Trouble

I’ve written about Craig MacTavish a lot on this blog, but fear MacT will soon be a blast from the past. Edmonton’s coach has his share of detractors on the Al Gore invention but I’ll thank you not to count me as one of them.

The Edmonton Oilers are a team with many unanswered questions, a team with many facts that seem to be at cross purposes, a team that is paid at the cap to play like crap.

In the words of the very talented Johnny Mercer, Something’s Gotta Give.

Kevin Lowe was talking in the paper today about the Oilers needing to work on the studio mix of the third and fourth lines (nothing about throttling today, though) and GM Steve Tambellini was busy at the airport sending out Tim Sestito.

Craig MacTavish? After his team went through the motions last night he said “it’s clear the will was there” and maybe he even believed it. I think he probably saw it in some of the veterans (Lubo, Moreau, Souray, Staios, Roloson, Horcoff, Hemsky) and some of the kids were working (Cogliano, Gagner, Gilbert). However, it looked to me like there were more than a few passengers on the runaway train last night in Edmonton.

So we’re left with these facts that seem to run up against each other. We can say “something’s gotta give” but the response is “Katz is a good friend of Lowe and MacT and there’s no chance either gets fired.”

And that’s good, but then comes the question “what if they keep on losing, despite being a cap team?” and after awhile it becomes obvious that in the history of organized sports (not a long period, mind you, but enough to draw some conclusions) it falls to the coach to take the hit during a lost season.

Why? Well you can’t fire the team and they just hired Steve Tambellini to be GM so it makes little sense to get rid of him. I’m not convinced MacT is the culprit here but do believe he’ll be the one to go.

Is it certain? No, this team has talent and could go on a run. They did in 2005-06 at a time when the coach was in just about the same spot he is now. What’s the difference between then and now? The Oilers had one specific problem (goaltending) and six guys who had shoot the moon contracts. The theme for this edition of the Oilers seems to be “paid in full, awaiting delivery.”

414 Responses to "Trouble"

Newer Comments »
  1. mc79hockey says:

I really hope whoever gave that quote to Spector gets it in the neck.

2. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Just a guess. Moreau

MC: What quote?

4. mc79hockey says:

“A veteran Oilers player, who requested anonymity added: “Maybe a trade, then the coach. After this long, a change might be good.””

I’d be alright with it being Moreau. He’s never really been one of my favourites. Maybe the coach would have a bit more rope if he hadn’t been collecting $2MM a year to watch hockey the past two years.

Jesus. I didn’t see that. Well, then he’s in deeper trouble than I thought. Man. This is like Shawshank, they got the wrong damn guy.

6. Dennis says:

I think he’s dicked around way too much early on and the whole thing with trusting Peeters and trying to break down Garon is a bit much.

I still believe in the guy but even I don’t want to see this season slip away and you get the feeling that some guys have turned their backs and they aren’t turning back.

I had TO outchancing them 13-12 at Rexall two weeks ago and last night I had the Kings doing the same to the tune of 18-9.

That really shouldn’t be happening and, yeah, something’s gotta give.

7. mc79hockey says:

I really think it’s one of Staios, Moreau, Horcoff, Roloson, Pisani or Hemsky. Pretty Judasesque stuff if it was one of them.

It better not be Roloson or the author of the piece would lose some credibility. Roloson is 60 games from the end of his Oilers career.

Or less.

9. mc79hockey says:

Roloson’s the one guy I could see saying that, based on the nuanced impressions I have of them from the various 30 second interviews I’ve seen with them all over the years. He strikes me as a fairly bloodless fellow; I remember seeing him get interviewed in G6 of the SCF and he seemed content that he wasn’t playing, in the sense that there was nothing he could do about it, so why be upset.

Pisani seems unlikely because he’s probably not at the rink these days. That leaves four, one of whom (Hemsky), is notorious for not liking to talk to reporters. I have a hard time seeing him throw the coach under the bus like that. Moreau, Horcoff, Staios and Roloson seem like the smart bets to me.

10. mc79hockey says:

One more: if I was a shit disturbing reporter in Edmonton (if such a creature existed), tomorrow might be a fun day to ask the veteran players if they thought that a change in the coaching would be good and whether they were Spector’s source. Just to stir the pot a little.

I think he’s finished – this shit is like bone cancer. Once you’ve got guys (verterans!) whispering to reporters that the coach should go, particularly here where the veterans are uniformly part of the leadership core, it emboldens the kids and those who aren’t fans of the coach. Dead man walking.

Well if it’s Roloson then I’m not terribly off the mark in saying that changes the force of the remarks greatly and although Spector is a helluva reporter it also makes his article ring a little less than true.

12. Dennis says:

Just read the Spectorlation;) and all I have to say is I’m not totally against bringing in a new guy but it’s a pretty fucking weak move that someone spoke on the record and knowing MacT the way we do I think there’s going to be a fucking witch hunt to find out who made the quote.

It’s not the kind of interesting development you want happening to your club but it will have to do in lieu of, you know, WINS.

13. Bob Arctor says:

Article is here:

Why are you mad mc79?
    A player is just confirming whats apparent to everyone; some of the team has lost the will to play for MacT.

Well I think we could see it a little when MacT threw people under the bus and they kept playing at the same level.

One thing: if this does happen I’d like a local reporter to point out this was a team effort, front office wise.

15. mc79hockey says:

I’m not mad; it doesn’t affect me personally one way or the other. I think that, assuming that it’s one of the six who I identified, they owe MacT enough that they should confine themselves to making these comments to the brass, not making them to reporters. Whoever said it, what they’ve done is create a situation where it’s now going to be a media frenzy. Whoever did this has made things more difficult for MacT and it seems likely that it’s someone who owes him a certain debt.

I don’t think that you do that to people with whom you have a long standing relationship. The quote serves no purpose. It makes things a lot harder for the coach. It’s terrible.

16. Dennis says:

I’ll take Staios or Moreau because 24′s been punted down to 3rd pairing duty and that might be rubbing him the wrong way and remember that him and macT had it out last year in Van.

18′s always been a fav of macT but maybe he’s pissed because his days riding 83′s coattails were so fleeting.

In any case I believe MacT has been hard done by.

17. Dennis says:

Two things, though I’m sure I’ll come back when someone else throws out something else that’s reply-worthy:

- I could go either way on Stauffer but he asks some thought-provoking questions in the scrum and I think he’d be the guy to get to the bottom of this if he wasn’t the new Ched-der.

- it’s really too bad that Lowe gets to eat breakfast after breakfast while macT eats shit because more than some of this is his doing.

18. mc79hockey says:

You’ve seen this enough times with players to know how it goes Lain. Lowe might do the right thing and show up for the press conference and face the heat, but the media knows who they’re going to need to be on good terms with the day after. No doubt there will be others in the organization putting their spin on it.

Hell, as long as we’re speculating, Spector quotes a source high up in the Oilers organization as saying that firing the coach is an option. Who’d be privy to that and would tell Spector such a thing? Whatever I might think about Lowe’s skills as a GM, I’ve always thought him to be a thoroughly honourable fellow and I don’t believe he’d do that to a friend. I have a hard time thinking KP would be doing that. Tambo…I don’t know him well enough.

Who else would know?

19. Dennis says:

I”m back; that wasn’t long now was it?:)

I think Ty made an excellent point when he said that now guys in the non-MacT camp will feel emboldened by this quote.

Can’t you just imagine Penner throwing a pizza party for everyone and talking shit about MacT? And Roli’s a contrary old fuck anyway so he’d always a candidate to be perfect company for misery.

Add Moreau to that list too and Staios for that matter. I’ll be disappointed and shocked if 10 or 83 drew the blade but the other vets not so much.

Katz. Is Katz that loose with his tongue? Jesus.

21. mc79hockey says:

Obviously, I don’t know any of these people. I’m speaking in terms of having observed them over the years.

22. Dennis says:

Katz spent this summer begging Laraque to take a serious overpay so I don’t think we should rule anything out.

Do you?

23. Coach pb9617 says:

My answer in the other thread is Souray. No way a Mac guy does that.

No, but Christ Dennis that means we’ve got 10 years of weird owner to look forward to.

“I was on a plane with Brad Marsh and so I hired him.”

Lordy.

25. Jonathan says:

Who else would know?

Laforge, perhaps? Isn’t Cal Nichols still with the organization.

26. mc79hockey says:

Katz. Is Katz that loose with his tongue? Jesus.

If you had to bet your last $100 on who the front office source is, would you put it on Katz? I wouldn’t. If I had to bet, I’d bet LaForge. He’s got an edge to him that the others guys don’t have and he’s like a grizzly protecting its children when it comes to the Oilers brand, even if he has to do in other who have contributed to the Oiler brand.

27. Dennis says:

If Souray did something like that then I hope he ends up getting it in the end.

MacT has given him the keys to the car Plus he gave him permission to get his daughter drunk.

Seriously, what else could be want?

28. mc79hockey says:

My answer in the other thread is Souray. No way a Mac guy does that.

Souray’s played all of 47 games for the guy. The reference to it being too long strikes me as strange for him. Plus, he’s getting big minutes and off to a fast start – he should be fat and happy.

29. Dennis says:

LT: name some recluses who are sensible.

I’ve always felt MacT is a coach who’ll live to fight another day. Do we all agree another head coaching job is in his future (should this thing we’re talking about happen)?

31. Black Dog says:

Yeah I’m with coach.

MacT made Horcoff. Roli is MacT’s guy. Moreau and Staios are buddies. Say what you will about Moreau but his effort has been there and the guy is a loyalist. Staios is his best friend.

Hemsky is playing terrific and Pisani doesn’t strike me as the type.

I could see it being Souray.

Regardless, if someone high up in the org. is talking about it then his days are numbered.

Dennis: lol. Point made.

33. Black Dog says:

LT – yeah he’ll get a job again. He’s a good coach.

As for org. LaForge strikes me as the guy but that’s just cause I don’t like the guy.

34. mc79hockey says:

LT – I’ve got no doubt that he’s got another head coaching job in his future. As far as I can see, it all depends on whether you think that the Oilers were dripping in talent or not. Outside of Edmonton, I don’t think that that’s the perception. He’d be great in one of the newer American markets from a media perspective too, but he can do it pretty much anywhere and handle the heat. I’ll be cheering for him if he ends up somewhere else. Hopefully he gets a competent GM.

Yeah, I think a lot of the fanbase may follow him, at least on some level. For those who remember the Ron Low era, what is a fair comparison between a Ron Low quote and a MacT media scrum?

36. Bob Arctor says:

Wouldn’t Garon count as one of the few vets who received the short end of the stick this year?

Or would that be way too obvious?

37. Black Dog says:

I guess it depends on who is considered a veteran.

Garon is.

Would Penner be?

Cole?

38. mc79hockey says:

Yeah, but would you describe him as a “veteran Oilers player”? Again, it’d be strange if he was saying MacT had been there too long.

Incidentally, for those saying that the players have tuned the coach out because they’re sick of hearing his story, all but six of them are new to the team since 2006-07. The vets are mostly playing alright and where there are problems, Staios, it’s not lack of effort.

I don’t know how the other 17 guys in the room can be sick of hearing him already. Are the Oilers supposed to get a new coach each year?

39. Dennis says:

LT: as soon as that popped in my head, I thought, “fuck, that makes a lot of sense.”:)

And I said I’d give the guy five more games but that’s more of me wanting not to have to sit through yet another fucking playoff-less season and really not wanting to sit through too many more games like the last two home losses vs TO and LA. I think he’ll turn up with someone else and I think he’ll be successful. maybe the fault this year — outside of the roster holes — was that he felt he had too much roped and fucked around a little too much and had too much faith in Pete Peeter’s opinion and now’s be backed up against the wall.

I still have a huge problem with this unnamed player making the grip public this. This is edm where it seems like there’s nothing else but the Oilers so as soon as he told this to Spector he knows it’s out there on the record and now other players can feel OK about quitting as well and moreover the org has to take this seriously and say, “what if there’s more than one guy who feels this way.”?

40. mc79hockey says:

A tremendously selfish thing for whoever it was to do. Just disgusting. Say what you will about MacT, but he’s always been pretty fair to people.

I think we have to give Spector some credit here. If it was, say, Garon, wouldn’t he measure that comment against the current situation? I think MC’s list is bang on here, and honestly don’t think Souray is a likely candidate either.

Hemsky doesn’t strike me as a guy who would even respond to the question with something that fit, Horcoff is not that guy unless he’s the best actor on the planet (based on what we know about his dedication to the team) and that leaves us with the guy MacT named captain, a foot soldier in Staios and Crusty Roloson.

I know where my money goes.

42. PunjabiOil says:

On another note, if anyone cares, PrinceWaterhouseCoopers has stolen the Oilers as a client from Pennock Co.

43. Coach pb9617 says:

It’s gotta be Garon or Souray. Unless Mac has totally gone around the bend in the locker room, which is a possibility considering his on ice performance, I can’t see his guys doing this.

Et tu Rifles?

44. mc79hockey says:

The only problem with the Roloson theory is that I have a hard time imagining him choosing to talk to a reporter one on one, off the record. Seems too courteous.

The other thing in Roloson’s defence, is that he has no reason to be bitching now either or to be throwing MacT under the bus. He’s getting all the starts, MacT probably played a big role in him making $11MM…it seems pretty bizarre that he’d knife him.

Well it’s a clown move no matter the guy, and I agree with Dennis (I think it was Dennis) that MacT is probably going to go “Capone with a baseball bat” until someone confesses.

46. Fake Craig McTavish says:

If you eliminate the impossible and the unlikely, you normally arrive at an answer.

In this case, I’d say it’s likely the individuals with the least to lose by speaking out.

47. Traktor says:

Craig MacTavish is the only coach in the league that’s going to play Roli so it’s not him.

48. mc79hockey says:

Well, it’s over. I just looked at the HF thread about this and the crazy person who accuses everyone of Oiler bashing is saying that MacT brought it on himself. If she’s criticizing him, I assume that it’s because she senses he’s not long for E-town.

LT and Dennis: I hope he does. Find the most popular guy in the room, make him skate while everyone else drinks beer and eats pizza watching until there’s a confession. Don’t dress the guy either. Whoever gave that quote should be publicly shamed.

49. Dennis says:

It’s not required for Spector to NOT try and throw is off the scent and he could me a veteran who’s also an Oilers instead of a veteran Oiler but you’ve got Garon who’d benefit from a trade and who has a legit beef with macT and this seems to point to him.

Also funny that Spector’s still hanging around and that LT brought up that idiot Ron Low because I believe Spector was the first media guy who mercifully called for Low to be fired. I’m pretty sure the column appeared after a home loss to NJ that was absolutely lacking in effort.

So it appears that Spector’s the grim reaper for bench bosses.

BTW, I am reminded of everything I hate about this team when I see the media fail to jump on and lampoon Lowe for his throttling remarks.

50. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Tencer just posted a link of HF to an interview session between Tambellini and Spector.

I still can’t believe the throttle remarks got by. I mean, really. Who even says that with a straight face?

52. Bob Arctor says:

Spector using the phrase “veteran” lets his source remain ambiguous.
    It could be anyone whose been here for more than one year.

LT: Spector’s measuring stick might not be as high you think. Spector has been critical of both the coaching and management this year. See here and here

53. Dennis says:

LT: someone from the 1920′s?

54. Black Dog says:

After the Pens game I think some of us began to speculate that MacT was losing the team.

Spector had a column just about that time saying that he might be in trouble.

I would say its going to happen.

I still think it has to be a newer guy. None of those six guys make sense (the six from ’06 I mean)

55. Black Dog says:

B.A. is right – depends on how you read it. Is it a guy who has been an Oiler for a long time or a veteran player period?

56. Traktor says:

Is Smid a veteran?

57. mc79hockey says:

LT – You’re an old media guy. I’m listening to the clip that Tencer posted and it sounded like the media all got together and planned the questioning for today. The thing just turned into a coaching gangbang about part way through. Question after question on the coach. I should send Brownlee to do ED’s for me – he’s just tying to pin Tambi down.

That Tencer scrum is worth listening to, Spector sounded like a guy who wanted to fight.

It’s here.

59. mc79hockey says:

Even if you expand it to mean any veteran, you add what, Cole, Lubo, Strudwick, Souray and Garon? Garon is the only one who makes any sense to me at all.

60. Black Dog says:

Blood in the water.

MC: I think Spector and then Brownlee felt there was a story there. That’s what I got out of it. Good for them, it trailed off after awhile into softball again.

62. mc79hockey says:

Well it’d be weird if Tambellini was the source in management, given his comments there. Who does that leave? Lowe, KP, LaForge and Katz.

63. Black Dog says:

Ty – how about Strudwick? ;)

Naw its either Garon or Penner. Who else makes sense?

If it’s Katz then get ready for crazy. We’ll have a banjo player doing the anthem, purple skates and DISCO SUCKS nights. Mark my words.

65. mc79hockey says:

Well if it’s Penner, I’d want to cut off his balls and put them in a jar on my desk if I was Lowe. That said, I can’t see him caring enough to make the comment.

If it’s Garon, Spector has something to answer for because it’s pretty fucking irresponsible to run with an anonmyous quote from a pissed off backup goalie to imply that the coach has lost the room.

66. PunjabiOil says:

Could be Garon. As per Gregor on ON, Garon’s goaltending consultant was told to stay away from team.

You would hope Katz gets involved personally in the new recruitment process. I just can’t trust Lowe to hire someone who isn’t an acquaintance or drinking buddy.

Of course while we’re blaming MacT, we should acknowledge Kevin Lowe is responsible for this mess. Letting Glencross go at 1.2M (it was reported by Sportsnet that Glencross came back to the Oilers to see whether they would match Calgary’s offer) while then offering Laraque 1.5M was absurd.

The Penner trade looks horrific, given what Anaheim was able to obtain with the 12th overall pick (2 late first round picks), early 2nd, and early 3rd. Not only the cost, but the opportunity cost of having a heartless pansy eating up 4.25M out of a 57M (and declining) cap. Lowe went for the quick fix, when he could have simply signed a Ladislav Nagy for one year – or if he was desperate for going after an RFA, why did he choose Penner over Parise?

Other blunders include passing up on Ray Whitney (who went for a whopping 1.5M) and was interested in signing back here (he’s married to an East Indian Edmonton girl that wanted him to sign here).

And if MacT is such a mediocre coach, it ultimately falls to Lowe’s responsiblity for keeping him for so long. You have teams across the league firing coaches for much less; in Edmonton, it’s the extreme opposite.

The Edmonton Oilers are in a very poor state right now.

It’s quite sad, actually.

67. Black Dog says:

LT – Christ does Katz even exist? if it weren’t for the PC when he bought the team I wouldn’t believe it. I can’t see it being him. Your man doesn’t exactly seek out the limelight.

Ty – Spector’s job is to get readers – he certainly has the lot of us interested. It could be Garon for sure.

Thing is I think it is accurate. I think he has lost the room.

68. mc79hockey says:

And, I just want to say, if MacT gets done in for this fiasco of a hockey team without Lowe getting fired too or publicly acknowledging what a horrific job he did from June of 2006 forwards, I will officially be into ambivalent mode about the Oilers for the rest of the year. If they make the playoffs, great. If they crash and burn under the new guy…well maybe, just maybe, MacT wasn’t the problem.

69. Coach pb9617 says:

Well that’s interesting.

70. Black Dog says:

Haha, Ty, I guess you’ll be in ambivalent mode then.

Lowe is untouchable.

Its always the players. Now they need to sacrifice the coach but even if the remainder of the year is a disaster with a new coach it will be the players’ fault.

Lowe can do no wrong. You know that.

71. Coach pb9617 says:

Katz = Finley?

72. mc79hockey says:

Pat – Well, hopefully a bunch of guys say “It wasn’t me” tomorrow. I’d like to think that I have the character that, if I was one of the six and I read that in the papers, I’d tell the media after practice tomorrow, just out of the blue, that I wasn’t the guy who knifed the coach in the back and that I think it’s important that the coach and the rest of the guys in the room know that I’m the sort of the guy who deals with problems like this internally rather than through anonymous quotes to the media.

I mean, whoever did this is a real son of a bitch who deserves to get outed and ostracized. I dislike the Oilers FO as much as the next guy but you simply do not pour gas on a fire like this and leave your coach, GM and teammates to deal with the blaze.

73. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh let it go. That was Katz’ decision, not Lowe’s.

74. Fake Craig McTavish says:

My goodness, play the elimination game.

It’s very obvious from both the tenor and content of the quote that it was from a long-term member of the team.

Your candidates are then Moreau, Staios, Horcoff, Roloson or Hemsky.

Now ask who would Spector approach for a story like this?

Hemsky is out because he likely would avoid or evade.

Horcoff has too much to lose and is a MacT creation.

Staios is not now, nor ever was, outspoken.

It’s likely Roloson or Moreau.

Who has the least to lose?

75. Traktor says:

Lowe reminds me of JP Riccardi. Totally rebuilds farm team. Wins most of his trades. Put together a solid competitive team. His downfall like Kevin Lowe was his loyalty to his bench boss. Hopefully we don’t wait too long to fire Gibby and bring in Cito.

76. Black Dog says:

yeah coach but as GM Lowe had to be the guy to say – hey this guy is the better buy

For sure Ty and here’s hoping that that is what happens.

I will say that we’ll see that from 24, 10 and 18 for starters.

77. PunjabiOil says:

Oh let it go. That was Katz’ decision, not Lowe’s

It’s possible, but do we know for sure?

We’ve already seen Kevin Lowe consistently jack-off over enforcers this year (MacIntyre, Boulerice) who provide negligible value to their hockey teams.

In any event, not re-signing Reasoner is another blunder. Going into the season without an apparent plan on goaltenders is also absurd.

Only an HF clown would defend Kevin Lowe’s horrific performance as the GM of the Oilers.

78. slipper says:

Not that it matters, but Ray Whitney’s wife is not East Indian.

79. Black Dog says:

Yeah but Fake MacT that is the case if you read it as a longtime Oiler.

Moreau wouldn’t do it. Guy is old school.

Roli wouldn’t do it. Christ he’s the starter at 39 years old.

I think its a “veteran player” not a longtime Oiler.

80. slipper says:

Cole.

81. Coach pb9617 says:

Everyone else here points to Tambellini as the source of the enforcer signings. You think differently — any objective evidence?

Not that it matters, but Ray Whitney’s wife is not East Indian.

Hehehehehehehe.

82. slipper says:

I used to play with Eric Stall. I got traded to butt fuck Edmonton. I got started this season on the wrong fucking wing. I’ve been demoted to playing wing next some nobody named Pouliot and stone hand Moreau. I have a history of providing scathing quips from time to time, just ask Jim Rome. My on ice body language just screams “discontent”.

My name is Cole. I am your rat.

83. Coach pb9617 says:

I think its a “veteran player” not a longtime Oiler.

Same. I still think it’s Souray. Mac did make a comment about being surprised that he can actually play defense at one point…

84. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Black Dog said…
    Yeah but Fake MacT that is the case if you read it as a longtime Oiler.

Moreau wouldn’t do it. Guy is old school.

Roli wouldn’t do it. Christ he’s the starter at 39 years old.

I think its a “veteran player” not a longtime Oiler.

Well, that leaves you with Souray, Garon and Cole.

I just don’t see either Cole or Souray having an axe to grind at this point and Garon is just too obvious. I think Spector would have felt dirty going to him as a source under the circumstances.

If a veteran is speaking out this way he obviously knows that there is support for his opinion in the dressing room.

It’s Moreau or Roloson and I’d pick Moreau.

85. docweb says:

And this is why we love the Oil…a neverending source of entertainment and intrigue. My bet is on Horcoff…just his blase attitude after Smyth was traded. He played with the guy for years and all he can come up with…was the management party line. Cold.

86. PunjabiOil says:

Kevin Lowe, by his own admission, acknowledged, he holds the final approval for all transactions.

87. mc79hockey says:

My bet is on Horcoff…just his blase attitude after Smyth was traded.

Horc was pissed after Smyth was traded. We all joked about it because it was so obviously NOT the party line.

88. Traktor says:

If one of the players thought MacTavish was a weak link then there was no other to go about it. You tell Lowe and there’s a good chance MacTavish finds out.

Moreau is just being a good captain; doing what’s best for the team.

89. Coach pb9617 says:

My name is Cole. I am your rat.

Spector does have a long and loving relationship with Cole rumors.

90. slipper says:

I took this team to the 2006 Stanley Cup finals. I was benched last season in favour of a one trick Frnech Canadien, moved my family and pressed for a trade. This year I’ve been given plent of starts by the coaches in spite of them getting a bunch of heat over playing me in favour of Gumby. I’ve put up a top 15 in NHL save percentage in the meantime and if things continue to go well I should be able to find atleast a back-up position next season somewhere in the EC where I’ll be re-united with my family. The team’s not scoring but what the fuck do I care, I’m UFA in July, I’m getting starts, and if I just keep my mouth shut I might actually get my wish and be traded before the deadline.

My name is Duane. I am your rat.

You see, Cole’s admission is alot more convinving than Roloson’s.

91. Coach pb9617 says:

This is fun. It’s like a giant game of hockey clue.

I’ll take Colonel Mustard in the library with the lead pipe.

92. Kyle says:

I would hope it’s not one of Moreau, Staios, Horcoff, Pisani Roloson or Hemsky. MacT has given all of these guys more than enough rope to hang themselves over the years but pulled them all back at just the right time. Most of them (save Hemsky) are damn Phoenixs the way MacT resurrected them.

93. mc79hockey says:

Reddox is redheaded.

I’m just saying.

94. Black Dog says:

Ty, are you saying we should kick a ginger? Don’t let Loxy hear that.

95. slipper says:

I get told to shoot, so I shoot. I get told I should score more so I go and score more. I go end to end to score more. I am point per game palyer and I get a fat guy to skate with. He tell me he grew up in Manitoba wearing burlap dresses and can’t give me blood transfusion if I needed one; I get stabbed in the neck with broken bottle once, this serious consideration to me. I score. I pass but that two coloured eyed witch just flubs puck. I get hit but nobody does fuck all for me, no matter that I score and they don’t score.

My name is Ales Hemsky. I am rat.

English as a second language’ers can get caught up in bad short on syllable responses.

96. Black Dog says:

slipper, you are a genius

97. budorduke says:

Hey check outthis article, somewhat near the end:

Similar topic and Lowetide gets a mention. Albeit slightly skewed imo..

98. rickibear says:

“What’s the chances if someone told Lowe and Co what they thought of MacTavish that Lowe wouldn’t go and tell his best friend, Craig?

Moreau is just being a good captain; doing what’s best for the team.”

Tracktor: I’ve defended you in the past. That is just bat **** crazy.

Have you ever played on elite level sport were you shed blood for your team?

Well, that’s it. That’s the blog. We’re done. When someone posts ” pass but that two coloured eyed witch just flubs puck” we’ve reached the outer marker.

100. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m thankful for Slipper.

And holy Pete do I love this blog.

101. Schitzo says:

Gold, slipper.

102. pboy says:

Beautiful Slipper

103. Jeanshorts And Baggedmilk says:

I’ve read every single comment on this thread, and your love for MacTavish is absolutely astounding. YES Kevin Lowe needs to be held accountable for the decisions he made as GM. That’s in the past, and what can we do about it now?

Anyone that says this isn’t MacT’s fault has not been watching the same season as me I guess. Who is it that decided to make Pisani a center? and who put Cole on his wrong wing even though Cole told him that he played on the right side? Who is suggesting that the kids crash and bang instead of using their speed and ability to cycle the puck? Who draws up the PP that consists of only passing to Sheldon Souray? Who starts the goalie night after night that is 100% not in the teams future plans?

You guys are out of it. If you think only one veteran has lost confidence in the coach then you’re insane. It may not have been the best idea to give the quote to Spector, but guess what, I’m guessing it’s a lot more than just one player that feels that way. Can’t you tell by the way this team does not show up to play night in night out?

It’s the coaches job to motivate the players for the game and Craig MacTavish is not doing that. Lowetide, you said it yourself, what he did with Penner was a double edged sword. Well… He’s made his bed and now the players are making him lay in it.

104. mc79hockey says:

If Dustin Penner can’t give blood, it’s not because he’s a Mennonite but because he’s too lazy to keep beating his heart, pushing blood through his veins and into a plastic bag.

And agreed: it must be Hemsky.

105. B.C.B. says:

Moreau is just being a good captain; doing what’s best for the team.

Traktor: shut the fuck up. If Moreau (or anyone else) said this they were being the worst type of teammate and co-worker. It doesn’t make you a good person to throw another human into traffic by squeeling on them in the press.
    (unless they are lying about tabacco not being addictive or poisoning little kids)
    If you really believe he was doing his job by saying this to a reporter, then I hope you never have a leadership position in your entire life, since you have no qualities that would qualify you for it. Go take you’re ass sucking comments away from the places I like to read.
    *I am still being hypothetical about Moreau saying it, even though I bet on him*

LT: sorry for cursing

106. rickibear says:

I’ve read spector for 2 1/2 years now. The words that come to mind when I read his stuff. Marty York.

107. Black Dog says:

Slipper, I hope you don’t mind but I took Hemsky’s confession and fired it up on my site. As much as I could anyways.

Good news boys is we can certainly entertain ourselves if the Oilers don’t turn it around.

Good times.

108. mc79hockey says:

Oh yeah. What’s death to a hockey blog is a mediocre boring team. This has bigtime entertainment potential.

109. Traktor says:

Tracktor: I’ve defended you in the past. That is just bat **** crazy.

Have you ever played on elite level sport were you shed blood for your team?

Played in the AJHL, former scratch golfer, played on Alberta u14, u16 provincial soccer team.

All I’m saying is that going to management really isn’t an option considering how close MacTavish and Lowe are.

Agree completely. No one runs to porridge.

Not even Penner.

111. Black Dog says:

Come on Ty, perk up.

Three years of crap teams and counting.

Imagine if the Canucks hadn’t collapsed in 2006?

112. rickibear says:

I will now go look at Linus Omarks and Eberles ADT stats and feel good about the organization.

113. Iztok says:

“Maybe a trade, then the coach. After this long, a change might be good.”

Short, and to the point.

The man your’e looking for is a Euro.

Iztok: Lubo does get to things before Souray, so that is a consideration.

115. Black Dog says:

Isn’t Sestito Italian?

And he got sent out.

Coincidence? I think not.

116. Iztok says:

Lubo was the first one that came to mind. I really hope not, because its such a Crap thing to do.

117. Coach pb9617 says:

Laviolette would make a decent coach here.

118. Black Dog says:

I wouldn’t worry Iztok. Based on Lubo’s reaction to Lombardi sending him out after he signed his contract I don’t think its him.

Not his style.

Maybe Pouliot? He qualifies as a vet. He was around in 2006.

119. Coach pb9617 says:

Can we start a pool on this?

120. Ribs says:

Well what the heck. At first my mind runs through the veteran Oilers and nothings seems to pan out. Roloson is the only guy that I can see saying something like that and he’s getting love from the coach right now. So it has to be a veteran who is an oiler. My gut wrenches as all I can see is Visnovsky throwing out a loose quote like a hand grenade.

The guys been in LA for so long that the quote makes perfect sense. Losing? Trade players. Still losing? See ya coach. Still losing? You’re in LA.

The context of the quote really needs to be cleared up here. I hope Spector knows the price he’s going to pay for printing that.

121. Black Dog says:

I’m going with Pouliot.

He has motive and opportunity.

122. Schitzo says:

Short, and to the point.

The man your’e looking for is a Euro.

Grebby?

123. Coach pb9617 says:

Iztok: Lubo does get to things before Souray, so that is a consideration.

Beauty.

124. Black Dog says:

Naw Ribs, when Lubo got traded he was actually hurt. He wouldn’t throw MacT under the bus.

125. mc79hockey says:

You can’t call Pouliot a vet, man.

126. Jeanshorts And Baggedmilk says:

Again, if you guys think it’s only one player that feels this way then you need to give your head a shake. Debating on who said it is a moot point. MacTavish has lost the dressing room, and now it’s public knowledge. We’re speculated about it on our blog, and Brownlee and Gregor have said the same thing on Oilers Nation. MacTavish makes bad decisions when managing his assets, and I’d like to see any debate on that.

I challenge someone to find a coach with a tenure as long as MacT’s with a record so mediocre. I’m also willing to bet that had he not won Stanley Cups with this organization many of you wouldn’t be backing him. Take your glory days blinders off, because all your MacTavish love is more repetitive than the Bruce Springsteen song.

127. Black Dog says:

I can call him whatever I please.

2006 baby. He is the seventh longest serving Oiler.

Just sort of in a part time way. Like.

Grebs is eating his supper with a straw. I can’t see him getting out two sentences. Unless he passed Spector a note.

128. Jeanshorts And Baggedmilk says:

Hey Guys I think there’s only a few players left on the roster you haven’t named. May as well go through the AHLers too.

129. Coach pb9617 says:

Quick recap as to who is to blame for this team:

1. Horcoff
    2. Penner
    3. Roloson
    4. Lowe
    5. MacTavish
    6. Katz
    7. Glencross

I miss anyone?

130. Iztok says:

Schitzo: Not sure if Grebby has the balls for it. Plus he’s on the one year plan here.

The context and delivery tell me its a Euro though.

131. Ribs says:

CFP, coach. Don’t forget him. Bastard.

132. Black Dog says:

Go away troll. If us talking bothers you so much then go away.

133. slipper says:

Jeanshortsandbaggedmilk:

You are a colleague of Jonathon Willis, are you not?

134. Jeanshorts And Baggedmilk says:

Slipper:

I wouldn’t say a colleague, we both contribute to Oilers Nation but JW is much smarter.

135. Coach pb9617 says:

The context and delivery tell me its a Euro though.

Euros:
    Hemmer, Lubo

Veterans:
    Moreau, Staios, Roloson, Garon, Horcoff, Hemmer, Cole, Souray, Lubo

Oilers Veterans:
    Moreau, Staios, Roloson, Horcoff, Hemmer

Create your own unions and intersections.

136. Coach pb9617 says:

Revised list:

1. Horcoff
    2. Penner
    3. Roloson
    4. Lowe
    5. MacTavish
    6. Katz
    7. Glencross
    8. Pronger
    9. Pronger’s wife
    10. Lupul

137. slipper says:

Turn away people. Brownlee and Gregor have already weighed in on the matter. Discussion is over.

138. Traktor says:

“The context and delivery tell me its a Euro though.”

Agreed, that’s why I thought it was Smid.

Smid is too nice of a guy and too naive to know he’s been exploited.

Probably went something like:

“What do you think can help the team? A trade? A new coach?” – Spec

“Uh yeah, trade, then maybe the coach” – Smid

139. B.C.B. says:

I don’t think it was Roli
    1) he doesn’t like reporters, or anyone for that matter (as far as I can tell)
    2) he has more to lose then the rest if he said this not less: a) if it got out would anyone resign a 39 backup with a big mouth if Emery can’t get a job, b) he might clear waivers and playing out east and riding the bus would not be cool if you where 39

I don’t think it was Hemsky just a feeling

140. B.C.B. says:

If we are going by phrasing (A Euro) then anyone could be in. Most of the Oilers talk in short phrases, some of them have bad grammer, and all are quoted out of context. this assumption it is a european because it is not a long elegant sentence doesn’t make sense.

141. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Gallows humour is just the best.

Horcoff, in the players lounge, with a broken stick.

142. Fake Craig McTavish says:

The key questions is how many “you knows”.

I didn’t see one and that’s so Euro.

143. HBomb says:

Go away troll. If us talking bothers you so much then go away.

I like the edginess BDHS, but who was that directed at?

This discussion is awesome. Good work people.

144. kinger says:

I think it was Hemsky.

Euro-talk.

145. slipper says:

Slipper:

Way to undercut the comeback I’d prepared.

Is it a slow news day over at ON, or something?

I hope you’re not here to lobby Lowetide to come back.

146. Paulus says:

Blogs like this one and CiO are God-given when the team is losing. This thread is gold.

Oh, and my money is on one of Mikhnov or Rita.

147. bookie says:

I think that the story is less about WHO said it and more about the fact that someone was motivated by MacT’s insane behaviour TO say it.

Can anyone seriously say that MacT has not been somewhat insane this year as a coach? Or is it just that people think he has such a crap team that he is blameless?

148. HBomb says:

Ok, my thoughts:

1) My guess, if you can call him a veteran, is Penner. He was buddies with a bunch of guys who were shipped out for one reason or another (one before he even got here): Lupul, Stoll, Torres, Greene. And really, who would have a bigger axe to grind?

2) My theory on why this happened: whoever said THE quote might have gone to Lowe with their concerns already and had it fall on deaf ears. Once that didn’t work, said individual decided to air the dirty laundry in full view of the public and media. Not saying it’s right or wrong, just saying what I figure happened.

149. Coach pb9617 says:

He’s a mennonite, not a Jehovah’s Witness!

“Uh yeah, trade, then maybe the coach” – Smid

He’s a Euro, not a short bus rider!

150. Iztok says:

“this assumption it is a european because it is not a long elegant sentence doesn’t make sense”

Very valid.

But can you seriously imagine Moreau, Horcoff, Staios…. or Souray shuffling over to Spector with “…First trade, then coach. After this long, change is happy times.”

151. Coach pb9617 says:

Horcoff, in the players lounge, with a broken stick.

Souray, in the shower, with the soap.

152. Matt says:

No dog in this fight, so I just have one take:

‘Jeanshorts and Baggedmilk’ is the worst handle in the history of the internet.

153. Jeanshorts And Baggedmilk says:

Slipper:

No slow news day at ON. Brownlee just wrote a great article about the media scrum MacTavish had today. I suggest you read it.

LT is a big boy and can do as he pleases. I don’t run ON nor do I pretend to be Wanye. I came to see what his take was on the situation and I found nothing but a giant punch bowl of MacT kool-aid. I hope it was cold because it smells awful.

154. Jeanshorts And Baggedmilk says:

Matt:

Ahh someone from Battle of Alberta pokes their little head out.

Jeanshorts and baggedmilk are terrible handles, there are two of us afterall. But I guess you kind of missed that as the whole point I guess.

155. bookie says:

I have never been a fan of Robin Brownlee and more often agree with LT. Yet, I have to say that I TOTALLY agree with Brownlee regarding the need for players to make a nice saucer pass and to take some offensive chances.

This team wins when they play the game with some zip. They are not a crash and bang team. What is the point of having a bunch of sub 200lb guys with skill if you use them as though they were Sortini?

Anyway, after the commments by MacT, I am done supporting him. It was halfway through the LA game when I lost my religion!

156. Coach pb9617 says:

Can someone make this person go away?

Someone close the screen door, you’re letting the flies in!

157. B.C.B. says:

Iztok:
    I can image Moreau, Staois, or Roli saying that: I find that all three of them speak in short, often clique, sentence structures (mostly Moreau). But also other Oilers as well. Not really Souray because I find him to be a very well spoken man.

But the real question of the quotation is context. It is so short that it leaves the contexts wondering (I am assuming Spector did this to protect his source). Is it an answer to a question? Is it in a larger sentence, which might give the identity away? I think, the phrasing of the quote is to short to identify the individual on (especially their nation/ethnic identity).

158. Coach pb9617 says:

Do we have any Euros on board that can authenticate that quote as Czech or Slovak?

159. Traktor says:

Jeanshorts And Baggedmilk: I’ve been trying to convince Lowetide and his readers for 3 years now that MacTavish is the weak link in Edmonton. You’re probably better off folding while you’re not pot-invested like me.

160. Jeanshorts And Baggedmilk says:

Traktor: The lambs must be herded and fed I suppose.

161. Garnet says:

Two things: First, it amazes me how angry the commenters are that a player can see the problems anyone can see with this team. Honestly, a coach in this circumstance tends to get fired. Second, I thought playing Smid on the wing was MacT’s way of daring — or pleading for — someone in management to remove him.

162. mc79hockey says:

Traktor – sounds like you can go join your own at ON.

Willis – please tell your people at ON to tell this fellow to stay away from here. Isn’t there a Blue blog he could be trolling or something?

163. Bob Arctor says:

Spector would have paraphrased anything out that might allow us to deduce who he’s quoting.

If any “veteran” is in the Penalty Box next game, this blog is going to crash.

164. Jonathan says:

Tyler: It’s Lowetide’s blog; if he wants someone to go away, he can say so, and if not, it isn’t my place.

Everyone’s ignoring the obvious suspect:

Zach Stortini.

165. Jeanshorts And Baggedmilk says:

mc79hockey:

So, due to the fact that I don’t share your feelings of love and sentiment that MacTavish is hockey’s version of Vince Lombardi I must be trolling huh? Doesn’t leave much room for debate when your coin has two heads on it, my friend.

I’m hoping Brownlee finds out who did it, enough of Al Strachan getting the scoop.

167. Coach pb9617 says:

168. B.C.B. says:

LT: in the confusion, no one has mentioned this, but the photos of old starlet is priceless. Another beautiful women (whom I have no idea who is) leading into the blog. Good job: attention to details, like this, make your blog a cut above.

169. Coach pb9617 says:

MacT’s 76 yard field goal.

BCB: That’s an extremely beautiful (and very young) Marilyn Monroe.

171. Jonathan says:

Anyone remember Dustin Penner's scrum with the press after getting publicly flogged by MacTavish. They asked him if he had anything to say, and he said "I'm saving it for my book" and refused to take the bait.

Say what you will about Penner, but I don't think it was him. MacTavish has been on him off and on since he joined the team, and I think if he was going to make some comments he would have done it earlier.

In order of probability, based solely on my baseless speculation:

Garon – 25%
    Cole – 25%
    Moreau – 15%
    Stortini – 15%
    Penner – 15%
    Souray – <10%
    Horcoff – <5%

172. slipper says:

Hasn’t the “Kool-Aid” line been used about 500 times in the ON comment section over the past week. Are you hard pressed for new material or have neither one of Robin or Gregor given you the go ahead to think for yourself?

You said you were “astounded” after reading “every single comment” in this thread because of the overwhelming support for MacTavish. I suggest you go back and try again, but this time count the posts that express support for MacTavish’s coaching ability.

I’ve only counted one. How you turned that into sweeping generalization that this site’s commenters are a hive mind, pre-occupied by 1980′s hockey glory; well not only is that mind boggling and unfounded, it’s patently stupid.

You should return to ON, where you seem satisfied to be regarded as the slowest person in the room and, when you’re not beating your drum or sniffing Gregor’s butt, freshen up on your reading comprehension skills.

173. Coach pb9617 says:

(whom I have no idea who is)

Awcomeon, really?

174. Paulus says:

The fire MacT rhetoric has been heard and addressed here and elsewhere. The same folks throughout the Oilogosphere seem to bring up the same goddamn point again and again (fire MacT, Horcoff as #1, etc.), but have no consideration for more moderate viewpoints. Just because some commentors aren't buying advertising space to demand MacT's head does not mean they don't support your point of view,
    JS & BM. Stop being so dramatic.

This thread should have ended with Slipper's fake Hemsky quote.

175. Jonathan says:

JS&BM: Whatever the commenters feel about MacTavish being fired, most of us view him as a quality person/coach.

Personally, I'm on the edge here; this team is underperforming and basically what that anonymous Oiler said summarizes my feelings: a trade, then maybe the coach.

But for a veteran guy who has been to the wars with MacT to slip a knife into his back under the shadow of anonymity is a pretty nasty thing to do, so I think the general feeling is that whoever it was deserves some sort of repercussion.

176. B.C.B. says:

sorry coach, I didn’t know. I’ll try harder next time, but I am a young’en, She died 19 years before I was born, didn’t have much chance to catch the glory (and what glory it was, based on the street net shot and not LT great picture)

177. B.C.B. says:

I tried to type street vent not street net.

But if you didn’t know any better, I guess it could mean I was European.

178. Traktor says:

“Whoa whoa whoa snidley. You can’t change your vote. You already cast your ballot for Horcoff.”

What do you mean?

My distaste for Craig MacTavish has been going on longer before Horcoff.

I don’t even think hate Horcoff. I think any team with Stanley Cup aspirations needs a Horcoff in their lineup but I also think that you need a guy that you can throw out when you need a goal and that isn’t Horcoff. Horcoff’s no better than Mike Fisher. A great #2.

MacT on the other hand is a plague of mediocrity. I wouldn’t give him the sweat off my balls if he was dying of thirst.

180. Jeanshorts And Baggedmilk says:

Slipper:

Had to get that insult you worked so hard on in, huh? Excellent use of your thesaurus all through the burn though.

Telling me to go back to the website that I write for isn’t really much of an insult. Thanks for the laugh though.

If you don’t like my opinion, challenge it and prove me wrong. Or you can take the path which you call me a doo doo head with all the synonyms you can think of. Either way.

181. St George says:

Anyone watching the Flames-Canuks game? Mr. Glencross just scored a beauty Pisani-style take away at the blueline then in to score to put the Flames up by a goal late in the 3rd. Nice piece of work, that Glencross.

182. Jeanshorts And Baggedmilk says:

JW:

I’m not questioning MacTavish as a person. Like I said, saying something to the press wasn’t the best move for a player to make, however you can’t question the decisions he’s made this year.

The poor decisions for player placement and asset management are blatantly obvious up and down this line up. Much like the debate we had on ON last week.

183. B.C.B. says:

BM & JS: Slipper didn't use any words that a thesaurus would be needed for. Unless you had failed to pass grade 9. Was the term "hive mind" to complicated for you? Did you have to ask Gregor to help you read it?
    Seriously, the most complicated word Slipper wrote was 'comprehension'. Can you count the syllables? A hint: clap as you say it.

184. Traktor says:

“I wonder if they’d stay in-house for a replacement or hire a former Oiler who isn’t currently with the team.”

With the perception already that Edmonton needs to step away from the OBC approach I think it will be someone with no previous connections to the Oilers.

Maybe if we wait it out we can land Dave Tippett.

185. Jeanshorts And Baggedmilk says:

I think they would hire from the inside but make the wrong decision. (Kelly Buchberger) With the young players like the ones we have, I feel that Rob Daum would be a great choice. He’s had success with players at the University level although I understand that is a completely different animal.

186. B.C.B. says:

I would vote for Huddy (in house) or Torts (from TSN)

You know, I can’t think of one season that MacT left the station with a balanced team. I thought they’d be balanced this season but center has been an elevator shaft and they seem one short on the blue once again.

The three goalie thing was the latest craziness for the roster, but they had one season when there were too many rookie defensemen and another when the goaltending was not sound or proven.

MacT went a little Don Zimmer this season, but overall he delivered good results based on quality of roster. We need to remember this isn’t the old days when everyone makes the 2nd season and we should also keep in mind his teams haven’t missed the playoffs by a ton too many times.

His teams have been in the card game and one of the real problems imo is that the Oilers never really started the season balanced. There was always a “well if we get lucky here” or “these kids will come along” there.

Hard to compete when the other NW teams are battle hardened from the opening faceoff.

188. slipper says:

Of all the peeps who have commented on this specific thread, I think Willis, Mudcrutch and myself are the only one’s who have not expressed that they think it’s time for MacTavish to be axed.

That’s quite the majority.

Now I know for certain Willis still sleeps in his ’91 Campbell Conference Finals pajamas, so obviously he’s mesmerized by the glory years, and we can attribute his support of MacT to that.

Tyler is a lawyer and naturally he profits off of the suffering of others. Just ask to see his 401K; the ammount the guy has invested in tabacco and coffee beans is disgusting.

I’m the easiest mark for MacTavish, as he and I are both Leos. We defend the pride. Hell, I even share a birthday with Pete Peters.

Speaking of which, what kind of parent calls their son “Pete” when their last name is Peeters? I mean really.

190. B.C.B. says:

I generally leave the defending MacT to my blog, and participate in the discussions of what if.

But I will come out and say MacT is not the problem, I think it is K-Lowe and his mishandling of the roster. To soft young too 6 forwards, not enough depth on the bottom 6, and some question marks in goal. None of this was solved this summer (actually you could say it was exacerbated when they ship of Stoll, Torres, let go of Reasoner and only replaced them with Cole).

191. Jonathan says:

So, moving on a little bit… who’s the replacement when it happens? I think if Dave Tippett’s fired by then, he’d be a good choice. I’ve also suggested Mike Sullivan, but now that Tampa Bay’s hired him as an assistant I’d be nervous.

Marc Habscheid has ties to different folks in the organization. Ted Nolan’s intriguing, but I don’t think any GM with an ounce of self-preservation would grab him. If Pat Burns is healthy he could be an interesting choice.

Robbie Ftorek, Dave King, Duane Sutter, Rick Kehoe and Bob Francis are all interesting long-shot types (and yes, that list is a result of me thinking “hmmm, which ex-NHL coaches might not be a disaster?”).

Oh, and some guys I wouldn’t want to see:

Hartley, Tortorella, Crawford
    Crawford, Quinn, Constantine, Yawney, Savard, Lewis, Paddock

192. Pat H says:

MC79:
    I’m not mad; it doesn’t affect me personally one way or the other. I think that, assuming that it’s one of the six who I identified, they owe MacT enough that they should confine themselves to making these comments to the brass, not making them to reporters. Whoever said it, what they’ve done is create a situation where it’s now going to be a media frenzy. Whoever did this has made things more difficult for MacT and it seems likely that it’s someone who owes him a certain debt…

I apologize if this has already been clarified (I haven’t scoured every comment here). But can’t one say that MacT did a similar disservice to Penner? And maybe not even in terms of the fact that a message was made public, but at least the undue severity of it? So maybe this is actually karma (though I’m not by any means suggesting the comment came from Penner himself).

193. RiversQ says:

Ah, that is beautiful.

I think traktor just found his soul mate(s).

BTW, loved the J.P. Ricciardi analysis. That’s two down, are there any other sports you don’t know anything about?

Anyway, crummy day for the Oilers. Like I said yesterday, I can’t care about MacT anymore, but you wonder the further ramifications of this move. There’s a cancer there now that firing the coach won’t fix.

194. Traktor says:

“We’re trying to preach a power-game to Cogs and Bobby Nilsson,” MacTavish said. “It’s not necessarily their game, but that’s where you find your game.”

Square peg meet round hole.

195. Coach pb9617 says:

Less arguing, more funny stuff. Like this:

End of Days for Mac? A Whodunnit?

196. Jonathan says:

Slipper: I’m a little disturbed that you know that.

And for the record, my personal opinion is that I’d like to see a trade (either for a vet defenseman or a nasty, veteran centre) and then give the roster ten games.

If they’re treading water, or worse, I don’t see how MacTavish can possibly hang on to his job.

197. slipper says:

A friend of mine once bought a 100 dollar Le Car from a guy named Soren Sorenson.

We drove it to Dinosaur Provincial Park and back and upon returning to Edmonton it spontaneously ignited on fire in the middle of Jasper Avenue.

We parts company forked over 50 dollars and towed it away for free.

I remember posting something like this just before the club went on a run in 05-06. That would be my ideal scenario.

We should also talk about who is going to get traded.

199. Jonathan says:

Coach: Thanks for that. It isn’t fair to poor Visnovsky that he has to wear the red dress, though.

Geez, I thought was Paul Coffey.

Newer Comments »