Brand New Day

Marc Pouliot could play 20 more years and never play on a more famous line than Crosby-Roussin-Pouliot. However, the race for second place just got more interesting.

Poo has been playing better of late and moving up the depth chart, going from part time #8 hitter to somewhere near the middle of the lineup over the last several weeks. Playing more and playing with better linemates he’s seen his icetime increase steadily: On November 30th he played just 3:02 but has been over 10 minutes for the last 6 games.

He’s been 7gp, 3-0-3 +3 in December.

Today in practice (this is courtesy Jason Gregor and ON) the lines looked like this:

• Cogliano-Nilsson-Hemsky
  • Horcoff-Pouliot-Cole
  • Gagner-Moreau-Penner
  • Brodziak-Strudwick-Stortini

Massive change in overall look in my opinion. The top line is a pure soft minutes group that will look to play against slow-footed brutes and undersized defender. The 2line should be responsible and if Cole ever finds the range could be a deadly group (and can we agree that if this line scores at a decent rate the “Horcoff would be nothing without Hemsky” group will officially go to hell?), the 3line is a nice combination of skills (but shy on speed and shouldn’t be matched with heavyweights) and the 4line is energy and that’s were Brodziak found the range one year ago.

I like the shakeup and think they’ll score goals. There’ll be plenty headed the other way but it was a flood the other way too.

Go Pouliot, for Christ’s sakes. Some of us have been cheering for you for a long damn time and I will accept a 10-12 year career as a solid two-way forward despite the quality of the 2003 draft. This is a huge chance. Time to deliver.

83 Responses to "Brand New Day"

1. jon k says:

The horse has long been beaten to dust and ashes, but it’s still disheartening to see Parise on pace to finish in the top 10 for league scoring.

2. DeBakey says:

Not bloody likely.
    But hope springs eternal

As for Parise
    How would he be doing in he “old NHL”?
    Y’know, the one in place when he was drafted.

3. Fake Craig McTavish says:

“and can we agree that if this line scores at a decent rate the “Horcoff would be nothing without Hemsky” group will officially go to hell?”

And what if it doesn’t? Will there be mea culpa?

4. doritogrande says:

Splitting up one of the most productive lines in all of hockey over the last 9 games? Yeah, this’ll work out. Colour me unimpressed.

On Pouliot/Parise: Fuck Parise, we could have had Getzlaf. People don’t take this angle enough. If they’re pissed that we missed out on Parise, they’re still not looking at BPA. Enough is enough already.

5. jon k says:

As for Parise
    How would he be doing in he “old NHL”?
    Y’know, the one in place when he was drafted.

Who knows? There’s no way of finding out one way or the other. If I wanted to fuel the fire though I’d ask you how Joe Sakic did in old NHL, since the players are essentially identical in height, stature, and playing style.

On the basis of evidence we do have, the results are overwhelming.

6. Scott says:

I don’t know about all of this draft nonsense. I mean, they book Dubnyk in 04′ instead of Radulov, Zajac or Wolski. Sometimes you don’t draft the best guy. It happens. It happens.

Sure, some guys that went after Pouliot are doing way better, like Richards, Kesler and Perry, but then there are also guys doing worse like Stuart, Boyle, Belle and Tambellini. Do you folks expect them to get the very best guy every time?

7. Fake Craig McTavish says:

@ Scott.

‘doing worse like Stuart, Boyle.”

You mean Martha Stuart and Peter Boyle, right?

8. Scott says:

Apparently I forgot to mention that he’s also never been jailed and isn’t dead. So he’s got that going for him too!

9. jon k says:

I think part of the problem stemmed from Parise being the consensus pick at 17, and the Oilers once again taking a calculated risk in going off the board. In this instance at least they got two assets for going off the board though, notwithstanding the bad fortune of the second asset.

10. Risto Siltanen says:

“Getzlaf was also drafted before their pick (after they made the trade) so it’s not like there’s an argument for “they picked Pouliot instead of Getzlaf.”

The Oilers had the 17th pick and traded it to New Jersey.

Parise – 17th
    Getzlaf – 19th

They did have a shot at him.

Here’s a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NHL_Draft

11. Scott says:

Um… they didn’t go off the board. Pouliot was very highly ranked. They traded down and got him at 22nd overall. My personal opinion is that trading down in the draft is stupid in general, but the thought process makes sense. I presume they had four or five guys ranked tightly still available, thought that good players would still be available throughout the top 100 and so added a pick while being assured of getting one of their guys. It didn’t work out, but it’s not like they picked Jesse Niinimaki II either.

12. Risto Siltanen says:

“Um… they didn’t go off the board. Pouliot was very highly ranked. They traded down and got him at 22nd overall.”

You stated that they had no shot at Getzlaf.

You were incorrect.

I was not making value judgments, just stating fact.

13. Bruce says:

While I think 27-10-83 is the long term solution, I don’t mind 12-13-83 for a change of pace. Putting them together for a run of home games makes a lot of sense, MacT will be able to get the match-ups he wants.

What slays me though is putting Pouliot on LW and Penner on RW, spots where both guys have struggled in the past. Gregor was going on about this today, he prefers:

27-10-26
    18-89-78

… and so do I. I’d love to see how 27-10-26 measure up as a PvP unit.

Hopefully MacT will put the big boys out for the PP, where Cogliano’s and esp. Nilsson’s numbers have been dismal two years running. Here’s BtN’s summary “ratings”:

Player ** 2007-08 ** 2008-09
    ———————————–
    Hemsky *** +4.12 **** +3.53

Penner *** +2.80 **** +5.34
    Horcoff ** +0.99 **** +1.62

Cogliano * -3.01 **** -1.74
    Nilsson ** -3.89 **** -3.04

14. Coach pb9617 says:

The Penner line is like a short bus Horpensky. Skill with Gagner, a straight line player with Moreau.

So Penner gets brain-damaged Hemsky and penalty-prone, slow-footed Horcoff. Good luck.

Why break up the only line that could win the nightly battle? Makes no sense.

15. Scott says:

You stated that they had no shot at Getzlaf.

You were incorrect.

What I actually said was:

Getzlaf was also drafted before their pick (after they made the trade)

Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. At the time they picked Pouliot, Getzlaf was already taken. They didn’t have a choice between Pouliot and Getzlaf and pick Pouliot.

16. Fake Craig McTavish says:

While I think 27-10-83 is the long term solution,

Bruce. Exactly what is that is long term solution for?

The lowest scoring team in the WC?

It’s working so far.

I don’t want to drag up old news, the ship sailed long ago. But if we’re going to talk 2003 draft we should have a brief mention of injuries.

18. Schitzo says:

Bruce. Exactly what is that is long term solution for?

The lowest scoring team in the WC?

Yeah, 85 points is way too low of a pace for Hemsky. This new combo should help him hit 150.

19. Fake Craig McTavish says:

85 points ain’t much friend.

Fake Craig MacTavish,

85 points is pretty good, right?

21. Smokin' Ray says:

I just want to see this line together.

Gagner Cogliano Cole.

The speed of Cole and Cogs would be hard to stop. Gagner’s passing would be a huge asset to Cole if he ever wants to be a shooter again. I just think that all around this line would work.

I also don’t think he should have broken up the #1 line.

This is what I would have done. Not much change but change enough.

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
    Gagner Cogliano Cole
    Nilsson Brodziak Moreau
    Strudwick Pouliot Stortini

22. Schitzo says:

85 points ain’t much friend.

You’re right, I mean 10 guys had more than that last year. Clearly our strategy should be acquire 4 or 5 of those 10 players.

23. Dennis says:

The way it was working was one line was rocking and the other three weren’t so it’s not like we’re risking anything by shaking it up and it makes sense to see if 83 and 10 can bring something to separate lines.

Though in terms of match-ups the one with 83 will always be the target and the other night Quinnvelle jumped through hoops to keep Kane/Sharp away from going PVP so other road coaches can act like that as well.

And I’m with the group that doesn’t understand why 27 doesn’t get the PVP gig with 10-26 though I could we could explain it as MacT wanting to put 27-89 back together thought that’s never been any hell unless 83′s riding shotgun.

Two things to close:

- I don’t like 78 playing with 10 because I’ve noticed how 10 doesn’t respect or trust his talents on the ice. Though, 78-26 have some chem.

- All of this won’t mean a fiddler’s fuck if they don’t fix the PK. And the only way that’s fixed is if we pick up a couple of different guys to kill penalties AND we go back to blocking shots and pressuring down-ice.

24. RiversQ says:

Hmph, I still see one line that can play decent opposition.

Penner didn’t do well when he was asked to do the lifting before (and that was just lifting with copious amounts of off zone draws), so I can’t see why it would work this time. That line consists of three guys who haven’t proven capable of moving the puck from the defensive zone to the offensive zone on a consistent basis, which leads me to…

…the other line that will have us reaching for the pills and the bottle during d-zone draws. I don’t hate having 83 on a soft line a la Selanne or Iginla in the olden days, but you have to earn shelter for that line with the rest of the lineup. Good luck.

MacT can rearrange these deck chairs all he wants, but the matchup problem isn’t going away until Pisani gets back and management pulls the trigger on a strong deal.

25. Fake Craig McTavish says:

85 points ain’t much friend.

One would do. Some teams have 2. Some have 3.

26. RiversQ says:

The New Jersey approach to the PK wouldn’t hurt either.

Just don’t take ‘em.

27. jon k says:

One would do. Some teams have 2. Some have 3.

Sorry which teams had 3 players scoring over 85 points last year? Because by my recollection there were two teams who had two such players last year, DET and OTT, and that’s it.

28. oilerdago says:

Smokin Ray is close. Switch out Pouliot and Brodziak and that’s what I’d like to see – for now anyway.

But at the rate their changing lines, I think it’s only a matter of periods before it happens – not games, but periods.

29. Oilmaniac says:

(… the “Horcoff would be nothing without Hemsky” group will officially go to hell?)

Fair enough,.. that would be an ideal situation for eatting crow…

Im looking forward to reading the rest of the responses, but upon first impression:
    - poor penner, relegated to a shiet 3rd line just when he was rebounding from the beginning of the season in that position… wasnt this lesson learned…
    - Interesting to see gagner back in the middle, but is he really the 3C thats needed? its just a wierd line…
    - I dont know about the ‘first’ line.. hemsky is the least soft player, so does that mean he has to be the mucker.. BUT.. It will be intriguing to see what hemsky can do against softies with two skilled players.. my guess is that this line thrives on the rush, a transition counter punch…
    - Fourth line has strudwick standing in as a poor, very poor, mans you know who… I just dont see this line ever producing anything.. brodz can be good, but good enough to carry the line?! storts can ‘draw a penalty’ or two, but, like last night, takes dumb ones that counter the positive contribution…

There should be a ‘pick the period’ MacT pulls out the MacBlender contest..

Cogliano has produced this year when separated from Gagner.

Moreau and Cole together hasn’t worked.

If one is trying to get Gagner going, playing with “grinders”, Penner and Moreau, might be the best last option. The puck will be going in deep, eliminating those g–awful drop passes, and Gagner’s best skill is is improvisation off a cycle. The opposition have been taking away his time and space on the rush on the kid line.

31. slipper says:

One would do. Some teams have 2. Some have 3.

“Some” would indicate a plural, right? So atleast two teams have two of the top 10 players, and atleast two teams have three of them.

That maxes out at 4 teams carrying top ten (above 85 points last season) scoring talents in the league.

Although this is definitely not true, if it were the case then the Oilers would be share this dilemma with 26 other teams.

32. slipper says:

@LT:

A concussion, abdominal tear and a broken wrist will definitely put a damper on a player’s development and potential. Ecspecially considering Poo’s occured in the key seasons of his development, and after he was drafted.

Black Dog had an exceptional post regarding injuries to top end athletes during the Summer Olyimpics. Most people are ignorant to the premium value of health as it pertains to athletic performance.

In #78′s case those injuries have tremendously impacted his career trajectory.

33. bookie says:

Thank goodness, new lines, the team is saved!

34. Chris says:

I know this isn’t the most popular point to make but the only point this year that the second line has looked terribly effective happened to be when both Gagner and Neilson were out of the line up. Right now I don’t think those two players are playing at replacement levels. We can shuffle the deck chairs and Hemsky might be able to bank a few goals in off Gagner’s stick like he did last night, but the second line has had too many passengers this year.

35. bookie says:

36. bookie says:

13 minutes until Christmas Trade deadline freeze…

37. Oilmaniac says:

Bruce:

27-10-26
    18-89-78

… and so do I. I’d love to see how 27-10-26 measure up as a PvP unit.

I like these proposed lines ‘better’… The first two lines will have to produce because the bottom two look like fourth line fodder.. Bahh,.. like someone said, until the pk is dealt with this convo is a moot point…

Oh, one thing about drafting poo… wassup w the oilers drafting sidekicks? poo w crosby, gagner w kane…

38. HBomb says:

I’d have to say Hemsky benefits from playing with Horcoff as well. Those two are head-and-shoulders above everyone else when it comes to complete hockey players on the Oilers right now.

39. Bruce says:

40. Oilmaniac says:

Thanks for the clarification Bruce..

41. Swabbubba says:

Now do I order the PPV to see these new lines…. damn. All the crap abouyt the draft people make it sound like a science… well Detroit goes way off the board all the time. So scouting bureau’s be damned it is still a crap shoot.

42. Coach pb9617 says:

Bruce. Exactly what is that is long term solution for?

The lowest scoring team in the WC?

It’s working so far.

You’re either willfully ignorant, intellectually dishonest or a troll.

In the 9 games when Horpensky was together as the top line:

Penner: 4 G, 5 A, 9 P
    Hemsky: 5 G, 4 A, 9 P
    Horcoff: 3 G, 8 A, 11 P

Not many lines in the west are scoring better than this.

Since Horpensky has been a line:

Horcoff has 61 points in 62 games
    Hemsky has 44 points in 54 games
    Penner has 41 points in 62 games

In their last 36 games together (which would be the games AFTER they found their chemistry last year):

Horcoff: 37 pts in 36 games
    Hemsky: 34 pts in 29 games
    Penner: 29 pts in 36 games

43. Coach pb9617 says:

The puck will be going in deep, eliminating those g–awful drop passes,

No they won’t. Gagner doesn’t throw it deep this year.

//As I recall Pouliot was drafted before his sidekick Crosby ever played a game in Rimouski. Seems to me the Oceanic won something like 2 games that whole year with Poo as their “star”, thus they got the draft pick to nab Sid. Oilers were impressed with 78′s compete level on a shitty team. Should be perfect experience for him to draw on just about now …//

The Oilers drafted Paul Coffey as an 18-year old from a really horrible junior team, and it was considered a reach at the time.

//A large number of Horcoff’s goals are those nice Hemsky feeds accross the zone. I really like Horcoff, but I think it is naive to think that he doesn’t benefit from his linemate being Hemsky.//

Hemsky has done very little at even strength without Horcoff this year and last.

46. Kris says:

When Pisani is healthy, I like:

1. Nilson-Horcoff-Pisani (Let’s hope Nilson can cope with the toughs.)

2. Gagner-Pouliot-Hemsky (All your soft opposition are belong to us!)

3.Penner-Cogliano-Cole (I like to call this the Fat and the Furious line. This line is weird and may fail, but I think it’s fun to see Penner and Cogs racing each other.)

4.Moreau-Brodziak-Reddox (This line can take own zone face offs and not get killed: sort of a second 3rd line.)

47. Kris says:

And of course, sub in a tough on line 4when necessary.

Also, in all seriousness, my 3rd line works as a forchecking line– Cogs is small but his speed makes him good on the forcheck.

48. Coach pb9617 says:

Kris,

The glimpses that we’ve had of Cogliano and Pisani together make it almost a necessity that they play together.

Pisani should help the kid be able to take somewhat tougher minutes.

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky

????? – Cogliano – Pisani

Nilsson – ????? – Cole

Moreau – Brodziak – Stortini

Man, I sure wish the boys had Marty Reasoner.

49. Kris says:

Yeah Cogs and Pisani works.

But my Fat and Furious line might actually forcheck, something the Oil haven’t done all year.

50. Fake Craig McTavish says:

In the 9 games when Horpensky was together as the top line:

Penner: 4 G, 5 A, 9 P
    Hemsky: 5 G, 4 A, 9 P
    Horcoff: 3 G, 8 A, 11 P

Not many lines in the west are scoring better than this.

Since Horpensky has been a line:

Horcoff has 61 points in 62 games
    Hemsky has 44 points in 54 games
    Penner has 41 points in 62 games

Horcoff: 37 pts in 36 games
    Hemsky: 34 pts in 29 games
    Penner: 29 pts in 36 games

Do you really believe that is Hemsky’s upside?

He’s one of the most talented players in the league but he’s been dragging around a couple of wannabees.

There are currently 38 players in the league above a PPG and neither Horcoff or Penner are among that group despite playing with an elite set up man.

Pick your poison.

51. Oilmaniac says:

Godot10:

WHAT!!!…

(refering to this year)
    Except for creating scoring plays out of nothing, highlight reel, individual effort, goals on the rush… does horc have one of those… any answer other than ‘shit no’ is laughable…

When has horcoff set hemsky up for ANYthing this year.. maybe some touches on the pp – not creating, just passing the bisket along to more qualified players… unless hes.. say it with me now… finishing “those nice Hemsky feeds accross the zone.”

To backpedal just a bit; These two do have chemistry, penner too, with the cycle… also, when hasnt hemmer been w horc this year… my memory has them slotted on the same line at least 90% of this season (exception being the gags on the 1st line experiment).. leaving your comment to cover hamsky playing with stoll last year after the injury…

52. Scott says:

Coach,

With your Horpensky stats, why do you have Hemsky playing fewer games?

53. RiversQ says:

Coach: What is this line called?

????? – Cogliano – Pisani

If it happens I vote for Mario Bros.

54. Coach pb9617 says:

K, I’ll post it again so’s ya read it again.

In the 9 games when Horpensky was together as the top line:

Penner: 4 G, 5 A, 9 P / 1 PPG
    Hemsky: 5 G, 4 A, 9 P / 1 PPG
    Horcoff: 3 G, 8 A, 11 P / 1.2 PPG

55. Oilmaniac says:

It seems like people feel horcoff needs to be commended for knowing his role and passing the puck to hemsky so he can do something with it…

Shit… and i had been trying to put away cynical shotgun wrt horc…

56. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach,

With your Horpensky stats, why do you have Hemsky playing fewer games?

Hm. Had to double check the spreadsheets on that one.

Hemsky only played 46 of the first 53 games last year.

57. Coach pb9617 says:

hm.

Let me rearrage these to get the games that Hemsky missed out of the totals for 10 and 27.

58. digger says:

Play mix ‘n match like little girls playing dress-up Barbie all you like, it won’t mean jack shit because none of it deals with this team’s inability to kill a penalty, nor does it deal with the ridiculously lax defensive play by the dmen that have taken the act of watching the opposition whack away at loose puck after loose puck in front of Rollie/Garon/JDD like they’re tourists at Universal Studios marvelling at the sights and sounds, into a bloody art form.

This is MacT trying to solve a Rubik’s Cube while blindfolded. He may get it right, but it’ll have a lot more to do with blind luck than any supposed genius.

59. Fake Craig McTavish says:

K I'll post it again for emphasis.

Penner: 4 G, 5 A, 9 P / 1 PPG
    Hemsky: 5 G, 4 A, 9 P / 1 PPG
    Horcoff: 3 G, 8 A, 11 P / 1.2 PPG

So fucking what?

The team is losing and there are players way above that metric.

If that's the best you've got, you ain't got much.

Here's a list:

60. Kris says:

“Play mix ‘n match like little girls playing dress-up Barbie all you like,”

Okay.

61. Doogie2K says:

Wow, we got some stellar cherry-picking going on here by FCM.

27-10-83 score better together than apart. A stunning revelation, no doubt, that a first line isn’t as good when it’s not playing together.

A point per game is not good enough for a first line player. I’m checking the calendar, and it’s not 1981, so I’m a little confused here.

While I agree that shuffling the bottom six/nine around probably isn’t the big solution to our problems, it’s better than MacT sitting on his hands. Of course, he could tell the boys to start blocking shots, but I guess O Captain My Captain’s broken ankle during the preseason last year spooked him. Too bad, it was a strategy that actually fucking worked, and Lord knows we’re short on those as it is these days.

62. Coach pb9617 says:

Of interest:

Hemsky with with Horpen:
    9GP 5G

Hemsky without Horpen:
    20GP 5G

64. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach: What is this line called?

????? – Cogliano – Pisani

If it happens I vote for Mario Bros.

I want the Oilers to trade for Penguins prospect Luca Caputi

Caputi – Cogliano – Pisani

They would be known as “Our Friends”, “The Family”, “The Capos”

65. Ribs says:

Poo! Poo! Poo-ray! I liked the short glimpse we saw of Horc-Poo (Ha, Horc-Poo) last game and hope there’s something there. If Cole can jump on board too, what the hay. I’d stick Penner in Cole’s place, myself.

Ordinarily I’d be annoyed by the Blender but I’m past that point now. They do it every year so it’s not like it’s a pie in the face and sometimes good things come from it….Sometimes..

Would I have broken up the top line? Probably not. I think maybe the PK is what is costing them nowadays, not the offense.

In any case, Poo-Rooters unite. This could be his golden moment.

66. Coach pb9617 says:

Also of interest:

Since December of ’07, when to most people’s eyes Horpensky started to “get it”, they’ve played 29 games together:

Penner: 24 Points
    Horcoff: 33 Points
    Hemsky: 34 Points

91 Points in 29 games.

I know these are small sample sizes and the erudite clique will nail me to the wall for basing assumptions on a small sample size, but the dropoff in this team and in each of them when they are apart is highly significant. When is they last time the Oilers had a line put up 91 points in 29 games?

The first line is not now, nor has it been the problem for the last two years. Just put them together and let them play. Trade for Marty Reasoner and fix the PK dammit.

67. Coach pb9617 says:

So fucking what?

K, we’ll go s…l…o…w…e…r…

Fake Craig McTavish said…

Then I showed you that both Horcoff and Penner are among that group when they play with an elite set up man.

You posited a premise and I showed it was incorrect. That’s fucking what.

68. Scott says:

Coach,

Do you know the team’s record in those 29 games? I think that line has been together for most of the last twelve games and the Oilers are 6-6. The top line is performing well, but the rest of the team is struggling. They surely need to do something to improve on that, and given that MacT isn’t the one that makes trades, his only option is to shuffle the line-up to find a better combination.

69. Coach pb9617 says:

Do you know the team’s record in those 29 games?

14-12-3

70. Bruce says:

I want the Oilers to trade for Penguins prospect Luca Caputi

Why bother?

Pisani – Cogliano – Stortini

71. Bruce says:

Coach: Do your Horpensky stats include the four games they (mostly) played together Nov 1-2-5-6? Cuz that was when Hemsky started scoring.

72. Bill Needle says:

The big problem with the forwards is Cole. The only thing he’s proven with the Oilers is that no matter who he plays with, he doesn’t score. Until this major problem is addressed, all the debates about Horcoff’s scoring, Hemsky’s giveaways, Penner’s weight, Gagner’s drop passes, Moreau’s dumb penalties, Pouliot’s unachieved potential, Cogliano’s face-off woes, Nilsson’s slump, Brodziak’s inconsistency, Stortini’s hugging and Strudwick’s out-of-position-ness… are moot.

73. Kyle says:

I sense disaster. Penner is no longer with Hemsky (I’m not worried about Horcoff) and Cole is still in the lineup.

Oh well, I agree with you LT in that it can’t be much worse than what we had before.

74. rickibear says:

“One would do. Some teams have 2. Some have 3.”

I look forward to Ottawa and Pittsburg dealing with a 45M cap in 10/11 with:
    Heatley 7.5M
    Spezza 7.0M
    Alfredson 5.4M
    Fisher 4.2M
    24.1M tied up in four players.

Crosby 8.7M
    Malkin 8.7M
    Fluery 5M
    22.4M tied up in 3 players.

Good luck with that.

75. Dennis says:

I think last night was pretty much the game where I mentally deleted Eric Cole from my optimism file; which in truth doesn’t occupy the biggest of spaces;)

Seriously, though, there were a couple of stretches where I thought he was hitting the ball hard enough to get some extra base hits but those days look over now. The warning signs were there right from D1 when we knew that either him or 27 would play with 83 and the other guy wouldn’t and you knew the Oilers had to protect an investment that had four years remaining instead of one. Of course 26 had some chances early on with Horsky and then he was banished to a tough min line and all was done.

In retrospect the best move probably would’ve been to play him with 89-Plus on a soft min line, leave HorPenSky alone and go 18-13-34 for the secondary tough min line.

Of course that wouldn’t have helped us on the PK;)

76. hunter1909 says:

I can’t get Lowe’s draft day comments about Pouliot out of my head, so to paraphrase Oilers own inimitable number 4:

‘He played for the worst team in the Q, but showed up every night anyway. This is exactly the type of player the Oilers covet.’

Isn’t it great to see the Oilers finally get the right player for this 2008-09 team?

77. hunter1909 says:

I don’t think digger is being positive enough.

I really don’t.

78. Bank Shot says:

Of course that wouldn’t have helped us on the PK;)

Playing Cole and Cogliano on the PK probably would have helped the Oilers on the PK early in the season.

79. LMHF#1 says:

How is Pouliot not the black hole on that line? I just don’t see him suddenly being dynamic and finishing a bunch of chances.

80. Dennis says:

BS: I’m really sure if it would’ve. I know that I was all over MacT early on for using 89 on the PK and when the boys dug into my scoring chances they found he was actually one of the better guys.

The way it’s shaking out, old standards like 10-18 have been killing us and I don’t know how bad we were With 34 as opposed to how bad we have been without him – hint: someone should check;) – but he was checking in as our best guy before he went down.

81. Doogie2K says:

When is they last time the Oilers had a line put up 91 points in 29 games?

Considering none of 10-94-83 put up those numbers in ’06, let’s go with 39-94-9, right before the Guerin trade in 2000.

In any case, Poo-Rooters unite.

In a manner of speaking, wouldn’t that make them Roto-Rooters?

@Needle: I wouldn’t say it makes them moot, but it sure doesn’t help anything. I’d say Cole’s lack of scoring is right up with Gagner’s lack of scoring and the PK’s lack of balls as rather critical issues. Sort out two of those three things (preferably one of them being the latter) and things should be alright.

82. Bill Needle says:

Gagner’s 19, he’s gonna be inconsistent and a sophomore slump had a pretty good chance of happening. Cole’s a longtime veteran who seen his scoring fall faster than the TSX since coming to Edmonton. And they’re stuck with him for the season because no one would trade a sack of hammers for him now when they can wait until the summer and buy him for a Chrysler-sized discount.

83. knighttown says:

34 3 19:14 / 0:46 20:00 / 0:00 00:46

Per SHF AVG TOI EV TOT PP TOT SH TOT
    1 10 00:49 08:12 04:45 02:12 01:15
    2 14 00:38 09:02 03:31 01:47 03:44
    3 10 00:45 07:34 04:37 01:51 01:06
    TOT 34 00:43 24:48 12:53 05:50 06:05

What this God-awful mess above shaws is Shawn Horcoff’s shift chart from the Vancouver game. The guy is simply playing too much. Over 24 minutes for any forward is a ton but one that is as inefficient in his style of play as Horc, it’s too much. When you’re tired, you know longer lay down to block shots, win puck battles and even your stick skills go. We’ve got a guy on our team who was a player but is fat now and when he gets going fast at the end of his shift the “speed-wobble” comes out where all the little supporting muscles in your legs are dead and it usually ends up with someone going into the boards.

The total time is bad but look at the one stretch in the second period. Horcoff never saw the ice when the clock showed from the 10-11 minute mark but was on the ice during every other clock minute the entire period, i.e. minute zero, minute 1, minute 2 etc. Other than that one gap that means he never once had a minutes rest on the bench.

If he’s your star penalty killer, someone is going to have to play power-play #1. If he’s your PP#1 guy, he’s going to have to slide to PK#2. And add to that, when he’s burnt, the whole Hemsky line is burnt as happened on the PP that followed the PK.