Oilers at Blue Jackets, G19/08-09

Before Ken Hitchcock arrived in Columbus, the Blue Jackets didn’t have a personality. Teams are like that until a strong leader (or talent) joins the crew and the team starts doing spectacular things.

The Buffalo Sabres had a personality the moment Gilbert Perreault swooped behind the net to grab the puck and dash up the ice, whereas the Vancouver Canucks (who came into existence the same day as the Sabres) wouldn’t really have a personality until 12 long years later (courtesy Roger Neilson).

The Jackets are a team on the rise and have spent much of their money wisely in recent years. It’ll be on display tonight as the Edmonton Oilers and their mountain of good copy fly into Ohio.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have a personality. Finally.

The Edmonton Oilers have an injury that will impact their depth up front. Despite having a pedestrian start to the season and despite playing out of position for much of it, Fernando Pisani is a useful NHL player and the Oilers will miss him.

Going into tonight the Blue Jackets are ahead of Edmonton by 1 point (both clubs have played 18 games) and there are rumors of a shakeup in Columbus if things don’t go well over the next few days. The situation with the Oilers is so public that I’m not going to bother repeating all of it.

Suffice to say that the Oilers need to win this hockey game tonight.

316 Responses to "Oilers at Blue Jackets, G19/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. PDO says:

Would it kill us to stay out of the box?

2. PDO says:

Also…

I love 78 on the PK.

51?

Not so much.

3. Kyle says:

Remember Brewer

Despite what many people think Brewer played his best hockey with Canada and besides the Jrs. I think Canada won every time Brewer played for them – many of the times he played a very key role.

4. Bruce says:

I think that 78 is like a banjo hitter with a good OBP in the NL who’s hitting 8th.

Great analogy, Dennis. Put him in the 2 hole and there’s things he can do to hurt you … bunt, hit behind the runner, work the pitcher for a base on balls or even a wild pitch, stay out of the double play.

Why is it when the Oiler get the lead they get ALL the fucking penalties?

5. Scott says:

Kyle,

I think that Brew was chosen more because of his location than merit regardless of results, though I am surprised to hear his results were so good. I don’t really remember him on the teams a whole lot, just as an Oiler, and those memories don’t leave me with the impression that he was ever elite.

Also, hooray for Nash going to the box!

6. Coach pb9617 says:

On the first PK Reddox showed everyone how a clear works. Nice job.

Then Cogs tries to skate it out and turns it over. Watch Powder – he’ll show you.

7. Bruce says:

Oops, scratch that … MOST of the penalties.

PDO: That pass back from Brodziak on the good side of centre all the way to Strudwick deep in his own zone was a little much. 43 complicated things by coughing it up, and the pressure’s right back on. Confidence is one thing, but there’s no reason to be dumb about it.

8. Bruce says:

And I was just going to say how this is the best Gilbert has looked all season.

There’s Penner causing havoc in the crease again. Give that man an assist.

9. Scott says:

That useless bum Penner doesn’t have any points tonight.

10. mc79hockey says:

I would have gone bananas if that goal had counted against the Oilers. Jesus Murphy, there’s no way that wasn’t interference.

11. Kyle says:

Kyle,

Also, hooray for Nash going to the box!

I think in the case of 02 that’s certainly true, although I think his performance during the occasion is what kept him coming back.

12. RiversQ says:

Powder will clear the zone and then bend a spoon with his mind.

13. Bruce says:

Case in point as to why it’s senseless to compare Hemsky and Penner’s scoring stats on the PP. Both have done their jobs to perfection on the two PPs; 83 has two points and 27 none.

14. Kyle says:

Smytty had the same problem, but that’s why PPPTSON/60 is a beauty stat.

15. Scott says:

I’ll call 4-2 Oilers with two goals on the PP and of course CBJ picks up a PP as well.

I see you’ve traded in scoring chance counting for an urim and thummim

16. Slipper says:

Mac Genius!

Extension time!

17. Bruce says:

Scott: you mean PPG ON/60? Penner;s got good numbers in that category.

And now a GOAL. Way to go Dustin. Shove it up MacT’s ass, just like he wants you to.

18. goldenchild says:

Fire MacT, oh wait wrong boards

19. Coach pb9617 says:

What in the world was Staios doing on that goal by Nash?

Also, Captain Speirs is running the show tonight.

Reddox is just a nice player.

20. RiversQ says:

Senseless to compare Hemsky and Penner’s PP scoring stats?

Come on.

All due respect to Penner but Hemsky is a top ten PP player in this league without a doubt. He makes this PP click and he has ever since the lockout and including when Pronger was here.

21. Daniel says:

Outstanding Private Lawrence, I think we finally found something you do well.

22. RiversQ says:

Case in point. Great rip by Horc too.

23. Slipper says:

Ohohohooooh!

I thought he was gonna shoot that.

I thought he was gonna shoot that!

I totally thought he was gonna shoot that!

24. Coach pb9617 says:

Powder will clear the zone and then bend a spoon with his mind.

They need to keep the team jet out of electrical storms.

25. Coach pb9617 says:

Speirs was just a beast on that power play. Lordy.

Also, if this is a permanent change for 37-71 and 44-77, I like it.

26. PDO says:

Some smart guy said earlier in this thread that Horcoff would get off the schnide tonight, even though he can’t spell it ;).

Best game Penner has ever played as an Oiler in my estimation… he was unreal in front of the net on Horcoff’s goal.

27. goldenchild says:

Gilbert seems to be a good idea with 83 and 44 no?

28. Kris says:

Now that Penner has responded, do we say that MacT did a good job motivating Penner or that MacT was wrongly picking on a player who was ready to break out?

I’m going to say the former and that MacT may have earned himself a few more games as coach.

29. Scott says:

Sort of strange. Team really outplays the Avs on Saturday and it’s a heartwrenching loss. Then tonight they’re outchanced through the first two periods, take a seriosuly large number of penalties and it’s a laugher for the good guys. Everybody walks home happy.

Also, Hitch must be pissed with Leclaire to leave him in there after seven.

30. danny says:

How did Penner not draw a penalty during that 5×4 ? geez, lifes tough when you’re that big.

I could kinda understand a few things MacT has done in the recent stretch of head scratchers, but if Penner isn’t slotted into the powerplay next game, then I’d have to reconsider being a MacT-guy.

31. Bruce says:

Senseless to compare Hemsky and Penner’s PP scoring stats?
    Come on.

Senseless. Two different roles. Penner has done the job on all three (near-) PP goals tonight without a sniff on the sheet. But surely you can’t deny he’s been a major force. Hemsky meanwhile has also done the job with the man advantage, and now has three points. Do you think 3-0 is a fair distribution of their respective contributions?

A touchdown. God loves Craig MacTavish.

33. Bruce says:

Well, Roli made a liar out of me. Job well done, and quickly too. Off to my 7:30 meeting I go.

:D

34. goldenchild says:

Props to Roli today, he will prob get lost in the 7 goals tomorrow morning but he was still the biggest reason for the 2 pts.

35. RiversQ says:

Sure and I was posting PPGF/hr for the Oilers long before Desjardins got popular around these parts. I’m well aware of the value, but points matter. A lot.

However when push comes to shove someone has to make a play out there and Hemsky is THE Oiler that does that.

RQ: Agreed on Hemsky and I remember you math from way back when too.

37. Kyle says:

Scott: you mean PPG ON/60? Penner;s got good numbers in that category.

Exactly what I meant. I wasn’t trying to imply he wasn’t good, just that we have a good measuring stick to determine whether he was or not other than counting numbers.

I always felt Smyth was undervalued because the Oilers scored a lot of goals due to his presence in front of the net without him ever getting any kind of counting number.

38. Kyle says:

No doubt you are a smarter man than I.

39. gary says:

craziness.

is there a stat for a team that doesn’t play well for 60 minutes but plays REALLY REALLY well for the portion of the game it plays really well in?

this team is like… concentrated laundry detergent. or orange juice.

40. Doogie2K says:

So, funny story. I turn on my PVR right at 5, see the TSN intro start up. My PVR info was borked, so I assumed it was the Oilers game, hit Record, and went to shave so I’d have a bit of game banked up, to skip the commericals. Come back…it’s Montreal-Carolina. Now this isn’t inherently bad, in my view, so I go ahead and watch, figuring Montreal will be good and Edmonton will be bad.

Oops.

After a horrible first period, I consider switching over, but it’s 2-0 Oilers, and I don’t want to jinx it. I watch another bad period: the Habs go up 1-0 but still don’t play very inspired hockey. I see it’s 3-1 Oilers, and don’t want to mess with it. After eight minutes of the third, and two straight ‘Canes goals, I give up, and switch channels.

Goal.

Okay…switch back a couple of minutes later after the Jackets goal, Habs are still playing like dogs. Flick…goal. Flick back during commercials, flick ba–goal.

I left it alone after that.

41. striatic says:

Goals: 7-2 for the Oil
    Shots: 39-19 for the Bluejackets

Impressive game for Roloson. Agreed that he’s the primary reason for the 2 points, but great to finally see some scoring.

Question: Hard to tell by just listening to the radio, which is all I have here stateside, but was this more of an Oilers win or a Bluejackets collapse?

42. boopronger says:

Dont wont to sound too negative after a 7-2 win but once again the Oilers were badly outshot. 39-19 were the shots and you have to think at some point its gonna catch up to you.

Isnt this the first game that they’ve won by more then 2 goals?

43. striatic says:

“So you can thank me for not jinxing this long enough for victory to be assured. ;)”

sure, but you jinxed the Habs in the process! boo!

44. Slipper says:

I only caught that last period, but damn, that was awesome.

That last Horcoff goal was like having a quadruple shot of espresso fired right into the bloodstream.

45. Coach pb9617 says:

Seek help for your neuroses.

For the 2002 Olympics, I believe there was a summer training camp, if I remember correctly, where a whole bunch of players were invited. Brewer got picked to go to that camp as one of the young future guys (probablly because of Lowe) but he had a monster camp, playing with Pronger, and then had a really good start to the season, which is how he ended up on the Olympic squad as a 7th defenseman. He was then arguably Canada’s best defenseman in the World Cup a couple of years later, which was the best hockey he has ever played. He relegated Redden to the PB.

47. Coach pb9617 says:

Shots: 39-19 for the Bluejackets

And worse on shots attempted.

48. pboy says:

Columbus carried the play for large portions of the game but the Oilers kept finding the back of the net on every second shot.

I liked the way Gilbert played with Souray on the PP and on 5 x 5. That was also one of the more controlled games I’ve seen Grebs play this year. Penner responded well to his DNP x 2, it was nice to see a good effort out of him. It was also nice to see him get some consistent PP time.

49. pboy says:

Are you there, God? It’s me, Marc Pouliot;)

Line of the night Dennis. I actually laughed out loud, not just the gay computer shorthand lol.

50. robert cleave says:

Two things I noticed about Penner’s post-game interview with Principe, one very interesting, and one funny.

First, when Principe was asking if he and MacTavish had patched things up this morning, he used the phrase “business relationship” when he was describing their conversation. No “rah rah go team” stuff at all.

The funny? When Principe wrapped the interview a segue/throw to the Calgary broadcast, saying there was a game with another Alberta team coming up, Penner, total deadpan, says, “I’m not staying for that one”, and walks into the dressing room. Principe wasn’t quite sure what to make of it.

51. pboy says:

It wasn’t quite the same watching the CBJ’s play tonight without Pierre Maguire have a monster man-gasm over Nash all night…..

52. Schitzo says:

I’m only going to say one thing. If Cole ends up on the first unit PP on Thursday, I will kill MacT’s dog.

Swear to fucking god, I will do it.

53. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m telling you:

Ronald Speirs The stone-faced Captain. The unchanging look in the scene at 1:30.

It’s Penner’s face.

54. Dennis says:

What a night for Fat Holmstrom! There was at least one PP in particular where he parked his Pat Laforge in front of Leclaire and he absolutely wouldn’t budge. You could see him settling himself with what actually looked like intensity!!!;)

I’m not sure if Penner has the stomach for that duty every night, we can guess from MacT’s comments that he certainly has the gut;), but we saw what a threat he could be when he puts his mind to it. And for one night at least MacT’s refusal to spare the rod looked positively divine:)

I’d run him with 10-83 and show him that it’s all pepsi under the bridge as long as he keeps working hard. Nice to see the Kids back together in the late going and creating, although at that point it’s like scoring a run in the top of the 9th against the last pitcher out of the pen, because hopefully MAcT will go back to putting them together and sheltering them and then we can run Horpensky and 18-78-26 against toughs and let the young fellas deal with the soft.

Then again the only times Cole’s looked offensively dangerous is when he was playing with 10-83 early on and lately with 13-85 though if you remember he played with 18-78 to start the game in Van and they created a couple of chances before 26 got thrown out for not tying down his jersey. It’s a testament to his lack of effectiveness that I didn’t even blink when he went down with that injury.

And I guess tonight’s win makes up outchancing Col and losing on Sat night. When you think about it being 2-2 on the PP is pretty good:) and you’ll always have a chance with an excellent PP. In fact if 37 shoots the puck one inch higher on Budji early in the 3rd on the PP on Sat night then it’s 3-1 and the Avs most likely lay down.

We should see 27 on that first unit come Thurs night and we should see more PP shifts like the ones we did tonight considering the talent that we can ice.

I’m still not sold on the team but if Roli really went tonight because Garon was sick and if MacT’s going to go back to sheltering the kids then at least I’m back to believing he’s doing his best to help us win.

55. rickibear says:

“I’m skeptical that Penner can provide that night in and night out, but for one night in Ohio he played inspired.”

Yeah because he din’t provide that last year (13PPG 3:53 PP TOI/GM) or the year before (9PPG 2:55 PP TOI/GM).

I will take his 19EV G/YR pace and the potential for 11PP g the rest of the year. Thats a nice little total.

56. rickibear says:

Hec we can replace penner with Linus Omark: 10g 10A 22GM SEL.

57. PDO says:

Just wanted to add… excluding empty netters, this is the first game all season the Oilers have won by more than a goal.

Seriously.

58. Scott says:

Isnt this the first game that they’ve won by more then 2 goals?

Not including EN goals, this is the first time that they’ve won by more than one goal.

59. docweb says:

My biggest chuckle all night…

Debrusk when the Oilers go up 6-2 “Kinda seals the deal for the Oilers….I think”

Wonder if he has been watching the Oilers more than we thought the last few years!

60. CrazyCoach says:

Damnit, the night I have to study NHL media guides for a class while at a library with no net access, they score 7.

Guess its a question of where this team is going now.

Glad to hear Pierre macguire wasn’t there having a man-crush on Nash to.

61. Bank Shot says:

About the only difference between Cole and Glencross that I’ve seen is $3 million dollars.

62. Bruce says:

//Do you think 3-0 is a fair distribution of their respective contributions?
    That’s why I too like PP ON/60. It doesn’t tell the whole story either, but it credits the entire group for a job well done.//

Rivers: So I’m citing your own statistic (TM) and still you’re arguing with me.

I’m well aware of the value, but points matter. A lot.

I don’t disagree that Hemsky is the man we want with the puck. I’m just saying Penner is the man we want withOUT the puck. If he wasn’t causing a disturbance in front tonight all those nice plays are a lot less likely to result in said puck going in the net. Penner’s reward for all those battles doesn’t show up in points, but his PPG ON/60 rate just took another big bump (into double digits!)

Case in point. Great rip by Horc too.

Yes, and yes. But that play doesn’t happen if Penner doesn’t outwork two defenders in front, cause one of them to break his stick, make a terrific play on his knees to control a rebound and retain possession for the Oil, and then go back to blocking Leclaire’s sightlines while Hemmer and Horc play catch with the puck. It was a great play by all three guys.

63. Henry says:

Best game for Penner as an Oiler! Scores once, Leclaire smelling his pants on three others. Very nice corner work with the stick at times and embarrassed two D on a solo rush. I don’t like the motivation by public humiliation approach, but it worked here even if the motivation was via hatred-of-coach. Keep Penner with 10 and 83 please! Maybe he’ll be motivated by success! 18 is a fine player, but doesn’t help Hemmer’s game.

This is not the time to fire MacT. I find the line combos haphazard sometimes, but the record is pretty ok considering what management (3 goalies, lots of kids) and the league (6 weeks living from a suitcase) has thrown at this team. Bottom line. They are way worse than Detroit and way better than CBJ. If they have their annual Christmastime losing streak at home, pull the trigger. I think this group might gel into a force about then this year tho.

64. Coach pb9617 says:

18 is a fine player, but doesn’t help Hemmer’s game.

18 has fallen on a rough patch.

65. doritogrande says:

Worked late, but taped the game. All that can be said is…

WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!

Best game of the season. We’ve been dumping on MacT something fierce here in the past couple days, but I guess there really was method to his madness. Some thoughts:

- Dustin Penner.
    - The powerplay tonight was magic, thanks in large part to Dustin Penner.
    - The kids got back on track tonight with Cogliano contributing at key points in the game. Gagner jumped in on that dog-pile too and hopefully can continue.
    - The Reddox-Cogliano-Cole line was great fun to watch.
    - Dwayne Roloson played tonight like it was April 06. Faced a ton of rubber though for the second time in as many nights.
    - Souray found lanes, and wasn’t hitting shin pads, especially not those of Dustin Penner on the Powerplay.
    - This must be the Lubo Visnovsky that was foretold of. Such poise with the puck, and no longer shows any of the dreaded ‘chaos’ signs.
    -Dustin Penner.

66. raventalon40 says:

Dorito I had to miss the game too, I may need to watch the game too haha. Did you record via VHS or by another format?

67. dawgbone says:

Some interesting games tonight:

Columbus 39 SOG (2 goals)
    Carolina 48 SOG (2 goals)
    Tampa Bay 52 SOG (3 goals)
    Florida 36 SOG (3 goals)
    Galgary 51 SOG (4 goals, 1 EN)
    Phoenix 38 SOG (2 goals)
    Chicago 40 SOG (2 goals)
    Edmonton 19 SOG (7 goals)

68. Bruce says:

Dawgbone: I’ll say that’s interesting. Kinda turns the conventional wisdom on its head, at least for one night.

Oilers may have got badly outshot (39-19 on goal, 70-38 attempted) but they absolutely deserved to win because they executed and buried their chances. Four of their goals — Souray, Cogliano, Pouliot and Horcoff — were bang-bang plays, good passes on the goal scorer’s stick and quickly off, leaving Leclaire little chance (even if Souray’s “bang” was of the 60-foot variety, it was a laser).

When this team plays well, both their feet and the puck move quickly. Nice to see some of that offensive potential become kinetic for once.

69. doritogrande says:

raventalon:

Unfortunately it was a PVR recording, which I have since deleted.

70. Dennis says:

Looking at the shot differential and the score you would’ve known that the swinger was the PP.

I know Marchant scored an overtime breakaway goal to beat Dal during the 9 game winning streak of ’01 and I only mention that because that was the first time we’d beaten them in regulation during the season since ’96, I believe. I know every time we’d play them you’d get the graphic about the last time the Oilers beat the Stars in Dal was one of CuJo’s first starts and I think the next time we beat them in Dal was down the ’04 stretch with Tugnutt in their net.

Anyway, to get back on point, during all that time the Oilers could outchance Dal during the games at Northlands but the difference was the Stars going 2/3 or 2/4 on the PP and that’s what it felt like last night when the Oilers made it 4-1 by going 2 for their first 2 on the PP. It was the case where an exemplary performance by the ST made the difference and we know there hasn’t been enough of those nights.

Of course the maddening thing is we have all the ingredients for a great PP but it never comes together. It looks so easy when MacT puts 27 out there and Fat Holmstrom wants to fight for space or when Hemsky waits that extra second to open the option for Souray or when Souray actually does something other than pound it into people’s shinpads.

And the the other side of the coin is another game allowing a goal on the PK and giving up tonnes of chances to boot. I really don’t think there’s any fixing the Oilers PK, they went with my suggestion last night of using six forwards and in some cases they even went with seven forwards per kil, the chances still came in bunches. And Pisani was doing just about the best job by forward so his loss is going to make it hurt even more.

71. Doogie2K says:

sure, but you jinxed the Habs in the process! boo!

Yes, but this is an Oilers blog, so you’ve go to play to the crowd. I plan to apologize on FHF at some point later today. ;)

Seek help for your neuroses.

It was a joke, for Christ’s sake. I knew someone would get their panties in a knot over it anyway, but I wasn’t expecting you.

72. Bank Shot says:

13th in the league now. It basically went 3 for 3 last night as one of their goals was scored a few seconds after Columbus exited the box. Had that one been scored just a couple of seconds earlier then the Oilers would be 7th in the league in PP percentage.

A couple of extra PP goals would put the Oilers 5th overall in PP percentage, but I doubt it gains them any points in the standings given how badly outplayed they have been in most of their losses.

The powerplay is just fine.

The Oilers need to improve on the PK, faceoffs, and 5 on 5 scoring to make gains in the standings.

Probably 5 on 5 defence as well. Their goals surrendered 5 on 5 looks decent, but I suspect that’s only because their goaltending has been a cut above most other teams.

73. Rod says:

Not the most pertinent questions in the world after a 7-2 win…but if Garon was sick/hurt, why was he the backup last night? Is JDD sick/hurt too? Or does Peters believe JDD is less “ready to play”, er…less ready to sit on the bench than a sick/hurt Garon?

74. Scott says:

Did somebody just say VHS recording?
    I’m too young for this site…

75. Scott says:

rod,

If you remember, Garon was on the bench for many games down the stretch last season, when we know he had an ankle injury. He was still practicing, but he wasn’t nearly 100%.

I suspect this is another injury or illness or that severity, and MacT just wants to keep him as part of the team.

76. Slipper says:

77. Rod says:

Scott:
    Well, last year we didn’t have the three goalie monster. If Garon is injured or sick–which is the only excuse for not playing him in such a long time–JDD is available this time around.

So again, why have Garon on the bench if he’s hurt or sick? Does Peters believe JDD is less ready to open the gate on the bench than a sick/hurt Garon?

Answer to that seems obvious: Garon is healthy. So why hasn’t he played in such a loooong time?

78. goldenchild says:

Something that jumped out at me today, Ales Hemsky 14 Road Games Played. 17 Points.

79. Dennis says:

GC: Yes, he’s doing it despite the fact that some coaches will match against him on the road. But things won’t get easier for him because I imagine that given the way we’re currently rolling lines-wise, 10-83 will go PVP once the Oilers get that big spate of home games. There’s really no one else we can trust to take on a top line and tomorrow night vs det’s gonna be ‘fun’ because they have Zberg and Datsyuk on two different lines so someone’s gonna have a hard home assignment tomorrow night that they’re not really ready for. It would be nice if the PP helped us out because I can’t imagine us NOT being outchanced at EV.

Speaking of that, here’s a segue for you:): There’s enough talent on the PP unit that it HAS to be top 10 and anything else and I’ll keep kicking at it.

Scott: I’m still working the VCR and all my buddies like to poke fun at it. I’m sort of a cheap bastard and the price of PVR’s are low enough yet for me to buy one.

80. Kris says:

“I don’t believe Garon has been injured or ill. If he was I think he would have mentioned it in one of the dailies.”

Hmmm…, I’m not so sure about this. Of course, what you’re saying would be true anywhere else: just not Edmonton.

81. Bruce says:

Dennis: There’s enough talent on the PP unit that it HAS to be top 10 and anything else and I’ll keep kicking at it.

Bruce: As for the PP, I will keep harping on it cuz I just don’t think I’m wrong on this one. … we have enough proven talent that that unit should be upper third of the league.

Dennis: I think we are in 100% agreement for a change. :) You got to be better than middle of the pack in some facet of the game, and looking at the Oilers roster the PP seems the most logical group to be a strength. That PP has to be above mediocre and help us WIN games, as it certainly did last night.

82. Coach pb9617 says:

- Souray found lanes, and wasn’t hitting shin pads,

Mostly because it was Hemsky finding him, rather than him trying to find a shot.

83. Coach pb9617 says:

Oiler’s team shooting percentage goes from 8.4% to 9.4% with last night’s game.

84. goldenchild says:

Dennis agreed he will be needed in those tough matchups even at home so it won’t get easier from that point of view but so far the results have been very good despite the fact that he hasn’t had linemates that are going well and the PP has been below avg.
    I agree with you it should be top 10 hopefully yesterdays move of 27 in front and 77-44 and 37-71 isn’t temporary if it is I may go back to the Sugar Tits Army on HF and join lynch mob. if the PP gets to the level it should Hemmers PP numbers should be able to cover what he loses 5on5 playing PVP.

taking into account the schedule and the quality of play around him the PPG start after 20, I think is even more impressive than it seems.

The problem is the 2nd group of tough minutes you mention, if MacT doesn’t trust Poo in that role then we really have nobody else that you should use there, he may go with 13-26 and whoever but I don’t think thats a role anybody thinks 13 is ready for.

85. Coach pb9617 says:

Even though Powder had an amazing game last night, there’s no way that 85 is ready for that role on the LW. 13-26 has to find a new LW and I don’t know that 18 is the man – he’s been struggling for a bit now.

86. goldenchild says:

Coach if we have to shelter 18 too we’re fucked haha.

87. Scott says:

Okay, I’m out of the loop on this one. What is the ‘Powder’ story?

Dennis: I’m totally with you and I still believe we will finish in the top 10 PP. The problem is that I went in to the year also counting on a top 10 (or at least 15) PK to go with.

88. Dennis says:

Scott: I also believed our PK would be money but it appears that the losses of 16 and 19 have been too tough to handle and now we’re missing 34 to boot so I think it’s gonna be bad for a long time unless Garon comes back and starts putting up those good PK SVPCT numbers.

Speaking of Garon, interesting quotes today from him which indicate he’s not hurting and that’s not the reason why MacT quit on him so early. Maybe this is just a case of MacT not liking the guy and that doesn’t bode well for any of us and it doesn’t give me the feeling of trust in MacT; though to be honest he’d never had much of a clue or inkling how to run his tenders.

Speaking of macT, I can’t wait to see how he constructs his lines and gameplan to attack a team with two super lines like the Wings tomorrow night. I mentioned before that I’m floored by our good road record because we’re really at the mercy of home teams with more than one good line. Now maybe that would’ve been a bit different if we kept the kids together and constructed two PVP lines but those options are even fewer now with 34 out. Which means there’s more pressure now than ever on the PP to get us over the hump.

As an aside, considering how well 78 played last night and how he’s been creating chances lately, it would be stupid not to have him on one of the two tough min line and/or in the top 9 tomorrow night.

Let’s see how that goes at the start and then check the EV TOI’s at night’s end. With a day off today and then a five day break afterwards it would make sense to limit the icetime of the 4th line and just roll three lines hard unless we fall into trouble with TOI allocation due to an high number of ST instances.

78 should be playing ahead of 46, 51 and 85 and 28 shouldn’t be playing at all. In any case I’d bring 46 back in for 28 and put together a 85-51-46 line and play them very sparingly.

89. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach if we have to shelter 18 too we’re fucked haha.

I don’t know about sheltering him, but he hasn’t looked good at all lately. Much of it seems like mental breakdowns, so they are easy to fix, but they are not what you want out there as your second option right now.

90. Psyche says:

Gilbert impressed tonight, relative to his unimpressive previous performances. In my opinion he could easily have been sharing a warm seat with Penner in the press box.

91. Norman Mendoza says:

Dennis,

That’s about the best scenario at this point. Maybe Moreau is a little nicked up or has the flu or something. Maybe 78 catches the Carbonneau comp. We can hope.

ESTOI order
    27-10-83 — mmm Datsyuk line
    18-78-26 — zBerg line
    12-13-89
    85-51-46

PKTOI order (using last night’s pairs)
    10-78
    18-51
    85-??

PPTOI
    10 line
    12 line

92. Rod says:

Dennis said:

Thanks for the info Dennis. Unfortunately, that’s just as I suspected. There’s no way Garon’s on the bench last night if injured or sick.

Only remaining excuse is that they’re trying to showcase Roli. Don’t ask me how this level in inactivity helps Garon long term though.

Which means it’s inexcusable that Garon hasn’t seen action since his last start, and only two games since Oct. 26. Like you said, MacT and ‘tenders never have been a good mix.

93. Black Dog says:

psyche – Gilbert had a slow start but once Grebs got hurt he seemed to settle in and he’s been fine the last couple of weeks imo. I think he may have been feeling the contract pressure and maybe his confidence suffered a little early.

I think he’s really been terrific lately – that three assist game seemed to get him going even though two of them were “give it to Hemsky and let him go” assists.

scott – Riversq referred to Reddox as Powder during his first game up and its sticking – he’s referring to a 90s movie

94. Asiaoil says:

Yes MacT has never been great at managing the tenders….and word today that he actually listens to Peeters is no reason for optimism. He’s simply guessing most of the time – but unfortunately he guesses right occasionally – and that gives him enough positive feedback to just keep doing it even though the results are worse than actually having a plan and a system.

As for 78…last time he played with 18 and 34 he did well – but 18 didn’t say anything positive – it was blatant. I think the problem is Moreau simply doesn’t like him. Gee what did we do to Stoll and Torres when they didn’t want to play with a guy last year? Not like that would happen to Captain Mediocre though. Agree that 18 78 25 makes the most sense for tough minutes along with 27 10 83….by a mile.

95. Black Dog says:

dennis – I think the PK is going to fight it for a while now, I think the makings are there but its a green bunch all round and on top of everything it seems that Staios may have lost a step and that doesn’t help

as for tough minutes well since ’06 this team has lacked the guys to do the job so nothing new there, the good news is it looks more and more like there may be 4 Dmen getting there

up front I think they have to roll with 27/10/83 for now and I guess that means 18/78/26 – it looks like 78 has finally earned himself a job although that fucker has backslid so many times, he’s like the old coyote scrambling to the top of the cliff only to fall back into the canyon when the bird beeps at him

I think he may be ok though and the kids can get to feast on the softies and then maybe 85 can help kickstart 51 and 46 – those poor guys sure miss Glencross

I really do like 85 as a player down the road – smart, quick, he knows how to play – not a big guy but he doesn’t shy away

96. Black Dog says:

asia – yeah I think he doesn’t like him because he never bought into the whole Mendelbaum experience

97. Kris says:

Yeah, I agree with BDHS on Reddox, but I can’t help but think he’s going to prove inadequate in the next few games. We’ll see.

And I’m impressed with the patience the organization is showing with Brule. He’s a better fit than 85, but leaving him in Springfield for another 20 games or so is going to be better for his development.

98. DBO says:

So with a roster space available with Pisani down. Would they consider calling up the Hockey jesus for a few games. I’d like to see them give him a real shot and play him on the top line with hemsky and gagner. Move Moreau down to the third line. So:
    Gagner – Hemsky – Shremp (soft minutes)
    Horcoff – Nilsson – Cole (tough minutes)
    Cogliano – Penner – Moreau (tough minutes)
    Brodziak – Pouliot – Reddox

99. Rod says:

Seriously, Schremp? Can’t see how we need another perimeter player right now.

Besides, the discussion of a new line mate for Hemsky begins and ends with Penner. Horpensky. Tomorrow.

100. Scott says:

BDHS:
    Thanks, I figured it had something to do with that movie, but I couldn’t match it to a player. Probably because I was thinking in terms of our regular NHLers.

DBO:
    Pisani going down doesn’t really help Schremp’s chances. If any of the skilled guys went down, then it’s a different story.

101. Dennis says:

BD and Asia: I think there is something to his teammates not being big fans of 78 and yeah it probably does have to do with him not following the fitness regiment as closely as they do or did. We all suspected that’s why macT never cottoned to him like Lowe did and over this season MAcT has dropped that hint here and there. And after the two goal performance by 18-78-34 on that Sat vs Cgy, both goals being certainly helped by 78, 18 went out of his way to praise 34 on those plays and never mentioned 78 once. I believe the postgame video should still be available at the official site and check it out if you don’t believe me.

Also, I noticed last night that when 78 popped his first goal of the season you could see him saying, “yeah, finally” and 10 went over for what looked like an obligitory helmet tap and then turned aboutface and looked and pointed right at 13. I think you’re certainly on to something here.

Now why an out of shape 78 is possibly ostracized while Dom De Le Penner is a friend to the team, well maybe that has to do with 27′s personality, I can’t say for sure. There does seem to be something to this theory though.

When it comes to construction for matching tomorrow night, I do think it makes the most sense to go with 27-10-83 and 18-78-26 and shelter the Kids and play the 4th line sparingly but I don’t have any hopes that’s the way we’ll roll.

BTW: my suspicions were true about about the 18-78-26 line being effective for that game in Van. I went back and looked at my report from the Van game and I had that line outchancing their respective opp at 5-0.

Here’s the link if you want to take a look for yourself and if you’re seriously bored then you can watch the video of that game online at cbc.ca and look at the times where they created their chances:

The next game vs Bos, MacT went to the ill-fated 18-34-26 line, that line stayed together for five games and got murdered chance-wise three of those contests, and we haven’t seen the boys back together since. But there’s a little segment sample that says it’s worth another look.

PK wise for last night I wrote down the order of how we were running the pairs, along with the notations of who was in the box at the time, and basically 10 always starts off with either 51 or 18 and then 10 will always finish if we’re using 5 or more PKers like we did last night.

My plan for tomorrow night would be to have HorPenSky go after Datsyuk considered he’s got Hossa riding shotgun and then we’ll let ColMoriot take on Zetterburg and Franzen.

102. Bruce says:

Yeah, the opportunity is a square peg and Schremp’s a round hole.

Or something like that.

103. Coach pb9617 says:

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no .

Just stop this shit.

104. Asiaoil says:

Dennis – yeah I pretty much agree with your take – 18s comments after that CAL game were pretty damn inexcusable – especially for your captain. Being a leader means putting aside your personal feelings and doing what’s best for the team. If he can’t do that then he shouldn’t have the C.

Seems like the inmates are running the jail more and more these days – and MacT is rewarding his loyal soldiers no matter of what that does to the team’s chances of winning. Smells like end-days for MacT to me.

Roloson has really only had one bad period in the regular season this year, the third period in the first game in Columbus, and he took MacT to the Cup finals, which is why MacT (rightly or wrongly) will default to him.

Roloson is a survivor. He has been down and written off several times in his career and battled back.

Chosing which goaltender plays is complicated by the fact that MacT’s job probably depends on the Oilers making the playoffs.

106. Doogie2K says:

I know, as was my response.

Text is inconsistent when transmitting sarcasm and joking, especially when we’ve all been jumping on people for less-than-useful contributions lately. Mea culpa. (Speaking of useless contributions, what’s with this capital-letter shit in the names? Weird.)

107. Dennis says:

Moreau’s always been of interest to me as a quote because he has the confidence to say the things that the smart fans have already discussed and it sounds like it comes from a coach.

On the other hand it sorta of galls me that this attitude’s employed by a guy of his limited ability but limitless ability to take dumb penalties no matter how long he plays in the league:)

108. Bruce says:

Asia: I was gonna say the exact same thing.

Dennis: Interesting observation … something to watch for in future, especially now that the tap is turned on and Poo is going to start pouring in the goals. Right?

109. Rod says:

I remember the Moreau post-game interview, and it struck me differently. While I did notice he didn’t mention MAP, my take on it though is that he was definding Penner’s role and effort (the switch from away from 27 was due to PP time or something, and Moreau was saying Penner was doing well on the line). As though he wanted to avert any “the line improved once Penner was taken off” sort of talk. In doing that, MAP didn’t get all the glory…but a fair amount on the way anyway because of the counting stats (we are talking about the media here).

That’s a rather round about way of saying perhaps Moreau was acting more like a captain than we’re giving him credit for…

110. Rod says:

or maybe we’re just reading too much into a player’s post-game interview.

111. IceDragoon says:

Thanx, guys. I’m hanging in there, and hope you all are well.

Lowetide: Louise: I simply must insist you post more often.

Ahhh, Lain…
    Time is many, many, things, but compliant it is not.
    I’ll try.
    :-)

Completely reasonable thought re: bag skate and then starting over again.

I bet MacT does exactly that, too.

If the team game is suspect against the Wings… book it.

I think it still stings when he recalls a really ugly home game against the Kings January 27, ’07. I’m of the belief that a bag skate was planned if they lost. I think there were three days before that season defining/destroying road trip, and three days is just about perfect for optimal effects. (day 1-bag skate, day 2-soft touch/super simple, day 3-getting up to speed) The boys won and he let them off the hook. *sigh*

Dennis: Speaking of Garon, interesting quotes today from him which indicate he’s not hurting and that’s not the reason why MacT quit on him so early. Maybe this is just a case of MacT not liking the guy and that doesn’t bode well for any of us and it doesn’t give me the feeling of trust in MacT;

These quotes, Dennis?

“I don’t know what to think,” Garon said Tuesday before the game in Columbus.

“I don’t know what’s going on. I’m not the one making the decisions. There’s not much I can control except to have good practices.”

He certainly seems frustrated, but we can only speculate on the context.

I’d imagine that three goalies on his roster is not MacTavish’s idea of ideal. And his frustration is becoming more apparent as the goalie questions keep piling up. From the same article…

“I don’t want to get into who’s No. 1,” MacTavish said on Tuesday. “I could put out a press release every day, ranking the goalies, like college football. So and so lost to so and so, so they’ve now taken over … there’s no BCS (college football rankings) here.

“I will say that Roli looks on top of his game and we’ll keep riding him.”

“Mathieu’s battling through,” MacTavish said. “You get the feedback from Pete (goalie coach Peeters), not only physically but mentally. He’s got a good read on that and he gives me good information on whether a guy’s ready for a start.

“He’s getting ready.”

I have never been given reason to doubt my little bird, but I understand your skepticism.

meh… It’s all good.

… and probably irrelevant, because this…

… is bang on.

To be fair, the same could be said for damm near any HC… unless he happens to have a Luongo, that is.
    ;-D

btw – Thank you for your excellent work tracking scoring chances.
    :-)

112. Dennis says:

Bruce: I doubt he’s gonna start pouring in the goals but I would’ve picked him for 10-15 before the start of the season; though I would’ve scaled that down if I knew he was only gonna be on the 4th line for some or a lot of that time.

I want the kid to succeed because it would be nice to have that pick turn out OK and he’s a RH pivot with some size and in a lot of instances I’ve seen him as a low event guy whom I believed could play secondary tough min and contribute on the PK.

That being said if the boys don’t really like him because he doesn’t take his job seriously, ie not being in sufficent shape, then I can also roll with that because I’m on the record as damning Penner for the same transgression.

But I just thought I’d point out two instances that I found odd and didn’t seem team-like. Though Rod’s explanation could work just as easily as mine.

One last thing about 78 and pouring in goals. I don’t know if they’ll pour but I do know he’s had great scoring chances for a few games in a row now. Going back to the game in NJ he’s had a bunch of games in a row where he’s been getting himself into the right spots. He misfired in NJ, Lundqvist robbed him at MSG, he couldn’t finish a super tight chance vs TO and then he had a great chance off the draw vs Col. And of course Conks just got his pad on a two-on-one in JLA and he also misfired on two other ops in close.

Last year I noticed how Brodziak was getting a tonne of chances and I predicted he’d start to finish and now I’ll say the same thing for Pouliot; and no matter how I’ve praised or championed him I’ve always wondered where the offense would come from.

And there are a lot of forwards in the last 5-7 games who aren’t getting themselves in positions for the chances like 78 is.

Cole for instance is really worrying me. The 85-13-26 line did have some jam but Cole hasn’t been getting a lot of scoring chances and hasn’t been hitting the ball hard for a long time now.

Louise: thanks for the compliment! I wish you’d check in more these days because you always have some nice inside insights and my boy MacT’s been losing me a bit this year and I’d like to know the methods to his madness. I’ve been particularly frustrated by the focus on 89 jumping his development curve at the expense of a more sensible gameplan. Of course it’s not above MacT to do such things because as far back as ’01 he give Comrie the coveted Smyth-Carter wing combo while Weight played with Cleary-Zholtok, Moreau-Marchant-Grier were taking on the toughs back in those days for all the youngsters interested in that stuff and the 4th line saw BG have an excellent year that gave some of us mad hopes and he played with Rem Murray and a young Horcoff.

In the season ’09, however, it looks like he thinks he’s playing with house money.

113. mc79hockey says:

LT needs a new GDT here. Smid to the wing tonight, apparently, playing with Pouliot and Brodziak.

114. spOILer says:

MC do you have a link. The Oiler pre-game press release on their site still has Smid out with a concussion.

115. IceDragoon says:

Credit where it is due, Dennis. We may sometimes see different sides of the same coin, as it were; but I’ve learned to trust and appreciate your critical eye.

And… my inside info, such as it is, tends to be quite peripheral/inconsequential and very sporadic, with most coming in the off season. There are a few juicy nuggets that I can’t discuss till the book(s) comes out, tho.
    ;-D
    For the most part my reads are my own, but I’ve had enough verified over the years to be confident in them.

By my eye MacT went bat**** crazy last year. Horcoff centered Penner and Gagner against the toughs early. Then Stoll with Torres and Stortini got the gig till… Crosby!!! We’ve lost key players year after year and MacT spends the first 20something games playing guys out of their comfort zones. (That which does not kill you makes you stronger.) Kinda like skin grafting to help heal a gaping wound. Well, this year the wound is much deeper.

I have always looked at the centres as the backbone of a team. As much as Lain was talking about more balance on the roster this year, the smart cats knew that we needed a veteran right-handed centre to handle the second wave, so to speak.

We started the year with a #1 who hadn’t played in 8 months, a few choices for an OK #4, and a lot of risk in the middle of the order. Half of our spine had been ripped out and not replaced. Say what you will about O-zone-black-hole-mush-melon-Jarret-Stoll, but he managed to find a simple defensive game to fall back on, and Marty Reasoner is a helluva hockey player.

We have a number of centres who may become trusted in the 2-3 roles, but they’re not there yet, and young centres will be schooled by opposing vets. Add to this that MacT insists on his young Cs spending time on the wing. He thinks they have more appreciation for the support they have to bring at centre and will be better because of it. Can’t argue the logic by looking at Horcoff, that’s for sure.

Not only is MacT trying to grow the team a new spine, in more ways than one, he has to do so with less coaching tools at his disposal. Instead of having three PB seats and bodies that occupy them working their arses off to get into the line-up, he has an extra goalie and had a (now injured) nuclear deterrent taking up two of them. Guys haven’t been afraid of being replaced in the line-up… till Penner.

btw – MacT’s stinging commentary on Penner was already known to the fitness-freak leaders on the team. People talking about MacT losing the room don’t have a clue. If anything, the veterans are even more committed to their coach now.

Not sure if you read this the other day…

This part on page two speaks volumes, imho.

“Mac has always said, and he has been true to his word, that if you’re struggling, as long as you’re doing everything you can to get out of it, he’ll be your ally,” Horcoff said.

Yup, the Pygmalionesque push is on for our young Samwise. The fact that we don’t have enough shelter for him may have kickstarted it, but his hard work on and off the ice is what keeps MacT in his corner. People are quick to jump on 89′s mistakes and then continually beat him over the head with them many games later, but if one is looking for mistakes that’s what he’ll find no matter which player he focuses on. Those looking for Gagner’s mistakes don’t seem to notice that his positioning and support is ridiculously good for one so young, or that he wins more battles than he loses, even against guys like Rick Nash. And, tho, I don’t like seeing him on the PK, I think/hope it’s to keep his legs in the game more than anything.

I don’t think MacT trusts Pouliot yet, but if Lowebellini doesn’t bring in a vet C soon, he’ll bite the bullet and we’ll all live with the consequences.

L8r
    Louise

116. IceDragoon says:

I had a few more thoughts, but wanted to put a up comment last night before Lain bumped this discussion to the archives.
    Looks like I just made it.
    :-)

Ethan Moreau was on TV yesterday (nothing on the Oilers site that I can find) saying that, because of the physical grind they’ve been going thru, this team has been cutting each other a lot of slack, but there’s accountability in the room going forward. He said he can’t recall a more grueling stretch of games that he’s ever played. I wonder what Eric Cole thinks of his baptism into the WC. I’d imagine that even the home games must have felt like an extension of the road trip. Following this long break and our next home game, we have two sets of back to backs on the road, with one home game in between them, and then we get some ‘reasonable’ in the schedule.

Heck, even Bob Stauffer, who you can be sure did not exert much in the way of energy, says that he is completely exhausted from all the travel, different time zones and start times.

Hockey players like their routines, and our boys haven’t played two games in a row at the same time and won’t for some time yet. fwiw – Three games, starting with game #35, at 8pm to close out ’08 – bring in ’09 (home-Calgary-home) are the first games in a row at the same time. The first string of games at our usual start time of 7pm doesn’t happen till the end of January.

I’m sure I read somewhere… “That which does not kill you makes you stronger”… or, in the words of my intelligent daughter, “Suck it up, Buttercup.” I think our team will be better for it in the long run.

One thing I forgot to mention before the season started. Gagner needs to be taking more face-offs. The kid was a killer against his peers in junior, the super series, and the London Knights summer tour. It seems MacT agrees, and the kid is getting better on the dot.

Oh, and…

I think I’ll stay away from Lain’s newer topics. There seems to be a bunch of princesses with ridiculous expectations, cackling like chicken littles in them.

Ah well…