cam and Ty to do that for awhile now; sort of a podcast deal.

Also interesting that the other day I read people saying you don’t need quotes to write postgames and that sometimes it’s better just to write it without them and I did that for years over at Oilfans. It seems like me and a few others were way ahead of the curve.

BTW, I don’t have any problem with the boys trying to draw a few dollars with the ads and I don’t know why anyone should have a problem with it. For me it’s just the fact that the content lacks. Every day I’m checking out TSN, ESPN, Globe and Mail, Deadspin and Pro Sports Daily and ON is just an occasional haunt.

97. mc79hockey says:

Question for the Torontonians – is this game on LeafsTV only? I’ve been working like a dog of late, came home to watch the last two periods – am I really getting shafted on this?

98. Jonathan says:

Ender:

And the new ON site is down again. I don’t know what the exact problems are behind the scenes (I have some idea but not specifics), but it’s been a major pain trying to relaunch the site.

I’m confident things will get fixed, because I’m confident in the guys running the site. I understand if others don’t share my confidence, but I think it’s going to come around.

99. doritogrande says:

So, are all these empty seats from dumb Tarana fans networking in the concourse?

100. Jonathan says:

Nah, Stortini doesn’t suck :)

And it’s possible I’m letting my distaste for Boulerice cloud my judgement.

101. mc79hockey says:

Are they replacing 3/4 of the writers? Because fundamentally, while a shiny site is nice, content drives the bus.

102. doritogrande says:

Bernie Parent’s wearing Oiler orange and gold.

103. doritogrande says:

Oop. Spoke too soon.

104. doritogrande says:

The Masterson abomination in the middle of it again.

105. Lord Bob says:

Do the refs tonight owe Cliff Fletcher money or something?

Jesus, these are chintzy calls.

106. mc79hockey says:

Nice butterfly JDD.

107. Jonathan says:

The Oilers penalty killing unit is only killing one thing right now.

And it isn’t penalties.

108. doritogrande says:

“Do the refs tonight owe Cliff Fletcher money or something?”

Nah man, they’re just paying tribute to someone who exemplifies the qualities of perserverence, sportsmanship and dedication to ice hockey. No biggie.

109. Coach pb9617 says:

That was pretty close to a perfect period

Except for the ridiculous own-zone turnover by Horcoff with less than a minute to go which led to three straight power plays.

What is wrong with that team when there is under a minute to go? They play like they all ride the short bus with less than a minute to go in any period.

110. doritogrande says:

Okay, hard to blame Deslauriers on that second goal, now that we see the replay an 8th time. Shot was tipped twice.

111. doritogrande says:

The 4th liner!

112. Jonathan says:

Will Ethan Moreau ever come down to Earth? Probably not as long as he’s playing with Hemsky.

113. Lord Bob says:

It’s only too bad we didn’t ditch Moreau and keep Glencross, eh?

114. Coach pb9617 says:

Dear lord Hemmer is goot

115. Stan the Caddy says:

Question for the Torontonians – is this game on LeafsTV only?

Naturally. Man I forgot how bad Greg Millen is. After three replays he still can’t figure out Hagman’s stick hit himself in the face.

Then Blake skates into 89′s knee. Great.

116. Jonathan says:

Gene: So, Jesse, any idea which opposing player you’re going to hit in the face with your stick?

Boulerice: Nah, Gene, I just like to play the game until I blackout in incomprehensible rage. The stick goes where it will.

117. Coach pb9617 says:

Straight line to the net and whack.

It’s like Doug Shedden getting 30 because of 66.

118. Scott says:

captains need respect
    miss two years, it’s hard to get
    does he have it yet?

119. Jonathan says:

To paraphrase everybody’s favourite ex-GM:

“Hemsky is not Czech for cross-check me in the back of the head.”

120. doritogrande says:

Quinner with a great idea.

And the hockey gods spake, and they did sayeth unto the Nation of Oilerdom. Thou shalt rain down with a chorus of “SIXTY-SEVEN” unto the daemon fans of Leave.

121. Lord Bob says:

Out of town scoreboard: Minnesota 4, Phoenix 0.

So let’s get this one, eh?

122. mc79hockey says:

What in the hell kind of a stat is that? “First time on the first line”?

Are they saying he’s never been on the ice for the start of a game before? That can’t be true.

123. B.C.B. says:

mac79:
    try
    it is on here, with some sound troubles

124. Jonathan says:

I decided to focus on Visnovsky tonight.

He’s brilliant. He makes nearly instantaneous decisions with the puck and gets it moving the right way with no time wasted at all.

He’s not a perfect defender, but he’s certainly the most talented puck-mover of the MacTavish era.

125. Jonathan says:

Mc79: I posted this link above; it’s always excellent quality:

126. Jonathan says:

What hte hell is it with commentators and their fixation on Souray on the powerplay?

“The Leafs have done a great job taking that shot away tonight.”

Every team in the league takes that shot away. Every single team. Nobody lets the Oilers have it, because it’s the only play they use.

Good grief.

127. Coach pb9617 says:

How in the holy hell did that offsides not get a whistle?!

128. Coach pb9617 says:

And why does this team play like total shit in the last minute of every period?

Fun game to watch, Oilers are still young and get running around like chickens with heads cut off from time to time.

As for letting down at the end of a period, I distinctly remember Rod Phillips talking about Slats benching Dave Hunter back in the day because he took penalties in the last couple of minutes of a period.

Youth.

Re: Visnovsky. I mentioned this the other day but I don’t recall an Oilers defenseman getting as many touches in a game.

And I mean EVER.

130. Dennis says:

I think there was a guy here talking about how bad the Oilers PK’s been, right?:)

Seriously, the Oilers PK is going to give up excellent chances every game; it’s like a closer who’s always walking the first two batters. Now it’s just wondering when MacT clues in and starts using different people and employing different tactics. Also, it would help if Souray would actually tie someone up on that second goal.

Finally, 34 made a stupid fucking play on the 3-2 goal. He Cannot put that puck there with that little juice. Maybe it’s just me but I”m starting a lot of stupid plays from him this year. And by a lot I mean compared to beforehand.

131. Ribs says:

I decided to focus on Visnovsky tonight.

I just wish he would learn to hold on to it for a split second longer sometimes.

Damn linesmen. That was a good 3 feet offside and everyone in the rink saw it. Arg.

132. Lord Bob says:

Dennis, you talk about so many things we can’t keep track. :P

Big fat F to Pisani for sure tonight; I don’t know what’s going on with him but I don’t like it. Deslauriers, meanwhile, wasn’t at fault but hasn’t made any improbable saves: I’m happy with him, but not excited.

133. Slipper says:

Ewwww. That last goals was pretty stinky.

What’s happening to Acid Trip?

134. doritogrande says:

Serious question. Did Dustin Penner come out for the second period?

I saw him screening Toskala on the Gagner goal, but he’s been invisible since then.

135. uni says:

MA Bergeron with 3 PPAs tonight, two of them primary. Good to see the little guy still sticking around in the NHL as a useful player =D.

136. Slipper says:

Baseball similies give me stones.

137. Jonathan says:

DG: Thinking the same thing. The exact same thing.

138. Jonathan says:

Tom Gilbert’s back, by the way.

139. Slipper says:

Serious question. Did Dustin Penner come out for the second period?

Didn’t ya hear that RBK has integrated cloaking technology into their new design?

Serious question. Did Dustin Penner come out for the second period?

It’s not advanced enough yet to last for an entire game.

140. doritogrande says:

Fucking brutal.

E83.

141. Jonathan says:

So who starts the next game? I think Garon should, but I’d bet on Roloson.

142. Black Dog says:

Yeah that was a sweet play by Gilbert.

That douchebag White.

143. Jonathan says:

Also, the ‘sphere’s favourite son, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, has been a giveaway machine all night.

144. doritogrande says:

Pat:

Hey man, don’t be hating on a good Steinbach kid.

Please divert all hate towards the bastard child of the Masterson trophy.

145. Jonathan says:

Shots 20-9 in favour of the Leafs since the end of the first.

Oilers should be better next game, but they don’t have the heart to come back in this one imo.

147. Jonathan says:

71 better be okay.

And why someone hasn’t run Blake is beyond me.

148. Jonathan says:

On the replay, Blake knew exactly what he was doing.

He’s irritating.

149. Jonathan says:

And those bloody hands up after.

How this guy won the Masterton is beyond me.

150. mc79hockey says:

If it’s two goals or more with less than five, Stortini needs to jump that fucking guy.

151. doritogrande says:

I repeat:

Shame on you, NHL writers, for awarding THAT the Masterson trophy.

152. Black Dog says:

Blake has always played like that, or did before he got the big money.

Wilson called him out on it today.

153. doritogrande says:

If Jesse Boulerice really wanted to endear himself to his new teammates, he’d hop the boards Hanson-style, stick in hand and run after Blake yelling “I’ve got the foil on ya fucker!”

Lots of jump for the Leafs tonight. I think their fans must be pretty happy with the way they’re playing.

I mean, they’re not going anywhere but there’s a lot of try and they have some nice things.

155. Black Dog says:

Missed the first period but the lads just look to have dead legs tonight.

Methinks they may have been a little satisfied and they took the Leafs a little lightly.

156. mc79hockey says:

Wow. Pretty stupid fucking penalty from Cogliano. He’s got a D there, all he needs to do is step into the guy. Plus, he’s Andrew Cogliano, so it’s not like the guy was going to get away from him. Instead, he slashes the stick out of his hands. Pretty fucking dumb.

157. B.C.B. says:

It should only be a slashing call if the stick breaks, if the player drops his stick it should not be a penalty.

158. Black Dog says:

lt – yeah its weird, a different atmosphere at the ACC too

people know the team isn’t going anywhere but they have a lot of try

after years of guys being pretty entitled it seems to have ended, at least temporarily

159. Jonathan says:

Does Blake play on the powerplay?

Will the PK really be damaged by adding Stortini to it?

160. doritogrande says:

Fuck. There’s Grabovski.

Nothing left to do but put Jason Blake in traction.

161. mc79hockey says:

Blake has always played like that, or did before he got the big money.

Doesn’t mean he shouldn’t get punched in the face. And now that it’s 5-2, that ought to get done before the end of the game.

162. Jonathan says:

It’s over. Now I just want some frustration to be vented.

This was a very winnable game.

Well they have some swagger here too. The Leafs are playing an Oilers team that faces clubs like the Flames a lot of nights so they’re familiar with edgy play.

But this group has some sandpaper, a little skill and a ton of sweat every shift.

I hate the Leafs, but this team is interesting to watch.

164. Black Dog says:

ty – absolutely but just to point out again the whole Masterton thing

sportsmanship, right?

guy is a prick

165. doritogrande says:

Quinner caught Sheldon playing a lil’ Hack-a-shaq there. Thank you Mr. Souray.

166. Jonathan says:

Ponikarovsky’s a much better player than he gets credit for.

When the firesale comes, I wouldn’t be opposed to Tambellini/Lowe looking into acquiring him.

And with both 44 and 46 on against Blake at this stage in the game, how does he not get run?

167. mc79hockey says:

Ah – yeah, that’s always been his reputation. He was a ridiculous Masterton pick but then he was a Leaf with cancer – I don’t even know that they bothered counting the ballots. There’s no reason someone shouldn’t dummy him at this point though.

The really bad news for Oilers fans is that it looks like Kipper is back in the groove.

169. doritogrande says:

“ty – absolutely but just to point out again the whole Masterton thing

sportsmanship, right?

guy is a prick”

Can it really be considered perserverance and dedication to the game if he gets PB’d because he won’t listen to the coaches also?

Oh no, I had a treatable form of cancer and I play for Toronto. Give me a fucking trophy because I missed no games.

170. Black Dog says:

He didn’t have cancer.

He had the clap. A severe case, mind you.

The cancer thing was just a cover story.

171. Stan the Caddy says:

Geez, Fernando is off his game.

172. Jonathan says:

26-46-18-44-43 the rest of the way.

173. CrazyCoach says:

Holy shit, I rushed home for this?

What happened?

Oilers had a real nice first period but got outworked in every facet of the game in the final two periods imo.

Credit to the Leafs, they were most certainly the better club. Gritty, a little filthy and two points richer heading out of town.

175. Jonathan says:

When Stortini’s out there with 15 seconds left and down by three goals, what does he think he’s supposed to do?

Geez, I gotta calm down. Jason Blake makes me think that Jesse Boulerice was a good pickup.

176. mc79hockey says:

Ah LT, you rogue. 4-0 Sharks!

177. RiversQ says:

Ouch. Oilers actually not that bad but Hemsky was the only dangerous Oiler. Incidentally, Penner (or Byfuglien-Lite as I like to call him) has 17 shots on the year. Nice.

178. CrazyCoach says:

What’s that old cliche?

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

179. Lord Bob says:

Jesus, Lowetide, don’t scare me like that!

(McElhaswehaertgertgwtiny currently riding the .000 save percentage, too!)

Some positives from the game:

1. Maybe we can get Garon back in the rotation soon. He last played May 10.

2. Now that Gagner has a goal, can we get back to the Horcoff-Hemsky combo platter?

3. Nilsson looks close to being let out of the shitter.

As for the fake Flames score, I have this theory: when your team loses a game like this, go all in on the maudlin. Drink too much, weap over some lost love, watch It’s a Wonderful Life, let it all out.

Because Sweet Jesus it’s awful to be miserable when you had nothing to do with it and the quicker you get over it the better.

5-0 Sharks in the 2nd. :-)

182. Dennis says:

I had the chances as 14-13 Oilers; 11-8 at EV but 5-3 TO on ST. And of course the chances the Oilers were giving to the TO PP were pretty sweet as well; White and Antripov wound up in high danger slots for their EV goals and the PK is a big pile of shit.

What’s that old MacT line about the definition of lunacy? Something about trying the same thing over and over again? Well maybe it’s time to admit, without looking at what Desjardins has to say, to admit that a guy like 51 isn’t a good PKer and that things have to change with the entire unit for that. I mean fucking seriously that unit is sickening and when you see the chances they’re giving up I don’t expect any one of our netminders to improve the killing rate by any great deal.

And then you’ve got Horc getting his pocket picked early to start the Leafs momentum and then 34 gives away the go-ahead goal with less than a min to go in the second.

I called JDD fucking me over by getting light up by the Leaves but Garon at his best still gives up three of those goals considering the locale of the chances.

Penner would be a lot easier to like if he was only making Nilsson money and it’s hard not to get upset when you see a play like the one in the 3rd period where we have a good cycle going and Steen muscles him off the puck.

This team’s fortunes are Going to be mercurial given it’s lousy with youth and racked with indecision about it’s netminding and if you take those factors and administer substantial dollups of braindead play from the vets plus our usual festering PK, well then you’ll have a few results like tonight’s.

183. PDO says:

All I wanna know is, why didn’t Stortini, Souray, or ANYONE do to Blake what Cancer should’ve? That was a bullshit move on Visnovsky that should garner some suspension looks, and then he rips on JDD’s helmet with no call….

184. Matt says:

Jeez… Bruce is going to show up at the party, and find out everyone left early cause the band sucked.

185. PunjabiOil says:

Penner is nowhere near providing value. I’d dump him in the off-season (if possible) and look at signing a guy like Dumont or Frolov.

Pisani has been pretty ineffective this year too.

Likewise, Horcoff is doing little at EV in terms of generating offense.

They didn’t play that poorly today – special teams cost them, and that’s how it works. Marty Reasoner would have been valuable today, dammit.

186. HBomb says:

Oilers/Leafs at the ACC on March 7th.

I want to see Jason Blake leaving the arena that night in a fucking box.

Masterton trophy my hairy white ass.

As for the Oilers….Hemsky was great, Gilbert was good, the rest were mediocre at best. Guys I stand by in Cole/Pisani/Horcoff had rare nights were they were bad at both ends. I’ll bet my third testicle that they don’t do that again on Saturday.

Time to get Garon back in on Saturday. Simple as that.

187. mc79hockey says:

Nah, we left a note saying that we heard that there was a pretty good band in SJ tonight. He knows where to find us.

188. Swabbubba says:

Lets sign Tim McCracken to deal with douchebag Blake. Fuck I thought the overpaid pussy was going to cry here in Calgary. Then the refs decide it take a Timmy to school day how many calls can that whiny bitch get.

You know I thought we were going to lose no biggy I have 3rd jersey aversion. But the crap from Blake made this intolerable…. it was how the fing refs helped tilt the 2nd.

189. Phil says:

That would be Einstein

190. eidy says:

I must admit, i like 27 and 12 more than most. i think it is hard for penner to get shots from the pk and as much as he was given the keys to the playboy mansion last year for linemates, this year he has been last in line for the train this year. i still don’t like the idea of 18 on the first line, he got a goal tonight, but i don’t think he is the best option. not sure how comfortable 34 is on the left wing, can’t we put people in their natural positions for a trial anyways.
    89-12-83
    10-27-26
    78-18-34
    51-13-46
    I think 2nd and 3rd would give you 2 lines that would play tough minutes and give a chance for chemistry for dennis’s 78-34 tandem.

191. Ribs says:

Geez, that game was a downer. I’d like to blame the refs a little on this one but the Oilers did enough damage to themselves to lose this game. Why did they stop hitting after the first? It was working well.

-Hemsky was great. He was a superstar out there for most of the night. He really did the throwbacks justice. No complaints.

- Gagner looked out of his league with Hemsky running all over the place. He needs to reach another level before he can play at Hemsky’s top gear. Nice that he finally got one into the net. I think it will help him get more. Sometimes you just need to know that when you shoot, it will go in.

- Moreau put in a nice effort but I have to wonder if he wouldn’t be better used elsewhere in the lineup. As long as he keeps scoring I don’t care where he goes, I suppose.

-Horcoff was positively invisible this game. The stats say he won 10 faceoffs but it sure doesn’t sound right. I’ll blame it on too much hometown loving from his woman and let this one slide, but geez. This could have been an easy two points.

- Pisani had too much loving from his wife, ate the wrong breakfast,slipped on some ice on the way to the car this morning, and put his jock strap on backwards tonight. I can’t hate on him though. He’ll be back in shape in no time.

- Cole was almost as dissapointing as Horcoff. We need some energy from this guy and we need it every shift. I know he’s still trying to fit in but someone better light a fire…or a lamp.. or a match… or something for now.

- Cogliano looks frustrated and it’s effecting his game. Trust your teammates please. Pouliot was right there with him on a bunch of mini-rushes but he looked for the next play instead of what was presenting itself.

- I praised Penner for playing well this year after last game and this is what he does to me? He looked hungover all night. Seriously, look at the footage and tell me he wasn’t out drinking all night.

- Pouliot had a great first period. He was skating hard and getting into spots that were opened up because the team was hitting. I thought for sure he’d pop one. His shifts got cut short a few times because of penalties and commercial breaks which probably prevented him from getting that goal…Or at least that’s what I keep telling myself. Bah. He looked like he got tired again and started to get pushed around more easily as the game wore on. Maybe there is something to this dry-land training he should try?

- Brodziak and Stortini played fine games. Stortini could have provided one or two more big hits in the third to wake these guys up.

- Nilsson looked better…but very out of place. Does anyone else think they are preparing to move either him or Schremp? 4-Line minutes with time on the PP…Sounds like every armchairs idea of what Schremp would get if he came up.

Souray – Awesome. And yes, I will say this after every game. He’s been playing it safe and still adding a tonne to the offense.

Visnovsky – Good game but no edge to his game. This is a serious worry to me. Especially when he eats up so many minutes. Didn’t fare as well with Grebs at his side on the PP. Time will tell?

- Gilbert and Grebeshkov are interesting to watch. Probably not the safest matchup but they are quick and imaginative and seem to compliment eachother in some weird way. Personally, I’d keep Souray-Gilbert, Vis-Grebs, as pairings and see what that does for you for awhile…Maybe January we’ll see it.

- Staios and Strudwick have been a good base for the team. Staios looks more relaxed out there this year. It’s good and bad really. He’s sticking more to his defensive game but he’s lost some of his intensity.

- I’m still just glad Strudwick can skate and not look too foolish out there. It’s a good sign that his warts aren’t being criticized too harshly (so far). It means the team is better as a whole.

- JDD looked pretty average. Ghidorah will live on for another day…or two… or 40 games…

Who’s up next? The Avalanche. Interesting.

192. PunjabiOil says:

Other than the turnover that directly lead to the 4-2 goal

193. PDO says:

Other than the turnover that directly lead to the 4-2 goal

Puck was caught in his feet and he had NO puck support from ANYONE.

Souray played that two-on-one horrendously to say the least, and I really have no idea where the other defenseman (Visnovsky?) was.

194. RiversQ says:

Puck was caught in his feet and he had NO puck support from ANYONE.

Yeah that was absurd. Obviously you’d like Hemsky to be a little harder on the puck there, but there was one Leaf down on the ice along the boards before the pickpocket artist showed up, so if the Leafs can get another player over on the puck, why not the Oilers?

195. Ribs says:

Visnovsky coasted in while Moreua chased Blake into the corner. An odd play altogether but Moreau wa sthe only guy that looked like he knew what he was doing there.

Hemsky gives up pucks in the neutral zone….notice to defenders?

196. Doogie2K says:

Loxy and Andy did do that one podcast. I dunno how the ‘sphere would get on the radio (U of A campus radio?), but a podcast is readily doable with Skype and a few mics.

Regarding ON, I liked it at first, but there seems to be a proliferation of twats there as time goes on. Jeanshorts and Baggedmilk going from trolls to writers there in less than a month was pretty much the shark-jumper for me.

Those highlights made me cry. I will say, however, that Lucic is one bad motherfucker, and that unlike certain others who have been added recently, I’d be happy to have him on my team anytime.

Okay, game: When will the Oilers learn to clear the front of the net? The first two Leaf goals came on screens (the second being about six deep, for Christ’s sake), and from the second period on, there seemed to be at least one unopposed white sweater in Deslauriers’s face every shift. Between that and some inspired boneheadedness in the defensive zone (most notably, the play that led to the 2-on-1 for the fourth goal — where the hell was everyone on that one?), and it’s hard to fault 38 on any of the goals, save maybe the last one.

Speaking of 38, I wondered why he wasn’t wearing 39 if he idolized Hasek, like they noted in one of the pre-games last week. Then it occurred to me: has anyone worn 39 since the Doug Weight trade?

Tom Gilbert’s back, by the way.

I was thinking that, too. Didn’t lob the kind of grenades at 37 or his forwards that he was earlier in the year.

197. Jonathan says:

Then it occurred to me: has anyone worn 39 since the Doug Weight trade?

A quick trip to hockey reference reveals that:

a) Nobody has worn #9 since Weight left town
    b) Nobody has worn Lowe’s #4
    c) Nobody has worn Anderson’s/Nicholl’s/Corson’s #9 since Bill Guerin was traded.

198. Bruce says:

Sounds like I “picked” a good game to miss.

You know I thought we were going to lose no biggy

I thought we were going to lose the minute I read this quote in my morning paper from our fucking captain:
    “if we can win a couple of games here, we will be 6-3 through that nine-game stretch before we go back out on the road.”

Oops. Thinking about the result rather than the process. LT, wasn’t it Frank Crosetti who said “Let’s win one first”?

How this guy won the Masterton is beyond me.

He got it for being a cancer in the dressing room. Blake can be an effective player, but not by being sportsmanlike which has never been part of his game. Still, sounds like Toronto’s Masterton candidate had a lot bigger impact on tonight’s game than our (way, way more deserving) Masterton candidate.

Does my heart good to read that. Just saw the replay of the hit on Moore and it was a beauty. Looking at the game stats, though, I see the Leafs outhit the Oilers 13-5, with Stortini landing 40% of Oilers hits in roughly 2% of the ice time. Leafs blocked 12 shots, Oilers 8; and Leafs had 8 GV, Oilers 12. I know those RTSS are full of crap oftentimes, but 5 hits?

199. Satisfied_to_Ignore says:

This loss is no big deal. Shouldn’t have started JDD though, knowing how fast and high scoring TO is this year this was tossing him to the wolves. Start Roli for this one and we have a chance.

I was up way too late thinking about the oilers last night and what I kept coming back to is that they have no identity. MacT has an offensive team, but he doesn’t know what to do with it. So he tries to have them play a half offensive half defensive bastard system that is just not working.

I say screw defense. Plan on 4 goals a game, scoring at minimum one PP goal a game and ask your goalie to make the big save when you need it, but don’t sweat goals as long as you are ahead or within two. The tools are there. Our top 4 defense is a forward line and has little to no business trying to stop the other team. So MacT, quit pretending this team should play like you used to and let them go, it is going to be frustrating as hell, but it is also going to be entertaining and it will get us into the playoffs!

200. Jonathan says:

I know those RTSS are full of crap oftentimes, but 5 hits?

They’re full of crap. There were five hits by the Oilers in the first five minutes of the game; heck, Stortini alone probably had five hits.

Especially in the first, the Oilers were hitting all over the place.

They died off in the last two frames, but whoever was doing the count was drunk, stoned, an imbecile, or all three.

Newer Comments »