Oilers at Blues, G22/08-09

This is Glenn Hall. I’ve always thought he should be in the conversation when people talk about the greatest goalies all-time. If they gave me a vote (and they don’t) my list of greatest goalies would include Hall, Sawchuk, Plante, Roy and Hasek.

I think Hasek is probably the greatest goalie who ever lived but among the old guard it seems Sawchuk’s fame and legend increases every year at the expense of Hall (and Plante to a certain extent).

The numbers suggest Glenn Hall was a magnificent goalie, and (unlike Sawchuk and Plante from his era) played much of his career for an organization that was not deemed a powerhouse before his arrival. I wonder how Hall’s numbers would stack up if the Wings had decided to keep him instead of dumping him off and re-acquiring Sawchuk.

For old guys like me, the St. Louis Blues have always had a personality. They were good out of the box, unlike Oakland or Pittsburgh. They’ve been a playoff team for many, many seasons of their existence (the Blues missed the playoffs three times between 1967 and 2004 and all three of the misses where in the 1970′s).

I like what they’re building in St. Louis. Former Ottawa draft guru Jarmo Kekalainen has been putting in solid work over the last few years and the kids are alright and arriving by the bucketload. David Perron, Patrick Berglund and TJ Oshie are having an impact (it looks to me like they dealt Stempniak this week to make room for the kids) and that big defender Erik Johnson is going to be something else again (he’s out for the season with an injury).

The Blues have had their share of heartbreak, none more painful than the Bob Gassoff tragedy. They’ve had good (never great) teams but I think they’re building in the right direction.

We’ve gnawed away on the MacTavish angle like a dog with a bone the last few days, so let’s talk nuts and bolts. According to the online newspapers, the kid line is on notice and the word is that Schremp may be the next callup if the offensive woes continue. Brodziak draws in and will center Moreau and Cole on the 3line and Zack Truck will be back on the 4line with I’d guess Liam Reddox and Pouliot. Ladislav Smid is (I’d think) likely to play the blue today.

Huge weekend for this team. The management and ownership have come to the coach’s rescue, but if the losses keep coming in waves something’s gotta give.

432 Responses to "Oilers at Blues, G22/08-09"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »

Ethan with his 2.

2. bookie says:

As you watch the game, keep in mind that the Blues are one of the bottom feeder teams right now. Its not like we are playing Detroit here…

3. mc79hockey says:

Keep it up Jim, I expect to see you in underwear ads soon.

Maybe we need a little Reggie Jackson/Billy Martin. I’d be ok with an HNIC fist fight between the two of them.

Jesus Christ Moreau.

4. Asiaoil says:

18 really is an irritatingly dumb player…..

5. Scarlett says:

Another penalty from Moreau? When was the last game he played that he didn’t have a penalty? Oh and Gags on the pk! Nice.

6. PunjabiOil says:

Another dumbass penalty in the offensive zone by Moreau

7. B.C.B. says:

anyone shocked Moreau took another 2 minute minor?

I thought he was supposed to be a key part of the PK. Two years out and I think he forgot the rules.

8. Deans says:

Anyone know where Paul Kariya is?

9. bookie says:

Most years, I kind of know who our PK guys are, is it my imagination or does it just seem totally random as of late?

Deans: Kariya is hurt.

11. RiversQ says:

Ouch followed up a strong PK with a shaky one. The PK looks better overall though and the Blues’ PP is pretty good.

12. Coach pb9617 says:

Gagner and Penner take the bulk of the PK.

Mac is like DFense in falling down at this point.

13. Asiaoil says:

Hey Bookie…..random is just what we are all about behind the bench these days :)

14. Coach pb9617 says:

Heh, that would be awesome except Penner is a lover, not a fighter.

15. Chris says:

Its kind of nice to see Woywitcha getting another shot at the NHL.

16. mc79hockey says:

The Blues PP is shooting more than 18% at the moment. Are we really needing any more explanation than that for their PP?

17. Chris says:

It would be nice if our captain wasn’t leading the team in stupid penalties.

18. Chris says:

The kid line does noticably better when they don’t use the drop pass.

19. bookie says:

MacT’s awkwardness in talking about it (saying that Garon is ready to start soon, but never actually starting him)and the strangeness of the situation could be explained by that. Did MacT have any problems with Garon last year?

20. RiversQ says:

Mc79: they do take the zone well and move the puck pretty quickly. I’m sure they’re not top five or anything in terms of real ability but they should be decent.

21. mc79hockey says:

Someone better just jump Backes. That was an atrocious play.

22. bookie says:

OMG, that was bad, really bad, I hope Vish is not seriously hurt…head first, no support OMG.

23. PunjabiOil says:

This season is over

24. Kish says:

“Anyone think that the Roli persistence in net is being driven from the top down in order to successfully trade him?”

Makes about as much sense as anything else right now. In that scenario… ohhh, lubo, ouch.
    lost train of thought…

25. B.C.B. says:

Why hasn’t someone hurt Backes?

We are a team of wimps, and we don’t even stand up for each other.

I am sick

26. Schitzo says:

Shhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiit

27. mc79hockey says:

Ah, I’m wrong. That wasn’t bad. Hope Lubo’s ok. That was a terrible place to get hit.

28. bookie says:

I didn’t think it was a dirty hit, really more of a push and an awkward fall. Hopefully, he just got his bell rung a little

29. HBomb says:

Someone better just jump Backes. That was an atrocious play.

Agreed. I want to see some full on rage from a Souray or a Moreau.

If not on Backes, pick on a Berglund or a Boyes. Eye for an eye.

30. Black Dog says:

First Horcoff and now Visnovsky.

Just letting this guy run around and do as he pleases.

31. HBomb says:

And I want to see said rage even though it was a “clean” hit.

Stortini gets a misconduct, but Janssen gets only two. Ridiculous.

32. B.C.B. says:

Stortini gets a 10 . . . why? trying to stand up for his team.

33. Black Dog says:

It was a clean hit but someone should have gone after Backes or Boyes after Backes went after Horcoff.

34. slipper says:

River said:
    I don’t know, this is pretty much the lineup every one has been asking for with the one exception of Smid and contrary to popular belief his numbers haven’t been exceptional.

I don’t think anyone has argued once that his numbers have been exceptional. Not even close. That’s Traktor territory for misrepresenting someone’s argument.

Smid’s numbers have been acceptable and far less atrocious than either Strudwick’s or Staois’.

I’m not trying to start something and am an absolute Oiler nut, but Jarmo Kekalainen is a really good chief scout. There are some players on that other team.

36. bookie says:

Punjhabi Oil said This season is over

Thanks for making the rest of us look less like drama queens!

37. Scarlett says:

Nilsson and Cogs….beautiful play!

38. HBomb says:

Whoa, nice goal by Cogliano, but damn, that was ALL Nilsson right there.

39. bookie says:

THATS the kind of play I like to see…

See MacT, you dont need to grind to score. Sometimes you can do a through the legs move followed by a saucer pass and a top shelf shot.

Let them play.

40. mc79hockey says:

Holy fuck! Nilsson…holy fuck! Hemsky makes me laugh out loud sometimes watching him, in a good way, like I can’t believe what I’m seeing. Nilsson just made me do that.

Well it isn’t the McLelland goal but that one could be pretty damn important in the grand scheme of things.

42. Coach pb9617 says:

I just laughed like the crazy guy on the boat in Apocalypse Now when I saw Nilsson make that play.

Maybe the kids should be together with Pouliot, not Gagner.

43. slipper says:

Weird thing is: I actually agree with Traktor regarding Cole’s effort on the first GA. It was pathetic.

He’s played a good second period, though.

44. Asiaoil says:

A hit that late and in that place putting a guy head first into the boards can be a career ender. You put a stick through Backes head next time he hits the ice – score be damned.

45. slipper says:

Well that was an amazing play by Nilsson.

They scored in spite of the coach, right guys?

46. HBomb says:

slipper: Cole’s been perhaps the best Oiler in the 2nd period. The guy is working hard. A friend compared him to Mike Peca in his one season here in terms of how he was floating, and I called him on it. The effort is there, from where I sit.

That hyperbole made me shoot Bacardi and coke out my nose. Thanks Lowetide.

4-on-3. Nice….

47. Coach pb9617 says:

Did you sound a bit insane when you laughed? I did.

48. mc79hockey says:

I think some of you miss MacT’s point on that. I don’t take him as saying that he wants everyone to dump and chase, only that you need to pick your spots. Nilsson went wide Cogliano beat his guy and boom…back of the net.

49. RiversQ says:

Slipper: Yeah I know. What I was getting at was that we’re talking about the 6th dman and neither Smid nor his replacement are difference makers. Of course I’d prefer Smid there too, but they aren’t losing the game because of it.

50. mc79hockey says:

Fucking Penner. Christ that was a stupid penalty. I’m also thoroughly sick of seeing Souray on the point. We’ve beaten this into the ground, I know, but come on wiht this.

51. bookie says:

Penner has done a nice job getting to the front of the net all night, now if someone would get a shot at the net…

52. HBomb says:

Jay McKee goes down like a 2-dollar whore, ending the Oiler powerplay.

I don’t know what’s more impressive. Hemsky’s puck retrieval skills or Souray’s ability to keep the pick in at the opposition blueline.

53. Coach pb9617 says:

Ah Dustin. That’s just dumb. Good game up to that point.

54. Traktor says:

Cogliano is making the number crunchers that said he would slump look like idiots.

55. Coach pb9617 says:

*Looks at the PK numbers for Staios*

Hm

*looks at the ES numbers for Staios*

You sure about that RQ?

56. Kris says:

I think the Oilers should have “Souray point shot’ as their PK strategy too. I mean if it works for the PP, why not for the PK?

57. Coach pb9617 says:

That’s the first time in awhile that Hemsky has forced that pass. The rest of the team does it, but damn, if Hemsky is doing it, get that bastard off of the ice for a shift or two to let them remember how a power play works.

58. Chris says:

I was about to make a sarcastic comment about how our strategy of passing to the point on the powerplay never works, but then Souray scored.

59. Kris says:

I think Souray point shot is now going to be my strategy for everything.

“Need to make some cash?” Well…, time for a Souray blast from the point!

“Cop just pulled you over, and you’re drunk as a skunk?” Time for a 100 mph slapshot!

60. Black Dog says:

hey traktor, I seriously never have anything bad to say about anybody

I certainly try not to. I would think most would agree with that.

I’m not really sure what your problem is – I guess you enjoy getting ragged on.

You just have no respect for anybody. Every word out of your mouth, every single one is an insult.

Seriously fuck off. Really. Go away.

61. HBomb says:

As opposed to you, who proves he’s an idiot every time he opens his mouth.

Fuck me….Staios on the PP? I know Visnovsky’s in the trainer’s room, but play four forwards or something. Christ.

62. mc79hockey says:

Yes, through 21 games, he’s on pace to put up about 80% of last year’s points, despite having seen his ES ice time go up by about a minute a night and his PP ice time be basically unchanged. What were those people thinking?

63. Chris says:

You have to give it to Lowe at least he went out and got a player that can make MacT’s powerplay strategy work occasionally.

64. RiversQ says:

coach: Yeah I’m sure. Both for this game and in general. The forwards drive results IMO and Staios et al would look much better if they were pinned in their own zone less. Oh and if they won more own zone draws too.

65. bookie says:

No, I actually don’t think I miss the point. I do understand how getting out there and playing tough can really help you get things going, and to be fair that is what MacT is saying. What I think he misses though, is that skilled players get the same ‘thrill’ or ‘motivation boost’ when they try to make a magic play. They dont always work, just like every body check doesn’t work. So, you have to let them do it. You see it with Hemsky all of the time. Telling them to keep it simple kills their spirit.

At least thats what I think.

66. slipper says:

Phew! Did anyone else think for a second that Roloson might fire that into his own net?

I guess that eliminates him from my list of suspects.

67. PunjabiOil says:

It’s nice they tied it up, but man oh man, losing Lubomir Visnovsky (arguably team MVP) for an extended period of time would be a momenteous disaster in the making.

68. Kris says:

Do you suppose Souray somehow sensed my jerkwad insults and decided to prove me wrong?

69. Chris says:

No doubt about that Punjabi, Vishnovsky has been the Oilers best player so far this year. Hopefully he’s okay.

70. Lord Bob says:

So, while I was gone, the Oilers started playing hockey again?

I regret everything! Stay, MacT, stay! Grebeshkov for the Norris trophy!

And any update on Visnovsky’s status?

71. Kish says:

Traktor: what does it say about you when you choose to participate in a community that openly and actively dislikes you? and further, participate in a community that you openly and actively dislike? I mean, I read your comments, I’m always left with “why”? Just… leave. it seems like both parties will be happier.

72. HBomb says:

Ok, I’ve seen plenty of spelling errors today. Time for a review.

H-E-M-S-K-Y. Hemsky.

N-I-L-S-S-O-N. Nilsson.

S-C-H-R-E-M-P. Schremp.

Seriously, if you’re going to cheer for a team, learn how to spell the names.

Sorry guys, but this is a MAJOR pet peeve o’ mine.

73. Coach pb9617 says:

Because it wasn’t a forced pass to the point?

74. slipper says:

Thing is about Staios, which surprise me when I checked it out, is that his GA numbers are GOOD with Cogliano, Gagner, Penner, Pouliot, and Nilsson. They’re terrible with Hemsky, Horcoff, Pisani, Moreau and Cole.

75. Traktor says:

“Seriously fuck off. Really. Go away.”

For sure. Not much else I can say anyway, besides I told you so.

Cogs back up around 18%.

76. dubya says:

OK, I’m a little confused how the “stats guys” are going for style over substance on Souray. Sure, he’s awkward on the ice but it’s not his game planning that makes the PP stagnant. Plus, the PPG/60 is way higher with him on the ice than anyone other D and he’s a true game changer in that no matter how poor the PP is going he can score on any shot (and now has 5 PPG). How is HE the problem?

//Sometimes I think that players like Hemsky, Gags, and Neilson should be encourage to feel free to dipsy doodle to their hearts content because a lot of our goals last year came off of pretty magic looking plays.//

The Oilers beat the Red Wings in six because their skill players were trying to be too fancy to often. Since then, Babcock has demanded and forced Red Wings forwards to play a much simpler offensive game where puck pressure is emphasized more than fancy plays.

MacT is making the points that winning hockey with skilled players is no different than with unskilled players. Make the simple play, and be hard on the puck, and the opportunities to use your skill will flow from that. Just watch the Detroit Red Wings. They make simple plays and are hard on the puck to create opportunities and then use their skill to finish.

78. Alice says:

HBomb,

It’s the damn voice-recognition software

79. Traktor says:

“As opposed to you, who proves he’s an idiot every time he opens his mouth.”

When die-hard MacTavish lackeys think I’m an idiot it’s more of a compliment than anything.

80. HBomb says:

For sure. Not much else I can say anyway, besides I told you so.

Actually keep your word actually this time asshole. The Oilogosphere is better off without you.

81. Chris says:

No update on Vish yet Lord Bob, they decided to go with This Old Multimillion Dollar House with Brad Boyes instead.

82. Coach pb9617 says:

I don’t disagree with the forwards drive results bit, hence my constant rants about Penner and Gagner, but Staios is far in front of the rest of the defense for shitty PK play.

83. Coach pb9617 says:

Like blind drop passes?

84. slipper says:

Maybe next game Reddux can get shipped down and Nillson can suit up with Shremp for an added offensive punch.

But seriously, is class over yet?

85. HBomb says:

For the record, I’m far from a MacT lackey.

And MacT lovers and haters alike think you’re a fucking tool. Do us all a favor and shut your damn mouth.

86. HBomb says:

Slipper: Funny. Seriously.

Seriously, mis-spelling of players names is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It’s like a Vietnam veteran having flashbacks to some battle, only the flashbacks are more horrific images of the Oilers “official” messageboard.

87. Alice says:

Favour

88. dubya says:

Oops, guess Souray has 4PPG as that was 4on4.

89. PunjabiOil says:

Lowe has been a sub-par GM. His decision to let Marty Reasoner walk was absurd. Failing to address the third line center position after letting Marty walk can not be undermined.

Going into the season without an apparent plan with respect to goaltenders was idiotic.

Letting Glencross go for peanuts cannot be forgiven; especially when you consider the Oilers are paying Stortini (650K) + Mathieu Roy (500K) to make no contributions towards winning hockey games.

Not re-signed Hejda was another horrific blunder – an effective replacement that could allow the Oilers to trade Staios. Nope – just let a solid defenceman under your nose (and undervalued across the league) slip away like that.

The buddy-buddy recruitment process also falls on him. Those who consider Craig MacTavish a poor coach should acknowledge it is ultimately Lowe who has held onto him for this long.

Lowe is a very overrated GM.

It’s quite sad, actually.

90. Schitzo says:

PJO: Where the heck did that come from? Just getting it off your chest?

91. Coach pb9617 says:

Lowe is a very overrated GM.

Oh here we go again.

92. Chris says:

Lowe has been severely hit and miss as a GM Punjabi. Ironic that the team mirrors their GM with its inconsistency.

93. Coach pb9617 says:

PJO: Where the heck did that come from? Just getting it off your chest?

He decided to take the Traktor tact.

94. Kris says:

Ah H-Bomb:

How ironic. You misspelled the word ‘misspelling.’ There is no dash.

95. slipper says:

Hbomb wants MacTavish to be fired. He has stated that much atleast thirty times on this site over the past few days. You’re arguing into thin air, repeatedly, when only a handful of commenters actually don’t support removing the coach; mostly for reasons attributed to the poor roster rather than any hardcore passion for MacTavish.

This is what that ON fellow didn’t quite comprehend, either, and it’s not difficult to understand why people associate the traktors with the hunters and jeanshorts. By saying everyone is a hardcore MacT lackey only establishes that you don’t read or pay attention to anyone’s opinions around here. That’s why people conclude that you’re no better than a troll.

96. dubya says:

Look, I’d like Lowe gone because I’m tired of his patronizing “Problem, what problem? Why’s everybody so worried? Listen, hockey is grown up stuff so you fans should just leave it to us pros. You couldn’t possibly understant” act. However, I am also tired of the revisionist bullshit about Glencross. Wasn’t the general opinion in the ‘sphere that he was a useful player riding an unsustainable SH%? And therefore replaceable? (This not even considering the fact that Lowe was after much bigger fish at the time)

97. slipper says:

And with that tirade Horcoff scores. Good karma.

98. Coach pb9617 says:

That was Palmer on the powerplay, not Horcoff. Man he’s good on the power play.

99. spOILer says:

Horc has finally remembered where the crease is.

100. slipper says:

Damn, Dustin Penner!

Bad karma. Bad.

101. PunjabiOil says:

PJO: Where the heck did that come from? Just getting it off your chest?

Pretty much; inspired from an HF thread

I, like Dennis, just hate the fact that Kevin Lowe gets a free pass for the most part in this city; meanwhile, MacT is allegedly the root of all evil

102. Kish says:

So not to detract from the anti-traktor/mact/lowe thread… but the oil are up 3-2 and look… decent.

oh, and traktor/mact/lowe are useless.

103. HBomb says:

Kris: touche. I think we all screw up spelling certain words, and it’s forgiveable (I might have misspelled that one).

But the player names, specifically….it bugs the HELL out of me.

Slipper: thank you for that. For the record, despite being VERY anti-MacT in my earlier days on Oilfans, my feeling right now is that it’s simply time for a different voice, nothing more, nothing less.

104. Chris says:

I agree with that slipper, the consensus was that GlenX wanted too much money for a 30 game hot streak. I really do wish we’d kept Hedja around though, he was a solid hockey player.

105. quain says:

I think MacT should be fired for throwing Dustin Penner under the bust to no effect.

106. HBomb says:

Horpensky lookin’ damn fine out there. Horcoff makes it 4-2.

That one’s for you Traktor. Horcoff and die.

107. Chris says:

Horcoff at EVEN STRENGTH!

108. boopronger says:

wow the hhp line is playing well

109. PunjabiOil says:

Oh here we go again.

Lets hear some convincing arguments in support of Lowe.

In other news, Horcoff continues making Traktor look like an HF clown.

110. Black Dog says:

I want to make love to Tom Gilbert.

Damn he’s a player.

And Horcoff too.

111. Coach pb9617 says:

Lordy lordy Palmer is good.

Well, the defense was terrible there, but still.

Horpensky is a good line that should have been together from day 1, regardless of how big Palmer’s ass was.

112. slipper says:

Ahh, karma holds no grudges. What a beauty shift and play by everyone.

113. HBomb says:

BDHS: Is it off base to think Gilbert’s been the best Oiler not named Ales Hemsky since about November 1st or so?

I don’t think so.

114. Kish says:

holy.

115. boopronger says:

since when has penner been such a playmaker btw?

116. quain says:

I feel like PJO is a bit confused at where he is. I’m pretty sure well over half of the regular posters on Lowetide were ready to set fire to Lowe long ago, I really have no idea where the rage is coming from. Did I miss the pro-Lowe thread during the Thanksgiving holiday?

117. Tyler says:

I think that the first part is right. None of us thought that he was really a 35-40 goal scorer. And the $1.8-2.0MM number was insane.

With that said, I’d have thought long and hard about keeping him over Zak as a bottom of the roster guy, even at their salary differences. I think I would have probably selected GlenX.

His points totals in Calgary are a bit misleading though – he’s getting some PP TOI and has some PP points (3 assists, IIRC). He wouldn’t be getting PP time in Edmonton. He’s a useful hockey player though and, given the choice, I might well have wanted to keep him if guys like Moreau and Pisani weren’t signed until the end of time.

118. PunjabiOil says:

Any update on Lubomir? If it’s a concussion, don’t the NHL rules mandate that he’ll have to miss the next game.

119. boopronger says:

is it just me or does strudwick kind of look like avery?

120. Tyler says:

I find it funny that the Blues doctor is looking at him.

“Visnovsky eh? You better take the rest of the night off. So, what’s wrong with you?”

Lowe’s career as GM had three stanza’s:

1. Pre-lockout maintain
    2. Summmer of Pollock
    3. Elevator shaft

I’m a Lowe defender, but stopped when the cable broke on the 99th floor.

122. Showerhead says:

Well this is nice. Thank you Rowbear, Andrew, Sheldon, Dustin, and Shawn. I am placated.

123. Kris says:

Yeah, HBomb:

I think Gilbert has really looked smooth lately. He was shaky to start, but no longer.

Our top-4 has actually been really impressive: good news, because with the exception of Grebs they’re all in the fold for a while longer.

124. PunjabiOil says:

Moreau hurt?

125. Black Dog says:

hbomb – well Lubo is up there but I would say top three

He had a tough start, I think he was trying to earn that contract all at once.

Being paired with Souray helped too.

126. Coach pb9617 says:

Lets hear some convincing arguments in support of Lowe.

No. Who are you trying to pick a fight with? Who “defends” Lowe here?

127. Alice says:

The issue with Glencross is that he was a known commodity, lower-tier NHLer with some possible upside as a late bloomer. Detroit hasn’t done badly with some of those types. The easy replacements have been AHLers, and if you put a contract to the asset, then you can always Trade him. It’s a no-lose, that’s why it’s a fuck up to pass on him. Maybe not the biggest fuck-up in the history of pro sports, but it’s a brain cramp. Period.

128. Showerhead says:

Oh wow. Just wow. Andrew and Rowbear, I might have to thank you again. But Samwise, you silly hobbit, please stop being a passenger.

129. Coach pb9617 says:

I don’t think so.

Lubo?

130. Coach pb9617 says:

I said previously, he took the Traktor tact.

131. Traktor says:

“MacT is allegedly the root of all evil”

I thought it was the EIG.

132. Kish says:

1. Pre-lockout maintain
    2. Summmer of Pollock
    3. Elevator shaft

and…

Exactly.

133. HBomb says:

Kris: that top four needs some filling out.

And as long as he’s a pending UFA next summer (i.e. until Montreal extends him), I’ll keep saying the name: Mike Komisarek.

Clear salary by making the bottom pair super-cheap (read: trade Staios).

134. Showerhead says:

HBomb: If the Oilers landed Komisarek at non future crippling dollars/term, I’d be drinking/dancing for weeks in celebration.

135. slipper says:

Has anyone mentioned the Gordie Howe hat-trick yet, or are we all to old and mature for that sorta thing?

There are maybe 500 people on earth who appreciate Horcoff so bring it on.

:-)

137. Kris says:

H-Bomb:

Staios sure seems like an overpay now. And yeah the bottom paring needs a smidup,… I mean a shakeup.

However, I don’t know about fiddling with the top 4. I admit that there’s no true shutdown defender in our top 4, but the way the current top-4 move the puck is really impressice. In fact, the puck movement covers up for a lot of crappiness at forward right now. IMO, anyway.

138. Kris says:

Nonetheless, Komisarek is great.

139. RiversQ says:

Nice game from Horc so far. That would have been a funny assist if Hemsky turned that flipped puck into a goal. PP opp will have to do.

140. Showerhead says:

Lowetide: count me in, call me #94. There was a Dustin Penner chance earlier in the game off a Horcoff backpressure turnover that I wouldn’t shut up to my present company about. Said present company? My mom and girlfriend – for some reason, neither of them were as moved as I was.

141. Alice says:

First you have to convince Burke that Staois isn’t some kinda European,

142. Showerhead says:

RiversQ: that 10-83 pass was very Hemsky-esque, no?

143. slipper says:

Can we please have a heated debate over Lowe’s tenure as Oilers’ GM? Perhaps we can follow that up with the value of underlying numbers, GF/GA and all that good stuff.

Pouliot over Parise?

We can see this fucker to 800 posts, we just have to try.

144. HBomb says:

Showerhead: I would join you on said bender.

Hopefully the Oilers hear me on this one. I was screaming for them to go after Simon Gagne this summer from Philly. Sadly, no one listened, and look where he is now….

Slipper: I’d like to start by defending Lupul.

146. Alice says:

Sorry about the vowels, HB, I really did try!

147. HBomb says:

Slipper: don’t forget a spirited debate over the Pronger trade, followed by a long discussion regarding whether or not Shawn Horcoff is a first line center.

800 posts? Dream bigger. We could hit 1000 easy.

148. Coach pb9617 says:

Moreay lays down and lets a guy walk around him again.

It’s youth.

149. Chris says:

I’d like to see Komisarek as an Oiler too. Although Vishnovsky, Souray, Gilbert and Komisarek would be a whole lot of money tied up in defensemen.

If we need to stretch, a few suggestions:

1. MacT hates Rita.
    2. Comrie!
    3. MacT breaking down Poti’s game.
    4. Ron Low’s comments on Miro Satan as an Oiler.

151. Kris says:

Why not add a 5 assets for Pronger discussion

152. PunjabiOil says:

They say you can’t coach heart….Andrew Cogliano illustrates this notion.

This 5″9 pesky little fucker is always battling ofr the loose pucks and long the corners.

Great young player.

To quote the legendary Lowetide, “Stu McGregor you magnificent bastard.”

153. HBomb says:

Alice: The Staios misspelling is one I almost don’t even notice anymore. I’ve seen it a billion times.

I’m not part of the #88 fanclub, but it’s the Schremp one that really drives me up the wall.

154. Chris says:

LT “Slipper: I’d like to start by defending Lupul”

Dear god you’ve been possessed by Bob Stauffer!

You know what’s sad? Sugartits might have been less than an hour from being called up.

156. HBomb says:

Frankly, I would not care. Mostly because that top four would be the envy of 25+ other teams.

157. Showerhead says:

Grebeshkov take three years off the life expectancy of anyone else’s heart there?

158. Coach pb9617 says:

Grebs looks like the gashouse gang there.

159. Chris says:

It depends on how the cap situation plays out HBomb, if the cap goes up it might be a good idea. Although I’m reluctant to put all our eggs in the top defensemen basket as when you load up the defense its money you can’t spend at forward or in goal. While both our forward contingent and our goaltending are a bit of a question mark going forward.

160. PunjabiOil says:

Update on Lubomir: He was looking like he might return, but for precautionary reasons kept out of the game.

161. Deans says:

Call me a homer but I think Lowe has done a very good job as Oilers GM. He turned a shoestring budget into a playoff threat every pre-lockout year. When he finally got some scratch to work with his team almost won the cup.

You cant blame him for Pronger wanting out of town. He wasnt given a whole lot of options when the story went public.

I would argue that the teams draft record has been good, eventhough there has been a few mistakes (mistakes that alot of other GMS made BTW)

In my book the Souray signing is proving to be a sucess. The jury is still out on Penner.

Overall B plus

162. Chris says:

Erik Cole is snake bitten.

163. slipper says:

Pfft, as if he didn’t miss that empty net on purpose. Rat.

164. Black Dog says:

Empty net, better not put Horcoff out there. ;)

Cole, you rat.

Too many men? OMFG.

166. Kish says:

OK, is there a way to search to number of too many men calls each year? because, I think the oil must have lead the league in this for the last 5 or 6 years… and are doing it again this year.

167. HBomb says:

Chris: If not Komisarek, I think a stay-at-home d-man would have to be on the shopping list next summer.

They’ve got 3/4′s of a nice top-four on the back-line going. Maybe they go and find summer 2009′s equivalent of Kurt Sauer (4 years @ 1.75 per to Phoenix, played the toughs for Colorado last year, contrary to what Cliff Fletcher might tell you).

Then again, if we had kept Jan Hejda, we’re probably not having this discussion. Oh well, c’est la vie.

168. mc79hockey says:

Alright, I’m off to a Blues site to scream for Andy Murray’s head.

169. Black Dog says:

Oh Deans don’t get me started.

Good job prelockout.

Great job 2006

Pretty well a complete disaster since.

170. slipper says:

Deans! We were just joking.

Good Christ, you have no idea what you’ve opened yourself up to.

171. Showerhead says:

Showerhead hears about EN and looks up at clock.

Says aloud, “Wow, that’s a lot of time. We had better score an empty netter – I call Cole.”

Puck works its way around the boards, into Cole’s possession, and out of the zone. Puck crosses center ice and gets tossed on net.

Mr. Cole: I am more concerned with your making me look bad than your current slump. Please send your apology letter to Winnipeg, complete with 10% of your current contract.

Sincerely, Showerhead.

MC: You should be able to cut and paste from the LA HF board.

173. HBomb says:

Good win, but you know what?

Roloson looked a bit chaotic in the crease.

I’d go with Garon tomorrow. But I also know that MacT won’t.

174. Black Dog says:

Coachkillers.

;)

Ok, lets see another nice effort tomorrow.

175. Coach pb9617 says:

Based on tonight’s performance, the knifer was Moreau. Or Staios. Probably Moreau.

176. slipper says:

Damn. Thank Debrusk, I nearly forgot about that average NHL save Roloson made in the second period.

177. Black Dog says:

I don’t know that was a quality shot block attempt there by Captain Courage.

178. Chris says:

While I’m just making that observation off hand the underlaying statistical number of 0.26 per 60 minutes of icetime seems to confirm that. 0.78 pts /60for that matter as well.

Cole also has the worst GF/60 of any Oiler forward not named Brodziak, Sortini or MacIntyre.

179. Coach pb9617 says:

Crisis averted.

180. Deans says:

My bad still tryin to pick up the sarcasm on this board

181. BenJammin says:

Holy shit MacT is a genius. Putting Penner on the top line with Horcoff and Hemsky? Putting all the young guns on a “Kid Line”? Keeping all the defensemen an the blueline? I mean how many of us could have made these calls?

182. Alice says:

Doesn’t Kenny Linesman count as a veteran Oiler? I think he was the rat.

183. Coach pb9617 says:

How much different does this season look if Horpensky starts the season together and Cole starts on the second line RW?

Oh, someone send Gagner to the presser for a game to “See the ice”

184. PunjabiOil says:

Since we’re in the habit of fast-forwarding to the summer of 2009 – an average class, with the elite most likely signed early on. I’ve outlined the notables:

Pahlsson, Samuel
    Zetterberg, H.
    Hossa, Marian

185. Alice says:

Uh, Linseman…
    jesus!

186. spOILer says:

Did anyone see the shot of veteran Oiler Buchberger up in the PB at the 17:00min mark of the 3rd?

Looked bloody distressed at the 4-2 lead, in a Willard sort of way.

187. Lord Bob says:

My only question is: will he win the Jack Adams trophy or can we somehow find a way to give a coach the Hart?

It actually was a very typical MacTavish game today: he threw crap at the wall and saw what stuck. For the last forty minutes, more of it stuck than not, so he looks like a genius. For the first twenty we looked like an ECHL team, and we all know what happened there.

188. PunjabiOil says:

I’d go with Garon tomorrow. But I also know that MacT won’t.

According to Corey Graham, Garon was out today with the ”flu”

189. slipper says:

That group of players looks pretty good to me.

190. bookie says:

As a really mixed emotions MacT supporter/hater, I think i have figured it out (for me).

I like MacT as a coach…generally.

I HATE the idiotic line blender because I see that when the lines stay together (generally) they work through their problems and become very good.

I dislike some of the favoritism that seems to lead to some players not getting the chances that they should and others getting too many chances. (Roli and Garon)

I dislike that when the team has a bad game that I think he amplifies it by mixing lines and emphasizing the hard nosed aspects of the game and ignores the skill aspects.

So, if the GM can keep him in check on these things (particularly the line juggling and the goalie management) I think it could be supurb.

I think that when times are tough he retreats to these bad habits.

191. spOILer says:

Is flu short for “high ankle strain”?

…They just announced on Sportsnet that Burke has joined the Leaves. Holy Crap, Batman! When the hell did that shake down? That’s a helluva scoop for young what’s her name, I see bright things in her future. Shiny bright things.

She’s got it backwards though…
    The Leafs have joined Brian Burke.

I now blame LaForge for the Oilers’ failurse. How does he let a free agent exec like Burke slip through his fingers?

192. bookie says:

btw, the fact that MacT left the lines alone after the first 20 minutes is a good sign. It shows some maturity.

193. spOILer says:

bookie said…

I think that when times are tough he retreats to these bad habits.

Huh?

194. rickibear says:

“You must learn to forgive minor errors like these if you want others to forgive yours.”
    Ban HBomb

I do not want to be nervous when I am speling.

Hemmsky, Horcof, Pener, Nillson.

No one wants that kind of stres.

195. spOILer says:

Hey, did you just post failurse? Imagine how stupid I feel.

Alice’s Linesman was friggin’ priceless though.

196. Schitzo says:

mc79 – you’re an Ontario lawyer, aren’t you?

Your courts have made a mess of land titles, and I hate you.

197. rickibear says:

“since when has penner been such a playmaker btw?”

Have you watched penner’s passes the last 1 1/4 Years. Crisp puck to stick passes. Skilled passes using the boards to hit players in stride. Just keep Penhorsky together.

198. Tyler says:

What? I’ve vaguely heard something about this but I thought that the banks just ended up getting screwed in the end and everyone was ok with that.

199. gary b says:

OIlers win. nice. but i think the real story is the Burke signing. Shouldn’t this day be declared a national holiday?

sweet jeezus, when did hockey journalists start acting like they were working for TigerBeat Magazine? (replace ‘Burkie’ with ‘Britney’)…

i seriously cannot think of two more SOUR hockey men then Ron Wilson and Brian Burke. maybe they could add Pat Quinn as a consultant, and the three of them can scowl and grumble the Leafs all the way to the Cup.

200. Schitzo says:

Yeah, the banks do get screwed in the end, but it’s the complete opposite of how Torrens is supposed to work.

But then some widows go and lose their homes to fraudsters and we throw out 120 years of jurisprudence because we feel bad.

Sorry, finals next week, starting to stress.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »