Oilers at Blue Jackets, G12/08-09

Sam Gagner is a better hockey player this year than he was a year ago.

The points aren’t coming, but the results are very strong and in areas where we shouldn’t expect a 19-year old to deliver results.

It’s important to remember that adding up goals and assists only tells part of the story; in the words of the coach, it’s a lot about goals but it’s also a lot about what you leave.

Sam Gagner’s line is leaving very little for the next guy so far and that’s a solid indicator.

First, let’s look at the boxcar numbers year over year:

• 07-08 (1st 10): 1-6-7, -2
  • 08-09 (1st 10: 0-2-2, E

Now for context: In his rookie season Gagner was playing against butter opposition. This season, according to Desjardins, the kids are facing much tougher competition.

It’s also important to remember that Gagner’s season one year ago had the ups and downs we associate with all players.

• 07-08 (2nd 10): 1-1-2, -6

And my notes say it was against the same butter coming back the other way. This season, I’d bet he’ll do better than 2 points in his second 10 game segment and it’ll be against tougher competition.

Context. Sam Gagner. 19 years old, playing against actual NHL players and it’s a draw. Plus his interviews are music! Every time he’s asked about the offense, he makes eye contact and speaks in a confident tone.

Touched by God, with composure and a very big brain. At 19.

Pinch me.

332 Responses to "Oilers at Blue Jackets, G12/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Boondock says:

Is the other part of the story the error stat?

2. Dennis says:

I like 89 as much as the next guy and except when he’s on the PK it’s very easy to remember that he’s only 19 years old. Great vision and a sneakily heavy shot, can make a lot of nice little plays already and already has enough confidence and understanding to realize that as long as you’re hitting the ball hard, the hits will come.

BUT, we’re playing CBJ for the first time this season and we’re facing an old buddy who knocked out Milan Michalek and killed the Sharks offensive depth, who finished Doug Weight’s postseason and who had Aaron Ward on his last ribs and constantly in danger of pissing himself.

And you can’t put up a Raffi Torres picture?

3. HBomb says:

Yes Lowetide, I agree with Dennis….some love for Torres would be nice.

4. Dennis says:

I dare say that LT has angered Stan Weir with this omission.

5. doritogrande says:

Raffi Torres reminds me of a puffy-eyed goldfish.

And he’ll be invisible tonight. As will the rest of the Blue Jackets.

4-1 victory. Any word on who’s tending the net tonight?

6. Schitzo says:

Dorito: Sounds like Norenna from this blog. Mason comes up but won’t be ready to play tonight.

7. Lord Bob says:

The question is, will this be one of the three games this year where Torres will hit a guy so hard he spends the rest of his life drinking his food through a straw, or will this be one of the other seventy-nine?

You think he’d be motivated being traded for a guy who’s currently in the minors. But, then, you’d think Raffi Torres would be motivated by lots of things.

8. Bruce says:

What has impressed me most about Sam Gagner this early season has been his composure with the puck in his own zone. Sometimes it takes a while for kids with great offensive instincts to use those same skills to create time and space for themselves in other areas of the ice. Sam seems to be getting it.

Anyone check the standings? The Oilers are in the mix in the NW this season and the Wild are coming back a little.

Good times.

10. Dennis says:

Raffi, RaffI, RafFI, RaFFI, RAFFI!!!

11. Ribs says:

Raffi who?

12. Doogie2K says:

Raffi, of course.

13. Lord Bob says:

Do we know if it’s Garon or Roloson tonight?

14. PDO says:

Roloson is in tonight.

Garon gets the Pens?

Norrena in for the Jackets… second worst sv% in the league.

15. spOILer says:

Pinch!

I think it’s still too early to tell whether Sam’s underlying numbers will hold as we still have a pretty small sample size.

But it’s looking pretty good so far, points or no points. I’d like to see him on the first PP more, as I think he and the defensive G’s were a big part of the PP success at the end of last season.

I’m also curious if we’ll see the same Hemmer as last game, or will he ease off the pedal a bit after driving for two last game.

I wanna see him hungry for more.

16. Traktor says:

I haven’t liked Gagner’s game this season. Patience is good and all but I noticed he’s holding onto the puck for too long too many times. Too many turnovers when there’s a man open. I think the points came a little bit too easy last year and he’s trying to do too much instead of letting the puck do the work.

17. Doogie2K says:

18. nancy says:

“I do sincerely hope it’s Norrena, because if it’s Mason, we are certifiably fucked.”

Norrena tweaked his groin. Mason’s in.

19. Ribs says:

Maybe Gagner knows his weak spots?

20. Quain says:

Gagner is nothing more than a glorified, overpaid third line center.

21. Doogie2K says:

Norrena tweaked his groin. Mason’s in.

See, I’d had this nagging negative feeling all day, like we were going to lose 2-1 tonight, but I had nothing to point to, nothing reasonable, so I kept my mouth shut.

Now I do.

22. Jonathan says:

23. Bruce says:

//I do sincerely hope it’s Norrena, because if it’s Mason, we are certifiably fucked. We never do well against rookie goalies.//

/Norrena tweaked his groin. Mason’s in. /

Doogie: What, no shutout? You’re an incurable optimist. Not that I believe in hexes and signs, but shut up already about the rookie goalie. Meanwhile I’ll promise not to invoke the name of Daren Puppa.

24. Traktor says:

“So is he too patient, or doing too much work? Because, from where I sit, it’s pretty difficult to do both.”

Gagner is holding on to the puck for too long (patience) waiting for the perfect play to develop or a lane to open up when he has teammates open albeit in less than prime scoring areas (trying to do too much).

I’ve noticed the following a couple times on the PP:

Nilsson is on the right goal line, Gagner is on the right half boards and Gilbert is on the left point thinking about sneaking in. Gagner has the puck and he looks at Nisson and he thinks that Nilsson doesn’t have a good scoring opportunity so he holds onto the puck for another 10 seconds waiting for lanes to open up but the thing is Nilsson could sense Gilbert was going to sneak in and as soon as Gagner passed him the puck he was going to 1-time pass it to Gilbert for the cross crease tap-in. But Gagner looks at Nilsson and thinks there is nothing going on so he holds onto the puck and ends up losing it because he was trying to do too much. Patience is great but don’t forget to keep it simple and let the puck to the work.

25. Doogie2K says:

What, no shutout? You’re an incurable optimist.

What can I say? I still think Gagner’s due.

26. T. says:

I also think Gagner is due. He’s doing all the right things and these things go in spurts. With most of the rest of them getting various monkeys off their backs on the weekend, tonight may just be Sam’s night. (crossed fingers)

And did anyone watch the clip of Raffi on the Oilers site… does he look oddly… skinny or something? Maybe it’s the lack of hair – facial or otherwise, or I guess he could have lost muscle due to the not playing for so long but he looks odd to me.

27. devin says:

I’m with Traktor, in a sense. I see Hemsky go through the same thing on a regular basis, where he seems to want to make the perfect play and forgets that a puck moves faster than the he or the defender can. It’s part of the ups and downs of highly skilled players (in fact, Crosby goes through this all the time, too).

When Sam is at his best he does the little, simple things that to this day Hemsky can’t do consistently. An example that comes immediately to mind is his goal-line jam play, reminiscent of Ryan Smyth. Jamming the puck into the crease unexpectedly yields a lot of great rebounds, scrambles, and goals (especially with Penner hanging out in front), but it’s a play that is highly counterintuitive to the “artiste” despite the fact that the risk:reward ratio is very favourable. And when that play is expected, well, the points open up and Sam can pass like few others.

I think of Datsyuk a little with Sam (though Pavel is a much better skater at this phase) in the sense that he’s a highly skilled guy who can choose the “ugly” play when it’s warranted. D-men are terrified of guys like that ;)

28. Doogie2K says:

So Pierre MacGuire is kind of a douche. He’s talking about sophomore slumps, and guys not working as hard as they did in the first year, and Gagner. Okay, first, that’s exactly what Gagner has been saying for two weeks, second, has he been watching the games? He’s certainly not lacking for effort.

Also, I love how he’s tuned my hearing to “homoerotic.” He talked about Ales Hemsky, and said, “you get tantalized.” Except I heard, “you get tent lines,” which is not at all the same thing. Well, okay, maybe a little bit.

29. Doogie2K says:

I also love his question, “what does it mean to be Captain of the Edmonton Oilers?” Wouldn’t this question be better asked…I dunno, at the press conference announcing his captaincy a year and a half ago?

I don’t know. A man with a storied coaching career like Pierre MacGuire has to be respected.

I’ve changed my mind, Pierre is right. Sam Gagner is lazy.

31. HBomb says:

I’ve changed my mind, Pierre is right. Sam Gagner is lazy.

The sarcasm! It burns!

32. Bruce says:

Devin: Excellent observation. Last spring Sam got a few assists on that type of play, primarily on Penner powerplay goals and Cogliano ESG. With both Gagner and Nilsson the puck seems to naturally gravitate to the goalmouth — and the more naturally the better. Both have great instincts which are not necessarily helped by stopping to think.

Whereas Hemsky always seems to want the style points, make the perfect play. It’s not that he’s stupid, it’s just an entirely different instinct.

Gretzky used to get 200 points a year, and maybe half of them were pretty ugly, at least from the other team’s perspective. But his method of putting the puck into the danger zone when the other guys weren’t ready for it was spectacularly efficient. Sam’s got some of that in him, for sure. (Key word: “some”)

33. Jonathan says:

Stop by Battle of Alberta. The article they link to eventually links to a Bryan Curtis column that talks about the occasionally ugly state of sports journalism. My favourite quote, courtesy of an ESPN behind the scenes guy:

…cliché-spouting of most athletes is, if anything, the fault of the reporter. “The success of the interview depends more on us than them,” he [Sawatsky, the behind the scenes guy] told the ESPN anchors.

34. speeds says:

I’m very impressed LT.

How you managed to make the pre-game thread about Gagner, against Columbus, and not mention Voracek, I’ll never know ;)

35. Jonathan says:

By the way, if you guys aren’t enjoying TSN’s broadcast, suck it up. I’m watching the Ohio feed online, and it’s going to kill me.

36. Jonathan says:

And if somehow the broadcast doesn’t kill me, Rick Nash will.

37. Bruce says:

Fourth shift, and Pouliot is the first forward who looked like he had a clue in our zone. (shudder)

Did you notcie Souray not make the obvious outlet pass to SMac? Thought better of it, circled back and started the play up the other side.

38. Bruce says:

Raffi is still a prick. that was cheap.

speeds: I know! Pretty smooth, huh? :-)

40. Jonathan says:

Most impressively, nobody has yet mentioned Dan Heyda.

41. doritogrande says:

That son of a bitch punched Smid in the head.

I thought we were cutting down on headshots?

42. Dennis says:

Isn’t it funny how the hockey gods rule? LT angers them by not mentioning Raffi in this post and then they instruct Raffi to elblow LT favorite Smid right in the head.

WHat about Howson? And didn’t Hitchcock used to work at United Cycle?

Dennis: At least he hasn’t hurt Gagner……

45. Jonathan says:

Fox just ran a recording of some unidentified Jacket read the three keys to the game:

“Play a solid 60 minutes
    Get pucks through on the powerplay
    Beware of Edmonton’s speed in the neutral zone”

Because this is useful information.

46. doritogrande says:

Pierre calling any line with Torres on it a “checking line” is hilarious. That’s just great commentary.

47. HBomb says:

Fuck you Pierre. Go and pleasure yourself to a Dion Phaneuf hilight reel or something. Idiot.

Columbus is a well coached hockey team, and man do they have veterans.

49. doritogrande says:

LT: It’s not the veterans I’m necessarily worried about.

Brassard and Voracek are going to rape us before the end of the night. Count on that.

50. HBomb says:

Columbus is a well coached hockey team, and man do they have veterans.

Then why do they constantly suck?

That Hejda guy though, the Oilers sure could use an effective defender like that on a dirt-cheap contract….

51. Showerhead says:

I was a fan of Peca in his year with the Oil (the whole year) and it’s nice to see his down low coverage is still there. He’ll probably still have it for a couple of years, and how well he’d fit (purely hockey-wise) on that 3rd line). That exodus sure was unfortunate, but you can hardly blame him for going to that beacon of modern day hockey excellence in Toronto now can you.

52. Alice says:

zing.

53. T. says:

heavy sarcasm day here at Lowetide I see.

54. doritogrande says:

“Right out of the first commercial, Maguire takes the first opportunity he gets to take a shot at Robert Nilsson for trying to “pick the corner”.”

It’s alright, he just fucked over Rick Nash for doing the same thing.

Maybe ‘picking the corner’ is a term of endearment.

55. T. says:

Oh Voracek – how I loved you as a Moosehead!

56. Alice says:

We’ve won 8 faceoffs, and it’s still Wednesday

57. doritogrande says:

Big hit for 24. That was phaneufian-like.

58. Bruce says:

And didn’t Hitchcock used to work at United Cycle?

Yeah, he waited on me once, years ago. I remember thinking “This guy must weigh 400 pounds” for the first 30 seconds and “This guy really knows his stuff / is a great sales person / is a real nice guy” for the next 30 minutes.
    Terrific service.

24 with a nice hit there. Roloson isn’t going to get traded playing like this, folks.

60. doritogrande says:

Yeah, that looked familiar in losing to the Flames last years.

Snipe.

61. HBomb says:

Huselius. Inbred piece of shit. With that idiot Chimera standing in front.

Geez that was a nice shot and screen.

63. Alice says:

dg: phaneufian, that’s a beaut adjective right there.
    but phaneufian-like, is that, like, phaneuf-like-like?

64. doritogrande says:

alice:

I’m naught but a humble Zoology major. I ain’t not need to word myself good.

Alice: Nice. :-)

66. Showerhead says:

Did Pierre speak the truth? Did Hitchcock really just try to dodge Sheldon Souray with his top line?

67. doritogrande says:

continuing on H-bomb’s ranting of the TSN panelists:

Fuck you Keith Jones and John Tortorella. You two are fucking dumb thinking Penner should have stayed in Anaheim. Thinking he had chemistry with Perry and Getzlaf being the reason he should have stayed is unbelievable.

I feel so bad for Bob McKenzie right now. He’s got nothing to work off of.

68. Dennis says:

Some things I noticed

- 13 gets on the PK and hits the post. Fuck, who would’ve thunk it?

- The PK sucks again

- TSN flashed a graphic with the chances at 7-2 CBJ and I”m keeping score and I had it at 9-2 at that point. So, me and this guy are close to being on the same page.

LT: Howson’s been there for two seasons so that doesn’t count and you can tell the Vorachek/Gagner story for the Second game between these two clubs.

You disrespected Raffi tonight and let’s hope Pouliot doesn’t have to pay the price for it;)

69. Jonathan says:

You guys ever wonder how Keith Jones got his job? I certainly do – he’s like a (slightly) less irritating/dumb version of Glenn Healy.

Dennis: Raffi Torres? Didn’t we trade him in the Chicago trade for Moreau? I honestly don’t remember the guy.

Has Marty York ever written about him?

71. Jonathan says:

On the other hand, the Fox feed just had the least illuminating interview with a GM I’ve ever seen/heard.

Fox Guy: “How’s your son Jeff doing in New York?”

Tambellini: “He’s doing good.”

72. Mike says:

All: Nilsson gets ragged for picking the corner but Huselius…ahem…HUSELIUS has “all-world skill?” Eat me Pierre.

T: You from Halifax? Me too.

Dorito: I had Penner in my pool the year they took home the Stanley. Trust me when I say he was not often on the same line as Perry and Getz, which is fairly important when developing chemistry. He was a HS more than once during that run.

73. Showerhead says:

While on topic, or maybe a few minutes behind it…

Bob McKenzie is perhaps my favourite TV hockey analyst. Consistently comes across as seeing the forest for the trees, as having the ability to weigh out various sides of an argument, and having a big heart. Unique combination.

74. Jonathan says:

Bob McKenzie is perhaps my favourite TV hockey analyst.

Agreed. My favorite analysis in any media – I think you can actually trace THN’s demise back to the point that he left and Brophy took over.

75. Showerhead says:

oh, and for the multitude of Czechs in the Lowetide audience, how exactly do you pronounce “Voracek”?

I’ve always put emphasis on the middle syllable but the guys on the box are definitely leaning heavy on the first.

please folks, my ability to sleep tonight is oh so dependent on this.

76. Dennis says:

I’m sure this can be found easily but what i remember about Penner in his last season as a Duck is Todd Feodruck was called Uncle Todd because he was babysitting Getzlaf/Perry, the Pahlsson line was as we know it and Penner was playing a lot on a line with Marchant.

I’m sure someone will come up with the correct figures.

LT: It’s a lack of respect and if you could tear yourself away from your Tommy Albelin biography then I think you’d realize it;)

77. doritogrande says:

“Yeah, there was another player – what was his name? – Edmonton-born guy, I think Lowe would’ve liked him – was it Zoo-something?”

You’ve got your years backwards Jonathan. Zoolander was there the year Edmonton shafted them, Pronger the year they won it all.

78. Jonathan says:

I forgot that Anaheim had a playoff run other than the one that Edmonton stopped.

79. doritogrande says:

Any early predictions for the “Monster!”

He’s somehow going to give it to CROSBY!, I just know it.

80. doritogrande says:

Erik Cole draws another penalty. He’s damn good at that.

81. doritogrande says:

There are other people on this powerplay than 44 you idiots.

I can’t fucking believe this.

82. Jonathan says:

It occurs to me that since every single TV guy figures that Souray is the biggest threat on the Oilers PP, maybe some NHL coaches do too.

Maybe.

83. doritogrande says:

Told you.

E-13.

84. Phil says:

Bad pinch.

85. HBomb says:

Fucking typical. Powerplay does nothing, Souray makes his first bad pinch in god-knows-how-long, and as predicted by someone, Voracek and Brassard connect.

Down 2-0 to an inferior fucking hockey team. MacT, whatever happened to NOT playing 44 and 71 on the same powerplay unit? Dumbass.

86. Cam says:

Pathetic coverage on that 3 on 3.

87. Jonathan says:

Don Cherry, this Saturday:

“Now kids, I want you to pay attention here. This is Bobby Nilsson, who’s a chicken Swede and a son of a chicken Swede, and he tries to block this shot with his stick, which deflects it. ‘Cause the goalie can’t see it, or stop it, if you’re gonna deflect it. Don’t do this kids! You’ll drive your coaches nuts!”

Ron MacLean: Pained expression; silence.

88. Showerhead says:

Bad pinch.

As an aside, was that Nilsson as the F back trying to cover? It’s not enough to just be in the neighbourhood. What would Michael Peca do?

89. doritogrande says:

Showerhead:

My eyes saw Cogliano.

90. doritogrande says:

Gilbert+Souray= motherfucking goal.

Get it MacT?

Goal Cogliano.

91. Jonathan says:

Gilbert did a great job gaining the zone there, and than 12-13 got control down low.

2-1, all is not lost.

92. Phil says:

What? A PP goal that didn’t come off the stick of Souray? Scandal!

93. HBomb says:

Nice feed, Nilsson to Cogliano.

That had “fuck you bald guy between the benches” written ALL over it.

94. Showerhead says:

I like the way the kids run a powerplay – they’re not nearly as static as unit 1. Gilbert too.

95. Slipper says:

This might be the wrong time to mention how good Columbus has looked so far this season at even strength.

96. Showerhead says:

and dorito: either way, we could all do to follow the path of Peca. no matter who it was, I guess they’ve got a little bit of redemption now eh?

97. CrazyCoach says:

As much as Sean Avery is an embarrassment to the game, Don Cherry is as well.

Don has to accept the fact that hockey is a global game now and that chickenshit players come from every country.

How come he never mentions Steve Ott in his telecasts? He even defended Kyle Well-fed this past Saturday giving him all sorts of excuses about past injuries. Funny how he never mentioned how Daniel Alfredsson came back from surgery in a little over a week.

What a pathetic joke. His act grew old about 1998

Dennis: When did he play? I remember Mike Torrez who was an Expos pitcher, he went to Boston and then the Yankees.

Raffi? Is that Dutch?

99. Slipper says:

If Hemsky fucked his ankle up there then we’re dead.

I mean, I know he sucks now and everything, but we will be really fricking dead if he’s hurt.

100. HBomb says:

Hemsky, legs first into the end boards.

Fuck I hope that isn’t as bad as it looked. He skated off, so I think (hope) it wasn’t.

101. Jonathan says:

5-on-3. Great.

3×5, this could be the game here.

103. HBomb says:

That is one weak-assed tripping penalty to Visnovsky.

104. Cam says:

Looks like we are back to being unable to defend the rush.

105. doritogrande says:

Here comes the TSN turning point.

106. CrazyCoach says:

Anyone streaming this game for free?

Souray is making it hard for me to think about all that money.

108. Cam says:

Remember that CHI game, this is game is eerily similar.

109. HBomb says:

Souray is an absolute one-man wrecking crew on this PK. Two beautiful break-up-and-clear plays.

110. Showerhead says:

REALLY appreciating #44 right now.

111. doritogrande says:

One down, one to go.

If Hemsky can’t go for a while, I would absolutely love to see Cole elevated to Horcoff’s wing with Penner.

112. Jonathan says:

Strudwick switches for Gilbert, but Horcoff and Souray kill the whole 5-on-3.

If there were any question who MacTavish trusts, that answers it.

I think it’s great that these two teams can play so that Pierre can talk about Rick Nash. Now, your average game you’d get insight into other things, but Rick Nash is important and so it’s very important that we hear this.

When does he pee? I hope Pierre gets that to us.

114. Showerhead says:

coach: http://linksador.net/showtime/index.php?params=game/496/Hockey-1/ is the best I’ve got for ya. TSN feed.

115. Slipper says:

I think people under-rate injuries.

116. doritogrande says:

Looks like I won’t get my wish. I can’t decide whether I’m disappointed or not though. It’s an odd feeling.

117. HBomb says:

Hemsky back. Whew.

118. Cam says:

Was that a shaft of the stick save?

Lame.

119. T. says:

Mike: Originally from NS yes. Used to watch Smytty in Cape Breton (if that dates me a bit)

Caught a couple Moosehead games while Voracek was there. He was fun to watch.

120. doritogrande says:

HAHAHAHA

LT: I was actually picturing Macguire asking Nash when he peed. Holy crap. That was eerie.

121. Phil says:

“it’s good to see Hemsky back on the ice”

debatable.

122. CrazyCoach says:

Thanks for the feed Jonathan and for your offer Showerhead!

My unit on Providing INformation services for my PR course may not get completed tonight, but I’ll know the score.

The feed is what they call the “New Media”.

Unfortunately, the new media can’t do anything about Pierre Macguire though.

123. Mike says:

Yeah Hemsky is terrible and he makes too many groin-straining moves at the O blue line and commits too mant turnovers.

THANK THE BABY JESUS HE IS BACK. ALES WE ARE SORRY.

124. Showerhead says:

jonathan for the win – very high quality video for a stream.

125. Jonathan says:

Thanks, SH. I’m now in a “catch-22″ scenario – the commentary is SO MUCH BETTER on TSN, but the picture is much clearer on the Fox stream. What should I do, people?

Probably buy cable. Yeah, I think that’s the solution.

126. Slipper says:

Damn. Now that Hemsky is back the Oilers have no chance of winning.

127. Jonathan says:

24-44 pairing. Mixed up change, or is this intentional?

128. Mike says:

T: LOL, Sydney boy…I was at center 200 many times! John LeBlanc, Ralph Intranuvo (sp?), Kim Issel, Warren Skordenski, Bill MacDougall…good times! Saw Grant Fuhr play 2 games.

129. Phil says:

Well done, Hemmer.

130. doritogrande says:

Jonathan:

You should go find the bottle, is what you should do. I’m treating myself to a fancy wobbly-pop tonight.

131. Showerhead says:

jonathan – lol @ having the same exact dilemma. I say spend the cable budget on beer and drink them until the TSN feed looks clear.

132. Jonathan says:

Roli’s whining at the refs. Proof positive he’ll be the starter the rest of the way.

Any idea if Garon’s injured, btw?

133. Phil says:

My mistake. Good penalty Hemmer.

When the PK is going well I never worry about things, but when it isn’t it hurts.

Then again, Fernando.

Pierre said cocky. Tee hee.

135. doritogrande says:

SHORTIE!

Time for the Columbus kid to get bum-raped.

Gift goal for Moreau, great play Pisani.

136. Mike says:

HA HA HA! PISANI TO MOREAU!

137. Showerhead says:

SAN FERNANDO!! great forcheck!

138. Cam says:

Interesting.

139. CrazyCoach says:

Can you hear the drums Fernando……

140. HBomb says:

Moreau. Short-handed.

Whoever knocked him out and told him when he came to that it’s March 2004 and he’s in his “Mark Messier impersonator” phase, do NOT do anything to let him know otherwise.

141. Coach pb9617 says:

The power play goal should be instructive in that it should show the Oilers that NOT EVERY GODDAMNED POWER PLAY HAS TO SCORE FROM THE POINT!

142. Cam says:

These FSN Ohio guys are jackasses. That apparently was a “cross-check” from 34 just before 18′s goal.

I’m surprised the Oilers are tied. Seriously, Columbus is an improving team, you can see what Hitchcock is doing. Add that to all the penalties and this could be 4-1.

144. Mike says:

Drinking all this homemade wine is going to cost me tomorrow. Stupid.

145. Phil says:

How’s those gloves smell Modin?

146. Jonathan says:

Alternatively, I could drink until the Fox guy sounds like Cuthbert.

Or McGuire sounds sensible. I’m not sure which will take more beer.

147. Mike says:

I must be drunk, I thought I just heard we are 21-35 on faceoffs.

148. HBomb says:

Modin better be careful, otherwise Roloson’s going to give him the Rick Nash special.

Or Souray will throw down and beat the living piss out of him. Either way, pain.

Oilers 21W-14L on the faceoffs tonight. Nice.

149. doritogrande says:

This must be the Sheldon Souray that Kevin Lowe paid for. To my eye, he’s playing like a Norris Candidate, and that’s not something I thought I’d be able to ever say.

I’m at a point in my life when drinking during the week becomes a very dangerous idea.

I mean, I still do it, but it’s dangerous.

151. Jonathan says:

Souray looks really, really good. Then again, so does Moreau.

I think 44′s run may be sustainable though. If I ever meet Huddy, I’ll buy him a drink.

152. Phil says:

you called it hbomb!

153. doritogrande says:

Add to the previous list. Fuck you Freddie Modin.

Macguire with a novel suggestion. MacIntyre please.

154. Mike says:

Just try not to think about it LT.

Staios, kill that fucker.

155. CrazyCoach says:

I think that play was too familiar to game 1 of the 06 SCF for Roli.

156. Jonathan says:

Vintage Roli! The Columbus guys want him called for cross-checking.

I’ve missed 35.

157. Coach pb9617 says:

Crazy Dwaynie is in effect.

158. HBomb says:

Frederik Modin is asking for it.

159. Jonathan says:

Five bucks says that the Moreau goal is TSN’s turning point.

160. doritogrande says:

Hey I’ve got an idea.

Moreau-Brodziak-MacIntyre
    Strudwick-Souray.

161. doritogrande says:

Now I’ve never thought of Mike Commodore as a pretty man in any sense, but that’s a caveman ugly man with that shiner he’s sporting.

162. Showerhead says:

Jonathan: …and you wouldn’t be a good student if you didn’t attempt each. And drink way too many of those beer in the process.

Lowetide: there was a time in my life, pretty much up until this year when I started working nights at a bar, that Wednesday and Thursday were just about the ONLY nights I went out drinking. My class schedule definitely deferred to the campus bar’s, that is for sure.

163. HBomb says:

Moreau-Brodziak-MacIntyre
    Strudwick-Souray

What the fuck is Brodziak going to do? Square off with Steve Mason while Roloson beats the living piss out of Modin himself?

164. Cam says:

1st Period
    Edmonton slashing – 2 min 13:34, K. Brodziak
    Edmonton interference – 2 min 18:00, A. Hemsky
    2nd Period
    Columbus hooking – 2 min 0:21, M. Commodore
    Columbus slashing – 2 min 4:17, J. Chimera
    Edmonton hooking – 2 min 8:19, S. Staios
    Edmonton tripping – 2 min 8:46, L. Visnovsky
    Edmonton hooking – 2 min 15:41, A. Hemsky

^<—–

Not going to garner a lot of wins.

165. doritogrande says:

H-bomb:

It’s merely out of necessity. Horc is out, so is Cogliano, Pisani and Pouliot.

Where’s Zach Stortini when we need him? Christ, I’m starting to mis ol’ sasquatch.

166. Showerhead says:

will any of the commentators a) recognize Gagner is better today than he was last year or b) mention luck in any way?

place your bets.

167. doritogrande says:

Didn’t expect it to come from Tortorella, that’s for sure.

168. Showerhead says:

I liked Tortorella’s +/- answer – he wasn’t exactly precise with his words but it sounded to me like he was aiming towards context as part of his argument.

Speaking of, what was that penalty situation they were going on about? I missed it but it sounded like something that he/they didn’t know about?

169. Showerhead says:

oh and dorito: the Bombers made the semis? when the fuck did that happen?

170. Dennis says:

If we’re going to keep getting that Kids vs Kids matchup then our youngsters are going to have to do better.

There was an interesting play where out of the ~14 min TO our kid line found itself out for an own zone draw out of the TO. Not sure if it was an icing which meant MacT Had to keep them out there. Anyway, 89 wins the drop and we get the puck behind the net and with time to change and MacT Still keeps this on. This is the shift that lead to Souray shooting 50 feet wide of an EN after the BJ”s had roared down 4-on-2.

MacT is asking for it with these decisions AND he’s trying to develop while winning.

171. Slipper says:

If you were given the choice between a 4 minute 5v4 PK or a 2 minute 5v3 PK…

Which would you take?

172. Slipper says:

Who the hell is Jan Hejda and why is Hitch trying to see that he’s out there against Hemsky?

173. T. says:

Monster = Souray

Book it.

174. CrazyCoach says:

Slipper I’d take the 4 minute 5 on 4. You are able to keep your bench involved a little more and keep players from getting cold sitting on the bench.

175. doritogrande says:

Snipe.

Hemsky should shoot more.

176. Slipper says:

I knew Hemsky would fuck us.

In the GOOOOOOOD way.

177. doritogrande says:

Showerhead:

How long have you been in that drinking binge? We’be been playoff bound for three weeks. Thank Tarana.

178. CrazyCoach says:

OOps, thats if I was killing off the 5 on 4

179. Slipper says:

World class level, eh Pierre?

Can get back to talking about Rick Nash, already!?!?

180. HBomb says:

Holy fuck. What a shot.

Hemsky fucking looked off the pass like an NFL QB there. We need more of that.

181. goldenchild says:

Good lord.

182. doritogrande says:

Now THERE’S the right time for Brodziak to hit the scoresheet.

Beauty snipe.

183. speeds says:

What a play by Pouliot!

184. goldenchild says:

great pass 78

185. doritogrande says:

Anyone think Gilbert wants some more ice-time?

Also of note: Two games without Grebeshkov, 5 points. Coincidence?

186. Slipper says:

Oh snap, Brodziak!

Crazycoach: I think that’s the sane choice. The data in Showerhead’s link shows that you’re about three times as likely to score on a 5v3.

187. amw says:

Did I hear McGuire right? about half way thru the 2nd, he is interviewing Rick Nash. His last question (paraphrased): “So Rick, wouldn’t it be great if you had Ryan Getzlaf as a centre, you know, to get you out of this slump?”.

Uh, Pierre, first of all why would this be relevant in any way? Second, I’m pretty sure the guy sitting next to Nash, and within earshot, is his CURRENT centre… possibly the WORST EVER question I’ve heard.

188. Schitzo says:

Anyone notice Smid missing?

189. doritogrande says:

Where the fuck is Steve MacIntyre now?!

We know Mason is coming off injury…HIT HIM!

190. Showerhead says:

Oh good god. I was going to say something re: my CFL ignorance but that just sucked.

191. HBomb says:

Two absolute fucking GARBAGE goals, and it’s tied.

Columbus sucks. They have no business being tied right now.

192. Slipper says:

Holy Fuck.

Well… we hadn’t really deserved to be ahead.

193. goldenchild says:

what a clusterfuck

Oilers need a field goal here.

195. Cam says:

CBJ just got a number of fortunate bounces, tie game.

196. B.C.B. says:

what the fuck is going on?
    -they start ti kill us
    – schitzo right: Smid’s been benched? or hurt?
    – I want SMac

197. HBomb says:

Well… we hadn’t really deserved to be ahead

Touche.

Nash and MacIntyre, coincidential minors. I’ll take THAT trade-off.

198. B.C.B. says:

why did Smac take a minor? can’t he get Boll to go?

199. doritogrande says:

Raffi Torres has a point.

He will now score the winning goal and complete the screwing of his old team.

Newer Comments »