Coyotes at Oilers, G32/08-09

Each fall, hockey fans are introduced to a new group of phenoms. Many years ago when a terrific young junior defender would get drafted, you’d see articles with titles like “Potvin: the next Orr?” or “Can Lafleur replace Beliveau?” and each team would have one or two ridiculous talents each season.

The Phoenix Coyotes have 12 every year. Seriously. Their list of rookies is so exceptional this winter:

• Mikkel Boedker 33gp, 7-9-16 +4
  • Kyle Turris 31gp, 5-6-11 -5
  • Kevin Porter 26gp, 5-5-10 +1
  • Viktor Tikhonov 33gp, 2-3-6 E

Don’t like that list? Oh, okay. Let’s run last season’s rookies:

• Peter Mueller 81gp, 22-32-54 -13
  • Martin Hanzal 72gp, 8-27-35 -7
  • Daniel Winnik 79gp, 11-15-26 -3
  • Dan Carcillo 57gp, 11-13-24 +1
  • Keith Yandle 43gp, 5-7-12 -12
  • Enver Lisin 13gp, 4-1-5 -5

Admit it: you think I’m making some of these names up. IS there a Daniel Winnik? Yes there is. The Phoenix Coyotes have some tremendous young talent and seem to have traction this season. A team falling out of playoff contention could make a long list of attractive young players as possible return for a Dwayne Roloson, a Steve Staios, an Ethan Moreau, an Erik Cole.

Type.

The Edmonton Oilers will win tonight. There’s no doubt in my mind. Their recent troubles have come at the hands of clearly superior teams and Phoenix is in the same area code as Edmonton (in terms of difficulty). I expect Ales Hemsky will have a big game and the Oilers win by three or more. It’ll also be fun to see which young players a fan might like to see flying north when the swallows come back to Capistrano.

225 Responses to "Coyotes at Oilers, G32/08-09"

« Older Comments

SEE!!!! I told you they’d win!!!

PS, Please disregard the last few games in which I said “Oil will win, book it” and such.

:-)

How many games does Pouliot need to play at a higher level before we can trust it?

I’d say 20.

In the last 9: 4-1-5, +4. And that’s with not a lot of PP time, plus 16 shots on net.

2. docweb says:

Early in the period, I believe on the powerplay, 89 had a 5 second period that just epitomize the play of young players. Fantastic takeaway and move at the blueline followed in 2 seconds by an easy give away…what can you do.

Second nice game in a row by Cole.

Obviously great game by Pou…it’s amazing how things happen for him when he takes the body…good on him.

That should be 21 shots in the last 9 games.

4. PunjabiOil says:

Back from Hudson’s…threw a birthday party, good times. As a bonus, I ended up winning 2 free tickets for being the closest in the prediction of time the first Oilers goal was scored.

I guessed 15:12 remaining in first period – actual was 15:34.

Damn I’m good.

5. Bruce says:

re: PP faceoffs. Phoenix took 7 penalties tonight (counting the 4-minute penalty as one), so Edmonton started 7 powerplays in Phoenix’s zone, and despite having the extra man/men to help with scrambled draws, lost all 7 faceoffs. Horcoff lost 3 out of 3 with a 2-man advantage for goodness sake. Luckily the last two of those 5v3 situations were so extended that they finally got around to scoring, but they were really having trouble getting set up tonight and those face-offs were a big part of the reason.

Nice to see some of the second (and third) tier guys step up tonight, Pouliot was terrific and Stortini and Strudwick both made major contributions.

6. Coach pb9617 says:

I’d say 20.

I’ll go with “More than Robert Nilsson”

7. Coach pb9617 says:

Roloson has finally quieted the Garon club.

8. oilerdago says:

I’d say 20.

I’ll go with “More than Robert Nilsson”

Great line Coach.

9. gary b says:

was MacT’s press conference in the janitor’s closet?

10. slipper says:

MacT should be fired for having played Garon at all. Am I right?

11. Phil says:

HBomb:

I’m leaving for Jamaica tomorrow for a few weeks (fuck this cold ass weather!), so I’ll share my all time favorite drink recipe before I go so I don’t forget:

- 1 part GOOD tequila (I’m partial to Don Julio – Blanco or Reposado will do)

- 2 parts Grand Marnier

- 2 parts Rose’s Lime Cordial

Salted rim, of course. Over ice. Best. Margarita. Ever.

12. Dennis says:

LT: This might have been 78′s best all-around game but as I said earlier I saw him play a lot better in his own zone after he was recalled last March. Back then I watched him like a hawk — and I still sorta do to tell you the truth — and back then he would constantly collapse in his own end and break up a few plays. I don’t think he’s quite as good now in that area but that’s only half the story.

The other half is now he’s starting to feel his oats on offense with plays like that give-and-go with 13 and also a couple of signature plays like that jam play from the left side plus the way he’ll go around to the left of the goalie and try and sneak passes out to the slot or point. I still see some nice little glimpses with him and 26 but if he fleshes out 89-26 then you’re back to guys playing out of position and we know where that’s gotten us.

Oilers didn’t allow a chance in either of those two mid-frame PP’s and that’s progress. The shot-blocking still isn’t there but there’s more down-ice pressure so let’s see how it goes. I know it started to look a lot more familiar to me tonight.

Back to 78 and the rest of the kids, I really don’t know where a secondary tough min line’s gonna come from. I guess you could go 34-26 on the wings and throw in 78 in the middle but then 26′s most likely on the sulk because he doesn’t have a chance for offense. I think we need another faceoff guy plus another forward to go with that and the two of them have to be able to kill penalties. Plus we need one more D.

13. Doogie2K says:

You should all visit my new site, http://www.fromthepoint.ca. The only stat I track is rushes given away by blocked point shots.

Is it a little sad I actually went to check it out? Also, you need “blind drop passes to nowhere.”

It just seems as if Moreau is stuck in the “hack and wack” era and can’t escape.

Two years off: great for the body, horrible for the mind. (Not great for the body: blocking a shot with your elbow. How many weeks before we see another block, now that that’s happened?)

Turris spends a ton of time on his knees.

That’s what she said.

14. HBomb says:

Back from Rexall….

I think you could make the argument that this is Pouliot’s best NHL game.

Very much so Lowetide. Pouliot was great tonight, made a ton happen in the positive sense.

PDO: Jokinen was fucking invisible most of the night. Funny how the guy goes into a division with San Jose and Anaheim and his offensive production drops off, eh? I take Horcoff over Jokinen every day of the week.

Oh, and to the couple hundred morons who boo whenever Horcoff is announced over the PA system (such as for the starting warm-up), no offense, but do the human race a service and don’t reproduce, you mouth-breathing jackasses.

Not the BEST night from the top line, but Hemsky drove the bus on the PP, without question. Two 5-on-3 goals, but damn, there’s only 2-3 set plays in the playbook right now. Too damn predictable.

I feel sorry for Smid, having to drag the corpse of Steve Staios around the ice with him. Ditto for Pouliot and Cogliano when it comes to Moreau (Hey, put those two with Pisani when he comes back, give Gagner/Cole Nilsson when he gets out of the doghouse, and drop Moreau down with Brodziak/Stortini, and we might have something here…)

Gagner’s playing better, ditto Cole. Reddox, however….he skates really fast and doesn’t do much else.

I’ll give the decision to Strudwick in that bout with Carcillo (with authority). Must have knocked a few IQ points off for Daniel, because he went “full retard” in the third period. Gretz was NOT happy on the Coyote bench.

15. bookie says:

Roloson has finally quieted the Garon club.

Nope, I still feel that Garon has been mishandled/miscoached.

I fully admit though that going into this season I thought Roli was to old and his reactions were slow. I liked Roli, but felt he could no longer perform. Roli has quieted me (proven me bluntly wrong) on that point. Now fix Garon and then you have assets!

16. bookie says:

What’s the consensus on Gretzky’s facial hair – it looks kind of coach-ish, I think.

To be honest, I can’t figure the guy out at all, he should be at home hanging out with his wife or friends or something. No need for money, no need to prove anything and here he is coaching the Coyotes. I give him credit for it, in many ways he took a few steps down from the podium he was on to take on another challenge.

As for the facial hair, whatever covers the ugly mug is good!

17. docweb says:

“to the couple of hundred morons who boo whenever Horcoff is announced”

I don’t get it either. Similar to booing Smyth or Weight. If you don’t like them just shut your piehole and leave it like that. Don’t lump the other 16,239 along with you because of your big yap.

18. Derek says:

Really? People actually boo Horcoff at Rexall? I’m at the bottom of the province so I don’t get to attend too many Oiler games, but this is a little unbelievable… no?

This is your first line center, the guy responsible for taking on the offensive stars in the league night in and night out, an excellent compliment to Ales and he’s getting booed at home?

Wow things are a little uglier at home then I had imagined.

19. HBomb says:

People boo Horcoff, yet they’ll jack off over Ethan Moreau making a block on a shot and possibly breaking his wrist in the process, despite the fact Moreau’s been pure shite this season, especially since November 1st when his “run of sevens” in the offensive department came to an abrupt halt.

Between shit like this and the continued booing of Smyth, I don’t “get” Oiler fans these days.

20. Coach pb9617 says:

It’s because Horcoff doesn’t wear a star spangled thong.

21. boopronger says:

Geez there is a lot of pouliot love around here. Despite not playing alot of pp time LT? Watching the game i couldnt believe how many times I saw Poo on the pp and my feelings were confirmed when i saw that he had the 4th most pp time among oiler forwards with 5:26.

boopronger: I meant overall. Overall MP isn’t really a PP option. If he gets PP time he might break 30 point this season, which considering the other things he’s doing would rate a pretty nice player.

23. digger says:

For the very first time, last night we saw the Marc-Antoine Pouliot that the Oilers were hoping he would become after they drafted him over 5 years ago…the guy who was Canada’s top scorer at the 2003 U18 Worlds once upon a time.

There may be a top 6 future for him yet on this team, if he continues to build on his confidence. It doesn’t hurt that he seems to have MacT in his corner, at least for the time being.

24. Dennis says:

Who else was on the roster of that U-18 team?

I never had any idea that he had a big showing like that. All along I was hoping we’d get a 50 point guy who could play secondary tough min.

25. digger says:

Can’t say if he outplayed them, but he outpointed guys like Getzlaf, Steve Bernier and Jeff Carter.

IIRC this tourney was every bit as big a reason why the Oilers drafted him as was his performance for a horrifically bad Rimouski team.

« Older Comments