Oh My!

For the last several seasons Oilers fans have been rewarded by stellar play from prospects. From the Comrie run in the WHL to the Hemsky numbers in Hull to Schremp in London to Gagner as a rookie, there’s seldom been a time when someone on Edmonton’s list wasn’t kicking out the jams.

This season there’s so much to see that some exceptional performances are getting lost in the flood. Consider this post (and the thread that follows, I’m sure you have something to talk about that I’ll have missed) an effort to right a wrong.

I’m doing this as a starting point to my new Oilers top 20 which will begin arriving in daily installments December 1.

• Riley Nash gets untracked with a deuce last night against Hahvahd.
  • Jordan Eberle scoring nightly and on a 50-goal pace.
  • Theo Peckham continuing an offensive awakening that began in his draft year, plus of course he’s a freaking train.
  • Taylor Chorney ends month one in pro -5 and is currently EV in month two. That’s growth.
  • Liam Reddox looks better in the NHL than the AHL numbers imply.
  • Cody Wild: +7 in 8 AHL games.
  • Devan Dubnyk: His SP currently sits at .917 and that’s after a so-so effort.
  • Linus Omark: Almost a point-per-game pace in the SEL.
  • Jeff Deslauriers: A nice rookie season in the NHL despite inactivity.
  • Alex Plante: Incredible turnaround, 15 points in 23 WHL games.
  • Phillippe Cornet: Ripping up the Q, 26 points in 21 games leads the Oceanic (and a few higher draft picks).
  • Andrew Perugini: A stellar .931SP in the ECHL.

I had Riley Nash at number one in the summer and his competition for the top spot (imo) is between Eberle and Peckham. After the top 3 it’s a free-for-all, with guys like Plante and Cornet moving up the charts and Perugini likely to make an impressive debut.

It wasn’t always this way, folks. There were years when finding someone to talk about in the Oilers system was an absolute chore.

35 Responses to "Oh My!"

1. Black Dog says:

Its really terrific LT. I’m really looking forward to the next top 20.

I remember a year ago, I believe, when you were talking about the crop of kids ready to graduate and how the pool would be a lot more shallow this year. Well, it looks like the lasting legacy of Kevin Lowe will be this player procurement department.

With Reddox’s arrival there are now eight Oiler picks on the roster up front, plus Pisani.

People talked for years before the lockout about Detroit and the Avs having an unfair advantage but with both of those clubs plus the Devils drafting and development was the foundation of their successes.

A guy not mentioned – Jeff Petry.

2. rickibear says:

I am interested to see how Teemu Hartikainen does at the world JRs for Finland as an 18yr old.

3. Ribs says:

Craziness. I’m an Oilers fan so there is some pessimism in me and I’m still thinking it’s too early to tell with most of these guys.

It does give me a nice warm feeling inside to hear they are doing well, though.

4. doritogrande says:

Chris Vandevelde is second on his (rebuilding) team in points, behind Hobey Baker Winner Ryan Duncan.

08 pick Johan Motin is playing in the SEL on a consistent basis against men. No statistics to speak of, but isn’t that the point of a defensive defenseman?

Unfortunately, with all the positive stories there have been the perpetual underachievers to come out of our system. What happened to the 50-goal scorer that was Stephane Goulet? The ‘power forwards’ in Jacques, McDonald and Paukovich? And that’s to say nothing of Rob Schremp.

I guess that’s the benefit of having a deep prospect pool. The surprises and successes can, at most times, outweigh the failures.

5. Doogie2K says:

Plante was second star last night in a 6-1 win over Prince Albert, with three assists. Referring back to someone I mentioned a few posts ago, Brandon Kozun also had another goal to keep pace with Eberle, and fellow undrafted top-liner Kyle Bortis had a goal, too. I wouldn’t argue if the Oilers signed/late-picked either or both of these guys; hard to believe two-thirds of the top line of the best team in the WHL went undrafted last year (and the third, who has the WHL points lead, was a third-rounder).

6. Black Dog says:

dg – exactly – there are always going to be busts, heck the majority of this list will likely get derailed at some point

but if you have a long list of quality kids then some are going to stick

7. Schitzo says:

I would argue that if your successes outweigh your failures, you’re in the upper echelon of drafting.

I think most teams would be happy if 1/3 of their draft picks turned out to be success stories. That’d mean 2-3 players per draft, which is terrific.

8. Dennis says:

Peckham’s offense will probably disappear as soon as he hits the NHL just like Ladislav Albelin’s did.

I’d wager he’s picking up the points because he has a hammer of a shot and he won’t see the light of day on the Oilers PP.

I am looking forward to the WJC this year though with the prospect of having a couple of Oiler prospects on display.

Now if we could just muzzle McGuire before the tourney then we’d be all set.

9. Black Dog says:

schitzo – I think the Wings shoot for 2 players per draft and if they hit that its a success

Dennis – TSN should run an online contest with the winner getting a chance to cut McGuire’s tongue out

I’m sure the server would crash within seconds of the contest’s opening

08-09 Peckham at EVs: 2-4-6
    08-09 Peckham on PP: 2-1-3

That’s in 14 AHL games. In the same time span one year ago:

07-08 Peckham at EVs: 2-1-3
    07-08 Peckham on PP: 1-1-2

Looks to me like Peckham is improving at EVs and that hammer is working 5×5 too.

11. doritogrande says:

bdhs:

There was a time where I actually didn’t mind Pierre. Knowledgable about the game, knew when to pick his spots to get excited. Then he developed the “double dion”, and it all went to pot. It’s like the moment he met Phaneuf, everything changed. His fancy has since expanded to the likes of Rick Nash, Ryan Getzlaf and Crosby!, and has still kept the love going for his poster child. Oddly enough though, I can’t remember him ever getting excited for anyone other than a Canadian boy.

The Don Cherry syndrome, perhaps?

12. toqueboy says:

the oiler’s listed all their main prospects on the site yesterday and perugini wasn’t listed to my surprise…oversite?

13. Schitzo says:

bdhs: If it’s good enough for the Red Wings, it’s good enough for me!

14. Jonathan says:

TB: Well, they included Pitton and Perugini’s way ahead of him (it’s not even close), so I’m assuming it’s just guys with an NHL contract or draft picks. The numbers –

Pitton: 2-5-1, 3.34 GAA, .888 SV%
    Perugini: 4-0-2, 2.41 GAA, .931 SV%

Perugini may never be more than a good minor-league goaltender, but if he can keep this pace up, he’ll eclipse every Oilers goalie prospect in the last decade.

15. Dennis says:

I used to like Pierre as well but then I heard him talking about the oilers and i realized he wasn’t really as knowledgeable as it seemed – if he could fuck up stuff about a canadian team then I wondered what other lies he was selling us – and then I began to turn on him and now he’s just unbearable. Our country as a Whole is pretty much unbearable during the WJC, for that matter.

And at the risk of threadjacking, Luongo left today’s game in Pit with a left leg injury; he wasn’t putting any pressure on that wheel when they shuffled him off. John Garrett went into a rant about afternoon games and the Gene Principe of the Dys – he’s a young fellow and his name currently escapes me – just buzzed in to say Luongo wouldn’t return and the tone resembled Cronkite talking about that day in Dallas.

Before that happened the first shift of the game saw Cooke submarine Edler and the Dys broadcast team were not in the least pleased. And then something came to me: there was a guy who used to play for the Dys and his name was also Matt Cooke. So I went to hockeydb to check it out and wouldn’t you fucking know it: it was the same guy!!

I guess he was the model of sportsmanship with Van because why else would the announcers become so upset with today’s behaviour???

16. Sean says:

If Nash and Eberle make the team, I’ll have no problems tuning out McGuire.

After seeing so many coke machine picks fail, I’d still have a tenancy to but Plante higher on the list because of his size. To me size matters more on D than up front. Anyways I digress. Speaking of coke machines, anyone heard how JFJ is doing? I still have dreams of the Oilers getting a player like Lucic … or that Penner was Lucic.

17. Black Dog says:

dg – agreed, when he is in studio or on his meds the guy does a good job, he’s knowledgeable and articulate

its the other 90% of the time when he’s doing what some jackass producer decided was the way to go – turn up the volume – that he’s unbearable

18. Schitzo says:

bdhs: Clearly you haven’t heard, sports fans like their commentary to be XTREME.

19. Black Dog says:

sean – I think I read recently that JFJ is near returning

Dennis – heh – that frigging Cooke

Jeez is he an arsehole.

Well, if Luongo is done then things got a whole lot easier for everyone else in the NW and with Morrow gone for the year it looks like Dallas may be fucked so I think with two competitors for the playoffs in possible trouble the pressure on the Oilers to grab a spot is likely through the roof

20. Black Dog says:

schitzo – yeah I guess I’m showing my age, right now my wife and the baby are out, the boy is napping and my eldest is watching a show

this is XTREME for me – having a beer in peace and quiet

although I’m going to the big Wendel game tonight, dinner and a few pints, should be good

that’s what passes for a XTREME when you hit forty and you have three kids five and under

21. spOILer says:

Nash W-L on FOs is 54-51. Nice, but only one >50% game so far.

Petry is 13gp, 1-3-4, 4th on the Spartans, Top Dman, the only one with a goal, a PP marker.

Spartans are struggling, losers of 5 in a row, including last game to Nebraska-Omaha 7-1.

Petry’s well off the pace of one year ago. I understand the team isn’t very good, but if he’s driving the bus the numbers should be a little better imo.

I never did understand why Guy had him #1, based on age and draft pedigree Petry didn’t seem (to me) a good bet to be better than Chorney and Wild let alone the rest of the pack.

23. Bruce says:

Ha! Dennis, you make me laugh even when I’m arguing with you, but it becomes a full belly laugh when you absolutely nail the facts while pillorying a hated rival at the same time. In this case, two hated rivals — Matt F. Cooke and the Vancouver broadcast shills. They used to be in love with each other … not so much any more, from the sounds of that. Hope Edler wasn’t hurt, but it sure doesn’t bother me that Vancouver supporters are finally seeing the truth about the gutless puke who sullied their franchise for years with his routinely chickenshit assaults. Fucking backstabber.

One question thugh, you routinely call them the “Dys”. Never have gotten the history behind that moniker.

24. mc79hockey says:

Bruce -

Surely you’re aware of the Canucks dynasty? Extended from about 2000-2004. One year they went all the way to the second round.

25. HBomb says:

Dys: Short for "Dynasties". Nickname coined on Oilfans in 2002 or thereabouts for purpose of mocking the Canucks and their long & proud tradition of, ahem, success…..

Luongo hurt, eh? I'll put "sympathy card to Canucks" on my to do list, to co be completed somewhere after I finish giving myself a vasectomy with an electric turkey carver. Asshats. Everything they get, they deserve, based on years of support for clowns like Bertuzzi, Cooke, and Burrows.

26. B.C.B. says:

I have a friend in Rimouski with season tickets, and he watches Cornet with interest (as he is also a fan of the Oil). He claims that Cornet surprised him this year and thinks he could make it as a thirdliner if he learned to hit a little more.

If you are interest, you can watch him here:
    (as a warning, it is french, without replays, and occasionally crappy music: Cornet is #15 in Blue)

27. Bruce says:

Not to mention Burke, Crawford, and Jerkko Ruutu. Say no more.

Thanks for the answer, Tyler and HBomb. I figured it might be some sort of “dynasty” reference. I was thinking more generally of 1970-2008, but the specific reference to the one Vancouver team that actually stirred some emotion out of me (rank fucking hatred) seems appropriate.

28. Kara says:

I’ll be moving to Val D’Or shortly. Looking forward to catching some QMJHL games the rest of the season.

29. HBomb says:

…but the specific reference to the one Vancouver team that actually stirred some emotion out of me (rank fucking hatred) seems appropriate.

As opposed to an underdog 1994 Canuck squad that I actually liked (underdogs to game seven of the final), I’ve absolutely despised the Canucks and everything about them since 2001-02.

Gigantic collection of douchebags, and their fans are even worse. Especially the ones who go to games in Edmonton. Most of those losers wouldn’t even know who Stan Smyl was in “Bertuzzi” jerseys (still).

30. Ozzieoiler says:

Schremp with a goal and assist so far tonight. For all BBO’s love for Schremp he did call that he would score this weekend, said he seemed to be shooting more and looking to pass less.

31. Dennis says:

ICE CHIPS: It was “fight night,” and it happened early. Peckham and former Falcon Jay Rosehill squared off during the pregame warmups. Then, as soon as the puck dropped to start the game, Guillaume Lefebvre of the Falcons and Paul Szczechura, Norfolk’s leading scorer, went at it. Nine minutes later, Lefebvre was at it again, tangling with Zenon Konopka …

That’s from the Falcons daily and how can you not like a kid who’ll fight in warm-up’s? Still probably a ways away from being anything more than a 6th dman in ’09 though most likely.

And why haven’t the Oilers tried Lefebvre as a rabble rousing 4th liner? The guy looks to have the heart for it and if you’re using spots on the Macintryre’s and Boulerice’s of the world then why not this guy? Could they really be worried about losing him on waivers? He seems like the kind of guy that would be willing to run into other guys and try and get things going.

of course maybe Brule’s coming up after this weekend. Today in the Journal there was talk about the Oilers having an open roster spot though they wouldn’t call anyone up until after the Falcons finish their three game weekend. Now they didn’t say they Were going to call anyone but if they do then it won’t be Brule if Tambellini sticks to his word about square pegs and round holes. Unless of course they’re gonna put him with 10-83:D

Brule has another goal and four SOG thus far tonight, BTW. His GPG rate is impressive but he should be going at a point per game considered this is his third year of pro and he’s already got two NHL seasons under his belt.

32. Dennis says:

Bruce: I’m just a funny guy;) And I’m even more entertaining in person:)

And yeah I coined the Dynastys term back in the early ’00′s in the old days of OF. There was this guy named Vanfan that I think I just about drove clean clear off his head; that’s an old NF expression for the ex-pat Bruce:)

33. Bank Shot says:

3 point night for Robbie. Hopefully Muffin tits goes on a tear so the Oilers can package him for something useful to the big club.

34. hunter1909 says:

I like Plante a lot.

He looks like Frankensteins monster for size, but like the monster isn’t totally in control of his body.

He does have really good hockey sense though, so it should be interesting to see how he develops.

35. hunter1909 says:

I knew a Vanfan from my days of AOL hockey chat terrorism. I wonder if it’s the same dude.