Oilers at Stars, G23/08-09

Mike Modano is the face of the (North) Star franchise and I don’t know how many decades it’ll take before someone replaces him as the best player to lace up the skates for a Stars team.

My guess: a few.

Modano has always marched to his own beat, even early on when he turned down scholarship offers in order to play for the Prince Albert Raiders of the WHL.You can look long and hard and not find many hockey players who starred for Detroit Compuware one season (66 goals in 69 games at age 15) and the Prince Albert Raiders the following year (32 goals in 70 games).

Modano’s career has had some minor glitches (he lost the Calder to Sergei Makarov before the NHL closed up the age gap) but there’s little doubt he’s the best American hockey player ever.

I’ve never cheered for Mike Modano but always respected him as a player. Impossible to cheer for because he was usually beating the Oilers brains in (don’t even debate this with me. Seriously, I don’t want to talk about the Dallas Stars) Modano did it with such grace, style and skill only a blind man (or a stupid one) would be unable to give him his due.

I’m glad to have been a hockey fan while Mike Modano played in the league. It would have been more fun if he’d been an Oiler, though.

A big victory yesterday with Shawn Horcoff playing the Modano role. Whenever someone rips Horcoff I always say “your opinion of Shawn Horcoff says more about you than it does about Shawn Horcoff” which isn’t very nice but it’s true.

The Oilers problem isn’t Shawn Horcoff: it’s that they don’t have enough Shawn Horcoff’s. They need a $1.6M Shawn Horcoff now that the actual Shawn Horcoff is getting the big dough.

That’s the role Marc Pouliot should be filling, the role Kyle Brodziak might be able to fill, the role Edmonton will address when they trade Dwayne Roloson.

365 Responses to "Oilers at Stars, G23/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. GSC says:

Curtis Glencross fulfilled this “$1.6 MIL Horcoff” role perfectly.

Kevin Lowe simply refused to acknowledge it and kept those precious dollars to himself.

GSC: I remember the Glencross thing, it was because they (Oilers management) were still holding out hope they’d get the prettiest girl in school (Hossa).

Bad move, no doubt.

3. Kyle says:

Better than the Golden Brett?

Kyle: Oh yeah, easily. Brett Hull’s great seasons were in St. Louis, he was quality in Dallas but Modano outscored him (I believe) in all of Hull’s seasons in Dallas.

5. dave says:

In his peak I thought of him as one of the top 5 players in the world. In the playoffs I don’t know what was worse, playing in Dallas or home with Modano on our ice. I think he enjoyed oiler ice more any oiler through those years.

6. Coach pb9617 says:

but there’s little doubt he’s the best American hockey player ever.

I could swear that Debrusk was arguing yesterday that in the long run Tkachuk would be remembered as the better American player. I was watching my daughter and the game, so I wasn’t completely tuned into it. I thought he said that and my head snapped around with a “WTF?” look on it.

Jeff Deslauriers apparently starts today. If he plays well, I suspect we’ll see a trade this week. …Edmonton will address when they trade Dwayne Roloson.

I hinted at that same notion in the hockey jesus thread last night about JDD starting. If he comes up with a game, I bet Garon is gone. If it’s Roloson, I would wonder heavily about Mac’s tenure here. When the GM trades the guy that the coach leans on most in tough times, it says something.

Dad says that since Tonelli (Fernie) went down, there is no hope for Pouliot or Brodziak to be Merrick on a new-fangled Banana line.

7. Coach pb9617 says:

I think he enjoyed oiler ice more any oiler through those years.

He’s the player I despise most and respect most in this league.

And yeah, I agree with you about the ice. In full flight, I think maybe only Devo could compare to him on that ice, but no one looked nearly as fluid going full speed.

8. Lord Bob says:

Sorry, Lowetide. Arguing with you about old hockey players is a loser’s game, but I’d rather have Brett Hull and Brian Leetch over Modano ten times out of ten.

Modano had better long-term value than either of those guys, but he never spent a second of his life as one of the two best players at his position. He probably never spent a second of his live as one of the five best players at his position

9. HBomb says:

Greatest American ever?

Well, we won’t count that Hull fellow, since he was born in Canada.

But I’ve got three names that I think have an argument over Modano:

1. Mike Richter
    2. Brian Leetch
    3. Pat LaFontaine

Whenever I have this argument, for me, it always comes back to being Richter, even though he was a goalie. But a damn fine goalie nonetheless.

Some would argue Roenick or Tkachuk are in the discussion. I don’t think so.

10. Coach pb9617 says:

Lord Bob and HBomb, you guys are bitter and broken from years of Modano pounding on the Oil. He was the greatest American player ever and the only one in the discussion with him should be Leetch.

Yeah I’d agree with coach on this all down the line. Leetch is the next guy in the discussion but it’s a ways. Richter is a marginal HOFer by any measure and Patty Lafontaine was a rocket but lost his career.

If we argue “peak value” only then Lafontaine is certainly a factor.

12. HBomb says:

Bitter? Slightly.

But I’m looking at this objectively.

LaFontaine’s career got derailed five years early because of injury. Richter was an all-world goalie who came up huge in big games. And Leetch won the damn Norris (which, since 1982 or thereabouts, has only been won by a whole bunch of first ballot Hall of Famers).

It’s not a clear cut win for Modano.

13. Lord Bob says:

Yeah, because Hull didn’t beat on the Oilers. Oh, wait. :P

Far from being bitter, I think us Oiler fans got a better-than-usual look at Modano, so we can be counted on for reliable analysis!

Regarding the game tonight: has anybody yet found an update on Visnovsky’s injury status?

14. Dennis says:

For what seemed like decades the Oilers were the Generals and the Stars were the Globetrotters. Hard to explain to the young fellas how the Oilers couldn’t even get 20 shots during a game in Dallas let alone win.

Asthetically, Modano has to be one of the most enjoyable players of our era and perhaps even of all time.

15. quain says:

I vaguely recall this conversation, but I think he was just arguing Tkachuk would finish with more points on the basis that Tkachuk has a few more good seasons left in him than Modano.

Dennis: I understand it’s on Strachan’s list for this week.

17. HBomb says:

If the Oilers trade Garon, it’s a case of looking at the short term as being more important than the long term. It would be a mistake.

And some research revealed to me something fascinating: Pat Lafontaine, over his career, score about 1.17 points per game. Mike Modano? 0.97 points per game.

However, Modano has played roughly 500 games more. And counting.

18. Black Dog says:

Stupid Dallas Stars.

Regarding Glencross when the talk was 1.8 per I thought it was nuts but when he signed with the Flames I became a little more antsy.

I’d be alright with it was an isloated miss – teams make bets on players and sometimes they lose.

But three summers of Lowe making mistakes makes it a lot more frustrating.

Watched the game last night – he’s playing against the Sedins with Bourque and Conroy and doing well. Also on the PK.

He’s had a nice fifty games or so and when he doesn’t score he’s still a plus out there.

Oh well.

19. Lord Bob says:

Going to play devil’s advocate here.

Garon is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. We can all agree that he’s in line for a pretty good raise. If you were trading one of them you’d want to trade Roloson, but is that even possible at this stage of Roloson’s career?

Meanwhile, Garon’s contract might be running out but it’s a cheap contract, making it tempting for teams that need goaltending help but are up against the cap. The return could be pretty lucrative.

20. HBomb says:

Lord Bob: interesting angle you have, and it’s got merit.

I look at it from the point of view of what helps the Oilers in net beyond this year. I think their best bet to secure a starter would be to extend Garon for 2 more years at a reasonable rate.

You trade him, you’ve basically said to the world that you’re going to be in the goaltender market this summer for someone to tandem with JDD. Because Roloson’s not coming back.

21. Dennis says:

I can’t remember where my breaking point was but there was a point where I said I wouldn’t pay him and I’d just let him walk. But it seems like he wound up signing for a reasonable amount in Cgy and yet we signed Stortini to a 17 year deal.

Glencross might be the latest Jan Hejda; the hockey eqiv to that nerdy girl with glasses who’s gonna be hot when she gets contacts and she really likes you but you’re too stupid to see it.

Think Rachel Leigh Cook in She’s All That;)

In any case I’d blame Lowe for both those misses but that guy won six cups as a player so that makes him a good GM.

And his nickname was Vish!!

BTW, I’m glad that I no longer have to pretend to like stupid movies so that I can score:)

HB: Modano wins the battle vs Lafontaine Because of longevity, no doubt.

22. trader says:

Dennis said: BTW, will anyone ever get to the bottom of the case of The Edmonton Oilers and Pete Peeters vs Mathieu Garon?

I agree with Dennis, the whole thing seems strange and it would be interesting to hear what the real story is.

Given some of things that have happened this year with RW playing C, LW playing RW and D-men playing forward who knows what the thinking of the tall foreheads who are in charge really is.

23. Scott says:

As for the best American hockey player ever debate, I’m going to vote for Chris Chelios. He embodies American hockey more than anyone for me. He’s the only guy I can see being a legend of the game regardless of nationality, which I think is important. He only needs to play in about thirty more games this year to lead the all-time list in games played. He’s won three Norris trophies and a bunch of Cups. Dirty players, doesn’t shake hands after losing, freakish longevity. I don’t see how he’s not in on this conversation. Stylistically, I’d take him over Leetch, though I think it’s difficult to say one is clearly better. Comparison with Modano is more difficult since it’s a forward and a defenceman, so for me it’s the persona that pushes Chelios over the top.

24. Coach pb9617 says:

I agree, but what other resolution is possible right now? Garon apparently molested Peeters’ dog or something and hasn’t seen a start since the Oilers were considered a playoff contender.

25. Coach pb9617 says:

Eh, it’s a capped world, it’s not a big deal that people know you need a goalie. Lowe will just sign Fernandez :)

26. Coach pb9617 says:

I actually overlooked Chelios when I considered the question.

27. bookie says:

I am going to offer a different scenario that aligns with LT’s suggestion that Roli will be traded if JDD has a good game. Ok, the management is taking a ‘long term view’ of managing the team (as Detroit does) and they decided to play Roli for a string of games to prove to others in the league that Roli is worth trading for. “Hey, look we were willing to play hime 5 games in a row, he must be good”. MacT gets the message that his job is safe, so don’t worry about playing Roli as opposed to Garon.

The reason I think this is because of the strangeness of it all. Garon sits while MacT praises him (he has said Garon is ready to go for 2 weeks). JDD starts today as opposed to Garon. If they were trying to trade Garon, they would play him against some easy teams (w low shooting percentages like LA) to make him look good.

Garon has to sit and not play, but MacT cannot tell him “We are showcasing Roli for a trade” (cause you cannot do that). So Garon he sits and stews. The emotional damage is undone after the Roli trade because MacT can sit Garon down and say “we wanted to play you, but we were showcasing Roli for the Trade”.

OR, Garon has totally lost it mentally or something. THat is the only other thing that makes sense to me.

In any case, I do suspect that the Oilers will have one less goalie as of next week. I dont think we will get much for whomever moves.

Chelios qualifies in the discussion from the other end (career value) but still falls short of Modano imo.

A long, quality career.

29. bookie says:

If everything went to the Oilers best plans, what is the earliest the Oilers might see a Devan Dubnyk/JDD goalie lineup? What are the odds of this ever happening?

30. Coach pb9617 says:

Fine, you are showcasing him. What does that have to do with Garon sitting for 24 days? I mean, you can showcase Roloson and give Garon work.

Unless Roloson is in some kind of zone that he’s not going to be in for the rest of the year, that is.

31. mjsh says:

As another old guy who actually grew up in the Prince Albert area, I vote for Modano as well. Great skater, good passer, great shot. First ballot HOF guy for sure. And such a baby face.

I must admit that it hurt to watch glencross last night in his oilers t-shirt. He is a player all right. Wonder why it took him so long to find his game.

Why do people think the goalie thing will be settled this week? No doubt Jersey needs help. and madden would look good as an Oiler.

I think it’s a long shot for both JDD and DD to have NHL careers. The odds are one of them will get a legit shot as the starter job but I have no idea when it would be and who will get the nod.

Oilers are acting like there’ll be a new #1 in town fall 2009, though and that goalie will come from outside the organization.

mjish: I think it gets solved because Pouliot got one game and then was moved off and Brodziak now has a chance to grab it this week.

If he does then it’s all good. If he doesn’t, well they have to get Garon playing soon here ot it’s a wasted roster spot and this last couple of weeks has been a goalie showcase if I’ve ever seen one.

34. HBomb says:

Hmmmm, Niklas Backstrom or Tim Thomas?

Odds are both get extended by their current clubs. Past that, I don't see anyone on that list I'd prefer over Garon,

35. Coach pb9617 says:

No doubt Jersey needs help. and madden would look good as an Oiler.

While Madden is a UFA, there’s no way Lou is that silly, not with Richards, Carter, Briere, Gomez, Drury, Crosby, Malkin in the division.

36. Doogie2K says:

@HBomb: Regarding Lafontaine vs. Modano in PPG, it also bears pointing out that Lafontaine started in 1983-84 (I believe his first year was the only sniff of the Finals he got), while Modano started in 1988-89. Modano played a lot fewer Goal Bonanza years and a lot more Dead Puck years.

@Scott: Chelios is an interesting one. His best years seem like an eternity ago, but he did win Norrises with Montreal and Chicago, and had some nice offensive numbers in the front half of his career (four seasons of 15+ goals, eight seasons of 50+ points, nine if you prorate the lockout year; 19 and 21 points in the ’89 and ’92 Finals runs, respectively). Don’t think he’s tops, but he’s certainly worth mentioning. Fun fact: in his draft year (’81), Chelios played Junior A with the Moose Jaw Canucks of the SJHL.

Also, I’m disappointed that no one has yet mentioned the first great American player, Frankie “Mr. Zero” Brimsek. Calder Trophy (’39), two Vezinas (’39, ’42), two Stanley Cups (’39, ’41), and eight All-Star nominations (’39-’43, ’46-’48), and the first-ever American to be inducted into the Hall (’66). Guess he’s before your time. ;)

37. Scott says:

LT, how long does the peak need to last for Chelios to be considered for peak value? His best five year period is probably 88-89 to 92-93. Won the Norris twice, two Finals appearances, 0.58 points per game is his lowest over the period (and he was injured), while his highest was 0.91. Had a couple of seasons of over 200 penalty minutes, which is a mix of good and bad but I think describes the kind of player he was. You can expand his peak longer than that if you want to. He made over 0.5 points per game for 14 consecutive seasons. I think the problem for him is that his accomplishments are less recent since that streak ended ten years ago (and he’s still on an NHL roster!).

38. Coach pb9617 says:

Labarbra and Fernandez are options from that list as well. Especially if you bring Roloson back as I suspect they will if Mac is still the coach.

39. Scott says:

Coach,

If they bring Roloson back, then they aren’t signing anybody else. JDD is signed for next year as well, so he probably has the backup here next season unless he completely implodes this season.

From MacT’s game day interview today, my reading of it is that Garon actually legitimately has the flu this weekend.

MacT’s dry humour today on the goaltending situation is priceless.

41. Chris says:

If for the purposes of this discussion we’re considering Brett Hull an American (arguably debatable he was born in Canada but spent most of his life in the US and played on the American national teams), I’d have to say peak value Brett Hull was the greatest American hockey player ever. Brett Hull between 1989 and 1994 had 5 50+ goal seasons and in each of those seasons he had at least 97 points. His best season was 1990-1991 where Hull had 86goals and 45 assists. These are truly elite numbers. He scored fifty goals in fifty games twice, and led the NHL in goals in 1990, 1991 and 1992. He won the Hart Trophy in 1990-1991.

Mike Modano’s best seasons were 92-93, and 93-94 in both of which he had 93 points. In 93-94 he scored 50 goals.

I’m not trashing Modano here as he’s had a long, productive career and could be relied on to produce about 80 points a year. There is an argument to be made for him due to his stability and consistency of output. However, there is the argument that while he was always one of the best players in the league. He was never really in the conversation as the best player in the league.

The Glencross situation was unfortunate.

Agent was asking for too much money in May.

Katz wanted the prettiest girl on the block on July 1, distracting Lowe, when the agent became reasonable.

Lowe not telling Katz that a bird in the hand is worth more than one in the bush. The dollars for Hossa meant the Oilers had to stall any Glencross offer.

One of the rules of being a GM is the same as that of a MD. “At first, do no harm.”

43. Baroque says:

Re: Chelios: He probably dropped out of the conversation because he’s been out with a broken leg, and will be for about another week.

He was also runner-up for the Norris in 2002, I believe (to Lidstrom, of course – although there is a strong opinion that this will be the year Phaneuf wins the Norris instead).

His scoring has dropped off because he is being asked to skate fewer minutes now, in deference to his age and not tiring him out, and his main role is PK and babysitting youngsters called up from the minors as injury replacements.

44. raventalon40 says:

Lowetide: who goes – Garon, DesLauriers or Roloson?

45. Lord Bob says:

Lowetide: who goes – Garon, DesLauriers or Roloson?

I’m not LT, but I think it’s self-evidentally Garon as a) he’s in the doghouse, b) he’s the only one with any value.

46. Lord Bob says:

By the way, last time Mathieu Garon was traded, he helped land Radek Bonk and Cristobal Huet. So that’s a nice place to aim. :P

47. goldenchild says:

This 3 goalie mess needs to be sorted pronto as it appears to have made the coach lose his fuckin mind. 24 days since his las start? I mean seriously WTF?

48. dubya says:

Seriously, I hate Modano (looks like a rat, he does), but watching him wind up at his blueline with his jersey flapping behind him as he gained speed was a thing of beauty…Till he blew by the Oiler D and ripped a laser of a wrist shot or backhand into the Oiler net.

49. HBomb says:

Well, based on his play so far (at least from what I’ve heard), he probably doesn’t deserve it.

I firmly believe Lidstrom could (and should) win the thing every year until he retires. He’s that good.

50. slipper says:

Between him and Mike Modano, Brett Hull was the more prolific goal scorer.

I think Modano was the more complete hockey player. Come playoff time he was playing in all situations and in the key match-ups. In their Stanley Cup season in Dallas, Modano averaged almost 6 and a half more minutes a game than Hull.

Both of them had questionable seasons as younger men where they had great counting numbers but poor outscoring numbers. Hull managed two seasons of 45 even strength goals while registering in the minus column. Modano, at the age of 23, had a 32 EV goal year when he went minus 8.

At the age of 26 the light bulb went on for Modano. In 6 of his next 7 seasons he registered 20+ EV goals, was a double digit outscorer, and was the leader on his team amongst forwards for ice time playing in all situations.

Hull had an amazing shot, though. His goal scoring was outrageous.

51. Coach pb9617 says:

This is hilarious. Everyone agrees that they hate the guy. But they all think he was majestic to watch at Northlands.

52. PDO says:

Bastard.

I’m almost there…. I hope.

I hate Dallas. Bastards. I’d love nothing more than a 7-0 nothing shit kicking.

53. dave says:

Chelios is my next pick after Modano. At the olympics he’s been their only player when they are down and out. Not the peak of either Modano or Leetch but he wins second for me in desire. Players that hated losing more? messier or Chelios?

54. Jonathan says:

RE: Glencross. The Oilers should not have plunked down the money Glencross’s agent was asking, and by the time Glencross had finally come down to a reasonable price, Hossa was the guy the team was looking at. I’m not going to get upset at Lowe for missing out on a guy who is looking to be a decent third-liner when he was shooting for the moon. If Hossa or Jagr had come here, we wouldn’t be talking Glencross at all. It is emphatically not the Hejda situation – Hejda reportedly let Edmonton match Hejda’s offer, and Lowe declined. (And while we criticize Lowe for Hejda, let’s not forget it was MacT who took 40 games before he decided the guy was a better option than Matt Greene).

As for Modano, great player, always disliked him and his hockey club (well, once they moved to Dallas anyway ;]). And I’ll take Leetch over Modano in the “Greatest American Hockey Player” sweepstakes.

55. Chris says:

Mirtle has a piece up about the KHL failing, Jagr anyone? It could be amazing to see him on the powerplay with Hemsky. Obviously not a long term fix for the franchise but it would be a short term shot in the arm.

56. slipper says:

Chelios? Damn. I’d take him and his +351 over Leetch and his +25, even with Leetch’s higher Pts/game.

Dude was +195 before he went to Detroit and was no longer was the best defender on his team. He was still playing 24-27 minutes a game in his first Cup season in Detroit, and up until the end of his 41 year old season.

Good player.

57. Baroque says:

Oh, I agree. But the writers vote for that (I think??), and they are so enamoured of Phaneuf’s big shot and thundering hits that I wonder if he shouldn’t take out a restraining order. I think Lidstrom bores them. :)

Bastard.

I’m almost there…. I hope.

Ya know, not all ladies like stupid movies. Some of us are looking for guys who don’t expect us to be brainless housemaids and serve them hand and foot while they watch football. :)

58. spOILer says:

As bad as the Oiler’s struggles have been this season, there’s a couple of teams in OTT and DAL who are technically better on paper, but have struggled even more.

OTT of course has two Hemsky’s and a Horcoff in Alf’n, Spezza and Heatley. But they’re thin on D, some forwards are failing to produce, and the netminding has some issues. Reputedly, it was a damaged dressing room last year, but that the ring leaders had been banished to other parts. The cleansing has yet to take hold, likely because of a needed personnel upgrade. The room’s rep doesn’t help FA signings either.

DAL seemingly has contracted the same disease this year. On top of an aged, more fragile defense, a Ribeiro who still needs baby-sitting to sled the tough minutes, and one of those baby-sitters out for the season, the dressing room seems in trouble and there have been public examples of team dissent. Ribeiro’s other sitter, Avery, is just as likely to make every minute off the ice tough, as he seems to play both hockey and life with a massive chip on his shoulder. The goalie has apparently been driven to utter distraction by all this as he has been awful and even the team leaders are unhappy. Aww geez, that’s too bad.

This is really a sweetheart matchup for the Oil, one they should exploit. So far though, continuing good performances from one game to the next has been as hard as continuing good play from one season to the next.

Hopefully we’ll see the new crease aware Horc tonight and for the rest of the year, and hopefully the Kids buzz like they did in the third. I haven’t seen anything on Vish yet, but I’d think if they really wanted to be precautionary, 24 hrs isn’t a lot of time. If the impact to the head was as bad as it looked, we should see Smid.

It was nice to see the Oilers attack the zone as a line in St. Loo. None of those plays where the puck carrier refuses to pass or dump, forcing the other two forwards to pull up at the blueline so the puck carrier can lead an unsupported solitary charge into double coverage. I hate that almost as much as coach hates drop passes.

We still need a better start to a game. Hopefully they get lots of rubber at the DAL net early no matter who the Stars play in goal.

Goilers!

And hopefully we are witnessing the implosion and end of the Dallas Stars we all know and love. May they be re-born anew, say 15-20 years from now. I just wish it had been Hatcher traded back to the maelstrom and not Sydor.

59. Kris says:

Do you suppose the Garon benching has a simple explanation: Garon got pissed at the 3 goalie situation and demanded a trade. In response, MacT got angry and benched him.

Our sports media is useless if Garon has asked for a trade and they haven’t discovered it.

60. Kris says:

I worry that the Stars will get Hedman and will return to dominance within a year.

Hate those guys

61. Lord Bob says:

We know Edmonton sports media is useless anyway. You’ll learn more about the Oilers reading comment threads there than you will in a million Jim Matheson columns.

62. Coach pb9617 says:

Players that hated losing more? messier or Chelios?

Chelios. Man, he would do anything, and I mean things that Messier only thought of when drunk on whiskey, to avoid a loss.

As a bantam, I used Chelios’ Sherbrooke. Good Times.

63. Coach pb9617 says:

If Hossa or Jagr had come here, we wouldn’t be talking Glencross at all.

Jagr is still a possibility, according to me.

64. Coach pb9617 says:

Welcome to a few days ago ;)

It’s the pefect fit at ES

Horpensky
    Nilsson – Dago – Jagr
    Gagner – Pouliot – Cole
    Moreau – Brodziak – Stortini

65. RiversQ says:

Hull over Modano? Seriously?

If I wanted to actually win hockey games I’m pretty sure I’d take Modano. Not even close really. Modano did it all. Great shot but Hull mostly just said it all.

66. spOILer says:

My sweet Alabama figgers Roli’s not playing today because his cool temper would have to face Avery.

Not a good showcase.

67. RiversQ says:

The flagellating over Glencross is getting a little amusing. Sure it looks like a mistake but he’s no $1.6MM Horcoff unless he’s taking draws and playing centre.

Letting him go was a big gamble but it wasn’t totally indefensible. And this is coming from a guy who would have fired Lowe before the 07 offseason. He’s the personification of mediocrity at the GM position.

68. spOILer says:

RiversQ said…
    Hull over Modano? Seriously?

Doesn’t that criterion bring LaFontaine and Chelios back into the argument?

69. Traktor says:

How can you blame Glenx on Lowe?

When the owner says to throw 90 million at Hossa you don’t have the option to sign Glenx at the dollars he wanted. Even with Torres moved the team most likely would’ve still needed to shed some space.

The blind hatred towards Lowe flows like a river around here.

You can play Lowe for Hejda but you all you need is a little objectivity so see that’s just as much on MacTavish.

- MacTavish was said to have a big say in roster moves that year.

- The teams PP sucked

- All the defense could do was rim the puck or high glass

-MacTavish told Lowe to target Souray and puck moving defense. Hejda was just a victim of the numbers game.

If Lowe is to blame then it’s for trusting MacTavish’s judgment. Both guys are to blame.

This organization has proven in the past the ability to find quality D that fly under the radar so that also probably played a factor in the decision to let Hejda go.

70. PDO says:

Hey I did something useful today – there’s another woman posting here, and we’re aware of her now, and it’s not just Kinger forgetting to log off his girlfriends account ;).

I still always have have to watch at least one stupid movie though. Kung Fu Panda, Walle, something with Matthew McICantSpellHisLast Name, etc…

71. HBomb says:

Traktor: To quote Glen Quagmire, “I’ve got a question for you – why are you still here?”

72. Coach pb9617 says:

I so desperately want a national network to have a “Lidstrom cam” during a game. Any game. I just want an iso shot of what that dude does.

73. Scott says:

HBomb,

I almost shudder to ask, but what is the context of that Quagmire quote?

74. Coach pb9617 says:

It’s certainly possible. But someone’s sources would have outed that two weeks ago. It’s a media blender in Edmonton — unless one of those MSM hacks knows and is holding it back, how is this not leaking?

75. Coach pb9617 says:

Doesn’t that criterion bring LaFontaine and Chelios back into the argument?

Patty Lala had the shorted career arc. If you want to pick a single season or single playoff series, he’s in the picture.

76. Coach pb9617 says:

The blind hatred towards Lowe flows like a river around here.

:-0

I’m speechless. To mangle a great line from a decent actor in a mediocre movie:

“Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.”

77. Coach pb9617 says:

I almost shudder to ask, but what is the context of that Quagmire quote?

Exactly what you think it is.

78. spOILer says:

From Oilfans pregame thread a fellow by the avatar of kungpaobenji ran into some of the Oil in a Dallas bar last night and had this to say:

Summary of last night:
    Penner/Moreau/Smid/Garon – all three of those guys were super drunk. I guess Mathieu was looking to drink his flu away?

Smid – Danced with random cougars, cause this place is a cougar bar. Hillarious

Cole – really cool down to earth guy, bought my friends drinks. Said the players including himself need to listen to Mac-T more. Sounds like the politically correct answer.

Cogliano – Sober all night, actually chaperoning for his older sister & her friends that all came down from Ontario. Too bad cause I didn't get a pic with Cog's outgoing sister who is just super hot!

79. dstaples says:

Peak value (top four-five years) Brett Hull, substantially more MVP votes than Modano.

Career value: Chelios, not many better and fiercer competitors in his day, and his day was 20 years long.

80. HBomb says:

I almost shudder to ask, but what is the context of that Quagmire quote?

Well, since you asked….it’s from an episode where Stewie gets put in a foster home, and Glen gets information as to the location of said whereabouts from the child welfare agent by sleeping with her.

He walks back into the room with a martini (obviously post-coitus) to her in bed and she says “Glen, I’ve got a question for you….what do you do for a living?”

His response is the above-quoted piece of wit.

81. mc79hockey says:

John Tortorella would have had them in bed by 9PM.

82. Baroque says:

Cover blown on a long-time-lurker-very-infrequent-commentor! :D

My favorite movie is Casablanca, so if that counts as stupid, then guilty as charged. I don’t much like seeing movies in theatres, though – too loud and not intimate enough.

83. Black Dog says:

Yeah I’m with Staples, an argument can be made for Modano but Chelios was one of the game’s best defencemen for a long long time and then remained a very good defenceman for quite a while after that.

Spoiler – I don’t know about that. That rat Cole was at my place last night. We had a nice dinner and some wine. He doesn’t like MacT much.

And Smid kept calling him on his cell, what a pain in the ass.

84. mc79hockey says:

Here’s a pic of the lads from last night, apparently.

At the very least, you think MacT could teach Smid to look a little sharper.

85. dstaples says:

At first, I thought the Hossa thing was Katz, but now I’m not so sure.

I am sure of this: Lowe’s vision is to have a team built around big money stars. That’s how you win Cups, in his estimation, hence the pursuit of such players as Souray and Visnovsky.

So, if there is to be blame here, how can he not be the one who carries the can on GlenX?

Four lines of grinders isn’t Lowe’s thing. He wants some top quality talent here, and Hossa fit that description, not GlenX.

Jonathan is right that GlenX was asking a lot ($1.5 million-plus), but we don’t know all the details of this negotiation, and whether, for instance, GlenX’s agent was told that the Oil would match any reasonable offer for GlenX, which might well have been a sane thing to tell a guy that you want to keep, but only at the right price.

So this was a question of Lowe’s priorities, and he made them clear with his pursuit of Hossa — that was his choice, and he lives and dies as hockey man on such judgments.

Of course, whether he is right or wrong to want to build around stars (especially aging stars) is another issue.

86. Lord Bob says:

Ethan Moreau is one of those guys who wears vests over dress shirts that aren’t tucked in?

How can that man be our captain?

87. dstaples says:

MC, well, they look like they just dropped in at the United Church social. No harm in that.

88. spOILer says:

mc79hockey said…

John Tortorella would have had them in bed by 9PM.

Well, as long as Pierre Maguire isn’t “handling” bed check duties…

89. Black Dog says:

yikes

is that Garon beside Smid? Its been so long I can’t remember what that poor fucker looks like.

90. spOILer says:

Black Dog,

I’m really beginning to think Spector manufactured his quote out of Lubo’s english skills.

We’ve seen none of the expected backlash.

91. kinger says:

Information on that image:

Taken: 12:20:53 2008:11:30 by a Canon PowerShot SD1000

It’s legit.

92. dstaples says:

Jesus, even in a bar Smid loses his man.

94. spOILer says:

kinger,

that was also the image linked by kungpaobenji on the Oilfans thread.

Moreau’s metrosexual look was getting comments there too.

95. mc79hockey says:

Heh David – good stuff. Weird Euro defencemen seem to be a bit of an Oilers thing – Niniimaa (sorry HBomb – I know that there are way too many vowels, but that’s it) was a hardcore death metal guy.

The guy at OilFans saying that some of them were plowed is a little discouraging. If he’s right about Penner, well, “Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son.”

96. Black Dog says:

No kidding, Ty. I mean boys will be boys, except for Smid, I guess ;), but here we are thinking today’s a “big” game and they’re all out on the town.

Of course I guess they sleep all day.

And I had a late night last night and was still a factor for Capsule today.

Of course I’m in far better shape then any of these clowns.

Spoiler – yeah interesting to see – Duhatschek’s column Friday said, again, that MacT has until the end of the season to turn this around.

I don’t know who to believe! *sobs*

97. Black Dog says:

What’s the word on Lubo?

98. slipper says:

“Hull… substantially more MVP votes than Modano.”

A glowing endorsment for Modano.

If it were basketball, Hull would have lead Modano by say 3.5-4/PPG, and Modano would lap Hull on every other category one could think of: assists, steals, blocks, rebounds, et al.

99. Scott says:

Major Propps to Chelios for getting some respect!

How can that man be our captain?

Not to mention former Hot-Off Champion.

100. Chris says:

Smid is rocking the MMA t-shirts? Perhaps that explains his newfound love after the whistle shoving matches.

As for Hull over Modano, yea seriously Rivers. I do respect alot of what you have to say but as I indicated peak value Hull lead the league in goalscoring for three seasons and to jog your memory this was when the NHL features such luminaries as Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.

Modano was certainly a more well rounded player. Although given the prolific offense that Hull during his best years offered you could probably afford to play him with a few guys who backchecked a bit harder.

101. Chris says:

“Smid’s thought bubble, “Can’t wait to ditch old Cappy, put on my eyeliner, and head out to the All-American Goth House of Pain.” “

Staples I don’t think that’s a goth shirt, it looks like its mixed martial arts shirt. You know “UFC”, cage fighting – you might have heard of it at some point.

102. slipper says:

At their “peak value” it goes something like this:

Player that will put you over in your hockey pool:

1. Hull
    2. Modano

Player that will put you over in a playoff series:

1. Modano
    2. Hull

103. dstaples says:

Slipper, I wonder if hardcore fans, such as yourself, were voting for the Hart those years when Hull and Modano were at their peaks if the final votes would have been much different. There’s some awfully sharp hockey beat reporters out there, too.

Anyway, Modano was certainly a more spectacular player than Hull. It’s easy to picture him in full flight, in all his glory, especially for those of us in Edmonton. But does this powerful impression distract us?

Hull, of course, was a sneaky Mike Bossy of a sniper, a stone-cold scorer, but not a thrilling player to watch, unless he was scoring goals for your favourite team.

Was he a more productive player than Modano in his four-to-five peak years? Well, I already had my say.

104. spOILer says:

Chris,

with the lyrics on the shirt, dark wave-metal and Smid is a possibility.

105. Chris says:

All-time career leader in Playoff Powerplay Goals with 38.

Tied for 1st on the all-time Playoff Game Winning Goals list with 24.

Career playoff goals 4th after a few fellows we're familair with called Wayne, Mark and Jari.

Career playoff points, he trails only the Oilers alumni again.

Yea, Hull never won you playoff games.

106. Coach pb9617 says:

Here’s a pic of the lads from last night, apparently.

“Me” should switch to light beers for a long while.

107. Chris says:

Yea, its possible Slipper although the t-shirt looks like an Affliction knock off to me.

108. Coach pb9617 says:

You’re more upset with the vest than the penalties?

109. Coach pb9617 says:

This blog should be a television show.

Pregame.

110. Coach pb9617 says:

Babe Ruth did it.

111. mc79hockey says:

David -

I don’t think that people are particularly innately good at getting a sense of the big picture of things. This is my own personal view, no real data to support it, but if you watch Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN, you’ll see Joe Morgan. He can break down an individual play fantastically well. It’s amazing. When he starts to expand the scope though, and talk about things in a more macro sense, he’s a complete buffoon.

With the hockey writers, my sense has always been that they’re decent at communicating the interesting events of a game on a given night AND that they’ve got a bias towards the interesting story. It doesn’t take a lot to figure out that Ryan Malone blocking pucks with his face and then coming back to the game is an interesting story. Where it breaks down though, is in putting that into context. Was the puck going into the net if it didn’t hit him in the face? Probably not. Is there really that much value to that? Probably not. It sure as hell looks cool though and that’s what’s taken away from the game.

The stuff that Brett Hull did, putting puck after puck into the back of the net and winning the scoring title, all while saying funny and irreverent things, made him a guy to whom the writers would gravitate. I’m not sure that Modano worked or works the same way. For one, virtually every time he opens his mouth, he seems like a douchebag.

112. Coach pb9617 says:

Really? Hull had Oates and Janney at their peaks as well.

113. dstaples says:

Plus, Modano married a very hot girl, sure to breed jealousy in the sports writing gang :)

114. Coach pb9617 says:

There’s some awfully sharp hockey beat reporters out there, too.

Uh, can you name more than…two?

115. slipper says:

Well if the conversation was “who was the better goal scorer?”, I’ve already submitted my vote, and it’s for Hull. One of the best shots ever.

But the best hockey player? It’s Modano, hands down.

Like you’ve argued, there are passengers when it comes to outscoring. With the best players, it’s not that difficult to spot the passengers: Bobby Orr’s defense partners? Passengers, obviously .

The Modano and Hulls are the drivers of results. Modano scored and he got good results. Hull scored more but got bad results.

At his peak Modano played more minutes, killed penalties, matched up for the lion’s share of minutes against the opposition’s best players, and still he got positve results.

Unfortunately for Brett Hull, he can’t claim any of that. But he scored like a damn. Great shot, that guy.

116. Chris says:

And for what its worth while I don’t know if we can track advanced statistics all the way back to 1990-1991 I’d have to image you have a pretty awesome GF/60, and an amazing Corsi number to score 86 goals. To score that frequently you’re clearly spending alot of time in the other team’s end.

117. mc79hockey says:

Here’s the list of the top 10 seasons for G, along with the player’s +/- that year:

Gretzky 92 +81
    Gretzky 87 +76
    Hull 86 +23
    Lemieux 85 +41
    Mogilny 76 +7
    Selanne 76 +8
    Esposito 76 +71
    Gretzky 73 +98
    Hull 72 -1
    Kurri 71 +76
    Gretzky 71 +60

How you score 72 goals and end up -1 on the season, on a decent team, is a mystery to me.

118. Chris says:

You probably had otherworldly powerplay numbers I’d imagine Mudcrutch and and okayish year at even strength.

119. Lord Bob says:

Hey, penalties happen. Everybody takes them sometimes. But an untucked dress shirt and a grey vest? That’s criminal.

120. Lord Bob says:

And Mudcrutch, you of all people should realise how silly it is to compare +/- of different players in different years on different teams! :P

121. Coach pb9617 says:

Cool, in the LT hockey bible:

untucked dress shirt and a grey vest is worse than a hook 100 feet away from your own goal.

LT, you’re writing a bible, yes?

122. Dennis says:

What’s a married man like Moreau doing out at a bar???;)

BTW, did anyone see Garroich’s column today where he said that the Oilers want to move Roli’s contract and are shopping Souray as well?

I know believes Garrioch but still….

123. dstaples says:

If we go by, “Who will lead us to victory in that one key playoff series?” as our main criteria, Chelios and Jeremy Roenick are my picks, neither Hull nor Modano.

And I think I’d go with a 20-25 year old Roenick. He was such a force at that age, the type of strong, fast, crazy player who could not be denied. He was an Glenn Anderson-type, it seems to me, who didn’t bother in a lot of regular season games, but was a menace when motivated in the playoffs. BTW, I’m not saying he or Anderson were clutch players. I’m saying they were guys who played their “B” or “C” games some regular season games.

124. rickibear says:

“How can you blame Glenx on Lowe?…… …….the ability to find quality D that fly under the radar so that also probably played a factor in the decision to let Hejda go.”

Traktor: No Vitrol
    and Valid points with ideas already brought up by many.

Thanks for that. 100% to the point with both sides veiws.

As for Modano, Grew up in PA, Only two better players have ever been on the comuniplex ice. Pavel Bures 4G 1A in a 5-1 win over the USA in the world juniors and Todd bergen (PHI/MIN)who walked away from the game and is a gulf pro and ocean tackle manufacturer.

Modanos controlled the stars game for 18/19 years. He could be many teams second center for another 4-5 years at 60 points a season.

Can you think of another American player that you have had to treat as the teams best player for the last 18 years. Did not think so

125. spOILer says:

MC, that’s unbelievable.

126. HBomb says:

mc79: Two things.

1) I can’t spell Janne’s last name, so I’m not about to complain if someone else can’t.

2) I hope that David Frost site is a joke. Even if it is, it’s not that funny….

127. Kish says:

Modano and Leech would be a toss up for me. Hull doesn't count, but would be top 5.
    The only way i pick Chelios < Leech is if we're measuring longevity at a high level. And Reonick had some peaks that may have been better than Modano, but the only thing that he does better is the physical side. Mo is just so frustratingly complete. Argh.

128. slipper says:

MC: Is that a joke?

129. Dennis says:

Todd Bergen, eh.

I always wondered what happened to that guy.

130. dstaples says:

Coach, too loaded for me to start naming names. We’ll all just have to judge these guys (and gals) by their writing. . .

131. Kish says:

mc79: the only thing i can think of is that the site is from before the “hitman” incident. actually, i’m not going to think about it anymore.

132. mc79hockey says:

Nope, no joke. He’s got a website now. I looked up the owner info, by the way, and the fellow under whose name it’s registered is McCauley. Frost is married to John McCauley’s daughter IIRC.

Unbelievable that anyone in Canada would take money from this guy. It appears to be hosted by http://www.blacksun.ca and designed by http://www.curiousprojects.com/. I encourage anyone reading this to avoid them.

133. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach, too loaded for me to start naming names.

Drunk before dark eh?

We’ll all just have to judge these guys (and gals) by their writing. . .

If that’s the case, your premise is in trouble.

134. HBomb says:

David Frost’s site makes Hockeybuzz.com look like a good way to spend money on “insider info”.

That is sick. At least Americans had the decency to turn OJ Simpson into a leper. In Canada we just look the other way.

I sure hope W5 sees that link. That guy makes me sick.

136. Chris says:

A clever ploy by Eklund to make himself look reputable..

137. slipper says:

Too many MSM guys present hockey discussion at too simple of a level. Who’s the MVP? We’ll just look at the top 5 in scoring. Selke: Who’s the plus/minus leader?

These are the guys who spent most of last season beating the Vinny Lecav for MVP drum, and then in the next breath they dismiss Marc Savard because he’s supposedly soft and doesn’t back-check.

I don’t feel there is any value added to a debate by remarking on who the sports reporters are currently infatuated with.

138. pboy says:

I can’t believe that website. There has to be some way to get that assclown thrown into jail.

Out of Modano, Chelios, Lafontaine, Leetch, Hull and Roenick, I would have to go with Modano. I don’t think his best season even comes close to any of the other 5 guys best seasons but overall career, he was so consistent and had such a total game, I couldn’t pick anyone else. Also, he crushed my hopes and dreams every year for what seemed like a straight decade, so he has that going for him too…….

139. Baroque says:

I’m wondering if it makes me a horrible person if, thinking about the Mike Danton deal, the shame in the whole thing is that Danton didn’t actually find a real hitman to hire.

140. slipper says:

LT: What was the moniker of the team from that the second Modano picture?

The Jihad?

That’s one peculiar logo.

141. RiversQ says:

Best thing about tonight’s game is you get to watch Daryl Reaugh do colour if you get the Dallas feed. He’s the best in the game.

142. Black Dog says:

anyone have a link for a guy in Toronto

btw I already have the lead for Peter Mansbridge tomorrow night.

Its about to snow here.

Send food, water, whatever you can.

And say a prayer for the children.

First blogging. Now SNOW IN TORONTO.

143. spOILer says:

Lubi skated pre-game according to the Sportnet’s pre-game.

Penner doesn’t look like he’s too happy about answering questions right now, but there’s Gino with the mic anyway.

He was asked about Horc’s game yesterday and I could of swore he avoided giving a compliment, in a strange ratfink sort of way.

144. mc79hockey says:

The audio seems fucked.

145. Black Dog says:

hockey plus the IBF cruiserweight title fight

146. Black Dog says:

its ok now – thanks Ty

147. mc79hockey says:

Hemsky is very what with the pill?

148. Kish says:

you’d think teams would take away that cross ice 83 to 10 pass… its one of two things that this pp tries to do.

149. PDO says:

Hey, if they’re gonna come out like this in the first period, maybe they should get shittered the night before the game more often ;)

Prince Albert Raiders.

151. PDO says:

You have got to be kidding me.

152. mc79hockey says:

Fire the coach.

153. Kish says:

why did jdd stop looking for that? lost it in the rafters?

154. Kish says:

best stortini fight ever?

155. mc79hockey says:

“You spin me right round, baby right round, like a record baby”

156. spOILer says:

What a fight.

157. mc79hockey says:

Wow. Reaugh brings the “anus vacuum” reference.

158. PDO says:

Stortini…. good…. fight…. what?

And please tell me someone else saw the look on Moreau’s face ever.

159. Lord Bob says:

Hey, speaking of the IBF cruiserweight title fight…

Split decision on that one, but surprisingly good entertainment.

160. Black Dog says:

anus vacuum

I don’t even know what to say, I think my head is about to explode

161. Kish says:

PDO: yep, i saw it as “hmm, not bad…(for once)”

162. Lord Bob says:

You know, Deslauriers’s Ken Dryden on crystal meth style of goaltending isn’t just terrifying to watch, it also seems to produce an awful lot of rebounds that kick out far enough that one of these days Deslauriers will stop a shot in Vancouver and Evgeni Malkin will tap in the rebound from Pittsburgh.

163. HBomb says:

Anus vacuum? Strange goal? Stortini does well in a fight?

Odd game so far.

164. mc79hockey says:

They really should update Slapshot, the scene where the guys hear that the team is going to fold:

“Fucking anus vacuum, here I come!”

165. Lord Bob says:

Oh, god, Mudcrutch, don’t give them ideas for “Slapshot 4: Back to Midget”.

166. HBomb says:

Hmmm, two Dallas penalties, both drawn by Erik Cole.

Nice work by 26 so far.

167. Black Dog says:

With the anus vacuum reference it looks like I can finally break out the story about that girl I met in Buffalo.

168. Lord Bob says:

This isn’t happening.

This isn’t happening.

169. PDO says:

It’s a good thing that we’re allowing this three goaltender crap to go on because JDD is so special.

170. HBomb says:

Fuck me. Dallas has hardly been in the Oilers zone other than their powerplay, and they’re up 2-0.

Another game, another shitty first period. But I’m not attributing this one to a lack of effort.

171. Black Dog says:

Toby Peterson!

That dirty rat.

172. Lord Bob says:

It was a nice tip; Deslauriers had no chance.

Wait, of course he had a chance. It was Toby Petersen.

173. mc79hockey says:

6 goals in 64 games as an Oiler, 1 goal in 1 game against them.

174. HBomb says:

Someone hack Turco in the back of the leg. Seriously, the guy’s been shit all year and he finally brings it against his old rival.

Asshole.

175. Black Dog says:

Peterson wouldn’t even be in the league if it weren’t for MacT giving him all that confidence by playing him in every single possible situation.

Fire the coach.

176. Coach pb9617 says:

I would like someone to please put Steve Staios out of his misery.

177. Matt says:

You can’t stop Toby Petersen, you can only hope to contain him.

178. Coach pb9617 says:

Daryl Reaugh do colour if you get the Dallas feed. He’s the best in the game.

He’s one of the best, for sure, but I don’t think it’s clear cut.

179. Black Dog says:

Reaugh is no Marc Crawford that’s for sure.

180. Kyle says:

That pretty much sums up Gagner’s season.

181. HBomb says:

Was that play that Gagner was upset on actually offside? I didn’t think it was.

I could swear the Oilers carried the majority of the play that period. Yet they’re down 2-0.

182. PDO says:

Oilers played a good period I thought. If they don’t lose composure here, I can see them pulling it out…. both Dallas goals were pretty damn lucky. Shame Horcoff rang iron instead of banging that one in early.

Dallas is death for the Oilers.

184. Scott says:

That was a pretty tough period. The play looked about even, but the results certainly aren’t. Things are probably much different if Horc hits twine instead of iron. Alas.

185. spOILer says:

The team that’s played the last 3 and half periods is the team I’d like to see every game.

Cole driving, Penner a force on the boards, Horc playing well, Brodz involved, Kids buzzing, Storts actually punching…

Kyle: I’m not so sure Gagner was offside on that play, was real close, thought it was a bad call.

186. spOILer says:

I thought Hemmer’s opp was easier to put away than Horc’s. Get that puck up 3 inches…

187. Scott says:

I think the first period GD is now 23-11 to the bad in the first period. Now, admittedly, they played better in this one, but that’s pretty awful. It’s pretty well the equivalent of 11 goals in 8 games. Yikes.

188. Dennis says:

Before we get to the period, let’s get this straight: that tuba guy playing “Groove is in the heart” can jam:)

As for the game I really didn’t like that period at all. Stars found themselves in the slot three or four times unchecked and JDD lost his head on the first goal and then just muffed the second one.

You’d think the oil would have created more chances than the two I had them down for.

And I did see 18′s reaction and I read it as him being pleasprised: a combination of being both pleased and surprised.

My biggest problem with Frost’s website is he’s fucking using images of Mike Danton. If he wants to give his opinion about the NHL well he’s been aquitted of all charges and it’s a free country. But the guy’s still flaunting his connection to a young man who’s in jail for hiring a hitman to kill him.

Bizarre isn’t the word.

189. mc79hockey says:

I should email CP. I assume that those are their pictures. Maybe they’ll sue him.

190. bookie says:

hbomb- My Tivo says that Gagner play was no where close to offside, bad call, thats all!

191. bookie says:

Good period for the Oil, I think its tough luck (and a couple of softies by JDD) that they are down two.

and yes I know about the freak nature of that first goal, but it was popped up there on a missed save by JDD so thats why I suggest it was a JDD softie.

Is that Sortini fight over yet?

192. Coach pb9617 says:

That defense, where Staios comes from the crease to chase someone behind the net…that’s so bad. He’s not been able to cut anyone off all year and most times ends up floating all the way to the top of the circle and screws everyone behind him.

He’s lost two steps.

———————

For those keeping track: Gagner drop pass to other team leads to 3 on 2.

At some point Mac has to say something about that right? Moreau? Horcoff? Souray? Anyone?

193. spOILer says:

The tip didn’t look like a softie.

194. mc79hockey says:

Man. Pretty passive shift from DAL there. Wow.

195. Coach pb9617 says:

21 games for those boys to come together. Man I missed them.

196. mc79hockey says:

This is like the old Hitchcock game where the Stars would get a lead and sit back, only they retreating to about 15 feet around their net.

197. Lord Bob says:

Stop!

Hemmer time!

198. PDO says:

That was a sexy, sexy goal.

199. Scott says:

Hemsky!

They’ve been a little bit more diverse on the PP this game and it paid off there.

Newer Comments »