Oilers at Stars, G23/08-09

Mike Modano is the face of the (North) Star franchise and I don’t know how many decades it’ll take before someone replaces him as the best player to lace up the skates for a Stars team.

My guess: a few.

Modano has always marched to his own beat, even early on when he turned down scholarship offers in order to play for the Prince Albert Raiders of the WHL.You can look long and hard and not find many hockey players who starred for Detroit Compuware one season (66 goals in 69 games at age 15) and the Prince Albert Raiders the following year (32 goals in 70 games).

Modano’s career has had some minor glitches (he lost the Calder to Sergei Makarov before the NHL closed up the age gap) but there’s little doubt he’s the best American hockey player ever.

I’ve never cheered for Mike Modano but always respected him as a player. Impossible to cheer for because he was usually beating the Oilers brains in (don’t even debate this with me. Seriously, I don’t want to talk about the Dallas Stars) Modano did it with such grace, style and skill only a blind man (or a stupid one) would be unable to give him his due.

I’m glad to have been a hockey fan while Mike Modano played in the league. It would have been more fun if he’d been an Oiler, though.

A big victory yesterday with Shawn Horcoff playing the Modano role. Whenever someone rips Horcoff I always say “your opinion of Shawn Horcoff says more about you than it does about Shawn Horcoff” which isn’t very nice but it’s true.

The Oilers problem isn’t Shawn Horcoff: it’s that they don’t have enough Shawn Horcoff’s. They need a $1.6M Shawn Horcoff now that the actual Shawn Horcoff is getting the big dough.

That’s the role Marc Pouliot should be filling, the role Kyle Brodziak might be able to fill, the role Edmonton will address when they trade Dwayne Roloson.

Jeff Deslauriers apparently starts today. If he plays well, I suspect we’ll see a trade this week.

365 Responses to "Oilers at Stars, G23/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. PDO says:

Has anyone else noticed when the Oilers “really” need a PP goal, they tend to go back to 71-44?

2. Kish says:

good second period. top two lines showing some… something. i can’t remember what to call it, it comes to these parts so erratically these days

3. Coach pb9617 says:

When both dmen are worried about the fat and out of shape guy in front of the next, the other forwards have stuff to do on the power play.

4. spOILer says:

coach they’re actually dumping the puck and smartly for a change.

I like that 4line and the kids seem to be getting some traction. What if we make the playoffs and Cole never finds a home?

6. RiversQ says:

Stellar period so far. It has been all Oilers. Really nice PP goal there too with all players on the ice contributing. Hemsky is awesome tonight. He’s doing it all; even finishing checks.

7. mc79hockey says:

What if we make the playoffs and Cole never finds a home?

Maybe Cole can be packaged for something if a chance comes up.

I’m not trying to be funny here but is Deslaurier good or awful?

9. RiversQ says:

Penner is doing well in the off zone. Just some mindnumbing shit in the neutral zone though.

10. PDO says:

Gagner has less finish than his headboard.

He’s getting in good places though and usually what happens is when one goes in there’s a flood. I remain convinced Gagner is golden.

12. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m not trying to be funny here but is Deslaurier good or awful?

Both. Simultaneously.

13. PDO says:

I love the kid… but man.

PDO: We said the same thing about Hemsky not long ago.

15. bookie says:

I’m not trying to be funny here but is Deslaurier good or awful?

A bit unconventional, but part of that is his size and gumbiness. I think at times he is a little nervous and at other times he is pretty good. So maybe the answer to your question is ‘Yes’.

I hope he is good…

16. Coach pb9617 says:

He might be when he grows up, but he’s not right now. And he needs someone to tell him this or he needs to see it from the second level.

17. PDO says:

I think what makes it so tough to watch is that:

A) We know his has the talent, and we know it will come, but…
    B) He’s not doing a whole lot of good for this team if he’s not getting the puck in the net, and…
    C) This is one of his few cheap years in a cap world.

gumbiness. I like that one.

Coach: I think MacT is handling him just right. If the kid starts hanging his head then by all means sit him and certainly he’s got to have some discipline on the back pass but it’s also true he can do things others can’t and that sometimes comes at a price.

19. slipper says:

Who was that team?

20. mc79hockey says:

This is one of his few cheap years in a cap world.

This is the part that really grinds. I’m eager to put my money on the “under” of “stories in the Edmonton press in July 2010 that mention this when making snide comments about how Gagner wants too much money”.

PDO: I think he helps in lots of ways. Sam Gagner is not playing well and he’s turning the puck over but he’s also working through a tough season without sulking or bitching or complaining.

Honestly, I think a lot of the rage re: Gagner comes from his being used on the PK (and it’s epic failure currently) but the math says he’s not as bad as some of the video implies.

22. Ribs says:

Wow, that was the best period of hockey these guys have played all year.

23. bookie says:

I would bet that at some point in the year we are all glowing about how fantastic Gagner has been for the last x games…

An inconsistent 19 year old… seems reasonable to me.

24. spOILer says:

I dunno, actually a pretty good agme from gagner tonight. The Kids have been good playing more of a puck pursuit game.

Love that PK red dog from Cole early in the period. He’s hit some line drives tonight, one of them’s going to get past short eventually.

I don’t know if his endurance is an issue, but sheesh don’t they have to start finding Hemmer more ice time?

It’s obvious MacT has been dummying the PK on purpose to this point of the season for development purposes, but he’s tightened up the personnel a bit last couple of games.

And is it just me or have we been back in the trap quite a bit the past two games? The Kids especially.

25. mc79hockey says:

Bookie – Sure. Even better if he’s doing it in junior.

26. pboy says:

I’m really liking Brodziak’s game tonight. He’s looked good on the forecheck and he’s keeping the play alive. I think he helps Cole get one in the 3rd. Oilers deserve to win this one. Nice to see them putting a couple of games back to back where they look like they give a shit. Although the lines have been making alot more sense, so I don’t know whether or not it’s a chicken or the egg type deal.

27. Scott says:

LT,

Re: Gagner. I think that he should be a special player and that your comp of Damphousse is right on, but he is seriously underperforming this year. In your R.E. post you have him at .679 PPG (which I honestly thought has a bit low, I had his range as .70 to .81) and he’s not even close right now. I don’t think that MacT is treating the situation badly, save for the PK, but he really isn’t helping the team win in any way right now. If these are Schremp’s results, people laugh him back to Springfield (for good reason).

28. Dennis says:

Ty: The Hitch Stars wouldn’t let us get half as close to winning the game as Dal will or have tonight.

Also, HUGE thumbs down for the Dead or Alive lyrics;)

And big ups to the broom in the Swiffer commericals:D

That was a great period by the Oil at EV; Dal had four chances on their PP’s but Edm was owning the ice at evens and I like their chances in the third period when you consider the best player in this game is on our side.

BTW, dumb penalty by 78 early in the frame and with just over a min left in the period 51 outworked a Star to the right of Turco and then he slipped a nice pass to the crease positioned 26. A Star clamped down on Cole’s stick but I wanted to highlight a great bit o work by a kid who’s been struggling a bit.

Speaking of 26, Matty let it slip that the next move for the Kids line is that 26 would slip in to play on 89′s wing. I’ve wanted to get a look at that for awhile and I like the jam of 12-13 but somehow I think we might be able to craft a second scoring line if we gave 26 a little more to work with. But LT might be right and the guy might never get comfortable. We knew that one of him or 27 wouldn’t be playing with 83 and would be counted on for tough min but in Cole’s case he isn’t adding any goal scoring while doing so.

I really like the Oilers chances in the third period because they are the better team and Turco’s letting some nice rebounds drop right in front of him. Only thing is you have to wonder how much jam we have left for a big push given we played yesterday.

29. Graham says:

BRODZIAK!

30. Scott says:

Hot Rodziak! Sizzling Souray!

31. Scott says:

Oh… and weird-vest-wearing moreau.

32. spOILer says:

Olczyk in the PBox!? That’s not typical is it?

33. Coach pb9617 says:

My rage comes from the drop pass every game. Kid or not, that should have ended long ago. It springs an odd man every damned game.

34. bookie says:

Someone raised the point that the team is playing better and the lines make sense…hard to know which comes first, but I do think that they would play better with less line mixing.

When its mix it up time, it should involve two or three players, not as though the whole team was thrown in the blender.

35. bookie says:

So LT has JDD been good enough for the trade you were predicting?

I think the Oilers do make a deal in the next week or so. They have some extra at-bats on the PK and need a rh center for own-zone faceoffs even if Brodziak comes along (which it looks like he’s doing tonight).

It sounds like a broken record but imo Pouliot is in danger. Roloson plus Poo and a pick for a RH center would be my guess.

What does that get you? Jim Dowd?

:-)

37. PDO says:

Cogliano was in no mans land.

38. Kyle says:

“Fuck me” – MacTavish

39. Lord Bob says:

Toby Petersen and Sean Avery?

So, when’s Ed Belfour going to come out of retirement and bury one on us?

Looked like Gagner was in the same land as Cogs on that play. Dallas.

41. Scott says:

Pretty brutal shift there. Avery scores. Nilsson looks like he might be hurt. They daunt us, do the Dallas Stars.

42. PDO says:

BTW, how did Ribeiro not get a tripping penalty on Nilsson right before that?

43. Kyle says:

What’s really sad about Gagner is that if he played anything close to this last year he wouldn’t have come close to even making the team. That’s how bad he’s been.

44. PDO says:

No freaking way.

45. Kyle says:

Seems to me Brodziak is acquitting himself well though.

46. spOILer says:

Brodz!

Anyone see the uncalled hook on Horc right before the face off?

47. bookie says:

First Penner than Brodiak…perhaps everyone should take two games in the pressbox?

48. Coach pb9617 says:

I think Turco’s shorts may be a bit stained after looking up to see Souray take that shot.

49. Graham says:

BRODZIAK!

50. HBomb says:

Ribeiro is a cheap piece of shit. People bitch about Horcoff’s deal….if that guy is worth 5 million a year, Horcoff’s worth 5.5 easy.

And Brodziak scores his second, and we’re tied again. Ten years ago, the Oilers aren’t even in this hockey game.

And then the little weasel bastard Ribeiro draws a hook for something LESS than what he did to Nilsson. I hate that guy more than I hate Avery, Ott and Moreau put together. Serious.

51. PDO says:

We need a point in this game…. this kill is huge.

52. HBomb says:

And the uber-cunt Modano scores the go ahead goal.

Fuck you Dallas.

Modano. Lordy.

54. Kyle says:

Well, fuck.

55. PDO says:

24 and 10 both had their head up their ass.

56. Graham says:

fuckin modano.

57. Lord Bob says:

I think you’ll all be interested to know that Steve Tambellini just called and asked me to dust off my goalie pads.

58. bookie says:

That was terrible to watch…with the camera angle we had you could totally see it coming together and all we could do was yell at the screen.

59. HBomb says:

I’ve always wanted to see someone smash Modano right in the face with a cross check and ugly him up a bit.

I cannot stand that guy either. Good player, hate his guts with a passion.

60. PDO says:

I hate the Stars. So much.

61. Coach pb9617 says:

I think he helps Cole get one in the 3rd. Oilers deserve to win this one.

Close :)

lol. What was that?

63. Lord Bob says:

Is there some way where we can gain an eternal exemption to playing in Dallas? Seriously, I’d take a road trip between Siberia and Madagascar over another game in Dallas.

64. HBomb says:

You could feel that last Dallas goal coming. Souray took the penalty, which meant Staios and Strudwick together on the PK. Which usually means trouble.

24, specifically, he’s been utter garbage today. Even moreso than his usual performances this year.

65. PDO says:

HATE THEM. SO MUCH.

66. Kyle says:

Random fan will be this teams turning point. I want to see MacT punch this guy out!

67. Lord Bob says:

So, what are the chances MacTavish sends Staios to the pressbox for blowing holes into yet another game? Zero? Less than zero?

68. bookie says:

Fire the coach!

But seriously, other than all of the pain of losing, that was a fun game to watch.

69. HBomb says:

The Oilers deserved a better fate today. Dallas got lucky, plain and simple.

Just like pretty much every game in Dallas over the last dozen or so seasons.

Modano and Ribeiro can Horcoff and die.

At least Mike Keane wasn’t there.

:-)

71. HBomb says:

He’s one of MacTavish’s favorite soldiers. That 24/43 pairing has been utter shit yet keeps getting run out there in critical situations.

72. bookie says:

So, I am not certain that this answered any goaltending issues. JDD did not suck, but he also didn’t find a way to keep the puck out more than the other guy (which is the essence of winning). To me its a push and we go to the next game with the same issues that we had in this one.

HBomb: Yeah. It was a curious “hunch” choice probably based on JDD winning twice in NY state earler.

A Don Zimmer move if I ever saw one, plus of course it looks like they’re lining up to make a deal imo.

74. mc79hockey says:

Go home Mike, it’s over!

(Fire MacT!)

75. Lord Bob says:

Right now, I picture Shawn Horcoff shaking Craig MacTavish in the dressing room and yelling “you keep telling us to play a full sixty minutes, well see where that got us!”

76. Black Dog says:

hbomb – Garon has the flu

he’s had it for a month

poor fucker, he’s just a shadow of his former self

77. HBomb says:

Lowetide: I don’t buy this “flu” business with Garon for one second. If he was out at the bar last night, he could have played today.

This is the sort of game where you’ve got to go with Garon, not JDD. Deslauriers could have had the Friday game in LA or something like that.

78. spOILer says:

We never seem to get the calls in this rink.

But you got to like the pace and effort the Oil put in.

Looks like Brodz’ legs love the extra minutes he’s been getting on the 3rd. Looks good there.

Did Staios and Struds actually look any worse on Modano’s goal than Grebs and Lubo on Avery’s?

79. HBomb says:

BDHS: See my comment to Lowetide. That flu stuff is bullshit.

This is Pete Peeters ego and nothing else.

And whoever said it, yes, that might be the closest the Oilers have come to a full sixty effort this season. Fucking ghost of Benoit Hogue is still hanging around Dallas though….

80. Traktor says:

Looks like 24 can’t use the Smid excuse tonight for the backdoor play – even JDD pointed out the threat but everyone just stood stationary.

81. mc79hockey says:

In a city with real media, there might be some digging into the Garon story. I have no idea what’s up with that but it’s insane.

82. HBomb says:

spOILer: The only difference between Grebeshkov and Staios right now is a tinted visor, and the difference between Staios and Strudwick is about 2 million in cap hit.

This team has three d-men playing quite well and three guys, well, not playing well at all.

HBomb: I don’t understand why Garon lost his starting job so there’s no answers from me. I thought using Deslauriers might have been a “we need proof” final interview before sending Roloson away and making Garon the de facto #1 again.

But this is the year of Mike Fitzerald, Jeff Reed and Nelson Santovenia tandem. Expos went 81-81that year btw.

84. Schitzo says:

So Pouliot gets his one game on the third line, has nothing to show for it.

Brodziak gets a couple, scores two goals… I’m thinking we have our winner, folks.

Pouliot got stapled after that penalty, didn’t he?

85. Dennis says:

MacT just pulled his punch at the last minute; he was really going to go after that fan but then on the jump up he snapped back and thought about what he was about to do.

Some questions and comments while I continue to wait for this hangover to break:

- what happened on the Avery goal? 71 chases the guy to the other side and doesn’t get back but who’s supposed to cover? I had that as the Stars first fucking EV chance of the period but it was a fucking Jim Dandy.

- the Oilers shitty PK rate is bought and paid for. That beaver motherfucker scores the winner but this crew gives up big chances all the time – it’s not like teams are always scoring against them because of bad luck. I liked the 26-51 pairing because they were also playing together at EV but the unit still stinks.

- saw a really couple of bad turnovers by 12 tonight. Really not sure where we go from here with guys like 12 and 89.

- 51 gelled with 18-26 so that’s something we can look forward to for the next game.

- didn’t like the JDD choice and don’t believe his A numbers necessitate us being so afraid of losing him on waivers.

86. bookie says:

Yes, the Garon thing is one of the strangest I have seen in the NHL…something is up. It could be Pete Peters, but even that is strange strangers to think that MacT MacTvers would turn the game over to his goalie coach coachers.

If there is a trade this week, we may understand things a bit better. For now, i blame Pronger’s wife.

Pouliot’s last shift was at 10:42 of the 2nd period. At least he probably got a chance to hit the sandwich’s before the veterans.

88. Asiaoil says:

JDD went .846 tonight and .821 in his last start – that is unacceptable no matter how you cut it – and further starts will simply see his SP sink sub .900 which his talent and history in the AHL dictates. MacT can play his hunches all he wants but he can’t give the kid better technique or improve his concentration – oh yeah I forgot we have Peeters for that ;) Go ahead and give more games away – just keep playing him.

89. Traktor says:

“what happened on the Avery goal?”

Lack of communication.

90. Black Dog says:

Yes, good point schitzo.

Not a lost weekend and if this means Brodziak has found his game things will look up.

91. Dennis says:

Just caught the MacT scrum on SN and the guy’s about to throw his hands up.

BTW, 44′s doing way more harm than good but he’s gotta have better sense than to take that last penalty.

78 got on with the rest of the 4th line to draw the penalty that lead to the 2-1 goal.

The top reporter covering Edmonton (Al Strachan) said last night on HNIC that MacT would resign as opposed to getting canned.

Anyone believe that? I don’t.

93. mc79hockey says:

Just caught the MacT scrum on SN and the guy’s about to throw his hands up.

Are we talking about his presser or near fight? I find it bizarre that he flips out after games like this and not the game against LA.

94. Black Dog says:

I believe it – said so yesterday or Friday.

If he resigned he’d still get his cash, you could bank on that.

95. docweb says:

Two very solid games from Penner. Using his body, keeping up with the play, nice down low passing…solid all around.

Brodz as well looks like he is back and the whole line looked solid tonight.

Kid line was as advertised last year…exciting in both ends. Cogs is at last season’s level, 12 about 75%, and Gagner…well back to the drawing board.

Horcoff had another reasonably solid game after a fantastic game but the last goal…brutal. Typical of our PK…the single biggest reason for the way the season is going IMO. How many one goal games have we lost giving up one or more goals on the PK??

96. mc79hockey says:

Well with all these Americans nearing statistical milestones on this trip, probably worth mentioning that the highest scoring draft pick of all time remains one of Edmonton’s – Tony Hand potted his 4000th point in the English League.

Yeah, I saw that over at HF. If he wrote a book I’d buy it AND read it too.

98. Kyle says:

Anyone believe that? I don’t.

I do. How many coaches have been fired in the history of the franchise?

Ron Low is the one that comes to mind.

Slats went upstairs. Mucky went to Buffalo. Low got fired I’m pretty sure. Lowe moved upstairs. MacT -??

Well, NHL Oilers it would be Bryan Watson, George Plimpton and Ron Low.

Who have I forgotten? Oh and I just remembered the lowballed Low and he passed on the opportunity so that wasn’t a firing.

Oh shoot and Ted Green was fired too.

101. kinger says:

Great game, poor result.

I don’t really have anything to be upset about. It seemed like all our mistakes ended up in the back of our net. Conversely, I think we had a number of grade A chances that we failed to capitalize on (Horcoff post, Penner break away, Hemsky rebound in the slot, Hemsky wrap around).

102. Kyle says:

Oops. Forgot Green got fired too.

103. Kyle says:

Well, NHL Oilers it would be Bryan Watson, George Plimpton and Ron Low.

That said, don’t you think it’s plausible MacT will resign well before getting fired?

104. kinger says:

Oh and 27-10-83 looked dangerous nearly every shift.

105. Lord Bob says:

LT, you’ll be interested to know that Hand actually did put out an autobiography a couple of years ago. :P

I just don’t see it. The guy is an excellent coach, it isn’t like he’s trying to move up the ladder or he probably would have made his views known after 2006 Stanley run and certainly before Mr. Tambourine Man.

No, I think he’s a career coach and will assume he’ll be around right up until the moment the phone rings.

107. mc79hockey says:

I agree with LT. Of course, I also think that MacT is human and a million bucks is a million bucks.

Unrelated: is Bobby Orr’s cup winning goal overrated or what? The puck was in the net before he left the ice.

108. gerald78 says:

i’m reading a lot of positive comments about the game tonight, but personally i’m not feeling it. that dallas team was hardly even nhl worthy with all their injuries. of course the oilers should dominate that lineup regardless of it being the second of a back to back. even still they got behind early and hahd to claw back and then made some ridiculous penalties and had some horrendous plays in the d-zone at crucial times. this game could have given the team some real momentum going back home on wednesday. i didn’t see yesterday’s game, so i can’t comment on that one, but the oilers looking better today has to be taken in light of who they were playing against.

109. mc79hockey says:

BTW, according to Neate Sager, Frost is also offering Pro-Line picks and then deleting them if they’re wrong. He had the Rangers today.

MC: Noel Picard tripped him as he was celebrating. Former Habs always trying to screw the Bruins.

111. Kyle says:

So you think resigning precludes one from being a career coach? I’m not suggesting he’s going to move upstairs – simply that it seems to me the Oilers tend not to fire guys if they can get away with it and Lowe and Mac are purpotedly pretty close.

112. Kyle says:

Ha ha ha ha.

113. mc79hockey says:

Unrelated: the Hawks went 0-3 in Cali. Earl Sleek has an unreal graphic.

114. kinger says:

Gerald78 said…

They did dominate the game.

115. Black Dog says:

Sleek is awesome.

116. Coach pb9617 says:

Gagner and Staios.

Seriously though, what does Staios have to do to find the bench? Molest Peeters’ dog?

117. Coach pb9617 says:

24 and 10 both had their head up their ass.

24s head exists in no other place but his ass.

The entire last three weeks has been one giant H.U.A. for him.

118. Coach pb9617 says:

So Horpensky looks good. 18-51-26 looks good. The fourth line looks damned good as well.

12-13-34 with 89 in the PB would be so frickin’ sweet to run out there right now. Soooo sweet.

119. Coach pb9617 says:

LT that makes no sense in any universe. Who shelves their de facto #1 for 24 days?

Coach: Don Zimmer.

121. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach: Don Zimmer.

Staios has to molest Don Zimmer to get benched? Fine, as long as I don’t have to watch. Actually, if it means Smid playing over Staios, I’ll watch. Just once.

122. Black Dog says:

Thanks for that mental image coach. I won’t be able to sleep tonight now.

Well Smid is also a head scratcher. I know that my “reasonable expectations” post implied he’d be caught but in fact no one HAS caught Smid so much as he’s been buried.

Curious.

Black Dog: As soon as I read it, I thought of that Pedro Martinez “hey look, Don’s a bowling ball” moment and pushed all other thougts aside.

Try that.

125. Coach pb9617 says:

Curious.

Garon and Smid had to have done something or someone, saw something or someone, or have pictures of someone or something. There are no reasonable explanations to either situation. None.

Well the coach is under fire so the fact he’s gone with veterans on the blue isn’t entirely out of the realm of understanding. However, the results are so bad on that third pairing you’d think Smid would draw in.

My guess is they’ll callup Peckham if they don’t go to Smid.

127. Black Dog says:

coach – absolutely agree – something is up

LT – OK, now all I picture is Staios, Zimmer, Pedro and Ramon Martinez

Argghhhh.

128. Black Dog says:

I can see the D vets except these guys are just bleeding out. And they’re getting the soft stuff when he can get it to them.

Its awful.

I feel bad for Staios. He billeted with friends of friends in junior and he apparently is just a terrific guy.

He’s just stepped right off the cliff though.

129. pboy says:

Don Zimmer = Jimy Williams

130. Coach pb9617 says:

LT – OK, now all I picture is Staios, Zimmer, Pedro and Ramon Martinez

Argghhhh.

DO NOT PICK UP THE WRONG SET OF KEYS

131. Coach pb9617 says:

Was the PK complete crap before losing Pisani? He’s easily got the best PK numbers.

132. Black Dog says:

It was pretty crap with Pisani too.

I recall they started awful.

Then they had a stretch where they were better and Moreau and MacT were talking, accurately imo, that they were just getting some bad breaks. Not giving up a lot of scoring chances but long shots were hitting things, bad breaks etc.

Then they had a very short period, a few games maybe, where they looked better and got results.

And then it went south again. Pisani was still healthy when it turned bad again.

133. Dennis says:

I really don’t know why anyone doubts Strachan anymore. The guy’s a crusty old fuck but he’s absolutely super plugged in as well and it makes sense from where I sit that MacT would just fall on the sword and quit and say something to the effect of “I’m sparing the org the trouble of firing me.”

And of course he’ll have it worked out beforehand that he still winds up getting paid.

I just see interviews like today where he gives the impression that there’s nothing else he can do and that simple things he’s taught aren’t being ignored.

The proclivity towards Mssrs. Strudwick and Roli over Smid and Garon might be something as simple as MacT being veteran giddy after all these years of having to live and die with kids. That’s not to say I support that MO because I absolutely oppose it but I’m trying to get my head around the idea of why 5′s getting shafted on the blue. It’s almost like macT’s pulling a Dennis and he’s soured on Smid because Laddy will never be what MacT was sold he Would be; nevermind that the kid’s certainly a bottom pairing D.

THe Garon thing is beyond bizarre and there’s a huge Pete Peeters angle that no one’s bothering to touch.

134. JB-"jiggyman" says:

How come only Coach and Hbomb are able to point out the failure that is Steve Staios?

I’m seeing the same things I saw 2 years ago progressively getting worse. I’d love to know what some of you guys are seeing in him.

135. HBomb says:

JB: I think most people see it.

Now I’m not a huge Staios fan, but last year might have been his best with the Oilers. Played difficult opposition and generally kept his head above water. On a team with a young defense corps, he did his job.

However, this season, he’s had less responsibility and appears to be drowning out there. Yeah, he might be one of the “leaders”, but the Oilers should not have given him that long-term extension that they did in September 2006 (he’s signed for two more years after this one at a 2.7 million dollar cap hit).

The Oilers would be well advised to divest themselves of 24 if someone was willing to take that deal on at the deadline.

136. Asiaoil says:

Dennis…..I don’t think there are any mysteries – just the obvious conclusion that MacT knows he’s done and is happy to reward his good soldier vets until the ax drops – Strudwick over Smid fits this.

Garon had the audacity to imply that Pete Peeters is incompetent by bringing in his own guy. In Oilerland you can’t have an old boy shown up like that even if they are actually totally useless. So he sits.

I appreciate a lot of MacT’s approach to coaching – but his desire to surround himself with old boys and mediocre talents is a big reason why he’ll be looking for a new job. Moores (PP) and Peeters (goalies) have under-achieved for years – and exactly what does Bucky bring to the table anyway? Wouldn’t surprise me if his “talents” are being applied to the PK.

137. Doogie2K says:

Even better if he’s doing it in junior.

Come on. That ship sailed thirteen months ago.

Anyone believe that? I don’t.

I do. Do you really think Lowebellini would fire him?

It’s an awesome picture; that’s all I’ve ever really thought about it.

Was Peeters ever an Oiler? I don’t remember this. Was this during the Bob Essensa-Joaquin Gage era?

138. Asiaoil says:

No Peeters never played for the Oilers but he’s from EDM…

139. Ribs says:

If the Oilers can keep playing like they did today there is no worries in Oiler land. Unless every team decides to move to Dallas and rename themselves the Stars, the wins will come. Damn Dallas. Damn Mike Modano (clear cut winner, by the way).

Penner looked like he gave a poop this game. Hopefully this becomes a regular occurance.

The kids looked great. The Swarming Midgets looked like a pain to play against today. Cogs missed his man in front of the net for that one goal.

Brodziak is a much more natural fit with that line. I’m a Poo-rooter but Brodziak is the guy for that combo of player types.

Stortini marathon fight was fun. I wonder who would have delivered the death blow if they had continued on. It looked like Storts was getting his second wind.

Souray machine keeps pumpin out quarters. I can’t wait to see this guy come playoff time. Crummy penalty at the end but I’m not sure that gets called 6 out of 10 times.

Visnovsky didn’t dent as many shinpads tonight. Good play all around.

Strudwick knows how to win me over sometimes. His rush from the penalty box was great.

JDD played an okay game. Looked very good on some plays and fizzled on others. I don’t see a goalie trade right now but I wouldn’t be surprised to see JDD sent to Springfield soon. What that would mean, I’m not sure….Trade of a different nature?

MacTavish is great. I really wonder what that guy was saying to him.

140. Coach pb9617 says:

Ship him out now. Take your chances with Smid, Peckham and Roy. Use the cash to sign Jagr and send Gagner to the A or juniors or whatever.

Ship out a goalie at the deadline for the wise old vet D and you’re set.

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Moreau – Brodziak – Cole
    Nilsson – Cogliano – Jagr

As someone said yesterday, this GM thing is easy.

141. Peeeete. says:

Dennis: keep on this Peeters kick, savagely. I’d love to know how in hell he’s qualified to do anything better than pushing grocery carts and giving instructions on the side; maybe coaching his son in midget. Everyone seems to ignore this. I think it’s kinda a big deal, given the Oilers’ goaltending pit in the 2000s.

-Ramone

142. mc79hockey says:

Wow. Random commenter from the past.

143. Coach pb9617 says:

Joaquin Gage is such a great name

What the hell is this? No way. No damn way, folks. Whatever brought this on we’re not doing it here. No damn way.

145. quain says:

Game Day Threads have gotten weird lately. This stuff, Traktor’s fourteen page post about how he’s a fifteen year old boy and we all need to suck it… it’s all just weird.

146. Schitzo says:

Man, what’d I miss?

147. HBomb says:

Yeah, no kidding, what did we miss? Deleted posts?

148. relic says:

and another couple deleted posts… anyway, back to hockey.

cam ward bites the dust in CAR. how much longer can this three headed G-monster survive?

149. HBomb says:

Meanwhile, in Toronto, Brophy talks about how the Leafs should just go out and trade for a franchise player…..

Yeah, those are easy deals to make. Right.

What’s this about a Cam Ward injury?

150. CrazyCoach says:

My theory is that the Oil will never beat the Stars as long as Modano is in the NHL, and MacT is with the Oilers.

Here's hoping Modano doesn't move into Stars management after he retires.

As we look at the stats again, our beloved Oil sit tied with NHL Western superpowers such as the Blues, Coyotes, and the Avalanche and sit a mere two points ahead of the fore-mentioned Stars.

MacT and Huddy fighting with a fan? Yeah fans can be the biggest jerks and they may even use the most derogatory remarks in the world (Redskin and Squa&f&$#^er were two of my faves), but don't ever get into it with them.

Looks to me like two guys who need a change of scenery or some time off.

151. quain says:

I heard that MacT likes swiss cheese with his pastrami. Just another reason it’s time for him to be fired.

152. relic says:

Hbomb,

apparently he left part way through their loss to the ducks. can’t find anyhting to indicate how serious it is though.

153. Kev says:

I’ve wandered over to ON to see if Brownlee or Gregor has any interesting tidbits to offer and of course good ‘ol Jonathan. But when it comes to Game Day Blogs, Lowetide yours are now the Red Wings of them all. Glad to see there’s no racist, wife beating, etc. comments here in attempts at humour.

154. Doogie2K says:

Hey, now, getting into it with fans is just old-time hockey. I remember an odd video on YouTube of an early Oilers NHL game against the Penguins in which Slats actually took down a piece of glass behind the bench in the midst of a brawl and a bunch of Oilers nearly joined the Civic Arena crowd. (As an aside, you don’t hear good hecklers like you used to: Don Cherry had a couple of favourites from the Forum, and now all I hear is variants of “you suck,” nothing witty. Maybe it’s the loud music at the arena. Maybe we’ve just gone soft.)

But seriously, I can see why MacT would be just a wee bit frustrated — it’s Dallas and Modano left all alone again — and why he wouldn’t have any patience for dipshit fans. It’s not like he can rub it in the guy’s face afterwards, like when he flashed the “seven” sign to that guy in Raleigh a couple of years back.

155. Dennis says:

I won’t be able to log the game in Stl but I just tallied the losses vs LA and in Dal and basically nothing positive happens when the 24-43 duo are on the ice. I really can’t figure out why MacT keeps staying with these guys and why 5 can’t draw in.

The other thing is there isn’t enough talent on this team to overcome such a gawd-awful PK.

We can talk around everything all the time but we’re dead in the water if the PK remains the same. Now the thing is how do you change it? Do you replace two of the current 4th liners with real PK guys? And where do you find them?

And for the love of gawd can we find out why garon is getting killed? He got light up by the Pens but that’s not like the Panthers are putting the boots to you, either. So you come back with the kid in NJ and then he plays BTB, which looked curious, and then he plays again vs TO. Why? Does anyone really think he’s gonna be able to carry the fucking mail?

MacT’s a bright guy and I like following his plan move-for-move and I love listening to his quotes. But he’s making a lot of wrong moves this year thus far and now it’s 23 games in and all of a sudden the goodwill from that tough seven game trip’s disappearing amidst losses to young and potentially shitty teams like LA and flat out shitty teams like TO and Dal.

So all of a sudden we should begin to look inward when we talking about soft spots in the sked.

We ARE the soft spot.

156. oilerdago says:

Ya think that Tambo/Lowe could trade Poo for Reasoner straight up to help our PK?

(just want to see if we can get this up to 400 comments)

157. CrazyCoach says:

MacT’s behavior with the fans shows a much larger problem. Cheap theatrics to get fans to think about the good old days doesn’t cut through the fact that this team is in danger once again, of missing out on the playoffs. Even dinosaurs like Don Cherry can figure that out.

What is the over/under on Tambo doing the deed before Christmas?

I also notice that people in here are consistently asking questions that relate primarily to team tactics/systems, that MacT and his entire staff don’t seem to have an answer for, or even notice their is a problem.

When you’re PK sucks and you play the three-headed monster in goal, throw players under the bus consistently, and just generally look like you don’t care by the way you act….

Well, those are signs that point to a change.

158. TXOilfan says:

For any who are wondering what that fan said to MacT last night I can tell almost exactly what was said….I am the fan. An Oilers fan, Canadian.

Frustrated at the way the game was lost and the first period played, the comment I made that got MacT’s attention was “you guys are embarrassing Canada!” After that things moved in a hurry. I told them it would be nice if they would just try and they might want to hit someone. Then I repeated the try comment something like “I love you guys but your not trying”. That was it. No names, no profanity. I am still a little surprised my comment was even acknowledged. Believe it or not, I could not hear what they were saying. I had no idea that MacT thought about a swing, Huddy pushed the glass and that was it.

So the Dallas Police officer asked me to stay a few minutes…some radio talk back and forth and then they told me I could leave. The officer that “invited” me to stay said MacT was being a “hothead.”

I have only posted here once to thank Lowetide for the blog. I read it daily and love the posts. Being there and maybe not being as versed in the details of the game as many of you here on Lowetide, I did not see it as a good game by the Oilers. They were not playing the Dallas of old. I will leave that analysis to others.

Anyway for what it is worth I am not a MacT hater, quite the opposite actually. In my view, it is the players. Had I known they would even acknowledge me, and the rearview mirror being what it is, I wish I had said nothing

159. Schitzo says:

See, THAT is how you inspire this thing to top 400 posts.

Cool that you posted, don’t feel bad. Maybe it lit a fire under someone’s ass.

161. CK1 says:

Way to go TXOILFAN, I hope they can now take that anger and passion they had for you and funnel it thru the damm team, it is so frustrating as an oiler fan watching this game they seem to think is hockey, it’s like watching the some triple a team play a pro team……

162. IceDragoon says:

Good day.

OK, I’ve tried to find out more about Garon’s mysterious “flu(s)”… to no avail, sorry. We’re all scratching our heads together I’m afraid. Whatever is going on between MacT/Peeters/Garon is staying behind closed doors.

Tho, I didn’t think to ask my friend if he could travel thru time…
    ;-D

fwiw – Gene Principe was on team1260 this morning. Gene said that Garon had dinner with the rest of team on Friday evening. He then called MacT first thing in the morning to say he’d been up all night spewing from both ends, and didn’t think he could play.

If that is the case, I can’t see how he could have possibly gone out drinking mere hours later.

curiouser and curiouser

On the game – A few costly HUAs (Dallas… Modano… gaaack), but the team game looks to be coming along.

It’s December, so… I’m an elf.
    8^D
    I’ll put in a good word with Santa for a vet rhc to take on the second wave, and a big DD.

I know it’s in the other thread, but…

Thank you for the kind words, Pat.

L8r
    Louise

163. HBomb says:

…and a big DD…

Don’t those usually come in pairs?

164. Doogie2K says:

TXOilFan: Sorry for calling you a dipshit, I guess. :(

165. IceDragoon says:

HBomb: Don’t those usually come in pairs?

Damm… you’re right, HBomb. I completely forgot about making that same mistake in 1968.

Thank you, Santa.