Oilers at Red Wings, G18/08-09

This is Greg Joly. He had perhaps the most timely hot streak in the history of the game, emerging from the pack of draft eligibles in 1974 with a jaw-dropping romp through the WHL playoffs and Memorial Cup 1974.

He ended up being the top pick in the draft, the first ever choice of the Washington Capitals. He was ranked as the 7th best pick in the draft by the Hockey News in 1974 (yes, they ranked them back before the wheel) but had a tremendous run that included two goals and two assists as Regina beat Calgary for the 1974 WHL title. Joly then had three assists in the win over Quebec that clinched 1974 Memorial Cup for the Pats.

He had his best games as a pro with the Detroit Red Wings, who got him for Bryan (Bugsy) Watson. Watson is mentioned only as a gnat and RW shadow to Bobby Hull when he’s remembered at all, but he also put in some good seasons along the blue.

I have no idea what to expect of the Edmonton Oilers and their coach tonight. Their record does not jive with the mood of the collective, and as such I can only conclude there are forces at work that we are not privy to at this time.

I remain convinced this is a playoff team.

352 Responses to "Oilers at Red Wings, G18/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. RiversQ says:

12 has been good. So have 10 and 26.

Detroit is ridiculously hard on the puck. Even Z and Datsyuk are tough cookies.

2. Dennis says:

I’m sorry but I can’t get enough of this Hunter guy. It’s gold:)

I like how the 18-78-34 line has a good forechecking shift and then that’s the end of it:)

And if 51 isn’t hurt then he’s in trouble because he’s being singled out again tonight.

I actually had the Oilers only trailing 7-6 in chances in that frame. Right off the bat 13 missed the net on a great chance and then 78 did the same from the deep slot. Later on both guys had great chances again though Conks made excellent saves on both guys.

I’m sorta in the camp now of where I wouldn’t mind the Oilers getting beat down for a couple of games just as long as it means macT will stop trying to develop and he’ll just give the kids the shelter and let everything else run it’s course.

The other thing is that we’re getting less with more on our PP and and you’d feel at least somewhat hopeful if we were down by just two and not three.

3. Tyler says:

Well MacT is doing the right thing if he doesn’t really think that the Oilers are a playof contender.

4. Coach pb9617 says:

Who are these jokers on the intermission report? Is this a high school broadcast?

5. fireside says:

Maybe you don’t understand it.
    But if you’re a natural man,
    You got to ball and have a good time. And that’s what I call Choogling.

6. hunter1909 says:

“I blame society” MacT postgame comment

7. Dennis says:

Also, I’m not even sure who’s backing up tonight but if it’s garon, don’t you get him in there and get him ready for tomorrow night at Colu?

Just to knock a bit of rust off?

Hunter: what do you make of Pat Laforge? Are you like and you’re expecting him to burst into the SN West studio and start selling playoff ticket packages for 2011?

8. hunter1909 says:

“Kids. Lousy kids.” MacT

9. mc79hockey says:

I’m just going to assume that hunter1909 is Dustin Penner.

10. Dennis says:

It appears that Brodziak is stuck in Lodi again.

He can share the rent with Richard Simmons-Penner.

11. Coach pb9617 says:

Who do you have your eye on coach? It looks like Vic’s little program doesn’t crank out the magic until after the game but 10/12 have had a number of good shifts. Hell 10 put one together with 46 and 78.

I’ve got 10, 12, 71, 77 and 37 marked so far as being top notch.

13 and 26 had one stinker, but have been really strong and 78 has been solid.

12. hunter1909 says:

Pat Laforge and me go way back.

He used to reply to my emails demanding a coaching change from MacT long before Ty Conklin won his first vezina trophy.

13. doritogrande says:

Mudcrutch.

Penner, no.

The Hockey Jesus….perhaps. At least he seems to fit the bill to me.

14. Coach pb9617 says:

MacT noodling around aside, I just don’t see it. The only way they get matchup is if the other team has just one or two lines.

Which is why 89 can’t play pivot now or for a season or two. He has to be hidden on the wing for the softies.

And if he makes one more no look drop pass he should be hidden in the PB. I don’t know why, but that kid is starting to peeve me again.

15. mc79hockey says:

Detroit’s not a bad team at all. Funny, I’m kind of the polar opposite of Oilers fans here – I expected little from this team this year but through 17.67 games, I’m pretty pleasantly surprised.

16. doritogrande says:

Craig MacTavish looking up at the Joe Louis banners for one last time?

17. Dennis says:

MacT goes out on the bench three full minutes before the rest of his team. I don’t know if this is uncommon but I’d think so given that SN West decided to highlight it pre-period.

Looking forward to the podcast!

18. hunter1909 says:

Yeah, Detroit’s not bad. But we won 5 cups lol

19. Coach pb9617 says:

coach: Watching those Montreal PP goals, I would suggest the one constant is that the PK unit is almost invariably moving, IE shifting coverage, as Souray gets his shot off. He doesn’t always have a ton of room, but that seam is being opened and that can only happen as a result of the PK needing to respect other options.

That’s exactly right. The play is always happening away from Souray, not being funneled through him. He’s a “HOLY SHIT LOOK HOW OPEN THAT GUY IS” option, not the main man. The power play was handled exclusively by Kovalev high and entering the zone and Koivu low and on the side boards. Souray just hung out an waited.

Someone send the oilers this conversation.

20. hunter1909 says:

I want to see MacT in NHL 2010 as a demonic robot avenger kind of character.

21. Coach pb9617 says:

It appears that Brodziak is stuck in Lodi again.

One of the most underrated songs ever.

And another good ES shift for 78, 77 and 37.

22. hunter1909 says:

Maybe Katz’s real plan is to drive the team into the ground so he can turn Rexall Place into the world’s biggest drugstore.

Look! MacT is already being paid off in free meds!

23. Coach pb9617 says:

Hm, Gilbert and Grebs out again already in lieu of 24-43 I think.

24. Showerhead says:

Here, or in general? I’d say that sentiment echoes mine almost exactly. At the beginning of the year (and today, if asked) I’ve been answering all requisite Oiler playoff chance questions I get asked with “In my mind, it’s a coin flip”.

As another example, I wouldn’t have predicted Edmonton to be .500 after that road trip either. It’s easy to be frustrated though because some of the biggest problems (IE the PP) appear to be systemic.

25. RiversQ says:

Agreed, Tyler. Of course I’m a guy who thought last year’s team was truly awful and they made enough changes to actually earn 9-10 in the WC. Given the schedule they have done awfully well.

26. mc79hockey says:

I don’t know if I’ve ever told this story here but I was at Tony Pena’s last game as manager of the Royals on May 10, 2005. This was a fantastic game for a number of reasons – Doc and Zach Greinke hooked up in a 1:44 beauty.

Anyway, Doc was just rolling, as was Greinke. Comes the top of the ninth and the Jays are up 3-1. Berroa leads off with a double and all of the sudden we’re looking at some trouble. Mike Sweeney comes up and flies out to CF. Berroa somehow gets himself picked off second on the play, which was just unforgiveable, since someone other than him had to score anyway. The Royals go on to lose.

I joke to my buddy that we were going to come to the park the next day and Pena wouldn’t be there because he’d be hanging in the shower in his hotel room. We come the next day and, lo and behold, no Pena. Turns out he resigned instead of suicide but still. Sometimes you’re just fucking sick of seeing the same fucking problems from people.

27. RiversQ says:

Gagner hurt on that hit?

28. doritogrande says:

Oh. Oh fuck.

29. Coach pb9617 says:

How many TKs does 12 have this game? It has to be 7-8 by now.

30. Kish says:

great.

31. doritogrande says:

…I just about threw up. Ankles do not do that naturally.

32. Scott says:

Shades of Marty Reasoner. Sick.

33. PDO says:

Looks like 34 is done for 6-8 weeks, at least. I like how Debrusk is making it sound like it’d be better if it’s ligaments than a break…. breaking it is far, far, better.

Tomorrow…

12 – 10 – 83
    18 – 13 – 26
    27 – 78 – 89
    … who cares?

34. hunter1909 says:

MacT looked brave, when he crossed Pisani’s name off his player list.

35. mc79hockey says:

Huh, well that’s weird, what with yesterday being the seventh anniversary of Smyth’s broken ankle against Chicago.

36. doritogrande says:

scott: I thought that too when I saw him go into the boards. But you have to remember it was Reasoner’s knee, and that was Pisani’s ankle that was just shattered in ways I don’t even want to think about.

37. mc79hockey says:

I don’t want to say MacT is playing for tomorrow but the fourth line has seemed to have a lot of shifts this period.

38. hunter1909 says:

This is what I’d imagine a Golden Seals v Canadiens game like in the early 70s. The Seals manage to drag the Canadiens down to their level by the third period.

39. mc79hockey says:

Heh – looking at the CBC story about Smyth’s injury. Apparently he came back to the bench in that game. Quite a guy.

40. Coach pb9617 says:

12 is playing out of his mind tonight.

And with Fernie out, looks like 85 has a permanent place up on the roster.

12-10-83
    27-13-26
    18-78-85
    89-51-46

41. doritogrande says:

Is that what Bobby Orr used to do to teams?

42. Scott says:

Detroit commentator (in a subdued pitying tone): oh mh… oh my God.

43. Coach pb9617 says:

yuck. desperation play leads to that one. Roloson trying to shove it high like that – unless you’re Brodeur, you aren’t making that pass clean.

44. doritogrande says:

My bet’s on the Oilers trying to sneak Potulny through waivers immediately following this game.

45. Scott says:

Also: “Wings with there first four goal lead of the season.”

Wonderful.

46. hunter1909 says:

This is when some lucky fan wins “a chance” to win a million on Safeway’s score and win

47. hunter1909 says:

The Wings announcers have really been nice tonight.

48. hunter1909 says:

I hope the Blue Jackets announcers are as nice as the Wings announcers are being tonight.

49. Bruce says:

Hmmm, so far, so not good. Tough night at the office. Boys against men. Harsh lesson. [Insert cliche here.]

50. hunter1909 says:

You know the game is over – when the Oilers player earnestly shoots the puck from half way inside his own zone.

51. hunter1909 says:

Oilers are playing for the coach now.

52. mc79hockey says:

The pressure that the Wings put on the points has been unreal. It must fucking rot MacT from the inside out to see Conklin shutting him out.

53. doritogrande says:

Pop-fly to center-ice.

54. hunter1909 says:

First place prize in the latest draw – a pair of tickets to the Oilers next home game.

Second prize – two pairs of tickets.

55. Coach pb9617 says:

It’s easy to do when you know your opponent is going to keep the puck up high constantly.

56. doritogrande says:

Staios: “Hey Dwayne, helmet’s off dude.”

Roli: “Huh?”

57. Showerhead says:

Would that be Roloson’s first bat that didn’t come during either a) a penalty kill or b) at the end of the game while protecting a lead?

The guy’s pissed off, if you get my meaning.

58. mc79hockey says:

As long as you’re pulling the double posts hunter, everything since about 3PM can go.

59. hunter1909 says:

Conklin player of the game LMAOOOOOO

60. mc79hockey says:

Oh yeah, no doubt. MacT et al have to ask themselves why this keeps happening though.

61. Bruce says:

That Liam Reddox is the best player to wear 85 for the Oilers since Petr Klima.

62. hunter1909 says:

It was a mistake. Honest

63. Jonathan says:

Does anyone remember that episode of The Office where Dwight quits and Andy moves beside Jim?

Jim says something along the lines of “I miss Dwight. You win, universe.”

I miss Traktor.

64. Coach pb9617 says:

Deference to vets/contracts?

65. Jonathan says:

Hey, Tyler, what does it feel like to be retroactively right about Conklin?

66. mc79hockey says:

I don’t think that that’s the problem. They’re too predictable out there with that point move. The Wings didn’t even pretend to care about the possibility of the Oilers going down low on the PP. Of course, they never fucking do, so why would they. You could practically see the D furrowing their brows, in a vain attempt to understand why it was so hard to get the puck down low.

67. Bruce says:

“This one’s a little out of reach”

When did we get Charlie Simmer on Oilers games?

68. mc79hockey says:

Aw, I’m happy for Conklin. Much as I bitch about G1 of the finals, that had to be a pretty miserable season for him, he faced the music and acquitted himself honourably. What more can you ask for? He seems like a good person.

69. Jonathan says:

If MacTavish keeps Moreau and Cole with Horcoff, as seems reasonable, does that mean:

Nilsson – Gagner – Hemsky
    Moreau – Horcoff – Cole
    Penner – Cogliano – Reddox
    Brodziak – Pouliot – Potulny

70. hunter1909 says:

At least Cogliano was defensively responsible.

71. Jonathan says:

Tyler: Agreed on Conklin. Always felt bad for the guy, and I was very glad he did well in Pittsburgh.

Also, to everyone: how bad did the Pisani injury look?

72. mc79hockey says:

That’s actually not a horn you hear going off, it’s the sound of the HF server exploding.

73. Bruce says:

Who needs The Dominator when they got Ty Conklin?

74. hunter1909 says:

“scoring goals…anyone can do that” MacT

75. Jonathan says:

“Playing defensively – anyone can do that.” – Alexandre Daigle.

76. Coach pb9617 says:

Odd that the only power play to generate serious chances were 89-13-12-37-77

Okay, not odd.

77. Quain says:

I eagerly await the Desjardins equivalencies for normal game day threads to Hunter-inflated game day threads. It has to be something like .65, at least.

78. hunter1909 says:

if this were English soccer Oilers would be headed toward the relegation zone.

79. kinger says:

I can’t WAIT for the post game podcast.

80. Kris says:

Jonathon:

Penner and Cole don’t seem to work. Penner is a cycle guy, better to put him with Cole and Horc.

Moreau’s got the wheels to play with Cogliano.

In the end, the chemistry at forward is all wrong no matter how you draw the lines up. We need to trade to become either a team that scores with speedy, slick play or to become a real grind it out group. As of right now, we’re trying and failing to do both.

81. Coach pb9617 says:

Nilsson – Gagner – Hemsky

No. 89 is not a top line center.

12-10-83
    27-13-26
    18-51-78
    85-89-46

Two lines that can carry the mail, especially if 12 plays with 3/4 of the go he had tonight. 18-51-78 is a scary line to throw out after a power play, but it’s the only way to get two real lines.

82. Jonathan says:

if this were English soccer Oilers would be headed toward the relegation zone.

Along with Phoenix, Colorado, L.A., Dallas, St. Louis, New Jersey, Toronto, Philadelphia, Atlanta, New York, Tampa Bay, Ottawa and Florida.

83. hunter1909 says:

“Speaking of which, would Dave Tippet, Andy Murray, Brent Sutter, Ron Wilson or John Stevens be better or worse coaches than MacT?”

As of tonight, Dick Cheney would be a better coach for this team than MacT.

84. Jonathan says:

But Tippet and Stevens had conference finalist teams! Neither is ahead of Edmonton – thus, they must be worse coaches, yes?

Or can we accept the fact that NHL teams’ records are determined by more than the head coach?

85. Bruce says:

I think we need Schremp as player-coach. There’s a good simplistic solution for all the world’s problems.

86. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m still convinced that 6 guys had their best games of the season this evening.

87. Kris says:

Oy Hunter. Some of what you say is interesting and/or funny, but man, we get it already. You are mad. Okay, got it.

I think the difference between a forum like this and HF or ON is that the posters here aren’t just looking to entertain or joke with each other -though some of that occurs, no doubt. Instead, people here are trying to engage in insightful, objective, fair, discussion of the game.

I want to keep reading your insight, but if you keep throwing out the same quips, I’m going to ignore what you’re saying. And I don’t want to do that, because you seem to have something to contribute.

88. Traktor says:

All I have to say is that I’m not Hunter.

89. Angela says:

in 21 seasons before MacT the oilers had been shut out 46 times or 2.2 times per year this includes the ron lowe years…in the 6 and a quarter seasons since he’s taken over the oilers have been shut out 38 times or 6.1 times per year…

No offense but I think its time to make a change…

90. hunter1909 says:

I’m sorry Kris.

I’ll stfu.

91. Dennis says:

I don’t mind Conks either but I have a hard time forgiving him for not taking it seriously during the lockout season and then coming back in less than good shape for the ’06 season. On our team alone we had Peca and Pronger admitting they did the same thing but Conks was the last guy I’d expect to “big-time” it during the layoff. I’ve always wondered if he was just lazy or perhaps he looked at the Oilers depth chart post Salo and said, “who the fuck ELSE are they going to go with.”?

You know, I can see all the reasons why 8-8-2 after 18 games isn’t so bad considered it’s been a road heavy sked early on and I myself have said let’s get to Dec 7th and then we’ll go from there; the club plays it’s 26th game on Dec 6th in SJ and it will be their 18th road game out of 26th overall.

But there are things that I can’t get behind like sacrificing results for Gagner or not using six forwards on the PK and pressuring down-ice and then there’s the plan for our PP.

I guess maybe my problem is I’ve become impatient with the Oilers endless well of patience. And I can no longer content myself with losses in Det with the fact they’re spending 30 to 40 mill more then we are.

We’re paying 44/27 ~ 10 mill a year and we are close to and can top out just as well as anyone else.

The worst thing about all of this is that if mac IS canned, Lowe won’t go with him.

He’ll just go back to selling the Monorail.

92. mc79hockey says:

93. Lord Bob says:

94. Showerhead says:

angela – really? of all the possible stats you could use to snipe at the coach, you chose that one? I’m reasonably pro MacT, but from your perspective isn’t this kind of like barging into the Charles Manson trial and fighting through security just to tell the jury that he was a lousy tipper?

95. Angela says:

“Another interesting point: there had never been a terrorist attack in the United States like 9/11 before MacT became head coach of the Oilers.”

also a good point…

96. Bruce says:

No offense but I think its time to make a change…

“No offense” … I get it.

That’s two in the punalty box for you, Angela.

97. Kris says:

How about:

Penner-Cole-Horc (Heavy Lifting)
    Nilson-Cogliano-Hemsky (Softies)
    Moreau-Brodziak-Pouliot (Medium)
    Reddox-Brule-Gagner (When the other team is asleep)

I know, there’s no tough guy, but if the Oil are going to be a team without one guy like Iginla who carries the mail offensively, they need to roll four lines and no tough guy we have, including Stortini is better than anybody above. (I know Bruce, Stortini is okay, and he can sub-in in a pinch. I gues you could sub him in on the 4th line and I’d be okay.)

I guess maybe I should flip Reddox and Pouliot, but I’m too lazy to retype this.

It’s funny, you watch enough sports while drinking beer and patterns develop.

Like right now with Craig MacTavish having sent Penner to the woodshed just a day ago and now he’s got to step up to the mic and say something that doesn’t begin with “fuck me.”

It never works. It just never does. Ripping people, even before these guys made more than the coach, never made any G. D. sense.

Short term, once in awhile, sure.

But you can’t keep screaming at people and expect it to have a huge impact. MacT doesn’t have many things left in the tickle trunk now.

99. oilerdago says:

Coming to the fun late. Caught the 3rd period and the Detroit announcers described the Oil’s effort best – “lethargic”.

Before Hunter fires the Coach again, does MacT throw up his hands and start playing some guys in their natural positions now that some of logjam at RW is cleared?

I like Jonathan’s solution best so far.

100. J. Moore says:

thanks hunter1909, but don’t come back.

101. Kris says:

No No, Hunter plaese don’t stfu. Rather, give us more of your insight and a little less rhetoric. (Some of the rhetoric is funny too man, I get being self deprecating)

102. Bruce says:

Scary play involving Jason Arnott tonight. Headfirst into the net, carried off on a stretcher. Martine: “He does have movement in all his extremities which is obviously very good news.”

103. Angela says:

well if you look at it…thats 6 games per year that your team has no chance of winning…8 percent of the season that is just given away…when you think that the oiler have missed the playoffs by 3 points or less in 3 of those 6 years it becomes significant…

104. Coach pb9617 says:

All I have to say is that I’m not Hunter.

Oh for pete we missed you.

105. mc79hockey says:

Angela – why don’t you go check how many shutouts the Oilers goalies put up in the first 21 years, how many they’ve put up with MacT in net and let us know if that affects your analysis.

106. Scott says:

Confirmation on CHED that Pisani has a broken ankle.

107. Coach pb9617 says:

That made me laugh out loud. Really, not just LOL.

108. mc79hockey says:

Traktor! While you’re here can I have an update on Cogliano’s shooting percentage? Don’t forget to add in tonights shots.

109. Traktor says:

“Confirmation on CHED that Pisani has a broken ankle.”

Dive for 5?

110. Coach pb9617 says:

Awwwww man, would that be epic.

“Well fuck me. I really thought throwing our best power play scorer under the bus would work. Fuhuuuuuck me.”

111. Kris says:

I think Pisani can play with a broken ankle. Boulerice has two totally healthy ankles; just take one of his.

112. Coach pb9617 says:

False.

24, 43, 44, 51, 89, 18 and to an extent 83 were lethargic.

But 37, 77, 71, 12, 10, 26, 13 were on.

85 was a bit invisible, but it’s like asking a little much to keep up with big brothers who are on.

78 was up and down and 46 was blah.

12 just had a monster game tonight that’s going to be lost.

113. mc79hockey says:

Boulerice has two totally healthy ankles; just take one of his.

I’m pretty sure that teams are allowed to do that under the current CBA.

I still don’t know what MacT is doing this season with his comments. They really didn’t play that badly Saturday night, he even said so in the podcast.

Next morning Matheson catches him on the plane (apparently) and the coach flies another sortie to bomb London one more time.

Is MacT using his whole brain? Is he getting direction from ownership ala TBay?

I want to know, have you ever seen the rain, coming down on a sunny day?

115. mc79hockey says:

Well, just to play devil’s advocate, maybe the team has decided that Penner is worthless playing as he is and they’re out of tricks with him. This could be a last ditch swing for the fences to see if anything can trigger a reaction.

116. Traktor says:

MC: Around 10% I think. He had a couple more high quality chances again tonight that he didn’t bury but as I’ve said all along, “The ability to generate scoring chances is more important than a number on a grid”.

Horcoff is up to 2 EV points I believe. Good for Horc. Doubled his production since the last time we talked.

MacTavish is proving everything I said about him for the past 3 years to be right and his lackeys wrong.

I’ll be back when Horc nets his 3rd EV point (don’t wait up for me).

117. Slipper says:

Fuck.

But why now? The team got through that road trip okay and are within spitting distance of the rest of the NW even with Penner playing as he was before they retired him.

It’s very curious timing and I honestly believe there’s something going on we don’t know about re: the Oilers and who makes the decisions.

119. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m pretty sure that teams are allowed to do that under the current CBA.

Nope, only the Devils.

120. Slipper says:

Could you take Hunter with you?

121. Angela says:

41 shut outs by the oil before Mac and 36 after mac…so it keeps pretty close…but there were zero terrorist attacks before macT so I stand by my point…

122. Scott says:

With Pisani injured, I will fear that Ladislav Smid draws in at forward and Penner sits in the PB. I hope it doesn’t happen, but boy, I hope they interview Penner from the PB if it happens.

123. mc79hockey says:

The EV shooting percentage with Horc on the ice at the moment stinks. Nothing’s going in. They’ve taken 124 shots with Horcoff on the ice and just 6.1% of them have gone in. Horc is piling up the shots – 37 ES shots – and on pace for a career high in ESS/60. Last year they went in. This year he’s battling. He’s also coming off shoulder surgery.

What’s so hard with accepting that guys go up and down? It seems implicit in your comment about Cogliano (and certianly in the way that you pop in here whenever he scores a goal to update his S%) that you realize that. I don’t get it.

124. kinger says:

PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP PODCAST UP

125. Derek says:

No… Jam?

Allow me to throw myself in the firing range for a moment. I notice its been discussed at length that penner has been solid defensively this season and a large part of the reason he hasn’t produced offensively is because he’s not getting much power play time. So he gets sat along with Brodziak who I feel hasn’t played that poorly this season either. Brodziak while being no Dustin Penner isn’t a small guy either.

This is followed by talk of putting Ladislav Smid on the wing.

Why doesn’t Mactavish just come out and say that he wants guys to start knocking the piss out of the opposition?

On a team with a lot of small forwards the big guys aren’t even rubbing up against opposing D-men on the forecheck.

They’re not a hard team to play against at all. Down 4-0 late in the third they’re still getting pushed around the opposition.

I suppose its partially understandable what with how lame the PK is.

I’m not that upset at the loss, Detroit is the best team in the league, just a little disappointed noone wearing blue seems to get mad ( Unless you’re Souray hacking at Homers feet ).

A fair podcast from the coach, mentioned the disaster at the beginning (5-on-3) and the fact they can’t score.

Suspect we’ll see changes tomorrow but have no idea what they’ll be. Maybe Horcoff on D.

127. mc79hockey says:

Sounds to me like he’s improved Edmonton’s shutoutingness more than he’s caused a spike in gettingshutoutedness. Give the man a raise.

128. mc79hockey says:

Given that Smid has a concussion, that would really send a message.

129. kinger says:

Boring.

130. mc79hockey says:

Horc had an interesting comment that I agree with – the Oilers had 12 chances through the second, resulting in five shots at net.

131. Traktor says:

MC: Horc is getting what he deserves. His contract was a by-product of hard work but now he he just stands around in the offensive zone with his stick 6 feet in the air waiting for 1 timers thinking he’s Heatley. He needs to start crashing the net and getting dirty. The last I looked he only had 2 hits all season.

132. Coach pb9617 says:

But he’s also responsible for global warming.

133. mc79hockey says:

Traktor – why is he getting so many shots on goal then? I mean, if you’re right, shouldn’t his shots be down?

He had 15 hits in 53 games last year. I don’t know that this is really a big deal.

134. Coach pb9617 says:

And three missed nets from inside of 12 feet.

135. Doogie2K says:

Watching Boston the past few games, I saw a perfectly functioning hockey club. Ditto Montreal.

Okay, I dunno about Boston, but that there’s not exactly true of Montreal. They’ve been playing only marginally better than the Oilers — both in terms of team play and consistency — this season, and Carbo’s rightfully crucified them for believing their own press. The difference is, they have more depth and F and D and two good goalies. You can paper over a lot with what they’ve got.

As for the game, well, I forgot to set the PVR, came home at 8, saw the score, and realized that fortune had intervened. Ick.

Well the Oilers have certainly turned it around. There’s NOTHING like going public to get those millionaire’s to take notice.

Funny thing: when you point to someone’s salary as a way of trying to motivate them it usually has the opposite effect.

If the Oilers ever did anything anywhere OTHER than on the blueline they might just stretch that box open once in a while but apparently we’re not going to see that one in 2008.

Funny thing #2: For about half a second a few games ago I thought teams would start to game plan for the cross-seam 83-10 one-time pass, given that 10 had scored three times on it already. Silly me. (Meanwhile, clever people figured out two years ago that Kovalev was the straw that stirred Montreal’s PP drink, and that as he goes, it goes.)

Whoa, Tyler… .906… you’re not suggesting Ty Conklin is… an average NHL goaltender???

Put another way, his save percentage since leaving Edmonton is 0.912, and since signing with Pittsburgh, 0.922. He’s been a boon for my fantasy team.

The kind of hugging that causes flies to be trapped in amber.

Anyone with me here? You picking up what I’m putting down?

You want to smother them all to death in sap and start over?

To conclude: I see the bad moon a-risin’. I see trouble on the way.

136. Coach pb9617 says:

You know — with the way that Nilsson played tonight, I think they could run a PvP with 27-10-83 and then run 12-13-26 as the second option. All three were just flying tonight.

137. Dennis says:

I don’t mind following along As Long As I Can See The Light;) but what I find ironic is when MacT DID have 34 at his tough minute disposal, he spent some of that fucking around with him at pivot instead of giving a push to a solid low GAON/60 guy like 78; along with eventually trying to fit 89 into a tough min hole.

Well now 34′s gone for a couple of months and all of MacT’s plans are gone for naught.

And count me among the crowd that thinks he killed 27 in the press because they thought they were out of options.

138. Fake Craig McTavish says:

MC

“The EV shooting percentage with Horc on the ice at the moment stinks. Nothing’s going in. They’ve taken 124 shots with Horcoff on the ice and just 6.1% of them have gone in. Horc is piling up the shots – 37 ES shots”

You really need to look at the quality of shots or that doesn’t mean a great deal. Firing a shot into the the goalies chest protector doesn’t work all that often and that’s what he’s doing.

MacT is starting to call them “muffins”.

He’s right.

139. HBomb says:

Hey look kids! There’s Big Ben! And there’s Parliament!

140. HBomb says:

Ok, Pisani gone, broken ankle, three months. Fuck.

Now to try and cobble together some sort of lineup.

Cogliano-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Penner-Gagner-Nilsson
    Moreau-Pouliot-Cole
    Brule-Brodziak-Stortini

That’s how I’d roll out the forwards. First and third lines take the toughs. Flip Penner and Cogliano if need be.

Oh, and fire MacTavish. If tonight’s “effort” wasn’t proof that the team is tuning him out, I do not know what is.

141. Bank Shot says:

I don’t know what all the moaning about the PP is for. The Oilers are soldily average in that category and pretty much downright terrible at everything else.

I thought Rolie ket in a couple of soft ones tonight. Let’s see Garon again already. He had one bad game against Vancouver, and let in one softy against Colorado before the team rolled over on him in Pittsburgh. Mactavish has all the time in the world for Gagner, and the Pisani experiment, but pulls the rug out from under Garon in a heartbeat.

No surprise that the team is as inconsistent as the coach.

142. Doogie2K says:

MacT is starting to call them “muffins”.

He’s right.

I was talking to Ender on Skype during the Colorado game, and he was ranting about how every Oilers shot seemed to be either wide of the net or square into Budaj’s chest.

Without fail, every damned shot did precisely that for at least the next ten game minutes. Unreal.

I don’t know what all the moaning about the PP is for.

Because Sheldon Souray is The Power Play. There barely seem to be any other options, and that’s no way to run a PP in any era, in any league. Many of the results that have the Oilers in the middle of the pack were either down low plays (83 to 10, as I mentioned before, along with some timely rebound goals by 12 and 89) or individual efforts (83, at least two or three times). And despite this, the PP continues to be funnelled through 44′s stick, and it’s crazymaking. At least if the Oilers persued the down-low play more than once in a great while, the opposition would be fooled when 44 let loose.

143. Oilmaniac says:

“Lord Bob said…
    If there’s a ‘Make Rob Schremp Coach of the Oilers’ group on Facebook, I will join it.”

HAHA…

144. raventalon40 says:

I second that motion.

145. raventalon40 says:

Lord Bob & Bruce:

I was bored – Make Rob Schremp Coach of the Oilers Group has now been created.

146. Dennis says:

HB: That’s as good a start as anything. I really liked the 13-26 chem but that has to be put aside now so that we can try and build two lines to hang at EV that Doesn’t include Sam Gagner.

So, I’d put 27 with 10-83 just to show him that he does have a chance to redeem himself, I’d have a checking line of 18-78-26 and then I’d put the Kids back together again.

And I like the idea of bringing up Brule because if there was a past issue that he only had so many games before his waiver exemption expired well that should no longer an an issue with Smac and Pisani out for ~ three months apiece.

Bring up Brule, send back Reddox and keep Boulerice around as the 13th.

147. Doogie2K says:

@Raven: Nice. Joined.

148. Ribs says:

I like it.

What a crummy game to watch. The Oilers looked out of their league last night. They were beaten everywhere all night long and honestly I don’t know what they could have done about it other than ‘be better’ and ‘not suck on the PK’. Is that enough to win that game? I’m not even sure.

Nilsson was flying out there. He’s officially out of his slump, for now, methinks. It’s time to reunite the kids.

Visnovsky seemed to be more open to setting up Souray this game. Good.

Souray played well but didn’t bring his game-breaker game. The more shots the merrier for him. Now if they could only find someone to gather up those rebounds and shove them in the net. This is what needs to be worked on with the PP. Guys need to move their feet when Souray’s blasting it. The goalie isn’t going to know where the puck is. Montreal does this very well…as does Calgary.

Muffin shots. MacT rules.

149. Bruce says:

Dustin Penner?

150. Ribs says:

Penner’s good for screening the goalie but we need some movement around the circles to get the bouncier stuff.

Besides, Penner on the PP is poppycock…right?

151. Bruce says:

Ribs: Don’t disagree on the movement, but Penner’s team-leading 13 PPG last year suggests he did alright cleaning up the garbage.

To put that in perspective, in 2007-08 Penner was 15th in the NHL in PPG. No other Oiler was in the Top 60. No Oiler was in the Top 60 in ESG either. So we had one weapon in offensive situations who was anything close to an elite-level finisher, and this year he’s not playing in that situation? Makes no sense to me.

152. Ribs says:

Makes no sense to me either, Bruce. Penner should definitely be on the ice in those situations.

Having one guy that can finish is what’s unacceptable. Especially if he’s parked in front of the net where he’ll be taking lower percentage shots. Guys need to be moving at all times and at least be in motion when the rebounds pop out. It’s been a pretty big flaw of the powerplay for a long time.

The younger guys seem to know how to get there it seems. Maybe they can influence the direction the PP goes in the future.

« Older Comments