Odds and Sods

The other day I mentioned that a 2002 draft pick (Dwight Helminen) made his NHL debut with Carolina. Today we find that his early success (playing well, a goal and an assist the other night) cost former Oiler Dan Lacouture his NHL job.

Which is too bad because it comes on the heels of this story. Lacouture was always a favorite of mine and the first Al Gore discussion I ever had was Lacouture V. Cleary (Kim Gernack bet Cleary and won in an Obama landslide).

Do you ever check out the NHL transactions? Interesting stuff the last few days, including former Ranger phenom Hugh Jessiman (nickname: Huge Specimen) being sent away in a year when the Broadway blueshirts have had more than their share of disappointments in the first round pick department. They also sent out another first rounder, Lauri Korpikoski, earlier this week.

Dallas sent D Mark Fistric down, which is as predictable as snow in winter. When a team is struggling, young defensemen are usually a target for demotion.

Today we find out if the Canucks were successful in sneaking Michel Ouellet through re-entry waivers. My guess is no. Vancouver acquired him in early October and he’s been stuck in the minors waiting for the recall, with the parent team worrying over his being picked up.

We’ll know today.

40 Responses to "Odds and Sods"

1. oilerdago says:

LT – speaking of recall re-entry waivers, would Ryan Potulny have to go through the same thing if the Oilers tried to bring him up durng the year?

2. Schitzo says:

Yup. He’s almost playing TOO well at this point to recall him.

3. Scott says:

He had to make the team out of camp to have a realistic shot at playing in the NHL this year.

4. Lord Bob says:

Ouellet is exactly the sort of player I’d like to see the Oilers take a flyer on at half his cap space. Put him on the four-line with Brodziak and Pouliot/Stortini, and watch the EV+ fly.

Of course, we’d have to risk Deslauriers. But I could live with that.

5. HBomb says:

Well, if the Oilers are looking to offload a goalie, I think there's an obvious trading partner now:

Knowing Lou, there’ll be a special “dispersal” draft in which the Devils are allowed to draft a goalie “for the good of the league.”

God knows he’s crossed every other line. Fricking Devils.

Vancouver got a little lucky today, apparently he’s cleared waivers.

8. Nelson88 says:

hbomb

My thoughts as well. Eastern Conference. A guy who can keep them competitive and hold the fort with Weekes until Marty comes back. FA at the end of the year. How is their cap room?

9. Steven says:

Did anyone notice this little nuggest from the Journal today?

I’d say it’s about time after watching Visnovsky and Souray stand in one spot almost all of the Powerplays…

10. Oiler Mag says:

Roli+Schremp for John Madden?!!? We can dream – but how much would that improve this hockey club?

11. Schitzo says:

nelson:

They’re pretty close, but losing 60% of Brodeurs salary (~3.25) is enough to pick up the remainder of Roloson’s contract.

12. Showerhead says:

“On the power play, we just get so static with Sheldon and Lubi. Both (Gilbert and Grebeshkov) have great lateral movement with the puck. They will open up things sometimes at another level above that the predictable stationary power play we run.”

He knows? *huge gasp*

13. Nelson88 says:

schitzo.

Thanks. If the Devils were interested, and they probably would be, it creates an interesting dillema for the Oilers.

Garon has not proved he can be a #1 and the Oil may want Rollie as a good tag team for there own playoff run (I’m staying positive ;)

The fact they are on the eastern road trip and play the devils on sunday only adds to the fun. I suppose alot will depend on how both Rollie and Weekes perform in the next few games.

14. HBomb says:

Lowetide: I agree. Lou can go and fornicate himself with an iron stick.

15. CrazyCoach says:

I think Lou made a deal with the cloven-hoofed one a long time ago in exchange for naming rights of the Jersey team.

Lou must have the ghost of Sammy Pollock in him.

16. doritogrande says:

I don’t think the devils would be interested in Roloson, but JDD would certainly be an option there. Kevin Weekes comes off the books this summer and Jersey has nothing coming through their prospect pipe in terms of a back-up. Deslauriers is cheap enough that they could feasibly handle carrying three goalies once Brodeur comes back, or Lou creates another alteration to the CBA to benefit the Devils. Either works.

We admittedly wouldn’t be losing much if we trade Deslauriers. The kid deserves a shot in the NHL, but I don’t think he’s got one here. Much as I’d rather go with the young up and comer, we need Roloson as insurance here.

Oilermag, suggesting Schremp to the Devils is plain crazy. Sutter is more a stickler to battlers and muckers than MacT. He’d have no use for him.

A brief glance at the Devils roster doesn’t yeild much, but I’d be happy to flip Deslauriers for a second round pick. If I were to make a play for one of their roster players, it wouldn’t be Madden. Deslauriers and Grebeshkov for Colin White, please.

17. Lord Bob says:

How can somebody not take Ouellet? I don’t even faintly understand that. Is he a raging coke addict? Is there some sort of gentleman’s agreement against plucking folks off recall waivers that Michel Ouellet wasn’t worth breaking?

Honestly? I think it’s Mike Johnson syndrome. It’s the name, nobody can even spell the damn thing.

Guys like this need to change their names to Frank Malahovich and then they’ll get noticed.

:-)

19. Master Lok says:

What is the Devils trade for Roli….

And the Devils go on a Cup run with Roli while Brodeur takes longer than expected to recover?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Devils were interested… Roli has good experience with trap-oriented systems.

20. Jonathan says:

Honestly, I don’t get the hesitation on recall waivers at all. Were I an NHL GM, I’d be tempted to stock my team with nine NHL forwards, and garbage on the 4th line. Then I could pick up Pettinger/Ouellet or a guy like Thoreson last year at half price.

So instead of paying 1.3M for Ouellet, I’m paying 650K. Or instead of paying 650K for Thoreson, I’m paying 325K. Cheapest 4th line in hockey.

Atlanta’s flexibility let them get Schneider for nothing – I’m thinking in general it might not be a bad idea to try and enter the season with 5-6 million in cap space.

21. B.C.B. says:

If Tambo trades Roli then it must be for a 3C or top four D, or the Oilers are still rebuilding. We would need one of those two types of players for the playoffs (maybe to get in).

But to get such a return for Roli is not going to happen unless we throw in a prospect (and maybe a pick too).

Off jersey I’d only trade for (2007-2008 stats Behindthenet)

D John Oduya
    15 TOI/60, 0.02QalComp, 2.67 GFON/60, 1.39 GAON/60, and +24 ($0.6 mil this year, RFA next)
    He out scores Colin White, only has a slightly lower QalComp, better plus minus, and has a far better GFON/60 to GAON/60 ratio. Also the only other top four D man Paul Martin I doubt would be possible to trade for.

C Madden
    defensive center genius, I do not believe I have to defend this with stats.

To get either of these players we would have to add picks and/or prospects:

what about
    Wild, Roli, and a 5rd round = Madden
    or
    Roli and Wild = Oduya

(we have a lot of defensive prospects anyway)

22. Scott says:

Why would Jersey give up a veteran D without getting a D that can play?

Why would Jersey give up one of the best veteran checking C in the game without getting back an NHL checking C?

23. HBomb says:

Because they’ve got two of them and could probably live with just one.

Last time I checked, that Bobby Holik guy can still play a little.

I’d do Roloson and Schremp for Madden without blinking. No lie.

24. Jonathan says:

Last time I checked, that Bobby Holik guy can still play a little.

I haven’t seen him much this season, but he was brutal in Atlanta. Certainly not in Madden’s class anymore.

If Madden’s coming this way, I’d be willing to bet Pouliot/Brodziak is going the other way. And I’m really not sure that’s a trade I want to make.

25. B.C.B. says:

scott: there are rarely trades where you trade a player for another player in same position and at the same rank on the depth cart.

NJD needs goaltending and we need a shutdown player: they have what we need and we have what we need. I can smell a trade before march 4.

Teams also attempt to deal players that they have other players and/or prospects: NJD have two shutdown centers (as hbomb said) and we have too many goalies and a lot of defense prospects.

26. Scott says:

I just don’t think Roloson is so unique that they need to give up someone of such high quality to get him. Last year, Huet was traded for a second round pick. Chris Mason was traded for a fourth round pick. Brodeur is coming back by the end of the year so New Jersey is not desperate. If Weekes is average over the next five or ten games, does Jersey even think of Roloson as an upgrade?

The “extras” that you’re suggesting are really not much. Wild might make the NHL. He’s not a sure thing. A 5th round pick is a pittance.

John Madden is a useful player. Average goalies are had for much less.

27. Dennis says:

Lots of ways to look at this and the only way I could see Lowe dealing Roli is if he’s willing to gamble again on ’09 being another year of developing and he’s willing to let us flounder if Garon can’t handle the heavy load; the other side of the coin — and this is a stretch — is they’d leave Garon with only JDD as a net and then we’d get a look at what we had before we inked him longterm.

That’s a stretch but I’m just throwing it out there.

Overall, though, dealing off Roli for anything less than a real checking pivot and or an affordable defender would seem like a lateral move at best so it’s not worth the trouble. Roli would be the kind of guy who could fit into NJ seamlessly but I don’t like our depth at G if we move him.

On another note, he should be back by the time NJ plays Cgy and Minny so we get our NJ game without Brodeur being in goal. Every break counts and this could be one of the two point variety.

And with things close to breaking down in CBJ and a Weekes lead Devils we could be looking at a sweet roadtrip.

28. B.C.B. says:

Well if Roli + wild + low pick is not enough to get Madden or Oduya, what would be?

I suggested Wild since I believe that the Oilers will be shopping a D prospect since we have lots ( 7 of the top twenty at hockey futures). I don’t think the Oilers would attempt to shop Petry, Chorney, or Peckham for a player who is a RFA next year. I don’t think Hrabel, or Plante would bring back the return we need. That leaves me Wild or Modin to trade . . .

How much should the Oil give up to get a player who is an RFA next year? Roli, a prospect in the range of Wild, Vande Velde, or Cornet, plus a low pick would net a usable player we need (an average roster player the other team needs, a ok prospect with an average chance of making the show, and a flyer draft choice; there is both now and the future in there for the Devils).

Prospects are nice and all but NJD have their prospects too and are hopeful they’re going to turn out.

So when we talk about Cody Wild having value to Lou, the fact is that they have Matt Corrente and think he’s going to be pretty good too.

30. PunjabiOil says:

I’m not sure Potulny will have to clear waivers. As per Guy Flaming, he has a two-way contract. He needed to clear waivers to get sent down to the NHL, but I’m not sure if it’s the same thing the other way around.

Where is speeds when you need him? ;)

31. B.C.B. says:

I am suggesting a roster player that fits a need (Roli), plus prospect and picks for a player who has a higher value that fits our needs (madden or oduya). This could be applied to any teams.

How much value to these RFAs have? Its not like they are Hossa (two roster players plus two highly value prospects/picks). I suggest these two players are worth what I suggested before . . . and haven’t heard any other suggestions it would take to add to Roli to get a player of similar quality. A player that fits a need maybe is worth more then that player is really worth: example a vet goalie playing ‘ok,’ that doesn’t have a $6 million price tag is more valuable to them now then say Mason during free agent season.

If anyone has what would take for the Oilers to get a 3C or top four defense man, I’d love to hear it. (thanks hbomb, you did give a suggestion) Would Roli even be part of the deal?

32. Scott says:

In order to get a roster player that is useful to the Devils from the Devils you’re going to need to give up something that they:

A. Can use now.
    B. Can’t find easily elsewhere.

Shopping for elite checking centers or top 4 D from teams trying to contend isn’t going to work unless you’re sending something you value yourself the other way. Something like Pisani and Roloson for Madden seems more realistic, but even there, I think it would depend on whether or not the Devils think Holik fills Madden’s spot well enough and even then the salary may be too much for them to take on. I guess I just don’t think Jersey is much of a fit unless you’re thinking of just plain old unloading Roloson for a 4th, which isn’t worth it to me.

B.C.B.: Why would NJ add a veteran goalie for a run at the second season but weaken itself for that run by giving up something of immediate use?

They can trade a draft pick for a replacement.

34. HBomb says:

Well, giving up Pisani on top of Roloson to get Madden is something I’m opposed to. Pisani’s too important.

Maybe the better idea would be to simply target Holik? He’d cost less to get than Madden (maybe in a straight swap for Roloson), and he’s certainly an upgrade on the earlier suggestion in another post of the Oilers bringing back Reasoner at the deadline.

35. Scott says:

As for a suggestion, I know everyone here hates Marty, but he’s a guy that’s going to be UFA, pretty cheap, terrible team, good results so far this year, good faceoffs, good PK, familiar with the team.

Just send out some prospects to Atlanta and I’m sure they’d be thrilled. Just take out the Roloson part, and ask them which dman they’re rating highly. If it’s Wild, then that probably works well for us. If you can’t come to an agreement maybe it’s a higher pick. I can just imagine the vitriol of a “3rd round pick traded for Marty Reasoner” trade though. It would be funny stuff.

36. PunjabiOil says:

I agree with Jonathan. It doesn’t make much sense overpaying for 4th liners. There are always guys available who have hold strong ability to provide ”bang for the buck”

Glen Murray could be had cheap right now. Sure, no longer much of a threat 5 on 5 – but if he give him limited minutes on the 4th line, and let him work his magic 5 on 4, what’s the issue? There’s Mike Johnson still available, as is Bryan Smolinski. Ouellet is another player who could prove to be excellent value.

So why doesn’t anybody want these guys?

Beats me.

37. B.C.B. says:

I do Roli and St. Frenando for Madden in a second. I think Lou and Sutter would too if they could (Pisani is Sutter’s type of player, and goalies are crazy)

It would clear up a bunch of cap space for us, but would Jersey have the cap space. Pisani ($2.5 mil) + Roli ($3.5?) would be a total of $5 million against Jersey’s cap: they are closer to the cap then we are and the Oil would only taking back $2.939 mil. The Oil could use this cap space later to help pick up another piece of the puzzle.

The cap space is the other reason why I am suggesting trades will have a high prospect or pick content. These don’t count against the cap this year, and can increase the value of what is coming back.

38. B.C.B. says:

Lowetide: if Brodeur is out up to 4 months and Weekes is the number one, I don’t think NJD will make the second season. I think NJD needs to find a replacement in net, now. What goalie is up for grabs right now: Roli, Bulin Wall, Greber?, and Halak. They could have Bulin wall if they wanted and could find room. Greber would be avialable if a goalie was going back. And Halak would be more expensive.

I have been waiting for a goalie to go down (and not much in that teams pipeline) as the ONLY way to get rid of Role and get something (anything) back. I think and have said (as did Dennis) that it is a waste trading Roli without getting something we need back.

B.C.B.: I agree and in fact would hope they keep Roloson in Edmonton.

However, NJD aren’t going to trade an important piece of their team for Dwayne Roloson. If they have to miss the playoffs this season because of the Brodeur injury then maybe they deal off their veterans for picks.

As for Marty, I can definitely see him coming back.

40. Ribs says:

Glen Murray could be had cheap right now.

…or may be not?