#10 Winter Prospect: Linus Omark

Current Rank: #10
Summer Rank #16

Linus Omark is a very skilled, undersized forward from Sweden. The Oilers site lists him at 5.09, 168. To give you an idea about how small he is, Cogliano is 5.10, 184. Sam Gagner? 5.11, 191. Liam Reddox is 5.10, 180.

I run all of the prospects through Gabriel Desjardins number each season (Gabriel was doing stuff for other leagues long before Behindthenet which you can find right at the top of this blog. If you’ve never been, click through and soon you’ll be wasting many hours on things. Blame Gabriel. He’s no angel) and the players who get good numbers are Russians (the RSL rocks in at 91% of the NHL) and elite juniors (their ATOI isn’t a factor so they can crash the party).

Desjardins liked Omark the day he was drafted and at this point I’m looking for some kind of governor to stop the flood. Here are Linus Omark’s Desjardins equivalencies by season (with his age for each SEL season):

1. 06-07 (19) 82gp, 10-12-22
  2. 07-08 (20) 82gp, 13-23-36
  3. 08-09 (21) 82gp, 24-38-62

Seriously. Desjardins once did another equivalency study that was harder than the rating above. Using the Stalker (the Juggs gun version always adds a couple of MPH) we’d get 82gp, 19-29-48 for him so far this season.

I know what you’re saying. He’s small, he’s an imp skill prospect on a team that has too many as it is, he is one dimensional and MacT cannot juggle any more. I get that. Understand completely. And yet, there it is.

His bio on Eliteprospects says “A flashy player with first-class technical skills and hands. Very creative player with good hockey sense and natural scoring ability. Defense is okay, although it can be fine-tuned. Good skater with great agility and moves. Additional strength and muscles would not hurt.”Guy Flaming says he might come over for 2009-10. I say get him over here and let’s see what he’s got.

33 Responses to "#10 Winter Prospect: Linus Omark"

1. doritogrande says:

Question is, is he going to Mikhnov on us?

I really do fear this. He’s going to come over here and we’re going to make a huge fuss over him for one reason or another. It’ll get to his head and believe that top-6 minutes in the NHL are on his plate. Which of course, should not be guaranteed. He’ll get sent to the minors, because hell if Val Filppula and Jiri Hudler need time in the minors this kid will too.

This did not look too kindly to Comrade Mikhnov, and chances are this will not sit well with Mssr Omark.

Well getting these guys over here seems to be a key for the Red Wings, and Mikhnov didn’t want to play in the AHL so the Oilers did try.

I think the Oilers have had two areas of trouble with Euro’s: the Rita problem, which is gifted kids riding the bench as teenagers in their country’s elite league, and the Mikhnov problem which was basically a game of chicken over a one-way deal.

3. doritogrande says:

Exactly my point. The Oilers as a rule do not do well drafting euros unless they’re playing in/or have committed to playing in the CHL.

Last one I can think of that came over and had any kind of an impact was Markkanen. And he was already a grown-ass man.

I’m kinda young, when was the last kid drafted as an 18 year old to make a difference for this team?

4. Jonathan says:

5. doritogrande says:

“In other words, William Quist isn’t even going to get within smelling distance of your top-20 :)”

Don’t forget Motin and Hartikainen.

6. rickibear says:

The Lulea website says he is 5’10.5″ 173 lbs.

Didn’t KP say he had the same speed as Cogliano when asked about him this summer.

He is the one that has me modt interested. Though I wonder if the SEL Desjardin # is skewed with the creation of the KHL.

I say get him over here. Let him prove himself. He could be another great asset that will come in cheap near the time the Cap goes thud in 2010-11.

7. Schitzo says:

Anyone know if Omark speaks english? That would make a huge difference towards solving any Mikhnov-type problems.

8. eidy says:

pendergrast said he could skate… a grain of salt wouldn’t even begin to touch how much salt should be taken with a pendergrast comment.

Hartikainen was in the summer edition (as was Motin). Quist was not.

Only 10 to go. :-)

10. Kris says:

Prendergast says he can shoot laser beams out of his butt.

11. Kris says:

That is, Prendergast says Omark can shoot laser beams out of Omark’s butt.

12. Schitzo says:

Omark can shoot laser beams out of Pendergrast’s butt?

13. honkey says:

I know most in here never seen Omark play.

Google nhltorrents, they has a bunch of games with Luleå and are open for signup, for those of you who are into that kind of stuff.

For those that dont do torrents but still are interrested could email me since I cap and save all Luleå games for personal use.

14. rananda says:

im not sure cogliano has the moxy/balls to try something like this. how’d it not drop in? tho omark’s prolly eating his meatballs and linginberries through a straw for a while if he tries this in calgary.

15. Ryan Budney says:

Schitzo, all Swedes learn English in school and they do a fine job of it nowadays. So that’s not a problem at all.

16. Asiaoil says:

Cogliano without the speed…..kind of like a margarita without the tequila….what’s the point?

17. jon k says:

How many players make it to the NHL despite diminutive stature?

How many of them are not excellent skaters?

I think the results of those two questions indicate what our expectations of Omark should be.

Still, his scoring rate is prolific and intriguing.

18. Coach pb9617 says:

so he’s Gionta?

19. Chris says:

Smallish forward with questionable footspeed? Can we put him on a line with Schremp and Gagner, hilarity will ensue.

20. Tyler says:

When Mikhnov was drafted, KP said that he was magical and that he had a horn, like a unicorn. I don’t believe anything KP says.

21. Matt N says:

Danny Briere?? or Kyle Wellwood

22. dawgbone says:

Sounds a lot like Zetterberg at 20 years old.

23. Traktor says:

Schitzo: He does speak english. He had an interview on the Oilers site around the time of the prospects camp saying he would come over to NA next year and wasn’t adverse playing in the AHL if management thought it was best.

Omark with the goal of the week in the SEL.

24. rickibear says:

Honkey: KP says he can skate. The video’s shows Omark skating and breaking to the net. Just no sign of the Cogliano and Cole drives to the net. Foot speed doesn’t seam to be the issue. How is he along the boards.

I also notice his statistiscal tendecy to score more than assist has gone to a higher assist count. Is that because he is attempting to feed Harju. Seems to reflect a change.

25. rickibear says:

Traktor: After seeing that goal. Yup speed is clearly an issue. Yesh. His decelerating glide is faster than Shremp or Gagner could ever hope to achieve at full stride.

26. uni says:

As stated before, Omark has said in an interview at the prospects camp that he wants to play in the NHL, that is his goal. What was impressive is that he’s always maintained that and seems to have a realistic view, even saying that he expects fully to play in the AHL for a while and he doesn’t mind doing that for as long as he may have to, even if it’s less money and glory than he can get in the SEL or elsewhere since he ultimately wants to play in the NHL.

I highly doubt we have a Mikhnov situation here. He also seems to have no issues driving into traffic and corners in the offensive zone; can’t say much for the defensive zone though and I don’t know how he isn’t hurt more. The only thing holding this guy back is if he can adjust to the North American game and overcome his size/speed issues which are big hurdles. Statistically he’s not going to make it, but it’s very easy to root for the guy.

Oh, I use myp2p.eu to watch the odd Lulea game at work while I can, can’t ever give a reliable scouting report though as I don’t have the analytical eye that others here have, I’m just a fan.

27. honkey says:

Omarks biggest strength is the play along the boards where he controls the puck and draws penaltys. This is done shift after shift and while SEL has lost some talent to CHL(mostly forwards) there are still a lot of quality defenseman like Jönsson, Timander, Louma, Ragnarsson and quite a few more with both size and skill and he dominates them all right now in that area. After a slow start this season ha has carried the team the last 20 games or so.
    The biggest weakness is his shot which can improve a lot, but he has still managed to score more goals than ever before which is good. But he has and always will be more of a guy who set up other players.

I always been more of a Harju fan myself but Omark has come a long long way in just two years and still aren’t even close to peeking.

He wants to play with the best and he also wants the money that comes with it. I don’t think that’s a bad thing, he will work his ass off to make it to the big show even if it means a season or two or even more in the minors.

He will play for the national team in Russia before christmas, that will be a good test since the hosts are bringing a very good squad.

With respect, there’s just no way this kid is going to be able to win battles with NHL defensmen.

Not at his size.

29. speeds says:

LT: only if you believe that Omark is truly 23 pounds lighted than Gagner.

I’m not saying Omark isn’t, but Gagner doesn’t look, to me, like he actually weighs 191 lbs. I don’t know if there’s much reason to believe Gagner’s listed weight is inaccurate, but Omark’s is accurate, but I think it’s possible they are actually closer than their listed 23 lb difference.

then again, maybe Omark weighs even less than that, and maybe Gagner does weigh that much, I don’t know.

30. Bank Shot says:

Gagner looked hulking in comparison when he sat next to Kane in an interview last season.

31. Julian says:

I’m actually watching Lue..Leala…. Omark’s team play right now… any idea what number his is? Thanks for the heads up Uni…

32. Julian says:

I think he’s number 30 (wtf?) and he just got a PP assist…

33. honkey says:

1G 1A and a stupid penalty in the offensive zone with 5 min left that allowed Djurgården to tie the game.
    Luleå played a lot like Oilers today, outshot and outplayed most of the game but managed to steel a point. Then lost in OT for 6th freakin’ time this season.