Oilers Recall Reddox

The Oilers recalled Liam Reddox today. It’s a bit of a surprise in that there were a few forwards who had played well enough to get the call, among them Keith Partridge (10 assists) and Ryan Potulny (8 goals).

A clue may come from a quote from last season. Falcons coach Kelly Buchberger was quoted as saying “night in and night out, he’s been our Ryan Smyth. He goes to the net all the time. He’s used in every situation.”

I suspect that’s the reason for the recall. Schremp, Potulny, even a player like Trukhno who has a wider range of skills, all of those players appear to offer more lumber than leather.

Reddox would appear to be a 4line role player who can help the big club in a defined role outside the top 6F.

Reddox was called up as Ladislav Smid was placed on IR. This means the Oilers will roll 6D and make an emergency callup in case of injury.

As an aside, I believe the best F in Springfield this season has been Gilbert Brule and if not for his being very close to the line re: waiver eligibility he would definitely be the first callup.

Which begs the question: what are they waiting for?

36 Responses to "Oilers Recall Reddox"

1. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Okay, I’ll bite. What?

fcm: Darned if I know. Brule appears to have established he can hit Triple A pitching so bringing him up to stay should be a no brainer.

He’s better than a couple of guys in the show and that’s for sure.

3. Matt N says:

I actually went to the bookmark I have on the Springfield site to look up this new, unknown prospect named Keith Partridge. Very nice.

4. Matt N says:

Is it any coincidence that Reddox got the call right after the coaching staff got a look at Boulerice in practice?

5. Fake Craig McTavish says:

LT:

Is Brule completely healthy?

I think he is. 3-1-4 +2 and 11 shots in the last 3 games.

7. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Then it’s puzzling unless someone gets a ticket out of town.

8. Traktor says:

You bring Brule up and you only have a few games before he can get plucked off waivers.

Do you really want to call him up to play 5-7 minutes a night? Isn’t that how he lost his confidence in the first place?

Brule is best suited playing a huge role in the AHL this year so I have no problems with Reddox gettting the call.

9. Mr DeBakey says:

This morning I woke up with this feeling
    I didn’t know how to deal with and so I just decided to myself
    I’d hide it to myself and never talk about it
    And did not go and shout it when you walked into the room
    I think I love you

I think I love you
    so what am I so afraid of
    I’m afraid that I’m not sure of
    a love there is no cure for
    I think I love you
    isn’t that what life is made of
    Though it worries me to say that
    I never felt this way

10. Dennis says:

- Tambellini, if he is the REAL GM, has constantly stated that when they’re bringing up guys from the A, they’re not gonna ask square holes to find into round pegs; that’s my way of putting it but he said offensive guys will be recalled for offensive guys and played with offensive players and the same holds true for defensive players. The Oilers are looking for a 4th liner so they called one up.

- Reddox up means either trouble for Pouliot or Stortini and/or it means that Boulerice will only be dusted off for certain games given the fact we’re now carrying 14 forwards. Schremp isn’t saddled with the waiver restrictions like Brule but it’s an interesting move nonetheless; Reddox seemed like he was going the way of old news after having some buzz in ’08 but not even the slightest bit of noise in the ’09 camp. And now he’s the first recall from the forward side? Odd to say the least. Unless he’s being brought up to kill penalties which I understand he’s been doing for the Falcons.

- Right now we’re going with 14 forwards, 6 D and 3 goalies. I just don’t think it makes any sense to be going with the bare minimum of dmen. We’ve already had two of those guys go down so now if it happens on a game day skate then we’re gonna be playing that game with 5 dmen.

- just how many games Exactly can Brule play before he’s subject to the waiver wire? Pat had a good point in the other thread that we should keep him in SF as long as possible and then bring him up for the playoffs because at that point we’ll need everyone on the 4th line to be actual players.

BTW, SF leading 1-0 tonight after 40 and Brule has an assist.

11. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Marty Sakic scores his 4th.

On pace for 20.

12. Dennis says:

42 more saves in a 2-1 SO win tonight for DD and the Falcons.

I don’t know how to shorten links but you can find the summary at theahl.com

Dubnyk’s SP is now .925!!!! and he’s 7th in the AHL in that category.

He’s had a tremendous NOV run.

14. Dennis says:

What the hell is going on with the high SV PCT’s in the A?

15. Bill Needle says:

The lack of offensive talent.

16. doritogrande says:

Eberle with another two point night. 8th in WHL scoring. Not to be outdone, Philippe Cornet with two assists. He’s over a point per game also.

17. Showerhead says:

Do you ever come away as a big fan of a player who you’ve only seen for a few minutes of game time? For me, that player is Gilbert Brule and that few minutes was during a pre-season game I can’t even remember at this point. Irrational, yes, but I’m somehow really pulling for him and from that perspective I would prefer a good half season, at least, of dominating the A.

Does anyone know if playoff games count towards waiver eligibility? IE if there were, for example, ten games left before Brule became eligible, could you call him up with 9 games left in the RS and roll him out wherever he fits in the bottom nine for the playoffs? If it worked out that way it would seem like the kind of steady elevation that might work towards him taking a 2009/2010 spot and keeping it.

I suppose the question is how good does he have to be in the A before it’s ridiculous as opposed to confidence/rhythm building?

18. Showerhead says:

Dennis – Using ( and ) instead of < and > for html tags, and assuming I understand what you want to do correctly:

(a href="http://somereallycrazyfuckinglonglink&quot ;) The text that applies to the link (/a)

Try it and hopefully I still know my html well enough to have given you the answer you want.

19. Doogie2K says:

I don’t know how to shorten links but you can find the summary at theahl.com

TinyURL.com turns this into http://tinyurl.com/654arv.

Question re: Reddox. Will he have passed through puberty by the time he gets to Edmonton?

20. Asiaoil says:

A good run after a bit of a shakey start for the big man – but it’s only Novemeber LT – so let’s wait and see how Dubnyk rolls for the rest of the year. Still he’s playing a lot and facing a good deal of rubber – clearly the biggest reason that SPR is winning at the moment. So all good for now……but it’s a long season.

As an interesting comparative – Marc Denis shows you what older guys who can barely cut in the NHL can do in the AHL. He’s sporting a .941 and I expect him to stay above .925 for the year. This is why I’m not at all impressed by average SP results in the AHL for guys with experience – it’s AAA batting and an NHL quality goalie should put up gaudy numbers – not average numbers.

21. Phil says:

Maybe I see this differently than most, but doesn’t Brule favor a crash and bang style? Seems to me that would fit well on an energy 4th line, and he could be thrown on the 2nd PP unit to maybe freshen things up.

Here’s to hoping that the Ice Fairy made a visit to Rexall and fixed that godawful curling rink ice they had against the Leaves.

22. Dennis says:

If we are to believe KP, Reddox has been recalled to help out with the PK. I sorta figured this was the deal; when I logged onto the Falcons official site today there was a story on Sestito and I wondered why they didn’t bring up if that was the main current criterion for a recall.

Anyway, here’s the quote from KP:

“We need help killing penalties, and Liam will get a chance there,” said Kevin Prendergast, assistant general manager of the Oilers.

So, interesting that KP’s in SF for the weekend or perhaps he’s there a lot, just checking in. What I saw of Brule in the EX season wasn’t anything great in terms of creating chances; though he did look Glencrossian in his forecheck and penchant for hitting. I like Pat’s idea of bringing him in at the end and readying him for the playoffs but I imagine he’ll be here before that if he keeps up his PPG game.

Considering the four lines that played on Thurs night vs TO, I’ll take those 12 players plus Brule and Macintyre and those are the ones that will be in the mix come the last season play. It’s hard to speculate how many F we’ll actually be able to carry because we don’t know if or when we’ll clear up the three G situation and that dictates how the breakdown will go. And there’s always the possibility that we’ll bring in a vet forward as well.

I think Boulerice is just stopping over and we’ll get a hint at who else’s status is shaky once we see who Reddox draws in for tonight.

23. Dennis says:

Phil: the Old idea that “the Oilers have great ice” is up there with “Gagner’s great in the SO.”

89 went something like 5 for his first 6 but he’s been simply awful since that, hasn’t he? Can someone check that out and include his missed PS vs Luongo earlier this year just for shits and giggles?

As for the ice, I guess Katz is waiting for the new sheet at the new building but I really wish he would do something to fix the current surface.

24. Schitzo says:

If it’s the PK that needs work, does Brodziak come out? That’d mean Poo centres the fourth line and hopefully between 78 and 85 they get some of the PK minutes normally given to 51.

25. Black Dog says:

well appparently Boulerice and Reddox are drawing in today so that means two guys out of the mix.

And MacT went out of his way to criticize Nilsson in the Journal so I would have to say Rowbert is coming out.

Stortini was singled out for some praise so I would be surprised if he came out but if he sticks what the hell kind of lineup are they going to have? Does Brodziak come out? Pouliot? Cogliano? Is the fourth line Reddox between Boulerice and Storini?

Yikes.

Too many passengers on this team right now. I know the underlying numbers are good and all that and the record at this point is positive considering but there are just way too many guys (cough Penner cough) who aren’t doing much of anything, imo.

Dennis pointed out in a thread the other night how Penner got pushed off the puck by Alex Steen of all people.

Guy is playing soft and he is not the only one.

26. Coach pb9617 says:

That’s not begging the question. That’s raising the question.

27. Bruce says:

Dennis: By my count from this source, Gagner went 4 for his first 7 and 1 for his last 10 last year. So far this season it’s 0-1 in both SO and PS. Luongo has stopped him three different times. 4 of Gagner’s 5 successes were “game deciding goals”, and pretty much all of them made the highlight reels, but as of now 5-of-19 is officially Below Average.

OT: Anybody watching the Eskimos game? I’ve got a game day thread going at Oil Droppings. You’re welcome to drop in.

28. Slipper says:

Practice post

(a href=http://timeonice.com/playershots.php?team=COL&first=20001&last=21230)Colorado's shot data(/a)

29. Slipper says:

Okay. That was a miserable fail.

30. Bruce says:

Slipper, rather than parentheses use the lesser than/greater than symbols. < >

31. Slipper says:

Yeehaw! Thanks Bruce. Sorry to everyone else.

32. Dennis says:

Bruce: Thanks for that. I know he’s been junk for a long time now. The SO isn’t old enough for us to know how many guys bounce back after being poor for a long stretch but I think 89 will eventually figure it out again; or at least to some extent.

In the meantime, I’d stop using him.

Regarding lineup changes, BTN says that 51 really hasn’t been a problem with the PK so I’m not sure if him out and someone else in will solve anything but at EV I haven’t noticed him or his line creating chances like he used to last year; even before Glencross showed up 51 was getting chances but just wasn’t finishing.

The current problems with the Oilers are they no tender to lean on and a terrible PK unit who’s ineptitude is putting pressure on everything else on the club. A more robust PP would certainly help but I’m only a few games away from steeling myself to the reality that this unit will always get less from more.

The Oilers can pull a couple of guys for fellows like Reddox and Boulerice who’ll play ~ 8 min or less but it’s really not gonna solve anything major. It may kick guys in the ass but the fellows who’ll be sitting tonight aren’t the ones who’ll be expected to driving the fucking bus in the first fucking place:)

33. Schitzo says:

Yup, Brodziak sits, as does Penner.

34. Doogie2K says:

I would interpret that as a warning shot across a few bows.

35. Ribs says:

Damn. I had a post ready to go predicting Reddox splitting ice time with Penner this morning after the latters poor performance last game. I hit cancel because I thought it was a bit much. Weird.